PDA

View Full Version : Dorin Dickerson to WR!!??

FUNBUNCHER
03-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Just thinking out loud, didn't see Pitt play much last year, but is there a reason why Dickerson can't play out wide???

6'2, 226#, and ran a 4.40 at the combine. Physically, he reminds me of Andre Johnson.
Is there a reason he's not a candidate to switch positions, since so many pass catching TEs in today's NFL are blown up WRs anyway.

descendency
03-04-2010, 10:55 PM
What's the difference really? A few routes in the route tree?

ElectricEye
03-04-2010, 11:27 PM
What's the difference really? A few routes in the route tree?

There's a really, really big difference. A few routes in the route tree just doesn't do the entire thing justice.

As far as the Andre Johnson stuff...Dorin Dickerson is not Andre Johnson. I think I've seen enough of him to say that much. Not even sure he has a true position at the next level. He's not quick or sudden at all and he's a fairly poor route runner. He's not big enough to be a tight end. He's pretty much an H-Back type guy, who in the right place, his athleticism could shine. Someone might try him at wide receiver, but he plays with heavy feet despite his straightline speed.

prock
03-04-2010, 11:54 PM
There's a really, really big difference. A few routes in the route tree just doesn't do the entire thing justice.

As far as the Andre Johnson stuff...Dorin Dickerson is not Andre Johnson. I think I've seen enough of him to say that much. Not even sure he has a true position at the next level. He's not quick or sudden at all and he's a fairly poor route runner. He's not big enough to be a tight end. He's pretty much an H-Back type guy, who in the right place, his athleticism could shine. Someone might try him at wide receiver, but he plays with heavy feet despite his straightline speed.

They might as well make him a Dallas Clark-type tight end. Slip him in the slot, matchup problems galore?

DoughBoy
03-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Reminds me of Matt Jones.

Caulibflower
03-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Just thinking out loud, didn't see Pitt play much last year, but is there a reason why Dickerson can't play out wide???

6'2, 226#, and ran a 4.40 at the combine. Physically, he reminds me of Andre Johnson.
Is there a reason he's not a candidate to switch positions, since so many pass catching TEs in today's NFL are blown up WRs anyway.

Not to mention his bench reps and vertical leap (43.5 inches ?!?!?!) would have been top WR marks, and his broad jump would have been second best. From a pure "workout numbers" standpoint, the reason he's being looked at as an H-back are in the agility tests; he ran just under 7 seconds in the 3-cone, (verrrrrry pedestrian for a wideout) and his 20 yard shuttle wouldn't have cracked the wideout top-ten either. A lot of his touchdowns were on wide-open throws- some of that can be attributed to his speed, but I'd almost suggest that he kind of had a lucky season, as far as having 10 touchdown catches. That said, when I see him running in the open field I think he looks a lot like Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas. I think he's an interesting prospect, but too many of his catches came with him running across the field (away from some poor linebacker who doesn't run a 4.4 flat) to get a good idea if he could consistently match up with NFL cornerbacks. Here's a highlight video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9fZQpuoJ_Q

niel89
03-05-2010, 02:30 AM
They might as well make him a Dallas Clark-type tight end. Slip him in the slot, matchup problems galore?

I was thinking the same thing. However even Dallas Clark has 30 lbs on him. He really needs some more weight

TACKLE
03-05-2010, 03:34 AM
Reminds me of Matt Jones.

A 6'6 235 QB turn WR reminds you of a 6'1 225 H-BACK/WR? Please explain.

ectuberider
03-05-2010, 03:46 AM
Both Jones and Dickerson have good straight line speed but have heavy feet when it comes to making quick cuts.

niel89
03-05-2010, 03:55 AM
What players are examples of actual H-backs in the NFL? I hear that term a lot but I dont know of that many who are Hbacks

underscore
03-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Dickerson WAS a wideout at Pitt (as well as a RB and LB). If he couldn't hack it at WR in college, how will he do it in the NFL?

DoughBoy
03-05-2010, 04:36 AM
A 6'6 235 QB turn WR reminds you of a 6'1 225 H-BACK/WR? Please explain.

Read the post below yours.

Addict
03-05-2010, 05:34 AM
his stock as a TE is much higher than his WR stock is. Really it makes more sense for him to stay at his position.

Day One Pick
03-05-2010, 09:18 AM
What about running back? He was an All-American high school running back who was considered too small to play RB in college, so he moved to receiver. Now at 6-1, 226 with 4.40 speed he looks the part.

He just really got jerked around by the Pitt coaching staff in my opinion.

superman
03-05-2010, 09:51 AM
i've wondered what is an h back also. where do they line up? what kind of routes?

nepg
03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
H Back lines up off the line or in the backfield.

Dickerson is similar to Vincent Jackson in almost every way. He's a WR in the NFL.

superman
03-05-2010, 11:01 AM

Dickerson is similar to Vincent Jackson in almost every way. He's a WR in the NFL.

so the only diff between them and a te is scooting back off the line? are most their patterns in the flats being the qb's check downs? or do they run te routes? do they block?

nepg
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Cross between slot receiver, FB, and TE really... Keith Byars is the classic example. Chris Cooley is the prototype for today's standards.

DJC
03-05-2010, 11:23 AM
His measurables are eerily similar to this man

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/2418.html

Didn't the Chargers try him at TE before moving him to WR recently?

ElectricEye
03-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Vincent Jackson is 6'5, and a big tall 6'5 at that. Dickerson is a squatty 6'2. That alone throws that off.

You really have to question why a guy with his kind of measurable ability did most of his damage on underneath routes, besides the 5 or so times when he got open up the seam with his speed.

underscore
03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
What about running back? He was an All-American high school running back who was considered too small to play RB in college, so he moved to receiver. Now at 6-1, 226 with 4.40 speed he looks the part.

He just really got jerked around by the Pitt coaching staff in my opinion.

Too small to play RB? He was 6'1, 205 as a freshman.

Dickerson wanted to play WR in college and chose Pitt because other schools didn't think he'd cut it at WR and wanted him at RB.

Day One Pick
03-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Too small to play RB? He was 6'1, 205 as a freshman.

Dickerson wanted to play WR in college and chose Pitt because other schools didn't think he'd cut it at WR and wanted him at RB.

I'm not sure how accurate that info is. His size is right, but he was a lanky looking 205. He just didn't look like a college RB.

underscore
03-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Dickerson measured in at 6'2, 202 at the April 2005 State College Nike camp.

Caulibflower
03-08-2010, 12:32 AM
I think Leonard Weaver might be a good guy to keep in mind. He was a 6'0" tight end at Carson-Newman who had 27 catches for 571 yards and 8 touchdowns at the DII level. He got moved to "fullback," obviously, but this is the kind of guy you think of when people say "H-Back." He's a lot bigger than Dickerson, and Dickerson is considerably faster, but I could see a team using Dickerson the way Seattle and Philly used Weaver; swing passes and maybe some runs. Anyone see Weaver catch those two long touchdowns against San Fransisco a couple of years ago? That's what an H-Back is supposed to do.

And I actually don't get why people are always calling Chris Cooley "the prototypical H-Back." I think it has to do with where they have him line up; sometimes he starts in the backfield. I guess if I was to answer the question regarding, "What is an H-back?" I'd say, "It's a receiving fullback." If we don't count Cooley as an "H-back," I'd say there are only two prominent ones in the league; Leonard Weaver and Peyton Hillis. So people are saying Dorin Dickerson could pan out like one of them. Dickerson is way faster than all of these guys, though....

SwagU
03-08-2010, 12:47 AM
I think a great comparrison for Dorin is the legendary Shannon Sharpe. Obviously im not saying Dickerson is goona be a hall of famer or be even half as good as Sharpe, but they do comapre well. Both are 6'2", 228 and I think like Sharpe, Dickerson would pose matchup nightmares for LB and CB, by being too fast for LB's and too physical for CB's.

brasho
03-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Both Jones and Dickerson have good straight line speed but have heavy feet when it comes to making quick cuts.

And both had serious trouble getting separation and ever showing that speed.

brasho
03-08-2010, 12:26 PM
And I actually don't get why people are always calling Chris Cooley "the prototypical H-Back." I think it has to do with where they have him line up; sometimes he starts in the backfield. I guess if I was to answer the question regarding, "What is an H-back?" I'd say, "It's a receiving fullback." If we don't count Cooley as an "H-back," I'd say there are only two prominent ones in the league; Leonard Weaver and Peyton Hillis. So people are saying Dorin Dickerson could pan out like one of them. Dickerson is way faster than all of these guys, though....

You say tomato I say... an H-Back is a receiving TE that is too small to line up as an inline blocker and has to be set off the line. HBacks are generally fast enough to put out wide in the slot and still run routes.

Dickerson reminds me more of Anquan Boldin from a physical perspective. Dickerson doesn't run as fast as he times (4.40) and Boldin runs faster than he timed (4.68).

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2010, 12:32 PM
I think a great comparrison for Dorin is the legendary Shannon Sharpe. Obviously im not saying Dickerson is goona be a hall of famer or be even half as good as Sharpe, but they do comapre well. Both are 6'2", 228 and I think like Sharpe, Dickerson would pose matchup nightmares for LB and CB, by being too fast for LB's and too physical for CB's.
Physically, this sounds like the most apt description of Dickerson's skillset.

He likely will be used in some sort of hybrid WR/TE/Hback position in the pros; whenever I think of what Dickerson could do at the next level, the word 'mismatch' always keeps coming to mind.

BMS
03-08-2010, 02:59 PM

Seriously? No, just no.

FrankGore
03-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I'd compare him to Delanie Walker of the 49ers. Too short to be a TE, but too thick and not quite quick enough to be a full-time receiver. Walker has a role as secondary TE/H-back type and he causes some mismatches at times, I think Dickerson will be a similar type of player.