PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds = Elvis Dumervil?

coCANES17
03-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Does anyone else think this would be a fair comparison? Their basically the same size (Worilds might have it by an inch or so), the same speed (mid 4.7s), and they seem to play a similar style. Iíve been watching some highlights from the Alabama, Nebraska, and Tennessee games from this past year and Worilds definitely had a few stick out moments

He seems to have that real explosive up the field mentality to beat OTs with his first step speed. He also looks at times like heís got enough strength to give a decent enough bulrush as well. Against the run heís a little questionable as he does seem to get washed down a little more often then he should. Thatís kind of expected though when youíre giving up 30-40 pounds to offensive lineman. It doesnít look like he has the greatest awareness in the world either but it helps when you have his type of speed to compensate.

Another plus is that he seems like one of those relentless ends that never give up the chase which you have to appreciate. Heís one of those guys that can just frustrate an offensive lineman throughout the whole game and be a pain in the butt. Drew Davis of Alabama looked especially frustrated by him.

I know there are a lot of people out there that want to categorize him as a 3-4 OLB because of his size. To me though, he looks like he can find a role as at least a quality situational pass rusher in a 4-3. He has the look of a really great undersized speed rusher.

J-Mike88
03-17-2010, 08:47 PM
I guess by no reaction/replies, I am not the only one who has yet to watch this guy play.
I also am curious about this guy after reading a lot about him.
The video you saw of him, can you post it?

thetedginnshow
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
If he can stay healthy, he could definitely be a beast in the 3-4. Same could probably be said for Sapp though.

Prowler
03-17-2010, 08:56 PM
dumervil was always good at getting at the qb, in college he had more sacks in one season than worilds has had in his entire career. plus he was the best at forcing fumbles. other than that they have similar builds. worilds is taller, but then again so am I. as mentioned above, worilds should be really good in a 3-4.

redbills
03-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Jason Worilds = Chris Ellis ????

GoRavens
03-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Worilds isn't nearly as explosive as Dumervil.
Dumervil is a unique player because his short stature, and elite passrushing technique allows him to slip right past bigger tackles.
Worilds is good, 5th roundish, but no where near a double digit NFL sack artist

TACKLE
03-17-2010, 10:27 PM
Dumervil is a unique player because his short stature, and elite passrushing technique allows him to slip right past bigger tackles.
Worilds is good, 5th roundish, but no where near a double digit NFL sack artist

Worilds is as explosive as Dumervil. Worilds first step is elite and he proved it at the combine running the fastest 10-yard split of any pass rusher in the draft.

Aloysius
03-18-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm with Tackle on this one: Worilds certainly is explosive. He can be a bit inconsistent with how he gets off the ball - sometimes slower than he should, other times too hard & out of control - but it's a work of beauty when he gets it right. If you can, check out his sack in the Boston College game this year - I don't think any tackle could have stopped him from getting to the QB on that play.

What concerns me about Worilds is that he didn't consistently look as good as he did in the games the OP mentioned (Alabama, Nebraska, Tennessee). The first two games were early in the season, when he looked both strong and explosive; the third game was after having some time off to rest before the bowl game.

From what I saw, Worilds seemed to wear down a bit as the season went along, seemingly losing some of his strength and relying more on pure speed to get past offensive tackles. In some games, he simply was outplayed by opposite side end Nekos Brown, who's considered more of a late round/UDFA talent.

For a prospect that's had multiple shoulder injuries, seeing that kind of deterioration during the season is a significant concern. It could be what prevents Worilds from ever living up to the Dumervil comparison, or the DeMarcus Ware one I was using early on in the season.

Finnegans Wake
03-18-2010, 08:38 AM

Yeah, he's unique.

He and James Harrison both.

BuddyCHRIST
03-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Like said, Dumervil is a unique guy because most DE's/OLB's at his size don't pan out in the pro's. He's just a guy who has been blessed with the ability to play football, don't forget he had over 20 sacks in his last year. So everyone with similar tools isn't going to have the same success.

RWills
03-18-2010, 09:18 AM
He wore down because he was playing out of position. He was one of the top guys in LB drills at the combine, has a great first step and the 2nd fastest 10 yard split of all transition players. Other than that, I do not know how he is at stopping the run, or if he is a good locker room guy or not.

Aloysius
03-18-2010, 03:55 PM
The workout at Virginia Tech is finished and junior defender Jason Worilds impressed scouts on hand. Worilds averaged in the low 4.5-second area during his two attempts in the forty (4.47 and 4.55). His short shuttle time of 4.08 seconds was solid and Worilds posted a broad jump of 9í 10íí. via here (http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=1485).

That should give a nice little boost to his draft stock.

Scott Wright
03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
If you look up "Fast Track" in the dictionary there is a picture of a Hokie.

no bare feet
03-18-2010, 04:03 PM
I have him projected to be a 3rd round pick. If I was to guess a team like the Browns, Bills, Packers of Chiefs will draft him. Why don't I just say any team that runs a 3-4 defense?

He has all the talent in the world yet has some durability issues.

Aloysius
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
If you look up "Fast Track" in the dictionary there is a picture of a Hokie.
Fair enough. Too bad it didn't seem to do much for Stephan Virgil (4.64).

Scott Wright
03-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Fair enough. Too bad it didn't seem to do much for Stephan Virgil (4.64).

Actually, Virgil ran two tenths of a second faster at Va Tech than he did in Indy.

Aloysius
03-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Actually, Virgil ran two tenths of a second faster at Va Tech than he did in Indy.
Whoa. I stand corrected...and feel stupid.

I remember the NFL Network's initial times for Virgil were in the high 4.6s, low 4.7s. Guess those must have went up to the 4.8s when they released the "official" times.

Scott Wright
03-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Whoa. I stand corrected...and feel stupid.

I remember the NFL Network's initial times for Virgil were in the high 4.6s, low 4.7s. Guess those must have went up to the 4.8s when they released the "official" times.

In the official report they list Virgil at 4.83 and 4.84.

Either way it's picking nits but the Hokies definitely ran faster on their turf, as always.

Aloysius
03-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Guess you're right.

Anyway, I suspect the most important part of Worilds' draft season was his Combine medical evaluation, not his 40 time in either locale. You have to wonder whether the repeat shoulder injuries will raise some red flags.

Ironically, Worilds was more productive playing with a shoulder that was popping in & out in '08 than he was with two healthy wings in '09.

scpanther22
03-18-2010, 07:02 PM
Virginia Tech outside linebacker-defensive end Jason Worilds turned in an impressive Pro Day workout today, running the 40-yard dash between 4.47 and 4.55 seconds for a 4.51 average
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Jason-Worilds-runs-in-high-44-low-45-range-today.html

regoob2
03-18-2010, 07:22 PM
He's similar to Darryl Tapp.

brasho
03-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I was going to say Darryl Tapp as well. Dumervil is really short, Worilds is just short, Worilds might be a step or two faster as well and tougher against the run, but Dumervil the better pass rusher.

Scott Wright
03-18-2010, 07:40 PM
He's like Tapp and Dumervil, except for the actual production.

Addict
03-18-2010, 07:44 PM
He's like Tapp and Dumervil, except for the actual production.

as always Scott puts the hamma down