PDA

View Full Version : William Rose FB FAU

batsandgats
03-06-2010, 04:47 PM
Didn't see him listed on the main page and searched for him and didn't see him listed except for threads from last year, so wasn't sure where to put this. Watching his tape he looks really impressive. He can run, receive and block. Just ran a 4.53 at FAU's pro day, was the second fastest player on his team. Had 947 rushing yards for the past 3 seasons averaging 5 ypc and had 90 catches for 740 yards and 13 tds overall. Could be a good versatile fullback at the next level, could be a steal in the 6th or 7th round. I know he didn't play at a big school, but neither did Weaver and hes one of the best versatile fullbacks in the NFL

Nard_Dog
03-06-2010, 09:46 PM
He's one of my top full backs. Weaver is a solid comparison. He does remind of Peyton Hillis as well. Both have solid athleticism.

batsandgats
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
nrpByY1qHG4
a video I found of him. Doesn't show much of his blocking though, just a few clips.

Where do you think he should go in the draft? or should he be picked up as an UDFA?

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
nrpByY1qHG4
a video I found of him. Doesn't show much of his blocking though, just a few clips.

Where do you think he should go in the draft? or should he be picked up as an UDFA?

He really would need to improve as a lead blocker in the NFL if he is going to be a true FB type, and I'm the first one to say you don't need a mauler at FB to have a good FB, but he seems to go in without total control of his body and gets out of position, and as a result, will only get a piece of the man he is blocking. This video doesn't show him in pass protection at all, so there isn't much to go off there.

His athletecism is obvious though, and you can say is is playing "slower competition", but is is obviou he has athletecism for his size. He is very quick to go along with his good size. I noticed he prefers to hold the ball in his left hand, and if you look over that tape, most of his effective runs are to the left. He uses his stiff arm quite a bit, but not in the sense that most back use it, he uses it to leave space so defenders can't get to him as easy, it isn't a devastating shot he gives. He looks like he has very good hands, but he should look that way in this type of tape. He looks like the type of FB that will at least get a shot in a camp if he isn't drafted. His abilities as a runner and receiver do remind me of Weaver a bit, so I wouldn't mind the Eagles giving him a shot at camp in case Weaver would get hurt. I think his 3 cone should be pretty good for his type of back going off of what I can see on this tape, do you have that number?

batsandgats
03-09-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't know, I see him using holding in his right hand quite a bit in the beginning and the left one the second half. From what Ive seen watching FAU he is good at pass protection, a lot of the 3rd and longs he would be the only back in there and would stay for pass protection. I do notice that he tends to throw his whole body into some of his blocks, literally which you are right, he only sometimes gets a piece of a defender.

I don't remember him dropping any passes except one game against Michigan State where it was raining, but then again I didnt watch every FAU game, they dont' come on often. He had some nice plays against Nebraska which has a good defense.

Not sure what his 3 cone drill time is id have to look it up, I know he was one of the top performers in every drill at his pro day, and was faster than the wide receivers and other backs in the 40, the only FAU player faster than him was a db.

Edit: found it
•Broad jump: 9.10 1/2
•Vertical jump: 34
•Bench Press: 21
•40 yard-dash (10-20-40): 1.62-2.69-4.53
•20 shuttle: 4.26
•60 shuttle: 11.70
•3-cone drill: 7.04

not the best 3 cone drill but its not bad for a versatile fullback. (I think the bottom of top performers for runningbacks was 6.98, but they list rbs and fbs in the same category so I don't know how to compare it to other fullbacks times. His other drills would put him in the top performers for runningbacks at the combine. His 40 would probably translate into a 4.6+ electronically though.

I wonder how hard it would to teach him better blocking and if he would retain his speed adding a little bulk?

I was hoping the Saints would pick him up in case Heath Evans wasn't a 100 percent or got hurt again. The Saints originally wanted Weaver but Philly picked him up and we got Evans who has been good until he tore his pcl.

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know, I see him using holding in his right hand quite a bit in the beginning and the left one the second half. From what Ive seen watching FAU he is good at pass protection, a lot of the 3rd and longs he would be the only back in there and would stay for pass protection. I do notice that he tends to throw his whole body into some of his blocks, literally which you are right, he only sometimes gets a piece of a defender.

I don't remember him dropping any passes except one game against Michigan State where it was raining, but then again I didnt watch every FAU game, they dont' come on often. He had some nice plays against Nebraska which has a good defense.

Not sure what his 3 cone drill time is id have to look it up, I know he was one of the top performers in every drill at his pro day, and was faster than the wide receivers and other backs in the 40, the only FAU player faster than him was a db.

I wonder how hard it would to teach him better blocking and if he would retain his speed adding a little bulk?

Blocking is all about gaining position, technique, and leverage. He has the speed and quickness to get himself in postion to make any block, but he needs to learn how to get there so he won't be out of control. (Basically, he needs to learn the technique to set him up to be in position to make a successful block). He needs to learn how to get to where the defenders will be, he almost seems like he is running where they are, which gets him out of position. He needs to take angles like a tackler would toward the ball carrier, but obviously his objective is different, lol, he'd be seeing the "ball carrier" as his blocking assgnment. Getting in position is half the battle for him, once he is in a favorable position to make those blocks, he could become a more successful lead blocker, but it seems he needs to work more on his hand placement, footwork in open space (for blocking, not with the ball) and blocking technique. I saw him blocking into the wrong should twice on there the first time I saw the tape, but really, his problems as a blocker all can be worked on. Of course he will need to bulk up a bit, but with his athletecism, and how they train players in the NFL, he will be able to gain strength without losing much, if any, speed.

PACKmanN
03-09-2010, 12:43 PM
How tall is he? 5'10?

ALP1987
03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
How tall is he? 5'10?

His profile says 6'1" 236.

He looks good on film. Should be a good UDFA signing.

batsandgats
03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Hes pretty close to 6'1, measured in at 6-0 5/8

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Edit: found it
•Broad jump: 9.10 1/2
•Vertical jump: 34
•Bench Press: 21
•40 yard-dash (10-20-40): 1.62-2.69-4.53
•20 shuttle: 4.26
•60 shuttle: 11.70
•3-cone drill: 7.04

not the best 3 cone drill but its not bad for a versatile fullback. (I think the bottom of top performers for runningbacks was 6.98, but they list rbs and fbs in the same category so I don't know how to compare it to other fullbacks times. His other drills would put him in the top performers for runningbacks at the combine. His 40 would probably translate into a 4.6+ electronically though.

I was hoping the Saints would pick him up in case Heath Evans wasn't a 100 percent or got hurt again. The Saints originally wanted Weaver but Philly picked him up and we got Evans who has been good until he tore his pcl.

Those are some good numbers for sure. Like you said, the 3 cone wasn't what I expected, ( closer to 6.95) but both his shuttle times were very good, especially for a FB tweener type guy. His number compare pretty well with Toby Gerhart actually (not counting the 40 which was probably enhanced a bit). But Gerhart shows a little more explosion with his vert, which is why I think Gerhart can be a successful RB, along with his good change of direction. Besides the vert, the numbers are eerily similar. His 3 cone would probably be among the best of the FBs at the combine, if not #1.

YAYareaRB
03-09-2010, 11:56 PM
He seems like one of those guys that was a big RB in HS and College and will be switched to FB at the next level but has no history lead blocking. His hands are a definite plus though. Looks like a natural runner, even more so than Gerhart.

wogitalia
03-10-2010, 01:14 AM
He does look really natural as a runner though even then you can see he is not a burner speed wise. Hands look really solid.

He just looks all around solid in that video. His blocking is certainly going to make or break him at the next level, if he can improve and show that he can do it there is certainly room for him in the NFL somewhere.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2010, 11:05 AM
He does look really natural as a runner though even then you can see he is not a burner speed wise. Hands look really solid.

He just looks all around solid in that video. His blocking is certainly going to make or break him at the next level, if he can improve and show that he can do it there is certainly room for him in the NFL somewhere.

He'll find a spot on a roster this preseason simply because of his running ability and hands. Depending on how a team would use him, I could see him making a team that carries two FBs on their roster as a backup, but if he shows he can develop at least his lead blocking abilities (can't really judge his pass blocking since I didn't see any in the tape) he could easily be a "starter" at FB in a year or two, and could be a similar type player to Leonard Weaver. If he is good in pass pro, he could see plenty of action if he makes a roster.