PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Ravens Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-07-2010, 07:57 AM
Discuss the Baltimore Ravens... I'll start with this little theory -

I'm sure all of you by now, know that Anquan Boldin is a Raven and Ozzie & Co. gave up a 3rd and 4th to get him.

With that being said, we all know how much DeCosta and Newsome love their draft picks and I know it must be killing them to not have a 3rd and 4th in such a DEEP DEEP draft class, so here's what I think they should do -

Now that we filled our biggest, most glaring need(WR) it allows us to go BPA, but say that nobody left at 25 is appealing to the Ravens, what if they were to trade down into the early to mid second round picks and acquire a 3rd or 4th in the process? I'd love for them to do that.

Like most of the Raven fans here, I'm pretty high on Demaryius Thomas, but I don't think he's worth the #25th overall, but if we were to trade down, and get a 3rd or 4th I think it would be a great move for the Ravens, get back some of the picks they lost and STILL get a WR with loads of potential.

I think a trade down is definitely a possibility this year, since we have so few picks, look out for it on draft day and don't rule it out.

A Perfect Score
03-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Ive a feeling that some of the RFAs will be moved for mid round picks. I can see Dawan Landry being sent to Seattle for a 3rd, as discussed before.

Personally, Im of the mind that the team isnt deep enough to be passing up a premier talent at 25, but I wouldnt be shocked to see us trade back. Id rather see us use the pick on someone though.

redbills
03-07-2010, 01:15 PM
rotoworld said Jared Gaither might be able to be had for less than a 1st, would you think they'd take pick 41 for him? or would you take #9 for him and pick 25? thx.

A Perfect Score
03-07-2010, 01:44 PM
Id be very upset to see Gaither go, but we are more then capable of replacing him. Oher arguably outplayed him on the left side this year, and we know Yanda can kick out to RT and play consistently there. That said, it isnt ideal, and if we do move Gaither, I would absolutely want a first back for him, as hes better then any OT prospect in this class.

If we were able to get 9 for Gaither and 25, I think we would have to consider it. There is a chance Dez Bryant would be there, and adding Dez and Q in the same offseason could really do some damage. Perhaps even Haden would be an option there, or god forbid Eric Berry. Berry and Reed in the same secondary would be deadly.

coordinator0
03-07-2010, 02:15 PM
I really don't think Gaither is going anywhere this off-season, and definitely not for anything less than a first. We aren't in a position to replace Oher on the right side if he's gone. Yanda can play RT, but he's pretty slow-footed for the position and he is far better off inside at guard. Same with Cousins, but he probably just plain sucks. I could see us considering a high-ish first round pick, but probably not just a swap. Not worth it IMO, not at all.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-07-2010, 06:53 PM
the 49er's and Seahawks are both interested in Jared Gaither and I wouldn't mind giving him up for their first rounders but

Indianapolis and Dallas are also interested, but I'd rather keep Gaither than take their first rounders. They are in the late 20's and I doubt we could find Gaither's replacement.

TACKLE
03-07-2010, 06:59 PM
the 49er's and Seahawks are both interested in Jared Gaither and I wouldn't mind giving him up for their first rounders but

Indianapolis and Dallas are also interested, but I'd rather keep Gaither than take their first rounders. They are in the late 20's and I doubt we could find Gaither's replacement.

Ummm.....I think he'll do.

http://img.fannation.com/upload/si_blog_post_images/49041/michael-oher.jpg

A Perfect Score
03-07-2010, 07:09 PM

So that would be what? 6 or 13?

I think if its for pick 6, we should absolutely do it. Thats Dez Bryant or Joe Haden.

RavenMadness
03-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Currently, were in a perfect position to draft the BPA. I'm mocking Kyle Wilson to the Ravens right now but any of the following guys I would be pleased with.

-Kyle Wilson
-Carlos Dunlap
- Brandon Graham
-Jared Odgrick
-Jermaine Gresham

Ravens1991
03-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Bannan signed w/ Broncoes, we gotta get DT depth this draft

coordinator0
03-07-2010, 11:27 PM

Yes, but who then plays the right side? In this day and age the passing game is far more important, which leads to teams trying to get very good pass-rushers. There are already two teams in the division that have pretty damn good rushers on both sides of the line, the Bengals and the Steelers. Yanda would not do well full-time on the outside, nor should we put Cousins there (guard or he just sucks). We could take another tackle with the pick we get, but why? Gaither's already young and doesn't need replacing. Pay the man, if you;re good you;ll eventually get a big contract.

TACKLE
03-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Yes, but who then plays the right side? In this day and age the passing game is far more important, which leads to teams trying to get very good pass-rushers. There are already two teams in the division that have pretty damn good rushers on both sides of the line, the Bengals and the Steelers. Yanda would not do well full-time on the outside, nor should we put Cousins there (guard or he just sucks). We could take another tackle with the pick we get, but why? Gaither's already young and doesn't need replacing. Pay the man, if you;re good you;ll eventually get a big contract.

I totally agree about keeping Gaither around but we are exploring the idea of "what if he leaves".

If for some reason Gaither leaves and we get a 1st round pick in exchange, it is not necessarily a pressing need to address the RT hole. with that first round pick. There will be no value for a RT at that spot. Possibly Bruce Campbell but Campbell is a poor-man's Gaither and is a horrendous run blocker who would not be suited on the right-side. Ducasse? Where's the value. The situation just doesn't workout for us to feel that the value is worth taking a RT. You have to consider that if the organization felt comfortable letting Gaither go, then they either then they probably would feel comfortable with OT situation without him.

coordinator0
03-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Where did I say that we would take one? I might have worded it poorly but that's not what I meant. Like you said there isn't really anybody in the first that seems like they could play both sides (and yes if Gaither goes Oher will no doubt be the LT so taking another wouldn't make sense). Trent Williams could do it though. Honestly I'm not sure if we would be interested in a pick in the 10-15 range. There's a few defensive lineman that we might be interested in, but they're mostly defensive ends and I'm not sure if that's what we're looking for. Don't think that Bryant or Haden will be there.

TACKLE
03-07-2010, 11:59 PM
Where did I say that we would take one? I might have worded it poorly but that's not what I meant. Like you said there isn't really anybody in the first that seems like they could play both sides (and yes if Gaither goes Oher will no doubt be the LT so taking another wouldn't make sense). Trent Williams could do it though. Honestly I'm not sure if we would be interested in a pick in the 10-15 range. There's a few defensive lineman that we might be interested in, but they're mostly defensive ends and I'm not sure if that's what we're looking for. Don't think that Bryant or Haden will be there.

Sorry, I was more referencing BmoreBlackByrdz post that I replied with the Michael Oher pic. I know you never said we should take a RT in the late 1st. I was stating that we have Gaither's replacement and finding Oher's replacement is a of a lot lesser value. With that being said, if we were in the 10-15 range, I would certainly be wiling to ake a guy like Anthony Dais and Trent Williams especially with having to face Woodley/Harrison at least twice a year.

ChefMike
03-08-2010, 08:59 AM
We are forgetting a major piece of the puzzle here. Brandon Marshall, Seattle has 2 first round picks and they are looking at Brandon Marshall as well. If they make a trade its going to be sending one of the 1st rd picks there. I can't see them giving up both picks for Gaither and Marshall when the draft is so deep at both positions?

If we got a #2 for Gaither from Seattle I would be surprised. Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to get a TOP 15 pick (either one of Seattle's picks) then we could draft 2 great prospects to come in next year by essentially losing our RT (because we can move Oher to LT easily) I think we could do ourselves better by staying put at #25 and drafting the BPA or moving up at the last minute to dive on the guy that inevitably falls in the 1st much like Oher, Suggs, Reed, Lewis all did when we drafted them.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean Gaither's replacement, I meant Oher's replacement. I know Yanda can kick out to RT, but that isn't his natural position. I'd much rather us keep Gaither, finding his replacement, or an RT would be too much of a headache.

He's 23 years old 6-9, 330 and only getting better, why not keep him?

killxswitch
03-08-2010, 10:55 PM
What is this I hear about Gaither having work ethic issues? I read that on the Baltimore Sun website. I've never heard that about him before.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-09-2010, 08:29 AM
I don't see how. He seems to play hard every game he plays in.

coordinator0
03-09-2010, 09:17 AM
What is this I hear about Gaither having work ethic issues? I read that on the Baltimore Sun website. I've never heard that about him before.

I've never seen questions raised about it before either, but I think he was a tad lazy at Maryland. He might not be "intense," but the guy still plays hard.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-09-2010, 02:09 PM
according to Adam Schefter, the Ravens are still attempting to re-sign Derrick Mason.

I think it's a great idea.

and according to Aaron Wilson, Marlin Jackson has Baltimore Ravens headquarters without a deal.

America
03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
according to Adam Schefter, the Ravens are still attempting to re-sign Derrick Mason.

I think it's a great idea.

and according to Aaron Wilson, Marlin Jackson has Baltimore Ravens headquarters without a deal.

I agree, I think resigning Mason should be a higher priority. Without him, the Anquan move doesn't make as much of an impact since there still is no other receiver on the roster close to being a legit threat. I think we need to target the d-line in the first round and look for the WR depth in the second. There are lots of speed guys to be had there.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I agree, I think resigning Mason should be a higher priority. Without him, the Anquan move doesn't make as much of an impact since there still is no other receiver on the roster close to being a legit threat. I think we need to target the d-line in the first round and look for the WR depth in the second. There are lots of speed guys to be had there.

I agree completely.

I want the Ravens to also re-sign Dwan Edwards. Denver just signed Jarvis Green, so thats 1 less team interested in him. He left Seattle without an offer and I haven't heard of any other teams interested in him. I think re-signing Edwards and Mason would be two solid moves to close out the first week of FA.

Mason gives us a threat opposite of Boldin and Edwards fills the need at DE, which would also allow us to go BPA in the draft.

Ravens1991
03-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Bannan signed a 5 year 22 million dollar deal. WTF.

That will probably inflate re-signed Edwards to around that price also

ChefMike
03-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Well actually it will lower the price for Edwards because he has gone into Seattle and Denver and left with no contract he is going to come back to us at a discount because obviously they don't feel he can improve their teams much beyond what they have (spinal fusion surgery didn't help that)

I think if we have a shot at a Price or a Pierre in the 1st we should jump on it and take a corner in the 2nd. Or move down into the 2nd all together and pick up a 1st next year and 2nd this year...

A Perfect Score
03-10-2010, 11:13 AM
like Brian Price? Im not sure where he would fit on our team. Hes a pure 4-3 UT, he has no place in the 3-4. Im a huge fan of his and I have him as my #3 DT in the draft and a Top 20 selection, Im just not sure where he plays as a Raven in our 3-4 sets. He is not known for taking on blocks and eating up space like a 5 tech should, hes more of a 1 gap penetrator.

Ravens1991
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I predict we move to a pure 43 in the next couple of seasons so maybe we pick him up

coordinator0
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM
like Brian Price? Im not sure where he would fit on our team. Hes a pure 4-3 UT, he has no place in the 3-4. Im a huge fan of his and I have him as my #3 DT in the draft and a Top 20 selection, Im just not sure where he plays as a Raven in our 3-4 sets. He is not known for taking on blocks and eating up space like a 5 tech should, hes more of a 1 gap penetrator.

I think we are moving to a 4-3 base defense. In most of the passing situations last season we used some variation of a 4-man line without a lot of blitzing, so getting a true UT would help this team immensely.

A Perfect Score
03-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Well as of right now, in 4-3 sets Trevor Pryce can slide inside to UT. Its his natural position anyways, and I think he has at least 2 seasons left in him, especially playing next to Ngata in 4-3 sets. Not sure, but I would like to see us address CB in round 1, and I think going to a pure 4-3 is a mistake. We have the personel built for a 3-4, Mattison is just a moron.

Ravens1991
03-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Mattison is just a moron.

That sums it up, he is an under qualified(1 season in the NFL b4 being the DC) old fart, using a college D that worked because he could virtually pick any prospect in the nation at Florida. He is pissing away all of the talent on this team, I know the CBs get **** for being bad but they still managed a top 5 pass D w/ a pass rush that cant touch a QB.

coordinator0
03-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Well as of right now, in 4-3 sets Trevor Pryce can slide inside to UT. Its his natural position anyways, and I think he has at least 2 seasons left in him, especially playing next to Ngata in 4-3 sets. Not sure, but I would like to see us address CB in round 1, and I think going to a pure 4-3 is a mistake. We have the personel built for a 3-4, Mattison is just a moron.

There's a reason Dwan Edwards started over Pryce last season, he doesn't have the stamina to sustain his play anymore. I really don't think he has two seasons left either, his contract ends after this one and I doubt he'd want to keep going.

A Perfect Score
03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Derrick Mason officially resigns for 2 years. Waiting on the deal specifications, but its on Twitter. Great signing.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
yeah I got a text from BR.com, I agree, Boldin and Mason both may be possession WR's, but it's still have plus having them both.

Ravens1991
03-10-2010, 09:21 PM
they are possesion WR but they are damn good ones, Mason should have a great season against #2 CBs. I love it!!!!!

EdReedUnstoppable
03-11-2010, 05:56 AM
I don't like it unless we get another starter to push Mason to the slot. Now yes Anquan is a huge upgrade over Mason and Mason is an upgrade over Clayton, BUT we've had 2 possesion WRs for the past 5 years, you need a solid field stretching big WR and we don't have that.

ChefMike
03-11-2010, 07:29 AM
I see that not being a problem because Q had to be the possession guy in Arizona because of Fitzgerald. I think he is going to surprise us and Stallworth will be that change of pace guy along with Clayton. PLus I think that is where we are going to upgrade in the draft and find a speed guy that can go deep.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't like it unless we get another starter to push Mason to the slot. Now yes Anquan is a huge upgrade over Mason and Mason is an upgrade over Clayton, BUT we've had 2 possesion WRs for the past 5 years, you need a solid field stretching big WR and we don't have that.

I was going to post that I agree with this but when I thought about it a little more I came up with this. Last year Mason **** on everyone and when he was doubled no one else could get open. When they double Boldin they aren't going to be able to double Mason as well. I think we are going to be ok. I am just happy we did something about it.

niel89
03-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I honestly don't trust Stallworth to be a reliable player. Im not 100% that he is even gonna make the roster.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-12-2010, 01:37 AM
I honestly don't trust Stallworth to be a reliable player. Im not 100% that he is even gonna make the roster.

This is dead on balls accurate.

GoRavens
03-12-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't agree with anything you guys have said about Stallworth.
It's all about the role that he's going to be playing in the Ravens offense. Boldin, Mason, and Rice are all going to get the main attention in the passing game. Stallworth will use his speed to his advantage. He's the fastest WR on the team, and according to the coaching staff, his game is still looking sharp. He's an upgrade from Clayton, and will catch some bombs from Flacco, trust me. He's got reliable hands, and will be targeted deep once the defense gets tired late in the game.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d801df97e/Donte-Stallworth-Highlight-WK-19-vs-Saints-2006

niel89
03-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I agree that his role won't be too much so that is a good thing. At best he could be our 3rd receiver, but most likely he would be our 4th behind Clayton and get in on certain packages and plays.

That video is nice but that clip is from 2006. That is over 3 seasons ago. We honestly have no idea where he is at now. He could very well settle into that #3 spot nicely and give us a real deep threat. At this point though I dont think there is any evidence to say that he is a player we should hang our hat on.

I would really like to add some more talent at WR in the draft but not at the expense of adding better overall talent to the team.

EdReedUnstoppable
03-12-2010, 04:57 PM
He was never anything special, and his last time on the field he was anything but an impact player. He was actually quite the forgettable player. I have no expectations for him at all, and if he makes the team I doubt he males any big plays at all.

coordinator0
03-12-2010, 07:20 PM
He was never anything special, and his last time on the field he was anything but an impact player. He was actually quite the forgettable player. I have no expectations for him at all, and if he makes the team I doubt he males any big plays at all.

Pretty much this. It'd be a nice bonus if he were able to make some plays, but if we draft a receiver in the first two rounds he might not make the roster.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I can't see why Stallworth can't succeed in our offense??

He'll be in the slot when most of the defenses attention will be geared towards Mason and Boldin. He'd likely be one on one with a nickel or safety, and according to the Ravens, he's still got his speed. His addition can't hurt 1 bit, especially since Demetrius Williams wasn't stepping up. I can't see why you two don't like his addition.

Also, Suggs finally shows up for the Ravens offseason conditioning and work out program. According to BR.com, he's in good shape and excited for next year..... AWESOME news. We need him at 100% next year. Our defense is aging and all our younger players need to step it up.

Also, Donte Stallworth was present for the first day of workouts as well and he looked in great shape.

coordinator0
03-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I can't see why Stallworth can't succeed in our offense??

He'll be in the slot when most of the defenses attention will be geared towards Mason and Boldin. He'd likely be one on one with a nickel or safety, and according to the Ravens, he's still got his speed. His addition can't hurt 1 bit, especially since Demetrius Williams wasn't stepping up. I can't see why you two don't like his addition.

Also, Suggs finally shows up for the Ravens offseason conditioning and work out program. According to BR.com, he's in good shape and excited for next year..... AWESOME news. We need him at 100% next year. Our defense is aging and all our younger players need to step it up.

Also, Donte Stallworth was present for the first day of workouts as well and he looked in great shape.

It's not that I didn't like it, I did and do, it's just that we cannot count on him being able to produce or play. Playing on a nickel/dime corner should help him a lot, but being away from football for a year AND having durability issues is anything but assuring. It's also nice to see Suggs for off-season conditioning, I think that could go a long ways for getting him back into the player he was in previous years.

niel89
03-15-2010, 08:18 PM
^ I agree. I love having Stallworth. It is a great signing with low risk/medium reward. I just don't think we can assume that he is gonna be the # 3 receiver. I think they may still use Clayton or draft someone to get it done.

Side note: I want to buy a Clarence Moore jersey, but I know it is a waste of money. :p

Ravens1991
03-16-2010, 04:02 PM
Terrell Suggs has shown up to the 1st voluntary off-season workouts. That is great to hear, I bashed suggs last season but I will admit he always comes up in big games (See Pitt and New England playoff games)

Also WNST tweeted that the 1st thursday game of the year maybe Ravens VS. Steelers on primetime in Baltimore. That would be wild

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Terrell Suggs has shown up to the 1st voluntary off-season workouts. That is great to hear, I bashed suggs last season but I will admit he always comes up in big games (See Pitt and New England playoff games)

Also WNST tweeted that the 1st thursday game of the year maybe Ravens VS. Steelers on primetime in Baltimore. That would be wild

yeah dude, I hope Suggs has a 12-13 + sack season.

Ravens1991
03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Anyone have any word on Kelly Washington? I loved him I wish he can come back but I doubt he does.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Anyone have any word on Kelly Washington? I loved him I wish he can come back but I doubt he does.

Honestly, I'd rather have him at #4 WR instead of Mark Clayton.

Ravens1991
03-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Word, our team ends up keeping guys around who suck because they are nice or something (Clayton and walker)

also Dwan Edwards to Buffalo, I geuss this means we will prolly go DE round 1

A Perfect Score
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Word, our team ends up keeping guys around who suck because they are nice or something (Clayton and walker)

With us losing him and Bannan, and as Ive been saying for a few weeks now, a pick like Odrick would make a ton of sense. That said, I dont expect Odrick to be available at 25 with what Im reading about his stock, and the same goes for Dan Williams. Brian Price might slide, but he isnt really a good fit, and 25 is far too early for Lamar Houston. I dont really know who we would draft there TBH, unless we went with someone like Dunlap to bulk him up. That would be a mistake IMO.

Ravens1991
03-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I am w/ you I like Orderick, our dline could look like this....

DE-Suggs
DT-Ngata
Dt-Ordrick
DE-Krueger

and in the future our lb corp could be

WLB-Gooden
MLB-draft pick (maybe Spikes if he slides to round 2??)
SLB-Ellerbe

coordinator0
03-16-2010, 10:00 PM
The LB corps is an interesting one to figure out for the 4-3. Jarret Johnson has to play somewhere, I think he'd be the SLB on running downs and possibly the LDE in passing situations. Gooden seems like an ideal fit at WLB ina 4-3, much better than inside in a 3-4. I'm not sure on Ellerbe, but I think he could play all three positions but his best fit might be inside or on the strong side. Then there's Jason Phillips who I still personally like a lot and would like to see given reps at ILB (if he's healthy) to spot Ray next season. Jameel McClain doesn't really seem to fit in a 4-3, but Ayanbandejo would also be a solid option at WLB along with Gooden. I'm starting to really warm-up to Weatherspoon at 25 if he's still there, even though we still have some guys with potential at the LB spots.

Ravens1991
03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I would love McClain as a 34 OLB, I think he would be nice there he can make plays. But he is worthless in a 43.

I also wont mind Weatherspoon either, he is the definition of "play like a Raven"

BuffaloBillsFan
03-16-2010, 10:27 PM

I was actually curious what you Ravens fans thought of Dwan Edwards? Did we get a good football player?

coordinator0
03-16-2010, 10:31 PM
I was actually curious what you Ravens fans thought of Dwan Edwards? Did we get a good football player?

Here's my post from the NFL forum thread:

Edwards was the Ravens second round pick a few years back. He's a solid player, especially at stuffing the run. Wouldn't expect too much out of him pass-rushing wise. He took over the starting role from Trevor Pryce this year because Trevor just doesn't have the stamina to last the entire game anymore, but he came in on passing downs. I think it's a solid addition for the Bills. Looks like the 4-3 is coming to Baltimore sooner rather than later.

I don't really have much more to add. Dwan should be a solid player for the Bills, but I wonder if we didn't pursue him because he doesn't fit with the team going forward.

GoRavens
03-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I'd really like Baltimore to sign a free agent DT for some depth.
Who's some of the biggest/best names in free agency?

Ravens1991
03-17-2010, 09:57 AM
http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/?p=4488

Frank Walker maybe outta here.

I know he sucks and every hates him, but I respect him because at some points earlier in the season it looked like him Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were the only players that actually cared on D

EdReedUnstoppable
03-17-2010, 10:05 AM
All the caring in the world doesn't make up for a total and complete lack of talent....see ya Frankie!

EdReedUnstoppable
03-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Demaryius Thomas got a 34 on the wonderlic it was the highest grade of any WR.......on the flipside Arrelious Benn got an 11, gotta love that Illinois education. These guys really are "student" athletes aren't they?!

coordinator0
03-17-2010, 10:13 AM
I read that Decker got a 43. I think I put the link in the draft discussion thread, but Demaryius still getting a 34 is great. Don't think we're gonna get him though.

ChefMike
03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Dez Bryant is still dropping and falling fast this website is one of only a few out there that still have him as a TOP 20 pick let alone a TOP 10 possibly.

Should we take a WR at #25 if someone like Demaryius or Dez are sitting there at #25??

EdReedUnstoppable
03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!! If Demaryius or Dez are there we need to go WR!

Ravens1991
03-17-2010, 11:23 AM
I have seen Dez at a place like pick 27.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-bryantrisk022810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

sounds like Bryant has a terrible work ethic.

“I wouldn’t draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games,” one source said.

Harbaugh is against that stuff so it wont shock me even if Dez is at 25 we skip him.

coordinator0
03-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Yeah, there could be a ton of surprised and ticked off Ravens fans come draft day if Dez is still there at 25. Honestly. I'm not sure if I would take a WR in the first round at this point. The problem with that is that I still want us to get a WR in the first two rounds, yet waiting till 57 is risky (and I don't envision us trading up unless we've already traded down). This draft is one of the most interesting for us in a while IMO.

Ravens1991
03-17-2010, 11:32 AM
I wouldnt mind seeing us trading down to the top 10 of the second, picking up an extra 4th.

Then the draft can look like this...

2nd(a)-Demaryus Thomas
2nd(b)-Lamarr Houston or CB
4th-Anthony McCoy

GoRavens
03-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I love Demaryius Thomas as a prospect, but not in round 1.
& he won't make it to the Ravens second pick.
Receiver isn't a first round need anymore.
& the only second round guys I'd want on the team are Jordan Shipley, and Eric Decker.
Both of these fellow white men, are really good at what they do and both will become useful weapons in the NFL.

coordinator0
03-17-2010, 11:36 AM
We don't have a 4th either, it was traded in the Boldin deal. As it stands now here's our picks:

1st
2nd
5th
5th
6th

We'll probably pick up a net comp. 7th, but that's it. That draft would be nice though, I'd still like to see TE addressed. Right now I'm at a conundrum, wanting an interior pass-rusher, receiver, and tight end all addressed early but we only have 2 high picks. Sigh.

Ravens1991
03-17-2010, 11:37 AM
IDK if we should draft a possesion guy, we already got a young possesion WR in Marcus Smith.

Also if we draft a WR they will be a #3 or #4 for the first 2 years of there career so we should just get a guy w/ a lot of talent hopeing they can sit on the bench and develop into a super star

EdReedUnstoppable
03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
We don't have a 4th either, it was traded in the Boldin deal. As it stands now here's our picks:

1st
2nd
5th
5th
6th

We'll probably pick up a net comp. 7th, but that's it. That draft would be nice though, I'd still like to see TE addressed. Right now I'm at a conundrum, wanting an interior pass-rusher, receiver, and tight end all addressed early but we only have 2 high picks. Sigh.

He said if we trade down and pick up a 4th. Which Im highly for trading back to the top 10 of rd 2 and taking Demaryius Thomas.

coordinator0
03-17-2010, 01:26 PM
He said if we trade down and pick up a 4th. Which Im highly for trading back to the top 10 of rd 2 and taking Demaryius Thomas.

Nah, he said an extra 4th which would imply we already have one ;). I'd love to trade back into the top 10 of the second and take Demaryius though.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing us trading down to the top 10 of the second, picking up an extra 4th.

Then the draft can look like this...

2nd(a)-Demaryus Thomas
2nd(b)-Lamarr Houston or CB
4th-Anthony McCoy

I've been saying this all along!! I would LOVE to see us trade down and acquire more picks. This draft is too talented for a team like the Ravens to only have 5 picks.

Hines
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Free agent CB Frank Walker is reportedly on the verge of signing with an unnamed NFC team.

The penalty-prone cornerback could provide special teams help, but hasn't proven to be more than a dime back with Baltimore, Green Bay, or the Giants.

This makes me sad.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-17-2010, 06:19 PM
IDK if we should draft a possesion guy, we already got a young possesion WR in Marcus Smith.

Also if we draft a WR they will be a #3 or #4 for the first 2 years of there career so we should just get a guy w/ a lot of talent hopeing they can sit on the bench and develop into a super star

I'd hardly consider Marcus Smith a nice prospect. He can't run routes or catch. He's basically a special teamer

coordinator0
03-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Free agent CB Frank Walker is reportedly on the verge of signing with an unnamed NFC team.

The penalty-prone cornerback could provide special teams help, but hasn't proven to be more than a dime back with Baltimore, Green Bay, or the Giants.

This makes me sad.

Yeah, the Ravens home site had something about it this morning. I think it's great, Frank Walker is just terrible.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Franks a good person, but an awful football player.

Glad to know that he won't be in a Ravens uni next year though.

I wish luck though.

Ravens1991
03-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd hardly consider Marcus Smith a nice prospect. He can't run routes or catch. He's basically a special teamer

He was a big project when we drafted him. He was running nice routes in the 1 pre-season game last season and impressed in practice before tearing his ACL.

GoRavens
03-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Eron Riley is a guy i'm excited about.
https://www.nmnathletics.com/pics22/400/SO/SONVDIZSGZUBUON.20080831070236.jpg
- He was a project last year, and I think a year on the bench helped his game a ton. He's got a fantastic size/speed combo for an NFL receiver (6'3 205), and I think he can also make an impact on special teams this year. My only questions are concerning his hand strength, and physicality, which aren't bad, but need to be improved for the NFL. I definitely see him getting his first TD catch this upcoming season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNr0XBIADE

coordinator0
03-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Eh, I wouldn't get excited about guys like Riley an Harper. If they couldn't have helped us last season (when we really needed it), then it's hard to see how they would this season. Sure they could have improved with their time on the PS, but it's a reach. Neither of them would be more than the 5th WR on the depth chart, assuming Stallworth makes the team and we draft a receiver. Then there's still Clayton/Williams who were tendered.

Ravens1991
03-18-2010, 02:22 PM
Eron Riley is a guy i'm excited about.
https://www.nmnathletics.com/pics22/400/SO/SONVDIZSGZUBUON.20080831070236.jpg
- He was a project last year, and I think a year on the bench helped his game a ton. He's got a fantastic size/speed combo for an NFL receiver (6'3 205), and I think he can also make an impact on special teams this year. My only questions are concerning his hand strength, and physicality, which aren't bad, but need to be improved for the NFL. I definitely see him getting his first TD catch this upcoming season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNr0XBIADE

I am w/ you on that, I have been a fan of him the minute we drafted him. He has all world physical tools (on par w/ DHB) and was a nice gunner in college. I am intrigued w/ his potential.

And why keep a guy like Clayton around? He is in the same boat as Walker, a great guy but a crappy football player. We should cut him and bring up a guy like riley or harper to be the #5. At least they still have some sort of potential

coordinator0
03-18-2010, 04:15 PM
I think that I'd rather have Riley or Harper over Clayton as well, but it doesn't seem like the coaching staff does. Somebody on our team really likes Clayton, there's no way he should have come back and started right away last season after his injury when our passing game was actually gaining a little steam.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-18-2010, 04:28 PM
I am w/ you on that, I have been a fan of him the minute we drafted him. He has all world physical tools (on par w/ DHB) and was a nice gunner in college. I am intrigued w/ his potential.

And why keep a guy like Clayton around? He is in the same boat as Walker, a great guy but a crappy football player. We should cut him and bring up a guy like riley or harper to be the #5. At least they still have some sort of potential

yeah I agree, We all know what we are gonna get out of Mark Clayton, his potential has been reached.

I would love to see us bump up a younger guy with something to prove.

Ravens1991
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
It still baffled me that Clayton started over Washington all year. The difference between Clayton and Walker is walker actually showed up and played great week 15 on. Clayton did absolutely nothing except for his regular 1 great game a year, I do thank him that that game was against PITT, my prediction was it would be against the Lions

TACKLE
03-20-2010, 10:55 PM
STRIP, could you sticky this thread. Thanks.

Ravens1991
03-20-2010, 10:56 PM
got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChefMike
03-21-2010, 08:34 AM
What does everyone think about trading Willis to recoup some picks, maybe even getting a #2 for him. Then putting Le'Ron as the #2 RB and either drafting a true blocking FB or signing a proven blocking FB like we had with Neal a few years back?? I know Le'Ron is a Pro Bowl FB but that's from his running talent.

Think of how many more yards Ray would have if we had a 260lb RB knocking people around to give Ray a breather?! Plus he does have that next level gear to break away like Willis just remember the game 2 years ago against Dallas to close Cowboys Stadium...

coordinator0
03-21-2010, 09:01 AM
There's no way we'd get a 2nd round pick for Willis, probably not even a third. With the FA RBs this year, and not to mention it's one of the easier positions to draft, why would somebody want to give up that high of a pick for Willis? I think last year he was pretty overrated, yet he did come on strong at the end of the season (before that he was pretty much a TD vulture that had some terrible games).

GoRavens
03-21-2010, 09:21 AM
forget trading Willis McGahee, I'm sick of that idea.
He's a perfect #2 back to compliment Rice, so stop trying to trade him.
Having 5 picks is fine, if we draft wisely, all 5 will be good players.
As for D-Line, I don't want Odrick at all.
With all this talk of switching to a 4-3, this means Odrick is going to need to play with low pad level (which he doesnt).
Odrick gets overpowered in the run game, and is more of a fit as a DE in a 3-4, no thanks Odrick.
I'd love Dan Williams, not Terrence Cody, there's a fine difference.
Both Houston and Price are really talented, and taking either one of them in the 1st sounds like a good idea to me.
New Mock
(It's different from my previous mocks, but I like)
1st: DT, Brian Price, UCLA.
2nd: CB, Chris Cook, Virginia.
5th: DE/OLB - Dexter Davis, Arizona State.
5th: QB - Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic.
6th: TE - Jeff Cumberland, Illinois.

A Perfect Score
03-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Is this guy for real? A 2nd rounder for Willis? We would be lucky to get a 5th rounder with his injury history and contract. At this point, Willis is worth more to our team then whatever we could get for him in a trade.

Im not sure Im buying the switch to a base 4-3 yet. We definitely will continue to use alot of 4-3 sets, particularly on passing downs, but Im not sure we will see a full transition this season or even the next. Odrick is a guy who can play in both fronts, whereas Price isnt. As big of a fan of Price as I am, I think if it came down to choosing (which it wont, Id almost guarantee one of them will be gone by #25), Id have to say go with Odrick.

coordinator0
03-21-2010, 11:52 AM
I agree we will continue to see 3-4 looks, but we still can't get pressure from a 4-man line. It needs to be addressed, and I don't think Odrick is a guy that can do that. Yeah he's more versatile, but he also isn't what we really need for a lineman at this point.

Ravens1991
03-21-2010, 03:10 PM
forget trading Willis McGahee, I'm sick of that idea.
He's a perfect #2 back to compliment Rice, so stop trying to trade him.
Having 5 picks is fine, if we draft wisely, all 5 will be good players.
As for D-Line, I don't want Odrick at all.
With all this talk of switching to a 4-3, this means Odrick is going to need to play with low pad level (which he doesnt).
Odrick gets overpowered in the run game, and is more of a fit as a DE in a 3-4, no thanks Odrick.
I'd love Dan Williams, not Terrence Cody, there's a fine difference.
Both Houston and Price are really talented, and taking either one of them in the 1st sounds like a good idea to me.
New Mock
(It's different from my previous mocks, but I like)
1st: DT, Brian Price, UCLA.
2nd: CB, Chris Cook, Virginia.
5th: DE/OLB - Dexter Davis, Arizona State.
5th: QB - Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic.
6th: TE - Jeff Cumberland, Illinois.

With only 5 picks in the draft I would be pissed if we took a QB. Troy Smith will probably be back next year(my prediction) and we got John Beck who knows the system, not to mention Flacco. I dont wanna see us waste a pick on a QB

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-23-2010, 01:56 PM
uuh-oh...

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/03/harbaugh_doesnt_rule_out_resigning_frank_walker.ht ml

I can't see why Coach Harbaugh praises Frank Walker and complains about Demetrius Williams. If Demetrius got as much playing time Frank Walker has gotten, I think he'd be a lot better player than he is right now.

I know Frank has made some plays here and there, but his "WTF" moments are just 1 too many.

Please...PLEASE. don't bring him back. I'd rather let Ozzie draft two late rounders and gamble with them.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Also -

Ravens are exploring the Kicker's on the market. They have shown interest in both Shayne Graham and Niel Rackers.

-per Aaron Wilson.

coordinator0
03-23-2010, 04:32 PM
I wouldn't mind Graham, as long as he's recovered from the injury he had last season.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Is anyone upset that we didn't pursue Ben Watson?

TACKLE
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Is anyone upset that we didn't pursue Ben Watson?

I didn't even think of it at the time, but now that you brought it up, I am kind of upset. Watson is a talented TE who is more athletic than Heap. He's also a better blocker than Heap. Now that I think about it, I really wish we did pursue him.

coordinator0
03-23-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't think Watson is much of a blocker, but he definitely has more to offer as a receiver at this point. We might have been gun-shy about bringing in another injury-prone TE who is not that young though.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-23-2010, 09:40 PM
True, but in sure he has atleast 2-3 more productive seasons in him.

I'm sure that we can all agree that he'd be an all-world upgrade over the bum, L.J. Smith.

With him, we'd have a STACKED recieving corp
Boldin
Mason
Stallworth
Clayton
Heap
Watson
Rice

-Flacco would cream himself.

Hines
03-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Please, please, please sign Walker again. It's always amusing to watch him guard either Wallace or Holmes.

coordinator0
03-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Well, Harbaugh admitted in the article that I saw that the fans wouldn't like it. My hope is that we wouldn't be in a position to HAVE to need him again, except on special teams. Harbs is seriously too loyal to some of these guys, it's sickening.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-24-2010, 01:49 PM
have the Raven's signed that "one" player that they were allowed to sign with that *** elite 8 rule?

I'm not sure, but I think that player was Corey Redding.

can anyone double check for me, I have no clue how these new rules work.

coordinator0
03-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Redding might have been "allowed" because of Dwan Edwards being signed though.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Say we do trade Gaither, before or during the draft, I'm pretty sure the financial aspect would be a huge reason why.

Are the Ravens really willing to give a lot of money to someone with a very questionable work ethic? What's gonna happen when he gets all that guaranteed money?

We could save a lot of money and add some more picks if we did trade Gaither away.

And, true, the o-line would take a hit, but they'd still be someone of a solid unit.

Overall, I wouldn't be a fan of it, but if a trade did go down, I'm sure the pros would balance out with the cons and keep us fans pleased.

A Perfect Score
03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Look at the forum mock! :D

Also, we just STOLE Alex Carrington in the third. Me and TACKLE are dominating the draft as per usual.

coordinator0
03-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Say we do trade Gaither, before or during the draft, I'm pretty sure the financial aspect would be a huge reason why.

Are the Ravens really willing to give a lot of money to someone with a very questionable work ethic? What's gonna happen when he gets all that guaranteed money?

We could save a lot of money and add some more picks if we did trade Gaither away.

And, true, the o-line would take a hit, but they'd still be someone of a solid unit.

Overall, I wouldn't be a fan of it, but if a trade did go down, I'm sure the pros would balance out with the cons and keep us fans pleased.

Pros - we save money for the immediate future, giving Gaither money COULD be a risk (depends on how much he would gets), get picks.

Cons - Offensive line takes a hit, opens up a huge hole at RT, weakens the team when we are built for a Superbowl run now, taking a replacement in the draft (where we would be picking) is as much a risk as giving Gaither the money in the first place.

It's not much of a competition IMO. Locking up Gaither is both an immediate fix and a long-term solution at both tackle spots for the Ravens.

A Perfect Score
03-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Keep in mind that Gaither isnt the only one who needs locking up. Ngata needs a new contract, and I absolutely think he holds more value to our team then Gaither. With the contract we just gave Suggs, Im curious to see how we manipulate this situation.

Ravens1991
03-29-2010, 09:56 PM
At least you didnt trade gaither just to draft a OT round 1. Many people suggest this and if I hear another person suggest it I am going to puke.

Hines
03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
At least you didnt trade gaither just to draft a OT round 1. Many people suggest this and if I hear another person suggest it I am going to puke.

Trade Gaither for an OT in round 1.

Ravens1991
03-29-2010, 09:58 PM
It is the dumbest theory ever, Gaither is 2 years older at most then all rookies, but he also has 2 seasons as a top 10 LT. Not to mention his ceiling is higher then every T in this draft

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-30-2010, 07:05 AM
yeah, but there are so many questions regarding his work ethic, attitude, effort etc. when he was in college, and you can see some of it still sticks with him..

now maybe we get lucky and he matures in the next 1-2 years, then, I'd be all for giving him that big contract he wants.

But imagine giving someone with an already questionable work ethic such a big contract. If I'm sitting in Newsome's chair, I wanna see more out of him before I give him anything.

edit -

Say we got a 2nd and a 4th from the Redskins. I'd be down with that.

TACKLE
03-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Update from the Forum Mock...

We drafted Eric Decker with the 93rd pick (3rd round). Huge steal for us. We were shocked that he was still on the board.

BigDawg819
03-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Update from the Forum Mock...

We drafted Eric Decker with the 93rd pick (3rd round). Huge steal for us. We were shocked that he was still on the board.

You 2 are killing this team and its depth, horrible job. I know this is a draft site but to just deal away players on whims to get unproven picks is ridiculous.

A Perfect Score
03-30-2010, 11:36 AM
We've moved Jared Gaither, who, from all reports coming in, is as good as gone anyways...not to mention we got INCREDIBLE value for him. We moved Dawan Landry who should of been benched already in favor of Zbikowski, and we traded Willis who is overpriced and irrelevant in our backfield. Frees up McClain for more carries. Then we added Greg Olsen, Earl Thomas, Everson Griffen, Alex Carrington, and Eric Decker. If the Ravens pulled this **** off IRL (never possible obviously, but Im just saying) Id be ecstatic.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
We've moved Jared Gaither, who, from all reports coming in, is as good as gone anyways...not to mention we got INCREDIBLE value for him. We moved Dawan Landry who should of been benched already in favor of Zbikowski, and we traded Willis who is overpriced and irrelevant in our backfield. Frees up McClain for more carries. Then we added Greg Olsen, Earl Thomas, Everson Griffen, Alex Carrington, and Eric Decker. If the Ravens pulled this **** off IRL (never possible obviously, but Im just saying) Id be ecstatic.

what did you get for McGahee?

and Gaither is not "as good as gone"

A Perfect Score
03-30-2010, 12:05 PM
We moved McGahee for a 3rd to get Alex Carrington.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-31-2010, 02:26 PM
well, it looks like we're going to go 4-0 in pre-season again. yay!

Carolina
Washington
New York (giants)
St. Louis

i know it's pre-season, but if ya gatta play em, then ya might as well win em.

coordinator0
03-31-2010, 02:47 PM
The Carolina game is on ESPN as well. I'm not a big believer of preseason games meaning much, but they're nice to watch :).

EdReedUnstoppable
03-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Im gonna officially change my stance on Stallworth. Mainly due to the fact that I hope he gets our #3 spot, anything that keeps Clayton off the field is a welcome change. So lets go Stallworth comeback motivated and ready to dominate!

A Perfect Score
03-31-2010, 06:15 PM
Additions:

TE Greg Olsen
DB Earl Thomas, Texas (#17)
DE/OLB Everson Griffen, USC (#30)
DL Alex Carrington, Arkansas State (#80)
WR Eric Decker, Minnesota (#93)
OL Jeff Byers, USC (#157)

Losses:

OT Jared Gaither
S Dawan Landry
RB Willis McGahee

Analysis

Coming into this draft, TACKLE and myself had two goals: add legitimate targets for Joe Flacco, and get younger on defense. We strongly feel that we accomplished both those goals. Getting a Pro Bowl talent in Greg Olsen for the equivalent of a 3rd round pick was huge for us, and adding Eric Decker in the 3rd as a solid possession receiver and future #2 added a little youth to our receiving core. We really feel like that those moves, along with the acquisition of Anquan Boldin earlier in the offseason, give that offense a huge boost. Combined with a rock solid running game surrounding Ray Rice and Le'Ron McClain, and for once we dont have to worry about our offense. The loss of Jared Gaither is regrettable, but really, with Oher as an in house replacement and getting Top 20 value for him, I think we will learn to live with it.

The defensive acquisitions were almost perfect for us as well. Earl Thomas is a great fit both scheme and position wise, as his ability to play both S and CB will help until Reed decides to hang up the cleats. Learning from the very best will undoubtedly help him as well. We had originally targeted Odrick at 25, but when an offer to trade down and accumulate some mid round picks presented itself, we couldnt help it. Ultimately we lost Odrick, but Everson Griffen is a great consolation prize. Hes big, fast, and can play in a 3-4 or 4-3. He would be a terror opposite Suggs and I really like the pick. The addition of Alex Carrington definitely helped ease the pain of missing out on Odrick. Carrington is a Pryce clone capable of playing inside and out, and as you can tell, versatility was a theme for us this draft.

Byers was good value and helped add depth to the interior oline which was hurt a bit with Yanda sliding out to RT.

Overall, I loved what we did and if anything similar happened in real life for the Ravens, Id be stoked. Thoughts?

My explanations for the Forum Mock. If TACKLE has anything to add, hes more then welcome.

BmoreBlackByrdz
03-31-2010, 06:51 PM
The Carolina game is on ESPN as well. I'm not a big believer of preseason games meaning much, but they're nice to watch :).

yeah dude. Our first glimpse of Flacco and Bolding!!!

Im gonna officially change my stance on Stallworth. Mainly due to the fact that I hope he gets our #3 spot, anything that keeps Clayton off the field is a welcome change. So lets go Stallworth comeback motivated and ready to dominate!

yeah, that's what I'm pumped about. Bolding and Mason on the outsides and Stallworth in the slot.

Ravens1991
03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
I am just pumped Clayton isnt on the field, It is strange how our coaching staff keeps guys around because they are nice people. Clayton and walker fit this role perfectly, At least Walker comes up big during the playoffs, Clayton will against Cleveland. Plus Walker hurt Hines Ward you always gotta respect him for that :)

trkaline
03-31-2010, 08:49 PM

Stallworth is in a great position right now out of the slot, with two veterans occupying the majority of the secondary. He won't be asked to do much unlike other stints he had and because of that I think he will do more. No injury bug he can play in the shadows and grab the ball when he can, and in the open field the boy can move.

TACKLE
04-01-2010, 12:19 AM
My explanations for the Forum Mock. If TACKLE has anything to add, hes more then welcome.

Great working with you APS. I was really satisfied with out our draft turned out. Although giving up Gaither was something we had a really hard time doing, for pick #17 it was too hard to turn down. We got a dynamic player maker in the secondary who can play both corner and safety. We feel, early on he can play CB but could eventually take over for E Reed. After missing out on Odrick and Bay Bay, we were still very happy to land Everson Griffen. Everson won't necessarily contribute right away but he is a great fit in out 4-3/3-4 hybrid and has the ability to be a big time pass rusher.

I LOVED what we did in the middle rounds. I think over rounds 2 and 3 we easily had the best draft. Getting Greg Olsen for what really ended up being a 3rd round value was a huge steal. He is a talented, young TE who is better than anybody we could have got in the 2nd or 3rd. My favorite pick of the draft might be Alex Carrington. He is a 6'5 285 beast who brings excellent versatility and is a perfect fit in our defense. 3-4 DE, 4-3 DE, 4-3 DT. He can do it all and also has a big upside too. And also getting Eric Decker in the 3rd was the cherry on top. Decker was a huge steal at the end of the 3rd. He is really underrated and can be a legit #2 WR and maybe even a #1 down the road.

In the 5th we planned on going with BPA. But with a lot of the guys we were hoping would fall not falling it caused me to re-evaluate. Yanda, who is now the RT, was the backup at both interior O-Line positions. Birk is getting old and eith Chester now starting at RG, we need a backup center and we are very thin at guard. Byers is a guy who when healthy, has been very solid. He brings the ability to play center and guard and brings some much needed depth to the interior of the O-Line.

I know trading Gaither was quite controversial among Raven fans. But all in all, when you look at what we did as a whole, I felt we did a great job and would be very satisfied if the draft came out like this in real life.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't mind that

You added youth to our defense is Carrington and E.Thomas, both in the secondary and d-line. That's where we're thin, so good job there.

Also, adding Olsen makes our offense super bowl caliber. Two legitimate TE's. Two great options on the outside and a top 5 running game.

However, you did destroy the depth we had built on the o-line, but that's a small price to pay for such a stacked offense and the much needed injection of youth into our defense.

I could live with that.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I wouldn't mind that

You added youth to our defense is Carrington and E.Thomas, both in the secondary and d-line. That's where we're thin, so good job there.

Also, adding Olsen makes our offense super bowl caliber. Two legitimate TE's. Two great options on the outside and a top 5 running game.

However, you did destroy the depth we had built on the o-line, but that's a small price to pay for such a stacked offense and the much needed injection of youth into our defense.

I could live with that.

We would lose depth in the backfield so I wouldn't put us at a top 5 running game. Even though Willis don't play a lot when he does he does good. You would have to hope whoever takes Gaithers spot steps up and plays at least close to his level or teams with good pass rush will eat us alive. Overall I can **** with it but I like having Willis out there with Rice

TACKLE
04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
We would lose depth in the backfield so I wouldn't put us at a top 5 running game. Even though Willis don't play a lot when he does he does good. You would have to hope whoever takes Gaithers spot steps up and plays at least close to his level or teams with good pass rush will eat us alive. Overall I can **** with it but I like having Willis out there with Rice

We really wanted to get James Starks. He almost fell to us in the 5th but the Bills stole him from us just before we could take him.

We figured that could be the one of the better young backfields in the NFL for an very low price.

BigDawg819
04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
We really wanted to get James Starks. He almost fell to us in the 5th but the Bills stole him from us just before we could take him.

We figured that could be the one of the better young backfields in the NFL for an very low price.

Willis proved very effective late in the year and thats not something you can count on with a rookie. The running game is not a problem and shouldn't be tampered with.

A Perfect Score
04-01-2010, 03:55 PM
If we were to move Willis, Ive full confidence in LeRon to step in and take some carries from Raymell. Hes a good compliment and Id like to see him get some more carries.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-01-2010, 04:31 PM
If we were to move Willis, Ive full confidence in LeRon to step in and take some carries from Raymell. Hes a good compliment and Id like to see him get some more carries.

I wouldn't mind shipping McGahee away, especially for a 3rd. Mainly because he has a large contract, which he doesn't really deserve, now that he is a backup. Granted, he does play hard, but with such a talented draft, if someone offered a 3rd, I could see Ozzie pulling the trigger.

Financially it would be a great move and it's not going to hurt the backfield, as long as you bring in either a full-time fullback (so McClain can move to RB) or another RB to take over for McGahee.

hey, maybe Parmele can be that guy, he looked great on kick return last year. He's someone to lookout for in training camp. (if we do somehow trade McGahee)

GoRavens
04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
My new Ravens mock!
I like it a lot better than before.
A++++

(TRADE: RB, Willis McGahee, for a 4th round pick)
(TRADE: QB, Troy Smith, for a 6th round pick)

1st round: DT, Dan Williams, Tennessee.
2nd round: CB, Dominique Franks, Oklahoma.
4th round: TE, Jimmy Graham, Miami.
5th round: OLB, George Selvie, USF.
5th round: WR, Mike Williams, Syracuse.
6th round: FS, Van Eskridge, ECU.
6th round: QB, Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Do not trade Willis McGahee....thats such an awful idea.

BigDawg819
04-01-2010, 07:06 PM

Could not agree more!

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-01-2010, 07:09 PM
My new Ravens mock!
I like it a lot better than before.
A++++

(TRADE: RB, Willis McGahee, for a 4th round pick)
(TRADE: QB, Troy Smith, for a 6th round pick)

1st round: DT, Dan Williams, Tennessee.
2nd round: CB, Dominique Franks, Oklahoma.
4th round: TE, Jimmy Graham, Miami.
5th round: OLB, George Selvie, USF.
5th round: WR, Mike Williams, Syracuse.
6th round: FS, Van Eskridge, ECU.
6th round: QB, Rusty Smith, Florida Atlantic.

who would give up a 4th rounder for McGahee?

say we got a 3rd or 4th for him, would you still want to keep him?

GoRavens
04-01-2010, 07:25 PM
I like McGahee, don't get me wrong.
But his upside is clearly on the decline. (29 years old)
He's sooo inconsistent, and if our O-line didn't open up massive holes, he wouldn't make much of an impact.
Trading him to a team that could use a powerful veteran wouldn't be a bad idea.
And there's a handful of teams that would love him.
1) Houston
2) Philadelphia
3) Cleveland
- Plus McClain is more powerful than McGahee, and I like what Jalen Parmele can do. (Big, Young & Explosive)

EdReedUnstoppable
04-01-2010, 07:36 PM
say we got a 3rd or 4th for him, would you still want to keep him?

We're not gonna get a 3rd and 4th for him, we'd be lucky to get a 5th for him. And if we got a 3rd and 4th maybe but I still dont like it, because it depletes the depth we have at RB.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-01-2010, 08:15 PM
We're not gonna get a 3rd and 4th for him, we'd be lucky to get a 5th for him. And if we got a 3rd and 4th maybe but I still dont like it, because it depletes the depth we have at RB.

true, it would kill our depth in the backfield, but if a team like San Diego gave up a 3rd or 4th, I think we should accept that in a heartbeat.

reasons

his large contact, trading him would help big time, financially.
Also, this is such a loaded draft, so the more picks we have, the better.
he is aging, and I said earlier that I think Parmele needs to be given a shot. He's young, explosive and physical.

but that being said, I doubt any team offers a 3rd or 4th, for the reasons I just stated, he's aging and has a large contract.

BigDawg819
04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
true, it would kill our depth in the backfield, but if a team like San Diego gave up a 3rd or 4th, I think we should accept that in a heartbeat.

reasons

his large contact, trading him would help big time, financially.
Also, this is such a loaded draft, so the more picks we have, the better.
he is aging, and I said earlier that I think Parmele needs to be given a shot. He's young, explosive and physical.

but that being said, I doubt any team offers a 3rd or 4th, for the reasons I just stated, he's aging and has a large contract.

The uncapped year makes this irrelevant.

Ravens1991
04-01-2010, 08:23 PM
We dont even use McGahee unfourtanetly, I think Parmele could take McGahee load and do it just fine. But if we actually want to use McGahee he can be very effective for us.

Ravens1991
04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco: While Roethlisberger is not attending offseason workouts in Pittsburgh, Flacco is working hard this offseason to take his game to the next level. He's developing chemistry in the offseason program with new receivers Anquan Boldin and Donte' Stallworth. Flacco also took part in baseball training this offseason to strengthen his throwing arm and shoulders. The third-year quarterback, who already has won three career playoff games, hopes to make the jump from a good player to a great one in 2010. If work ethic has anything to do with it, Flacco should be well on his way.

coordinator0
04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Why would we want Dan Williams again?

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-02-2010, 07:24 AM
The uncapped year makes this irrelevant.

yeah, but won't it take effective next year thuogh?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco: While Roethlisberger is not attending offseason workouts in Pittsburgh, Flacco is working hard this offseason to take his game to the next level. He's developing chemistry in the offseason program with new receivers Anquan Boldin and Donte' Stallworth. Flacco also took part in baseball training this offseason to strengthen his throwing arm and shoulders. The third-year quarterback, who already has won three career playoff games, hopes to make the jump from a good player to a great one in 2010. If work ethic has anything to do with it, Flacco should be well on his way.

man, you rarely get to read stuff like this. Praising Joe Flacco!! Man I love it!! I can't wait to see how Joe Flacco plays next year.

I guess many people like him and Ngata next to each other in a 4-3 defense. I wouldn't mind it either, but they both wouldn't get much of a pass rush, but we'd be great vs. the run.

GoRavens
04-02-2010, 07:56 AM

I'll explain all my picks;

DT, Dan Williams - The Ravens D-line is getting really old and run down. Haloti Ngata is fantastic, but Kelly Gregg, and Trevor Pryce are soon to retire. Dwan Edwards left the team, and signed with Buffalo. Getting a future DT that will free up space for linebackers is essential. Teaming Ngata up with Williams would make it really hard to run the ball on Baltimore. If Dan Williams is still available at #25, he'd be the BPA & fill a huge need. I love his game and I think the Ravens coaching staff will successfully be able to channel his consistency. He's really quick for a 325+ pounder, tremendously powerful, smart and instinctive.

CB, Dominique Franks - Franks is the most underrated cornerback in this draft class, hands down. He's got NFL size and speed, but what I love most about his game is how fluid he is in coverage. He has awesome hands, and will make plays once he gets the pick. I also love his work ethic and support in the run game. He's really well rounded in his game, and will be a stud cornerback in the NFL. He's an absolute ballhawk, but he'll need time to develop his technique, which is why, as a rookie, he'd sit behind Washington, Webb, Foxworth, & Carr. Let him develop on special teams, and by next year we can finally cut Washington & let Franks start as a nickel back.

TE, Jimmy Graham - Yes, he's a project. But I haven't given up on Todd Heap just yet like most people. Graham will need time to develop into an NFL TE, but he has all the talent in the world to excel. Baltimore's coaching staff will focus on making him stronger, and more aggressive in the runninggame, but 2 seasons on the bench will be just enough to make Jimmy Graham the future TE for the Ravens.

OLB, George Selvie - Great talent but he needs to channel the best of his game to make it in the pros. When Selvie is hot, he's explosive with great energy and terrific hand use. When he's not, he's weak and plays too tall, which allows him to get pushed around. Baltimore will switch him up to an OLB, which should enhance our passrush. Proper coaching is important, but if Selvie can stay more consistent, he'll be a huge steal for Baltimore. I think he could learn a lot from Suggs, and be a force in the NFL.

WR, Mike Williams - All talent, no brains. #52 is going to take the father role for this kid, and hopefully change his attitude around. Williams has all the talent in the world, so I'm hoping he stops acting like a fool. If successful, Baltimore will find an awesome receiver for the future.

FS, Van Eskridge - I love Eskridge. He's who I'd want to learn everything from Ed Reed and replace him as the starting FS. He's super active, and was dominate in college in both the run game and the pass game. Another project type, but he'll succeed early on special teams.

QB, Rusty Smith - With Troy Smiths whiney butt gone, Baltimore needs a better backup. My boy, Rusty, is a great, underrated QB. Very intelligent passer, and a great overall arm. I honestly think he's good enough to go as early as round 4, but most are critics because they've never seen him play.

& for more RB depth
UDFA - RB, Andre Dixon, UConn.
UDFA - RB, Lamarcus Coker, Hampton.

coordinator0
04-02-2010, 09:09 AM
I'll explain all my picks;

DT, Dan Williams - The Ravens D-line is getting really old and run down. Haloti Ngata is fantastic, but Kelly Gregg, and Trevor Pryce are soon to retire. Dwan Edwards left the team, and signed with Buffalo. Getting a future DT that will free up space for linebackers is essential. Teaming Ngata up with Williams would make it really hard to run the ball on Baltimore. If Dan Williams is still available at #25, he'd be the BPA & fill a huge need. I love his game and I think the Ravens coaching staff will successfully be able to channel his consistency. He's really quick for a 325+ pounder, tremendously powerful, smart and instinctive.

OLB, George Selvie - Great talent but he needs to channel the best of his game to make it in the pros. When Selvie is hot, he's explosive with great energy and terrific hand use. When he's not, he's weak and plays too tall, which allows him to get pushed around. Baltimore will switch him up to an OLB, which should enhance our passrush. Proper coaching is important, but if Selvie can stay more consistent, he'll be a huge steal for Baltimore. I think he could learn a lot from Suggs, and be a force in the NFL.

I agree that having Ngata and Williams next to each other would provide tremendous space for our linebackers, but what the hell are they going to do with it? Mattison surely isn't sending them on a blitz (for the most part). We already are a team that is really hard to run the ball on. We might not be quite as dominant as we were a couple of seasons ago, but the best teams also aren't running the ball like they did a couple of seasons ago. He most definitely isn't filling a huge need. I'd rather use Brandon McKinney in that kind of role, who showed he could handle it last season (albeit in limited playing time).

Eww, just eww. Selvie is not a good player, and I wouldn't touch him in any round of the draft. He's not going to be able to play DE in the pros, and he's slow for an 4-3 OLB. We aren't going to be using a 3-4 as often either, so why draft him? Huge waste of a pick.

GoRavens
04-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Selvie is not a good player.

-Well agree to disagree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZLb6jdnZ0
I think he'll be better in the pros than his last 2 seasons of college.
I love his motor, and I think he has a ton of value as a pass rusher.
Just watch his highlight tape, his get off is amazing

coordinator0
04-02-2010, 09:20 AM
-Well agree to disagree.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZLb6jdnZ0
I think he'll be better in the pros than his last 2 seasons of college.
I love his motor, and I think he has a ton of value as a pass rusher.

The title of that video is George Selvie 2007, his one and only good year. I wouldn't be using a two-year old highlight tape to hype up a player. Selvie was consistently shut down by NFL-caliber lineman in college and I don't think he has either the strength or speed to be able to play at the next level. I agree, we'll agree to disagree :).

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-02-2010, 09:47 AM
I agree that having Ngata and Williams next to each other would provide tremendous space for our linebackers, but what the hell are they going to do with it? Mattison surely isn't sending them on a blitz (for the most part). We already are a team that is really hard to run the ball on. We might not be quite as dominant as we were a couple of seasons ago, but the best teams also aren't running the ball like they did a couple of seasons ago. He most definitely isn't filling a huge need. I'd rather use Brandon McKinney in that kind of role, who showed he could handle it last season (albeit in limited playing time).

Eww, just eww. Selvie is not a good player, and I wouldn't touch him in any round of the draft. He's not going to be able to play DE in the pros, and he's slow for an 4-3 OLB. We aren't going to be using a 3-4 as often either, so why draft him? Huge waste of a pick.

yeah, with this league becoming so pass oriented, run stopping is still big, but not as big as it used to be.

and you bring up a great point, why draft Williams when we already have a mammoth space eater in McKinney.

GoRavens
04-02-2010, 01:51 PM
why draft Williams when we already have McKinney.

What has Brandon McKinney proven in the NFL?
He's too fat (340+) to be a starter & he isn't productive at all.
He's situational at best, not a starter.
Dan Williams is so much more athletic, is better in pursuit, and makes more plays.

With deciding a Ravens mock it's BPA basically.
1) CB - Kyle Wilson
2) DT - Dan Williams, Jared Odrick, Brian Price, Lamaar Houston, Terrence Cody.
3) TE - Jermaine Gresham
4) OLB/DE- Sergio Kindle, Everson Griffen, Jerry Hughes,
- It'll be either one of these 10 players, guaranteed. My top 3 is
1) Dan Williams
2) Jermaine Gresham
3) Sergio Kindle

PS about the hate on George Selvie
If you've ever watched an USF game in (08-09), you'd realize that Selvie was constantly double/triple teamed. TEs, RBs, FBs, OTs would all be focused on Selvie during any passing downs. JPP is tremendously overrated. He can do backflips, good for him.
JPP always had 1 guy to block him on passing downs, so its unfair that Selvie gets hate based off of his declined stats.
The man obviously has skill if he racked up 69 TFL and 29 sacks in his USF career.
I like his rushing ability, and placed with the right scheme and right coaches, he's going to be a gem. just wait

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Dan Williams is so much more athletic, is better in pursuit, and makes more plays.

1) CB - Kyle Wilson
3) TE - Jermaine Gresham
1) Dan Williams
2) Jermaine Gresham
3) Sergio Kindle

If you've ever watched an USF game in (08-09), you'd realize that Selvie was constantly double/triple teamed. TEs, RBs, FBs, OTs would all be focused on Selvie during any passing downs. JPP is tremendously overrated. He can do backflips, good for him.
JPP always had 1 guy to block him on passing downs, so its unfair that Selvie gets hate based off of his declined stats.
The man obviously has skill if he racked up 69 TFL and 29 sacks in his USF career.
I like his rushing ability, and placed with the right scheme and right coaches, he's going to be a gem. just wait

He isn't productive, because he barely gets any PT.

and how do you know Williams will make more plays and be better in pursuit? He may do that in college, but you can't say he's better than McKinney until he's played a down in the NFL, don't be so ignorant.

also, it really hurts to say this but I doubt we'll land Kyle Wilson, with the Eagles trading Sheldon Brown, it adds another team that is in need of a corner. (unless they move Macho Harris to CB) to go with Green Bay, Houston, San Fran and Pittsburgh. :(

coordinator0
04-02-2010, 05:09 PM

1) CB - Kyle Wilson
3) TE - Jermaine Gresham
1) Dan Williams
2) Jermaine Gresham
3) Sergio Kindle

I don't think McKinney is a starter either, but I don't think we need another big space-eating DT starting next to Ngata.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-02-2010, 05:11 PM
he may not be a starter, but I think he (like Justin Bannan and Dwan Edwards) could be a great role player for the Ravens d-line rotation.

coordinator0
04-02-2010, 05:24 PM

He might be good in the right scheme with the right coaches, but that's not what Baltimore is. It's what we were.

ChefMike
04-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Might this be the sign we are trading Gaither for something to the Cowboys?

If we do and we don't get a 1st Rd pick out of the deal.. I will be pissed, I think Gaither is a 10 year lock at LT and we never have to worry. I sure hope that we can find a replacement at RT for Oher if something happens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8174c39c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-03-2010, 07:18 AM
People say this is mostly a financial decision.

Does this mean that we can't sign Ngata AND Gaither?

sorry, I always have a hard time understanding the financial side of football.

GoRavens
04-03-2010, 07:52 AM
I don't understand why we would trade one of our best, youngest players for a second round pick. -___-
That'd be such a horrible decision.

coordinator0
04-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Might this be the sign we are trading Gaither for something to the Cowboys?

If we do and we don't get a 1st Rd pick out of the deal.. I will be pissed, I think Gaither is a 10 year lock at LT and we never have to worry. I sure hope that we can find a replacement at RT for Oher if something happens.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8174c39c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I don't think that's really a sign of us doing anything. Flozell wasn't very good last season and he's also pretty old in football standards. It might be a sign that the Cowboys are willing to give up more though.

SeanTaylorRIP
04-03-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't understand why we would trade one of our best, youngest players for a second round pick. -___-
That'd be such a horrible decision.
I think we have pretty much gone through all the points. The Ravens feel like Oher is the better player. So do you really want to pay a guy who is that talented to be a RT? I know guys like Gross got huge contracts to play RT, but Oher is smoother at LT. Why commit so much money to 2 guys when playing Oher at RT is kind of limiting his talent. By sliding over Oher to LT you can sign a very good RT for not even half the price Gaither will get and the O-line will be just as good. Also I'm sure Ozzie is itching to get another pick. He'd probably turn that early 2nd into a couple of 3rds.

coordinator0
04-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I think we have pretty much gone through all the points. The Ravens feel like Oher is the better player. So do you really want to pay a guy who is that talented to be a RT? I know guys like Gross got huge contracts to play RT, but Oher is smoother at LT. Why commit so much money to 2 guys when playing Oher at RT is kind of limiting his talent. By sliding over Oher to LT you can sign a very good RT for not even half the price Gaither will get and the O-line will be just as good. Also I'm sure Ozzie is itching to get another pick. He'd probably turn that early 2nd into a couple of 3rds.

So.. Gaither for two thirds? Yeah, no. Even if we do re-sign Gaither, we don't have that much money committed to both he and Oher right now. Oher is still on his rookie contract after all, and will be for 3/4 more years.

GoRavens
04-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Good points.
But I feel Gaither is too young to get traded away this off-season.

A Perfect Score
04-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Look at it this way: We wont be resigning Ngata and Gaither, especially with the contract we just gave Suggs. So would you rather lose Gaither, who we have an in house replacement for, or Ngata, a top 3 DT in the league at a position we are already thin at?

Not to mention, its either we trade Gaither now and get something for him at all, or let him walk next year and get nothing for him. Im inclined to want the former.

Also, do you really think Ozzie would let Gaither go for a 2nd if there wasnt some reason for it, be it injuries, personality, etc.? Ozzie isnt stupid, and if hes willing to let Gaither go for so little, its pretty telling I would imagine.

coordinator0
04-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Look at it this way: We wont be resigning Ngata and Gaither, especially with the contract we just gave Suggs. So would you rather lose Gaither, who we have an in house replacement for, or Ngata, a top 3 DT in the league at a position we are already thin at?

Not to mention, its either we trade Gaither now and get something for him at all, or let him walk next year and get nothing for him. Im inclined to want the former.

Also, do you really think Ozzie would let Gaither go for a 2nd if there wasnt some reason for it, be it injuries, personality, etc.? Ozzie isnt stupid, and if hes willing to let Gaither go for so little, its pretty telling I would imagine.

This is pretty much the only argument I buy for trading Gaither. I think a lot depends on what the new salary cap looks like (if there is one) in the future. Bisciotti would pay Gaither if he was able to work him in the cap. We really don't have any knowledge about how the CBA talks are progressing, but the owners might have a feel for when things could get done.

GoRavens
04-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Imagine Baltimore drafting Bruce Campbell

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM

you make a good point, that is one downside to having such a good scouting department and front office personnel, you can never keep ALL the talent you bring in. It's a shame.

But, if your theory is right, and Ozzie is trying to get something for Gaither, then I would expect Gaither to get traded during the draft.

thats probably when trade talks heat up a bit more and teams are willing to part ways with draft picks and/or move up and down draft boards.

A Perfect Score
04-03-2010, 02:24 PM

Why would that be a good thing? Campbell is awful.

GoRavens
04-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm not saying it'd be a good thing.
But they got 1 Maryland project tackle, coached him then traded him away. Now they get another project Maryland tackle and do the same thing

A Perfect Score
04-03-2010, 02:26 PM
That would be a very bad idea. Campbell is simply not good, and its looking like we will be able to squeeze a top 40 pick out of the Gaither situation if the reports are true. Hopefully we use it to snag someone like Jerry Hughes at the top of the 2nd.

TACKLE
04-03-2010, 02:27 PM

Why would we want the crappy version of Jared Gaither? He cannot run block and he cannot play RT. I'm not sure if you were suggesting that it would a good or bad move. But let me tell you, it would be a very bad move.

GoRavens
04-03-2010, 02:32 PM
If we trade Gaither for a 2nd round pick this is what I'd like to happen;
LT- Oher
LG- Grubbs
C- Birk
RG- Yanda
RT- Cousins
- That's not too bad of a lineup considering the points everyone has brought up about the Gaither/Ngata conflict. I'd much rather have Ngata locked up & that starting Offensive line is pretty nice.

A Perfect Score
04-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Early rumors have the Redskins and pick #36 and the Raiders and pick #39 interested in Gaither. I would assume alot of what the Raiders do is dependent on any McNabb developments though. If we DID manage to deal Gaither for a pick that high, Id like us to go Dline in the first, maybe Odrick, then possibly target someone like Kareem Jackson at the top of the 2nd. Or a pass rusher like Hughes.

coordinator0
04-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Early rumors have the Redskins and pick #36 and the Raiders and pick #39 interested in Gaither. I would assume alot of what the Raiders do is dependent on any McNabb developments though. If we DID manage to deal Gaither for a pick that high, Id like us to go Dline in the first, maybe Odrick, then possibly target someone like Kareem Jackson at the top of the 2nd. Or a pass rusher like Hughes.

Yuck yuck and yuck lol. It seems you still believe the notion we'll be using a 3-4 type of defense still, or at least for the majority of the time.

A Perfect Score
04-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I believe we will be. Our personnel is perfect for, and used to, a 3-4 defense and while I agree the eventual change to a base 4-3 system is coming, it wont be this season. Both Odrick and Hughes are capable of playing in both systems, and Odrick would be a beast of a 3 tech next to Ngata in a 4-3. Hughes is just awesome no matter where he is playing, and could provide some much needed pass rush opposite Suggs. If they are drafted of course.

Im not buying that we will be running a base 4-3 this season, or even the season after.

coordinator0
04-03-2010, 03:49 PM
I believe we will be. Our personnel is perfect for, and used to, a 3-4 defense and while I agree the eventual change to a base 4-3 system is coming, it wont be this season. Both Odrick and Hughes are capable of playing in both systems, and Odrick would be a beast of a 3 tech next to Ngata in a 4-3. Hughes is just awesome no matter where he is playing, and could provide some much needed pass rush opposite Suggs. If they are drafted of course.

Im not buying that we will be running a base 4-3 this season, or even the season after.

While I think that Odrick could play in the 4-3 (definitely not his ideal scheme IMO), Hughes really doesn't fit it on our team. I don't think either he or Suggs could play base end.

GoRavens
04-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Brandon Graham would be a great pickup because he can play DE and OLB.
I still think it should be either Gresham or Dan Williams picked in the first round.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-04-2010, 10:16 AM
I'd love Graham.

and seriously guys, why does everyone think we'll be switching to a 4-3 permanently? Did Harbaugh ever say it?

I believe we'll will always run both 3-4 and 4-3 sets. Along with many other defenses.

coordinator0
04-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd love Graham.

and seriously guys, why does everyone think we'll be switching to a 4-3 permanently? Did Harbaugh ever say it?

I believe we'll will always run both 3-4 and 4-3 sets. Along with many other defenses.

I think we'll still be using 3-4 sets, just not in pressure situations. Last season when it came to third and medium/long Mattison primarily went with a 4-man line. As it stands right now I don't think our 3-4 sets need any/much help along the front seven, while the 4-man line does.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 09:41 AM
The McNabb trade pretty much rules out the Redskins trying to get Gaither. I love that trade :).

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-05-2010, 04:36 PM
The McNabb trade pretty much rules out the Redskins trying to get Gaither. I love that trade :).

it actually makes it more likely. They just got McNabb, so if Okung doesn't fall to them, they could very well be giving Ozzie Newsome a call.

Hell, maybe they even prefer Gaither > Okung and want to trade pre-draft. Who knows?

A Perfect Score
04-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I think he means the Skins no longer have the ammo to trade for Gaither. Unless they wanna ship us Fat Al. Which is just oh so much fun to imagine, but is completely unrealistic.

TACKLE
04-05-2010, 04:53 PM
I think he means the Skins no longer have the ammo to trade for Gaither. Unless they wanna ship us Fat Al. Which is just oh so much fun to imagine, but is completely unrealistic.

The thought of Ngata and Haynesworth playing side by side entered my mind too. Ray would probably get like 200+ tackles. lol. But I know its never going to happen.

A Perfect Score
04-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Contract wise, it isnt feasible. But a defensive line consisting of Pryce, Ngata, Haynesworth, and Suggs would just be absolutely dominant. Those two DTs would make the 2000 group look like a bunch of pussies.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Contract wise, it isnt feasible. But a defensive line consisting of Pryce, Ngata, Haynesworth, and Suggs would just be absolutely dominant. Those two DTs would make the 2000 group look like a bunch of pussies.

lmao. the Raven games would look more like comedies instead of NFL Football. nobody could run on us, and opposing QB's would like about 3-4 seconds at most to throw..

but in reality..

is it really out of question that the Redskins won't give there 1st rounder for Gaither? I mean, they've had a history of trading picks, (yeah I know it's a new organization) but still, a 1st for Gaither isn't completely ridiculous.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Maybe the Redskins 1st for Gaither and our 2nd????

A Perfect Score
04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I cant really see it happening. The value just isnt there, even with Crazy Snyder running the show. I think its alot more likely someone like Oakland ponies up a 2nd.

TACKLE
04-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I don't see the Redskins being interested in Gaither. Not for money or compensation reasons but he just doesn't fit in Mike Shannahan's system.

coordinator0
04-05-2010, 06:37 PM
it actually makes it more likely. They just got McNabb, so if Okung doesn't fall to them, they could very well be giving Ozzie Newsome a call.

Hell, maybe they even prefer Gaither > Okung and want to trade pre-draft. Who knows?

Like APS said, I don't think they have the ammo to get Gaither without a 2nd and third round pick now. I highly doubt they move out of the 4th pick for Gaither, and I don't think Ozzie would do it anyways. The main issue I see with all the trade talk is that the Ravens don't want to pay Gaither, but that #4 pick would get just as much (if not more) than Gaither. I don't see us committing that money to a safety (Berry), and we surely aren't taking a tackle because it'd be ridiculously dumb to turn around and give all that money to another OT. Unless Suh or McCoy are there (highly unlikely IMO), it just wouldn't make sense.

Maybe the Redskins 1st for Gaither and our 2nd????

Don't see that happening either, because of reasons stated above and the fact that we wouldn't have a pick after 25 until the 5th round.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-06-2010, 09:10 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/06/report-ravens-talked-trade-to-get-gaither-to-attend-workouts/

Take it for what it's worth.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I don;t know how reliable this is but could McGahee possibly be in the trading block??

I say, if we can get a 3rd or 4th, go for it, but anything lower, we'd be better off keeping him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/10/pro-bowl-running-back-on-the-trading-block/

coordinator0
04-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm guessing it's Lynch, but if we can get a decent 3rd for him I'd do it. Anything less probably wouldn't get us anything that'd help us more than McGahee.

coordinator0
04-10-2010, 03:05 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ravens-Chris-Chester-likely-to-stay-put-as-restricted-free-agent.html

Good versatile backup, I'm glad to see he'll be around for another season (most likely).

TACKLE
04-10-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Ravens-Chris-Chester-likely-to-stay-put-as-restricted-free-agent.html

Good versatile backup, I'm glad to see he'll be around for another season (most likely).

He's a guy who's really nice to have. He can play both guard positions as well as center. That makes it so we have to dress less O-Lineman on gameday. Matt Birk isn't getting any younger and Chester could eventually take over at center. I really like having both him and Yanda because of the versatility they offer.

Ravens1991
04-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I agree I mean he is a little dissapointing not starting as a 2nd round pick, but he is behind 2 great guards and a good C. I love his versatility I hope we keep him around

A Perfect Score
04-10-2010, 05:00 PM
He should probably be playing in a ZBS, as hes practically created for that system. If we could of got a 3rd for him I would of been thrilled. Up until last year, he was very subpar.

coordinator0
04-10-2010, 05:05 PM
He should probably be playing in a ZBS, as hes practically created for that system. If we could of got a 3rd for him I would of been thrilled. Up until last year, he was very subpar.

Yes I agree, but I just don't see a team giving that up for him. The article does mention that he would fit with Washington, but they don't have a third this year (and maybe next). Seahawks would be in the same boat trading for Whitehurst. I'd consider trading him for a 4th actually, especially if Gaither isn't traded (I like Cousins inside at guard a lot).

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Santonio Holmes is now out of the division, great news for us Raven fans!!!

Ravens1991
04-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I am pumped as well he always did good against us, I just hope they dont trade for Marshall now

coordinator0
04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I am pumped as well he always did good against us, I just hope they dont trade for Marshall now

They won't go from one character concern to another, and I doubt that they'll go after Dez in the draft too.

A Perfect Score
04-13-2010, 03:14 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/341432004/wilsona_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider) RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider)
Talked briefly today with Ravens second-year DE-OLB Paul Kruger, he has definitely bulked up. He's about 270 to 272 pounds now.

Maybe they were serious about this 5 tech business after all.

coordinator0
04-13-2010, 03:30 PM
http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/341432004/wilsona_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider) RavensInsider (http://twitter.com/RavensInsider)
Talked briefly today with Ravens second-year DE-OLB Paul Kruger, he has definitely bulked up. He's about 270 to 272 pounds now.

Maybe they were serious about this 5 tech business after all.

Or LDE in a 4-3 set, which fits him best IMO.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-13-2010, 03:59 PM
sweet. Glad to hear that Kruger is putting in work. I would love to see him succeed. We really need some young play maker on the outside of the d-line.

EdReedUnstoppable
04-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Hopefully he's gaining talent with that weight! Would like to see our 2nd rd pick succeed.

coordinator0
04-14-2010, 03:28 PM
I think with more weight/strength Kruger will be able to utilize his talent effectively. IMO he can't beat guys with pure athleticism because he doesn't have it, and he needs strength and experience to get better.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-20-2010, 07:16 PM
damn, we got the Jet's in week 1. We gonna get our asses kicked.

Hines
04-20-2010, 07:20 PM
4 out of your first 6 games are tough.

coordinator0
04-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Ehh, I'll judge how tough the games are once the season gets under way. IMO there's too many surprises (both bad and good) with teams in the NFL.

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Sanchez is the key to the Jets season. They have everything else in place. If we can give him a tough season opener, I think we have a chance to win.

trkaline
04-21-2010, 08:23 AM
We don't know how our team will play yet, so I give it a W until it turns into an L...

BmoreBlackByrdz
04-29-2010, 08:03 PM
now that the draft is over, I just wanted to get some opinions on Jared Gaither. Since we didn't trade him, what's his future look like? I called on Scott Garceau and even asked if it was even possible to re-sign Ngata AND Gaither in the same offseason, and they all said it's possible, but very unlikely.

So, come next year, I'm pretty sure the Ravens will give out big money to Ngata and likely let Gaither walk, so why didn't we trade him before the draft?

I'm not the biggest fan of trading him, it's just that why not get something from him now, rather than just letting him walk next year?

BigDawg819
04-29-2010, 08:47 PM
now that the draft is over, I just wanted to get some opinions on Jared Gaither. Since we didn't trade him, what's his future look like? I called on Scott Garceau and even asked if it was even possible to re-sign Ngata AND Gaither in the same offseason, and they all said it's possible, but very unlikely.

So, come next year, I'm pretty sure the Ravens will give out big money to Ngata and likely let Gaither walk, so why didn't we trade him before the draft?

I'm not the biggest fan of trading him, it's just that why not get something from him now, rather than just letting him walk next year?

You have to have a team willing to trade with and based on the result that wasn't the case.

And it is basically pointless to ponder any future resignings until there is a new CBA agreed to, and when thats done until we know what the parameters are.

coordinator0
04-29-2010, 11:13 PM
You have to have a team willing to trade with and based on the result that wasn't the case.

And it is basically pointless to ponder any future resignings until there is a new CBA agreed to, and when thats done until we know what the parameters are.

Pretty much this. If we do get a cap back it might be large enough where it would be easy to sign both Ngata and Gaither in the same offseason. Especially if player salaries come down, but I'm not sold on that happening.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
04-30-2010, 08:06 AM
damn, we got the Jet's in week 1. We gonna get our asses kicked.

You're scared of them bitches? **** them Ravens all day.

trkaline
04-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Yeah, the Jets got better this offseason but so have we. As I stated earlier, no games have been played yet, so its a W until its an L.

A Perfect Score
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Keep in mind, Jets dont have Santonio for the first 4 games, so that negates one of their key offseason acquisitions.

Ravens1991
04-30-2010, 09:44 AM
No reason to say we are going to get our asses kicked, its going to be a good game. I just want to see Ray Rice stiff arm bart scott after SCott talked **** on Harbuagh after that pre-season game.

BigDawg819
04-30-2010, 10:26 AM
Lets see where we stand after the preseason with injuries and what not then we'll have a fair assessment of what to expect for the Jets game.

Ravens1991
04-30-2010, 06:43 PM
I was thinking, do you guys think we could use Dickson like we used Kelly Washington in the slot last year? A bigger reciever who is a step faster then LBs but to big for your common nickelback.

Ravens1991
05-01-2010, 10:20 AM
I heard we signed Prince Miller as a UDFA, he maybe our return man next year or at least compete for that spot.

coordinator0
05-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Out of the UDFAs, I think that Miller has one of the better chances to make the team considering his special teams value and the fact that he plays corner, at which we might need a body or two in the beginning of the season if Webb and/or Washington can't go.

Here's the list of UDFA we signed, from http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/p/2010-nfl-undrafted-free-agents.html :

Rodelin Anthony, WR, UNLV
John Fletcher, DL, Wyoming
Albert McClellan, DE, Marshall
Ashton Hall, S, Marshall
Curtis Steele, RB, Memphis
Mike McLaughlin, LB, Boston College
Morgan Cox, LS, Tennessee
Prince Miller, CB, Georgia

I've also read that we'll be trying McLaughlin out at FB. Don't really see any of the other guys having a shot at the roster unless they are excellent in camp.

Ravens1991
05-01-2010, 01:32 PM
I am intrigued by McLaughlin, he put up some solid combine #s (top performer in bench, vertical jump, 3 cone drill, and 20 yard shuttle) and he is a tough hard nosed competitor. I think he could be a back up FB and a special teams contributor.

GoRavens
05-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I saw Mike McLaughlin play a couple of times, he's a beast vs. the run

Ravens1991
05-01-2010, 05:16 PM
from reading up on him I would want us to try him at LB but we are so stacked there, a guy like Jason Phillips probably wont make the team. I think either McLaughlin or Edgar Jones will make the team as a backup FB and special teams contributor.

BigDawg819
05-01-2010, 05:21 PM
from reading up on him I would want us to try him at LB but we are so stacked there, a guy like Jason Phillips probably wont make the team. I think either McLaughlin or Edgar Jones will make the team as a backup FB and special teams contributor.

If an UDFA makes this team over a draft pick that was hurt and never got a chance to show his worth, thats not a good sign. Picks need to be given seniority over UDFA's.

Ravens1991
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Personally I don't support that theory if a 2nd year 5th round pick loses out on the roster for a UDFA at a different position.

coordinator0
05-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't think Phillips will lose his roster spot for anybody this season, unless he totally blows in camp. That doesn't seem likely with the kind of player he was coming out of college, a hard-nosed good worker that has adequate physical tools. Personally I like him better than Gooden inside, and especially over McClain.

Ravens1991
05-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I agree that McClain belongs at 34 OLB. But lets se how it plays out, he probably will make the team but there is a chance he doesnt. He is your typical 2 down run stuffer in a 34. Gooden I think belongs in a 43. We will see how it plays out.

EdReedUnstoppable
05-01-2010, 08:31 PM
I would say given how incredibly awful Matt Katula is that Morgan Cox has a pretty good shot at making the team.

Ravens1991
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
he was hurt at the end of the season, hopefully Katula improves.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-02-2010, 07:27 AM
I would say given how incredibly awful Matt Katula is that Morgan Cox has a pretty good shot at making the team.

Really dude? The guy has one bad year, due to injury and you're calling him awful? yes he had a pretty bad end to the season, but before the 09 season, he was simply perfect, yet no one gave him props. If he can get back to 100%, you'll never hear his name during games.

sorry, I'm friends with his cousin, so I gatta support him :)

Also, who else is pumped for our receiving corp this year. TC is going to be very interesting.

I think the starting 3 is pretty much locked up with Boldin, Mason, and Stallworth. The rest is all going to be interesting.

Our FO really likes David Reed, hopefully he's going to be that steal we always manage to get in the late rounds. I think, he can flourish in the slot and rotating with Stallworth would be an effective way to use him.

Clayton is loved by the coaching staff, but sooner or later, his mediocre play will catch up to him, the fact that he won't be starter AND that he can't play special teams is going to hurt his chances of making the team. I'm down for trading him for like a 6th rounder. This guy blows, the only thing keeping him on the team is the fear of injury to Boldin.

I think Marcus Smith could make the team, if he shows he is fully recovered from the knee injury he had in pre-season. He was an excellent gunner and I many believed he was starting to develop as a WR.

Justin Harper, if he worked on his catching, will be intriguing, the guy has all the physical tools, but couldn't catch work a damn.

I know Ravens1991, loves Riley, and he may make the team if he can shine on special teams,(his main competition would likely be Marcus Smith) but with the addition of Boldin and Stallworth and our coaching staffs love affair with Mark Clayton, I can't see him making the team.

Ravens1991
05-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I like your breakdown w/ the WRs, yeah Clayton is a great guy and all but I say cut him, he cant play special teams while young guns like Smith and RIley have more overall potential and can play special teams. Yeah Clayton you are nice but lifes a ***** see ya.

Dont forget Demetrius Williams in the mix, He really bulked up last off season and Flacco targeted him whenever he was in, but he is the opposite of Clayton, the coaches seem to hate him.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-02-2010, 12:59 PM
yeah, Riley and Smith have more long-term value AND special teams ability, but again, if an injury does occur, I think the coaching staff feels safer with Clayton stepping up rather than an un-proven, inexperienced young guy.

I say, if we can get a 6th or 7th for Clayton, do it, we shouldn't just cut him.

coordinator0
05-02-2010, 01:13 PM
I think we'll keep 5 receivers on the active roster and a couple of the PS like last season. Boldin and Mason are pretty set in stone as the two starting guys, but I think the final three spots will be a battle. Stallworth will probably make it and I think David Reed will too. IMO the last WR spot will come down to Clayton, Williams, or Smith. Smith is probably the guy with the most versatility because of his ST ability, and the coaching staff really liked him before his injury last season. I don't think Williams will make the team, the coaching staff doesn't seem to like him much. Clayton will be an interesting guy to watch, but I really hope we go our separate ways with him.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-02-2010, 02:57 PM
yeah, I can't stand him either, but his experience in the offense is the only thing keeping him on the team.

edit -
this just came to me - Why not just trade or cut Clayton, and re-sign Kelley Washington. Both guys know the offense and Flacco even looked more at Washington on third downs than he did Clayton.

Ravens1991
05-02-2010, 03:35 PM
I think Kelly Washington is demanding 2 much money, that is my only guess. I am shocked he hasnt been picked up yet, he works hard and did well.

coordinator0
05-02-2010, 04:14 PM
If Washington was an option I'd definitely want him as the 5th receiver to make the team (likely the 3rd of 4th WR on the depth chart), but I haven't seen any indications of him returning to the Ravens. Early on there was supposedly interest from the Bills but nothing since.

Ravens1991
05-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I agree he is obviously better then Clayton and is possibly better then stallworth. He is either a big asshole and a team cancer or he is asking for too much money.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-02-2010, 05:22 PM
he is neither a cancer or demanding a big contract, I have no idea why we didn't at least invite him into TC.

I heard that from the minute he signed his contract(last year), he was always in the facility, either conditioning, lifting and just down right working hard. I loved the dancing he brought to our offense, IDK but it just added some pizazz. He was also a monster on third down.

I do remember at end of the year that he said he "thought he should have been used more." and he was absolutely right, I hope we aren't holding a grudge against him because he said that.

Ravens1991
05-02-2010, 05:49 PM
yeah lets be real here, Clayton sucks, Washington was better then Clayton. He brought swag and he brought us a some what productive WR. I have never heard of clayton being a really hard worker or anything that Washington was. I really think it is because he is demanding a big contract or something. IDK it sucks he was beastly.

Guess who is going to the Ravens Jets game??? This guy!!!!!!!

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
yeah lets be real here, Clayton sucks, Washington was better then Clayton. He brought swag and he brought us a some what productive WR. I have never heard of clayton being a really hard worker or anything that Washington was. I really think it is because he is demanding a big contract or something. IDK it sucks he was beastly.

Guess who is going to the Ravens Jets game??? This guy!!!!!!!

nice dude. I've never been to a game before. I might go to the Redskins vs. Ravens preseason game as well as the Buffalo game or Tampa Bay game this year.

how are the games?

Ravens1991
05-04-2010, 10:49 PM
its so awesome, I have season tickets and I have been to the meadowlands twice, and Hinez field for the AFC title game. The intensity is unbelieveable. I will never forget the feeling going up on the bus for the AFC title game, but I am desperately trying to forget the results.

trkaline
05-05-2010, 06:53 AM
Just found out the Aso to the Ravens trade was squashed...which surprised me because I never heard that rumor. Who actually bought that rumor? Aso would require way too much money, and we would probably lose both Gaither and Ngata in FA if that tomfoolery happened.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
05-05-2010, 09:00 AM
nice dude. I've never been to a game before. I might go to the Redskins vs. Ravens preseason game as well as the Buffalo game or Tampa Bay game this year.

how are the games?

I have been to 2 games one against the turds and last year against the Lions(Got the tickets for free). I had just as much fun in the sun playing the turds as I did in the pouring down rain against the Lions. One of the best experiences.

coordinator0
05-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Just found out the Aso to the Ravens trade was squashed...which surprised me because I never heard that rumor. Who actually bought that rumor? Aso would require way too much money, and we would probably lose both Gaither and Ngata in FA if that tomfoolery happened.

There really wasn't ever anything substantial with those rumors, I don't see Aso being traded with his contract.

trkaline
05-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Anybody read the comments on the articles on Baltimoreravens.com? They're good for a laugh. I just read someone comment that they would only let Clayton go for a very good corner, crazy...

Hines
05-05-2010, 10:58 AM
its so awesome, I have season tickets and I have been to the meadowlands twice, and Hinez field for the AFC title game. The intensity is unbelieveable. I will never forget the feeling going up on the bus for the AFC title game, but I am desperately trying to forget the results.

I would LOVE to go to a Steeler-Raven game at Heinz Field in the coming years while I am transitioning to move back to Pittsburgh. That'd be badass.

Ravens1991
05-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Anybody read the comments on the articles on Baltimoreravens.com? They're good for a laugh. I just read someone comment that they would only let Clayton go for a very good corner, crazy...

IDK if we could get a steaming bag of poop for clayton. I honestly dont think he should make the team unless a miracle occurs, why keep him at #4 when we can keep a young guy (Riley,SMith,Harper) who has potential and can play special teams.

I would LOVE to go to a Steeler-Raven game at Heinz Field in the coming years while I am transitioning to move back to Pittsburgh. That'd be badass.

They are intense, I had fun except for the final score, the city of pittsburgh is actually cool, like that mountain next to the stadium was real nice. I had real good seats right next to the water as well. I still get nightmares of hearing that Daren Stone penalty though.

Hines
05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
IDK if we could get a steaming bag of poop for clayton. I honestly dont think he should make the team unless a miracle occurs, why keep him at #4 when we can keep a young guy (Riley,SMith,Harper) who has potential and can play special teams.

They are intense, I had fun except for the final score, the city of pittsburgh is actually cool, like that mountain next to the stadium was real nice. I had real good seats right next to the water as well. I still get nightmares of hearing that Daren Stone penalty though.

Yeah Pittsburgh gets a bad rap for being old and run down, but it's one of the most beautiful cities I have seen. Mt Washington is beautiful as well.

trkaline
05-05-2010, 01:04 PM

That's why both him and Williams should go, neither contribute to special teams, and neither contribute enough to the WR position to warrent a roster spot over ANY of our young WR's.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM

yeah, I think Clayton being cut is becoming more and more likely. Not because the coaches think he sucks, its a financial reason. Obviously he'd be a backup with the additions of Mason, Boldin and Stallworth. Why pay him average starter money to sit on the bench and be a backup? Same applies for Demetrius Williams.

There are currently nine wide receivers on Baltimore’s roster. And that’s not even counting restricted free agent Mark Clayton who is still expected to sign his tender.

When the time comes for the Ravens to trim the team down to a 53-man roster – a requirement that is still months away, but will eventually be a reality – one or more of those receivers will likely find themselves as the odd man out.

Jamison Hensely of the Baltimore Sun reported that there is a “strong chance” that either Mark Clayton or Demetrius Williams won’t make the final cutdown. Hensely even goes as far as to say that both receivers could be released.

Why cut two of last year’s top receivers over five other backups still on the roster? Hensley says it’s because both Clayton and Williams would be making big-money for backups, but neither of them plays on special teams.

“The Ravens are making a risky move if they are keeping Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams around for insurance at wide receiver,” Hensley said.

“If Clayton and Williams sustain major injuries during offseason camps or training camp — and both have regularly battled injuries during their NFL careers — the Ravens are on the hook for their salaries. Clayton is scheduled to earn $2.2 million, and Williams will make $1.176 million.”

Like Hensley says, a fourth spot could be given to the top special teams contributor, perhaps David Reed or Marcus Smith.

But who knows? A lot could change between now and those final roster cuts.

Remember, for the first game of the season last year, there were four receivers listed on the roster. But, by the last game (divisional playoff) the Ravens had six receivers. So depending on the coaches’ assessments, there is flexibility and maneuvering with the number of players for each position.

Needless to say, it will be interesting to see how the position unfolds over the next several months

I wouldn't mind cutting them both and just keeping David Reed and Marcus Smith. It's time for some different bodies at the WR position, Clayton and Williams have had there chance, let these young guys have a shot.

Ravens1991
05-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree, the thing is I really never felt Dwill got a full chance, he just got spurts. I think he could be a nice #4 but I doubt it will be in baltimore.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I agree, the thing is I really never felt Dwill got a full chance, he just got spurts. I think he could be a nice #4 but I doubt it will be in baltimore.

yeah, I feel the same about Williams, but if the coaching staff hates him that much, then there must be something we don't know about him. No matter the case though, I do think it's time to move on.

Marcus Smith
Eron Riley
David Reed
Justin Harper

all these guys need to be given a shot, let these old useless vets like Clayton and D-will go, they aren't worth what we owe em to be a #4 or #5 guy on depth chart and NOT play special teams.

Ravens1991
05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I would have rather had Dwill starting over Clayton, Dwill got open and Flacco actually targeted him when he was on the field, something he never did w/ Clayton.

But my prediction is Clayton makes the team, and Smith and Reed do. I predict we have 6 WRs.

BmoreBlackByrdz
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM
I would have rather had Dwill starting over Clayton, Dwill got open and Flacco actually targeted him when he was on the field, something he never did w/ Clayton.

But my prediction is Clayton makes the team, and Smith and Reed do. I predict we have 6 WRs.

why would we keep Clayton? He'd be pretty damn expensive for a 4th string wide receiver?

why not save money, cut him, and give a younger guy an opportunity, hell or even give D-Will his job, he's a million cheaper (I think) and like you said, in the limited playing time he had, Flacco did look his way.