PDA

View Full Version : Where's the love for Everson Griffen's 40?

Jericho@SC
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Why he's not a first rounder in Scott's mock is beyond me. Is anyone not impressed by a 4.66 time from a 270 lb lineman anymore?

As a comparison, Sergio Kindle ran a 4.71 while being 20 lbs lighter. Griffen has Shawn Merriman kind of measurables and should be picked in the same range in the draft. He's bigger and faster than Graham and is built more compact than Dunlap while having a better motor.

eagles6606
03-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I like Griffin a lot and I suspect Scott will include him in the nest mock draft. They guy is big, fast, and has a good motor, He can play 4-3 DE and probobally 3-4 OLB. Personally, I have him rated higher than Dunlap and Piere-Paul and as a mist 1st round pick.

superman
03-07-2010, 01:40 PM
def going first round. maybe as high as fins at 12.

superman8456
03-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Becuz Teh Jppzzzz Is Teh Sexxxx!!! !1! Jppzz Can Doz Backflippzzzz!!!!!!!!!

Babylon
03-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Why he's not a first rounder in Scott's mock is beyond me. Is anyone not impressed by a 4.66 time from a 270 lb lineman anymore?

As a comparison, Sergio Kindle ran a 4.71 while being 20 lbs lighter. Griffen has Shawn Merriman kind of measurables and should be picked in the same range in the draft. He's bigger and faster than Graham and is built more compact than Dunlap while having a better motor.

Probably because some touted him at 4.5, i'm a fan of his though and if Seattle goes to a 3-4, which i've predicted for some time, i wouldnt mind them pulling the trigger on Griffen. Realistically he probably goes 20s-30s.

ThePudge
03-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Apparently he kind of tanked in his interviews. I'd still expect him between 17 and 26. I don't but the Top 15 talk and I don't think is going invest a pick quite that high on the Trojan product.

bigfreak314
03-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Yea I didn't see him making a lot of plays on the few USC games I got a chance to watch. I believe Mel Kiper's only knock was that he doesn't always play to his measurables. I personally don't know b/c I didn't see enough games.

FUNBUNCHER
03-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Griffen will be a super steal!!!

He reminds me a lot of Orakpo/Merriman with total scheme diversity;34 OLB, 43 DE/or OLB.

He's much more fluid and athletic than most draftniks give him credit for. He should go 1st round.

bigfreak314
03-07-2010, 02:09 PM
def going first round. maybe as high as fins at 12.

That would be scary.

bigfreak314
03-07-2010, 02:11 PM
What are the knocks on the guy? Was he another Mauluga off the field?

Boston_george
03-07-2010, 02:17 PM
I want the Patriots to draft him.

benchod
03-07-2010, 02:24 PM

He's always had everything you physically want in a DE, but he was inconsistent. He only seemed to show that he had a motor this year, he was getting by on pure physical talent along before finally getting it this year.

wicket
03-07-2010, 02:35 PM
id think he would be picked up by the saints if he is still around cuz charles grant got cuz, however with the jags bringing in kampman the saints might actually have a choice of DEnds (hopefully)

A Perfect Score
03-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Im a big fan of Everson Griffen, wouldnt be at all perturbed if the Ravens took him at 25. I think hes gunna be a stud in a 3-4 at the next level, although it wouldnt shock me to see a 4-3 team like the Falcons take him and play him at the weakside end position. Hes got top notch measurables and skills, just has to put it all together at this point. I like him almost as much and Kindle and Hughes as a 3-4 OLB.

V.I.P
03-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I thought he stock was gonna soar after he ran his 40 also. I would mind getting him at the top of the second.

Complex
03-07-2010, 03:14 PM
USC DE in the NFL not good

FUNBUNCHER
03-07-2010, 03:21 PM
USC DE in the NFL not good

USC DEs with leukemia not good.

Griffen is gonna be the one.:cool:

thetedginnshow
03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Overrated piece of crap.

FUNBUNCHER
03-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Overrated piece of crap.

Laser, pinpoint analysis right there.
Guess I was wrong about Griff, cause you said he's a piece of crap.:rolleyes:

wicket
03-07-2010, 03:45 PM
USC DEs with leukemia not good.

Griffen is gonna be the one.:cool:

I hope you mean it in another way than im reading this

FUNBUNCHER
03-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Former USC DE Keneche Udeze was forced to retire from the NFL after being diagnosed with leukemia.

Griffen is going to be 'the one'; man, that's just Matrix talk!!!

Saints-Tigers
03-07-2010, 05:17 PM
He's better and more talented than jpp. Height is so overrated in passrushers.

DiG
03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
is it true he was benched last year for cushing?

RealityCheck
03-07-2010, 05:53 PM
EG is a beast, I have him going to the Saints at 32 in my latest mock. Could go as high as Seattle at 14.

CashmoneyDrew
03-07-2010, 06:19 PM
is it true he was benched last year for cushing?

Clay Matthews I believe.

PossibleCabbage
03-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Clay Matthews I believe.

In retrospect "Not as good as Clay Matthews" is not a terribly damning piece of criticism.

MenOfTroy
03-07-2010, 07:15 PM
He's an underachiever, that's why. Five-star recruit who busted at the college level.

CPS21
03-07-2010, 07:26 PM
He didn't bust, but he only showed up when he wanted to (Against Ohio St./ND...) played lazy against lesser opponents.

Surprising too, because both he and Taylor Mays spend more time in the weight room "trying to be the best they can be" but don't always play that way on the field. It's ironic that someone could show the dedication to push themselves to the limit off the field, but take games off on the field.

wogitalia
03-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Surprising too, because both he and Taylor Mays spend more time in the weight room "trying to be the best they can be" but don't always play that way on the field. It's ironic that someone could show the dedication to push themselves to the limit off the field, but take games off on the field.

It isn't that uncommon. You get plenty of guys who want to be good at a contact sport and will do all the work but just don't like getting hit or banged up. I have a mate who I play Aussie Rules with. He is that guy that is the first to every pre-season session and last to leave, goes to literally every session and even looks good on the training track but put him out on the field and he just wont get hit and as a result his skills go to the shits and he just can't get the ball. You get them in every sport, guys who like the idea of playing more than actually being out there.

I learned long ago in sports, there are those who love contact, there are those who tolerate it and those who can't take it. The first two can succeed, the last need to be special to overcome it.

the_dark_knight
03-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm thinking as high as 18, as low as the late 20s. He's got elite talent, but when a guy takes as many plays off as he did in college it's bound to turn some teams off to him, but as we all know by now, it only takes 1 to pull the trigger and make the pick.

I'm not sure what I personally think, but, he was overhyped in college, but it seems coming into the pro level he's getting too little hype, which could set someone like him off to be an absolute terror. You never know what's going to motivate someone, and if an NFL coach can get in his head and get him amped to play football every single week, then this guy could really be special.

That being said, he's a high risk/reward pick.

ectuberider
03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
He was being hyped as one of the best DE prospects of all time coming out of high school and he in no way lived up to the hype. I believe he was the leading rusher in all of AZ his senior year, and was one of the most productive defensive players in the state as well.

Guys who have other worldly athletic ability but lack the stats to back it up really frighten me as NFL prospects, this guy has been told since he was 16 that he's going to be a star in the NFL and its probably gone to his head. The guys who are star players in the NFL play and train with a chip on their shoulder.

SickwithIt1010
03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
I believe whoever gets EG is going to get a steal in this draft, because he is a top 5 talent....just didnt play that way in college. If someone can light a fire under the guys ass, he will be a star.

PossibleCabbage
03-07-2010, 10:39 PM
If someone can light a fire under the guys ass, he will be a star.

This is true of a lot of guys (Michael Johnson anybody? Calais Campbell? Carlos Dunlap?), unforunately... a lot of guys just seem to have wet asses, so no such fire can be lit.

Be wary drafting a guy thinking "I can motivate him" when previous coaches were unable to do so.

SenorGato
03-07-2010, 11:08 PM
He could go before Morgan. I really like him as a player. He showed alot of versatility in college, and USC's been a good D school lately.

TACKLE
03-07-2010, 11:22 PM

The thing is, people expected Everson to work out great and factored that into their evaluation. He is a physical freak and that has been well documented since high school. So when he had that kind of workout, it didn't really change anyone's opinion. I loved Everson coming out of high school but he has been inconsistent throughout his whole career at SC. He had his best season this past year as a junior but still struggled with consistency. He would show flashes, then he would just disappear for a while.

You are making you whole evaluation based off high triangle numbers (height/weight/speed). Running a 4.6 at 270 does not make one a great pass rusher. Physically, he has the tools and every body knew that coming in. That's why he was being projected as a potential top 25 pick because of his physical tools and upside. He will test better than a lot of guys but that does not mean he should be taken in the Top 15. Not to get personal, but you're evaluation of his draft status has no value because it is based purely of combine numbers and has no reference to anything he's done on the field.

ectuberider
03-07-2010, 11:40 PM
and is built more compact than Dunlap

Why is being more compact a good thing for a pass rusher, you want your d-line to be stout at the point of attack but also long and tall. The length helps you knock down/deflect passes/disrupt passing lanes as well as keeps your body away from the offensive lineman, anybody who has ever played football knows that anytime you get near an offensive lineman they will grab your jersey and hold on till the cows come home.

bitonti
03-08-2010, 07:23 AM
He's an underachiever, that's why. Five-star recruit who busted at the college level.

griffen has 17 career sacks in 3 years (he was only a junior)

dunlap had 18, morgan had 17

these are not the stats of an underachiever or a bust

I think griffen is a serious threat to go at 8, 12, or 16

03-08-2010, 07:28 AM

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched.com/media/2009/09/viralathletes_griffen.jpg

Sorta..

<3

SRogers92
03-08-2010, 09:49 AM
He could go before Morgan. I really like him as a player. He showed alot of versatility in college, and USC's been a good D school lately.

Do not think that's even possible ... Morgan's workout #'s were terrific in his own right and he's a way more complete DE vs. the run/pass ... didn't Morgan have like 12.5 sacks this past season? Griffen had 7 ... for a supposed "freak" and a guy supposed to be an amazing pass rusher - those numbers are very pedestrian ...

I don't see him going in the top 20 ... he's a classic underachiever.

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.switched.com/media/2009/09/viralathletes_griffen.jpg

Sorta..

<3

LMAO, no SO CAL love hahaha

Ozzy
03-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Because he is a dog and had a really weak year, sure he might get picked in the 1st because of his athletic ability, but on the football field he is really underachieved!

Note V. Gholston #2? Yeah, and this is coming from a USC fan.........

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Because he is a dog and had a really weak year, sure he might get picked in the 1st because of his athletic ability, but on the football field he is really underachieved!

Note V. Gholston #2? Yeah, and this is coming from a USC fan.........

I made mention of V. Gholston on another thread. A lot of work out warriors getting over drafted and over paid b/c of being a complete freak of nature when it comes athletic ability. What makes Griffen different from Gholston if a team decides to put him in the same position?

Ozzy
03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
I made mention of V. Gholston on another thread. A lot of work out warriors getting over drafted and over paid b/c of being a complete freak of nature when it comes athletic ability. What makes Griffen different from Gholston if a team decides to put him in the same position?Exactly, nothing....Both did not really produce all that much in college, especially Griffen, he was good at times but honestly I do not like his build at all, he might be a player if he was taller but I do not like that 6-3 frame and the fact that he is not a bull rusher at all, speed rushers that short without natural football skills, I do not care for.

killxswitch
03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Exactly, nothing....Both did not really produce all that much in college, especially Griffen, he was good at times but honestly I do not like his build at all, he might be a player if he was taller but I do not like that 6-3 frame and the fact that he is not a bull rusher at all, speed rushers that short without natural football skills, I do not care for.

Gholston is different in that he got 7.5 sacks and 18 TFL as a soph, then 14.5 sacks and 14.5 TFL as a junior. He started for 2 years so didn't have a huge body of work but what he did have was impressive. Which is what makes him such a disappointment in the NFL. At least with others you could point out that so-and-so was an athletic freak but he never produced. You can't really say that about Gholston.

Supporting Caste
03-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Gholston did produce. Let's not perpetuate the myth that he only worked out well.

bitonti
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Gholston did produce. Let's not perpetuate the myth that he only worked out well.

so did griffen. he got 17 sacks in 3 years that's not chopped liver.

killxswitch
03-09-2010, 07:32 AM
so did griffen. he got 17 sacks in 3 years that's not chopped liver.

It's ok but it's hardly elite-level production. Compare his 84 tackles, 18 sacks, and 21 TFL in 37 games to Gholston's 84 tackles, 22 sacks, and 33.5 TFL in 26 games.

bitonti
03-09-2010, 07:42 AM
It's ok but it's hardly elite-level production.

Derrick Morgan had the same amount of sacks, is he elite? i have them rated similarly... between picks 7-15 somewhere

killxswitch
03-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Derrick Morgan had the same amount of sacks, is he elite? i have them rated similarly... between picks 7-15 somewhere

I do see some similarities but I like Morgan more. Their total production was similar but Morgan made strides each year as a player. Before his junior year the rest of the starting GA Tech DL got drafted, so he had a big opportunity to take responsibility and be the playmaker on that line. And he stepped up big time, earning ACC DPOY with 55 tackles, 18.5 TFL, and 12.5 sacks.

Griffen did not improve his production every season. In fact in his first 2 seasons he was a starter and got benched a few games in. Then when so many USC defensive starters were drafted last season he had the opportunity to step up and be the man. He responded with a really good year, but it was not as good as Morgan's.

And as far as I know Morgan doesn't have the questions about his work ethic and attitude that Griffen does. Morgan also did not lose his starting spot two years in a row. This might be oversimplifying it but it seems like Griffen had to wait for all the really good USC players to get drafted before he finally did anything.

It appears to me Griffen is probably the superior athlete, and might have a higher ceiling, but Morgan is the superior football player and is less of a risk. I think he will be drafted significantly higher than Griffen.

J-Mike88
03-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Clay Matthews I believe.

It's all about production, bottom line.
Clay produces, as the Packers found out.
Some guys may look good, like Larry English and Robert Ayers last year. But neither of those 2 specimens really got to QBs last year, like another specimen Vernon Ghost. A lot of people seem to think Everson might be one of those guys who looks like Tarzan, but will play like Jane.

Just watch game film of him compared to Graham, and Hughes and Kindle. Those guys are going non-stop, like the Energizer Bunny. I don't know if a guy can just find that switch in the NFL. It seems like it has to be in his DNA, and clearly Matthews has it.

I think Griffen should play 4-3 DE a la a Ray Edwards for Minnesota.
Better chance to succeed that him standing up at OLB, IMO.

the_dark_knight
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
It's all about production, bottom line.
Clay produces, as the Packers found out.
Some guys may look good, like Larry English and Robert Ayers last year. But neither of those 2 specimens really got to QBs last year, like another specimen Vernon Ghost. A lot of people seem to think Everson might be one of those guys who looks like Tarzan, but will play like Jane.

Just watch game film of him compared to Graham, and Hughes and Kindle. Those guys are going non-stop, like the Energizer Bunny. I don't know if a guy can just find that switch in the NFL. It seems like it has to be in his DNA, and clearly Matthews has it.

I think Griffen should play 4-3 DE a la a Ray Edwards for Minnesota.
Better chance to succeed that him standing up at OLB, IMO.

Personally I think English was massively ovrraterd as a pro prospect. With that being said there are a lot of teams trying to fit square pegs into round holes by taking ends with elite first steps and speed and standing them up forcing them into a scheme they're not made for.

Griffen if asked to move into the 3-4 would likely not be as successful as utilizing hos strengths from the 4-3 position. He's got a lot of potential and some coach out there has the ego to draft him and try to fix him.