PDA

View Full Version : Seahawks Draft

Caulibflower
03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm not really a Seahawks fan at this point, but I used to be. I was never quite a fan of Matt Hasselbeck OR Shaun "I need a gaping hole" Alexander (We miss you, Steve Hutchison), so this draft is an opportunity for me to get re-interested in my hometown team. Two high first-round picks, and three in the top 40 is fun to watch with any team.

Anyways.

I was thinking I'd just post who I'd like them to take with each of their picks (As of this posting, I haven't seen that they've traded for Brandon Marshall).

1st Pick (6th overall): an OT. I like Okung and Williams the best, I think.

2nd Pick (14th overall): I see a lot of people giving them Spiller here, but I think there's a chance Jahvid Best could be available with their pick at the top of the second. Watching their tapes, and looking at their measurables, they're almost identical-looking. Spiller seems to get faster as the field gets longer though, if you know what I mean; I've seen Best get caught a couple of times. If they don't take Spiller, and assuming that they took a tackle with their first pick/there is no tackle here worthy of the pick, I'd have them take Taylor Mays or perhaps Haden to strengthen the secondary.

2nd-rounder: Best, if they didn't take Spiller. I'd actually be kind of excited about them taking Gerhart with their second rounder, and you know Pete Carroll will probably have a high opinion of him. Ideally they can trade a second-rounder to Denver for Brandon Marshall, which I think seems about right if Baltimore can get Anquan Boldin for a 3rd and 4th.

And then next year they sell everything that isn't bolted down to get Jake Locker.

What do you guys think?

golota
03-07-2010, 07:31 PM
At the combine, Pete C. mentioned that he is looking to make the Hawks a PHYSICAL running team. that may mean he could go for a big back.

MikeTeel
03-07-2010, 08:26 PM
At the combine, Pete C. mentioned that he is looking to make the Hawks a PHYSICAL running team. that may mean he could go for a big back.

Which is why Spillers name is showing up much less frequently in mocks these days. Someone like Matthews or Dwyer in the 2nd, or Tate, Blount or Gerhart in the 4th (I don't think Gerhart or Tate will be there, but if they are we have to jump on it and it is a slight possibility). It sucks because we don't have a 3rd rounder and that's where I think its best to go RB. I'd love Matthews in the second, he's not a power runner per say but he isn't a puss either.

Morton
03-07-2010, 09:07 PM

He's gonna pry LenDale White from Tennessee.

Morton
03-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Which is why Spillers name is showing up much less frequently in mocks these days. Someone like Matthews or Dwyer in the 2nd, or Tate, Blount or Gerhart in the 4th (I don't think Gerhart or Tate will be there, but if they are we have to jump on it and it is a slight possibility). It sucks because we don't have a 3rd rounder and that's where I think its best to go RB. I'd love Matthews in the second, he's not a power runner per say but he isn't a puss either.

Gerhart isn't dropping past the bottom of the second round, and surely not out of the third round. If he does, teams are stupid.

CashmoneyDrew
03-07-2010, 09:20 PM
They can have him for a third. :)

KCDizz
03-07-2010, 09:22 PM

they dont have a third. Ryan Matthews or Jahvid Best in the 2nd would be ideal. Id prefer eric berry at 6 and Williams at 14. or possibly dez bryant at 14 and an OT at 40

bigfreak314
03-07-2010, 09:32 PM
They're gonna need a QB of the future maybe at the #14 pick.

KCDizz
03-07-2010, 09:37 PM
They're gonna need a QB of the future maybe at the #14 pick.

tebow is working out for the sehawks.... hope this is just boredom

LetsGoGiants!
03-07-2010, 09:40 PM
It would be nice for the Seahawk fans to get Locker next year as their Franchise QB.

MikeTeel
03-07-2010, 09:42 PM
Gerhart isn't dropping past the bottom of the second round, and surely not out of the third round. If he does, teams are stupid.

Im harder on Gerhart than most. But you're probably right.

They don't have one.

Caulibflower
03-07-2010, 10:50 PM
If Carroll wants to go with a power running game, I'd much rather have Gerhart than Dwyer. I'm not really sold on Ryan Matthews yet....someone show me the last running back that tore up the WAC and is making it big in the NFL? The only player I can even think of from the WAC is Ryan Moats, player of the year in '04, and....I wouldn't spend a 2nd on him in retrospect. More importantly, which DEFENSIVE players have come from the WAC? According to WACsports.com, there are only 3 WAC linebackers in the NFL right now, and you haven't heard of any of them. I just can't get excited about Ryan Matthews. I really like Gerhart...but I still somehow think the 40th pick might be too high... It's just that he definitely WONT be there by the time the 'hawks pick again.

KCDizz
03-08-2010, 10:16 AM
i agree with gerhart>dwyer. but the fact you dont like matthews because of no RBs coming out of the WAC have done exceptional is kind of amusing. Whens the last time standford had a top notch rb? Mathews is the most complete back that be an every down back.

Babylon
03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
tebow is working out for the sehawks.... hope this is just boredom

On his part or their part?

As for the Hawks draft i'd grab Berry or McCoy if they were to fall otherwise it would be Bulaga/Mays/Gerhart. (picks 6,14,40)

Caulibflower
03-08-2010, 09:13 PM
i agree with gerhart>dwyer. but the fact you dont like matthews because of no RBs coming out of the WAC have done exceptional is kind of amusing. Whens the last time standford had a top notch rb? Mathews is the most complete back that be an every down back.

The fact that you are holding Stanford up to an entire conference is kind of amusing. How about I list a bunch of PAC-10 backs that are better than Ryan Moats?

Reggie Bush and LenDale White, Jerome Harrison, Marshawn Lynch, Maurice Jones-Drew, Steven Jackson, Jonathan Stewart... When's the last time Fresno State produced a top notch running back?

Mathews plays in a relatively weak conference, and Gerhart destroyed the PAC-10 defenses, which *may* have been the best in the country last year. I know, I know, the SEC is great, but the the WHOLE (minus WSU) PAC 10 was freakin' tough last year. That, and Gerhart's measurables are about as good as you can ask for in a power runner. I'd put money on him being a better pro than Matthews, provided they were given similar opportunities.

keylime_5
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I bet they try to get Clausen but if that fails then a tackle is a good pick. Bulaga maybe since Okung should be gone. Can't go wrong with Berry either. 14 should be a DE, either Morgan or Pierre-Paul

RWills
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
If Clausen and Okung is gone I think it would be between Pierre-Paul or Eric Berry, I doubt they go OT w/o Okung with Alex Gibbs aboard

XxXdragonXxX
03-08-2010, 10:00 PM
With the Seahawks trading Seneca Wallace to the Browns, QB in round 1 is almost a lock.

keylime_5
03-08-2010, 10:03 PM
If Clausen and Okung is gone I think it would be between Pierre-Paul or Eric Berry, I doubt they go OT w/o Okung with Alex Gibbs aboard

maybe. gibbs likes to take linemen later in the draft b/c ZBS guys can be had later, but the exception to that is left tackle. everyone needs a stud left tackle no matter what system you run or the style of players you like. Bulaga's no slouch either, I could see him going 5th KC if Okung is a top 4 pick.

With the Seahawks trading Seneca Wallace to the Browns, QB in round 1 is almost a lock.

unless of course Clausen and Bradford go the Washington and St.Louis.

XxXdragonXxX
03-08-2010, 10:08 PM
unless of course Clausen and Bradford go the Washington and St.Louis.

Yep....then we're screwed when Hasselbeck gets hurt.

It occurs to me that this trade should have happened on draft day when pick #6 rolls around and we've got our QB.

frubulubu
03-08-2010, 10:16 PM

I could see this happening, great observation.

gpngc
03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
It looks to me like the Seahawks #6 pick will be whoever the Skins don't take at #4 (Okung or Clausen).

The wild cards are:
-The Rams don't take Bradford (in which case he either goes to WAS at #4 and SEA chooses from Okung/Clausen OR Bradford falls to #6 - no-brainer probably)
-The Lions take Okung (would shake everything up)

At #14 it's anyone's guess.

gpngc
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
It's just so sad how much help this team needs.

They'd be in such better shape if they went with Sanchez like they should have last year.

Cicero
03-08-2010, 11:10 PM
It's just so sad how much help this team needs.

They'd be in such better shape if they went with Sanchez like they should have last year.

We would be better of if we went anywhere besides OLB really lol. Damn you TR.

FrankGore
03-09-2010, 12:31 AM
The fact that you are holding Stanford up to an entire conference is kind of amusing. How about I list a bunch of PAC-10 backs that are better than Ryan Moats?

Reggie Bush and LenDale White, Jerome Harrison, Marshawn Lynch, Maurice Jones-Drew, Steven Jackson, Jonathan Stewart... When's the last time Fresno State produced a top notch running back?

Mathews plays in a relatively weak conference, and Gerhart destroyed the PAC-10 defenses, which *may* have been the best in the country last year. I know, I know, the SEC is great, but the the WHOLE (minus WSU) PAC 10 was freakin' tough last year. That, and Gerhart's measurables are about as good as you can ask for in a power runner. I'd put money on him being a better pro than Matthews, provided they were given similar opportunities.

Why does he have to follow some sort of rule that the WAC/Fresno State can't put out good RBs? Matthews is on an entirely different level from the guys they've put out in recent years. He is a gamebreaker and he has been since high school, and tested better than expected athletically. He didn't just do well against the WAC, he completely shredded it. I'd wager that he'd do just fine in the PAC-10.

All you really need to do is watch him. Arguing about trends and whatnot is not exactly empirical, the guy is a complete back with great vision, underrated speed and is very hard to bring down. He will be a #1 for some team.

Caulibflower
03-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Why does he have to follow some sort of rule that the WAC/Fresno State can't put out good RBs? Matthews is on an entirely different level from the guys they've put out in recent years. He is a gamebreaker and he has been since high school, and tested better than expected athletically. He didn't just do well against the WAC, he completely shredded it. I'd wager that he'd do just fine in the PAC-10.

All you really need to do is watch him. Arguing about trends and whatnot is not exactly empirical, the guy is a complete back with great vision, underrated speed and is very hard to bring down. He will be a #1 for some team.

I've watched a number of videos of Ryan Matthews, and I never said anything like, "The WAC cannot produce a good running back." That would be kind of silly. Sure, he shredded those WAC defenses, and sure he tested well at the combine....but we know that testing well at the combine doesn't ensure success, and like I said before, Ryan Moats was the WAC player of the year a few years ago (As in, HE tore it up) and that hasn't translated into substantial NFL success. And then I pointed out that the PAC 10 has a number of very good running backs in the NFL right now, and that Gerhart was the best of the PAC 10 last year. And your last paragraph could just as easily be applied to Gerhart. Except more emphasis on the "very hard to bring down" part.

Babylon
03-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Yep....then we're screwed when Hasselbeck gets hurt.

It occurs to me that this trade should have happened on draft day when pick #6 rolls around and we've got our QB.

Not sure that Seneca Wallace has any impact on what they're doing there. Mike Teel can lose games if need be just like Wallace did.

FrankGore
03-09-2010, 02:08 AM
I've watched a number of videos of Ryan Matthews, and I never said anything like, "The WAC cannot produce a good running back." That would be kind of silly. Sure, he shredded those WAC defenses, and sure he tested well at the combine....but we know that testing well at the combine doesn't ensure success, and like I said before, Ryan Moats was the WAC player of the year a few years ago (As in, HE tore it up) and that hasn't translated into substantial NFL success. And then I pointed out that the PAC 10 has a number of very good running backs in the NFL right now, and that Gerhart was the best of the PAC 10 last year. And your last paragraph could just as easily be applied to Gerhart. Except more emphasis on the "very hard to bring down" part.

My point is, what does Moats have in common as a player with Matthews? These are really general comparisons you're making to downgrade Matthews. There isn't much to compare other than they played in the same conference and both produced at a high level.

Caulibflower
03-09-2010, 02:29 AM
My point is, what does Moats have in common as a player with Matthews? These are really general comparisons you're making to downgrade Matthews. There isn't much to compare other than they played in the same conference and both produced at a high level.

The only point I was trying to make with Moats is that success in the WAC hasn't carried over to the NFL. That's all. And I'm not really even trying to downgrade Matthews; I'm just saying that Gerhart consistently played against better defenses.

It's like this:

Gerhart: Played against very good defenses, and destroyed them.

Matthews: Played against mediocre defenses, and destroyed them.

That's the difference. Not anything personally against Matthews. I'm not even comparing Ryan Moats to Matthews as a similar player. People are talking about how much Matthews dominated in the WAC, and Ryan Moats did, too. Their junior year stats are basically identical:

Moats: 288 1774 6.2 83long 18TDs 15Rec 116 7.7 26 1

Matthews: 276 1808 6.6 77long 19TDs 11Rec 122 11.1 27 0

PLUS Moats had 1300 as a sophomore, whereas Ryan Matthews only really came on this year. Moats had a better career. All I'm saying is that there's a lot to think about with Ryan Matthews, and the strength of his conference is a big one. I'm not saying he'll be a bad player; he's obviously a great athlete. I'm just not jumping on that bandwagon.