PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas

PACKmanN
03-08-2010, 08:12 AM
According to observers at Athletes Performance, where Thomas has been training, the 6-foot-3, 227-pound receiver had been turning in sensational workouts in preparation for the combine. He recently ran a verified 4.38 in the 40, which was recorded on film and will be sent to every team in the league, France told SI.com.

Does this push him over Benn and Tate?

DiG
03-08-2010, 08:15 AM
if he runs anything under a 4.45 than i cant see how he wouldnt move ahead of benn. he and tate would probably be interchangeable depending on the type of wr the team needs. they are very different prospects.

V.I.P
03-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Acco

Does this push him over Benn and Tate?

Hopefully, so Tate can fall to the Buccaneers at pick #35. :D

bigbluedefense
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm a huge Thomas fan. I think if he goes to the right program, he's going to be a beast.

He needs to work on his craft though, so he won't be a polished product coming in, but give this guy 2 years in a good program to work on his game, and he's going to be a monster.

I love him as a prospect.

ThePudge
03-08-2010, 08:53 AM
This isn't a particularly tough receiving class to stand out in and if verified, a 4.38 at 224 or 227 would boost him to the #2 WR spot on my board. Keep an eye on the Bengals when thinking about Thomas as he brings the size, vertical presence & ability as a run blocker that Cincy needs. He's the top fit for the team aside from Dez Bryant and I expect to see a lot of interest coming from Marvin Lewis & Co.

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Didn't he break his foot? Or is he fully recovered.

On another note I think the kid is a project well worth the wait. Who wouldnt want a 6'3 220+ fast WR

ThePudge
03-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Didn't he break his foot? Or is he fully recovered.

On another note I think the kid is a project well worth the wait. Who wouldnt want a 6'3 220+ fast WR

He broke his foot, the 40 described here happened while he was training for the Combine. He should be ready for camp, but he's one of those guys that may take the 3 years typical of a Wide Receiver's development.

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 11:02 AM
Honestly even though I believe the bucs will take a WR with one of thier 2nd round picks but if this guy is availible in the 3rd round I don't see how they can not draft the guy anyway and let him wait in the shadows and you grab a kid like WR Damien Williams from USC to bring a bit of instant success because he played in a pro style offense in Southern Cal. Even with that WRs still have to go thru a transition period adjusting to the speed of the game.

Maybe I'm being greedy but I hope a lot of teams shy away from Thomas and he slides, just from medical reasons and the fact GT didnt have a real passing tree in the triple option offense

ElectricEye
03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Love the guy, would like to see the video. Just a beastly athlete, big, strong, powerful, fast. He doesn't have a normal route tree down, so that will be a challenge for him, but he's quick enough to get out of his breaks so it shouldn't be an issue a few years down the line. Favorite receiver in this draft class.

Babylon
03-08-2010, 11:33 AM
I personally didnt think he was as fast as Dwyer so it would have been interesting to see him run at the combine, in a way you're almost better off not running there if you arent 100%.

ElectricEye
03-08-2010, 11:35 AM
I personally didnt think he was as fast as Dwyer so it would have been interesting to see him run at the combine, in a way you're almost better off not running there if you arent 100%.

He's defiantly not a 4.6 guy. I can tell you that much with a lot of certainty.

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2010, 11:39 AM
If you watched GT football the last couple of years, it's clear that Thomas is NOT a 4.3-4.4 WR, and I don't really care what 40 time he runs in predraft training.

So because Thomas and his people 'claimed' he ran a 4.38 and they digitally recorded it, somehow that's a verifiable time??

That's called attempting to play NFL scouts for suckers.

If Thomas is that fast, hold a private workout at GTech, and run a sub 4.45 with scouts allowed to record their own times.

Calvin Johnson's reps were saying he was running low 4.3s during predraft training, then preceded to back up those times at the combine.

Thomas is a good WR, but I doubt he sneaks into the 1st round.

Supporting Caste
03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't know. Thomas isn't all that explosive but his 40-yard speed might be pretty nuts. That one play where he had a straight line to run after a screen pass he was blazing.

I wouldn't take him until the 2nd, though.

brasho
03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Matt Jones ran a 4.38 40 at the combine in 05... he also never played up to it.

Babylon
03-08-2010, 12:56 PM
He's defiantly not a 4.6 guy. I can tell you that much with a lot of certainty.

I didnt think Dwyer was either, would guess low 4.5 for Thomas.

Clarkw267
03-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Thomas is a late 1st / early 2nd round talent. The foot injury was unfortunate, but there's no doubt the guy was fast. All you have to do was go look at him on tape. Teams would know he was their only viable receiving threat, and that he was going to run mostly vertical routes, and he still got behind the defense an awful lot.

Whoever said he doesn't look as fast as Dwyer, please go back and watch again. Guy can run.

bitonti
03-08-2010, 01:52 PM
d thomas isn't crabtree... he doesn't have the production or film to point to... he needed a good workout and isn't gonna show it... a 4.38 on tape means nothing. all that matters is what happens at combines and pro day. If he does nothing that hurts him... not the end of the world to be a 2nd or 3rd rounder instead of a 1st rounder.

bucfan12
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
This guy is very talented. I am not sure I am sold on the 4.38 time, but I do think he would have run in the 4.4- 4.5 range, which is excellent. The only thing that is going to keep him out of round 1 is his questionable route running. That can be coached up.

I can see the Bucs taking him at #35 overall in the 2nd round simply because this guy is a beast. He has good hands, strong physical WR who can get seperation. He also goes up and fights for the ball to make the catch, something Antonio Bryant never did for the Bucs.

Babylon
03-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Thomas is a late 1st / early 2nd round talent. The foot injury was unfortunate, but there's no doubt the guy was fast. All you have to do was go look at him on tape. Teams would know he was their only viable receiving threat, and that he was going to run mostly vertical routes, and he still got behind the defense an awful lot.

Whoever said he doesn't look as fast as Dwyer, please go back and watch again. Guy can run.

That would be me. I like the guy, like the Anquan Boldin comparison i've seen,
but like Boldin i question the speed.

PACKmanN
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
wow, people think route running can be easily thought, but when has this actually worked? Ted Ginn still can't run routes, even though everyone thought he would have mastered that by now(during the draft process.)

Finz99
03-08-2010, 02:27 PM
wow, people think route running can be easily thought, but when has this actually worked? Ted Ginn still can't run routes, even though everyone thought he would have mastered that by now(during the draft process.)

He's come along in route running. He just can't catch a pass for the life of him.

bigbluedefense
03-08-2010, 02:48 PM

oh hai guyz

Hi Percy. Hi Mac.

Grizzlegom
03-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I am not as high on Thomas as a lot of people around here. I think he is more of a third round guy at best after the injury. He won't be able to run or workout and that hurts him because unlike Crabtree he doesn't have amazing tape to look at. My favorite thing about him is his willingness to get after people and block in the run game but like everyone else, I question his route running ability. He has also dropped a few balls and to me his hands are a bit of a concern. I want my first and second round picks to be able to come in and start right away (unless its a QB then they have a year or two to get acclimated) and Thomas is a classic example of a WR that is going to need a good three years to REALLY make an impact at anything other than blocking. He's another one of those guys that are high on potential and will likely be over-drafted in my opinion.

GoRavens
03-08-2010, 03:42 PM
There's no question he's blessed with tremendous athleticism and unlimited potential, but his injury should hold him off until the late first/early second. With Baltimore at 25, I would be thrilled if he's a Raven.. I see him being the 5th or 6th receiver taken, but he might end up the best of the group in the NFL.
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/DThomas.jpg
http://sportretort.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/marshall.jpg
Brandon Marshall is a great comparison.

bigbluedefense
03-08-2010, 04:00 PM
Marshall is a good comparison. Marshall isn't as built and is a little quicker I think though. I liken him to Anquan Boldin personally.

My main concern for him is his hands. I think he needs to go to a good program to succeed. A structured team and system that will allow him to grow slowly.

If he's in a bad environment and rushed to develop, he has a strong chance of flopping. But if he can sit and learn slowly while developing his craft and working on his hands, I think he's going to be a baller.

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 04:13 PM
If he's in a bad environment and rushed to develop, he has a strong chance of flopping. But if he can sit and learn slowly while developing his craft and working on his hands, I think he's going to be a baller.

ALA Oakland Raiders?

bigbluedefense
03-08-2010, 04:33 PM
ALA Oakland Raiders?

Pretty much.

But not just them. Any team thats in desperate need of WR help that would throw him to the wolves and force him to be the guy right away. Any team that is in transition that could potentially change coaches after his rookie year, forcing him to learn a whole new system his sophomore year.

Any team with bad coaching really.

He needs to go to a program with good coaching, a stable organization that won't change on him and allow him to grow within the scheme over a course of 2 to 3 years, and a team that won't force him to be the man right away, that can groom him slowly and allow him to progress at a natural pace before handing him the keys to the flanker spot.

Clarkw267
03-09-2010, 07:50 PM

Looks plenty fast to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maf0y1s5i7Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1YuGhi1D4

That's not Duke either... The U and UGA top notch athletes.

hagy34
03-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Marshall is a good comparison. Marshall isn't as built and is a little quicker I think though. I liken him to Anquan Boldin personally.

My main concern for him is his hands. I think he needs to go to a good program to succeed. A structured team and system that will allow him to grow slowly.

I totally agree. I love Thomas as a prospect and think he could be an absolute stud at the next level. I think the environment really matters for a lot of young WR's because there is a lot of growth that needs to take place. I see Thomas going somewhere in early to mid 2nd round in April.

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2010, 07:58 PM

He's always reminded me of Q, pretty sure I'm not the only one who uses that comparison but I see alot of similiarities and have been a big fan of his for a long time.

I don't care how fast he is, low 4.5 is enough. What was Marshall's 40 time? Alot of these big, physical YAC WR's don't need the fastest 40 times, that's not their games. Does it make Colston or Marshall any worse off because they didn't run a 4.3? He's not a skinny speedy WR, I'd still have him above Tate and Benn just personally if he runs a low 4.5.

I agree he'll probably need development time though and he's a 2nd rounder for me still. Didn't run all the pro routes so that itself will need to take some time to improve, but I'm very confident in him being a #1 WR at the next level, not so much for Tate.

Bengalsrocket
03-09-2010, 08:25 PM
From what I've seen, Demaryius looks to be a bit taller and faster than Boldin. But both play a pretty physical game for receivers and I don't think it's a bad comparison.

Cicero
03-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Does any NFL player get compared to more than Anquan Boldin? I swear there's 3 "Anquan Boldin-like" prospects every year.

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Does any NFL player get compared to more than Anquan Boldin? I swear there's 3 "Anquan Boldin-like" prospects every year.

Who does he remind you of then? I bet whoever you think of won't be too far off. Though I don't really disagree with you on that front, but if you can come up with a better comparison of an NFL player that is nothing like Boldin I'd be all ears.

Cicero
03-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Who does he remind you of then? I bet whoever you think of won't be too far off. Though I don't really disagree with you on that front, but if you can come up with a better comparison of an NFL player that is nothing like Boldin I'd be all ears.

That wasn't so much a criticism of this comparison in particular but it seems like every receiver that is even the least bit physical gets compared to Boldin. If I had to pick someone to compare him to in the NFL I would say Sidney Rice.

J-Mike88
03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
ALA Oakland Raiders?
Is Thomas going to be as good as DHB?
I think he's better. Did Oakland reach WAY HIGH on DHB?
How high could they reach for DT?
Can you imagine?

Hey, whatever happened with that safety that Oakland reached on that most of us had never heard of, that Kiper just ripped them for.
I can't remember the guys name, so I don't know how well he's done.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey, whatever happened with that safety that Oakland reached on that most of us had never heard of, that Kiper just ripped them for.
I can't remember the guys name, so I don't know how well he's done.

Mike Mitchell (http://www.raiders.com/team/roster/Mike-Mitchell/716bc04f-62d6-46e6-88f4-66e6d5bac34c)

It's a bit of a mystery whether as to whether Mitchell is seen as the future of Oakland's free safety spot or not, but considering how they used him last year (mostly as a safety in the box who blitzed off the edge), I have no idea what they intend for the kid. I certainly wouldn't expect him to unseat Tyvon Branch anytime soon.

GoRavens
03-09-2010, 09:36 PM
not buying the Anquan comparison.
Aquan runs low to the ground, and will always deliver the truck.
Not to mention the size is off as well.
Thomas is a poor man's Calvin Johnson mixed with a poor man's Brandon Marshall.
Maybe that'll be a good thing

Bengalsrocket
03-09-2010, 09:53 PM
not buying the Anquan comparison.
Aquan runs low to the ground, and will always deliver the truck.
Not to mention the size is off as well.
Thomas is a poor man's Calvin Johnson mixed with a poor man's Brandon Marshall.
Maybe that'll be a good thing

I don't know if I would say "poor man's". He's just a more raw version of those guys. He certainly has enough potential, the problem is that is basically all he has going for him.

I'm not nitpicking, sorry, I just think poor man's is a bit harsh considering he has the potential to be an elite receiver just like those two.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
I still stick to him being like older TO.

But yeah I like him. He'd probably only succeed if he went somewhere like the Jets though. I don't think anywhere else.

BaLLiN
03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
you cant do anything if you cant catch.. alot of the time you cant learn to be sure handed, you either have it or not. He has shown that he can make tough catches but drops some of the easier balls.

Late 2nd round IMO

BaLLiN
03-09-2010, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=thetedginnshow;2060087]I still stick to him being like older TO.
QUOTE]

TO after the surgery, yes i agree.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2010, 10:04 PM
TO after the surgery, yes i agree.

Bay-Bay reminds me of Cowboys' TO when he got a little slower and a little more physical, and for not really ever having to run routes, I'm impressed by DT's ability in that regard.

But anyway, I really like him, but I'm always weary of guys that get hurt right before the draft. If you're giving up anything but a first though, I don't see why any team wouldn't want to take a flyer on him with his size, strength, physicality, and jump ball ability.

umphrey
03-09-2010, 10:10 PM
He recently ran a verified 4.38 in the 40, which was recorded on film and will be sent to every team in the league, France told SI.com.

That seems off...about the "verified tape". It would be so easy to cheat that - delete a few frames, increase the framerate a fraction a a frame/second, run 38 yards painted at 40. If there is a 3rd party in charge of the tape they better be protecting like it were made of gold. It's literally worth millions in draft money, if that's the case.

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2010, 10:13 PM
I don't know if I would say "poor man's". He's just a more raw version of those guys. He certainly has enough potential, the problem is that is basically all he has going for him.

I'm not nitpicking, sorry, I just think poor man's is a bit harsh considering he has the potential to be an elite receiver just like those two.

And not just that, but people forget what type of prospect Marshall was coming out. More then likely Thomas will probably be considered a better prospect with more potential, so I don't know why he should be considered a poor mans Marshall if anything.

Marshall was looked at like a 4th round prospect at best. People said he was way too slow, rounded off his routes and was at best an average route runner, had no burst, couldn't stretch the field, he had a laundry list of negatives compared to the obvious positives of size, strength. He was hardly the prospect Thomas is and as you said has just as much potential to be that good.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I'll say this, after re-visting tape I really have less concerns about his speed than before. I think he has similar speed as top prospect Dez Bryant has and if I had to guess a 40 time judging by tape I'd say sub 4.5 in the 4.47 range (which is incredible for a guy his size with his build.) Speaking of his build, at 6'3 1/4 224 with big 10 1/2" hands, he looks fantastic physically and would have likely competed for the title of workout warrior in Indy.

In a class desperate for someone to emerge as the #2 behind Bryant, I think Thomas did everything he could at Georgia Tech to put himself in that conversation. He's big, he's explosive, he's fast, he's strong, he's a great run blocker; but, he has a high development curve due to the offense he played in, a lack of foot quickness, and inexperience running a full route tree.

I think some questions about him (system/routes/health) will drop Thomas to the 2nd Round, but I expect a flurry of receivers to go in that Early 2nd area including Brandon LaFell, Mardy Gilyard, and even Benn/Tate. Ultimately, he could fall to the 50-65 range, but I think a team will bite on that franchise receiver potential. Definitely in the competition for 2nd receiver taken though and don't let yourself believe that necessarily has to be in the first round.

bigfreak314
03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
I'll say this, after re-visting tape I really have less concerns about his speed than before. I think he has similar speed as top prospect Dez Bryant has and if I had to guess a 40 time judging by tape I'd say sub 4.5 in the 4.47 range (which is incredible for a guy his size with his build.) Speaking of his build, at 6'3 1/4 224 with big 10 1/2" hands, he looks fantastic physically and would have likely competed for the title of workout warrior in Indy.

In a class desperate for someone to emerge as the #2 behind Bryant, I think Thomas did everything he could at Georgia Tech to put himself in that conversation. He's big, he's explosive, he's fast, he's strong, he's a great run blocker; but, he has a high development curve due to the offense he played in, a lack of foot quickness, and inexperience running a full route tree.

I think some questions about him (system/routes/health) will drop Thomas to the 2nd Round, but I expect a flurry of receivers to go in that Early 2nd area including Brandon LaFell, Mardy Gilyard, and even Benn/Tate. Ultimately, he could fall to the 50-65 range, but I think a team will bite on that franchise receiver potential. Definitely in the competition for 2nd receiver taken though and don't let yourself believe that necessarily has to be in the first round.

That has been the trend in recent years with teams reluctant to take a WR in the 1st round. I think that(probably hoping) he goes in the later part of the 2nd/early 3rd. That would be fair for a guy who is project at the WR position. Man I hope he goes to a good system, I would hate to see wasted talent

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 09:41 AM
That has been the trend in recent years with teams reluctant to take a WR in the 1st round. I think that(probably hoping) he goes in the later part of the 2nd/early 3rd. That would be fair for a guy who is project at the WR position. Man I hope he goes to a good system, I would hate to see wasted talent

I tend to agree, but when the receiver is 6'3 1/4 224 with sub 4.5 speed and excellent production I think he stands a chance of going much higher. Time will tell how interested in Bey Bey teams will be, but I expect him to be a part of an inevitable 2nd Round run on Wideouts.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Kirwan has a new mock with him going #21 to Cincy saying more and more people are telling him he belongs in the same class as Calvin Johnson and his stock is steadily improving. Not really sure I can take what he says too seriously since he has Bryant going after him to Dallas at #27, but interesting none the less.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Kirwan has a new mock with him going #21 to Cincy saying more and more people are telling him he belongs in the same class as Calvin Johnson and his stock is steadily improving. Not really sure I can take what he says too seriously since he has Bryant going after him to Dallas at #27, but interesting none the less.

Cincinnati's as good a fit as any for Thomas, though if they go that route in FA (Bryant, Owens, Marshall) they likely will look to address the defense/Gresham in the first. He fits what they're looking for as a big guy that can run & stretch the field; his ability as a run blocker fits perfectly in the Bengals power-running scheme. Thomas is more than likely the #2 receiver on Cincinnati's board now or by draft day.

Definitely a team-player connection to keep an eye on because, as I said, he fit's exactly the criteria they're looking for. Not sure whether they think he can contribute right away and that'll be a determining factor in whether the team looks at him in the first or tests their odds and put off Thomas until the 2nd. Of course, the latter is not one that looks entirely likely given the hype Thomas is starting to generate.

nicker
03-10-2010, 10:31 AM
I would say he's like TO... Same size, similar speed, I don't get the comparison's to Boldin myself...

ElectricEye
03-10-2010, 11:08 AM

I really like the way you brake things down man. All of that I agree with. He might even be faster than 4.47. If he has a full head of steam he can really, really move for a guy his size.

As far as the Boldin comparison, I'm pretty guilty of throwing it around. It's not perfect. It's more a body type comparison, but Thomas is actually a bit faster than Boldin. Not as much of a menace after the catch, but he's pretty good there too.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
I really like the way you brake things down man. All of that I agree with. He might even be faster than 4.47. If he has a full head of steam he can really, really move for a guy his size.

As far as the Boldin comparison, I'm pretty guilty of throwing it around. It's not perfect. It's more a body type comparison, but Thomas is actually a bit faster than Boldin. Not as much of a menace after the catch, but he's pretty good there too.

I think if you time him he might end up right around 4.4 flat, but I think his playing speed to me is fast (not ungodly) so 4.45-4.5 is where I'd rank his speed. I'd love to see him in agility drills as I'm still not sure as to the quickness of his feet, but alas, one is broken so we won't get that chance. I like his acceleration, he reaches his second gear fast and beats DBs 40 pounds lighter than him even when they have an angle.

I don't like the Boldin comparison because it's based solely on body type, Demaryius Thomas very rarely crosses the middle of the field where Anquan does so much damage. Thomas is more vertical and is the faster/more explosive receiver.

bigfreak314
03-10-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't like the Boldin comparison because it's based solely on body type, Demaryius Thomas very rarely crosses the middle of the field where Anquan does so much damage. Thomas is more vertical and is the faster/more explosive receiver.

Would that of been because GT does not really have a structured passing game/tree? I can't really fathom them running a lot of crossing routes especially when you have a kid thats faster than most corners already

BrabbitMcRabbit
03-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Beast. Easily a top 2 WR prospect in this class along with Bryant.

His size/speed/athleticism/production combination is off the charts. He's going to be a better pro than Tate/Williams/Gilyard/Benn/whoever.

Cicero
03-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Would that of been because GT does not really have a structured passing game/tree? I can't really fathom them running a lot of crossing routes especially when you have a kid thats faster than most corners already

Yes, that's exactly why. Basically all Paul Johnson had him run was go routes. You can't fault him for that. I was extremely disappointed we didn't get to see him workout at the combine because I really wanted to see how fast he got in and out of his cuts.