PDA

View Full Version : Sam Bradford will not work out at Oklahoma Pro Day

SloppyJoe
03-08-2010, 12:42 PM
i posted this in another thread, but to make sure everybody gets this news i started a new thread

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/08/bradford-wont-be-at-oklahomas-pro-day/

How much will this hurt his stock?
i still hope STL takes him at #1

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Mmm, appears that his shoulder is not quite 100%

He's not going to be the first pick, this close to the draft after missing nearly all of the '09 season and still his shoulder isn't right.

If he falls past the Skins, I don't know where he ends up.

YAYareaRB
03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
For further reference, it's BradforD.

Anyways this is gonna hurt him. He comes in with some questions so he must impress every chance he gets.

SloppyJoe
03-08-2010, 12:51 PM
For further reference, it's BradforD.

how can i edit the title?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
03-08-2010, 12:52 PM
lawlz if he goes in the 1st round. What a goofball coming out.

vidae
03-08-2010, 12:53 PM
He's going to work out for pro scouts on March 25th.

FrankGore
03-08-2010, 01:08 PM
He's still going to work out, just later and on his own. This doesn't change anything.

Shane P. Hallam
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
He's still going to work out, just later and on his own. This doesn't change anything.

Exactly. As long as he does private workouts, won't make much of a difference.

brasho
03-08-2010, 01:18 PM
He's said all along he wasn't working at this particular Pro Day.

CC.SD
03-08-2010, 01:20 PM
He can't believe people are still talking about him at #1 overall and doesn't want to jinx it.

Yah he will have a personal pro day and this won't matter one iota.

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Considering when he got hurt and the many months he's had to rehab a shoulder injury that was initially described as not that severe, personally I'd have reservations about taking him #1 overall.

YAYareaRB
03-08-2010, 01:40 PM
how can i edit the title?

I wouldn't worry about it. People still know who he is

descendency
03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Exactly. As long as he does private workouts, won't make much of a difference.

It'll just put way more emphasis on those private workouts, which is a bad idea in my opinion. One bad workout with the Rams and you could fall to the Redskins. Two bad workouts are unlikely, but that fall is like 10 million dollars.

bitonti
03-08-2010, 01:54 PM
so let's review

he missed a couple game with a shoulder.

he came back too soon from that shoulder and missed the rest of the season.

he missed the bowl game.

he missed the combine.

he missed his pro day.

did I 'miss' anything?

Oh but dont worry he's gonna work out in 2 weeks.

Really? im filing this under 'believe it when you see it' along with Bradford going #1. I'll believe it when i see it.

Geason Noceur
03-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I think this will hurt him if he fails to impress the Rams at a private workout. Most, if not all, 32 teams would show up at OU's Pro Day so everyone would get to see him. Maybe another team that was not interested might start to like him and take him based on value even if he's not an immediate necessity. But if he only has a few private workouts that automatically reduces his chances to get drafted as high as possible if the Rams don't take him.

Also, if he “passed with flying colors,” then what's the problem with working out at OU's Pro Day? Sounds like someone is not 100%.

ThePudge
03-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Mmm, appears that his shoulder is not quite 100%

He's not going to be the first pick, this close to the draft after missing nearly all of the '09 season and still his shoulder isn't right.

If he falls past the Skins, I don't know where he ends up.

He'll be the first pick. This doesn't affect his stock at all.

yourfavestoner
03-08-2010, 06:48 PM
I think this will hurt him if he fails to impress the Rams at a private workout. Most, if not all, 32 teams would show up at OU's Pro Day so everyone would get to see him. Maybe another team that was not interested might start to like him and take him based on value even if he's not an immediate necessity. But if he only has a few private workouts that automatically reduces his chances to get drafted as high as possible if the Rams don't take him.

Also, if he “passed with flying colors,” then what's the problem with working out at OU's Pro Day? Sounds like someone is not 100%.

I really don't see how that's relevant since there's only a handful of teams in the running for him anyways.

LonghornsLegend
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Considering when he got hurt and the many months he's had to rehab a shoulder injury that was initially described as not that severe, personally I'd have reservations about taking him #1 overall.

It's not like he has to play a football game the week after the draft ya know? Why would you not draft a guy who you think can be a franchise QB for the next 12 years because his arm may or may not be 100% yet? He doesn't even have to play year 1.

I've said all along that STL should draft him and sit him for a year like Carson Palmer, he can still rehab his shoulder as well as continually gain weight, improve arm strength and shoulder strength, learn the system. Nobody says he has to be thrown out there right away.

Personally I feel like even if he is at 100% if he started too soon and was hit and landed on that shoulder he could be in the same situation, if I remember correctly he was healthy vs Texas but the right hit can do that to you. An extra year to not take contact and get stronger would be the best investment to make with him, if he re-injures that shoulder as a rookie he might be done.

Geason Noceur
03-08-2010, 10:34 PM
I really don't see how that's relevant since there's only a handful of teams in the running for him anyways.

That's why I said if he fails to impress that handful of teams that he only works out for? As the saying goes, "The more the merrier." What if he attended the Pro Day, and one of the team that wasn't expected to draft a QB likes him and decides to draft him. You always try to maximize the number of teams that might want to draft you, not the other way around.

bitonti
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
not all that concerned that his arm isn't healed... things do heal... what concerns me is, what if it happens again? is he gonna start throwing lefty?

all of my critique is in the context of being #1 overall pick... Sam Bradford at 9 to Buffalo is very good value. even the skins wouldn't have to leave Suh on the board to take Bradford.

Babylon
03-09-2010, 04:29 PM
not all that concerned that his arm isn't healed... things do heal... what concerns me is, what if it happens again? is he gonna start throwing lefty?

all of my critique is in the context of being #1 overall pick... Sam Bradford at 9 to Buffalo is very good value. even the skins wouldn't have to leave Suh on the board to take Bradford.

I'm sort of in this camp. I think the guy can be good but right at the top to me is risky for teams that cant afford a mistake.

It's interesting to see guys like Bradford, Decker, Demaryius Thomas see their stock stay the same or go up while being hurt and not working out. I call it my all teflon team.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
God I hope he's the first pick.

Saints-Tigers
03-09-2010, 06:12 PM
He's a mistake as the first pick, workouts or not. But lol even more now.

adschofield
03-09-2010, 06:16 PM
What a huge gaping vagina...

Flyboy
03-10-2010, 12:10 AM
He's a mistake as the first pick, workouts or not. But lol even more now.

My thoughts exactly. I'd take Jimmy Clausen easily over Bradford. And, now I feel dirty for even typing that.

49erNation85
03-10-2010, 01:45 AM
Tebow > Bradford. Bradford should just go back OKA play one more year in college to really prove him self .

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2010, 01:53 AM
My thoughts exactly. I'd take Jimmy Clausen easily over Bradford. And, now I feel dirty for even typing that.

Don't feel dirty, Clausen is better now, and has more upside, and less concerns.

Addict
03-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Tebow > Bradford. Bradford should just go back OKA play one more year in college to really prove him self .

good to have you here, how's the weather on Pandora?

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Don't feel dirty, Clausen is better now, and has more upside, and less concerns.

And I'm willing to bet that not many teams feel that way. Sam Bradford is the superior Quarterback prospect in the eyes of pro scouts and evaluators. College football fans seem to prefer Clausen, but I don't know if there's any team in the Top 5 that would even take him. Meanwhile the Rams & Redskins more or less guarantee a Top 5 spot for Bradford. It would be useless trying to project Clausen over him because it's almost in stone that the Sooner will be the higher drafted of the two. In my opinion that's the right choice as well.

P-L
03-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Why are people so down on this decision. If his arm is not yet 100% and he made some mistakes, he could've cost him money and draft position. At least Bradford has an excuse. It isn't like he's pushing his workout back because he's lazy and out of shape.

FUNBUNCHER
03-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Bradford at #1 right seems a bit of a risk, IMO.

Also, Clausen I'd bet will be better sooner( no pun!) than Bradford with less of an adjustment to make as far as making NFLs reads and throws.

I feel as though analysts are severely underestimating Clausen's game, for what reason, I know not.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Bradford at #1 right seems a bit of a risk, IMO.

Also, Clausen I'd bet will be better sooner( no pun!) than Bradford with less of an adjustment to make as far as making NFLs reads and throws.

I feel as though analysts are severely underestimating Clausen's game, for what reason, I know not.

It's definitely a risk, all #1 picks are risky. Simply put, NFL evaluators just are not going to value Clausen over Bradford. I'm fine with anyone having Clausen over Bradford in their minds, but make no mistake, that is not the opinion of the teams selecting in the Top 5 (St. Louis/Washington).

fear the elf
03-10-2010, 12:20 PM
It's definitely a risk, all #1 picks are risky. Simply put, NFL evaluators just are not going to value Clausen over Bradford. I'm fine with anyone having Clausen over Bradford in their minds, but make no mistake, that is not the opinion of the teams selecting in the Top 5 (St. Louis/Washington).

Pudge, I respect your evaluating ability, insight on players, etc. but I have to question your absolute knowledge of the inner workings of every FO selecting in the top 5.

FUNBUNCHER
03-10-2010, 12:33 PM
If Shanahan goes QB at #4, I think he would be pleased with either Clausen or Bradford. It's not like if one is gone, he'll pass on the other guy.

I'm curious to see if Shanny/Bruce Allen sign Derek Anderson to compete with Brennan and Jason Campbell so they could free themselves up to grab Okung at #4.

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2010, 02:30 PM
And I'm willing to bet that not many teams feel that way. Sam Bradford is the superior Quarterback prospect in the eyes of pro scouts and evaluators. College football fans seem to prefer Clausen, but I don't know if there's any team in the Top 5 that would even take him. Meanwhile the Rams & Redskins more or less guarantee a Top 5 spot for Bradford. It would be useless trying to project Clausen over him because it's almost in stone that the Sooner will be the higher drafted of the two. In my opinion that's the right choice as well.

And teams LOVED Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers too.

Your evaluations are decent, but your head is getting way too swollen over all the +rep you get, and you're trying to hard to go out on a limb and present yourself as the absolute all knowing draftnik. You don't know what teams think, and your opinions aren't the final answer just because you said so.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 03:30 PM
And teams LOVED Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers too.

Your evaluations are decent, but your head is getting way too swollen over all the +rep you get, and you're trying to hard to go out on a limb and present yourself as the absolute all knowing draftnik. You don't know what teams think, and your opinions aren't the final answer just because you said so.

And Alex Smith was drafted ahead of Aaron Rodgers. Right now I'm talking about the Top 5 teams (St. Louis/Washington) and their opinions meaning more than your own. If you like Clausen, I said that's fine, but don't pretend that will be the opinion of NFL teams drafting in the Top 5 when all evidence points to quite the opposite. I'm going out on a limb saying Sam Bradford, the likely #1 pick, is going to be valued higher by the top teams. Of course I have reason to believe this and it just so happens to coincide with my own opinion.

Adam Schefter said he was "willing to take bets" the Rams would select Bradford 1st Overall. He's atop the mock drafts on nfl.com as well as both Mel Kiper & Todd McShay's.

The Redskins have also shown considerable interest. Pro Football Weekly has a good article on the matter.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/07/redskins-may-be-powerless-to-get-bradford
The Redskins appear to have set their sights on Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford, but it's looking more unlikely that they will be able to get him. Unless the Rams, who have passed on potential franchise quarterbacks the past few seasons, get cold feet on Bradford's shoulder, they are appearing to lean more toward taking him first overall.....Would they take Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen at No. 4? That might be a reach, though quarterbacks clearly are valued on a different scale. After all, few people thought Mark Sanchez was worth a top-five pick at this point last year, but the Jets made a bold move up to the No. 5 pick and landed the player they want to build their franchise around.

I mean it's fairly clear, I think, from most sources it would appear that my opinion is that of the consensus. Bradford will go #1 and will be the higher rated player on St. Louis'/Washington's boards. I'm not saying anything wild here. Your opinions are backed by nothing. There was no mistaking that you had not watched Gerald McCoy play much, yet you made a blind argument for Ndamukong Suh based on stats. In this case most evidence is pointing to Bradford at 1st Overall, the most coveted player by St. Louis/Washington, yet you say Clausen with no sense of what each team is looking for from their quarterbacks.

Free Agency has certainly pointed to St. Louis looking QB #1 as they haven't been active in that market and they've grabbed a starting player inside at DT in Fred Robbins. Unless his shoulder falls off Sam Bradford will be the most likely option for the Qb-needy St. Louis Rams. You're bringing a weak/non-existent argument to the table against someone who's done all the research and you're defending yourself by saying my head has swollen due to +rep on an NFL Draft forum. You want to present a solid argument? Because I actually can.

Monomach
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Note: when all of the media leaks from NFL front office members say "OMG PLAYER A IS SUPER AWESOME AND WE WANT TO DRAFT HIM IN THE FIRST," the opposite is usually true. It usually means that the team wants some other team to be stupid and draft the weak-armed, injury-prone, never-made-a-read-in-his-college-career-as-a-spread qb over the much better prospect.

If you really believe the crap you're peddling, then Tim Tebow is going to go #1 overall. After all, every leak to the media from coaching staffs and GMs is "WOW TIM TEBOW IS SOOOOO GOOD, HE SHOULD GO IN THE FIRST ROUNDZZZZZ."

Using that as backup for your opinion that you try to post as fact day after day is fail.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mike Shanahan is the guy leaking all of the Bradford love so that St. Louis makes a huge mistake and leaves Clausen on the board for him.

RealityCheck
03-10-2010, 03:46 PM
And get buttraped by Locker, Mallett, Barkley and our Savior T.J. Yates?

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Note: when all of the media leaks from NFL front office members say "OMG PLAYER A IS SUPER AWESOME AND WE WANT TO DRAFT HIM IN THE FIRST," the opposite is usually true. It usually means that the team wants some other team to be stupid and draft the weak-armed, injury-prone, never-made-a-read-in-his-college-career-as-a-spread qb over the much better prospect.

If you really believe the crap you're peddling, then Tim Tebow is going to go #1 overall. After all, every leak to the media from coaching staffs and GMs is "WOW TIM TEBOW IS SOOOOO GOOD, HE SHOULD GO IN THE FIRST ROUNDZZZZZ."

Using that as backup for your opinion that you try to post as fact day after day is fail.

Yet another person that would rather not actually talk about football. Just watch what happens in April... keep score: People who do the work vs. people who don't do anything, who will have the more accurate draft predictions. By the way, the Rams Franchise has not tipped their hand purposely. The franchise has played up concern to his shoulder and has had some nice things to say about Jimmy Clausen.

Some great arguments being made in Clausen's favor.

ViperVisor
03-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Glad we get some intrigue at QB other than Tebow talk.

San Diego Chicken
03-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Seems like Bradford helped his case with a 36 score on the wonderlic, while Clausen scored a 23. (Tim Tebow scored 22 while Colt McCoy scored 25, fwiw).

49erNation85
03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
good to have you here, how's the weather on Pandora?

Dude Pandora rocks you could move here . SO many hot chicks and the water is great year around . We even get free cable direct tv and free NFL ticket lol or NCAA game plan as well .

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Pudge, I'm curious as to how many scouts you know personally?

I know 1 that actually works for an NFL team, and he prefers Clausen, and he said that he's almost certain from his inside sources that neither is going number 1, and that Bradford isn't as highly thought of as you seem to believe, and the added weight only answered the injury concern, people still question him when he is under pressure, and don't trust his arm and accuracy on NFL style throws as much.

Then Scott Wright is the only other person that I'd say I have a good idea on how he feels, since he's so open with us on the forum and in blogs, ETC, and he also has Clausen over Bradford.

So the people that "do their work" that I know of don't agree with you, but you speak like you know someone in every front office, so can you elaborate?

You have this inside knowledge that Gerald McCoy and Bradford are the top choices, and you snap at us condescendingly when we suggest you may be wrong, because you "do the work", as if we have no clue what we are talking about, and no one knows but you.

You don't want to get into the Gerald McCoy thing again, because you skated around that and changed the subject, and tried to make me look like the guy that doesn't know football instead of answering a simple question. Suh Vs. McCoy really isn't an argument, you're on an island on that one, but hang on tight to that one, I won't grill you when you sing a different tune when Suh goes ahead of him.

****** A.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 06:10 PM
You have this inside knowledge that Gerald McCoy and Bradford are the top choices, and you snap at us condescendingly when we suggest you may be wrong, because you "do the work", as if we have no clue what we are talking about, and no one knows but you.

****** A.

Once again another post showing more of a personal attack than anything relevant to football. I provided very credible sources while you have an alleged scout and Scott Wright. I'd be shocked if Scott's next mock features a #1 pick that isn't Sam Bradford. Whether you like him most or not he just seems to fit what St. Louis and Washington are looking for most. It doesn't matter what I think, it doesn't matter what scouts think, and it doesn't matter what you think, we are talking about the Rams at 1st Overall who have the ability to take either franchise signal-caller.

I don't speak condescendingly, I am straight forward and rather impatient of those who don't actually break down situations with some intelligence & thought. Put a bit of thought into your posts & my responses won't seem condescending. You're too interested in trying to tell me off rather than actually providing any basis for your argument (which by the way I did.) It seems as if you don't like disagreement and don't like the fact that I have come into two threads and told you that you weren't right.

When Clausen goes above Bradford you can have your fun saying I told you so. I can guarantee you I'm not here looking for "I told you so" opportunities and proving people wrong isn't my major objective. I'm simply coming in here, in a straight forward, informative manner. I still don't think everything is locked in stone, but there are some things (such as Bradford > Clausen in NFL circles) that I can feel very confident in. I don't come in with mindless comments saying he is "better now" with "more upside." You've yet to back those statements up and instead feel like you need to turn to me and try to make a point.

I do this as both a hobby & a job. My college years are dedicated to getting myself a degree and putting myself in a position where I need to be to become an NFL scout/draft writer. My website should be up and running in a week or so and will help me make a little profit and build a very accessible resume resource. Through the years I've studied the draft with my full attention. I love the event, I plan my entire year around it & nine months out of the year I am preparing for it. I haven't had the money to travel & make the connections that I would like to have, but I'm only 20. I've grown a lot through the years interviewing players making the college -> NFL jump, attending the draft the last 5 years, and what I do each year gets broader & more comprehensive. Some people fly planes, some people clean bathrooms, I write about the draft/analyze the draft class.

FUNBUNCHER
03-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Scouts don't get paid jack, Pudge.

Keep your eye on the prize, and aspire for that top level GM position one day!

And if you really want to get in tight with an organization, you need to go to the combine and meet some of these coaches/top level NFL execs.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 06:21 PM
Scouts don't get paid jack, Pudge.

Keep your eye on the prize, and aspire for that top level GM position one day!

And if you really want to get in tight with an organization, you need to go to the combine and meet some of these coaches/top level NFL execs.

I'm planning on talking to a couple of the scouts looking at Taylor Price/Thad Turner in a few weeks here in Athens. Last year when I went to the Pro Day there were between 6 and 8 teams represented; a little bit of an embarrassing moment as I was the only student there & the only guy standing there with a pad and pen. Lately I've shifted my focus toward a website and making money that way for right now, so hopefully some experience there can help open my eyes up to the field. Life of a scout's kind of rough so I'm going to see what my best option is getting involved in the draft process.

I'm hoping to earn enough to make a trip out to Indy my senior year and do what you're saying there.

Stranger
03-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I have been quoting this guy way to much lately but since there is an argument about what scouts think about Clausen:

From Daniel Jeremiah, former Ravens and Browns scout.

http://twitter.com/movethesticks

RT @seahawkaddicts: No Jimmy Clausen in the first? Would be shocked if Hawks and Bills both passed on him.>Not a top 10 player in my opinion

Some people were surprised I didn't have Clausen going in the 1st RD... If SEA passes on him at 14, I don't see him going in the 1st

RT @IlliniVikeFan: You don't think Minnesota would take Clausen?Id be shocked if he fell out of the top 10> that makes one of us

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I don't break it down usually, because you come back with stuff like "ohhh, it's in the tape, if you can't see it, shame on you!" even when the tape says differently too me.

But anyway, your sources are Kiper and McShay, and the guys on NFL.com mock drafts? Like Pat Kirwin and Bucky Brooks? Give me a ******* break,the only one of those guys with any sort of grasp on reality is Kiper, who BY THE WAY, has Clausen HIGHER THAN BRADFORD, and Suh higher than McCoy. Funny right?

Here it is for you, a very brief breakdown of one over the other:

Jimmy Clausen has proven he can take a beating and remain healthy, Bradford was behind a dominant line to begin his career, and then went down twice inthe same year, and still isn't totally right from it. You can find a way to spin this for Bradford I guess.

Jimmy Clausen has a stronger arm, and they both have great throwing mechanics.

Clausen has consistently completed more difficult, NFL style throws, Bradford has some film here and there of doing it, but he's been in a college style system and was never forced to make the same amount of reads and difficult throws as often as Jimmy did this past year.

He's shown to be prone to bad throws with pressure, because he was so accustomed to the protection he received early on, and the 1-2 read before getting rid of it.

He's an excellent passer underneath, and into the middle on "spread style" routes, but he still floats the ball deep, can't drive it into tight spots that well, and has mediocre power on the comeback routes on the sideline.

Bradford doesn't have Clausen's arm strength, or the ability to air it out as well, and definitely doesn't put the ball on a spot as well deep(Clausen is excellent at getting it to the back shoulder, so that only his guy can make a play on it)

Clausen was able to play with two stud receivers, but he showed he knows how to make NFL throws, to NFL caliber receivers. If I want a guy that takes a shotgun snap, makes a quick read and throws a precise bubble screen, I'll take Bradford.

If I want a guy that can line up under center, execute the play action, go through his progressions and then hit a guy on a post corner where only his receiver can get it, while taking a hit and actually getting back up, I'll take Clausen.

So there it is again... Clausen is better at going through a full series of progressions, makes better throws down the field, he is more ready to play right now having operated a pro style system and being more familiar with what is expected in the NFL, he no longer gets antsy while under pressure, having overcome that from his first two years (something Bradford still has trouble with), and he doesn't have a shoulder issue on an already mediocre arm. That's why he's better right now, and can still improve on things he already does better than Bradford, because he has tools that allow him to consistently make throws that Bradford can't.

So myself, Scott Wright, a paid pro scout I speak to, and Mel Kiper Jr all agree that Clausen and Suh are the two better respective prospects. I suppose when the draft is over, you can laugh at all of us for not doing our work like the almighty pudge, who has put in the time that none of us have before he even hit the legal drinking age.

Oh, and before you go off telling us how much time we spend evaluating players, I also have aspirations of becoming a pro scout, and I already feed some of my reports to people that are actually connected. I do detailed breakdowns(the most detailed and longest that I've actually seen), I just don't feel the need to post them all on here, or gloat about how much more I do it than anyone else.

Like I said, you're a great evaluator and you do your homework, but you're ego is inflating by the day here, and you do a big disservice to the plenty of folks here that also really know their football by having this "holier than thou" attitude.

Oh! Also, if you ever make the trip out for the Senior Bowl, let me know, we can hook up, and debate over some alcoholic beverages :D

Stranger
03-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Uh...

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Smart: On ESPN.com, Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay each have elevated Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford in his mock draft to the No. 1 overall pick. about 6 hours ago

I don't have insider so someone else will have to confirm, but I doubt Schefter made that up.

Also ESPN has McCoy rated higher than Suh and Bradford at 9th overall and Clausen not in the top 32.

Edit: I did enjoy your evaluation though, just not the pissing match you two are in.

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Yea, the dual mock has Bradford going first. Kiper's big board has Suh at 1, McCoy at 2, Clausen at 4, and Bradford at 5.

Like I said, where they go isn't what matters to me, Bradford might go number 1, and it will be a mistake, like Alex Smith going higher than Rodgers.

San Diego Chicken
03-10-2010, 06:51 PM
I have been quoting this guy way to much lately but since there is an argument about what scouts think about Clausen:

From Daniel Jeremiah, former Ravens and Browns scout.

http://twitter.com/movethesticks

I wish this scout would expand a bit, it's hard to get a detailed scouting report over twitter.

If folks are leaving Clausen out of the first round alltogether, it has to be because of character/leadership concerns, because clearly when it comes to arm talent and downfield passing, Clausen is the best in this draft. (Note: I have not seen Skelton play, who I've heard positive things about)

yourfavestoner
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I wish this scout would expand a bit, it's hard to get a detailed scouting report over twitter.

If folks are leaving Clausen out of the first round alltogether, it has to be because of character/leadership concerns, because clearly when it comes to arm talent and downfield passing, Clausen is the best in this draft. (Note: I have not seen Skelton play, who I've heard positive things about)

From what I understand, his personality is eerily similar to Ryan Leaf's. Not in the sense that he's incredibly emotionally immature, but that he has a ridiculous sense of entitlement and arrogance.

San Diego Chicken
03-10-2010, 06:58 PM
From what I understand, his personality is eerily similar to Ryan Leaf's. Not in the sense that he's incredibly emotionally immature, but that he has a ridiculous sense of entitlement and arrogance.

I could definitely see that. That is my biggest concern, that Clausen rubs his teamates the wrong way, and/or becomes merely a stat guy at the NFL level who never wins anything of importance.

Having an under .500 record as a starter, especially at football school like ND, is deeply troubling to me regardless of the defense he had.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Yea, the dual mock has Bradford going first. Kiper's big board has Suh at 1, McCoy at 2, Clausen at 4, and Bradford at 5.

Like I said, where they go isn't what matters to me, Bradford might go number 1, and it will be a mistake, like Alex Smith going higher than Rodgers.

Well then that's a very key point in our discussion. I'm arguing that Bradford is pretty much a lock in the Top 4 and the most likely selection at 1st Overall. I'm not evaluating their professional careers here. I came into this thread disputing a notion that this would affect his draft stock and that he was still the favorite for the 1st pick/#1 Quarterback in the top teams' eyes. How he develops depends a lot on his coaching, health, etc. They both have franchise potential.

I was responding to your previous post when I saw this and cut off what I was saying there. I really appreciate you elaborating and taking a further look at the situation and I hope you don't think I have hostility in any of my posts. Just like you, when I see something I disagree with in a thread I comment. It's not a matter of ego, it's a matter of me including St. Louis/Washington and looking at the whole picture when viewing the Bradford/Clausen situation.

RealityCheck
03-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Like JaMarcus over Quinn.
Like Vick over Brees.
Like Druckenmiller over Plummer.
And there it goes.

Saints-Tigers
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Naw, you're a lot like me pudge. I just would probably get into lots of fights if I had to live with another me :P

Anyway, I think either QB first would be a mistake at this point, but I think Clausen is a better prospect, dunno who will go first, because every team has so many different values and wants...

Stranger
03-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Like Manning over Leaf.

FUNBUNCHER
03-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Jimmyz is getting NO RESPECT.

Oh well....

Bald_81
03-12-2010, 12:50 PM
According to Rams GM Billy Devaney, (who just mentioned this on a St. Louis radio station) the second Oklahoma pro day where Bradford will throw is on the 29th, not the 25th. Devaney said that there are official league and team meetings that week and to ensure every team is there to see him throw and check him out, he moved it up to the 29th.

yourfavestoner
03-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I could definitely see that. That is my biggest concern, that Clausen rubs his teamates the wrong way, and/or becomes merely a stat guy at the NFL level who never wins anything of importance.

Having an under .500 record as a starter, especially at football school like ND, is deeply troubling to me regardless of the defense he had.

On, the other hand, though you have a guy like John Elway. Elway was viewed as arrogant and self-entitled and never won anything of value at Stanford, and he turned out alright.

Granted, Clausen is nowhere near the prospect that Elways is, but that's a whole different discussion.

descendency
03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
I think the only thing I am willing to say about this anymore is that Bradford will likely have a worse rookie season than Clausen and everyone will over-react at the end of the year (especially if the Clausen to the skins rumor matriculates).

I wouldn't be shocked if Clausen were rookie of the year if he goes to Washington. Then again, Washington will have to make their second pick an OL and maybe their Third...

Babylon
03-12-2010, 01:32 PM
On, the other hand, though you have a guy like John Elway. Elway was viewed as arrogant and self-entitled and never won anything of value at Stanford, and he turned out alright.

Granted, Clausen is nowhere near the prospect that Elways is, but that's a whole different discussion.

I never got the sense that Elway was arrogant and self-entitled, was that because his dad was a football coach?

yourfavestoner
03-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I never got the sense that Elway was arrogant and self-entitled, was that because his dad was a football coach?

From what I've read (remember that I wasn't alive at the time), he carried that reputation from the time he was at Granada Hills high school. Pulling the "don't draft me, and if you do I'll just play baseball" schtick on the Colts didn't do him any favors either.

Not trying to knock on him, because I love me some Elway. But, it appears that he had that reputation.

Babylon
03-12-2010, 02:17 PM
From what I've read (remember that I wasn't alive at the time), he carried that reputation from the time he was at Granada Hills high school. Pulling the "don't draft me, and if you do I'll just play baseball" schtick on the Colts didn't do him any favors either.

Not trying to knock on him, because I love me some Elway. But, it appears that he had that reputation.

Unfortunately i was around then, the Colts thing didnt sit well with me either but he did have a little leverage. The system works against players i think in most cases so if someone can beat it all well and good.