PDA

View Full Version : Rams sign DT Robbins: Does this mean they are looking QB?

brasho
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
The Rams just signed Fred Robbins away from the Giants for a 3 year deal worth up to $12 mil. Does this mean with a DT they like Clifton Ryan, a former top 15 pick in Adam Carriker, and now with Robbins that they can use that 1st pick to secure their QB of the future?

They don't need to smokescreen anybody, they own the top pick in the draft. I think they go Bradford.

killxswitch
03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I thought Fred Robbins sucked. Is he really good enough to indicate the Rams aren't drafting a DT with the 1st pick?

CC.SD
03-08-2010, 01:23 PM
They do still need to smokescreen.

They could be trying to get someone to trade up. They could be playing salary mind games as well, #1 is usually not an easy player to sign. If Suh or McCoy is their guy, the Rams need at least some leverage.

Robbins is not exactly around for the long term, I don't think he is really a factor in this.

brasho
03-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Robbins played for Spagnuolo in NY and was his starting DT for the SB winning team. $4 mil a year is a pretty expensive smokescreen.

BlueBandit24
03-08-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't think the signing of Fred Robbins would alter any team's draft plans. Robbins can be a quality player when healthy, but he's not the potential difference-maker at the position that Suh/McCoy could be. If the Rams are enamored with one of the QB's, I think it's a no-brainer, but if not the defensive tackles are still the best confluence of value and need.

brasho
03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
I see Robbins as a classic 2-gap 4-3 DT, nothing more, nothing less. If Spags likes him then that is all that really matters.

wordofi
03-08-2010, 01:43 PM
The Rams just signed Fred Robbins away from the Giants for a 3 year deal worth up to $12 mil. Does this mean with a DT they like Clifton Ryan, a former top 15 pick in Adam Carriker, and now with Robbins that they can use that 1st pick to secure their QB of the future?

They don't need to smokescreen anybody, they own the top pick in the draft. I think they go Bradford.

I wouldn't necessarily say so. Robbins is a 4-3 NT who takes up multiple blockers and has no pass rushing ability.

LonghornsLegend
03-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Robbins is 33 years old coming off of a semi-serious injury and a lackluster season. There is no reason you would let him alter your plans of the #1 pick in the draft at all.

SKim172
03-09-2010, 06:36 AM
I don't think he'll necessarily alter their plans, but it might hint at what their plans are. Robbins is aging and not exactly setting the world afire, but he is a decent stopgap option for the Rams to consider another position with the top pick. Getting a temporary filler like Robbins and focusing on a position that they think will have an impact on their future makes sense. They weren't going to be contenders anyway and they can get a DT in the later rounds. But it's hard to find a franchise QB past the first round.

I've always felt that the Rams were going to go QB. And I predict it'll be Clausen in the end. I don't necessarily agree wholeheartedly with the decision, but that's my prediction.

Rosebud
03-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Robbins played for Spagnuolo in NY and was his starting DT for the SB winning team. $4 mil a year is a pretty expensive smokescreen.

Robbens has also gotten really old, really fast. If anything I think Robbens is being brought in to help mentor the young tackles on the roster already and Suh or McCoy.

Rosebud
03-09-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't think he'll necessarily alter their plans, but it might hint at what their plans are. Robbins is aging and not exactly setting the world afire, but he is a decent stopgap option for the Rams to consider another position with the top pick. Getting a temporary filler like Robbins and focusing on a position that they think will have an impact on their future makes sense. They weren't going to be contenders anyway and they can get a DT in the later rounds. But it's hard to find a franchise QB past the first round.

I've always felt that the Rams were going to go QB. And I predict it'll be Clausen in the end. I don't necessarily agree wholeheartedly with the decision, but that's my prediction.

If Robbens were still a decent stop gap we would've held onto him. We have a desperate need at DT as we were terrible up the middle last year yet we still let Robbens walk.