PDA

View Full Version : Could Gerald McCoy Drop out of the top 5?

bucfan12
03-08-2010, 01:49 PM
I was just thinking about this scenario.

What if the Rams end up taking Sam Bradford at 1 and then the Lions take Russell Okung at 2. Tampa would then take Suh at 3 and where does that leave Gerald McCoy?

Its not like this is entirely impossible as the Rams biggest position of need is QB and Bradford would have been #1 overall if he decalred last year.

The Lions witnessed first hand what happens to a 80 million dollar investment at QB when he has no one to protect his blind side. Thats where they can clearly take Russell Okung and they dealt for Corey Williams to play DT and signed Vanden Bosch.

It is clear Suh would then go to Tampa. So where does that leave McCoy? WOuld Washington take him to play DE in the 3-4? If he gets by Washington, I don't see Kansas City taking him as they have Dorsey and Jackson. Maybe Seattle could take him. I don't see him falling past 7 as Cleveland has expressed interest in him being a 3-4 end.

Its just a question to ponder. Let me know what you think.

RaiderNation
03-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Im sure some team will trade up if he falls to KC

bitonti
03-08-2010, 01:53 PM
if suh dropped out of the top 2 than yes mccoy could drop out of the top 5

alot of "ifs" in that scenario

descendency
03-08-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm actually starting to believe that Suh or McCoy will be available at 5 and will allow the Chiefs to trade down because of it.

Okung will likely be the pick for the Lions because of his super combine workout (Davis had a not so good workout and I highly doubt Bruce Campbell goes before #8 [or after]).

If Bradford, Clausen, Okung, and Suh/McCoy are the top 4 picks then that will make McCoy/Suh the 5th pick though. It will just be by someone else not in KC (because KC can't have 3 top 5 picks at 5-tech and neither can play 0-tech).

vidae
03-08-2010, 01:56 PM
That's the scenario I'm hoping plays out. I'd love to trade out of that pick, maybe down to 10-11 around there.

DiG
03-08-2010, 01:57 PM
i cant imagine mccoy falling past the skins in your scenario. at a minimum they should be able to get decent enough trade value from someone wanting to move up for mccoy.

FlyingElvis
03-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Yes, he could.

Though I agree that the trade talks would start with Washington at 4. 4 and 5 would both be very attactive picks for the teams in the market for McCoy, Clausen, or even Bryant & Berry.

bucfan12
03-08-2010, 02:17 PM
But here is the other question, who would trade up? Every scout in the league says he would be a terror in the 4-3 and is best suited to play under tackle. Which team would make the deal? Jacksonville? Seattle? New York Giants?

Babylon
03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I've thought for some time now that Berry or McCoy (or even Bradford for that matter) could drop to Seattle at #6. That sort of puts them in a position where they have to come off going with an OT there and going for BPA.

keylime_5
03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I heard most teams have McCoy rated above Suh (less injury ?s and a better pass rusher apparently). But yeah, I think if Detroit takes Okung then either Suh or McCoy (whoever Tampa doesn't take) could fall out of the top 5 to Seattle.

Stranger
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Isn't McCoy the better fit in a Tampa 2 scheme? So in this scenario it is possible that the Bucs take him over Suh. Washington would probably then take Suh to play in their 3-4 though.

bigbluedefense
03-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I have a feeling that in that scenario, it would be Suh who falls, bc Tampa would prefer McCoy over Suh since he's more of a prototype Tampa 2 UT.

In fact, it would not shock me at all if McCoy is #1 on their board, not Suh.

WMD
03-08-2010, 05:02 PM
None of you will be alive to see who gets picked at #3 if the Lions don't pick Suh at #2. I'll blow up the whole world.

K Train
03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
None of you will be alive to see who gets picked at #3 if the Lions don't pick Suh at #2. I'll blow up the whole world.

hahahahaha so good.

i am not nearly as high on mccoy as others...he could drop out of the top 5 and i wouldnt be shocked

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2010, 05:25 PM
At this point I can't see either falling out of the top 5, although I think McCoy is a little overrated.
Of the two, I think McCoy will have the slower adjustment to the pro game; learning to use his hands better, diagnosing plays, improving his overall strength.

Splat
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
The Chiefs would love nothing more then for him to fall to #5 so they can try and trade down.

wordofi
03-08-2010, 06:49 PM
I was just thinking about this scenario.

What if the Rams end up taking Sam Bradford at 1 and then the Lions take Russell Okung at 2. Tampa would then take Suh at 3 and where does that leave Gerald McCoy?

Its not like this is entirely impossible as the Rams biggest position of need is QB and Bradford would have been #1 overall if he decalred last year.

The Lions witnessed first hand what happens to a 80 million dollar investment at QB when he has no one to protect his blind side. Thats where they can clearly take Russell Okung and they dealt for Corey Williams to play DT and signed Vanden Bosch.

It is clear Suh would then go to Tampa. So where does that leave McCoy? WOuld Washington take him to play DE in the 3-4? If he gets by Washington, I don't see Kansas City taking him as they have Dorsey and Jackson. Maybe Seattle could take him. I don't see him falling past 7 as Cleveland has expressed interest in him being a 3-4 end.

Its just a question to ponder. Let me know what you think.

Not a chance. Somebody will trade up to get him.

Brent
03-08-2010, 07:31 PM
I would see that as justified, too.

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 07:44 PM

LOL.... I was that mad in 1998 when my team passed on Randy Moss and selected the servicable DE. I just hadn't studied explosives yet at that time!

Scott Wright
03-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Unless Matt Millen gets rehired the Lions aren't passing on Suh / McCoy at #2.

brasho
03-09-2010, 06:22 AM

Stranger things have happened. So you think after that happens they definitely go after Dez Bryant?

espnhatesthe49ers
03-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Since 2000 Detroit has had 11 1st round draft picks of those picks only one has been a defensive player.

Detroit is a team that values a ferious passing attack more than anything else.

Addict
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM

this. I'll help set the charges.

You'd turn into an actual WMD, amirite?

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Since 2000 Detroit has had 11 1st round draft picks of those picks only one has been a defensive player.

Detroit is a team that values a ferious passing attack more than anything else.

Since 2000. Does the fact that McMillen, who was a pretty good defensive player in his own right, was the GM for 9 of those draft picks?

Anyway its a new day in Detroit, at least Detroit fans hope

The bigger question should be who would be the better player to play the 3 tech in Detroit. I believe McCoy since he is the quicker of the 2 and able to get up the field better.

And even if McCoy and Suh are availible at the #3 pick Tampa Bay's scheme is more suited to McCoy's style of play even though I'm a big Suh fan