PDA

View Full Version : Hardy wants to play OLB

scpanther22
03-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Do you all think he can do it?And does a preference hurt his stock with 4-3 teams

He said at the Combine that he’s looking to play linebacker in the 3-4, which is why he’s dropping his weight down to about 270. He added that health-wise, his foot and wrist are fine.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/03/08/daily-nfl-draft-tidbit-is-greg-hardy-worth-the-gamble-for-the-patriots/

Babylon
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Wouldnt want to see him have to cover too many people down the field but if he were to be used in the DeMarcus Ware roll then i think he could handle it.

Supporting Caste
03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Wouldnt want to see him have to cover too many people down the field but if he were to be used in the DeMarcus Ware roll then i think he could handle it.

Ware is asked to do everything quite a bit.

Grizzlegom
03-08-2010, 02:52 PM
i don't buy it. I think this is his attempt to show he's scheme neutral so it doesn't limit his options but I think if any team takes him to play at OLB, they will be disappointed (although at this point i think any team that takes him at all will be disappointed)

FrankGore
03-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I wish this said "Hardy wants to play". That's what it comes down to.

SenorGato
03-08-2010, 08:14 PM
That's nice...dude's going to be such a steal. I really hope the Jets draft him.

This is what I want him to do...get his weight down to 270. Couldn't care less what he ran at the combine either...

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 08:25 PM
That's nice...dude's going to be such a steal. I really hope the Jets draft him.

This is what I want him to do...get his weight down to 270. Couldn't care less what he ran at the combine either...
You think he can give you guys more than Gholston has at that position? :eek:

SenorGato
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
You think he can give you guys more than Gholston has at that position? :eek:

Gholston will be something too, even if that something isn't LT 2.0.

Hardy is a better player, and if he was healthy would have been a better prospect.

ElectricEye
03-08-2010, 09:12 PM
I was surprised, but he actually looked excellent in drills even with the extra weight. Think if he could get down to 260-265 he could be completely legit there.

RWills
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I was surprised, but he actually looked excellent in drills even with the extra weight. Think if he could get down to 260-265 he could be completely legit there.

I agree he did have good feet, his legs looked so thin, where was all that 280

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2010, 09:47 PM
He probably needs to get in the 255-265# range to really effective the way he wants to be, IMO.

I think Hardy is more than athletic enough to make the switch, it's all about getting his weight down.

frubulubu
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
He should stick to playing DE.

OaklandRaider56
03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, OLB in a 3-4 looks easier.

Don Vito
03-08-2010, 11:07 PM
He can do it, he shouldn't be playing anywhere above 265-270 though. The dude is a monster, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy. Don't let his subpar workout numbers fool you, he is an athlete. He caught 3 TD's here as a goal line receiver and was the one of the first guys off the bench for the basketball team as a true freshman. He showed that he can be a complete player when he wants to be and when he is healthy, he can get to the QB with the best of him and is great against the run. For a guy his size he can move. If he can get back to his sophmore and junior year form, someone will be getting a major steal.

His injuries have been really unfortunate, I'm really hoping he can get healthy. Hardy looked like a potential top 5 candidate before this year.

derza222
03-08-2010, 11:14 PM
What round does everybody think Hardy is going to go in at this point? Is he a round 3/4 guy at this point or a little earlier/later? Either way he's fallen quite a bit since the beginning of the season, a lot of people were big fans of his. I'd really like to see him outperform his draft status, he's a bit of an underdog right now.

killxswitch
03-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Perfect 3rd rounder for the Colts. As a DE.

stephenson86
03-09-2010, 04:38 AM
after the way he looked at the combine, i wouldnt advise it

K Train
03-09-2010, 06:55 AM
he would be more like greg ellis more than ware....ellis was a liability in coverage, ware really isnt that much

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 08:18 AM
I can imagine him losing weight and playing in a Tampa 2 style D b/c he was a terror off the edge when healthy. Which I might add wasn't that often.

thebow305
03-09-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm starting to get the Quentin Moses feel here with Hardy.

A supremely talented Junior, that came back for his Senior Year, and completely fell off, for one reason or another.

Not sure he will ever be relevant again. What do you guys think?

Don Vito
03-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm starting to get the Quentin Moses feel here with Hardy.

A supremely talented Junior, that came back for his Senior Year, and completely fell off, for one reason or another.

Not sure he will ever be relevant again. What do you guys think?

Moses played all of his senior year if I'm not mistaken, Hardy missed most of it with injuries. When healthy he is a better all around player than Moses ever was, Moses was more of a pure pass rusher. The thing is he just hasn't stayed on the field, but if he can get back to his old self someone will be getting a major steal.

thebow305
03-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Moses played all of his senior year if I'm not mistaken, Hardy missed most of it with injuries. When healthy he is a better all around player than Moses ever was, Moses was more of a pure pass rusher. The thing is he just hasn't stayed on the field, but if he can get back to his old self someone will be getting a major steal.

I'm not really comparing the ability, so much as the situation. I think they both will end up being a shell of their former selves in the NFL.

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Dude is a 4-3 DE, and he's not even that good of a prospect there anymore. Going to a 3-4 is going to be a disaster IMO and I can think of plenty of guys I'd prefer over him in rounds 3-5 before I even thought about him. His stock has been plummeting for over a year as a 4-3 End, and he's never looked anywhere near fluid enough to me to be an edge rusher standing up.

Don Vito
03-09-2010, 08:17 PM
He may have been banged up the last season and a half but to say he was "never fluid enough" is not correct, he even looked smoother in LB drills at the combine than a lot of the guys ranked ahead of him. I don't know if he will ever get back to his old form which is a shame, but the dude proved that he can be an elite player when he is healthy and ready to go.

ElectricEye
03-09-2010, 08:59 PM
and he's never looked anywhere near fluid enough to me to be an edge rusher standing up.

He looked plenty fluid at the combine.

frubulubu
03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
He is trying to make him self more atractive to more teams by adding the 3-4 teams. He wants to jump in the draft boards, might come back and bite him in the ass!

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2010, 10:55 PM
He looked plenty fluid at the combine.

I was speaking more in regards to what I saw on the field more so then drills but that may have been the case. He's a guy who rushes better with his hand on the ground, and his versatility will definately be called into question if he's to all of a sudden stand up from various spots as an OLB would.

ElectricEye
03-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I was speaking more in regards to what I saw on the field more so then drills but that may have been the case. He's a guy who rushes better with his hand on the ground, and his versatility will definately be called into question if he's to all of a sudden stand up from various spots as an OLB would.

I was with you before I saw him in drills. Out of all the guys who were off the radar for playing 3-4 OLB, the guys who might have been too big, he was the best. Turned his hips quickly and looked completely comfortable in space. The extra weight he added wasn't helping his cause, but despite the poor forty, I wouldn't have a problem drafting him to play in a 3-4. Obviously he'll have to learn to play linebacker like all the other converts, but from what he's shown, the learning curve isn't particularly steep for him in comparison to other prospects.

Don Vito
03-10-2010, 12:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dhol5aFg8Y

That is the film of the Bama game his sophmore year. Finished the game with 13 total tackles, nine solos, five TFLs, three sacks, two forced fumbles and two QB hurries. He played without his hand on the ground at times at Ole Miss, you can see at around the 1:55 mark he is standing up and comes around the edge for a sack. Throughout all his tape when he is healthy you can see him shedding blocks, not giving up on plays, and showing that burst and athleticism that made him so special. He lined up with his hand on the ground on both sides, also standing up. Keep in mind that Bama had a very solid line and he matched up against Andre Smith at left tackle quite a bit.

He was unblockable at times. I hope he gets it back because people are forgetting how special he was and how special he could be, but no doubt he is going to need to work very hard to get it back. I know that every time there is a post about Hardy I will be there to respond about it, I'm sorry but thats the way it is and always will be. I've been pimping him on here for over 3 years and I don't intend on stopping. So please Greg, get healthy and bust your ass so I don't look like a ******.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/2008/1006_large.jpg

I remember Greg Hardy.

SenorGato
03-10-2010, 12:39 AM
^^^ Yea, dude is a great natural athlete...he's as fluid as Sapp or Kindle when he's healthy, except he's bigger and better than either.

BigBanger
03-10-2010, 12:41 AM
This guy reminded me just like Moses. All this hype, then I watch him and I see a guy not nearly as fast or athletic as people made him out to be. Not even remotely close to dominate. Not even ******* close. He actually looked like pure **** that had an awful motor and was easily blockable. Like Moses, when I watched for Hardy, other guys would jump out while Hardy played staring games with OTs. The guy that jumped when watching Georgia was Charles Johnson, the other DE that ended up going in the second round.

There was no reason to watch any of Hardy's tape from this past season. None. If you didn't know who he was going into the games, you would never once think there was a "first round caliber prospect playing DE" for Ole Miss. I remember watching him when they upset Florida. I think he had 2 sacks in that game. I'll you what, you wouldn't know that ************ was even on the field. That's how ineffective and invisible he was in that game.

SenorGato
03-10-2010, 12:44 AM
^ Srs bidness.

Don Vito
03-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Are you sure? I'm not disputing that he did nothing this year, he barely played, but I would say he was dominant as a sophmore and great as a junior (until he got hurt). You can say he is a huge risk because he's been injured for essentially a season and a half, but he was a force before that.

SenorGato
03-10-2010, 12:48 AM
Are you sure? I'm not disputing that he did nothing this year, he barely played, but I would say he was dominant as a sophmore and great as a junior (until he got hurt). You can say he is a huge risk because he's been injured for essentially a season and a half, but he was a force before that.

He even managed to leave this season leading Ole Miss in sacks...when he ended his year he lead the team with 5 sacks...this is with Tillman and Lockett playing up.

ElectricEye
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
This guy reminded me just like Moses. All this hype, then I watch him and I see a guy not nearly as fast or athletic as people made him out to be. Not even remotely close to dominate. Not even ******* close. He actually looked like pure **** that had an awful motor and was easily blockable. Like Moses, when I watched for Hardy, other guys would jump out while Hardy played staring games with OTs. The guy that jumped when watching Georgia was Charles Johnson, the other DE that ended up going in the second round.

There was no reason to watch any of Hardy's tape from this past season. None. If you didn't know who he was going into the games, you would never once think there was a "first round caliber prospect playing DE" for Ole Miss. I remember watching him when they upset Florida. I think he had 2 sacks in that game. I'll you what, you wouldn't know that ************ was even on the field. That's how ineffective and invisible he was in that game.

I pretty much disagree with all of this. There's a lot not to like with Greg Hardy right now, but he is by no means invisible when he is on the field. He flashes all over the place.