PDA

View Full Version : Dez Bryant won't work out at Oklahoma State Pro Day

Splat
03-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Dez Bryant won't work out at Oklahoma State Pro Day (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/08/dez-bryant-wont-work-out-at-oklahoma-state-pro-day/)

"Multiple league sources tell us that receiver Dez Bryant has advised the NFL's 32 teams that he won't be working out at the school's March 10 Pro Day.

Instead, he'll hold a separate workout on March 25.

Bryant also did not work out at the Scouting Combine.

Regarded as a high-end receiving talent, many concerns have emerged regarding Bryant's off-field habits. Given reports that he showed up late both for practices and games, we suspect that some will believe he needs the extra 15 days to get in shape."

superman8456
03-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Would the school allow him, even with his suspension?

Splat
03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I have said before I don't think he is worth a top five pick and got slammed for it I just don't trust the kid.

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Dez Bryant is not gonna run a blistering 40 IMO. And if he hasn't been working out since his suspension from OSU, which his refusal to run at Okla State's Pro Day tells me, he's not worth taking before the 25th pick.

What's up with these guys thinking they can snow NFL GMs by not working out??
No one is just gonna give up millions of dollars to some kid because they saw them play in a few games in '08.

LonghornsLegend
03-08-2010, 05:30 PM
No one is just gonna give up millions of dollars to some kid because they saw them play in a few games in '08.

You wanna bet?

FUNBUNCHER
03-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Dez just has the look of a prospect who's going to fall in this draft.

We'll see if he still goes top 10.

Babylon
03-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I have said before I don't think he is worth a top five pick and got slammed for it I just don't trust the kid.

Not everyone is against you on that stance.

I'm almost wondering if guys are better off not working out, it seems to only raise their stock.

no bare feet
03-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Currently one of my tier one propsects. I see no character flaws in him that warrants him falling out of the top 10. His Tiger Woods controlled Pro-Day will allow him to not fall past Buffalo.

SenorGato
03-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Currently one of my tier one propsects. I see no character flaws in him that warrants him falling out of the top 10. His Tiger Woods controlled Pro-Day will allow him to not fall past Buffalo.

Yea, he's still one of the best players in the draft disregarding position. There's nothing significant enough to make me think he'll fall out of the top 10. I'm still not 100% sure he'll make it out of the top 5.

thenewfeature06
03-08-2010, 08:17 PM
He is basically being childish and a diva that he is. He obviosuly knows somebody is going to select him in the 1st round regardless. The next question is will he continue this type of behavior on the team he is drafted too? Probably, maybe to a lesser extent.

ThePudge
03-08-2010, 08:48 PM
He is basically being childish and a diva that he is. He obviosuly knows somebody is going to select him in the 1st round regardless. The next question is will he continue this type of behavior on the team he is drafted too? Probably, maybe to a lesser extent.

how is this being childish and a diva? The guy just hurt his hamstring he needs to get into shape. His agent likely advised him to push back his workout. Seems like a no brainer to me.

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Isn't his "camp" predicting he runs 4.3?

Did anyone else hear that?

TACKLE
03-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Dez just has the look of a prospect who's going to fall in this draft.

We'll see if he still goes top 10.

There's no way he falls past Miami at #12. Jacksonville, Denver and Miami are all hoping he falls. Don't think he will get past Jacksonville though.

Brent
03-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I dont get the hate for the guy. There is no way this guy slips past the top 15. No way.

Splat
03-08-2010, 09:19 PM
I dont get the hate for the guy. There is no way this guy slips past the top 15. No way.

I would agree with that I just don't like the top five talk.

RWills
03-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I don't know about him he can go top 10 or drop, didn't Kirwan have him going to Baltimore, he knows some things we don't. I doubt Denver will trade one headache to another. If he is indeed out of shape and pulls a 4.5-4.6 how far does he drop? I heard he interviewed horrible at the combine, does he fall even if he tears a sub 4.4?

Flyboy
03-09-2010, 01:32 AM
Why was everyone up in arms when Crabtree did the sae thing last year but all is much quieter on the front with Bryant? Hm.

wogitalia
03-09-2010, 02:40 AM
Why was everyone up in arms when Crabtree did the sae thing last year but all is much quieter on the front with Bryant? Hm.

Because Crabtree had serious speed questions that he was and did avoid answering. Most scouts expect that Bryant is going to blaze the 40. Hiding from something and delaying it are different, especially if it is a perceived strength for the delayer and weakness for the hider.

Either way, Bryant really needs a good time now and is basically creating the situation to be perfect for him so he has to really impress. I think his individual workouts are going to be key anyway, I can't see a team picking a WR without an individual workout.

Bryant does seem to be one of those guys who you question intelligence and surroundings though, continually making bad decisions eventually becomes a negative and catches up with you.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Because Crabtree had serious speed questions that he was and did avoid answering. Most scouts expect that Bryant is going to blaze the 40. Hiding from something and delaying it are different, especially if it is a perceived strength for the delayer and weakness for the hider.

Either way, Bryant really needs a good time now and is basically creating the situation to be perfect for him so he has to really impress. I think his individual workouts are going to be key anyway, I can't see a team picking a WR without an individual workout.

Bryant does seem to be one of those guys who you question intelligence and surroundings though, continually making bad decisions eventually becomes a negative and catches up with you.

Do you believe he is as fast as advertised?

SenorGato
03-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Since no one really seems to advertise him as fast, I think he's faster than advertised.

ThePudge
03-09-2010, 10:25 AM
Do you believe he is as fast as advertised?

He plays that fast. He's a big play guy, a vertical threat, and one that can take a short play and turn it into 20+ yards. I'm not sure where he'll time, as som much depends on training/technique, maybe 4.46-4.48 or so. He flys on the field though, is very explosive, and has some of the best feet of any receivers in this class.

When compared to Crabtree, Bryant is noticeably faster on film and has a much different style of running with the ball/gaining separation.

thebow305
03-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Please.... fall, fall, fall!!!

bitonti
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
dez bryant is slower than advertised and has huge character and work ethic concerns exposed by his combine interviews. His stock is in a free-fall. Scott has him as a top 5 prospect... seems way high.

FlyingElvis
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Delaying the workout isn't going to hurt him.

How he performs when he finally does work out could hurt him, though. If he shows he's out of shape and is slow in drills he probably falls out of the top 10.

Either way, there's no way in hell he falls past Cincy at 21 and I doubt he makes it that far.

superman
03-09-2010, 11:19 AM
fall to 12, please

Morton
03-09-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm so glad my team is set at wide receiver this year, for once.

yourfavestoner
03-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm so glad my team is set at wide receiver this year, for once.

Me toooooooooo.

Mike Sims-Walker FTW.

ThePudge
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM
dez bryant is slower than advertised and has huge character and work ethic concerns exposed by his combine interviews. His stock is in a free-fall. Scott has him as a top 5 prospect... seems way high.

To that I would say find a highlight tape youtube, watch for about 5 minutes then make the same statement. Bryant's #4 on my Big Board, was a better prospect than Michael Crbatree with fewer questions both on & off the field, and is a potential star NFL receiver. He may very well fall out of the Top 10 but he will be a major steal for whatever teams ends up with him.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if he falls to the the 20s? This wreaks of Randy Moss all over again.

To hell with his timed speed dude is a real game breaker who plays faster than what he is going to time. Plus he adds to the special teams aspect of the game too because he was such a dynamic punt returner as well. I hope he keeps his head on straight when he gets into the NFL

SenorGato
03-09-2010, 12:05 PM

You're probably the only non-NFL insider with any info on this, if I were to believe this to be true. What came up during interviews?

What are the work ethic concerns? The guy just spent 6 months working out for the draft and the NFL...what more work ethic is needed? What poor character does that show?

I highly, highly doubt his stock is in free fall. If "free fall" is "hey, there's a small chance he falls out of the top 10" then sure. Otherwise, no.

Crabtree had a similarly "crappy" offseason (at least the parts open to the public, who live things to sh*t on anyway)...It dropped him all the way to 10.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 12:07 PM
To that I would say find a highlight tape youtube, watch for about 5 minutes then make the same statement. Bryant's #4 on my Big Board, was a better prospect than Michael Crbatree with fewer questions both on & off the field, and is a potential star NFL receiver. He may very well fall out of the Top 10 but he will be a major steal for whatever teams ends up with him.

I agree but WR get over analyzed anyway b/c not eveyone can make the transition to the pros, getting off the jam, reading zones, understanding hot routes.

I know Dez is a pretty physically gifted but I wonder how does he hold up against those pieces of criteria

RealityCheck
03-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Won't hurt him at all.

*prays for him to fall to #22 in a miracle way*

bitonti
03-09-2010, 01:40 PM
You're probably the only non-NFL insider with any info on this, if I were to believe this to be true. What came up during interviews?

What are the work ethic concerns? The guy just spent 6 months working out for the draft and the NFL...what more work ethic is needed? What poor character does that show?

Bryant a long shot? A league source said it would be risky for the Browns to draft Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant with their No. 7 pick. "He could be more of a headache for them than Braylon Edwards was," the source said. Mayock said during a conference call last week that the Browns should take Bryant at No. 7 if he's there, but it's doubtful that will happen. Bryant, who was suspended 10 games for lying to investigators about his dealings with Sanders, doesn't fit the profile of the high-character players sought by Eric Mangini and Mike Holmgren. In fact, three sources told Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports that Bryant is irresponsible. "I wouldn't draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games," one source told Cole. - Mary Kay Cabot, The Cleveland Plain Dealer

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1272524

how many people does it take to wake up a first round draft pick?

lod01
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM

There's this guy named Al Davis in Oakland who lost his mind many years ago. You may want to check out his drafting abilities of late.

FlyingElvis
03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
If the kid is good enough you simply make sure one of the many, many people on the coaching staff does exactly that - wakes him up for all of those things.

YotoJets007
03-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Just because he did not do something what we wanted from him does not mean he has bad work ethic or whatever you discredit him.

bitonti
03-10-2010, 09:05 AM
from NFP today:

Is Dez Bryant's draft stock falling fast?

by Matt Bowen
MARCH 09, 02010

Is the hype surrounding Okie State WR Dez Bryant about to plummet?

When the reports surfaced this morning that Bryant would not work out at his pro day on campus in Stillwater, I started to ask around the league and find out what the true feelings are on what many consider the No. 1 wide receiver prospect in the draft.

We all know about the suspension Bryant had this past season in college, as well as the questionable reports about his dedication to the program, but that is often overlooked when it comes to straight talent leading up to the draft.

However, that isn’t exactly the overwhelming majority vote when you talk to people in the league.

I spoke with several NFL coaches today — as well as a high-level NFL executive — who think that drafting Bryant is a major risk. One coach even brought up the idea that Bryant is not the type of receiver who would catch the ball in between the numbers, which is the same thing as talking about a receiver who will not go across the middle of the field.[/]b

There is no denying that Bryant has raw talent, but [b]whenever I brought up the idea of the WR going in the Top 15 of this April’s draft, it was met with resistance. Bryant is without a doubt a guy who can stretch the field vertically, and he has that playmaking ability to go up and get the football.

But, what about the red zone — where the field shrinks and defenses play with a much more physical style than out in the field? Will he show up?

What Bryant is trying to do by hosting a “private” pro day later in March in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas is create a “buzz” about him. It will be his show only, and he will be the main attraction for scouts.

However, what about the hamstring injury? The same hamstring injury he showed up at the Combine with? Scouts are very cautious when it comes to skill players with hamstring injuries. Is he the type of player that will pull up lame during the second week of camp? If he has a hamstring injury already, can he last a 16-game season in the pros?

it goes on to talk about the impact of rookie WR and teams later in round 1 who could want him...but make no mistake the days of Dez Bryant as a top 5, top 10 pick are long gone.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 09:27 AM
from NFP today:

it goes on to talk about the impact of rookie WR and teams later in round 1 who could want him...but make no mistake the days of Dez Bryant as a top 5, top 10 pick are long gone.

This really doesn't mean anything to me. On film is where your greatest evaluation should always be made, and Bryant's astounding there. He's getting a hard time because he's hurt, not in shape, and hasn't gotten the chance to run/workout for NFL decision makers. If the draft were today, he might not be a Top 15 pick (though I would think Denver at 11, Miami at 12 or Seattle at 14 would have a tough time letting that happen). Alas, it is not, and he has until April to make a good impression.

You have to give the guy time to sit down with teams, workout & interview. At the Combine he flopped in those interviews and carries a lazy reputation from Oklahoma State. Still, despite work ethic concerns I'm still very optimistic about his chances to go high next month. When he works out, then begins making visits & private workouts with teams (in addition to going to dinner, etc.) I expect the fog to clear a bit on hi draft status and I expect he's be right back in that Top 10 discussion with Jacksonville at 10, Buffalo at 9, and Cleveland at 7 looking like possible destinations.

bitonti
03-10-2010, 10:33 AM
On film is where your greatest evaluation should always be made, and Bryant's astounding there..

I agree his film is where the evaluation should be made. but he doesn't have alot of film from 2009.

SenorGato
03-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree his film is where the evaluation should be made. but he doesn't have alot of film from 2009.

All of it's good...and his '08 film is dominant.

Bryant's fine...I love the noise during draft season but I drown it out fairly easily. A good player is a good player is a good player...it's not like he's the first er....egocentric...WR prospect.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 12:04 PM

I agree, there's not a ton there. Still, what we've seen - this 225 pound receiver can move, he's a vertical threat, he's explosive & sudden, he has quick/nimble feet, and he has tremendous hands with a large catching radius. I don't see him as egocentric, just a bit immature/lazy. Once he gets out on to the field I think he'll really establish himself.

If you want to go back on film and look at Bryant, I'd recommend looking at his Punt Returns (where he averaged 15+ and had 2 Tds in 2008.) Those PRs give you a good feel for his feet, explosiveness, and breakaway speed. I think his over-the-middle game will continue to develop with reps and he's shown at 225 that he's fearless in traffic & physical after the catch. A special receiver in my opinion.

FrankGore
03-10-2010, 12:23 PM

Michael Crabtree's supposed problem off the field was that he was a loner and a "diva".

Dez Bryant supposedly showed up late to meetings, practices and even games, on top of accepting gifts outside of the rules and dealing with an agent mediated by Deion Sanders. He was essentially suspended for his entire senior season.

How does that constitute having less questions off the field?

Addict
03-10-2010, 12:29 PM
All of it's good...and his '08 film is dominant.

Bryant's fine...I love the noise during draft season but I drown it out fairly easily. A good player is a good player is a good player...it's not like he's the first er....egocentric...WR prospect.

he wouldn't be the first complete idiot drafted for the position and he won't be the last. This is a position where we've had and have right now dopeheads, loudmouths, crybabies and people named after misspelled numbers. Bryant would be one of the guys.

LizardState
03-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Hell yes the Browns & everybody else with passing game issues is interested in Bryant.

Most interesting but nonetheless trivial stat on him is the size of his hands, they're freaking huge!! PFW's Draft mag said a rival Big 12 coach said "the dude, he's a freak! just all those skills in one body..." Biggest WR hands since Crabtree to whom he's always compared, even in this thread

murdamal86
03-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Me toooooooooo.

Mike Sims-Walker FTW.

Call me crazy but I want us to take Dez if he falls to 10. Not completely sold on Sims-Walker as a legit top tier number 1 nor sold on our depth if he gets hurt (again)

hagy34
03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
You wanna bet?

Ha agreed. And for good reason. Kid has some good stuff on tape. He does make me nervous but somebody is going to pay him a ton of money.

wogitalia
03-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Most polarising draft ever?

You have the Suh vs McCoy crowd. Tebow. Clausen and Bradford. Mount Cody, Bryant, guys like Campbell, Spiller and Best. It just feels like every top prospect this year has some reason you can basically belittle him over and that if you got 10 people in the room they could have 20 different guys as the "top 5" prospects in the draft.

bitonti
03-11-2010, 09:15 AM
just want to point out that NFP article was written by Matt Bowen, a former NFL safety... not some pencil-pusher. he would have insider sources to talk to... and those sources would probably be forthright

in other words whatever we the internetz are thinking about dez bryant, chances are the league thinks something else.

yourfavestoner
03-11-2010, 11:02 AM
just want to point out that NFP article was written by Matt Bowen, a former NFL safety... not some pencil-pusher. he would have insider sources to talk to... and those sources would probably be forthright

in other words whatever we the internetz are thinking about dez bryant, chances are the league thinks something else.

IMO, being a former player doesn't make him any more credible than any other media pundit. Media is media, and information that comes out of front offices simply can't be trusted at this time of year. This entire thing reeks of teams lower in the draft trying to get Bryant to fall to them.

A Perfect Score
03-11-2010, 11:44 AM
This really doesn't mean anything to me. On film is where your greatest evaluation should always be made, and Bryant's astounding there. He's getting a hard time because he's hurt, not in shape, and hasn't gotten the chance to run/workout for NFL decision makers. If the draft were today, he might not be a Top 15 pick (though I would think Denver at 11, Miami at 12 or Seattle at 14 would have a tough time letting that happen). Alas, it is not, and he has until April to make a good impression.

You have to give the guy time to sit down with teams, workout & interview. At the Combine he flopped in those interviews and carries a lazy reputation from Oklahoma State. Still, despite work ethic concerns I'm still very optimistic about his chances to go high next month. When he works out, then begins making visits & private workouts with teams (in addition to going to dinner, etc.) I expect the fog to clear a bit on hi draft status and I expect he's be right back in that Top 10 discussion with Jacksonville at 10, Buffalo at 9, and Cleveland at 7 looking like possible destinations.

This. All you have to do is turn on the tape and see that Dez Bryant is an exceptional WR and a great football player. I personally have him ranked #3 behind the two big DT's as the best prospects in this class. I wouldn't be shocked at all if he goes anywhere from #3 on.

I think alot of these character issues are overblown. Yes, mistakes were made, but there are plenty of elite prospects who choose to forego the combine and proday and hold private workouts. Everything Ive read suggests he handled himself well in interviews at the combine and that he wasnt shy about discussing his past mistakes.

I think on the field, hes bulletproof as a prospect. There isnt anything he cant to on the field.Hes big, fast, catches everything thrown his way, has excellent COD skills and is a very underrated return man to boot. Ive a feeling someone in the top 10 falls in love with that tape and takes him. Ive got him to KC at #5 in my latest mock.

LizardState
03-11-2010, 01:00 PM
The PFW mock has him going to Cleveland @ #7, appropriate since they traded Braylon Edwards away & were like 6th or 7th from the bottom in passing in the NFL. About time they started doing sensible things or just doing the right thing on draft day in Cleveland, where they started bad last yr, got worse (ranked the worst, "a total mess" per SI) by midseason, but finished strong largely thanx to Cribbs who just got a big payday to stay. On the other hand, if they dump Brady Quinn as expected IDK who's going to throw to Bryant ....... are they going to draft Pike from the other end of the state of Ohio in later rounds?

Addict
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM
The browns are in really, really bad shape offensively. The Lions look halfway decent by comparison.

bitonti
03-12-2010, 10:06 AM
IMO, being a former player doesn't make him any more credible than any other media pundit. Media is media, and information that comes out of front offices simply can't be trusted at this time of year. This entire thing reeks of teams lower in the draft trying to get Bryant to fall to them.

de nile aint just a river in egypt

listen im not saying dez bryant stinks... what I'm saying is he's not even close to a top 10 pick anymore... and if Denver doesn't pick him at 11 he could plummet. I liek Dez Bryant more the longer he stays on the board... his value only gets better.

i said in this thread that there were character and work ethic concerns

someone posted back that I was the only one who thought that

then i posted 2 different sources saying the same thing

he still hasn't run... who knows what his speed is...

and still he's an elite player?

gotta be honest about draft value for example I love Terrence Cody but I know he's not a top 10 pick.

FlyingElvis
03-12-2010, 10:14 AM
The problem is that he hasn't actually worked out yet. If he does well at the end of the month when he does work out then teams can breath easier and attribute it to his hamstring injury.

If he works out and looks out of shape, slow and generally unprepared then he will probably see his stock drop. Work ethic is everything, if he shows that his sucks he'll slide.