PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 OLB's: Pass rushers

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Last year, my Packers GM made a brilliant move getting Clay Matthews in a rare, aggressive trade-up, to play OLB in our new 3-4 defense.

He had 10 sacks in about 12 starts, with a few more called back on penalties.

On the other hand, two other higher picks, 3-4 OLBers with supposed better size & speed, Robert Ayers and Larry English, each put up goose eggs in the sack column, nothing. I think Clint Sintim was another guy many people liked for that scheme. I don't know if he did anything, but I didn't hear his name mentioned since the draft.

Brandon Graham
Ricky Sapp
Sergio Kindle
Jerry Hughes

Which guys do you expect immediate impact from getting to QBs from the OLB position? Am I missing any studs? Can the kid from Utah be like Matthews?

Supporting Caste
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
After Suh and Berry, Graham is probably my next 'sure-thing' in the draft. He will rule.

My confidence in 3-4 OLBs goes in this order.

1. Graham
2. Hughes
3. Norwood
4. Gibson
5. Schofield
6. Griffen
7. Kindle
8. Sapp

bigfreak314
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Everson Griffin is another possibility to play 3-4 lb.

Personally I like Graham. If he slips to the Pats I can envision Matthews type rookie impact.

Dude put on a one man show @ Michigan all by his self his JR & SR year.

essential
03-08-2010, 08:02 PM
What about Everson Griffen, could he be a good OLB?

SenorGato
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
1. Graham - He's the safest.
2. Griffen
3. Hardy
4. Norwood (ILB/OLB?)
5. Kindle
6. Hughes
7. Sapp

Probably not how they'll be drafted, and the gap between each isn't huge. Personal preference, I'd rather steal Hardy late than take any of the others early.

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Interesting Kindle and Sapp so low for you two guys.

Griffen worries me a little bit at that position. He kinda reminds me of Robert Ayers.

With Harrison and Dumervil, I kinda like the lower, faster guys coming off the edge with their pad level and quickness.

M.O.T.H.
03-08-2010, 08:20 PM
1. Graham - He's the safest.
2. Griffen
3. Hardy
4. Norwood (ILB/OLB?)
5. Kindle
6. Hughes
7. Sapp

Probably not how they'll be drafted, and the gap between each isn't huge. Personal preference, I'd rather steal Hardy late than take any of the others early.

Norwood could potentially play either but, he's def. more comfortable off the edge and that's where he's at his best. The guy is just a football player though, you can put him anywhere.

OaklandRaider56
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Top five. I'm split between Graham and Hughes at #1.

1.) Graham
2.) Hughes
3.) Norwood
4.) Kindle
5.) Griffen

TACKLE
03-08-2010, 08:29 PM
1. Brandon Graham
2. Jerry Hughes
3. Sergio Kindle
4. Jason Pierre-Paul
5. Everson Griffen
6. Jason Worlids
7. Koa Misi
8. Ricky Sapp

LonghornsLegend
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Sintim never ended up going to the 3-4 since NY took him, but he looked like a beast in limited action. I'm not sure if he'll be a full-time DE(which he looks the part to me), or OLB, but I think he's going to be very sucessful no doubt and is oozing with athleticism.

Outta this list, ironically I have Sapp and Kindle much much higher. Kindle has played in this hybrid D and gotten alot of time in a 3-4 defense, if he goes to a team with a creative defensive coordinator he won't have a hard time making an impact. He wasn't, and still isn't as polished as Orakpo, I mean he was going off of pure athleticism for so long and was a beastly RB/Safety in HS.

He's gotten used to being moved around, rushing standing up, hand in the dirt, from both sides of the line. How many of these guys can you say that about? Those are some of the first things I look for. If a guy has rushed the passer primarily with his hand in the dirt from one side ie Gholston, it's completely different asking him to go to a 3-4 and learn new techniques. I'd at least feel comfortable about Kindle in that he's done it all, has been moved around quite a bit in that scheme already, and has established moves for each side in each stance.

1. Graham
2. Hughes
3. Kindle
4. Griffen(dude was made to play 4-3 End, I wouldn't mess with him here so he's lower)
5. Sapp
6. Norwood
7. Hardy(he's a 4-3 End too, and a weak prospect at that, no way I take him before any of these other guys especially to take the risk in a 3-4)

J-Mike88
03-08-2010, 08:43 PM
1. Brandon Graham
2. Jerry Hughes
3. Sergio Kindle
4. Jason Pierre-Paul
5. Everson Griffen
6. Jason Worlids
7. Koa Misi
8. Ricky Sapp
No Norwood at all?

TonyGfortheTD
03-08-2010, 08:44 PM
In terms of a pure pass-rusher, I'd have to rank Jerry Hughes at the top. He's going to be a beast if a team like the Jets pick him up.

billsfootball15
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
i really think Koa Misi can surprise a lot of people. I feel like a lot of people are underestimating him.

CC.SD
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Last year, my Packers GM made a brilliant move getting Clay Matthews in a rare, aggressive trade-up, to play OLB in our new 3-4 defense.

He had 10 sacks in about 12 starts, with a few more called back on penalties.

On the other hand, two other higher picks, 3-4 OLBers with supposed better size & speed, Robert Ayers and Larry English, each put up goose eggs in the sack column, nothing. I think Clint Sintim was another guy many people liked for that scheme. I don't know if he did anything, but I didn't hear his name mentioned since the draft.

Brandon Graham
Ricky Sapp
Sergio Kindle
Jerry Hughes

Which guys do you expect immediate impact from getting to QBs from the OLB position? Am I missing any studs? Can the kid from Utah be like Matthews?

English had 2 sacks and a bunch of pressures. Anyway I still think Hughes would beast it in a 3-4 with that speed around the edge but of these 4 I'd probably take Kindle.

ThePudge
03-08-2010, 10:05 PM
1st Round
1. Brandon Graham - Michigan (DE)
2. Everson Griffen - USC* (DE)
3. Sergio Kindle - Texas
4. Jerry Hughes - TCU

2nd Round
5. Ricky Sapp - Clemson
6. Koa Misi - Utah

3rd Round
7. Eric Norwood - South Carolina
8. Thaddeus Gibson - Ohio State*
9. Jason Worilds - Virginia Tech*

4th Round
10. Greg Hardy - Mississippi (DE)
11. Jermaine Cunningham (DE)
12. Arthur Moats - James Madison
13. O'Brien Schofield - Wisconsin

5th Round
14. Lindsey Witten - Connecticut (DE)
15. George Selvie - South Florida

TACKLE
03-08-2010, 10:22 PM
No Norwood at all?

That's a personal list, not where I think they will be drafted. I don't see Norwood's skill set projecting to next level and personally think he'll struggle to have an impact as a pass rusher at the next level.

thetedginnshow
03-08-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't really have as much confidence as everyone else with Graham in the 3-4. I don't consider him the same as Woodley. I think he's best suited for the 4-3. When Michigan ran the 3-4 I'm pretty sure he always kicked in to DE. That's just me though. I'd like to see him prove me wrong at his Pro Day.

RaiderNation
03-09-2010, 12:49 AM
So in most everybodies mind Derrick Morgan cant play OLB in a 3-4?

Grizzlegom
03-09-2010, 06:48 AM
This is how I have it as of now, I excluded guys like Morgan, JPP, Dunlap, and Hardy all of which I think could be taken to play there but aren't good fits and I'd hope they get to stay in the 4-3:

1st Round:
1. Brandon Graham, Michigan
2. Sergio Kindle, Texas
3. Ricky Sapp, Clemson
4. Everson Griffen, USC

2nd Round
5. Jerry Hughes, TCU
6. Koa Misi, Utah
7. Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech

3rd Round
8. Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State
9. Eric Norwood, South Carolina

4th Round
10. Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
11. George Selvie, South Florida
12. Arthur Moats, James Madison

5th Round
13. Lindsey Witten, Connecticut
14. O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin
15. Brandon Lang, Troy

RWills
03-09-2010, 07:03 AM
Curran is a 225 pound weakside LB

Brandon Graham, Michigan
Sergio Kindle, Texas
Ricky Sapp, Clemson
Everson Griffen, USC
Jerry Hughes, TCU
Koa Misi, Utah
Eric Norwood, South Carolina
Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State
Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech
Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
Dexter Davis, Arizona
Arthur Moats, James Madison
Cameron Sheffield, Troy
Brandon Lang, Troy
George Selvie, South Florida (This years Bruce Davis)
Lindsey Witten, Connecticut (not sure if he can make the transisition, didnt see him in drills)
Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, Washington (Sleeper)
Kevin Basped, Nevada (Sleeper)
Hall Davis, Louisiana-Lafayette (Sleeper)
O'Brien Schofield, Wisconsin
Albert McClellan, Marshall
Junior Galette, Stillman
Antonio Colemon, Auburn
Adrian Tracy, William & Mary
Dan Batten, South Dakota

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Outta this list, ironically I have Sapp and Kindle much much higher. Kindle has played in this hybrid D and gotten alot of time in a 3-4 defense, if he goes to a team with a creative defensive coordinator he won't have a hard time making an impact. He wasn't, and still isn't as polished as Orakpo, I mean he was going off of pure athleticism for so long and was a beastly RB/Safety in HS.

He's gotten used to being moved around, rushing standing up, hand in the dirt, from both sides of the line. How many of these guys can you say that about? Those are some of the first things I look for. If a guy has rushed the passer primarily with his hand in the dirt from one side ie Gholston, it's completely different asking him to go to a 3-4 and learn new techniques. I'd at least feel comfortable about Kindle in that he's done it all, has been moved around quite a bit in that scheme already, and has established moves for each side in each stance.

Couldn't agree more but with me being UT fan as well I tried to ignore my biases especially since I seen more UT games than any other school. I keep hearing Orakpo was more polished but doesn't Kindle have more exp in coverage? I do believe Orakpo was the better pass rusher

descendency
03-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Everson Griffin is another possibility to play 3-4 lb.

43 LDE. Wasn't good in coverage drills at all.

edit: Why are people so high on Ricky Sapp? He gets washed out in run stopping and has no motor. He has no ability to disengage either. If you lock onto him, he's done. If he can't out run your tackle (which will be rare in the NFL), he is useless.

RWills
03-09-2010, 09:28 AM

edit: Why are people so high on Ricky Sapp? He gets washed out in run stopping and has no motor. He has no ability to disengage either. If you lock onto him, he's done. If he can't out run your tackle (which will be rare in the NFL), he is useless.

Kind of reminds me of most Clemson players

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 09:33 AM

There is/are going to be a coach or coaches that believe they can convert him right away and make him a success.

Grizzlegom
03-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm a Ricky Sapp fan personally. From what I caught of the combine, he seemed to be the most fluid in LB drills (him and Hughes) and he also surprised me with the 23 reps as he showed a bit more strength than i expected. I agree that he's more of a speed/finesse pass rusher but i'm higher on him than others because I think, aside from Kindle and Gibson both of whom already have experience dropping into coverage, he would adapt to dropping in coverage the fastest which makes him more valuable than someone like Griffen who would might be better against the run but I feel would be lost in coverage.

Morton
03-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I think Brandon Graham will be a stud in a 4-3 as a DE, and will struggle a bit in a 3-4.

I think Jerry Hughes will be this year's Clay Matthews in terms of 3-4 OLBs.

J-Mike88
03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
I think Brandon Graham will be a stud in a 4-3 as a DE, and will struggle a bit in a 3-4.

I think Jerry Hughes will be this year's Clay Matthews in terms of 3-4 OLBs.
Hopefully for the same team :)

thebow305
03-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Here is how I'd rank them (Top 20):

1. Sergio Kindle (Most Pro Ready IMO)
2. Jason Pierre Paul
3. Everson Griffen
4. Brandon Graham
5. Derrick Morgan
6. Jerry Hughes
7. Ricky Sapp
8. Eric Norwood
9. Koa Misi
10. Jason Worilds
11. Thad Gibson
12. George Selve
13. Greg Hardy
14. Brandon Lang
15. Willie Young
16. Lindsey Witten
17. Jermaine Cunningham
18. Justin Cole
19. O'Brien Schofield
20. Cameron Sheffield

Supporting Caste
03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
I think Norwood has to be the most pro ready. That guy has done everything well.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 11:20 AM
I think Norwood has to be the most pro ready. That guy has done everything well.

Would he(Norwooď) is the classic example of a player who does everything thing good but wasn't dominant in any one aspect ?

M.O.T.H.
03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Not really...he could be pretty dominant rushing the passer. He's a defensive playmaker...line him up anywhere and he'll make plays for you. He just doesnt have ideal height/bulk for OLB or End, and he's probably not athletic enough or good enough in coverage to play ILB at all times. He's just a good football player.

He could certainly be a full time OLB and most likely will be, but he just doesnt have the best body for it. Which hurts him in this regard. I wouldnt worry about him at all, though. Again, he's just a good football player, he should be very solid anywhere he goes.

Morton
03-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Does anyone else have some potential reservations about Brandon Graham on the next level?

Now I know he was Uber-productive on the college level, and he held his own at the Senior Bowl, BUT let's not forget he's barely over 6'0" tall. I mean, that is really small for the NFL if you're a pass rusher. I know about Dwight Freeney, but still.

Does anyone have a *slight* hesitation about projecting him as a productive player at the NFL level just because he beat Big Ten tackles routinely?

Saints-Tigers
03-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Height is soooo overrated. Brandon Graham will make a great DE, im not sold on him as a LB though.

JPP can't even finish tackles and sacks in the backfield, and people expect him to play in space as an OLB? lolol.

Jakey
03-09-2010, 12:12 PM
1: Brandon Graham
2: Jerry Hughes
3: Sergio Kindle
4: Everson Griffen
5: JPP
6: Eric Norwood
7: Jason Worilds
8: Koa Misi
9: Thad Gibson
10: Ricky Sapp

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Anybody liking Graham playing for the Pats or maybe Baltimore where they can mask any flaws he may have in covering a RB in space by just letting him pinback his ears and get after the QB?

Flashback. Didn't T Suggs play mostly with his hand in the dirt Rookie Season?

Morton
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Height is soooo overrated. Brandon Graham will make a great DE, im not sold on him as a LB though.

JPP can't even finish tackles and sacks in the backfield, and people expect him to play in space as an OLB? lolol.

For some reason I still have a hard time believing a 6'0" guy can go up against some of these 6'6"+ behemoths they have at LT and succeed. Dwight Freeney mostly succeeds, I think, because he has freakish 4.45 speed.

Graham is fast, but not as fast as Freeney.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Anybody liking Graham playing for the Pats or maybe Baltimore where they can mask any flaws he may have in covering a RB in space by just letting him pinback his ears and get after the QB?

Flashback. Didn't T Suggs play mostly with his hand in the dirt Rookie Season?

No. I don't like either of those ideas.

Morton
03-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Or, you know, a team like Philadelphia or Indianapolils could just draft him to play in a 4-3, where he can pin back his ears and go after the QB on every down.

Graham is a pure 4-3 guy in my mind. If you put him in a 3-4, he's not going to be nearly as effective as he would be as a pass-rushing, run-stopping 4-3 DE.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
For some reason I still have a hard time believing a 6'0" guy can go up against some of these 6'6"+ behemoths they have at LT and succeed. Dwight Freeney mostly succeeds, I think, because he has freakish 4.45 speed.

Graham is fast, but not as fast as Freeney.

There is a guy in Denver nicknamed DR Doom in Louisville that is not as fast as Dwight Freeney but led the league in sacks even when people were skeptical about him moving to OLB in the 3-4

bitonti
03-09-2010, 01:01 PM
its a really deep group. there's a player no one's talking about Aaron Morgan of La-Laf who had 22 career sacks... could be a pro-day riser.

I really like Antonio coleman and Jermaine Cunningham... neither are threats to go round 1 or maybe even round 2 but both are serious pass rushers.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 01:08 PM
its a really deep group. there's a player no one's talking about Aaron Morgan of La-Laf who had 22 career sacks... could be a pro-day riser.

I really like Antonio coleman and Jermaine Cunningham... neither are threats to go round 1 or maybe even round 2 but both are serious pass rushers.

Cunningham is big time under the radar. Anybody know if Auston English is still hurt

J-Mike88
03-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Good stuff just today from the National Football Post, on this year's class of 3-4 OLB's.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Impact-potential-of-34-rush-linebacker-class.html

They have Jason "We are the" Worilds at #3. Wow. I gotta study up some more on this guy.

YotoJets007
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
All pass rushing OLBers have promising skills so it does not matter who will have best impact during rookie season. However, it is coaching or scheme we should concern more.

Ayers could sack 10 or more sacks under Capers. Mathews could not do any jack under confusing defense assignment by McDaniels and Nolan.

If must, Larry Hart and Danny Batten are my best bet.

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Couldn't agree more but with me being UT fan as well I tried to ignore my biases especially since I seen more UT games than any other school. I keep hearing Orakpo was more polished but doesn't Kindle have more exp in coverage? I do believe Orakpo was the better pass rusher

Kindle does have more experience in coverage between the two, because Rak Daddy was primarily on the line. Kindle played alot more LB and dropped into coverage alot more when Orakpo was still there, and he played Safety in HS so he has that range. His hips are more fluid then Orakpo, but he still needs to work on his insticts out in the open especially if he's asked to stay with a RB.

Orakpo was more polished as an overall pass rusher and against the run. He had more D-line experience, and just a knack for getting after the QB that Kindle never really learned. He is great at using his athleticism to his benefit and beating lineman but Orakpo was hell bent on doing whatever he had to do to destroy a pocket, alot of times with Kindle you didn't see the same effort or tenacity which you would expect from someone with that sort of athleticism.

He still needs to work on a few more moves, and have someone coach him up at the same position, but he has so many skills and traits to work with in a 3-4 I think he'll be easy to mold into a 8+ sack guy, though I think he'd be a lot better with a scheme like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, NYJ, Dallas then I would Miami or Denver.

Saints-Tigers
03-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I like Kindle as an OLB in the 4-3 and 3-4 more than most.... Idk.

J-Mike88
03-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Do we have any Michigan guys here?

What are your thoughts comparing Graham to Lamar Woodley?
I heard one guy say that he thinks Graham will be better.

For my Packers, the whole focus for me is finding a guy who can beat RTs to the QB like Matthews beats LTs to crush QB's.

ironman4579
03-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I don't really have as much confidence as everyone else with Graham in the 3-4. I don't consider him the same as Woodley. I think he's best suited for the 4-3. When Michigan ran the 3-4 I'm pretty sure he always kicked in to DE. That's just me though. I'd like to see him prove me wrong at his Pro Day.

I think he's actually better suited to play the 4-3 as well, but this had more to do with the fact Michigan had literally no one else that could play the end position and the fact that Graham was such a beast at the spot than any shortcomings on Graham's part.

RWills
03-15-2010, 02:17 PM
The 10 yard splits are starting to surface. 10 yard splits I think it is the most important in the 40 yard dash because it benchmarks your explosion. Here is some info on some of the pass rusher from rotoworld.

Texas OLB/DE Sergio Kindle registered an unimpressive 10-yard split at the Combine at 1.65 seconds.
Some scouts reportedly had Kindle at 1.70 seconds. Kindle's forty time (in the 4.65-4.71 range) was impressive, but he doesn't have as much initial burst as some other elite draft-eligible rushers. The 10-yard split is a pretty well proven test of explosiveness, so Kindle's slow time may hurt him.

Virginia Tech DE Jason Worilds registered the best 10-yard split among pass rushers Combine, timing in at 1.58 seconds.
2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year finalist Clay Matthews had the best 10-yard split (the first 10 yards of the forty-yard dash) at last February's Combine. Other 2010 draft-eligibles with strong split times included Jerry Hughes of TCU and Clemson's Ricky Sapp, who tied behind Worilds at 1.59 seconds.

RWills
03-15-2010, 02:20 PM
here is the actual article

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Behind-the-times-the-10yard-split.html

RWills
03-15-2010, 06:32 PM
I was wondering because I read somewhere that his knee could be problems his whole career.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said on Monday's Path to the Draft program that Clemson DE Ricky Sapp will probably last until round three.

If so, it'd likely be due to concerns about Sapp's knee, in which he tore the ACL at the end of his junior season. When healthy, Sapp is widely considered a first-round talent and ideal fit for 3-4 teams as a rush linebacker. Sapp admitted at the Combine that he played his whole senior year at 60 percent.

YotoJets007
03-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I will only use 10 yard split if I want DE in tampa 2 or Meek system. Also, if you cant find a DE with better package then you can look at this split for any pick after first round.

40 yard dash is overrated because it is a raw part of full package. Only scouts pay attention on breakdown splits like explosiveness(10 yard split) or closing speed (last 20 yards) for specific positions.

That is why I want all splits revealed to public, not just to scouting department.

adamprez2003
03-16-2010, 10:18 PM
I think you have to give the edge to Hughes over Graham. Hughes has better ability to play in space and change of direction IMO. i'M NOT SURE gRAHAM ISNT A BETTER 4-3 DE where Hughes seems the ideal (other than height) WOLB

bored of education
03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
The discussion starts and ends with Jerry Hughes.

holt_bruce81
03-16-2010, 10:30 PM
Can Norwood play in a 4-3?

energizerbunny
03-16-2010, 10:46 PM
I absolutely love Jerry Hughes ability to flip his hips.. I think given a couple of years he may eventually develop into a better coverage linebacker then pass rusher.

As a pure Anchor you can't get much better then Brandon Graham...

There is also growing sediment around the league that Georgia tech's Derrick Morgan can play standing up in the 30 front.

energizerbunny
03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Can Norwood play in a 4-3?

Everydown? doubtful... highly doubtful

Situationally he could bring some heat off the edge for you however.

Clarkw267
03-16-2010, 10:54 PM
3-4 OLBs

1. Brandon Graham
2. Sergio Kindle
3. Jerry Hughes
4. Everson Griffen
5. Jason Worilds
6. Eric Norwood
7. Koa Misi
8. Ricky Sapp

Morton
03-16-2010, 10:55 PM
The best 3-4 rush OLB in this draft class is Jerry Hughes, bar none.

RWills
03-17-2010, 08:06 AM

His ability to anchor the run worries me, not that he will not make it in the NFL, but that my Pats would pass over him because he isn't stout enough for there liking.

YAYareaRB
03-17-2010, 09:50 AM
As a BYU fan.. I'm well aware of what Koa Misi can do. He's gonna surprise a lot of people in the league. He's gonna impress somebody with his motor.

RWills
03-17-2010, 10:21 AM
He impressed me at the Sr bowl, making that transition and coming up with second in tackles. I think he can play strong in a 4-3. 2nd-3rd round mix battling Worilds, Gibson and Norwood

Larry121283
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
1. Graham
2. Norwood
3. Kindle
4. Hughes

J-Mike88
03-17-2010, 05:07 PM
As a BYU fan.. I'm well aware of what Koa Misi can do. He's gonna surprise a lot of people in the league. He's gonna impress somebody with his motor.
Does he remind you of Clay Matthews in that sense?
How would you compare his playing style, effort, to that of Clay?
I admit I've not seen any Utah games too closely.

J-Mike88
03-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Anyone in here seen enough of Thaddeus Gibson and Dekoda Watson to form an educated opinion of what they can bring to the table?
They are mentioned here at The Sporting News Today. http://today.sportingnews.com/sporti...UQ&folio=9#pg9

OLB Dekoda Watson: "has ideal instincts, athleticism to make plays upfield and relentlessness as a blitzer."

OLB Thaddeus Gibson: "He will enter the league equipped with explosion off the snap and expansive pass-rush repertoire."

thetedginnshow
03-17-2010, 09:14 PM
That's probably all Gibson doesn't have.

GoRavens
03-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Here's my take on the first 2 rounds.
3-4 OLBs
1. Brandon Graham- 1st round (10-20)
2. Everson Griffen (more of a 4-3 DE) - 1st round (10-20)
3. Sergio Kindle -1st round (15-25)
4. Jerry Hughes - 2nd round
5. Ricky Sapp - 2nd round

- my personal favorite, Jerry Hughes. I'd love him as a Raven

RWills
03-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Here's my take on the first 2 rounds.
3-4 OLBs
1. Brandon Graham- 1st round (10-20)
2. Everson Griffen (more of a 4-3 DE) - 1st round (10-20)
3. Sergio Kindle -1st round (15-25)
4. Jerry Hughes - 2nd round
5. Ricky Sapp - 2nd round

- my personal favorite, Jerry Hughes. I'd love him as a Raven

There will be more than those 2 in the first round, too many teams looking now.

-Thadeus Gibson / Jason Worilds / Koa Misi / Eric Norwood some of these guys could go in round 2, pending on teams opinions. some will fall to round 3, that just shows how deep this draft is. Round 3 you got guys like Jermaine Cunningham / Brandon Lang and Dexter Davis.

The 3-4 prospects I am intrigued with and would love to get more info on LB drills for the later rounds are guys like...

Arthur Moats / Cameron Sheffield / Daniel Te'o-Nesheim / Lindsey Witten / George Selvie / Kevin Basped / Hall Davis / Nathan Triplett / Junior Galette...

This is how I got these guys ranked. Would like to know all of your opinions on these guys who will go between rounds 4-7

J-Mike88
03-29-2010, 02:14 PM
I posted these in the Hughes thread... anyone want to add some more, be my guest.

3-4 OLB Combine or Pro Day Number Comparisons:

Shawne Merriman 6-4, 272, 4.64, X, X, 4.21 20-shuttle, 25 bench, 40 vertical
LaMarr Woodley 6-1 1/2, 266, 4.74, 2.72, 1.65, 4.42 20-shuttle, 29 bench, 38 vertical,
Vernon Gholston 6-3, 266, 4.65, 2.65, 1.53, 4.40 20-shuttle, 7.12 3-cone, 37 bench, 42 vertical
Larry English 6-2, 255, 4.74, 2.71, 1.59, 4.38 20-shuttle, 7.26 3-cone, 24 bench, 36 vertical
Brian Orakpo 6-3, 263, 4.63, 2.6, 1.56, 4.45 20-shuttle, 7.26 3-cone, 31 bench, 39 vertical
Clay Matthews 6-3, 240, 4.58, 2.68, 1.58, 4.18 shuttle, 6.90 3-cone, 23 bench, 35 vertical
Brad Jones (PD) 6-2 3/4, 232, 4.54, 2.56, 1.59, 4.21 shuttle, 6.75 3-cone, 19 bench, 33 vertical

Jerry Hughes 6-2, 255, 4.65, 2.63, 1.63, 4.15 shuttle, 6.99 3-cone, 26 bench, 34 vertical
Brandon Graham 6-1 1/2, 268, 4.71, 2.69, 1.61, X, X, 31 bench
Sergio Kindle 6-2 3/4, 250, 4.65, 2.69, 1.65, 4.53 shuttle, 7.26 3-cone, 25 bench, 36 vertical
Ricky Sapp 6-3 3/4, 252, 4.65, 2.62, 1.60, 4.41 shuttle, 7.29 3-cone, 23 bench, 34 vertical
Koa Misi 6-2 1/2, 251, 4.75, 2.76, 1.64, 4.27 shuttle, 7.07 3-cone, X bench, 38 vertical

SRogers92
03-29-2010, 02:52 PM
IMO -- Brandon Graham is a pure 43 END ... he can possibly play 34 END, but -- he will be great in a 43 scheme ...

Michigan
03-29-2010, 04:03 PM

Bar none? Care to explain what makes him THAT much better than Graham? 3-4 OLB's also have to play the run, you know. Graham is bigger, just as explosive, and was more productive in college against better competition.

ClayMiller4
03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Brandon Graham has the bulk, burst, mentality, pass rushing repertoire, and strength of a 4-3 end, he simply lacks the height on paper. I'm a huge fan of the guy and he'd beast as a 3-4 OLB rushing the passer due to his motor and instincts, but he lacks the fluid hips and coverage abilities to truly excel there fully. Still feel he's an end. Same with Griffen. He has the athleticism and explosion to play OLB, but he profiles much better on the line. Guys like Morgan, Pierre Paul, and Dunlap have the combination of size and speed perfect for 4-3 DEs and should find their homes in those schemes. My top pure 3-4 OLBs are Hughes and Kindle. Hughes is a very fluid mover that has fantastic pass rushing skills but should be able to cover the space in coverage and pursuit quite well. Kindle has experience at both OLB and DE already, and is a physical talent with well rounded skills. He might be the most pro ready of the bunch due to his scheme experience. Sapp has injury and motor concerns, but he no doubt has all the physical talent in the world. Same with Gibson and Worilds. I also love the mentality and motor that Misi, Norwood and Cunningham bring to the table, as they are just pure football players. Overall, I really feel like this is a top notch crop at the position.

J-Mike88
03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Brandon Graham has the bulk, burst, mentality, pass rushing repertoire, and strength of a 4-3 end, he simply lacks the height on paper. I'm a huge fan of the guy and he'd beast as a 3-4 OLB rushing the passer due to his motor and instincts, but he lacks the fluid hips and coverage abilities to truly excel there fully. Still feel he's an end. Same with Griffen. He has the athleticism and explosion to play OLB, but he profiles much better on the line. Guys like Morgan, Pierre Paul, and Dunlap have the combination of size and speed perfect for 4-3 DEs and should find their homes in those schemes. My top pure 3-4 OLBs are Hughes and Kindle. Hughes is a very fluid mover that has fantastic pass rushing skills but should be able to cover the space in coverage and pursuit quite well. Kindle has experience at both OLB and DE already, and is a physical talent with well rounded skills. He might be the most pro ready of the bunch due to his scheme experience. Sapp has injury and motor concerns, but he no doubt has all the physical talent in the world. Same with Gibson and Worilds. I also love the mentality and motor that Misi, Norwood and Cunningham bring to the table, as they are just pure football players. Overall, I really feel like this is a top notch crop at the position.

Good stuff there Viking fan. I agree with all that, except the overworry about lacking the skills to exel in coverage.... you think about DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Clay Matthews, Lamarr Woodley, James Harrison, Terrell Suggs, etc. and you think about sacks. You want those guys banging into the QB and collapsing the pocket most of the time, and not in a little zone covrage. At times, sure, but they really don't need Deion Sanders ability to simply drop into space. I believe Graham has more than enough ability to make a great OLB in a 34 scheme, hopefully in green & gold ! Same with Hughes. I like both guys chances at stardom in the NFL as OLB.

ClayMiller4
03-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Good stuff there Viking fan. I agree with all that, except the overworry about lacking the skills to exel in coverage.... you think about DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Clay Matthews, Lamarr Woodley, James Harrison, Terrell Suggs, etc. and you think about sacks. You want those guys banging into the QB and collapsing the pocket most of the time, and not in a little zone covrage. At times, sure, but they really don't need Deion Sanders ability to simply drop into space. I believe Graham has more than enough ability to make a great OLB in a 34 scheme, hopefully in green & gold ! Same with Hughes. I like both guys chances at stardom in the NFL as OLB.
I certainly value the ability to create havoc in the backfield more than any other trait for a 3-4 OLB, since I feel the pass rush is the most important part of a defense regardless. I have no doubt Graham can excel as a premier pass rushing OLB in the league. I'm just concerned that he could be a liability when he does drop into that occasional zone coverage and, more importantly, when he is asked to pursue the running back from sideline to sideline as a linebacker on running plays. No matter where you put Graham, he will be an excellent pass rusher and sack master, but his motor, strength, technique, and movement best translate to the defensive line. Hughes, I 100 percent agree on, he looks like a star in the making at OLB.

jetsfan0099
03-30-2010, 03:17 PM
I really want the Jets to get Hughes.

J-Mike88
03-31-2010, 05:54 PM
I really want the Jets to get Hughes.
Packers pick before you and if we don't get Graham, I want Hughes.
I think both guys could be perennial Pro Bowlers in Green Bay's system.
And they'd suddenly make the 4th and 5th corners look worthy of NFL jobs.

LonghornsLegend
03-31-2010, 06:39 PM
I think it depends on the scheme that 3-4 team likes to run, and which player off the edge it is. For Dallas Anthony Spencer is asked to cover alot more then Ware is and that's one of his strong suits is that he can get out there with the RB's in the flat, or a TE in space. He was excellent in coverage before the sacks started to come.

Obviously you can mask that kind of stuff, and if a guy is a good enough pass rusher you'll overlook it, but it's nice to have one guy off the edges with above average pass coverage skills.

J-Mike88
03-31-2010, 10:48 PM
I posted these in the Hughes thread... anyone want to add some more, be my guest.

3-4 OLB Combine or Pro Day Number Comparisons:

Shawne Merriman 6-4, 272, 4.64, X, X, 4.21 20-shuttle, 25 bench, 40 vertical
LaMarr Woodley 6-1 1/2, 266, 4.74, 2.72, 1.65, 4.42 20-shuttle, 29 bench, 38 vertical,
Vernon Gholston 6-3, 266, 4.65, 2.65, 1.53, 4.40 20-shuttle, 7.12 3-cone, 37 bench, 42 vertical
Larry English 6-2, 255, 4.74, 2.71, 1.59, 4.38 20-shuttle, 7.26 3-cone, 24 bench, 36 vertical
Brian Orakpo 6-3, 263, 4.63, 2.6, 1.56, 4.45 20-shuttle, 7.26 3-cone, 31 bench, 39 vertical
Clay Matthews 6-3, 240, 4.58, 2.68, 1.58, 4.18 shuttle, 6.90 3-cone, 23 bench, 35 vertical
Brad Jones (PD) 6-2 3/4, 232, 4.54, 2.56, 1.59, 4.21 shuttle, 6.75 3-cone, 19 bench, 33 vertical

Jerry Hughes 6-2, 255, 4.65, 2.63, 1.63, 4.15 shuttle, 6.99 3-cone, 26 bench, 34 vertical
Brandon Graham 6-1 1/2, 268, 4.71, 2.69, 1.61, X, X, 31 bench
Sergio Kindle 6-2 3/4, 250, 4.65, 2.69, 1.65, 4.53 shuttle, 7.26 3-cone, 25 bench, 36 vertical
Ricky Sapp 6-3 3/4, 252, 4.65, 2.62, 1.60, 4.41 shuttle, 7.29 3-cone, 23 bench, 34 vertical
Koa Misi 6-2 1/2, 251, 4.75, 2.76, 1.64, 4.27 shuttle, 7.07 3-cone, X bench, 38 vertical
Look at Jerry Hughes' shuttle and 3-cone times.
I can't remember if that was his pro day or combine, but those times are phenomenal.
Has he had any serious knee injuries in his career? Any Horned Frog fans here who know?

FrankGore
04-01-2010, 02:25 AM
Does he remind you of Clay Matthews in that sense?
How would you compare his playing style, effort, to that of Clay?
I admit I've not seen any Utah games too closely.

I've only seen him in the Senior Bowl, but the Clay Matthews comparison came to mind instantly. He has that same sort of relentless/reckless desire to get to the QB. Seems like a well-rounded athlete. I'd love to grab him in round 3 instead of 2 though.

J-Mike88
04-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I've only seen him in the Senior Bowl, but the Clay Matthews comparison came to mind instantly. He has that same sort of relentless/reckless desire to get to the QB. Seems like a well-rounded athlete. I'd love to grab him in round 3 instead of 2 though.
A year ago, a lot of fans were saying that about Matthews too.
Many thought that Ted Thompson reached a bit in taking Matthews at #26.
But if the guy is a good or great player, he's worth it.

If Hughes becomes a good to great NFL pass rusher, he's worth a 1st rounder.
There's no way he'll not be taken by the bottom of round 2.

bored of education
04-02-2010, 01:36 PM
The more I watch tape on Thad Gibson the more I love him.