PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Minimize the Likelihoood of Drafting a Bust

wordofi
03-09-2010, 02:22 AM
A lot of people make predictions of whether or not a prospect will be a bust or not. What kinds of things do you look for?

wogitalia
03-09-2010, 03:08 AM
A lot of people make predictions of whether or not a prospect will be a bust or not. What kinds of things do you look for?

Production in college - Generally guys who did nothing in college but test well are red flagged.

Injury History - Is one of the leading causes of busts.

Character Issues - Obvious reasons, a true express train out of the league is legal trouble or being a dickhead in the changeroom or lacking work habits.

Lock those things away and you have a better chance of picking a prospect that wont bust. Throw in how NFL ready they are, picking purely on potential will obviously elevate the bust potential because it is all risk vs reward.

Bengalsrocket
03-09-2010, 03:11 AM

1) work ethic (are there reports of him skipping practices or just being lazy? A desire to be a better player generally means you will be a better player. If you don't care to get better, than there is a good chance your peers will end up being better than you at the next level)

2) Reason for hype (Was his production just so-so in college, but ended up getting tons of hype due to being a workout warrior with crazy measurables?)

2) Character concerns (a lot of people do not like a player who has had a history of problems with authority, both law enforcement and the school [suspensions or even being kicked out])

4) His style of play (i.e. does he do a lot of things that won't work in the NFL, but do work in college due to the overall size of players or lack of talent. This even refers to QBs who can get away with bad mechanics and a lack of ability to read defenses due to a certain offensive scheme and / or the players around him)

Edit:

5) Injuries (thanks Wogitalia for reminding me)

Mr. Goosemahn
03-09-2010, 03:15 AM
Both responses just about sum it up.

I'd add in scheme where he played, self-motivation, and dedication to the game.

Also, if Al Davis really likes him, stay away.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I like Bill Parcels formula for drafting a QB

1.Must be a SR
2. At least a 3 yr starter
3. Must win at least 23 games
4. A college graduate

That is formula is a pretty successful one if you go back and look at the top tier QBs in the league I.E Peyton Manning, Drew Brees. Sorry Jamarcus Russell.

Rosebud
03-09-2010, 08:09 AM
To me the big thing is character and if a guy has NFL talent. IF you have NFL talent and will bust your ass a player probably won't bust, injuries could change that but predicting injuries is a ***** and a half.

Honestly it's hard to know who'll be a bust until they've already been picked because many players will bust if they land in the wrong scheme, with bad coaches or on a poorly assembled roster, so knowing where a player will be playing is IMO the most important factor in figuring out who'll bust.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-09-2010, 08:37 AM
If the lions are willing to draft him, avoid at all costs(except for Megatron)

Morton
03-09-2010, 10:49 AM
The Raiders formula:

1.) 40 time
2.) How many reps on the bench press?
3.) 40 time
4.) Is he a big hitter if he's a safety? Does he have a strong arm if he's a QB?
5.) What was that 40 time again? 4.28? Draft him in the first round immediately!

^ That, btw, is the exact flowchart that Al Davis uses on draft day.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
The Raiders formula:

1.) 40 time
2.) How many reps on the bench press?
3.) 40 time
4.) Is he a big hitter if he's a safety? Does he have a strong arm if he's a QB?
5.) What was that 40 time again? 4.28? Draft him in the first round immediately!

^ That, btw, is the exact flowchart that Al Davis uses on draft day.

Lmao! But so true