PDA

View Full Version : Best value prospects in the 4th-7th round

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
*The deepest position by far late in the draft is the receiver position, not many great ones in this draft but depending on how the draft goes some very good players could be around late. There are some great small fast playmakers in A. Brown, T. Brown, J. Ford, D. McCluster and B. Banks. The star potentially is Mike Williams but he could be taken in the 3rd round but I would not be surprised to see him drop. Players like B. White, C. Mitchell, Ajirotutu or C McGaha could be big time steals as well.
WR
1)Mike Williams Syracuse
2)Jacoby Ford Clemson
3)Freddie Barnes Bowling Green
4)Antonio Brown Central Michigan
5)Riley Cooper Florida
6)Tim Brown Rutgers
7)Rich Gunnell Boston College
8)Dexter McCluster Ole Miss
9)Danario Alexander Missouri
10)Blair White Michigan State
11)Carlton Mitchell South Florida
12)Seyi Ajirotutu Fresno State
13)Chris McGaha Arizona State
14)Shay Hodge Ole Miss
15)Marcus Easley UCONN
16)Kerry Meier Kansas
17)Nyan Boateng Cal
18)Alec Arnett West Virginia
19)Brandon Banks Kansas State
20)Jameel Sewell Virginia

*The second most impressive group I feel are the tight ends, some very great players could be taken late. I always love big strong blocking tight ends and there are a few of them with Byham, Boone, Eldridge, Ballard, Cottam and Piurowski. Boone especially has such outstanding athletic ability and size, much like Jason Peters coming out of Arkansas. Graham could go earlier but I could see him dropping as well potentially. Some very fine pass catching tight ends in Dickson, Slate, Peek, Cumberland and Palmer. Forgot him but Eldridge is a big time player and could be the best blocking tight end or full back in this draft, big time steal there.
TE
1)Jimmy Graham Miami FL
2)Garrett Graham Wisconsin
3)Nate Byham Pitt
4)Ed Dickson Oregon
5)Brody Eldridge Oklahoma
6)Cody Slate Marshall
7)Colin Peek Alabama
8)Greg Boone Virginia Tech
9)Dedrick Epps Miami FL
10)Jake Ballard Ohio State
11)Jeff Cumberland Illinois
12)Michael Palmer Clemson
13)Alejandro Villanueva Army
14)Jeron Masturd Kansas State
15)Jeff Cottam Tennessee
16)Andrew George BYU
17)Jim Dray Stanford
18)Caz Piurowski Florida St.

After those two positions it takes a little step back in terms of quality depth. But still some talented players out there.

*Could get a big steal with Starks because he is coming off an injury, same with Johnson, both are good fast big backs. I really like Bradford and think his tough running style will make him a good player at the next level. Other good talents are Carter, James and Upchurch, all players can do a variety of things.
RB
1)James Starks Buffalo
2)Stafon Johnson USC
3)Allen Bradford USC
4)Brandon Minor Michigan
5)Delone Carter Syracuse
6)Charles Scott LSU
7)Javarris James Miami FL
8)Roy Upchurch Alabama
9)Shawnbrey McNeal SMU

*Big time players could be taken late, in terms of an athlete Geathers is a 1st round pick, huge player but has not always played that well. Basped as well is a potential freak and is very talented. Then you have strong ends in Jorgensen and Deaderick that are both fine players and Alem is a sleeper as a pass rusher. Few years back Ray Edwards was a physical built DE that dropped because of average play and now he is a star because he always had that build and these guys have that.
DE
1)Clifton Geathers South Carolina
2)Kevin Basped Nevada
3)Rahim Alem LSU
4)Brandon Deaderick Alabama
5)Broderick Stewart Vanderbilt
6)Jan Jorgensen BYU

*Big time player in Collins, could play DE in a 3/4 as well, very talented and he is a flat out steal. Same with Fitzgerald, star player, people might forget him but he is very talented. Then you have Neal who is very strong at the point of attack.
DT
1)Nate Collins Virginia
2)Jeffrey Fitzgerald Kansas State
3)Mike Neal Purdue
4)Nathan Pepper South Carolina
5)Jaron Baston Missouri
6)Abe Koroma Western Illinois
7)Mick Williams Pitt

*We all know Sylvester will drop because of his 40 time but the kid can make plays and is a great player. Could be a real steal late, same thing can be said for Stamper, Lawrence and Edds. And Coleman has great potential as an athletic linebacker.
OLB
1)Stevenson Sylvester Utah
2)Rico McCoy Tennessee
3)Phillip Dillard Nebraska
4)Ryan Stamper Florida
5)Simoni Lawrence Minnesota
6)AJ Edds Iowa
7)Harry Coleman LSU
8)Cory Reamer Alabama

*Very good value here, a lot of good solid players that are strong at the point of attack. Lee will drop because of injury history, Triplett is a flat out playmaker and should be a great pickup, same with McLaughlin.
ILB
1)Joe Pawelek Baylor
2)Sean Lee Penn State
3)Nathan Triplett Minnesota
4)Mike McLaughlin Boston College
5)Pat Angerer Iowa
6)Micah Johnson Kentucky
7)Adam Dunn Pitt
8)Ryan Reynolds Oklahoma

*Not a great selection late after all the good corners get picked up earlier. Lewis is one that might slip through the cracks, same with Virgil, he is a very good player. Verner is small but his quickness could do some things and guys like Chancellor underachieved but have some physical ability.
CB
1)Myron Lewis Vanderbilt
2)Stephan Virgil Virginia Tech
3)Alterraun Verner UCLA
4)Brandon Ghee Wake Forest
5)Traye Simmons Minnesota
6)Sherrick McManis Northwestern
7)Chris Chancellor Clemson
8)Cassiue Vaughn Ole Miss

*Burnett is the big one, he could easily drop coming out early, but he is a good player just came out at the wrong time, given time to develop he could be very good. They will say guys like Coleman and Harris cannot cover, but both are strong in the box and are smart players, especially Coleman. Then the two Northwestern safeties should be fine pickups late.
SS
1)Morgan Burnett Georgia Tech
2)Brad Phillips Northwestern
3)Kurt Coleman Ohio State
4)Will Harris USC
5)Brendan Smith Nortwestern

*Some very good players here, I think guys like Johnson are big time talents that get no attention at all. Woodall is a stud but again because of the depth at the top he will drop a little, still is a fine player. Morley is the big steal here, sure has issues behind him but he is a great safety potentially if his head is on straight.
FS
1)Robert Johnson Utah
2)Justin Woodall Alabama
3)Van Eskridge East Carolina
4)Aaron Webster Cincinnati
5)Demetrice Morley Tennessee
6)Josh Pinkard USC

*Depends on who drops, but some solid players here, Robinson would be a good value late that is for sure. J. Brown and Perrilloux have great athletic ability and upside as project quarterbacks. Lewis is an interesting talent and Reesing would be a wonderful third string quarterback, is far better than past career third stringer Brooks Bollinger.
QB
1)Zac Robinson Oklahoma State
2)Levi Brown Troy
3)Sean Canfield Oregon State
4)Jarrett Brown West Virginia
5)Ryan Perrilloux Jackson State
6)Taddeus Lewis Duke
7)Todd Reesing Kansas
8)Kevin Craft UCLA

Now I have not covered them all but here are the players that stood out to be that could very easily be around come the 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th round.

DiG
03-09-2010, 09:51 AM
shhhh keep quiet about rob johnson.

the_dark_knight
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
What about Taylor Price? Do you view him as a round 3 or higher Guy?

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 10:37 AM
What about Taylor Price? Do you view him as a round 3 or higher Guy?I have not seen him play much at all, but from just looking at his build and his 40 time, I bet he could go in the 3rd round as a potential athlete. But yes he could drop a little and he would be included, but I only included players I have seen and players I am familiar with.

Babylon
03-09-2010, 10:37 AM
If Jimmy Graham and Riley Cooper are there at the top of the 4th sprint to the podium.

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 10:43 AM
If Jimmy Graham and Riley Cooper are there at the top of the 4th sprint to the podium.Agreed, however just because of Gates, basically any tight end who played basketball will be consider a potential star tight end. With Graham, everything to love is his size and supposed athletic ability, but take away the fact he played basketball, I do not think so many people would be excited about him. But yes in terms of potential, he sure does have talent, but clearly does not hurt being that tall and athletic.

Heck I bet that Army tight end Alejandro Villanueva will get drafted just because he is 6-10 280 and has some potential clearly. Why not in the later rounds, and the fact he went to Army does not hurt him at all, if anything it helps him.

Forgot, I should include him into this list.

Note: Also forgot Brody Eldridge, wonderful blocking tight end and will be a flat out steal late. Heck he even has offensive line experience, great blocking tight end right there.

ThePudge
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Cody Slate over Colin Peek doesn't seem very likely. Marshall's Slate has done nothing to stand out in the post-season, while Peek has raised eyebrows. Slate looks like a 7th-UDFA, Peek a 3rd-4th Rounder.

Rich Gunnell & Tim Brown are very high in your receiver notes. I don't think either will receive any consideration before the 6th, but I'd expect both 7th-UDFA. Carlton Mitchell and Dexter McCluster look like solid 4th Round picks as DMC brings that value at RB/PR. Blair White and Shay Hodge are two guys that easily bring me more value in the 5th than Brown/Gunnell.

Behind the times on Joe Pawalek who looked like a future 2nd/3rd Rounder a year ago but will now have trouble being drafted. I expect late round consideration and I wouldn't rank him ahead of Lee, who may crack the 3rd.

I don't know where your QB rankings are but I noticed Jevan Snead was at the top of the 2nd in your Mock Draft. Snead, after drawing 1st Overall talk a year ago, more or less **** the bed this year. Don't expect him to come off the board until at least the 4th-5th and maybe not even until the late rounds. Craft, Reesing, Lewis won't get picked even on the Third Day. Jarrett Brown is a sleeper to sneak into the 3rd, though I like him in the 4th. Fordham's John Skelton is another to keep an eye on.

Stamper, McCoy, etc. > Iowa's A.J. Edds won't happen on draft day. Edds had a nice week in Mobile, then again in Indy; he looks like he could go as early as the Mid-Late 3rd but is more likely in the Earl-Mid 4th. Stamper/McCoy weren't invited to the Combine & failed to establish themselves as anything higher than late round players. I'd be surprised if Ryan Stamper was drafted before the 7th.

I wouldn't say Clifton Geathers is any crazy athlete. He's not explosive and he's not fast off the edge. He is, on the other hand, HUGE at 6'7 299+ with unbelievable 37 3/4" arms. He's seen almost exclusively as a mid-late round developmental 5-Tech. I'd expect Geathers off the board in the 6th personally.

I know what you said in your mock, and I agree that anyone can alter rankings to make them their own. As someone that does all his own rankings, and has been doing so for years, I'd definitely urge you to use some of the resources the internet gives us. There's no reason you shouldn't read the evaluations of others, whether you disagree or agree. There's a lot of good free material out there and the very least you could do is read prospect interviews/rumors as to where players are going. Cutting yourself from the process is not how you get the most accurate draft predictions and often you can see significant trends in the hype wave. Just a suggestion from one guy to another, it could help you out a bit & broaden your work.

Babylon
03-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Agreed, however just because of Gates, basically any tight end who played basketball will be consider a potential star tight end. With Graham, everything to love is his size and supposed athletic ability, but take away the fact he played basketball, I do not think so many people would be excited about him. But yes in terms of potential, he sure does have talent, but clearly does not hurt being that tall and athletic.

Heck I bet that Army tight end Alejandro Villanueva will get drafted just because he is 6-10 280 and has some potential clearly. Why not in the later rounds, and the fact he went to Army does not hurt him at all, if anything it helps him.

Forgot, I should include him into this list.

Note: Also forgot Brody Eldridge, wonderful blocking tight end and will be a flat out steal late. Heck he even has offensive line experience, great blocking tight end right there.

Graham's 38 vert,4.6 40 and 10ft jump convinced me. He was always a physical guy.Personally i'd take him over Gresham and Hernandez.

Supporting Caste
03-09-2010, 11:10 AM
Mike Williams will go undrafted.

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 11:35 AM
ThePudge
Cody Slate over Colin Peek doesn't seem very likely. Marshall's Slate has done nothing to stand out in the post-season, while Peek has raised eyebrows. Slate looks like a 7th-UDFA, Peek a 3rd-4th Rounder.Well that is possible, I have Slate that high because the few times I saw him play he seemed to have some athletic ability to him, but yes these are not in stone rankings by any means

Rich Gunnell & Tim Brown are very high in your receiver notes. I don't think either will receive any consideration before the 6th, but I'd expect both 7th-UDFA. Carlton Mitchell and Dexter McCluster look like solid 4th Round picks as DMC brings that value at RB/PR. Blair White and Shay Hodge are two guys that easily bring me more value in the 5th than Brown/Gunnell.Dexter is a hard call because as a WR he is not that good but as a RB at Ole Miss he was dominating, but what are the chances he is a 3rd down back in the NFL if he cannot block anyone. Interesting player though. Gunnell I clearly like more than a lot of people, I think he is a fine route runner, and had a great year when BC had awful quarterback play. Sure he might drop but I bet he has a chance to become a player. Agree with White and Hodge, I like them both, wish Hodge was a little stronger though.

Behind the times on Joe Pawalek who looked like a future 2nd/3rd Rounder a year ago but will now have trouble being drafted. I expect late round consideration and I wouldn't rank him ahead of Lee, who may crack the 3rd.Agreed he might be drafted in the 3rd but not many people are talking of him, and of course he is ahead of Lee because of Lee's injury history

I don't know where your QB rankings are but I noticed Jevan Snead was at the top of the 2nd in your Mock Draft. Snead, after drawing 1st Overall talk a year ago, more or less **** the bed this year. Don't expect him to come off the board until at least the 4th-5th and maybe not even until the late rounds. Craft, Reesing, Lewis won't get picked even on the Third Day. Jarrett Brown is a sleeper to sneak into the 3rd, though I like him in the 4th. Fordham's John Skelton is another to keep an eye on.They are at the bottom of the page. Reesing I bet gets picked, the others yeah that is true but Reesing has a chance late, again how is he not better than Bollinger? Skelton I have heard a lot about but never seen him. And yes Snead is a question mark, but I love the kids arm and just because he had a poor year does not mean he cannot develop. Sadly he should have came back for another year, but he has the talent to be a 1st or 2nd round pick if you just look at his ability. He has other question marks but still, good player and his skill set is so much better than say, Colt McCoy.

I wouldn't say Clifton Geathers is any crazy athlete. He's not explosive and he's not fast off the edge. He is, on the other hand, HUGE at 6'7 299+ with unbelievable 37 3/4" arms. He's seen almost exclusively as a mid-late round developmental 5-Tech. I'd expect Geathers off the board in the 6th personally.The huge part is very key, but yes he is not Peppers, but ran a pretty solid 40 for a guy his size I must say. And as a projection and developmental guy I like him a lot

I know what you said in your mock, and I agree that anyone can alter rankings to make them their own. As someone that does all his own rankings, and has been doing so for years, I'd definitely urge you to use some of the resources the internet gives us. There's no reason you shouldn't read the evaluations of others, whether you disagree or agree. There's a lot of good free material out there and the very least you could do is read prospect interviews/rumors as to where players are going. Cutting yourself from the process is not how you get the most accurate draft predictions and often you can see significant trends in the hype wave. Just a suggestion from one guy to another, it could help you out a bit & broaden your work.Very true, and I am thankful for all your comments, however this is a hobby of mine and I do not believe in copying others work. Anyone can do that, change it and call it their own, if I had a site, then yes but I do not and this is just fun for me. NFL Network would be lovely, then I could actually watch the combine, that would be magical. haha Should check out NFL.com, they have videos of the workouts correct?

SenorGato
03-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Some favorites:

Deaderick - Remember when everyone loved him?

Vince Oghobaase
Lindsey Witten
Antonio Coleman
Willie Young
Boo Robinson
Carlton Mitchell
Shay Hodge
Blair White
Sam Maxwell (probably UDFA, maybe)
Micah Johnson
Kendrick Lewis

Basically there's a boatload...

batsandgats
03-09-2010, 12:17 PM
No way Edds falls past the 3rd.

Jakey
03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
TJ Ward! This kid is gonna be a beast.

Hines
03-09-2010, 12:37 PM
It's Adam Gunn, not Dunn.

ToldLikeItIs
03-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Edds is gone mid rd 2.

K Train
03-09-2010, 01:32 PM
i highly doubt mike williams goes undrafted, although i think he could fall into the adarius bowman category who was a first round talent at one point but went undrafted to the CFL

Al woods for the win btw

RealityCheck
03-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I totally forgot Demetrice Morley was on the draft.

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 03:10 PM
SenorGato Some favorites:

Deaderick - Remember when everyone loved him?

Vince Oghobaase
Lindsey Witten
Antonio Coleman
Willie Young
Boo Robinson
Carlton Mitchell
Shay Hodge
Blair White
Sam Maxwell (probably UDFA, maybe)
Micah Johnson
Kendrick Lewis

Basically there's a boatload...
Shoot I forgot about Witten, he will be a great pickup late. Antonie Coleman not a huge fan of but at least is a 3/4 OLB project, same with Willie Young, but he had quite a down year. Kendrick Lewis I like as well but ran a bad 40 which will hurt him.

Jakey TJ Ward! This kid is gonna be a beast.I would be shocked if he did not go in the first three rounds.

ToldLikeItIs Edds is gone mid rd 2.That many people like him, what because of his coverage ability? I think it is more to do with the fact that there are few to no outside linebackers that are any good outside of Weatherspoon, Washington and Bowman.

wicket
03-09-2010, 03:37 PM
No great value on the OLine?

btw Allen Bradford didnt go pro right?

Don Vito
03-09-2010, 03:51 PM
A power running team could get some nice value in John Jerry, he showed some ability to move around for a big guy in Indy that few thought he had. He played RT for the bulk of his career here, but when he kicked inside to RG the second half of this season he showed that he can be a force. Plus it helped mask some of his issues with speed rushers, but I think he could thrive at RG for a team like Pittsburgh.

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 04:28 PM
wicket wicket No great value on the OLine?

btw Allen Bradford didnt go pro right?That is true, my mistake Bradford is a RS junior and could come back, hope he does being a USC fan, he is a fine running back, my mistake.

As for the O-Line, well there are plays but all the stars I feel will be gone by the first three rounds.

If I were to make a list though this is what it would be

4th-7th round OL talent.

Have big players but all are just projects, none are dominating but a few to get excited about. Calloway I have always liked and he could play more than one position, Young is a giant and has played a lot of football, he could be a great steal late. Very impressed with Beadles at times and you have really big boys in Wilson, King and Tepper. Smith is a fine player as well but has a injury history. Most of these guys late will just get picked because of their size and potential because of the size, like Terrence Pennington of New Mexico a few years back.
OT
1)Kyle Calloway Iowa
2)Sam Young Notre Dame
3)Adam Ulatoski Texas
4)Zane Beadles Utah
5)Calvin Wilson Southern Miss
6)Chris Scott Tennessee
7)Jarriel King South Carolina
8)Mike Tepper Cal
9)Allen Smith Stanford
10)Jeff Lunkenbach Cincinnati
11)Paul Duncan Notre Dame
12)Mark Ortmann Michigan

Jerry could drop or get picked up, but if he drops he is by far the best player, could play OT maybe as well. The rest are average players at best, Render is solid and so is Costa, but nothing amazing and doubt they become stars.
OG
John Jerry Ole Miss
Sergio Render Virginia Tech
Dace Richardson Iowa
Phil Costa Maryland

Great center in Tennant, he is a 3rd round talent to me, big man and very talented, but could drop and be a flat out steal. Love Hickman and Allen as well, could be very solid player potentially.
C
Matt Tennant Boston College
Jacob Hickman Nebraska
Sean Allen East Carolina

Clearly none of these lists have the depth of the other positions, and again I say all the good players should be gone within the first three rounds. It is a top heavy draft for offensive tackle, a lot of fine players but later on not so much, and guard and center is not very deep at all, guard has a few good players but that is it.

Supporting Caste
03-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I really like Chris Scott as a guard.

K Train
03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
A power running team could get some nice value in John Jerry, he showed some ability to move around for a big guy in Indy that few thought he had. He played RT for the bulk of his career here, but when he kicked inside to RG the second half of this season he showed that he can be a force. Plus it helped mask some of his issues with speed rushers, but I think he could thrive at RG for a team like Pittsburgh.

o0o give me some jerry in the third...get essex and stapleton out of there (both servicable but mainly pass blockers on the interior which doesnt matter if hartwig is playing since hes a revolving door)

id like that alot, id hate iupati in the first, love jerry in the third to put an end to the urbik experiment

21BoysFan21
03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
To me any discussion about "values" at RB in the late rounds has to include LaMarcus Coker RB Hampton. This kid has legitimate sub-4.3 speed and is going to be a helluva steal for someone. Especially in a draft full of only adequate speed at the RB position.

KennyPowers
03-09-2010, 06:25 PM
torell troup

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
o0o give me some jerry in the third...get essex and stapleton out of there (both servicable but mainly pass blockers on the interior which doesnt matter if hartwig is playing since hes a revolving door)

id like that alot, id hate iupati in the first, love jerry in the third to put an end to the urbik experimentI agree with this a lot, Essex and Stapleton are just not that good, flat out and they need some help at those positions. Pouncey I think could be good for them, or Anthony Davis because he could play guard or tackle potentially. And the guy from Idaho is always an option as well. They will get one for sure though, it is a must.

Texas Homer
03-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Texas LB Roddrick Muckelroy might be available in the 4th round.

He is a under rated LB in my opinion.

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Texas LB Roddrick Muckelroy might be available in the 4th round.

He is a under rated LB in my opinion.He is a very underachieving prospect in my opinion, never really reached his potential. I would take any of those guys I listed ahead of him.

Texas Homer
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
He is a very underachieving prospect in my opinion, never really reached his potential. I would take any of those guys I listed ahead of him.

I've heard that Muckelroy is a mid-round guy.

I can tell you put a lot of effort into your list.Nice job.

If I had to guess on Muck, then I'd guess that he would go somewhere in the 4th round.

I'm with you on Riley Cooper and Kurt Coleman. I like them both.