PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best deep safety type

jetsfan0099
03-09-2010, 10:09 AM
In this draft to replace Kerry Rhodes on the Jets assuming we don't get a veteran? Someone that we actually could get, because I know Berry is a stud but we have no chance at getting him.

Whats the ins and outs on Taylor Mays, could he be effective? I hear rumblings that he won't be a good safety but then others say he will be a good safety and has great range out there.

Do you think a coach like Rex Ryan and DB coach like Dennis Thurman will be able to bring out the best in a player like Mays? He has impressive physical tools. Plus he'll have 2 top notch cover CBs.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Some of the knocks I heard, although I don't mind it, is that he is a Bob Sanders type player, in the sense he will not go for the interception but the big hit instead. With him being a lot bigger than Bob Sanders I dont think he has to worry about being injured all the time like Bob. I also here his instincts are off, he bites hard on play fakes. Poor angles taken because he wants to deliver the big hit but that can be coached.

D-Unit
03-09-2010, 10:26 AM
I bet the Jets draft Reshad Jones and break my heart into pieces. :(

Totally their kind of player.

bitonti
03-09-2010, 10:34 AM
I dont believe the Jets traded Kerry Rhodes because they were planning on using a first rounder to replace him.

Morton
03-09-2010, 10:45 AM
I heard they're going to get OJ Atogwe from the Rams.

Last I heard from Adam Schefter, actually.

thebow305
03-09-2010, 10:53 AM
I heard they're going to get OJ Atogwe from the Rams.

Last I heard from Adam Schefter, actually.

God I hope not!

ElectricEye
03-09-2010, 11:03 AM
Taylor Mays is unreal as a deep cover safety. He doesn't have ball skills, but in terms of closing and making it hard to complete passes, he's probably the best in the draft.

thenewfeature06
03-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Berry isn't impossible to get. Jets traded up last year, though it was for Sanchez they could do the same but less likely. As for the replacement for Rhodes, depending on who is there in the 1st you might be able to wait till round 2 to get a guy like Reshad Jones/Major Wright/Morgan Burnett/Nate Allen

thetedginnshow
03-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm fairly sure we're not looking for a center field type Safety.

SenorGato
03-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Kendrick Lewis in the 5th or 6th. That guys a player...this years Rashad Johnson.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Kendrick Lewis in the 5th or 6th. That guys a player...this years Rashad Johnson.

What did Rashad do as a rookie? Was he a steal? i kno a lot of teams were down on him b/c of his 40

jetsfan0099
03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm fairly sure we're not looking for a center field type Safety.

Why not? Kerry Rhodes last year played deep safety pretty much. Our other safeties don't have the range to cover deep. We will add another safety somewhere, be it a veteran or a rookie.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Why not? Kerry Rhodes last year played deep safety pretty much. Our other safeties don't have the range to cover deep. We will add another safety somewhere, be it a veteran or a rookie.

Rex values versatility. Evaluating a player solely in one respect isn't the way to go about it, because someone with limitations in another aspect of play would be seen as a liability. So you should be asking about who are the most well-rounded football players.

derza222
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM

I'd imagine that with the current pair of corners and the reasons Rhodes didn't fit in all that well last year, physicality will be at a premium. Granted, the ability to cover and make plays on the ball will be important as well, but I still think picking a guy with a physical nature will be very important. I know TTGS love Morgan Burnett who can do both. So not that they'd be looking for pure in the box SS type, but you need a guy who can do a little of both as TTGS said instead of a pure centerfield type.

I think D makes a great point about Reshad Johnson. Obviously he's not perfect but I think with his violent nature he could excel on this defense. Atogwe would be interesting as well since that would fill the team's biggest need, but I don't think they're going to meet his contract demands with a bunch of guys on the team in line for new deals soon. I'd imagine they'll grab somebody in rounds 2-5 and try to plug him in right away, and if he doesn't work out just let Smith start.

jetsfan0099
03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Rex values versatility. Evaluating a player solely in one respect isn't the way to go about it, because someone with limitations in another aspect of play would be seen as a liability. So you should be asking about who are the most well-rounded football players.

But if you view Rex Ryan's defense he always had a guy at FS that has range, you don't want all slow guys. You need someone that can patrol out there and make plays.
On our roster right now the one thing we don't have out of a safety is the ability to cover ground.

Leonhard is good at what he does but he doesn't have the ability to play that role and same with Eric Smith.

bitonti
03-09-2010, 12:56 PM
to answer the original poster... outside of Mays and Berry... who are both able to cover tons of ground... I think the best cover safety is Jerome Murphy of USF... also if you want to consider UVA Chris cook a safety he can definately cover... but might actually be a cornerback.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2010, 01:04 PM
But if you view Rex Ryan's defense he always had a guy at FS that has range, you don't want all slow guys. You need someone that can patrol out there and make plays.
On our roster right now the one thing we don't have out of a safety is the ability to cover ground.

Oh, I know. I never said we don't need that. I just said that in asking what you asked, you might be misled, as people are solely telling you who are the best deep cover Safeties, when in fact I believe that isn't all the Jets are looking for.

wogitalia
03-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I would think that Ryan would be looking to get an Ed Reed type to "complete" the defense.

Still, if they use a 1st rounder on a safety, that defense will have scary amounts of talent.

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I would say these players are all pretty good deep safeties, especially Nate Allen.

Taylor Mays USC
Nate Allen South Florida
Reshad Jones Georgia
Robert Johnson Utah
Aaron Webster Cincinnat
Josh Pinkard USC
Anderson Russell Ohio State
Demetrice Morley Tennessee
Aairon Savage Auburn

CC.SD
03-09-2010, 10:50 PM
It's probably worth noting that in Taylor's junior season the USC defense gave up zero bombs. If deep ball defense is your requirement, TM is your man.

Hawk
03-09-2010, 11:22 PM
I would say these players are all pretty good deep safeties, especially Nate Allen.

Taylor Mays USC
Nate Allen South Florida
Reshad Jones Georgia
Robert Johnson Utah
Aaron Webster Cincinnat
Josh Pinkard USC
Aairon Savage Auburn

Really? I mean really?

How was his senior season?

Paranoidmoonduck
03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Of the upper tier guys, I think Mays, Thomas, and Allen all represent decent choices for that role in a defense. I still think Mays can be a spectacular deep safety and I like Allen a fair amount for that role. Thomas has great instincts for the position, but he is going to be out-jumped in that role. There a chance he'd take to playing face up in the NFL better.

thetedginnshow
03-10-2010, 12:24 AM

Taylor Mays USC
Nate Allen South Florida
Reshad Jones Georgia
Robert Johnson Utah
Aaron Webster Cincinnat
Josh Pinkard USC
Aairon Savage Auburn

You must be high. Anderson Russell is good at nothing.

Don Vito
03-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Taylor Mays, he may be a bit of a workout warrior but he showed he can be the last line of defense at USC. They ran a lot of cover 1 with just him back there; like EE said he may not have elite hands and ball skills but his size, ability to cover a lot of ground very quickly, and hitting make him special.

BigBanger
03-10-2010, 01:02 AM

Taylor Mays USC
Nate Allen South Florida
Reshad Jones Georgia
Robert Johnson Utah
Aaron Webster Cincinnat
Josh Pinkard USC
Aairon Savage Auburn
The two guys bolded are the only ones that have a chance. I'd also add Major Wright along with the top 2 Safeties in the draft. After that? Good luck.

If you draft Josh Pinckard, Anderson Russell, Demetrice Morley, Aairon Savage and think you're getting anything more than a guy you're going to cut during the preseason, then God help ya.

Stranger
03-10-2010, 01:52 AM
What did Rashad do as a rookie? Was he a steal? i kno a lot of teams were down on him b/c of his 40

He played so well we felt the need to trade for Rhodes.

FUNBUNCHER
03-10-2010, 06:18 AM
Mays is still the best pure deep cover safety in the draft, if you're looking for someone to prevent completions over the top of a defense; if a WRs breaks free, Mays is probably the only guy on the field with the recovery speed to prevent a reception for a score.

The criticisms of Mays are more based on the fact that he's an imperfect pro prospect given his superhuman measurables. Still, he's a 10 year starter from day One in the NFL.
As a general football fan, I'd just like to see him improve his ball skills. If he's capable of having a Bob Sanders type impact on a D, his value goes even higher in this draft.

Ozzy
03-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Really? I mean really?

How was his senior season?Talent is talent, and to say he has none is ridiculous. I have always liked the kid, could he be a bust, sure but when you get him in the 6th or 7th round who cares anyway, worth a shot or worth a shot as an undrafted free agent.

P-L
03-10-2010, 10:07 AM
People are down on Taylor Mays because he isn't much of a playmaker and sucks in man coverage. However, if you need a safety whose primary responsibility is to sit back and prevent the big play, he's your guy.

AdropOFvenom
03-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I would say one thing is a Rhodes replacement HAS to be able to cover a Tight End. Kerry spent quite a bit of time matched up against the higher-end Tight Ends in the league. Be it Dallas Clark in the AFCCG, or Antonio Gates in the Divisional Round and held them to games below their norm (At least until the Jets went into a soft zone and allowed Gates to pile up the yards late). Nate Allen seems to be my early favorite for a replacement (Obviously because I don't believe Berry or Thomas are feasible options at #29, and I'm not big on Mays).

yourfavestoner
03-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I still maintain that the best role for Mays is exactly the way Indianapolis uses Bob Sanders.

Keep him underneath on 1st and 2nd downs to stop the run, then let him kill anything that tries to come into his deep half of the field on 3rd down. Forcing him to play back all the time is a waste of his run stopping potential.

ElectricEye
03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I still maintain that the best role for Mays is exactly the way Indianapolis uses Bob Sanders.

Keep him underneath on 1st and 2nd downs to stop the run, then let him kill anything that tries to come into his deep half of the field on 3rd down. Forcing him to play back all the time is a waste of his run stopping potential.

Thing is, honestly think that's the worst part of his game. He should be great as a run stuffer but I don't really see it when I watch him. He doesn't wrap up properly, although he has improved this year. He certainly doesn't mind sticking his nose in the back field, something that's lost about him is how physical and nasty he can be...but I don't know. He would have some major league whiffs if he were asked to stop the run for two downs. I would prefer to keep him deep at FS and ask him to help stop the deep passing game. I suppose he's so raw that he could go either way at this point, but right now I'm a lot more comfortable with him playing centerfield and destroying receivers. It's so rare to see a guy who is 6'3 230 be able to run with the DeSean Jackson's of the world. Just keep him out of man, like P-L said.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-10-2010, 12:35 PM

And I would maintain that if you're comparing Taylor Mays right now to Bob Sanders in 2004, I don't think there's much of a comparison to draw. I think both are capable of handling the role of taking a step backwards as a free safety and then coming downhill in run support, using their speed to take more direct angles and prevent runs from turning into bigger plays. But if we're talking about the Bob Sanders who played maybe 5-8 yards off the LOS and spent most of his weaving through traffic to blow up runs in the backfield, I don't think Mays is that guy.

descendency
03-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Elite range, no football skills when he gets there. That's what I see from Mays when I look at some of his USC stuff.

Then you look at the Senior Bowl where he played well in my opinion.

I think he'll be a surprise to some team how coachable he is. If you have a good DB coach, I think you could get away with a reach for him because he could turn into a great deep safety.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Mays play on field reminds me all too much of LaRon Landry both the good and very bad.