PDA

View Full Version : JPP vs. Demarcus Ware

Morton
03-09-2010, 12:15 PM
I saw some analysts in one of these draft videos comparing Jason Pierre-Paul to DeMarcus Ware when he came out in the 2005 draft. Small school product, tremendous ceiling, similar measurables, etc.

Is this analysis accurate? Does anyone remember if Ware came out of college as a very productive player or simply a raw prospect with tremendous upside?

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 12:22 PM
No Ware was dominant I believe like 10 sacks his last year when he was already on everybody's draft radar. I think JPP is more athletic but Ware was bigger and to me has the better motor although I admit I have not seen that many USF games this year.

Ware used to dominate games, but I believe most of his games were against lower level teams and they played in the Sun Belt conference as opposed to playing in the Big East, where USF is.

40 time wise JPP is faster but who keeps track of those things anyway haha:cool:

M.O.T.H.
03-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Ware was extremely productive at Troy but, he made his money at the combine. His performance was nothing short of exceptional. He went from a 3rd/4th round type of prospect to a 1st rounder.

JPP may have an upside similar to Ware's but, Ware was def. more ready than JPP was at this point. Looking at the LB drills alone, JPP looked good but, was a bit shaky here and there. Where as Ware, was extremely fluid and he really set himself apart from the others at the combine.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-09-2010, 12:45 PM
They don't have similar measurables. When I saw Ware's combine workout, I thought I was looking at a wide receiver's numbers. Pierre-Paul proved he's not really that kind of athlete.

thebow305
03-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Sergio Kindle may be a more accurate comparison for Ware than JPP.

RealityCheck
03-09-2010, 12:47 PM
First of all, shame on you for calling USF a small school.

And Ware actually produced some big nubers in college, unlike JPP.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 01:03 PM
40 time wise JPP is faster but who keeps track of those things anyway haha:cool:

Correction Ware was faster as well 4.56 at the combine, 4.53 at his pro day

SenorGato
03-09-2010, 01:16 PM
That just seems disrespectful.

Morton
03-09-2010, 01:17 PM
They don't have similar measurables. When I saw Ware's combine workout, I thought I was looking at a wide receiver's numbers. Pierre-Paul proved he's not really that kind of athlete.

Ware was that good at the combine? I mean, everyone was saying JPP really impressed at the combine too.

I didn't watch the combine in 2005, so I'll have to trust you on that one.

K Train
03-09-2010, 01:21 PM
ware looked like a pure manchild at the combine....

also ware is not nearly as stupid as JPP

thebow305
03-09-2010, 01:37 PM
ware looked like a pure manchild at the combine....

also ware is not nearly as stupid as JPP

Why is JPP stupid?

K Train
03-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Why is JPP stupid?

hes just dumb, like very poorly educated. i mean i know theres alot of dumb athletes, but it doesnt hurt to be smart in life and be smart on the field. i just feel like he doesnt react well. not the most important thing but JPP has poor instincts imo and hes dumb as a brick, blitzes and assignments might be a big process for him to learn if he doesnt go somewhere where he can pinn his ears back and get the QB.

then again james harrison is really dumb too and hes a ******* beast.

D-Unit
03-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Ware actually burst onto the scene at the Senior Bowl. The combine was very good for him. But even on draft day, he was considered the risky pick and a bit of a reach. The surefire guys were rating Merriman higher. In fact, even after their rookie year's the Merriman gang looked to be more correct. People didn't start believing in Ware until his breakout 22 sack season. Before then, he was still a potential guy.

As for JPP, he's a 4-3 DE. I don't think he has the range to play OLB like Ware... especially in coverage.

M.O.T.H.
03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Yeah Ware was fantastic at the senior bowl as well. Dropping jaws with how quick he was off the ball.

Manny Lawson pretty much followed Ware's path a few years later.

Halsey
03-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Now that Ware is an established NFL star, everyone knew he was a great prospect. That's not the way it was in 2005, but hindsight has a way of changing history. The fact is many people were skeptical of the way he seemingly came out of nowhere. If JPP turns out to be a star, many people will be telling you they knew all along. ;)

bigbuc
03-09-2010, 02:37 PM

I don't like Jpp, but when Ware came out he was 250 pounds. Jpp is 270... And ran a 4.65 to me that's flying.

LonghornsLegend
03-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Now that Ware is an established NFL star, everyone knew he was a great prospect. That's not the way it was in 2005, but hindsight has a way of changing history. The fact is many people were skeptical of the way he seemingly came out of nowhere. If JPP turns out to be a star, many people will be telling you they knew all along. ;)

Nobody is saying Ware was this great prospect, D just said most people had Merriman rated higher. But his Senior Bowl & Combine solidified what type of prospect he was. Risky as he was, someone with those type of measurables wasn't under the radar at all, but he was never considered a sure thing.

GoRavens
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I can't believe you put "vs."
Demarcus Ware teabags JPPs face

thebow305
03-09-2010, 09:47 PM
hes just dumb, like very poorly educated. i mean i know theres alot of dumb athletes, but it doesnt hurt to be smart in life and be smart on the field. i just feel like he doesnt react well. not the most important thing but JPP has poor instincts imo and hes dumb as a brick, blitzes and assignments might be a big process for him to learn if he doesnt go somewhere where he can pinn his ears back and get the QB.

then again james harrison is really dumb too and hes a ******* beast.

But my question is, how do you know he's stupid? It seems really out there that you would assume that. Are you deducing this from anything or are you just guessing this?

frubulubu
03-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Give the guy two years in the NFL. Then it would be fare to compare.

Ozzy
03-09-2010, 10:42 PM
I saw some analysts in one of these draft videos comparing Jason Pierre-Paul to DeMarcus Ware when he came out in the 2005 draft. Small school product, tremendous ceiling, similar measurables, etc.What an awful person to compare Pierre Paul too, Ware is a stocky power rusher that has speed. Pierre Paul is a tall lengthy athlete, long arms that uses his overall athletic ability and quickness, not power. They should not be compared at all in my opinion, two totally different player I feel.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-09-2010, 11:18 PM
What an awful person to compare Pierre Paul too, Ware is a stocky power rusher that has speed. Pierre Paul is a tall lengthy athlete, long arms that uses his overall athletic ability and quickness, not power. They should not be compared at all in my opinion, two totally different player I feel.

Just curious, how do you draw the line between "lengthy" and "stocky" between two prospects who are 6/10" apart in height, especially when the "lengthy" is the one who's 20 lbs. heavier?

AntoinCD
03-10-2010, 05:17 AM
But my question is, how do you know he's stupid? It seems really out there that you would assume that. Are you deducing this from anything or are you just guessing this?

It was reported before the combine that JPP was going to score a single digit Wonderlic. I think that's where the stupid thing is coming from

JJJ888
03-10-2010, 05:55 AM

I'll be the first to admit that I HATED Ware coming out...I'm pretty sure I remember D, kwhy, and I all distressing over picking him over Merriman. In fact, I'm pretty sure I fell out of my chair I was so upset.

D-Unit
03-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I'll be the first to admit that I HATED Ware coming out...I'm pretty sure I remember D, kwhy, and I all distressing over picking him over Merriman. In fact, I'm pretty sure I fell out of my chair I was so upset.
I didn't hate him. But I was skeptical of his meteoric rise. For me, it was one of those situations where... once he became a Cowboy, I had to jump on his bones and protect him from the doubters... in doing so... made myself a believer. Funny how that works. Since kwhy didn't like him, naturally... I had to love him. ;)

nepg
03-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Hard to compare the two until a Pro Day. The new 40 track (last two years) is much slower than what Ware ran on.

JJJ888
03-10-2010, 04:58 PM
I didn't hate him. But I was skeptical of his meteoric rise. For me, it was one of those situations where... once he became a Cowboy, I had to jump on his bones and protect him from the doubters... in doing so... made myself a believer. Funny how that works. Since kwhy didn't like him, naturally... I had to love him. ;)

I was in the same boat, as far as the jumping on the Ware bandwagon. Funny, that's when the whole split with kwhy hating the Cowboys and Parcells and generally being negative began. Before that he and I were together on almost every issue Cowboys related.

superfly69
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Pierre-Paul is a more pure DE then Ware was coming out of college. But I think Ware was a more fluid player which is why he transitioned to OLB so easily. I don't know if JPP has that kind of pure fluidity. I think he might be one of those guys who is just better moving forward, then having to master playing on his heals the way Ware has.