PDA

View Full Version : Mayocks new Rankings - Post combine

scpanther22
03-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Tyson Alualu over Brian price?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816d2ea9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

DiG
03-09-2010, 01:11 PM
hes still got mccoy over suh. what is he thinking having joe mcknight that high. i dont understand lee over spikes either. and wtf is he doin still having thomas over berry. i used to respect mayok a lot more. now hes just trying to be different.

Babylon
03-09-2010, 01:13 PM
McCluster and McKnight over Gerhart. All i can say is wow!

thebow305
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Mayock's pretty spot on usually. I'm a little surprised to see guys like Decker, Major, Lee, and Alualu so high on his lists though.

RealityCheck
03-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Asamoah, Beadles and Johnson over Ducasse is stupid.

thebow305
03-09-2010, 01:20 PM

Ducasse is so overrated right now it's ridiculous.

bigfreak314
hes still got mccoy over suh. what is he thinking having joe mcknight that high. i dont understand lee over spikes either. and wtf is he doin still having thomas over berry. i used to respect mayok a lot more. now hes just trying to be different.

Yea he been saying Thomas was better than Berry for a while. I don't see how because even though I am a big Longhorns fan, Berry played in the box dude was really physical and a hard hitter. Coming up and hitting the likes of
6'3 250 lbs guys, Tebow.

Both are pretty equal on ball skills but thats my opinion.

Morton
McCluster and McKnight over Gerhart. All i can say is wow!

Mayock is not that great at evaluating running backs.

His strengths in evaluating are at the DB and DE position, imho.

Morton
03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Yea he been saying Thomas was better than Berry for a while. I don't see how because even though I am a big Longhorns fan, Berry played in the box dude was really physical and a hard hitter. Coming up and hitting the likes of
6'3 250 lbs guys, Tebow.

Before the combine I was starting to buy into the Thomas hype as the #1 safety but after Eric Berry just dominated the combine, I have a hard time understanding why Mayock *still* ranks Thomas higher.

Don't get me wrong, I think Thomas is top 20 talent also, but Berry is just soooo NFL-ready. No way is Thomas better than Berry right now.

thebow305
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I love that he has "Bey Bey" so high. I agree. I think Benn may go higher, but Thomas is easily as talented, maybe more.

ThePudge
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
He really is jumping the gun on Dorin Dickerson. Thomas over Berry isn't the best. Alualu over Price doesn't sit well with me either. Very average rankings from a guy who's looking more and more like he does these more for attention/raction more than anything.

Babylon
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Mayock is not that great at evaluating running backs.

His strengths in evaluating are at the DB and DE position, imho.

I've never seen what his strengths are actually.

K Train
03-09-2010, 01:46 PM
i love me some mcluster.

duccasse is so overrated, 3rd round guard imo

spikes>lee

anthony davis>trent williams even though williams was impressive

i think warren should be the #5 corner, but thats just me

Grizzlegom
03-09-2010, 02:12 PM
None of his rankings are really that ridiculous to me although I strongly disagree with having McKnight, Beadles, and Chad Jones in the top five at their positions.

iowatreat54
03-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I love that he has "Bey Bey" so high. I agree. I think Benn may go higher, but Thomas is easily as talented, maybe more.

Considering Thomas was in an offense that never threw, and in one season he almost outproduced Benn's career. I agree with this statement.

However, I also think Benn is just an athletic freak, and not really a WR. Mainly because WRs are supposed to catch balls, something Benn isn't really good at.

princefielder28
03-09-2010, 02:38 PM
I don't have many problems with his rankings. I don't understand how Major Wright is a top 5 safety.

CC.SD
03-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Lee over Spikes is just absurd.

Saints-Tigers
03-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Mayock is a tard that is seeking attention now.

superman
03-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Before the combine I was starting to buy into the Thomas hype as the #1 safety but after Eric Berry just dominated the combine, I have a hard time understanding why Mayock *still* ranks Thomas higher.

Don't get me wrong, I think Thomas is top 20 talent also, but Berry is just soooo NFL-ready. No way is Thomas better than Berry right now.

exactly what i was thinking. berry showed up bigger and faster at the combine. and we all know he's proven more on the field.

JFLO
03-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Tyson Alualu is a beast and will make for a heck of a pro...

I don't know if he's ranked better than Brian Price as a prospect, but I think Alualu will be a very valuable player in the NFL.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Decker being a T5 guy, but Decker is the one player out of the wide receiver group who will surprise some people.

FlyingElvis
03-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I still like Mayock and don't really have issues with his rankings. He has consistently said Berry and Thomas should both end up as great pro players and doesn't see a big gap between them, but he thinks Thomas has better instincts.

And many of the guys he seems to rank ahead of players that are "clearly better" (:rolleyes: it is evaluation and predictions people) are guys that he was higher on to begin with. So guys he liked before the combine who did well at the combine move higher for him than they would for other "experts" because he talked them up and they backed up his hype.

Self aggrandizing? Sure, I can buy that. But he doesn't need to do things differently just to get attention. He gets the attention anyway because he's the resident expert for NFLN.

Michigan
03-09-2010, 04:18 PM
where are the punter rankings?!?!

FUNBUNCHER
03-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Mayock when evaluating prospects only looks at their previous season, not their entire college career. Understandable, given the volume of prospects he has to evaluate, but I think it gives him an incomplete picture on a player.

That's why he could see a player like DE Robert Ayers last year for the Vols and project him as a high 1st rounder off one game against Alabama as a senior, and forget the fact he hadn't done jack his entire career at Tennessee.

Mayock would have you believe Eric Berry didn't play college football until his junior season, and has no idea why Berry began the 2009 season as one of the top pro prospects regardless of position.
How anyone could describe another DB as more 'instinctive' than Berry given his body of work the last three years is just totally bizarre to me.

We'll have to wait and see about which player emerges sooner in the NFL between Suh/McCoy, but for my money, right now Suh is just a better pure football player. His feel for the game in the trenches is rare and about 5 notches higher than McCoy right now.
When you saw Suh play last season for Nebraska, he rarely overran a play, and seemed to always be around the football or either was forcing the action back to his teammates.

Simply put, Suh had a much greater overall impact on the play of the Huskers D than McCoy had for OU.

I appreciate thoughtful, well supported opinions because it forces me to re-calibrate my own, but I think Mayock would be better served if for the top pro prospects, he did more than just look at film from their last season in college.

EDIT: Unless Joe Haden tears up his 40 at UF's Pro Day, I bet that Wilson and McCourty get picked before he does.

Supporting Caste
03-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Mayock is really good at quarterback but that's...about...it.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80406b71&template=with-video&confirm=true

Spectre
03-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Mayock has Ducasse listed as a tackle. On one of his first lists, Ducasse was 5th on the OT list. All he did here was bump Campbell and Brown over him.

That said, I still think Mayock tries too stupid much to differentiate himself from the other talking heads. Some of his stuff is ridiculous and is meant just to get a reaction.

thetedginnshow
03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Mayock is really good at quarterback but that's...about...it.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80406b71&template=with-video&confirm=true

Did he really mess up that much? That didn't seem that bad.

Beyond Wright, Benn (but everyone likes him), and McKnight, I don't see a whole lot wrong.

Addict
03-09-2010, 05:54 PM

I noticed he keeps saying he feels Earl Thomas is the best instinctive safety in the draft.

However, keep in mind that much like Scott's rankings Mayock's are just indication of how he feels they rank, not how he feels they'll be drafted per say.

scpanther22
03-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Tyson Alualu is a beast and will make for a heck of a pro...

I don't know if he's ranked better than Brian Price as a prospect, but I think Alualu will be a very valuable player in the NFL.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Decker being a T5 guy, but Decker is the one player out of the wide receiver group who will surprise some people.

How much better do you think Alualu is better than Lamaar Houston?

brasho
03-09-2010, 08:30 PM
How much better do you think Alualu is better than Lamaar Houston?

I fail to see how McCoy is any better than Lamarr Houston. Houston had, by far, the best bowl game of any DT in the country. Then he had a great Senior Bowl and week, and blew up the combine. His stats for the year were far superior to McCoy's plus he did all this despite playing DT for only his 2nd season (after two seasons as DE and FB).. I see nothing but upside for Houston.

I think in the long run, Houston has a more productive career than McCoy.

I think Alualu might edge out Houston because of scheme versatility, Houston is pretty much a 1-gap DT, while Alualu is a 1-gap DT or a 5-tech DE.

CC.SD
03-09-2010, 08:53 PM
McCoy is a beast in ways that don't really show up in the numbers, but I still feel like if you have him over Suh you are overthinking things.

Saints-Tigers
03-09-2010, 08:58 PM
McCoy is a beast in ways that don't really show up in the numbers, but I still feel like if you have him over Suh you are overthinking things.

Agreed, but at the same time, McCoy seems like he's so universally accepted as an elite prospect by everyone, that no matter what happens, people won't put anything as a knock against him.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2010, 04:18 PM
I noticed he keeps saying he feels Earl Thomas is the best instinctive safety in the draft.

However, keep in mind that much like Scott's rankings Mayock's are just indication of how he feels they rank, not how he feels they'll be drafted per say.

This is a perfect point. Right now Mayock is just saying these are the players he prefers and would be the 1st to admit, they could be drafted in a different order. Mayock has his own preferences for the type of prospect he likes at different positions. i.e. He definitely prefers TE's who can block, RB's who can run the ball inside the tackles, etc. etc. etc.
In cases like Berry vs Thomas, they both will be drafted quite high but he prefers Thomas because he finds him a more instinctive player. In his final rankings or mock, he may well put Berry ahead of Thomas even though he likes Thomas better.
Ditto for McCoy vs Suh. Suh is a 5th year player who is certainly a top 1/2 prospect in the draft but his upside doesn't match McCoy who is declaring as a junior and is ranked right there with Suh at 1/2. A 5th year Senior prospect is pretty well, you get what you see, which in Suh's case is a very nice player who can be a star at the next level, but when you consider that McCoy as a junior is right there with him at 1/2 but as a college junior has yet to reach his potential, his upside could be off the top. Add in the fact that most NFL people think McCoy will be the better pass rusher and you can see how Mayock is thinking.
Mayock is simply the best in the business at breaking down film on players and giving us an insight into how teams are viewing prospects. Not only does he have ready access to many GM's and scouts, and unlike most of the gurus who are in the same business, Mayock played pro football and knows what it takes to play up there.
I don't think he rates 3-4 players as well as 4-3 players because he played in the 4-3 days and his assessment of 3-4 players isn't as solid. However, when it comes to QB's, RB's and linemen both offensively and defensively, he is pretty well right on. He is also pretty solid on CB's. I still remember his love for Ryan QB, Atlanta, when a lot of people thought he was off base and his dislike of McFadden RB, Oakland, who hasn't lived up to his hype. And I could go on and on about all his right predictions compared to a very low failure rate. There is simply no one in the business who carries as much respect as Mayock and almost every guru to a man will alter their rankings based on what Mayock has to say.

prock
03-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Mayock's pretty spot on usually. I'm a little surprised to see guys like Decker, Major, Lee, and Alualu so high on his lists though.

Decker should be number 1 overall! Just kidding, but seriously, I don't get his rankings. He is just trying to create controversy.

yourfavestoner
03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
This is a perfect point. Right now Mayock is just saying these are the players he prefers and would be the 1st to admit, they could be drafted in a different order. Mayock has his own preferences for the type of prospect he likes at different positions. i.e. He definitely prefers TE's who can block, RB's who can run the ball inside the tackles, etc. etc. etc.
In cases like Berry vs Thomas, they both will be drafted quite high but he prefers Thomas because he finds him a more instinctive player. In his final rankings or mock, he may well put Berry ahead of Thomas even though he likes Thomas better.
Ditto for McCoy vs Suh. Suh is a 5th year player who is certainly a top 1/2 prospect in the draft but his upside doesn't match McCoy who is declaring as a junior and is ranked right there with Suh at 1/2. A 5th year Senior prospect is pretty well, you get what you see, which in Suh's case is a very nice player who can be a star at the next level, but when you consider that McCoy as a junior is right there with him at 1/2 but as a college junior has yet to reach his potential, his upside could be off the top. Add in the fact that most NFL people think McCoy will be the better pass rusher and you can see how Mayock is thinking.
Mayock is simply the best in the business at breaking down film on players and giving us an insight into how teams are viewing prospects. Not only does he have ready access to many GM's and scouts, and unlike most of the gurus who are in the same business, Mayock played pro football and knows what it takes to play up there.
I don't think he rates 3-4 players as well as 4-3 players because he played in the 4-3 days and his assessment of 3-4 players isn't as solid. However, when it comes to QB's, RB's and linemen both offensively and defensively, he is pretty well right on. He is also pretty solid on CB's. I still remember his love for Ryan QB, Atlanta, when a lot of people thought he was off base and his dislike of McFadden RB, Oakland, who hasn't lived up to his hype. And I could go on and on about all his right predictions compared to a very low failure rate. There is simply no one in the business who carries as much respect as Mayock and almost every guru to a man will alter their rankings based on what Mayock has to say.

I'd actually say that DBs are his strongest forte.

The best analysis of a DB prospect I've ever seen given was Mayock's breakdown Corey Webster's after the senior bowl practices. Summed him up by saying that he's strictly a man-press corner and will be lost playing in off-man and zone coverages. Absolutely 100% dead on analysis.

Also, you're right about his rankings being different from where he thinks a player will be selected. If I remember correctly, he had Aaron Rogers as a 1a/1b prospect with Alex Smith and said whichever QB wasn't selected by SF could freefall in the draft. He also nailed it his Donte Winter to Buffalo prediction.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2010, 07:33 PM
I'd actually say that DBs are his strongest forte.

The best analysis of a DB prospect I've ever seen given was Mayock's breakdown Corey Webster's after the senior bowl practices. Summed him up by saying that he's strictly a man-press corner and will be lost playing in off-man and zone coverages. Absolutely 100% dead on analysis.

Also, you're right about his rankings being different from where he thinks a player will be selected. If I remember correctly, he had Aaron Rogers as a 1a/1b prospect with Alex Smith and said whichever QB wasn't selected by SF could freefall in the draft. He also nailed it his Donte Winter to Buffalo prediction.

He often proves to be correct in his analysis but when he does his final mock he feels compelled to slot players where he thinks they will be drafted rather than following his own list, simular to Scott. I still remember he hated McFadden, RB Oakland and ranked him far lower than where he was bound to be picked but in his final mock he moved him up to where he believed he would be drafted even though he thought he wouldn't be much of a player.

FUNBUNCHER
03-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Iamcanadian, even as a RS, Suh is roughly a year and one month older than McCoy, who graduated HS I believe at 19 yearsold.

SO let's not start calling Suh 'grandpa' and maxed out as a player.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Iamcanadian, even as a RS, Suh is roughly a year and one month older than McCoy, who graduated HS I believe at 19 yearsold.

SO let's not start calling Suh 'grandpa' and maxed out as a player.

Nevertheless, McCoy could have played 2 more years of college ball. Generally a 5th year senior is close to maxed out as a prospect as you can get. Remember, I didn't downgrade Suh as a prospect and said he could be a star in the NFL and I agree he is a top 1/2 player talent in the draft along with McCoy. I just think a lot of people associated with the NFL believe McCoy has the higher upside. They are both expected to be huge stars at the next level.

FUNBUNCHER
03-10-2010, 08:43 PM
McCoy had one full year of eligibility left, if he took a RS he would be in college 2 more years, but on the field for only one more full season.