View Full Version : QB Wonderlic Scores

soybean
03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Saw this on Around the Horn, pretty interesting IMO:

Tim Tebow - 22/50
Jimmy Clausen - 23/50
Colt McCoy - 25/50
Sam Bradford - 36/50

Among the high scores in recent years: Drew Henson (42), Alex Smith (40), Eli Manning (39) and Charlie Frye (38). The next group includes quarterbacks like Tony Romo (37), Matt Leinart (35), Kellen Clemens (35). Then you have Drew Brees (28), Jay Cutler (26), Carson Palmer (26), Ben Roethlisberger (25) and Byron Leftwich (25). And from there,
we find guys like Tarvaris Jackson (19), Vince Young (16), Dan Marino (16), Jim Sorgi (15) and David Garrard (14).

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/qb-or-not-qb-wonderlic-test-pr.html

RealityCheck
03-10-2010, 04:31 PM
I expected better from Timmy.

hagy34
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I hate the wonderlic.

prock
03-10-2010, 04:32 PM
I don't really care about the Wonderlic.

BufFan71
03-10-2010, 04:34 PM

why
he got an 890 on the SAT

RealityCheck
03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
idk why, just expected better from him.

iowatreat54
03-10-2010, 04:35 PM
While it doesn't really equate to football success, it does tell you how smart some guys are.

I mean, from the practice tests and "similar tests", the wonderlic doesn't seem that hard. Idk how you score less than half on it, anyways.

soybean
03-10-2010, 04:37 PM
so i guess this means that tebow is more than twice as smart as vince young.

EDIT: whoops i mean almost 4 times as smart.

ThePudge
03-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Good score for Bradford, pretty much just another positive note to put up there. I don't think Clausen, Tebow, or McCoy could hurt at all by their scores and none of them fit the un-intelligent mold.

murdamal86
03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
oh gosh, people are about to make a story out of Tebow's wonderlic in 3,2,1....

iowatreat54
03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
oh gosh, people are about to make a story out of Tebow's wonderlic in 3,2,1....

It doesn't really effect how he plays football, but yea, he's pretty dumb apparently.

Then again, getting into college with an 890 SAT is pretty impressive.

yourfavestoner
03-10-2010, 05:32 PM
I thought everybody already knew that Tebow was stupid. And I'm a Florida fan.

Geason Noceur
03-10-2010, 05:33 PM
It doesn't really effect how he plays football, but yea, he's pretty dumb apparently.

Then again, getting into college with an 890 SAT is pretty impressive.

Not impressive at all actually. What is impressive is how many strings the coaches have to pull in order to get the university to accept some of these folks with pitiful scores.

Caulibflower
03-10-2010, 05:39 PM
Didn't Matthew Stafford score like a 40 last year?

Caulibflower
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
*38, per wikipedia.

Geason Noceur
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
None of the scores surprise me, specially Tebow's. I thought Bradford would have scored higher since we've been hearing how highly intelligent he was from Sooner fans. He's also been preparing for the draft and all the tests since like October so I expected something between 38-44.

Shane P. Hallam
03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
These are all well above the range of concern. None are bad scores.

Mr.Regular
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Agreed. Sure, it's nice to have a really high score, but I think the only time the Wonderlic should really affect your stock is if the score is alarmingly low, which none of these are.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Just for shits and giggs, anyone know what Jamarcus Russel got on this?

Babylon
03-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Vince Young got a 6. Beat that.

yourfavestoner
03-10-2010, 06:14 PM

24, according to multiple sources on a google search.

Russell isn't stupid. He's just incredibly lazy.

Complex
03-10-2010, 06:16 PM
HOF Alex Smith got a 40......

jth1331
03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
None of the scores surprise me, specially Tebow's. I thought Bradford would have scored higher since we've been hearing how highly intelligent he was from Sooner fans. He's also been preparing for the draft and all the tests since like October so I expected something between 38-44.

I honestly thought Bradford would've gotten a higher mark since he got nearly a 4.0 GPA with a Finance degree and that **** isn't easy, I know because I took those classes too at OU.

BeerBaron
03-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Agreed. Only an insanely high score or an insanely low score would really stand out in my mind...a high score might score a few points for that prospect with me, but it wouldn't make me want to take him a round higher or anything like that. Same with a really low one.

Also, I know plenty of people who are legitimately smart but are terrible test takers. I don't put to much stock into this.

nhlkdog411
03-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't really get why people are disappointed in Bradford. 36 is a damn good score, and while he did get a 4.0 in finance, that's a degree that while not easy, certainly isn't outlandishly hard..its not like he had a 4.0 in an engineering or physics field here.

Bengalsrocket
03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
The Wonderlic is kind of a ridiculous test. You get 12 minutes to answer 50 multiple choice questions (4 choices per a question).

Not only that, but the extremes on each end of the spectrum prove it doesn't really mean much about being a QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick reportedly finished his test in 9 minutes and only got 2 questions wrong (48 points). While Dan Marino scores a 16 and he's a HoF QB.

herniateddisc
03-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Marino was on coke however.

CJSchneider
03-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Saw this on Around the Horn, pretty interesting IMO:

Tim Tebow - 22/50

Pretty good for a FB.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
The Wonderlic is kind of a ridiculous test. You get 12 minutes to answer 50 multiple choice questions (4 choices per a question).

Not only that, but the extremes on each end of the spectrum prove it doesn't really mean much about being a QB. Ryan Fitzpatrick reportedly finished his test in 9 minutes and only got 2 questions wrong (48 points). While Dan Marino scores a 16 and he's a HoF QB.

I wouldn't say it doesn't mean much, it's just one step in the process of grading a prospect and finalzing how you grade that guy. Just like you can't base an entire grade off of a 40 time, or a shuttle, or how far he throws, you just factor it all into the decision. If you like a guy a low score probably won't deter you from taking him, but a high score for a QB never hurts.

Reason why guys with really high scores have failed is because wonderlic has nothing to do with how well you can play football. Fitzpatrick is an ivy league guy and always was smart, and I bet he mastered the playbook as fast as he did the wonderlic and would probably be a good QB coach down the line so in that aspect it's relevant. All those guys with high scores probably learned the playbook really fast, remembered the plays, and knew what guys were supposed to be doing.

It still had nothing to do with their play on the field though, it's just nice to see what your working with especially if your giving a guy 30 million up front I'd want to know as much as I could.

Bengalsrocket
03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't say it doesn't mean much, it's just one step in the process of grading a prospect and finalzing how you grade that guy. Just like you can't base an entire grade off of a 40 time, or a shuttle, or how far he throws, you just factor it all into the decision. If you like a guy a low score probably won't deter you from taking him, but a high score for a QB never hurts.

Reason why guys with really high scores have failed is because wonderlic has nothing to do with how well you can play football. Fitzpatrick is an ivy league guy and always was smart, and I bet he mastered the playbook as fast as he did the wonderlic and would probably be a good QB coach down the line so in that aspect it's relevant. All those guys with high scores probably learned the playbook really fast, remembered the plays, and knew what guys were supposed to be doing.

It still had nothing to do with their play on the field though, it's just nice to see what your working with especially if your giving a guy 30 million up front I'd want to know as much as I could.

It's sounds like your arguing for me actually lol. I never said it doesn't mean anything I just said it doesn't mean much. And no doubt, it's nice to know what you're working with and this might be a good indicator of how fast a guy learns a play book. But even so, it's not like impossible for someone like Vince Young to learn a playbook as we know because he's ran a couple of them in the NFL.

wogitalia
03-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't get how people can do so badly at these tests. Every question I have seen for them is a pretty simple question, to get less than 50% just seems embarrassing to me but what do I know, maybe the questions you can't get are actually incredibly difficult because no one ever seems to ace it.

Wouldn't mind finding out what Myron Rolle scored as you would have to think he is amongst the smartest guys this year, if he even took it.

Stranger
03-10-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't get how people can do so badly at these tests. Every question I have seen for them is a pretty simple question, to get less than 50% just seems embarrassing to me but what do I know, maybe the questions you can't get are actually incredibly difficult because no one ever seems to ace it.

Wouldn't mind finding out what Myron Rolle scored as you would have to think he is amongst the smartest guys this year, if he even took it.

As I understand it they get progressively more difficult and the ones we are able to see generally come from the start.

Bengalsrocket
03-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I imaging that due to the time constraint, guys generally just guess on anywhere from 10-50% of the questions on the 2nd half of the test.

Prowler
03-10-2010, 09:15 PM
myron rolle is the one i'm interested in. if he gets a 20 then i know this is all a waste of time. i'm predicting he'll get a 43.

Geason Noceur
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
I don't really get why people are disappointed in Bradford. 36 is a damn good score, and while he did get a 4.0 in finance, that's a degree that while not easy, certainly isn't outlandishly hard..its not like he had a 4.0 in an engineering or physics field here.

I didn't think it was disappointing. I just thought he would have gotten a slightly higher score from all the hype I had read about his intelligence level. But I have to agree with you that getting a 4.0 in finance is nowhere near as difficult as getting a 4.0 in a science major. I have first hand experience with that. I majored in Biology and Business. Needless to say, my Accounting and Finance classes helped my GPA more than the Physics and Biochemistry classes did.

SUP
03-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Not impressive at all actually. What is impressive is how many strings the coaches have to pull in order to get the university to accept some of these folks with pitiful scores.

Tebow took the SAT when he was either a Freshman or Sophomore in HS, so the 890 isnt that bad at all. Go look at your PSAT scores and see how you did. Probably not much better...

Also, most colleges have a sliding scale to get in. If you have a 3.5 GPA you can accepted with like an 800 on the SAT.

NDfootball
03-10-2010, 11:21 PM
36 is a great score on the wonderlic, it just verifies what we knew already, Bradford is a smart guy.

The other big QB's did fine too. 22-25 are all above average scores, teams would be crazy to let these scores influence what QB they want to draft.

I used to think this test meant something, but VY and Manningham both got 6 and are pretty damn good players. They may not be able to read... but they can play football!

Jughead10
03-10-2010, 11:27 PM
36 is a great score on the wonderlic, it just verifies what we knew already, Bradford is a smart guy.

The other big QB's did fine too. 22-25 are all above average scores, teams would be crazy to let these scores influence what QB they want to draft.

I used to think this test meant something, but VY and Manningham both got 6 and are pretty damn good players. They may not be able to read... but they can play football!

Well, Manningham's intelligence basically cost him a year of development though. His rookie year he never saw the field because he couldn't grasp the playbook. But he worked hard and got it down for his sophmore season with the Giants.

Also 22-25 are not above average scores for QBs. They are probably right on average to maybe ever so slightly below.

Bengalsrocket
03-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Well, Manningham's intelligence basically cost him a year of development though. His rookie year he never saw the field because he couldn't grasp the playbook. But he worked hard and got it down for his sophmore season with the Giants.

Also 22-25 are not above average scores for QBs. They are probably right on average to maybe ever so slightly below.

According to Wikipedia:

* Offensive tackle – 26
* Center – 25
* Quarterback – 24
* Guard – 23
* Tight end – 22
* Safety – 19
* Linebacker – 19
* Cornerback – 18
* Wide receiver – 17
* Fullback – 17
* Halfback – 16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_Test

Interesting that offensive tackles average out at the highest.

Geason Noceur
03-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Tebow took the SAT when he was either a Freshman or Sophomore in HS, so the 890 isnt that bad at all. Go look at your PSAT scores and see how you did. Probably not much better...

Also, most colleges have a sliding scale to get in. If you have a 3.5 GPA you can accepted with like an 800 on the SAT.

I don't remember my PSAT scores. It's been way too long ago. LOL

wordofi
03-11-2010, 02:21 AM

Just because somebody is a good person doesn't mean that they're smart.

Rosebud
03-11-2010, 07:37 AM
Hasn't everyone heard Tebow speak? I remember hearing him speak his sophomore year and he sounded like he might be down with the syndrome. "Coach tell me to run the ball...so I run the ball, but sometimes I throw the ball and coach really likes when I throw the ball except sometimes he's really mad I throwd the ball" I can't cite this but that is almost verbatim a Tim Tebow interview from his sophomore year. I like Timmy and think he can become a wonderful NFL starting QB but he is not and has never been the sharpest tool in the shed.

SUP
03-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Hasn't everyone heard Tebow speak? I remember hearing him speak his sophomore year and he sounded like he might be down with the syndrome. "Coach tell me to run the ball...so I run the ball, but sometimes I throw the ball and coach really likes when I throw the ball except sometimes he's really mad I throwd the ball" I can't cite this but that is almost verbatim a Tim Tebow interview from his sophomore year. I like Timmy and think he can become a wonderful NFL starting QB but he is not and has never been the sharpest tool in the shed.

nonsense

Tim might not be the brightest kid in the world, but he has never come off like that.

Malaka
03-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Wow, don't make excuses for him I took the PSAT as a sophomore and got an 1150 or something like that, now they have three tests reading, writing, and math. I got 1755 out of 2400 which is pretty good.

SUP
03-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Wow, don't make excuses for him I took the PSAT as a sophomore and got an 1150 or something like that, now they have three tests reading, writing, and math. I got 1755 out of 2400 which is pretty good.

Wow bro, you took the PSAT as a a Sophomore???????????? Crazy ****, I wish I was like you.

You might be smarter than Tim, who the **** knows, who the **** cares? I don't see you being in the NFL though or any Heisman's in your trophy case.

I'll just roll with it though. Most colleges don't give a flying **** about the writing and only use the 1600pt scale. I think its fairly safe to assume if Tebow waited until he was a Senior to take the SAT, he would of improved by 120-150 points, which would of put him right in that AVERAGE range. Kind of like what he ******* SCORED on the Wonderlic. Right about ******* Average. Kind of like how I said he wasn't the brightest kid in the world, but he isn't ******* dumb.

How was your Reading Comprehension Score? I bet you could of improved on that....

Malaka
03-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Wow bro, you took the PSAT as a a Sophomore???????????? Crazy ****, I wish I was like you.

You might be smarter than Tim, who the **** knows, who the **** cares? I don't see you being in the NFL though or any Heisman's in your trophy case.

I'll just roll with it though. Most colleges don't give a flying **** about the writing and only use the 1600pt scale. I think its fairly safe to assume if Tebow waited until he was a Senior to take the SAT, he would of improved by 120-150 points, which would of put him right in that AVERAGE range. Kind of like what he ******* SCORED on the Wonderlic. Right about ******* Average. Kind of like how I said he wasn't the brightest kid in the world, but he isn't ******* dumb.

How was your Reading Comprehension Score? I bet you could of improved on that....

Lmao, are you Tim Tebow you took some big offense to me an average student doing better than Tim freaking Tebow. An 890 is not average its ******* terrible. Alright by your logic I will be scoring a 1300 I have got no problem with that, it doesn't change the fact Tebow is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

SUP
03-11-2010, 06:59 PM
Lmao, are you Tim Tebow you took some big offense to me an average student doing better than Tim freaking Tebow. An 890 is not average its ******* terrible. Alright by your logic I will be scoring a 1300 I have got no problem with that, it doesn't change the fact Tebow is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I didn't take offense to anything. Just the fact that you can't comprehend anything. I have said that he isnt the sharpest tool in the shed. Jesus Christ.

A 1300 is better than average dumbass. With a 1300 and a decent GPA, you can get in some nice places. If you would just brush up on the reading comprehension, you would be golden.

Bengalsrocket
03-11-2010, 07:26 PM

You were basically bragging about your average scores though.

The bold part has zero relevance on Tim Tebow or the discussion at hand, it was basically just you plugging in your scores on the newer SAT test which none of these QB took I'm sure.

soybean
03-11-2010, 07:54 PM

The bold part has zero relevance on Tim Tebow or the discussion at hand, it was basically just you plugging in your scores on the newer SAT test which none of these QB took I'm sure.

Actually all graduating seniors would have taken the new version of the test.

Bengalsrocket
03-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Actually all graduating seniors would have taken the new version of the test.

It's possible it is state based. I graduated in '06 and I believe my class was the first to take it in our district (as seniors). I also remember being told that a few of the colleges in the area would sort of grandfather your old SAT test if you took it as a junior.

TitanHope
03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
so i guess this means that tebow is more than twice as smart as vince young.

EDIT: whoops i mean almost 4 times as smart.

Oh no you din't!

You've brought this upon yourself...

s8zZRBTOcnY

He scored a 16 dadgummit! The first one was an error!

LEAVE VINCE ALONE!!!

http://myskitch.com/kalisurfer/youtube_-_leave_britney_alone_-20070918-114214.jpg

He's still thick as a brick, but not to the dumbassery level of having to wear his helmet off the field as well.

Malaka
03-11-2010, 09:08 PM

I mentioned myself, only as a comparison of a two sophomores in HS one being Tebow (when he was one) and the other being me. All I said was mine were pretty good, hardly bragging.

And SUP lol read my post again man I said I'd love to have a 1300.

wordofi
03-12-2010, 12:02 AM
HOF Alex Smith got a 40......

Not trying to make excuses for Alex Smith, but he's had a different offensive coordinator every year that he's been with the 49ers.

soybean
03-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Oh no you din't!

You've brought this upon yourself...

s8zZRBTOcnY

He scored a 16 dadgummit! The first one was an error!

LEAVE VINCE ALONE!!!

http://myskitch.com/kalisurfer/youtube_-_leave_britney_alone_-20070918-114214.jpg

He's still thick as a brick, but not to the dumbassery level of having to wear his helmet off the field as well.

he was too stupid to figure out the play so he just ran for it.

Scotty D
03-18-2010, 06:14 AM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Gerhart-posts-top-RB-Wonderlic-score.html

RB Wonderlic scores - Gerhart scored a 30

Some of the other top performers among the running backs include BYU’s Manase Tonga (29), LSU’s Charles Scott (26), Tennessee’s Montario Hardesty (25), Mississippi State’s Anthony Dixon (25) and North Dakota State’s Pat Paschall (25).

Rounding out the bottom of the class was Clemson’s C.J. Spiller, who scored a 10.

Other Notable Scores

Jahvid Best (California): 24
LeGarrette Blount (Oregon): 16
Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech): 17
Ryan Mathews (Fresno State): 16
Dexter McCluster (Ole Miss): 18