PDA

View Full Version : Rolando McClain has Crohn's disease

RealityCheck
03-10-2010, 04:57 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/10/mcclain-reveals-he-has-crohns-disease/

Any info on was exactly is this?

crossroads
03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
From what I understand it's an inflammatory disease that effects the gastrointestinal tract. A friend of mine has it and it makes him susceptible to stomach pain/nausea, but can usually be kept fairly well in check with anti-inflammatory medication.

Unbiased
03-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Should not affect his play on the field in any way.

Job
03-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Should not affect his play on the field in any way.

Unless it causes diarrhea on that day.

LizardState
03-10-2010, 05:15 PM
If he can control the flareups it's manageable. A coworker who sat behind me for 2-3 yrs had it & she spent most of the day in the restroom.

SHe said she was on massive Prednisone doses & it has horrible side effects, it's a corticosteroid that affects your central nervous system in awful ways -- the cure is worse than the disease. I took it for the flu & ****** me up righteous

DenverJetsFan
03-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Does this drop his stock?

Borat
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
Hope this insures that he drops to the Niners.

RaiderNation
03-10-2010, 05:29 PM
This was probably why he was sick before the National Championship game... and look what he did in that game. I would still take him with a top 10 pick

YAYareaRB
03-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Hope this insures that he drops to the Niners.

We already have a LB with a disease.

http://www.paxusa.org/psa/imaqes/speakup_spikes.JPEG

Look at the inflamed neck area

PossibleCabbage
03-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Does this drop his stock?

That really depends on medical information that teams have and we don't. But there have been quite a few professional athletes with Crohn's disease, David Garrard, Rolf Benirschke, and Chris Gedney of the NFL all had the disease; as did Shayne Corson, Theo Fleury, and Kevin Dineen of the NHL; as well as Olympian Rower Steve Redgrave. You can certainly perform at a high level in athletic competition with Crohn's, but this does mean that McClain has something to fight through that most players don't.

Stranger
03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
That really depends on medical information that teams have and we don't. But there have been quite a few professional athletes with Crohn's disease, David Garrard, Rolf Benirschke, and Chris Gedney of the NFL all had the disease; as did Shayne Corson, Theo Fleury, and Kevin Dineen of the NHL; as well as Olympian Rower Steve Redgrave. You can certainly perform at a high level in athletic competition with Crohn's, but this does mean that McClain has something to fight through that most players don't.

Wow, not like he wasn't impressive enough already.

M.O.T.H.
03-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Yah, it should be a non issue...I remember Garrard got real sick when he first got it but, the guy is healthy as ever, now that it's being treated and under control.

Matthew Jones
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't think this is really an issue.

underscore
03-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Crohn's varies very widely. It can be as minor as causing occasional diarrhea or stomach aches...or it can be as serious as having parts of your intestine blocked or diseased to the point of not being allowed to eat and needing surgery to remove the bad parts of the intestine (or symptoms even worse that aren't best described here)

It can't be cured...effectiveness of medication also varies widely. Some take anti-inflammatory pills (steroids or otherwise), some have to have an IV infusion of medication every few months. Someone may be fine for months or years, then all of a sudden be in extreme, extreme pain and find themselves in the hospital.

So, while it may not be an issue now, it could be an extremely serious issue.

Signed,

Husband whose wife who was off work for three months, had to "eat" out of an IV bag for two months, and had a foot of small intestine removed.

Shane P. Hallam
03-10-2010, 07:37 PM
Bigger issue to me was the hamstring injury. Could lend to some of his poor tape, and may be an interesting explanation for some of his shortcomings.

Jimmy
03-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Is that the disease that makes you a ridiculous tackler who relentlessly tracks down people in the backfield?

Rosebud
03-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Given that he's been able to perform through it at the collegic level I think it's safe to say he doesn't have a very intense case of it, if he did have it really bad he wouldn't be able to keep his physique and paly the way he does. This probably won't effect his stock at all.

underscore
03-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Given that he's been able to perform through it at the collegic level I think it's safe to say he doesn't have a very intense case of it, if he did have it really bad he wouldn't be able to keep his physique and paly the way he does. This probably won't effect his stock at all.

Not at all true. Just because it didn't affect him in college doesn't mean it won't strike tomorrow.

That said, as long as your nutrition is monitored (the disease can cause vitamin/mineral deficiencies due), there would be no physical limitations.

RaiderNation
03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Is that the disease that makes you a ridiculous tackler who relentlessly tracks down people in the backfield?

No thats what you call beast mode disease

TonyGfortheTD
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM

If it is, David Garrard is doing it wrong

Rosebud
03-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Not at all true. Just because it didn't affect him in college doesn't mean it won't strike tomorrow.

That said, as long as your nutrition is monitored (the disease can cause vitamin/mineral deficiencies due), there would be no physical limitations.

Eh, he doesn't have it bad yet and will be under the supervision of teams ready to give him worldclass care. If teams keep an eye on it and as you said monitor his nutrition, it shouldn't adversily affect his stock and that seems to be your point so I don't see where our disagreement lies?

underscore
03-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Eh, he doesn't have it bad yet and will be under the supervision of teams ready to give him worldclass care. If teams keep an eye on it and as you said monitor his nutrition, it shouldn't adversily affect his stock and that seems to be your point so I don't see where our disagreement lies?

I'm saying that while it's controlled, he's OK, but it can get out of control in a rather short amount of time. World class care won't help that as it's an uncurable disease.

wogitalia
03-10-2010, 09:28 PM
If it is, David Garrard is doing it wrong

How so, Garrard is still tracking down people in the backfield, relentlessly. Unfortunately he is the tacklee. He also failed massively on all parts when it was Nap Harris that was in the backfield, then he just stood and watch him run from backfield to endzone!

Rosebud
03-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I'm saying that while it's controlled, he's OK, but it can get out of control in a rather short amount of time. World class care won't help that as it's an uncurable disease.

Could be, but he's probably more likely to have his career ruined a horrible knee injury. It could screw him, but right now it's not a problem and it's something a team will be able keep on top of so that they can get in position to replace him.

batsandgats
03-10-2010, 10:06 PM
my friend dated a girl who had this, would be fine for years and then have a bad flare up, and would be in the hospital for months feeling like she was dying, only for it to dissapear for another couple of years. I don't know exactly what they did to help it at the hospital but it comes out of nowhere and there is no telling how this would affect him.

NDfootball
03-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Crohn's is very serious and as mentioned above, it's incurable. I think all teams will take it into account that McClain has it, and some may drop down their list.

With that being said, I still can't see him dropping out of the top 20, McClain's play on the field speaks for itself.

underscore
04-19-2010, 06:30 AM
He doesn't have Crohn's after all. Not that there aren't other GI conditions with similar symptoms, but still...

Alabama ILB Rolando McClain has been informed by doctors that he does not, in fact, suffer from Crohn's Disease.
"In all my talks with my doctors in the past two weeks, with all the tests we've done, they don't even feel I have Crohn's disease," McClain said after the Crimson Tide's spring game on Saturday. "The tests came out good and positive. Every team knows it's not going to affect me at all." McClain has believed since the ninth grade that he suffered from the disease. Even if he did have it, the illness was not expected to significantly alter his stock. Apr. 18 - 7:30 am et
Source: Birmingham Press-Register

Abaddon
04-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Sounds like some draft stock damage control to me.

yourfavestoner
04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Sounds like some draft stock damage control to me.

Mayber, maybe not. Many gastrointestinal diseases have indredibly similar symptoms and could be incorrectly diagnosed. It happens.

superfly69
04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
It all depends on how severe he has it. David Garrard the Jaguars QB had it, but had surgery to have it corrected. From what I know you can control it with medication, but if it gets worse it and surgery doesn't help it could cost him his career. Everyone reacts to it differently.

tenorx
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
I also have Crohn's disease, but a light one. I know other people, who can't go to work, can't go to school and need to do yoga every day to make things work. It just depends on how hard it is.

underscore
04-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Mayber, maybe not. Many gastrointestinal diseases have indredibly similar symptoms and could be incorrectly diagnosed. It happens.

Or more specifically, not ever officially diagnosed and just assumed. Colonoscopies aren't things many people want to do, especially kid/young adult.

katnip
04-19-2010, 05:00 PM
just saw a commercial for this. Guess its becoming a serious problem. Sad news. I really like McClain as a player

BaLLiN
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
He doesn't have Crohn's after all. Not that there aren't other GI conditions with similar symptoms, but still...

Alabama ILB Rolando McClain has been informed by doctors that he does not, in fact, suffer from Crohn's Disease.
"In all my talks with my doctors in the past two weeks, with all the tests we've done, they don't even feel I have Crohn's disease," McClain said after the Crimson Tide's spring game on Saturday. "The tests came out good and positive. Every team knows it's not going to affect me at all." McClain has believed since the ninth grade that he suffered from the disease. Even if he did have it, the illness was not expected to significantly alter his stock. Apr. 18 - 7:30 am et
Source: Birmingham Press-Register

please link

Edit: i realize you have it at the bottom, but want to read more into it.

Dark Knight01
04-19-2010, 06:39 PM
McClain does NOT have Chrones Disease.