PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning vs Ryan Leaf

SloppyJoe
03-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I wasn't really into the whole draft stuff in 1998, when both of these QB's where draftet, to tell the truth i watch football in regular basis since 2000.

I thought about Manning and Leaf today and just wanted to know if anybody can tell me some things about their draft stock etc

who was rated higher by most "experts"?
who was rated higher by fans?
Where those guys the #1 and #2 ovr prospects?
Some positives and negatives about these players as prospects?

any infos are welcome

alake85
03-10-2010, 08:23 PM
If the Colts would have picked Leaf I would have thrown out my Colts Tickets (http://www.sportevents.com) and all my Colts stuff. I can't even imagine the Colts without Peyton... Leaf was a head case and a jerk. No better team to draft them than the Chargers, now they have a decent jerk in Rivers...

Stranger
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
That was fast.

MiWolves
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Ryan Leaf had more potential then Manning based on his athletic ability but Manning had more awareness.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Most scouts felt Leaf had alot more potential, better size and strength and raw talent, while Manning was viewed as more polished without the higher ceiling. People didn't like how Manning could never upstage Florida and was seen as a choker in big games(technically hasn't shaken that tag completely).

Still though there were people comparing these two to Elway and Marino saying they would end up in the HOF together at some point from the same class. Also while Leaf is a headcase, I remember reading that people felt he would handle the money, and fame better then Peyton due to his laid back persona, and for the most part Peyton sucked in most of the big games when he was expected to step it up. If I remember Nebraska throttled them his Senior year before he came out and he played like ****.

It was funny because after a few weeks Leaf had won his first two starts and looked pretty good for a rookie, then in his 3rd game was the game he went like 1-18 the whole game and went roid rage on a camera man and well, we all know how that story ended.

TonyGfortheTD
03-10-2010, 08:34 PM
I wonder what would of happened if Ryan Leaf never ran into the buzzsaw known as the Chiefs Defense back in that period. He wasn't the only QBs career that was ruined by the Chiefs.

Iamcanadian
03-10-2010, 08:40 PM
I wasn't really into the whole draft stuff in 1998, when both of these QB's where draftet, to tell the truth i watch football in regular basis since 2000.

I thought about Manning and Leaf today and just wanted to know if anybody can tell me some things about their draft stock etc

who was rated higher by most "experts"?
who was rated higher by fans?
Where those guys the #1 and #2 ovr prospects?
Some positives and negatives about these players as prospects?

any infos are welcome

In 1998, the draft wasn't covered like it is today so all you had to go on was fragments of information obtained from here or there.
Peyton was rated higher and was the far more finished product. Leaf was far rawer but with a huge upside if everything went well. I'd guess the Eastern and Southern fans liked Peyton better while the West preferred Leaf.
They were rated #1 and #2 by most people.
Peyton was marvelous but he failed to win the National Championship with a very talented Tennessee team that won the year after he graduated. It raised some questions about his abilities in big games which persisted till he won a SB. There is still some lingering doubts about his performances in big games after this year's SB.
Leaf was much more of a 1 year wonder who led the doormat Washington St. team to the Pac 10 Championship, something that is rarely seen. He had a big arm but lacked the consistency of Peyton.
The Combine wasn't seen by mockers so all judgment was based mostly on gut feelings.

niel89
03-10-2010, 08:42 PM
"I told them if you don't pick me first, I'm going to come back and kick your butt for the next 15 years."

That's who I pick #1.

FUNBUNCHER
03-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Manning was the 'safe' pick.
Leaf was the more physically gifted runner and passer with a much stronger arm.
People were also knocking Manning because he could never beat Steve Spurrier's Gators and the Vols never won a national championship with him calling the signals.
That's where Manning got the rep for being unable to win the 'big one.'

I'm still in shock that Leaf busted in such a spectacular fashion.
Maybe a diehard Chargers fan could explain why Leaf's career went into a death spiral that he couldn't pull out of.

Rosebud
03-10-2010, 10:11 PM
People were also knocking Manning because he could never beat Steve Spurrier's Gators and the Vols never won a national championship with him calling the signals.

Maybe a diehard Chargers fan could explain why Leaf's career went into a death spiral that he couldn't pull out of.

Leaf was the rare professional athlete to crack level 1 douchebaggery
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/35/196166386_56f4041858_o.jpg

Xenos
03-11-2010, 12:14 AM

He was an even worse mental midget than Jeff George or Jay Cutler. Which is saying a lot. He also didn't have anything resembling a work ethic. I believe after he found out he got drafted, he partied in Las Vegas instead of studying the playbook like Peyton. Additionally, he never got over that incident at KC with the cameraman. Instead of proving his critics wrong in subsequent games, he let that incident be the eternal excuse for his horrendousness.