PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Davis Falling?

RWills
03-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Anyone read his pro day? refused to weigh in, left before drills with multiple excuses, has already been flagged for character concerns, this guy could be falling fast with all the talent u at the top of the draft. Won't fall into round 2 though, some team that needs a tackle will take him. But who knows

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2010/03/former_rutgers_tackle_anthony.html

bigfreak314
03-11-2010, 09:28 AM
The kid might just of cost himself being a 1st round draft pick. He could of went in the top 10 but made another poor decision. I could see him sliding into the top of the 2nd round

Reportedly Showing up to Rutgers Training Camp over weight

Showed up at the Combine overweight

Only bench pressed 225 21 times

Too many red flags?

TheMorningZoo
03-11-2010, 09:31 AM
^ agreed. I mean if I was a GM/Coach, I would rather invest in someone like Bulaga or Okung (granted Okung is top 5), but guys that love the game and don't have red flags. Davis looks like he lacks the dedication, showing up overweight and his weight room strength not impressive. Why take a risk on a guy? He will still find a suitor however, someone needs a LT-and Davis has the upside to be a good one.

Grizzlegom
03-11-2010, 09:32 AM
on one hand, he does have some good tape (although i did see a few things i didnt like, inconsistency and taking plays off that are away from him), so he could still get taken in the top half of the round a la Andre Smith. But on the other, he's had a pretty brutal offseason and I could easily see him falling into the 20s. I'd guess he falls somewhere inbetween like San Fran, Seattle, or Pitt

Brothgar
03-11-2010, 09:36 AM
If Andre Smith can still be a top 10 pick I don't see Davis falling out of round 1.

Supporting Caste
03-11-2010, 09:48 AM
This guy is really, really looking bad. I think we might see a free fall like never before with Davis.

josh07039
03-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Scouts are so pissed because of the pro day thing. He didn't even tell anyone. People knew he was injured but didn't know he wasn't even going to show up for interviews. Davis is doing everything he can to work his way out of the first. The thing is that his talent and physical tools are so immense that it will be hard for one team to not go for him in the first.

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 09:56 AM
this is hilarious. typical case of over analysing. Yes, he's had a miserable, horrible offseason which I'm upset at him for. But his talent on the field is unmistakable. Honestly, these flags are over-weight (and not a mass amount like Cody, or even Andre Smith last year) and his sub-par combine? OH NOEZ!
Some smart team will overlook these signs of laziness and immaturity from this 20 year old and whip his ass into shape and get a future STUD OT for years to come.

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Scouts are so pissed because of the pro day thing. He didn't even tell anyone. People knew he was injured but didn't know he wasn't even going to show up for interviews. Davis is doing everything he can to work his way out of the first. The thing is that his talent and physical tools are so immense that it will be hard for one team to not go for him in the first.

HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET THERE!?!?! I WANTED TO GO SOOO BADLY!
meh

FlyingElvis
03-11-2010, 09:57 AM
He's likely flying down the boards but he plays a premier position and is a top talent so there's no way I see him falling out of round 1.

What a dummy, though. He has cost himself millions by making stupid decisions and being lazy. He could very well have gone top 10 but I won't be surprised to see him fall into the 20s.

josh07039
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
mehIm magical, don't question my ways. But it wasn't too interesting. Though I will say that Munoz looked good and mentioned he was getting worked out as safety as well.

Prowler
03-11-2010, 09:59 AM
anybody know which scouts were pissed? i still can't see him falling past buffalo, seattle, san fran range.

redbills
03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't want him at 9 now unless no one is there

Forenci
03-11-2010, 10:09 AM
this is hilarious. typical case of over analysing. Yes, he's had a miserable, horrible offseason which I'm upset at him for. But his talent on the field is unmistakable. Honestly, these flags are over-weight (and not a mass amount like Cody, or even Andre Smith last year) and his sub-par combine? OH NOEZ!
Some smart team will overlook these signs of laziness and immaturity from this 20 year old and whip his ass into shape and get a future STUD OT for years to come.

So being fat, lazy and having horrible work ethic should be overlooked? Hmm. Okay.

Anthony Davis, the Jamarcus Russel of offensive tackles!

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 10:20 AM
So being fat, lazy and having horrible work ethic should be overlooked? Hmm. Okay.

EXCEPTTTT Anthony Davis was in shape come the season, which is all I cared about. And Jamarcus was fat and out of shape and had like half of a good season. Meanwhile, Davis' talent is undeniable. And he plays a position where it's ok to be fat. People are overlooking this. God forbid a 20 year old kid let this top 10 talk get to his head. He's messed up with this awful offseason, but just watch the tape, and he's a top 10 talent. Schiano whipped him back into shape, so what makes you think an NFL coach wouldn't. I'm just saying, the over-reactions are going to come pouring in because he's lazy. But hell, let him fall to the Giants, works for me.

The most hilarious part is the Bills fan saying he now doesn't want him at 9, which is hilarious. That OL is PUTRID, yet you don't want this clear top 10 talent because he's a lazy, immature 20 year old who has had a bad offseason? haha.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2010, 10:21 AM
If he would fall to 24, depending on who else is available, I'd like him on the Eagles. His play on the field is unquestionable, and Juan Castillo would "whip his ass into shape", to use scotty's words. He could play either tackle spot, but would probably be at RT, and with the cluster that is the right side of our line with the Andrews brothers being a big question, Anthony Davis would add stability and could eventually fill in and take over at LT.

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 10:21 AM
Im magical, don't question my ways. But it wasn't too interesting. Though I will say that Munoz looked good and mentioned he was getting worked out as safety as well.

Damaso is me and my roomie's favorite! total ****, we've got his picture from the targum or internetz hanging all over our room!

Solomon
03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
EXCEPTTTT Anthony Davis was in shape come the season, which is all I cared about. And Jamarcus was fat and out of shape and had like half of a good season. Meanwhile, Davis' talent is undeniable. And he plays a position where it's ok to be fat. People are overlooking this. God forbid a 20 year old kid let this top 10 talk get to his head. He's messed up with this awful offseason, but just watch the tape, and he's a top 10 talent. Schiano whipped him back into shape, so what makes you think an NFL coach wouldn't. I'm just saying, the over-reactions are going to come pouring in because he's lazy. But hell, let him fall to the Giants, works for me.

The most hilarious part is the Bills fan saying he now doesn't want him at 9, which is hilarious. That OL is PUTRID, yet you don't want this clear top 10 talent because he's a lazy, immature 20 year old who has had a bad offseason? haha.

Completely agree. I don't see the Andre Smith comparison at all. I do see a Mike Oher comparison; two tackles with alot of hype and very good game tape who get nitpicked in the off season then get dinged at the combine when they don't impress because they're not workout warriors. Oher fell a bit last year and I could see Davis falling out of the top 20 this year as well but if he does it'll be a big mistake for some teams in the top ten.

Put him on the field and he's always been a gamer.

Watchman
03-11-2010, 10:34 AM

I think the concern would be that you have the immaturity and top 10 talk going to his head (as you said) - what happens when he does go top 10 and has millions of dollars?

ThePudge
03-11-2010, 10:34 AM
This guy is really, really looking bad. I think we might see a free fall like never before with Davis.

I wouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves. He should remain fairly high in the first round mix, but these immaturity concerns are gaining momentum every day. The biggest recruit Rutgers has ever drawn can now be appropriately called the pre-draft process' biggest headache. Andre Smith's similar concern dropped him to 6th Overall, though he had put it together much more on film.

For a guy with immense upside and talent, a lack of maturity/work-ethic could derail his development & NFL career. He'll have to start taking this process seriously if he wants to stay among the Top 15-20 picks. The most naturally talented blocker in this draft with the best frame, but a laundry list of character questions could push him past guys like Trent Williams & Bryan Bulaga, who are blue-chippers and will handle the interview process with more maturity.

Buffalo at 9
San Francisco at 13
Seattle at 14
New York Giants at 15 (local product)

That's where I see him at this point with the potential to move back up or continue his slide (depending on how he handles the rest of the process.) It is dramatic considering prior to the Combine Davis was battling for my top OT spot and looked like a possibility as high as 4th Overall to Washington. An immensely talented player with a great body & skill-set for either the Left or Right tackle position. At such a premium position & some good film you wonder what his floor is. Dare I say Cincinnati at 21?

josh07039
03-11-2010, 10:38 AM

While I still think Davis a great talent and I'm rooting for him to succeed. He really is a huge concern for any team drafting him. He has shown immaturity and a lack of desire for working hard time and again. Don't tell me that he's 20 so he can be immature. I'm 20, I know many other 20 year olds. He is beyond immature, he is just being stupid. The combination of showing up to camp out of shape, getting suspended for a game, coming to the combine looking to have not prepared, and now not even showing up for his pro day really paints a picture of how responsible a guy he is. With all this said, it won't matter, he'll get drafted in the first because he's too big and athletic to be passed up by every team.

Supporting Caste
03-11-2010, 10:39 AM
The thing about Davis is that he's NOT a gamer. He has no fire on the field and he's a complete trainwreck off the field.

Forenci
03-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Not saying he shouldn't be a top 15 pick, or a first rounder for that matter. Merely saying that you're playing it off like "Oh it's no big deal" when it's pretty notable concern. We always hear a knock on players who don't have passion for the game, and it certainly seems like Davis' motor can be questioned.

That's really my only point. I'd gladly take a top 5 type of talent on the field at the Giants pick in the hopes Coughlin could kick his ass into gear. Although I'd rather address defense if McClain/Weatherspoon is sitting pretty at our pick.

SKim172
03-11-2010, 10:48 AM
meh

The Pro Day was broadcast live on the Rutgers website yesterday. Anybody who wanted to could watch.

I think AD probably timed a few things badly. He's got a lot of talent, but from the beginning, the question was "Is he mature enough?" And this series of events probably doesn't help him. Yes, his stock is dropping, and I expect some teams have eliminated him from first round consideration. I still expect him to go first round. Maybe he could pull an Andre Smith (hey, at least he doesn't have manboobs).

SenorGato
03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
The furthest he falls is the early-20's like Oher. He's too talented an OL to fall to the 2nd.

That and there's very few guys who are having good offseasons by the mass standards. I didn't see anything crazy wrong with his offseason until I read this thread and was told he was having a really bad offseason. Character issues and work ethic questions are a dime a dozen...

Supporting Caste
03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I highly disagree with that. Character and work ethic issues stand out almost more than anything. Especially work ethic, and Davis gets an F there.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2010, 11:01 AM
The thing about Davis is that he's NOT a gamer. He has no fire on the field and he's a complete trainwreck off the field.

Sick em scotty!

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 11:21 AM

...oh dear sweet lord...if I didn't have a major economics exam in less than an hour, you'd be pooping double. there's SO much wrong with this...it's just absurd. words can't even describe...hell, facepalms can't even describe, how very wrong you are. If you're still spewing out nonsense when I return...

and Skim, I'm well aware, watched the whole thing from my dorm.

Cicero
03-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Scotty you're being too much of a homer. He didn't look good physically at the combine and then he completely blew off his pro day and refused to be weighed. He didn't prepare for his two biggest job interviews of his life where he potentially had millions to gain or lose. You can't just say it doesn't matter.

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Scotty you're being too much of a homer. He didn't look good physically at the combine and then he completely blew off his pro day and refused to be weighed. He didn't prepare for his two biggest job interviews where he has millions to gain or lose. You can't just say it doesn't matter.

I've already said multiple times he had an AWFUL offseason. But you can't say that the workouts and stuff can erase his great play in games and all the film. He's over-weight and immature. OH NOEZ! UNFIXABLE AND HE'Z GONNA BE A BUST AND TEH SUX0RZ

Cicero
03-11-2010, 11:39 AM
I've already said multiple times he had an AWFUL offseason. But you can't say that the workouts and stuff can erase his great play in games and all the film. He's over-weight and immature. OH NOEZ! UNFIXABLE AND HE'Z GONNA BE A BUST AND TEH SUX0RZ

Does it erase film? No. Does it mean you might be moving down a spot or two on some team's OT rankings? Yes.

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Does it erase film? No. Does it mean you might be moving down a spot or two on some team's OT rankings? Yes.

understandable. but some team will realize that these dumb mistakes are just that, and his play on the field warrants a high draft pick. He'll make a team very happy.

Mr.Regular
03-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I dont think its a stretch to think he could be the #5 OT off the board at this point. I still have him going in the top half of round one though.
Hes a good player, but there are some red flags going up. I dont think its enough to take him down out of round 1, hes too talented and has too much potential. But a team better be ready to work with him, because showing up overweight and not showing up the proday shows a lack of drive and maturity. If you can fix those problems, youre going to have a hell of a player though.

wordofi
03-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Anyone read his pro day? refused to weigh in, left before drills with multiple excuses, has already been flagged for character concerns, this guy could be falling fast with all the talent u at the top of the draft. Won't fall into round 2 though, some team that needs a tackle will take him. But who knows

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2010/03/former_rutgers_tackle_anthony.html

I wouldn't have him on my draft board. I know he's got the tools, but you don't know which Anthony Davis you're going to get.

Jakey
03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I love the kids play on the field, but if he was there at 18, im not even sure the steelers would draft him. Character comes very high on the steelers priority list, and his character is definately questionable atm.

RWills
03-11-2010, 12:02 PM

EXCEPTTTT Davis wasn't in shape and was benched and demoted until he go tback into shape. I am not questioning his talent. Talent will get you in the NFL, but you need a work ethic to last and be great

UKfan
03-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Davis to the Colts?? I can dream can't I...

vidae
03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
He's acting like an immature kid, but who isn't at his age? He's 20 years old. He'll make mistakes, but it doesn't change how talented he is.

He's going to be a beast and I seriously don't see him falling out of the top 10.

Supporting Caste
03-11-2010, 12:15 PM

Adarius Bowman
Brandon Everage
Mike Williams
Lendale White
Jerramy Stevens
Jimmy Williams
Alan Branch
John Sullivan
Reggie Williams
Mike Williams
JaMarcus Russell
Adam Jones
Cedric Benson
Lawrence Phillips
Charlie Rogers
Matt Jones
Odell Thurman

Film really is everything! The problem for Davis is that he was unreliable on the field, too. Not sure where that leaves us.

Giantsfan1080
03-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Matt Jones is the exact opposite. His off the field workouts is what got him drafted so high.

ThePudge
03-11-2010, 12:17 PM
I dont think its a stretch to think he could be the #5 OT off the board at this point. I still have him going in the top half of round one though.
Hes a good player, but there are some red flags going up.

There are definitely plenty of red flags and his immaturity/work-ethic concerns are going to remove him from several teams' boards completely. I'm not trying to downplay the significance of character at all, but I do think it's a stretch to say the 5th OT drafted. I just don't see any team that could rank Bruce Campbell above Davis even while their offseasons push their stock in different directions.

I think more so than any position there will be disagreement among the NFL teams on the Offensive Tackle position. There will be teams with a first round grade on Charles Brown , there will be teams that see Trent Williams only as a Right Tackle, and there will be teams that would take Bruce Campbell in the first. I think Davis may very well endure a fall like Michael Oher's, but I think he'll remain among the top four Tackles. I'm not sure what I'm about to do with him on my board after this Pro Day.

This position is going to be VERY interesting to keep an eye on in the next month.

Supporting Caste
03-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Giants - Right, but his character was terrible.

I believe the assertion was that Davis will be great because he sometimes played great in college. Sometimes.

ThePudge
03-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Right, but his character was terrible.

I believe the assertion was that Davis will be great because he sometimes played great in college. Sometimes.

Teams will endure character issues to get a chance at a Left Tackle that stands 6'5 1/2 325+ and moves his feet well. He's blowing this process, he's not taking it seriously and it's going to hurt his wallet. I just don't think we are going to see a monumental landslide because on paper he's a potential Top 5 pick. Right now, as I said I like him in the 9-15 range best but would not be shocked to see his maturity issues drop him down to 21 where the Bengals would likely consider him a perfect fit.

LT - Anthony Davis
LG - Andrew Whitworth
C - Kyle Cook
RG - Bobbie Williams
RT - Andre Smith

- RT Dennis Roland/LT Anthony Collins/OG Nate Livings/LG Evan Mathis/ C Jon Luigs

I like the sound of that!

Jakey
03-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Teams will endure character issues to get a chance at a Left Tackle that stands 6'5 1/2 325+ and moves his feet well. He's blowing this process, he's not taking it seriously and it's going to hurt his wallet. I just don't think we are going to see a monumental landslide because on paper he's a potential Top 5 pick. Right now, as I said I like him in the 9-15 range best but would not be shocked to see his maturity issues drop him down to 21 where the Bengals would likely consider him a perfect fit.

LT - Anthony Davis
LG - Andrew Whitworth
C - Kyle Cook
RG - Bobbie Williams
RT - Andre Smith

- RT Dennis Roland/LT Anthony Collins/OG Nate Livings/LG Evan Mathis/ C Jon Luigs

I like the sound of that!

I like Anthony Collins allot, no chance he starts for you guys?

RWills
03-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Adarius Bowman
Brandon Everage
Mike Williams
Lendale White
Jerramy Stevens
Jimmy Williams
Alan Branch
John Sullivan
Reggie Williams
Mike Williams
JaMarcus Russell
Adam Jones
Cedric Benson
Lawrence Phillips
Charlie Rogers
Matt Jones
Odell Thurman

Film really is everything! The problem for Davis is that he was unreliable on the field, too. Not sure where that leaves us.

This list rocks, I forgot all about some of these guys, Bowman, I remember peopel thought he was gonna be so great

ThePudge
03-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I like Anthony Collins allot, no chance he starts for you guys?

Nope. You want him?

He's behind Smith/Roland as Right Tackle options & Whitworth at LT and will likely only see action as a 6th OL (Tight End) in some jumbo packages. I'd like to use him as trade bait as he could be an average starter somewhere, just nowhere he fits into the lineup in Cincy. To a LT needy team I'd like to see us pull something like a 4th for him. We all know how impulsive and wheel-&-deal Mike Brown is though....

FlyingElvis
03-11-2010, 12:42 PM
There are definitely plenty of red flags and his immaturity/work-ethic concerns are going to remove him from several teams' boards completely. I'm not trying to downplay the significance of character at all, but I do think it's a stretch to say the 5th OT drafted. I just don't see any team that could rank Bruce Campbell above Davis even while their offseasons push their stock in different directions.

Be honest now, I'm pretty sure we can all see at least one team that could rank Campbell above Davis. ;)

Jakey
03-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Nope. You want him?

He's behind Smith/Roland as Right Tackle options & Whitworth at LT and will likely only see action as a 6th OL (Tight End) in some jumbo packages. I'd like to use him as trade bait as he could be an average starter somewhere, just nowhere he fits into the lineup in Cincy. To a LT needy team I'd like to see us pull something like a 4th for him. We all know how impulsive and wheel-&-deal Mike Brown is though....

Haha okay perhaps not then. I liked him as a prospect, and i remember last year, he shut down James Harrison pretty damn well. Got me intrigued. He could probably start on the Steelers though tbh XD

ThePudge
03-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Be honest now, I'm pretty sure we can all see at least one team that could rank Campbell above Davis. ;)

haha A very valid point. There's one team I can see ranking Campbell higher and plenty others that won't even have Davis on their draft board. I just don't think anyone has the balls to go Bruce over Davis even with the maturity questions. Campbell has some very serious football questions and in this case I think I'd feel more comfortable in humbling Davis rather than having to teach Bruce how to play football.

Babylon
03-11-2010, 01:03 PM

If you really like the guy then you make excuses for everything he does, you know how it works around here.

Hines
03-11-2010, 01:16 PM
If he is there at 18, I think the Steelers might pull the trigger. He has good film IMO, young, and has a boatload of potential.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I'll be honest, I'm not even clear that Davis is that much more of a finished product than Campbell. They're not even on that level, but it isn't like Davis is miles ahead or anything. I've been pouring over OT tape the past couple weeks, and I haven't been terribly impressed with Davis. He generates a ton of drive on running plays, but he plays off balance a lot in pass protection. Quite a few times I saw him let a man make an inside move and he would tighten his base and had no choice but to hold or let the guy go. A guy with his kind of size has very little excuse for something like that.

Both Davis and Campbell are potential picks to me. The problem is, if Davis won't willingly subject himself to the scouting process, how many questions does that raise about his coachability? This is not a guy who is so good right now that he can afford to be that aloof. I don't claim to have intimate knowledge of his history at Rutgers, but I do know there were rumblings about attitude and work ethic problems before this.

Campbell may be a work in progress, but I haven't heard anything about him suggesting that there should be major concerns about him developing as a player.

josh07039
03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
Ok Im a Rutgers fan, have been my hole life. I can admit that I at times will overrated Rutgers players perhaps. With Davis I see very clearly. Since coming to Rutgers, he has coasted on natural talent and not really put in the work that could have made him one of those sure fire top 5 offensive tackles. Davis is so physically gifted, I believe that if he had any work ethic, he would have an elite ranking like a Dbrick or Joe Thomas (I'm not making comparisons, Im talking about in terms of draft stock). Davis screwing up the pre draft process is not an aberration, this is just who he is. Like anyone else, he can mature, but at this moment he is just an idiot.

Around Rutgers, people were disappointed with Davis' performance as a junior and if you watch film, it will be clear that he has great physical tools, but just hasn't yet worked to put it together.

B-Dawk
03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
i dont see the top 5 pick talk. before the offseason he was a mid to late first round pick who got bumped due to his upside and people projecting positive workouts. He wasn't Andre Smith dominant on the field, so im not sure why there is that talk. Smith had talks of going to the lions before his bad workouts and offseason. All said and done he is a mid-late first round prospect.

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 02:35 PM
so supporting caste listed a bunch of guys who sucked and had bad workouts. You could write a freakin' novel of guys who had ****** workouts and still were justttt fine in the NFL. I'm not saying he shouldn't slip, but if coaches are confident they'll keep the fire lit under his ass, you're getting a perennial pro bowler, simple as that. And I'd like to see supporting caste's garbage argument on how Davis wasn't even that good on the field. please, enlighten me oh one of great knowledge.

FUNBUNCHER
03-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Didn't AD do a full workout at the combine??

Probably woke up before the pro day and decided he had nothing left to show teams that he hadn't already.

Giantsfan1080
03-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I read he was sick and did show at the combine and was told to go home. Then they got on him for not showing up at all so who knows what really happened.

CC.SD
03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Anyone who thinks this is a big deal: I humbly direct you to #6 overall pick Andre Smith.

DraftBreakdown
03-11-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6kImdMJW0g&feature=sub
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6kImdMJW0g&feature=sub)
Here's a video Will Spencer took from Rutger's pro day if anyone's interested.

RWills
03-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Anyone who thinks this is a big deal: I humbly direct you to #6 overall pick Andre Smith.

and Andre Smith was considered a #1 possible pick at the beginning of the season, so yes he did hurt himself. Smith and Davis are on different levels of character issues and talent. Smith's was the media being the media while Davis has shown consistent behavior

redbills
03-11-2010, 04:36 PM

Maybe I am tired of lazy OTs??????

03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Anthony Davis = Winston Justice

:(

Scotty D
03-11-2010, 04:43 PM

He was drafted by the Bengals. Just sayin'

Babylon
03-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Didn't AD do a full workout at the combine??

Probably woke up before the pro day and decided he had nothing left to show teams that he hadn't already.

People were expecting him to show up at the pro day and improve on a less than stellar bench and a slow 40 time, i dont know what he's thinking.

FUNBUNCHER
03-11-2010, 04:53 PM
He's so young, 20 yearsold, that to be as good as he is already, teams will take a chance that he will keep in line once they get him signed and into their program.

prock
03-11-2010, 05:03 PM
scottyboy's homerism here is disgusting. davis is a top 10 talent who would drop out of the top 20 if he didnt play such a premium position. the guy is a ******* dumbass. he is so naturally gifted, but if he doesnt get his **** together, he will bust hard.

superman8456
03-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Anthony Davis = Winston Justice

:(

Not at all.

03-11-2010, 05:13 PM
He was drafted by the Bengals. Just sayin'

And he somehow couldn't find himself onto the field. Injuries, I know, and I also realize they put together a decent group last season, but this is a top 10 pick at a position that is expected to contribute immediately.

essential
03-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm a Bills fan and I still want him at #9, the predraft stuff doesn't bother me enough to change my pick. We need to take a chance at possible elite talent at some point. We keep drafting low floor guys in the top 12, solid starters but not play makers.

I still want Davis, worth the risk.

TonyGfortheTD
03-11-2010, 09:40 PM

Comparing him to Andre Smith is ridiculous. Andre Smith was guilty of taking bad advice from an agent (which led to a horrific video) and people weren't questioning if he actually gave a damn about football.

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 10:10 PM
yup, my homerism is disgusting. I've only seen the guy 20+ more times during games than everyone here talking **** on him, no big deal. cool, people talk down on him after bad reports and workouts. I mean, Kenny Britt had a huge character issue that just KILLED the Titans right? god, this is stupid. Yes, he's had an awful offseason, but honestly, who gives a **** if he comes into the season in shape, ready to play, and plays the way he can. god the ignorance on here is fantastic

03-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Not at all.

Not as a prospect. But he could experience a meteoric fall closer to Oher's than Justice's.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Yes, he's had an awful offseason, but honestly, who gives a **** if he comes into the season in shape, ready to play, and plays the way he can.

No one will care if he does all those things.

The concern is that teams are looking at handing this kid what is essentially a 25+ million dollar check before he so much as promises to do any of those things and his actions to date sure do suggest the possibility that he won't do any of those things. More over, the fact he's as talented as he is makes things worse, not better. If Davis had put in the work and rocked this offseason like he was capable of doing, teams would be considering giving him 10-15 million more guaranteed than they are right now.

The concern is, if the love of the work isn't there and he wasn't even willing to put in the time to make himself that extra cash this offseason, what kind of guy are you getting?

Forenci
03-11-2010, 10:19 PM
yup, my homerism is disgusting. I've only seen the guy 20+ more times during games than everyone here talking **** on him, no big deal. cool, people talk down on him after bad reports and workouts. I mean, Kenny Britt had a huge character issue that just KILLED the Titans right? god, this is stupid. Yes, he's had an awful offseason, but honestly, who gives a **** if he comes into the season in shape, ready to play, and plays the way he can. god the ignorance on here is fantastic

No offense Scotty, and I do think people are making a bigger deal of this than they should, but you are coming off like a huge Rutgers homer, and it's hard to expect otherwise as are the self-proclaimed biggest Rutgers homer on SWDC and proud of it.

And what if he doesn't come into camp in shape, isn't ready to play, and continues his immaturity like we've seen a million NFL players do? Then what? What if he gets drafted lower than he expects and holds out?

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 10:26 PM
ok i'm slihgtky drunk and dont even remember posting thast, ****.

03-11-2010, 10:28 PM
ok i'm slihgtky drunk and dont even remember posting thast, ****.

So, now you're drunk? haha

TACKLE
03-11-2010, 10:31 PM
So, now you're drunk? haha

That's what happens when there is a thread about the greatest Rutgers prospect off all-time falling in the draft.

03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
That's what happens when there is a thread about the greatest Rutgers prospect off all-time falling in the draft.

You know you're in trouble when the biggest Rutgers homer can't even defend you anymore lol.

josh07039
03-11-2010, 10:47 PM
yup, my homerism is disgusting. I've only seen the guy 20+ more times during games than everyone here talking **** on him, no big deal. cool, people talk down on him after bad reports and workouts. I mean, Kenny Britt had a huge character issue that just KILLED the Titans right? god, this is stupid. Yes, he's had an awful offseason, but honestly, who gives a **** if he comes into the season in shape, ready to play, and plays the way he can. god the ignorance on here is fantasticI would just like to go on record as saying that I was talking **** and I imagine that you have not see 20 times more of AD than I have.

senormysterioso
03-11-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm a big fan of Davis' terrible offseason if it leads to him sliding all the way to Green Bay.

SenorGato
03-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm a big fan of Davis' terrible offseason if it leads to him sliding all the way to Green Bay.

+1

I love that like 12 guys have had good offseasons in this draft...makes everyone a possibility at any pick.

I'm just kidding, I hate it. I do like that it'll make guys like Hardy and Oghobaase more obtainable for the Jets if they chose to listen to uh...me.

scottyboy
03-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I would just like to go on record as saying that I was talking **** and I imagine that you have not see 20 times more of AD than I have.

you dont count, you're gere with me! <3 rutgersssss
i'll set all these ignant haters straight tomorroww

prock
03-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Actually josh was taking a neutral, realistic stance on the issue. Anthony Davis has huge character issues. He has proven himself to be fairly lazy. He doesn't have a work ethic and has always just relied on his incredible talent and size. Talent and size don't get you by in the NFL. Work ethic combined with talent and size will. If a team is going to spend 25 million dollars on a guy, he better have a work ethic.

TACKLE
03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Actually josh was taking a neutral, realistic stance on the issue. Anthony Davis has huge character issues. He has proven himself to be fairly lazy. He doesn't have a work ethic and has always just relied on his incredible talent and size. Talent and size don't get you by in the NFL. Work ethic combined with talent and size will. If a team is going to spend 25 million dollars on a guy, he better have a work ethic.

Anthony Davis does not have "huge character issues". That is a big overstatement. As far as I know, he's had no off-field issues. No academic issues. There were no reports from the combine with him having any problems in the interviews. What are these "huge character concerns" you are referencing? You speculate laziness but this is a guy who was playing around 350lbs as a freshman and has worked his way down to athletic 320-325. He has been noticeably more and more athletic each year at Rutgers. This can only be attributed to his some kind of work ethic. Technically, he has improved every year and has a really solid kick step and a great punch. You make it sound like he is just a raw talent who has no technique, no work ethic and no desire.

Yes he had a poor off-season but I think it has been more about poor choices. He didn't have a great combine but I think the expectations on him were too high coming in. He was expected to have excellent workout but he had just a not bad workout. People are putting in too much emphasis into a combine workout for a O-Lineman. It really shouldn't have nearly as much influence in the evaluation that some make it out to be. His pro-day was handled very poorly but if he felt he wasn't healthy enough to participate and to put show his best, why would he workout. I put a lot of that on his agent as the agent should take the bulk of the responsibility as far contacting the teams and information them on his status.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Davis but I feel your claims are unfounded. Davis was a guy on the edge - if he had a great workout, he could have challenged for the #1 OT spot. Some of his stock was dependent on him having a great workout. And when he didn't, his drop in stock is to be expected. I agree that Anthony Davis' stock is falling. But I'm not going to label him with "huge character concerns" because he didn't live up to combine expectations, was not healthy for his pro-day and did a poor job at communicating. Those questions are not great enough for me to have major concerns about his character.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-12-2010, 12:29 AM
I think the problem is that the offensive tackles that are sure-fire first round picks are very tightly packed. For any one guy to make a misstep invites the possibility of him falling to bottom of that pack, which could turn out to quite a difference in terms of draft spot and rookie contract.

papa burgundy
03-12-2010, 02:47 AM
I hope he continues to fall.. all the way to 13 where the Niners can gladly scoop him up.

Shane P. Hallam
03-12-2010, 04:25 AM
His fall isn't about his offseason per say, but because it has amplified the concern around the league that he lacks an NFL work ethic.

J-Mike88
03-12-2010, 06:39 AM
He's acting like an immature kid, but who isn't at his age? He's 20 years old. He'll make mistakes, but it doesn't change how talented he is.
A lot of the other 20 & 21-year olds aren't. You think that's the norm what he's pulled?

prock
03-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Anthony Davis does not have "huge character issues". That is a big overstatement. As far as I know, he's had no off-field issues. No academic issues. There were no reports from the combine with him having any problems in the interviews. What are these "huge character concerns" you are referencing? You speculate laziness but this is a guy who was playing around 350lbs as a freshman and has worked his way down to athletic 320-325. He has been noticeably more and more athletic each year at Rutgers. This can only be attributed to his some kind of work ethic. Technically, he has improved every year and has a really solid kick step and a great punch. You make it sound like he is just a raw talent who has no technique, no work ethic and no desire.

Yes he had a poor off-season but I think it has been more about poor choices. He didn't have a great combine but I think the expectations on him were too high coming in. He was expected to have excellent workout but he had just a not bad workout. People are putting in too much emphasis into a combine workout for a O-Lineman. It really shouldn't have nearly as much influence in the evaluation that some make it out to be. His pro-day was handled very poorly but if he felt he wasn't healthy enough to participate and to put show his best, why would he workout. I put a lot of that on his agent as the agent should take the bulk of the responsibility as far contacting the teams and information them on his status.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Davis but I feel your claims are unfounded. Davis was a guy on the edge - if he had a great workout, he could have challenged for the #1 OT spot. Some of his stock was dependent on him having a great workout. And when he didn't, his drop in stock is to be expected. I agree that Anthony Davis' stock is falling. But I'm not going to label him with "huge character concerns" because he didn't live up to combine expectations, was not healthy for his pro-day and did a poor job at communicating. Those questions are not great enough for me to have major concerns about his character.

I don't care about the combine workout. I care about a guy who doesn't show up for his interview, is overweight, and is reportedly lazy. I really like Davis as a prospect, but the point of my last post, which may have been an over reaction, was that Anthony Davis has had a ****** offseason which has definitely shown the light on his negative traits, namely his laziness. I think Davis will be a very good player, but he has a good bust percentage. And to me, "huge character concerns" include things like showing up overweight and missing an interview. I would much rather have a guy who smokes weed or beat his girlfriend than a guy who is lazy.

scottyboy
03-12-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't care about the combine workout. I care about a guy who doesn't show up for his interview, is overweight, and is reportedly lazy. I really like Davis as a prospect, but the point of my last post, which may have been an over reaction, was that Anthony Davis has had a ****** offseason which has definitely shown the light on his negative traits, namely his laziness. I think Davis will be a very good player, but he has a good bust percentage. And to me, "huge character concerns" include things like showing up overweight and missing an interview. I would much rather have a guy who smokes weed or beat his girlfriend than a guy who is lazy.

I mean a guy in jail for domestic abuse will be way more productive than a lazy guy, right?

Hines
03-12-2010, 09:37 AM

That last line was absolultely ridiculous. Give me a lazy, potential player than a guy who is a coward and has to hit women. I can't believe you pretty much promoted domestic violence.

FUNBUNCHER
03-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Dudes who beat women ultimately will divide a lockerroom.

Anthony Davis still goes around the same pick that Oher did, someplace in the 20s ( if not higher). If he keeps his weight down, his competitive streak will carry him until he matures into an NFL pro.

prock
03-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Maybe beating women is a bad example. But a guy with a rap sheet who works his ass off is going to be a hell of a lot more productive than a guy who is lazy and doesn't care.

Prowler
03-12-2010, 04:20 PM
i would say "this is a business, not a beauty pageant" is the line you're going for.

prock
03-12-2010, 04:21 PM
i would say "this is a business, not a beauty pageant" is the line you're going for.

Precisely.

Saints-Tigers
03-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Anthony Davis is now the guy that had a slight concern get said so many times that people turned it into something it really isn't.

Yea.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Anthony Davis is now the guy that had a slight concern get said so many times that people turned it into something it really isn't.

Yea.

Because no one who is drafted high in the NFL Draft ever fails and all supposed red flags prior to the draft should be dismissed as superfluous nonsense, right?

Rosebud
03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
I don't think the giants even think about drafting him. Him being a local product actually probably hurts him because we can't just take him out of his environment and make him be good.

Saints-Tigers
03-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Because no one who is drafted high in the NFL Draft ever fails and all supposed red flags prior to the draft should be dismissed as superfluous nonsense, right?

That's totally what I said. You must have graduated top of your class at the school of NJX

LickaMahfeetz
03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
I have to say I still think he is very talented. Someone who I thought was better than Okung last year. After hearing about his demeanor during interviews, he was starting to remind me of Alex Barron. Now, even more so.

scottyboy
03-12-2010, 06:03 PM
all I'm saying is that people shouldn't overlook his obvious top 10 talent with his stupid immature mistakes(Laziness) and his bad offseason. this is a guy who was being talked about constantly around here (many mocks as well) as easy top 10 and a shocker if he fell. that's off talent people. now the laziness is a factor, but I believe an NFL coaching stuff can whip his lazy ass into shape. Schiano did it during the season and it worked for the most part. His talent and potential is undeniable. HIm having such a catastrophic fall or being worse than women beaters and drunks...well that's just typical, nonsesnsical NFL Draft board over-reactions.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-12-2010, 06:08 PM
That's totally what I said. You must have graduated top of your class at the school of NJX

This isn't a concern being repeated so much that people start to adopt it. It is a guy with concrete concerns who just compounded the problem by failing to get with a program that is potentially offering him tens of millions of dollars.

Tell me, what are we turning this into that it isn't?

Saints-Tigers
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
He went from a guy that was lazy and not living up to his potential, to a guy that was useless and would be worse than someone that beats his wife, lol.

LonghornsLegend
03-12-2010, 07:59 PM
I would much rather have a guy who smokes weed or beat his girlfriend than a guy who is lazy.

LOL. This was pretty funny to read, I don't think you thought this through very much when you posted it because the last part is ignorant and hilariously funny all at once.

Also in regards to the weed smoking, if you smoke weed chances are VERY high your lazy too. So I don't know why you'd say you would rather have a weed smoker over a lazy guy when those two go hand in hand.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-12-2010, 08:05 PM
He went from a guy that was lazy and not living up to his potential, to a guy that was useless and would be worse than someone that beats his wife, lol.

Oh. I'm not defending that. Anthony Davis still has massive potential and will still be drafted in the first 20 picks.

Rosebud
03-12-2010, 08:11 PM
LOL. This was pretty funny to read, I don't think you thought this through very much when you posted it because the last part is ignorant and hilariously funny all at once.

Also in regards to the weed smoking, if you smoke weed chances are VERY high your lazy too. So I don't know why you'd say you would rather have a weed smoker over a lazy guy when those two go hand in hand.

There are plenty stoners who aren't lazy de-generates. In fact the hardest working kid I've ever met in college was a former crackhead who'd get high and make notecards for hours on end. Also knew a guy who kept himself in incredible shape by getting high and working out everyday, actually know a lot of people who go this route now that I think about it.

It's a nice stereo-type that all stoners are lazy and a lot of stoners are lazy but a lot of people also mature with the drug and become hard working individuals who just happen to have more fun doing mundane repetitive tasks because they don't tackle them sober.

iowatreat54
03-12-2010, 08:16 PM
There are plenty stoners who aren't lazy de-generates. In fact the hardest working kid I've ever met in college was a former crackhead who'd get high and make notecards for hours on end. Also knew a guy who kept himself in incredible shape by getting high and working out everyday, actually know a lot of people who go this route now that I think about it.

It's a nice stereo-type that all stoners are lazy and a lot of stoners are lazy but a lot of people also mature with the drug and become hard working individuals who just happen to have more fun doing mundane repetitive tasks because they don't tackle them sober.

I endorse this message because I lived with a kid who was very relaxed normally, but when he got high he spent like half the day working on stuff. A lot of it might have to do with if you have high anxiety, where it will calm you down and you can get things done.

As for Davis, he should continue to refuse workouts and piss off teams. Then he can fall to the 3rd round for the Bears. Since Bulaga ruined my dreams by coming out this year instead of next. :(

StorminNorman
03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Would love for him to drop to 2-2.

Saints-Tigers
03-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Oh. I'm not defending that. Anthony Davis still has massive potential and will still be drafted in the first 20 picks.

And I'm not saying his work ethic won't hurt him, I just hate hyperbole :)

Rosebud
03-12-2010, 08:20 PM
I endorse this message because I lived with a kid who was very relaxed normally, but when he got high he spent like half the day working on stuff. A lot of it might have to do with if you have high anxiety, where it will calm you down and you can get things done.

As for Davis, he should continue to refuse workouts and piss off teams. Then he can fall to the 3rd round for the Bears. Since Bulaga ruined my dreams by coming out this year instead of next. :(

No faith in Chris Williams?

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2010, 08:21 PM

The common misconception is all stoners are lazy worthless lowlifes. In fact, you will find just as many very productive smokers as you will lazy smokers...

iowatreat54
03-12-2010, 08:22 PM
No faith in Chris Williams?

I'm still on the fence with him. At times he is great, but other times he just looks like a lost little puppy. Hopefully that's just an experience thing.

However, having Chris Williams and Bulaga/Davis as tackles = sex.

RealityCheck
03-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Didn't know scottyboy was such a homer. He takes stabs at anything that doesn't praise RU, it's stupid.

Big Tony is not a Top 10 talent at all.

LonghornsLegend
03-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Didn't know scottyboy was such a homer.

You do know the world isn't flat right?

RealityCheck
03-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah, whatever.

scottyboy
03-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Didn't know scottyboy was such a homer. He takes stabs at anything that doesn't praise RU, it's stupid.

Big Tony is not a Top 10 talent at all.

takes stabs at everything that doesn't praise RU? that's exactly it...
I mean, of course you know that Davis isn't a top 10 talent, you read all over the internet that his stock is falling because he's lazy and i bet you've never seen him play more than twice. So enlighten me, oh draft guru, why is he not a top 10 talent? I've called Davis stupid and lazy multiple times in this thread, but will stick to his top 10 talent through and through. yes, I'm a homer, but I know when I'm right. when people who don't know what they're talking about go around dissing a guy from my school, then yea, i'm gonna "take stabs" at that.
my lord, it's mid-march and the ******* crazies come out in full force.

Hines
03-12-2010, 09:11 PM
takes stabs at everything that doesn't praise RU? that's exactly it...
I mean, of course you know that Davis isn't a top 10 talent, you read all over the internet that his stock is falling because he's lazy and i bet you've never seen him play more than twice. So enlighten me, oh draft guru, why is he not a top 10 talent? I've called Davis stupid and lazy multiple times in this thread, but will stick to his top 10 talent through and through. yes, I'm a homer, but I know when I'm right. when people who don't know what they're talking about go around dissing a guy from my school, then yea, i'm gonna "take stabs" at that.
my lord, it's mid-march and the ******* crazies come out in full force.

Mohammad Sanu sucks! Tom Savage is an average quarterback!

scottyboy
03-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Mohammad Sanu sucks! Tom Savage is an average quarterback!

you better go to the NHL Thread and take your 3-1 whipping there boy. marty's backkkkk

Rosebud
03-12-2010, 09:50 PM

That's what the government wants you to think...They're just hiding the icewall and the penguins that protect it from the sheeple...

phlysac
03-12-2010, 09:56 PM
In fact, you will find just as many very productive smokers as you will lazy smokers...

"In fact"? I'd like to see that comprehensive study.

Incogneetus69
03-14-2010, 12:56 PM

LOL

Then how do you explain all the great games?

prock
03-14-2010, 07:57 PM

everyone smokes weed.

EDIT - go back a page where i said beating your girlfriend is a bad example and a hyperbole, but the nfl is a business, not a beauty pagent.

RWills
03-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Adam Schein from NFL radio was saying he heard from multiple higher ups that Anthony Davis could very easily be in the second round, he turned off that many people.

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2010, 11:36 AM
When your picking late in the 1st you welcome all the top 20 prospects who may go on a free for all like McClain, Davis, Haden, whoever else may slip on draft day. I'd welcome any of them at #27, especially Davis so we could keep
Free on the right side. I doubt he slides that far, but maybe far enough to make it reasonable to move up.

Cicero
03-15-2010, 12:03 PM
When your picking late in the 1st you welcome all the top 20 prospects who may go on a free for all like McClain, Davis, Haden, whoever else may slip on draft day. I'd welcome any of them at #27, especially Davis so we could keep
Free on the right side. I doubt he slides that far, but maybe far enough to make it reasonable to move up.

Davis seems like a Cowboy lineman. I could definitely see that pick. Would you want Free on the left side to start the season or Davis though?

senormysterioso
03-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Is Flozell Adams gone?

Cicero
03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Is Flozell Adams gone?

If you're a Cowboys fan feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that nothing is for sure yet but there is a very real chance that he gets cut.

senormysterioso
03-15-2010, 01:26 PM
If you're a Cowboys fan feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that nothing is for sure yet but there is a very real chance that he gets cut.

If he's cut, I hope it's from behind when he's already engaged with another blocker.

Boom! Roasted.

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Flozell is probably back 1 more year, and yes there is a legit possibility he's cut but if I'd put it around 20%. Only chance he gets cut is if we can find a legit LT ready to step in from day one. Even a guy like Anthony Davis or Charles Brown would probably result in Flozell playing 1 more year and letting those guys sit. If we don't land any of those top tier tackles Doug Free will continue to play LT which is his natural position anyway and Columbo has alot more years left as a RT then Flozell on the left.

I don't think were really in the market to grab a LT, but if one happens to slide that's different. Free was great on the right, it's more of an unknown how he'll do on the left so ideally it would be nice to grab a franchise guy you feel comfortable putting on the left side.

I just don't see many LT's who will be available when we pick good enough to start from day one and let us release Flo. He was solid majority of the year, and while he still has his faults he would make the transition easier for a rookie to move over full-time.

Davis seems like a Cowboy lineman. I could definitely see that pick. Would you want Free on the left side to start the season or Davis though?

Just to reiterate, my guess would be Jerry would want to keep Free on the Right where he has already looked very good, and give Flozell one more year on the left especially since Davis is young and supposedly a bit immature. If we put him on the right, and Free on the left, that's 2 unknowns on the offensive line. FWIW, Free is the future on the line but if we draft a future LT he'd still go back to the bench behind Columbo on the right for now. Columbo was rusty coming back from injury but he's far from washed up. I just think it's highly likely Davis would sit a year on the bench and learn LT, Flozell sucks pretty bad at times but I think it be tough to imagine a rookie doing better then him especially in crucial situations.

Supporting Caste
03-15-2010, 01:41 PM
If he's cut, I hope it's from behind when he's already engaged with another blocker.

Boom! Roasted.

That was stupid. Pat yourself on the back a few more times.

Iamcanadian
03-15-2010, 02:14 PM
According to Mayock, there is a strong possibility that 4 OT's go in the top 10 picks including Davis. He's fallen to #4 on Mayock's list but still is a huge talent.

senormysterioso
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
That was stupid. Pat yourself on the back a few more times.

No, Propagandhi sucks and the only people that listen to them are quasi-intellectual pretentious douche bags with philosophy degrees from state schools that end up working at communist book stores in Portland Oregon.