J.Konzzzzz anyone?

ToldLikeItIs
03-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Are those real numbers?

He's White too..

Jimmy
03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
hello 2nd round.
http://www.kentstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11400&ATCLID=204906369

Projected as a tight end/wide receiver in the NFL, the fifth-year senior turned in a 46-inch vertical leap and a 4.38 40-yard dash among his other measurements. Konzí vertical leap was two inches better than what any player turned in at the recent NFL combine, while his 40 time would have ranked second among all tight ends and wide receivers.

ToldLikeItIs
03-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Wild numbers..

Babylon
03-11-2010, 08:10 PM
You wonder what guys like this would produce at football factories like Bama and SC. Kent State has produced some sleepers like Gates and Edelman so maybe he'll get a chance. The numbers are pretty remarkable for a guy that size.

RedVision
03-11-2010, 08:21 PM
It make me wonder 2 things.

1. Why he wasn't recruited at those football factories

2. Why he couldn't dominate with those physical skills.

Jimmy
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
perhaps he is just so mind blowingly mediocre at football that his freakish athletic ability can't even compromise that much

looks to me/feels a lot to me like matt jones sans cocaine

Grizzlegom
03-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Julian Edelman 2.0?

Babylon
03-11-2010, 08:33 PM

Clay Matthews was a 190lb walkon at SC who would probably have been told to hit the road if he wasnt Clay Matthews kid. A lot can happen between highschool and your senior year in college.

senormysterioso
03-11-2010, 08:40 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics16/200/LN/LNJYUHFPGQDEEPQ.20071113185711.jpg

With those flowing blonde locks, he's a....lock....to play in Green Bay.

chocolatebutterr
03-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm currently a Kent State student and I have been watching this kid play for the past three seasons.

As a linebacker he was probably our best linebacker back in the 07 season, but thats not saying much on our football team. At tightend he never turned into anything special. First year they moved him there he was hurt most of the season and only had 2 catches. This past year he put in a decent year, but nothing outstanding. 21 catches, 298 yards and a couple TDs.

He is an absolute freak athlete though. I have a pretty close friend whos been on the team for a couple years, told me a couple years back right before they moved Konz to tight end he managed to clock in a low 4.3 time on one of his 40s. But I would be surprised if someone drafts him before the 7th round, if at all. His raw athleticism gives him potential and he has pretty good size, both height and bulk. I've seen him around campus and I'd say hes closer to 6'4. But it never really translated into anything spectacular on the field, in what for the most part is a pretty weak conference. If a team can get him very late or as an undrafted free agent, he is definitely worth a look based on his measureables alone.

And as far as Edelman 2.0, I really really don't see it happening. Edelman didn't have the timed straight-line speed like Konz, but Edelman was crafty and agile. He would stop on a dime and make defenders miss and pull of a lot of quick little side steps and spins for extra yardage. Edelman was just a much more fluid, overall superior athlete.

Woody56
03-11-2010, 10:07 PM
no production>40 time

Don Vito
03-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Julian Edelman 2.0?

Well they are both white and played at Kent State...besides that I can't find any similarities, either that or my sarcasm radar is failing me miserably. If you are going to use that logic he is more Antonio Gates than Edleman lol

Edelman was a non BCS conference QB picked in the seventh round to play the slot at 6-0 190 with mid 4.5 speed and a 36 inch vert. This dude has almost 50 pounds on Edelman, is .2 seconds faster in the 40, and has 10 inches more of a vert. Kotz does look to offer some versatility, he caught 21 balls for 300 yards with 2 TDs as a senior after being converted from DE. Don't know if he is like anyone recently, closest would be Connor Barwin in my opinion.

descendency
03-12-2010, 12:53 AM
no way he makes it into the second round but he will be a mid round pick. You can't have freakish athleticism and not get drafted unless you are an idiot... (see mike williams)

ToldLikeItIs
03-12-2010, 05:07 AM
Awesome man

RGVBadBoy
03-12-2010, 06:02 AM
IF the kid has any instincts he's a WLB or SS at the next level, I seriously doubt he plays Offense in the NFL. Perrenial special teamer IMO, but I'll take him for my Cowboys just to prove me wrong:)

WesleyInWichita
03-12-2010, 10:36 AM

He played out of position as an undersized LB (about 210 lbs) coming out of high school because according to the head coach Doug Martin at Kent State, the team "had a need at that position" and Konz was the best option they had.

It wasn't until his senior year that Kent State moved him to offense (TE), and then he injured his ankle (torn ligaments) in the 1st quarter of the first game against Boston College in 2008. He got a medical redshirt and came back for a 5th year, but then they moved him again from TE to WR/H-back.

So by the time he played in his final year in college, he had played 3 different positions in 3 years (LB, TE, WR/H-back). Then the starting QB who he had been practicing with during spring drills (Giorgio Morgan) got injured early in the 2009 season, so Kent State was forced to start a true freshman QB (Spencer Keith), who actually played decent for being thrust into a starting role.

Anyone who knows football realizes that the relationship between QB and WR/TE is all about timing and repetition. The new starting QB and Konz did not have much time to work on timing as the injury to the other QB happened during the season. So IMO, it's a function of a young, true freshman QB, and a guy in Konz who was playing a new position, which leads to just so-so numbers for his only full season on offense in college. But when he has the opportunity to spend time with an accurate professional QB, and work on timing and route running, I think you'll see his true potential come out.

Konz has already been scouted by quite a few NFL teams in previous years, and when more NFL teams work him out, they'll see what talent this guy possesses. There aren't many 6-3, 235 lb players who run 4.38 40s; you can't teach speed and jumping ability. You either have it or you don't.

Pryme
03-12-2010, 10:59 AM
With the 8th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, the Raiders select...

ElectricEye
03-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Wow. He certainly has the workout numbers and the hair to make it. Not sure he gets drafted, but it's always interesting to see someone as unknown as this come in and put out sick numbers.

Big Bird
03-12-2010, 02:36 PM
He has been billed as an athletic freak for quite some time. Granted, I wasn't expecting these kind of numbers, but the kid is a freak and, at least I thought, it was pretty well known before this...

ALP1987
03-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Hes physically gifted but it didn't seem to translate to on the field production. 21 receptions for 298 yards and 2 tds isn't anything special.

If he would have posted those numbers at the Combine (he didn't get an invite tho) it would have helped him more like DHB but since its at his Pro Day it isn't going to be as much of a focal point.

I could still see a team using a late pick on him tho.

Was he not used or used sparingly in their system?

ALP1987
03-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Just an odd quick quote.

"Kent State linebacker/fullback Jameson Konz put on an impressive display in his personal workout this morning at the school's lonely pro day. Because Kent's pro day conflicted with those of major schools with multiple prospects, such as Nebraska, Idaho, Oregon and Boston College, attendance at Kent was scarce. In fact, the Browns were the only NFL team to send a scout. What he saw was Konz put on an athletic display described as "freakish." Konz measured 6-3 and 234 pounds. He was timed in the 40-yard dash at 4.46 seconds. Asked to run a second one, he timed 4.38. Konz also posted a 46-inch vertical jump and a broad jump of 10 feet, 8-1/4 inches. Konz is considered a prospect to play tight end, H-back or fullback in the NFL. His numbers better the top figures posted by any tight end or fullback at the NFL Scouting Combine. When the results are circulated, Konz is expected to receive invitations to visit NFL teams for closer inspection. This is what happened to Kent State quarterback Julian Edelman last year, who eventually was drafted by New England in the seventh round and became a valuable receiver/special teamer as a rookie. - Tony Grossi, The Cleveland Plain Dealer "

At 6'3" and 235 and those measurables wouldn't he be better suited as WR or RB rather than TE or Fullback?

descendency
03-12-2010, 02:56 PM
At 6'3" and 235 and those measurables wouldn't he be better suited as WR or RB rather than TE or Fullback?

It's because he's white. Those are "white" positions.Not my opinion. Just what the media seems to think.

ALP1987
03-12-2010, 03:02 PM
It's because he's white. Those are "white" positions.Not my opinion. Just what the media seems to think.

Well.....I think since he posted those numbers he should definitely be considered a WR at the very least. Then again he could be a very fast TE like Dallas Clark.

The real question is this. Why was he playing LB/FB in college rather than a skilled position like WR/RB?

I guess he just could be a physically gifted player with no talent.

ToldLikeItIs
03-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Dallas Clark isn't that "fast", but he's incredibly quick. His shuttle was high 3.7's, which is unreal at that size.

chocolatebutterr
03-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Hes physically gifted but it didn't seem to translate to on the field production. 21 receptions for 298 yards and 2 tds isn't anything special.

If he would have posted those numbers at the Combine (he didn't get an invite tho) it would have helped him more like DHB but since its at his Pro Day it isn't going to be as much of a focal point.

I could still see a team using a late pick on him tho.

Was he not used or used sparingly in their system?

It wasn't that he wasn't used. He just didn't put up the big stats his workout numbers would lead you to believe he would be capable of in a conference like the MAC.

Last year was actually the best the Flashes passing offense has done in a few years. Edelman was not a good Quarterback, he was more of a runningback that happened to throw the ball once in awhile. True Freshman Spencer Keith put in a pretty nice year at QB last season, and gave everybodys stats a decent boost. He bettered Edelman in every passing category while only playing in 10 games and only starting 6 of those. He shared time with some of the older quarterbacks on top of that. While in 2008 Edelman started and played all 12 games.

08 Leading Recievers (Total Yards) -
642, 273, 192, 164, 142, 128, 104, 92.

09 Leading Recievers (Total Yards) -
755, 301, 298(Konz), 231, 205, 204, 154, 115.

So it wasn't that he wasn't used, he was #3 on the team in recieving yards in the best passing offense the Flashes have had in a few years. But the numbers still wern't mind blowing.

I think he is worth a late round round pick based on pure athleticism and potential. If he goes undrafted, somebody will surely bring him into camp. But he isn't going to have a rookie year as good as Edleman's was.

RealityCheck
03-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Raiders anyone?

I had to :D

WesleyInWichita
03-14-2010, 07:04 AM
It wasn't that he wasn't used. He just didn't put up the big stats his workout numbers would lead you to believe he would be capable of in a conference like the MAC.

Last year was actually the best the Flashes passing offense has done in a few years. Edelman was not a good Quarterback, he was more of a runningback that happened to throw the ball once in awhile. True Freshman Spencer Keith put in a pretty nice year at QB last season, and gave everybodys stats a decent boost. He bettered Edelman in every passing category while only playing in 10 games and only starting 6 of those. He shared time with some of the older quarterbacks on top of that. While in 2008 Edelman started and played all 12 games.

08 Leading Recievers (Total Yards) -
642, 273, 192, 164, 142, 128, 104, 92.

09 Leading Recievers (Total Yards) -
755, 301, 298(Konz), 231, 205, 204, 154, 115.

So it wasn't that he wasn't used, he was #3 on the team in recieving yards in the best passing offense the Flashes have had in a few years. But the numbers still wern't mind blowing.

I think he is worth a late round round pick based on pure athleticism and potential. If he goes undrafted, somebody will surely bring him into camp. But he isn't going to have a rookie year as good as Edleman's was.

I'd like to hear someone looking at the number of receptions for the Kent State receivers explain the disparity last year between the top 3 receivers (Goode, Pressley/Garner, and Konz).

Of those top 3 leading receivers at Kent State last year, how many targets did they receive versus Konz ? Was Konz the 3rd or 4th option on many play calls after Goode, Pressley/Garner, and the RB coming out of the backfield (Archer/Terry) ? Would that help explain his lack of receptions ?

http://tinyurl.com/ybchpwh

nofalcons10
03-14-2010, 08:35 AM
i don't care about receptions. if the Kid can play linebacker i want him on defense.

his 4.42 average 40 time would've been better than other undersized linebackers at the combine like dekota watson, rennie curran, and daryl washington.

nepg
03-14-2010, 08:36 AM
You wonder what guys like this would produce at football factories like Bama and SC. Kent State has produced some sleepers like Gates and Edelman so maybe he'll get a chance. The numbers are pretty remarkable for a guy that size.

Kent State is a football factory.

James Harrison
Antonio Gates
Joshua Cribbs
Julian Edelman
Abram Elam
Daniel Muir

Also hailing from Kent State: Jack Lambert, Nick Saban, Gary Pinkel, Lou Holtz, and Dom Capers...

RealityCheck
03-14-2010, 08:38 AM
Bingo.

I'm getting fed up with all this discrimination among white players in those positions.

And there's still the small school thing. If he went to USC or UF he'd be the next Vernon Davis.

WesleyInWichita
03-14-2010, 08:44 AM
i don't care about receptions. if the Kid can play linebacker i want him on defense.

his 4.42 average 40 time would've been better than other undersized linebackers at the combine like dekota watson, rennie curran, and daryl washington.

He'll make a better possession WR at the next level, IMO. His size, strength, speed, and athleticism make him very difficult to cover. He'll need to work on catching the ball in traffic. He only played on offense for 1 year in college so he needs a lot of reps from a pro QB to work on timing and running routes.

But then, Julian Edelman faced the same challenge last year and did very well for the Patiots. So we'll see how it turns out for this guy. He certainly has all the tools to do well.

nepg
03-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Well they are both white and played at Kent State...besides that I can't find any similarities, either that or my sarcasm radar is failing me miserably. If you are going to use that logic he is more Antonio Gates than Edleman lol

Edelman was a non BCS conference QB picked in the seventh round to play the slot at 6-0 190 with mid 4.5 speed and a 36 inch vert. This dude has almost 50 pounds on Edelman, is .2 seconds faster in the 40, and has 10 inches more of a vert. Kotz does look to offer some versatility, he caught 21 balls for 300 yards with 2 TDs as a senior after being converted from DE. Don't know if he is like anyone recently, closest would be Connor Barwin in my opinion.

I agree. Reverse Connor Barwin.

WesleyInWichita
03-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Bingo.

I'm getting fed up with all this discrimination among white players in those positions.

And there's still the small school thing. If he went to USC or UF he'd be the next Vernon Davis.

Interesting that you mentioned this. There's actually a website that talks about this very subject. I'm not saying I buy into it one way or the other, just that I found it interesting.

http://www.castefootball.us/aboutus.asp

RealityCheck
03-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Interesting that you mentioned this. There's actually a website that talks about this very subject. I'm not saying I buy into it one way or the other, just that I found it interesting.

Like this site has never been mentioned here before.

I kind of agree with all this philosophy, but not totally.

Looking at that site, it seems kind of racist. You need to have a balance, not talk all about white players.

superman8456
03-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Connor Barwin of this year? Maybe... but will get drafted way later.

WesleyInWichita
03-17-2010, 11:02 AM

I found this article from ESPN.com by Adam Rittenberg about Kent State written after spring drills in 2008 where the head coach, Doug Martin, comments on wishing he had moved Konz to offense earlier.

I still think he projects as a WR/H-back/pass catching TE. But who really knows what position some NFL team will play him given his numbers and experience ? It is obvious that this guy has the tools to play pro football somewhere. Coach him up !

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3389941

2. Masterful move: With plenty of capable bodies at linebacker, Martin shifted two-year starter Jameson Konz to tight end this spring. Just weeks into practice, Martin admitted he wished Konz had made the transition a year earlier. Konz's speed and strength provides Edelman another weapon in the passing game, which ranked 111th nationally and loses starting tight end Tom Sitko. "His natural position is on the offensive side of the ball," Martin said of Konz. "You watch the way he catches the ball and runs routes and makes plays on offense, that is where he belongs."

keylime_5
03-17-2010, 11:04 AM
special teamer. or oakland raider starter, whichever.

zachsaints52
03-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Last time I wanted a athlete freak for the Saints, I got my wish. Who was it? Walter Thomas. Ten minutes into the first TC practice, he was gone. If he has good work ethic to match the physical abilities, I would love the Saints to take a flyer on him for TE.

mqtirishfan
03-17-2010, 01:06 PM

New poster whose only posts so far are in this thread whips out a castefootball link? Something's fishy here.

Anyway, those are some seriously impressive numbers. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a mid-round pick for GB.

WesleyInWichita
03-17-2010, 01:20 PM
New poster whose only posts so far are in this thread whips out a castefootball link? Something's fishy here.

Anyway, those are some seriously impressive numbers. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a mid-round pick for GB.

I am new here and obviously was not aware that the aforementioned site had been discussed here. Honestly, I just stumbled onto that site within the last week. It sounds like it's rather controversial, but I haven't had the time to do enough reading on/about it to form a reasonable opinion.

What is so fishy about that ?

mqtirishfan
03-17-2010, 01:35 PM
I am new here and obviously was not aware that the aforementioned site had been discussed here. Honestly, I just stumbled onto that site within the last week. It sounds like it's rather controversial, but I haven't had the time to do enough reading on/about it to form a reasonable opinion.

What is so fishy about that ?

That it's a blatantly racist website would be the problem with posting about it with any other tone than indignation.

WesleyInWichita
03-17-2010, 01:54 PM
It's a blatantly racist website would be the problem with posting about with any other tone than indignation.

That's your opinion, and I have no problem with that. But I don't see why that makes any of my comments necessarily "fishy". Someone here (descendency 3-12-10 @01:56 PM) brought the subject up = It's because he's white. Those are "white" positions. Not my opinion. Just what the media seems to think.

You call it a racist site, OK, that's your opinion and that's fine by me. I have no connection to it and I don't know hardly anything about it as I just stumbled upon it the other day. The fact remains that there aren't many white players at certain positions, it's just the way it is.

Some may think it's a racial thing, I don't really have an opinion one way or the other. I think by and large, most successful NFL teams put the best players at the best positions to help them win, no matter the color of their skin.

For a long time there weren't many black QBs in the NFL, but now there are PLENTY who have had much success in the NFL. So there probably was a prior mindset amongst NFL player personnel people that said you need a QB to be white. It's also possible that the same could be true in an opposite way for other positions on the field.

mqtirishfan
03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
That's your opinion, and I have no problem with that. But I don't see why that makes any of my comments necessarily "fishy".

If you don't see how it could be considered interesting that a brand new poster mentions a clearly racist website with an agenda regarding the topic at hand, I don't know what to tell you. I didn't say you were necessarily pushing it, but that it was simply fishy, which it most certainly is. Fishy is not synonymous with guilty.

Razor
03-17-2010, 02:28 PM

Thank you! :D

WesleyInWichita
03-17-2010, 02:33 PM
If you don't see how it could be considered interesting that a brand new poster mentions a clearly racist website with an agenda regarding the topic at hand, I don't know what to tell you. I didn't say you were necessarily pushing it, but that it was simply fishy, which it most certainly is. Fishy is not synonymous with guilty.

Well then, so be it. I mentioned it in passing as I had literally just come across that site very recently. IMO, it has nothing to do with the outcome of where Jameson Konz will play on the field. Talent and production trumps almost everything else when it comes to professional sports.

I really don't care about this one way or the other (I'm just a fan and want my favorite teams to succeed), but since you've brought it to a point of discussion, would you agree that there appeared to be a racial bias against black QBs and black coaches in the past ? Would you agree that the same could be true in the opposite way for other positions in football ?

Larry121283
03-17-2010, 04:03 PM
He played linebacker and was a pretty good one until they swapped him over as a senior...pretty fast guy...

I think you are looking early on as a special teamer and developmental player at a FB, TE, LB, Special Teamer position.

ALP1987
03-17-2010, 04:07 PM
He played linebacker and was a pretty good one until they swapped him over as a senior...pretty fast guy...

I think you are looking early on as a special teamer and developmental player at a FB, TE, LB, Special Teamer position.

Yeah because we really need those 4.3 40 yard dash Fullbacks.

Larry121283
03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah because we really need those 4.3 40 yard dash Fullbacks.

Speed is irrelevant...he is most likely a special teamer in the NFL anyway...but, he can provide some position versatility...play a little FB or TE or "H-Back" maybe play some linebacker...

Just think how Zack DeOssie or Dan Klecko have been used around the NFL.

Good teams in the NFL use players like Konz.

K Train
03-17-2010, 07:36 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics16/200/LN/LNJYUHFPGQDEEPQ.20071113185711.jpg

With those flowing blonde locks, he's a....lock....to play in Green Bay.

no truer words have ever been spoken on a message board lol

WesleyInWichita
03-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Speed is irrelevant...he is most likely a special teamer in the NFL anyway...but, he can provide some position versatility...play a little FB or TE or "H-Back" maybe play some linebacker...

Just think how Zack DeOssie or Dan Klecko have been used around the NFL.

Good teams in the NFL use players like Konz.

http://bit.ly/cv5JKc

Sounds like he has his head screwed on straight. Says he's willing to play wherever the coaches think he can best help the team, offense or defense. Refreshing to hear about a guy who has the right attitude.

wogitalia
03-19-2010, 01:42 AM
Clearly he adds great value purely as a ST guy, which is where the 40 is most relevant.

Worst case you get a ST ace(you would hope), best case you get a guy to groom as a LB, TE, RB or WR, hell possibly even safety with that speed/explosiveness. I think he is a solid pick from round 5 on when you need ST guys who can project to a position and have future starter potential.

descendency
03-19-2010, 03:00 AM
The only film of him that seems to exist:

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v1125771tPkdzdHN

(1 play where he blows by the UK FB and gets a 13 yard sack)

nofalcons10
03-19-2010, 03:44 AM
I found this article from ESPN.com by Adam Rittenberg about Kent State written after spring drills in 2008 where the head coach, Doug Martin, comments on wishing he had moved Konz to offense earlier.

I still think he projects as a WR/H-back/pass catching TE. But who really knows what position some NFL team will play him given his numbers and experience ? It is obvious that this guy has the tools to play pro football somewhere. Coach him up !

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3389941

2. Masterful move: With plenty of capable bodies at linebacker, Martin shifted two-year starter Jameson Konz to tight end this spring. Just weeks into practice, Martin admitted he wished Konz had made the transition a year earlier. Konz's speed and strength provides Edelman another weapon in the passing game, which ranked 111th nationally and loses starting tight end Tom Sitko. "His natural position is on the offensive side of the ball," Martin said of Konz. "You watch the way he catches the ball and runs routes and makes plays on offense, that is where he belongs."

i'm speaking merely in regards to where i would want him if the saints drafted him. strong safety and linebacker could be great positions to utilize his talents for us because he we really look for speed at both positions.

i think the saints try to emulate the colts' fast speedy defense in our back seven.

bob sanders and melvin bullit both run 4.3-4.4 and all of the colts linebackers run in the 4.5 range.

UK_Raider
03-26-2010, 10:54 AM

Please, don't even joke about it

SKim172
03-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Bingo.

Ah yes, the white man's burden. Oh, how they suffer.

The guy's quite a freak, but in my experience, the small-school sleepers who make it in the league are guys who were absolute stars in their college years. Consistently, they are productive team leaders, usually exceeding expectations and perceptions of their abilities. They come out of nowhere, but in their hometown, people knew them. There's a reason for that - their teams aren't usually very talented and the guy who "has it" - mentally and physically - will stand out from the group.

There are exceptions, of course - Gates comes to mind - but they are usually people who just didn't get the opportunity. That's not the case with Konz and that makes me leery of him. Because experience also tells me that for a freshman QB thrown into the fire without good receivers, the first option is always "check to the tight end." If Konz had been trusted as a receiver, I would have expected him to be constantly targeted, especially with his athletic ability.

I expect he'll be drafted and if I were a team, I'd want to take a closer look. But I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 5th, because as of now, his production projects to special-teamer without a position.

And every player who might go undrafted says they'll play any position. That's you get All-WAC linebackers playing fullback in the league.

WesleyInWichita
03-26-2010, 05:23 PM
The guy's quite a freak, but in my experience, the small-school sleepers who make it in the league are guys who were absolute stars in their college years. Consistently, they are productive team leaders, usually exceeding expectations and perceptions of their abilities. They come out of nowhere, but in their hometown, people knew them. There's a reason for that - their teams aren't usually very talented and the guy who "has it" - mentally and physically - will stand out from the group.

There are exceptions, of course - Gates comes to mind - but they are usually people who just didn't get the opportunity. That's not the case with Konz and that makes me leery of him. Because experience also tells me that for a freshman QB thrown into the fire without good receivers, the first option is always "check to the tight end." If Konz had been trusted as a receiver, I would have expected him to be constantly targeted, especially with his athletic ability.

Kent State's answer to take pressure off the true freshman QB last year was using the WR bubble screen, where they stack one side of the field with 2 to 3 WRs. The QB takes 2-3 steps back, the outside WR goes out about 1 yard, and the TE and/or the other slot WR then become blockers. It also keeps the young QB from having to throw across the middle of the field (where the TE catches a lot of passes) where the QB is more prone to throw an INT if he makes a mistake. A bubble screen keeps the throw to the outside of the field, so if he misses a throw, no harm for the offense.

It serves to get the ball out of the QB's hands as quickly as possible, and Kent State used that play at least 50% of the time on pass plays. Konz was used primarily as a down field blocker early in the season last year. The majority of the passes went to another true freshman WR, Tyshon Goode, who is one to keep on the radar a few years down the road, BTW.

Keep in mind, Jameson Konz only had 1 full season on offense at the collegiate level. The head coach came out in the spring of 2008 and said he wished he had moved Konz to offense 1 year earlier. You can't expect a player to make the change from defense to offense, and pick up everything (timing, route running, etc) that they need to and still be expected to put up big numbers in that first year. It's not realistic.

SKim172
03-26-2010, 05:25 PM
I understand that it was his first year on offense, and I didn't know that Kent State went so much with the bubble screen. And Konz might be the exception to the norm, but usually, if you weren't a star in college, you won't make it as a sleeper in the pros.

WesleyInWichita
03-26-2010, 05:33 PM
BTW, I saw on Twitter that the Saints have scheduled a private workout with Jameson Konz next week. So if the Super Bowl champs want to get a closer look at him, what does that say ...

caplannfl Someone asked me about Kent St. TE Jameson Konz. He's scheduled to visit the Saints next week.

SKim172
03-26-2010, 05:36 PM
It says teams are interested, as they should be. No one's disputing that...

JustinD
03-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Hello Oakland Raiders!

RealityCheck
03-28-2010, 10:48 AM
The only film of him that seems to exist:

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/sports/watch/v1125771tPkdzdHN

(1 play where he blows by the UK FB and gets a 13 yard sack)
The same UK FB who's the top FB in this class?

And you gotta love the kid's attitude.

Complex
03-28-2010, 01:01 PM
IDk he might be a Titan, our GM likes workout warriors like chris henry, Chris Johnson(even though i'm happy he drafted him) and Jared Cook.

MizzouBig12
03-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Hello Oakland Raiders!

One radio show I was listening to commented that Konz showed very good hands at his Pro Day as well, so that might exempt him from being a Raiders draft choice, as they only spend early picks on speed guys who come equipped with hands of stone.

WesleyInWichita
03-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Jameson Konz did 27 reps of 225 lbs at his private workout yesterday with the New Orleans Saints, which would have put him at the very top of the wide receivers, and second in tight ends from the NFL combine workouts. Just goes to show how being snubbed by the NFL combine does not necessarily rule a player out from getting drafted.

Word is that Konz caught the ball very well in his Saints workout, also. Apparently the Saints have been keeping an eye on Konz for some time.

Obviously the hometown Cleveland Browns also have followed Konz and have interest. In next year's NFL draft it will be KSU safety Brian Lainhart and linebacker Cobrani Mixon on the radar. Kent State seems to churn out productive NFL players on a yearly basis.