PDA

View Full Version : Sean Weatherspoon

BigRick352
03-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, been hearing from some of the Giants beat writers that we are very interested in this guy. I dont really know much about him, I have only seen maybe 5 games in his career, some youtube highlights and just read scouting reports. His stats look phenomenal and so did his combine and pro day. Just would like some opinions on him. How do you think he fits in Perry Fewells Defense?? How do you think he could transition to MLB in a 4-3?? Is he strictly a 4-3 OLB?? Just hoping to have a good discussion on him. So any help would be great!!! Thanks

holt_bruce81
03-12-2010, 09:08 PM
He can play I believe anywhere in a 4-3 and ILB in a 3-4 if needed. Great tackler, solid in coverage, will be a vocal leader on a defense at the next level, plays hard ever snap (non stop motor)

Trouble shedding blocks, can be to aggressive sometimes.

Im sure other non-mizzou homers will find more negatives about him lol

BigRick352
03-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Yes from what I have seen and read I would really love him playing MIKE for the Giants. I really love that he is a vocal guy and has a non stop motor. What we need out of our MIKE. I hope we can draft him. The trouble shedding blocks is a little scary, but I think with Canty healthy he will be able to keep the blockers off of Spon. What do you think his NFL career will turn out to be. Decent starter? Consistent Pro Bowler? All Pro??

holt_bruce81
03-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Yes from what I have seen and read I would really love him playing MIKE for the Giants. I really love that he is a vocal guy and has a non stop motor. What we need out of our MIKE. I hope we can draft him. The trouble shedding blocks is a little scary, but I think with Canty healthy he will be able to keep the blockers off of Spon. What do you think his NFL career will turn out to be. Decent starter? Consistent Pro Bowler? All Pro??

He'll be a decent starter in the NFL with maybe a few pro bowls here and there.

Halsey
03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
I imagine a lot of teams are interested. He seems to have a lot of the qualities NFL teams look for in a first round linebacker. I know a lot of Falcon fans would be happy if the Falcons took him.

BigRick352
03-12-2010, 09:27 PM
He'll be a decent starter in the NFL with maybe a few pro bowls here and there.

I would def deal with that!! Thanks

Halsey - Yes I have heard the Falcons are very interested in him, but we pick at 15 and they pick at 19. So I like our chances alot better :)

FUNBUNCHER
03-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Spoon could end up being the best LB that comes out of this draft, and not just as a Mike prospect.

IMO his best football is in front of him.

RaiderNation
03-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Fits both the 4-3 and 3-4 well but I think 4-3 the most. Depends on the scheme but he can play MLB,SLB or WLB in any scheme. He is one of the more "for sure" guys in this draft to be atleast a decent player

BigRick352
03-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Thanks appreciate your insight guys!

holt_bruce81
03-13-2010, 12:14 AM
I imagine a lot of teams are interested. He seems to have a lot of the qualities NFL teams look for in a first round linebacker. I know a lot of Falcon fans would be happy if the Falcons took him.

Do you know if Atlanta is bringing him in for a visit? I've heard they are.

the_dark_knight
03-13-2010, 12:25 AM

According to Spoon's twitter a NFC South team with a top 20 pick is bringing him in for a private workout soon. Only 2 teams qualify for that category, and I'm pretty sure he's not talking about the Bucs, so it would appear as if the Falcons are bringing him in for a visit. They made no bones about it, they really like this kid, and they've been interviewing him at everything it seems.

BigRick352
03-13-2010, 12:34 AM
Dark Knight you beat me to it, was just going to say the same thing about his twitter post. That could also be a ploy being so interested in him in hopes somebody trades up to get him so the player they really want falls. I would be really shocked if they have made it this known that they want this guy teams rarely do that especially at pick 19. I honestly dont think he will make it past 15. The Giants are sick of not having a MLB who can somewhat cover a RB or TE. Pierce was just terrible at it since he started in NY. I really think we are going to get this guy. From everything I have read and seen he is a really vocal team leader exactly what we need on D. He can cover well,blitz well and has speed. Something the NYG LBs have been lacking for quite some time. Weatherspoon at MIKE, Boley at WLB and Sintim at SLB would be a young talented trio :) I like the way that sounds!!

the_dark_knight
03-13-2010, 02:24 AM
Seems like a lot of people have him pegged at #19 to Atlanta, but I could honestly see him @15 to the Giants or 18 to the Steelers, I'm not so sure he's going to be there for the Falcons to pick him up. I'm not sure what kind of games they're playing down there.

Spartan4224
03-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Seems like a lot of people have him pegged at #19 to Atlanta, but I could honestly see him @15 to the Giants or 18 to the Steelers, I'm not so sure he's going to be there for the Falcons to pick him up. I'm not sure what kind of games they're playing down there.

Who would the Giants take if both McClain and Spoon were available at 15?

rockio42
03-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Who would the Giants take if both McClain and Spoon were available at 15?

McClain, better prospect at MLB than Spoon

FUNBUNCHER
03-13-2010, 11:34 AM
I don't think McClain has the range or coverage skills to be as effective as Spoon would be in a 43.

People almost seem to imply that McClain is an Urlacher type athlete on the inside, and he just isn't.

Morton
03-13-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm 99% certain The Giants are taking either McClain or Weatherspoon @ #15.

I think both will be great starters in the NFL, but I think that Weatherspoon is a bit more of a "sure thing". Both have great potential, though, and you really can't go wrong with either one if you need a MLB.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-13-2010, 11:56 AM

The other day on his twitter he said something to the effect of "Have a workout scheduled with a NFC South team on 3/17 and they pick in the top 20 but I won't tell who." And seeing as how Carolina and New Orleans aren't picking in the top 20, and he has no shot at going #3, I can only assume it's Atlanta.

DeepThreat
03-13-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm a big fan of Weatherspoon as a prospect. I feel that he can play any linebacker position except 3-4 OLB. He is very quick and good in coverage. I think he has the potential to be a Jon Beason type player.

BigRick352
03-13-2010, 01:33 PM

I honestly think we would take Spoon over McClain. McClain seems too much like Antonio Pierce to me. Don't think the Giants want that trouble again. Has questions about his sideline to sideline speed. Isn't the fastest guy. Prob will have tons of trouble covering RBs and TEs. We need a guy who can cover well and go sideline to sideline.

BaLLiN
03-13-2010, 01:36 PM
I don't think McClain has the range or coverage skills to be as effective as Spoon would be in a 43.

People almost seem to imply that McClain is an Urlacher type athlete on the inside, and he just isn't.

McClain is a ****load better than Spoon at reading the Guards, QB, and Backs (aka the triangle). Spoon shows amazing flashes at reading and reacting quickly but Rolando makes decisions and immediately acts on them. That is why hes a legitimate 1st rounder and that is what masks his slower and less agile skillset. Spoon could be a better MLB with more bulk in the DL, but his read/react skills will never be as ridiculous as Rolando's imo

Nard_Dog
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Huge fan of Weatherspoon. He has the versatility. He has the vocal leadership. He has a great motor. Occasionally he plays to aggressive. Still he should be a great prospect.

FUNBUNCHER
03-13-2010, 06:38 PM
I still question McClain's ability to play going backwards and in coverage; no one's questioning his diagnostic skills in the box.

The Giants from what I gather are obsessed with finding a MIKE who possesses the athleticism and wheels to cover RBs and TEs long.
IMO coverage is not a strength of McClain's game, and why ultimately he's best suited to play 34 ILB.

BaLLiN
03-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I still question McClain's ability to play going backwards and in coverage; no one's questioning his diagnostic skills in the box.

The Giants from what I gather are obsessed with finding a MIKE who possesses the athleticism and wheels to cover RBs and TEs long.
IMO coverage is not a strength of McClain's game, and why ultimately he's best suited to play 34 ILB.

No, but thats what makes him the better MLB in most schemes. Yes he's not as agile or speedy as Spoon, and not extremely athletic, but he reads a reacts like Antonio Pierce did for the giants and has much much more athleticism and better physical attributes.

I agree, the giants would like an active tackling monster, but im not so sure their obsessed with the idea and Rolando could cover decently either RB's or TE's, our real problem was AP's awful speed, agility, weight issues, and horrible coverage technique.

He does not read and react like Antonio Pierce, im pretty sure that AP and Ray Lewis were the masters of presnap reads and reacting in a milisecond. Ultimately Spoon is best fit in open space, maybe Tampa 2 MLB would be good for him though.