PDA

View Full Version : Why is Ricky Sapp rated so highly?

Jakey
03-14-2010, 11:23 AM
His game tape is pretty awfull. Granted he has the speed and athletisism for a 3-4 OLB, but that is all...he has poor functional strength, one passrush move and a non-factor against the run. Reminds me of Bruce Davis (UCLA), and thats not a good thing. Why is he ranked higher than Thad Gibson, Jason Worilds, Eric Norwood etc, on peoples draft board? What you guys think?

Zz6RKMywGE4

keylime_5
03-14-2010, 11:44 AM
you forgot to mention he's hurt a lot. Norwood was a monster in college and really really productive (almost career sack leader in SEC). He isn't tall (so what?) so that means he can only be as good as James Harrison or Elvis Dumervil, which is really terrible right? Sapp has a lot of upside though and is a great athlete who is a better pass rusher than his stats indicate, so I can see where the 2nd round talk comes from to some degree.

brat316
03-14-2010, 11:49 AM
But his rush moves are horrible, well he has non other than speed rush. And he gets eaten up by the run.

I get that he has all the measurables you look for, but other than that i he doesn't have much. He looks like a boom or bust type of player.

PACKmanN
03-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Norwood = most underrated 3-4 OLB in this draft. He was a 2nd round pick a year ago, continued to be productive, and drops to a 3rd-4th round grade.

princefielder28
03-14-2010, 11:58 AM
But his rush moves are horrible, well he has non other than speed rush. And he gets eaten up by the run.

I get that he has all the measurables you look for, but other than that i he doesn't have much. He looks like a boom or bust type of player.

Are we talking about Sergio Kindle too?

Jakey
03-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Just to compare him to a player rated allot lower...

zBzLNXDuTGA&NR=1

I'll try and find some Norwood highlights in a mo too.

brat316
03-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Are we talking about Sergio Kindle too?

really Kindle doesn't look like he got taken out of the play on runs and he uses his hands much better than Sapp.

qul0KgveR5k

A Perfect Score
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Ricky Sapp is one of those guys who's best football is most likely ahead of him. Hes flashed alot of potential at times, but its the general consensus that he should pan out to be a better pro then he was a college player, most likely due to a position change to OLB that will allow him to use that speed and burst coming off the edge. All the other things, pass rush moves, leverage, etc. that can be taught. But quick twitch muscles and natural explosion off the line cant. Sapp has that. He will go in the 2nd.

To be fair, after spending some time recently looking at Norwood as well, Id have him in the 2nd round too. That man is a beast.

Cigaro
03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Yep, prtty overrated. He hasn't really looked anything like any degree of a draft prospect on the field until the second half of his senior year, but that was no where near first/second play.

I think a lot of it has to do with press clippings and not actually watching his play. On one draft, I even saw someone say he was extremely productive in college(WTF?). It seems before every year started, people said it was going to be his breakout year. If people got to see his performance play-in and play-out, he'd be a lot lower down the draft boards IMO.

DeepThreat
03-14-2010, 12:35 PM
To be honest, everything about Sapp screams bust to me. His only real pass rush move is using his speed to run around the tackle. He's quick, no doubt, and he has an explosive first step, but he doesn't have any moves in his repertoire. It also seems like once the tackle gets his hands on him, he's done.

He's putrid against the run and gets blown off the ball virtually every play. He does have a high motor and is very athletic though.

He has potential due to his athleticism, but I don't see the skills needed to be a good pass rusher. When I watch him, I can't help but see Kamerion Wimbley. Both are very athletic, but lack any real pass rush moves and are awful against the run.

thebow305
03-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Because he's got all the measurables. He also has the frame to add more weight and keep his explosiveness. He is arguably the most explosive rusher off the edge in this draft along with JPP.

While his film isn't overly impressive, he has TONS of experience and his best football is definitely ahead of him.

Cigaro
03-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Because he's got all the measurables. He also has the frame to add more weight and keep his explosiveness. He is arguably the most explosive rusher off the edge in this draft along with JPP.

While his film isn't overly impressive, he has TONS of experience and his best football is definitely ahead of him.

Tons of experience being average/below average?

Yeah, that's a plus. Experience is only a plus when it supplements something IMO. It's not a positive on its own.