PDA

View Full Version : 2011 QB class

Babylon
03-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Needs it's own thread and we can keep it in the archives for future referance.

1. Jake Locker
1a. Ryan Mallett
3. Christian Ponder
4. Pat Devlin
5. Robert Griffin
6. Terrelle Pryor
7. Jerrod Johnson
8. Ricki Stanzi

Let me edit i dont think Andrew Luck will come out but he would be near the top for sure.

RealityCheck
03-14-2010, 01:45 PM
1. Locker
2. Mallett
12313903248543757358375838572055. Yates

RaiderNation
03-14-2010, 01:46 PM
LockerzZZZzZZZzzzz

DenverHerbsman
03-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Does anybody else think the Wildcat with a college QB that the Jets started is going to continue with guys like Robert Griffin and Terrelle Pryor? Pryor showed us in the Rose bowl that having a mobile QB for third and short makes it nearly impossible to be stopped.

CashmoneyDrew
03-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Don't forget the immortal ginger Nick Stephens.

thebow305
03-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Since I'm in the ranking mood today, I'll show you my early 2011 QB Rankings (Top 10):

1. Jake Locker, Washington, Senior
2. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas, Junior
3. Andrew Luck, Stanford, Sophomore (RS)
4. Christian Ponder, Florida State, Senior
5. Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State, Junior
6. Pat Devlin, Delaware, Senior
7. Ricky Stanzi, Iowa, Senior
8. Case Keenum, Houston, Senior
9. Greg McElroy, Alabama, Senior
10. Jerrod Johnson, Texas A&M, Senior

DiG
03-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Since I'm in the ranking mood today, I'll show you my early 2011 QB Rankings (Top 10):

9. Greg McElroy, Alabama, Junior

If Luck were to come out, which I dont think he will, than that means he would be coming off a great year, in which case I cant convince myself that he isnt the most obvious #1 overall pick in a long time.

Babylon
03-14-2010, 02:32 PM
If Luck were to come out, which I dont think he will, than that means he would be coming off a great year, in which case I cant convince myself that he isnt the most obvious #1 overall pick in a long time.

In that case i'd like Luck to go about 3rd. He doesnt have quite the arm of a Locker and Mallett and when he had to throw in games this year i thought he forced a lot. He reminds me of a Jim Kelly who back in the day was ranked behind a few other guys when he came out.

CashmoneyDrew
03-14-2010, 02:36 PM
Greg McElroy is a senior this year Bow.

thebow305
03-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Greg McElroy is a senior this year Bow.

Oh ok. I'll fix that, I could have sworn he was only a Sophomore this year. Thanks!

thebow305
03-14-2010, 02:45 PM
In that case i'd like Luck to go about 3rd. He doesnt have quite the arm of a Locker and Mallett and when he had to throw in games this year i thought he forced a lot. He reminds me of a Jim Kelly who back in the day was ranked behind a few other guys when he came out.

Agreed. Jake Locker would have been the top QB prospect and #1 pick had he come out this year. Now, assuming he doesn't do anything to hurt that this upcoming season, I don't see how that changes.

Although I see the 2011 QB class to be considerably stronger than '10, I think the only one that will challenge him is Mallett. His accuracy is a little spotty at times, but his arm strength is arguably the best I've seen in a QB in the last decade. And that includes JaMarcus Russell. He can make ALL the throws needed to be a great QB in the NFL, while possessing great leadership qualities and unrivaled competitiveness and fire.

Thumper
03-14-2010, 02:49 PM

Jerrod Johnson is higher than Pryor IMO and I would put Robert Griffin on this list somewhere, his athletic ability can't be overlooked, he is far better than Pat White IMO.

RealityCheck
03-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Kellen Moore and Russell Wilson also need some consideration.

thebow305
03-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Jerrod Johnson is higher than Pryor IMO and I would put Robert Griffin on this list somewhere, his athletic ability can't be overlooked, he is far better than Pat White IMO.

Eh, I don't know about that. I like Griffin alot, but as you can see with Pat White this year, unless he's willing to become a WR or just accept a role as a niche player, there's not much need for a speedy, undersized, system QB in the NFL.

Jerrod Johnson has a shot because of his size and above average arm strength, but I have my doubts about him as well.

EvilNixon
03-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I can't wait to see how Terrelle Pryor looks this year.

LizardState
03-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Mallett & Locker's is class head & shoulders above this draft of QBs next month, & coming into a new capped yr. with a probable rookie cap. Wonder if they're 2nd-guessing about staying in school if they knew they were going into an uncapped yr.

Case Keenum will be 2010's Mark Sanchez, the anointed media darling, & Luck with his NFL QB pedigree will be the 2012 #1 overall pick if he stays healthy, he throws the most accurate ball in D. 1 now

CashmoneyDrew
03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Mallett & Locker's class head & shoulders above this draft of QBs next month, & coming into a new capped yr. with a probable rookie cap. Wonder if they're 2nd-guessing about staying in school.

Case Keenum will be 2010's Mark Sanchez, the anointed media darling, & Luck with his NFL QB pedigree will be the 2012 #1 overall pick if he stays healthy, he throws the most accurate ball in D. 1 now

He'll have to battle Matt Barkley for that title, though.

thebow305
03-14-2010, 02:56 PM
I can't wait to see how Terrelle Pryor looks this year.

You and me both. I hate the Buckeyes, but this guys talent is something special. I just hope Tressel lets him loose this year finally. If that happens, I definitely wouldn't rule out a Vince Young-esque jump in production this year that puts the Buckeyes firmly in the Title picture. I just hope it doesn't happen until after the Miami game. ;)

Complex
03-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Eh, I don't know about that. I like Griffin alot, but as you can see with Pat White this year, unless he's willing to become a WR or just accept a role as a niche player, there's not much need for a speedy, undersized, system QB in the NFL.

Jerrod Johnson has a shot because of his size and above average arm strength, but I have my doubts about him as well.

Pat white is barely 6ft, Griffin is at least 6'2.Besides it was Pat Whites rookie year (even though he is completely overrated coming out it was his 1st year)

Complex
03-14-2010, 03:02 PM
He'll have to battle Matt Barkley for that title, though.

Jacory Harris might be in the mix hopefully

JFLO
03-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Mallett is the top dog right now and I think he'll end up being the first quarterback off the board.

I know this sounds ridiculous because the 2011 draft is 13 months away, but his potential is just crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I like Locker as much as the next guy, but he made a mistake by staying at school. They are definitely a team that is eligible to reach a bowl in 2010, but they aren't a national contender and I think he is going to suffer from a lot of undeserved over-criticism.

Both are going to be Top 10 picks (forgoing any injury or bad play circumstances)

thebow305
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Pat white is barely 6ft, Griffin is at least 6'2.Besides it was Pat Whites rookie year (even though he is completely overrated coming out it was his 1st year)

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see Griffin measure in over 6'1" realistically pre-draft. And I see them as similar builds. As for his ranking, I would definitely put Griffin in the mix for that 8-10 spot. But I dont view him as a legit starter at the next level, so I'm tempering my expectations for now. Obviously a lot could change in a year, but for now I'm in a wait-and-see mode pertaining to Robert Griffin.

Babylon
03-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Mallett is the top dog right now and I think he'll end up being the first quarterback off the board.

I know this sounds ridiculous because the 2011 draft is 13 months away, but his potential is just crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I like Locker as much as the next guy, but he made a mistake by staying at school. They are definitely a team that is eligible to reach a bowl in 2010, but they aren't a national contender and I think he is going to suffer from a lot of undeserved over-criticism.

Both are going to be Top 10 picks (forgoing any injury or bad play circumstances)

You might be right about Mallett going 1st but you're downgrading Locker because he stayed and isnt on a great team? Mallett stayed and isnt on a great team either.

thebow305
03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Jacory Harris might be in the mix hopefully

Yeah. Harris just needs to work on his zip for next season. He's gotta stop floating the ball so much and depending on his WR's to bail him out. He's got a very nice arm and can make all the throws, but he's become too dependent. And that HAS to change.

superman8456
03-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Did Pat Devlin have that good of a season?

I didn't hear anything last year. I wish him the best. How old would he be as a rookie? 23?

P.S. I would look this up but i'm on an iPhone.

ThePudge
03-14-2010, 03:15 PM
You and me both. I hate the Buckeyes, but this guys talent is something special. I just hope Tressel lets him loose this year finally. If that happens, I definitely wouldn't rule out a Vince Young-esque jump in production this year that puts the Buckeyes firmly in the Title picture. I just hope it doesn't happen until after the Miami game. ;)

From someone who has seen every single game Terrelle Pryor has played at the college level, it's not Tressel that held him back, but rather Pryor's development (or lack there of) that held Ohio State's offense back. He has a ton of work mechanically and has less of a football IQ than Vince Young at the same point in their careers. He flashes potential to be a good passer & is dangerous in space, but man, he is the most frustrating Quarterback I've seen watching football (over Ryan Fitzpatrick.) He takes bad sacks, he won't throw balls away, he struggles keeping his eyes downfield... If you let him run a run--pass option you've given him one too many options.

He's a low character guy with an ego and little intelligence on & off the field. It was surprising how little he progressed from his Freshman to his Sophomore year, though he ended on a good note with a Rose Bowl title over Oregon. He has elite physical ability & tons of talent as both a passer and runner, he just has yet to put it together mentally/mechanically and is one of the more inconsistent/unreliable Big-10 Quarterbacks.

Complex
03-14-2010, 03:37 PM
From someone who has seen every single game Terrelle Pryor has played at the college level, it's not Tressel that held him back, but rather Pryor's development (or lack there of) that held Ohio State's offense back. He has a ton of work mechanically and has less of a football IQ than Vince Young at the same point in their careers. He flashes potential to be a good passer & is dangerous in space, but man, he is the most frustrating Quarterback I've seen watching football (over Ryan Fitzpatrick.) He takes bad sacks, he won't throw balls away, he struggles keeping his eyes downfield... If you let him run a run--pass option you've given him one too many options.

He's a low character guy with an ego and little intelligence on & off the field. It was surprising how little he progressed from his Freshman to his Sophomore year, though he ended on a good note with a Rose Bowl title over Oregon. He has elite physical ability & tons of talent as both a passer and runner, he just has yet to put it together mentally/mechanically and is one of the more inconsistent/unreliable Big-10 Quarterbacks.

How does he have low character? He was received all academic honors so I don't get intelligence off the field statement. He has a ego so what...

thebow305
03-14-2010, 03:43 PM
How does he have low character? He was received all academic honors so I don't get intelligence off the field statement. He has a ego so what...

Just to help clarify here, his low character doesn't neccesarily relate to his intelligence on or off the field. It just speaks to his immaturity and cocky/confident attitude. He may be an intelligent person as far as academics go. That has little to do with his character. What I think Pudge is eluding to is his immaturity.

CashmoneyDrew
03-14-2010, 03:54 PM
J-Boobie has alluded to the same thing.

49erNation85
03-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Reality I so agree about Kellen Moore . He should be in the top 5 if he decides to come out his Junior big IF though . He will be in there for the 2012 draft no doubt and should be in the top 3 despite his size/arm strength. He is by far a better QB then Pryor for sure IMO

ThePudge
03-14-2010, 04:08 PM

I'm an Ohio State fan, I have a lot of friends at OSU, and I got the chance to see Pryor is high school playing basketball for Jeannette. He's immature, he has an inflated ego, he treats people like dirt, and doesn't seem to be revered much as a teammate since he's gotten to college. He gets down on himself/others & he doesn't read defenses well at all (let me make that one very clear, he doesn't read defenses well AT ALL). His character reminds me some of Michael Crabtree's and he has an attitude about him that he already has accomplished something.

I don't know what classes he took to get honors, but he's not smart on or off the field. He boasted a very mediocre 1550 SAT & never has come off intelligent/articulate interviews. He's gotten the athlete treatment & national recognition since his Sophomore year of High School and it's gone to his head. He'll need to mature by leaps & bounds next year both on and off the field for me to consider him even a long-shot to develop into an NFL starting Quarterback.

ThePudge
03-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Reality I so agree about Kellen Moore . He should be in the top 5 if he decides to come out his Junior big IF though . He will be in there for the 2012 draft no doubt and should be in the top 3 despite his size/arm strength. He is by far a better QB then Pryor for sure IMO

Chase Daniel was by far a better college Quarterback than Matthew Stafford, Chase Brennan was a better college QB than Matt Ryan. Kellen Moore will likely be waiting until the third day of the draft to hear his name called realistically.

princefielder28
03-14-2010, 04:15 PM

I would throw Johnson all the way up to #4. His improvement this season was as great as any QB in college football and he has all the tools to be one hell of a player. I see Pryor as a wide receiver in the NFL; his fundamentals need so much work that it's not even funny. Stanzi is far too inconsistent at this point to draw serious consideration, and Keenum's arm strength just isn't there for him to be anything more than a backup in the league. I think you have five potential starters at this point (Locker, Mallett, Luck, Johnson, and Devlin) with the rest jockeying for a chance.

Babylon
03-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Chase Daniel was by far a better college Quarterback than Matthew Stafford, Chase Brennan was a better college QB than Matt Ryan. Kellen Moore will likely be waiting until the third day of the draft to hear his name called realistically.

Couldnt agree more, Moore doesnt have any real pro characteristics to his game at all.

thebow305
03-14-2010, 04:57 PM
I would throw Johnson all the way up to #4. His improvement this season was as great as any QB in college football and he has all the tools to be one hell of a player. I see Pryor as a wide receiver in the NFL; his fundamentals need so much work that it's not even funny. Stanzi is far too inconsistent at this point to draw serious consideration, and Keenum's arm strength just isn't there for him to be anything more than a backup in the league. I think you have five potential starters at this point (Locker, Mallett, Luck, Johnson, and Devlin) with the rest jockeying for a chance.

I can't disagree with you here at all. But as far as Stanzi goes, I just love his intangibles. He's a true leader on the field and a clutch one at that. He has the size and tools as well. With another full year under center with McNutt out wide, I could see him developing nicely.

FUNBUNCHER
03-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Just to help clarify here, his low character doesn't neccesarily relate to his intelligence on or off the field. It just speaks to his immaturity and cocky/confident attitude. He may be an intelligent person as far as academics go. That has little to do with his character. What I think Pudge is eluding to is his immaturity.

Once again, I WANT my starting QB to be a little cocky.

You know that clip on NFL Network they play repeatedly with Peyton Manning recalling what he told Polian before the 1998 NFL draft; " if you don't pick me I'm gonna kick your butt for the next 15 years."

Good Lord, that Peyton boy sure has a high opinion of himself!!!

Confidence that you can do anything on the field required from the QB position is IMO a part of the job description for a great and not-so-great quarterback.

I'm not worried about Pryor's swag, I'm more concerned if he ever develops into a credible facsimile of a pro prospect at QB.

EDIT: Imagine being so incredible an athlete that if the QB thing doesn't work out, teams are going compare your physical tools to Calvin Johnson if you decide to switch positions.

Pudge, since when is 1550 a 'mediocre' SAT score???

ThePudge
03-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Once again, I WANT my starting QB to be a little cocky.

You know that clip on NFL Network they play repeatedly with Peyton Manning recalling what he told Polian before the 1998 NFL draft; " if you don't pick me I'm gonna kick you butt for the next 15 years."

Good Lord, that Peyton boy sure has a high opinion of himself!!!

Confidence that you can do anything on the field required from the QB position is IMO a part of the job description for a great and not-so-great quarterback.

I'm not worried about Pryor's swag, I'm more concerned if he ever develops into a credible facsimile of a pro prospect at QB.

You don't want your QB to behave on/off the field with the kid of immaturity Terrelle Pryor has, believe me. It's not a good swagger, it's a very self-centered, self-absorbed swagger. He talks down to people, doesn't seem exceptionally coachable, and will struggle to earn respect from some teammates. There is a fine line between confidence and immaturity/arrogance.

Peyton was/is an absolute student of the game and someone that will try so hard that it will command respect. Pryor hasn't yet shown to be a hard worker nor is he by any means a student of the game, his football IQ is the one thing that makes me doubt he'll ever reach that massive potential. And once again... this is all coming from an Ohio State fan with several connections up there, I've seen every game he's played (aside from a couple against small schools), and I've been around the guy before myself. He's a very easy person to read and a very tough football player to evaluate.

Brent
03-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Continue sleeping on Jerrod Johnson ;)

ThePudge
03-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Continue sleeping on Jerrod Johnson ;)

He's a better Quarterback than Terrelle Pryor from everything I've seen of Johnson....

A very preliminary Top 6.... I don't actually expect Luck to declare

1. Ryan Mallett - Arkansas - Top 5 pick*
2. Jake Locker - Washington - Top 5 pick
3. Andrew Luck - Stanford - Top 10 pick*
4. Christian Ponder - Florida State - Mid 1st-Early 2nd
5. Jerrod Johnson - Texas A&M - Mid 1st-3rd Round
6. Terrelle Pryor - Ohio State - Mid 1st-3rd Round* (WR)

Halsey
03-14-2010, 05:52 PM
This thread is missing Blaine Gabbert

6'5
240lbs
Top recruit coming out of high school who got some playing time as Chase Daniels' backup in 2008 and then took over in 2009. In his first year as a starter he passed for 3,500 yards, 24 TDs, 9 ints and also rushed for 200 yards and 3 tds.

TheMorningZoo
03-14-2010, 06:00 PM
This thread is missing Blaine Gabbert

6'5
240lbs
Top recruit coming out of high school who got some playing time as Chase Daniels' backup in 2008 and then took over in 2009. In his first year as a starter he passed for 3,500 yards, 24 TDs, 9 ints and also rushed for 200 yards and 3 tds.

QFT-Gabbert can be the real deal

CLong4Heisman
03-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Some Dayne Crist would be nice too. He hasnt started yet but you watch.

LetsGoGiants!
03-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Is John Brantley eligible in 2011?

thebow305
03-14-2010, 06:14 PM

Yes, but why?

LetsGoGiants!
03-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes, but why?

I highly doubt he will declare. But wasn't he an early Heisman hopeful coming out of high school? If he has a good season next year he could be a top ten QB.

RealityCheck
03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Some Dayne Crist would be nice too. He hasnt started yet but you watch.
No more ND QB's, thank you.

JFLO
03-14-2010, 06:34 PM
Of the 24-25 games that Terrelle Pryor has played at Ohio State, I sort of have to agree with Pudge on this one. I've seen at least 9 home games in the last two years at OSU and have seen his demeanor on the field before. I wouldn't say he is the cockiest player I have every laid eyes on, but he certainly likes to bloat about his stature on the field.

Not trying to make this into a high school drama type deal, but everyone that I know who has had at least some kind of contact with TP has said that he's a nice guy to talk to, but you get the sense that he has this feeling of severe entitlement and doesn't really give anyone a chance.

As a prospect, he needs a lot more development, that is the obvious factor. However, if he can somehow manage to hold down the quarterback position with just a bit more positive mentality rather than trying to score a touchdown on every play, than he should show his potential a bit more.

He is definitely one of the more interesting players to watch in 2010.

RealityCheck
03-14-2010, 06:50 PM
With the 1st pick in the 2011 NFL Draft...

http://www.fantasycollegeblitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/tj-yates1.bmp

YATESZZZZZZZZZZ

BlueBandit24
03-14-2010, 07:23 PM
I think you have five potential starters at this point (Locker, Mallett, Luck, Johnson, and Devlin) with the rest jockeying for a chance.

Agreed 100%, though I'd add Ponder as I'm a fan. Some other guys may emerge, but these guys are the only ones with real NFL potential at this point, IMO. Kellen Moore's a great college QB but I'd be shocked if he even stuck on an NFL roster.

A really talented class at this juncture. As a fan of a team (Vikings) who desperately need a young signal-caller, I can only hope that this group continues to improve and become big-time prospects.

CLong4Heisman
03-14-2010, 09:26 PM
No more ND QB's, thank you.

He's not Clausen and you're gonna have to deal with it. He's got everything a NFL team wants

ToldLikeItIs
03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
It's Stanzi's world.

SickwithIt1010
03-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Couldnt agree more, Moore doesnt have any real pro characteristics to his game at all.

Im right there with you guys. I am from idaho and I am somewhat of a BSU fan, so i am usually the first one to mention Kellen when it comes to being one of the best COLLEGE QB's in the game right now, i definitely thought he shouldve gotten more consideration for the heisman this year....

.....however, when it comes to the pro game, Kellen has little to nothing to offer to the game. He is small, has a weak arm, and just doesnt have the physical tools to make it. He makes good reads and he is a game manager but he wont be anything more than a late rounder/undrafted free agent and be a 3rd string QB in the NFL.

Hines
03-15-2010, 12:15 AM

I'm sure Wilson's future is in baseball.

LetsGoGiants!
03-15-2010, 12:34 AM
Is Locker for sure going into the NFL? I think I read something where he was also considering playing baseball.

49erNation85
03-15-2010, 01:09 AM
So you guys are saying that just because Moore has a weak arm he won't be successful in the NFL.. Or is just the size of his physical stats ? Cause that sometimes doesn't always matter if you ask me . Look how well Steve Young did , he was only 6'2" , he can throw deep when he as , in 08 and 09 he had ne 80 yard and one 67 yard. SickwithIt1010 , and as a bronco fan you should they don't really go deep unless they have too .Which in any case most teams do that . You can compare his size to almost Mr. Steve Young he never really had a big arm so to speak and still became a great QB franchise . I"m not saying Moore will be that caliber star of a QB . Hes got the smarts and other measureless but hey that is just me .

jth1331
03-15-2010, 10:21 AM
So you guys are saying that just because Moore has a weak arm he won't be successful in the NFL.. Or is just the size of his physical stats ? Cause that sometimes doesn't always matter if you ask me . Look how well Steve Young did , he was only 6'2" , he can throw deep when he as , in 08 and 09 he had ne 80 yard and one 67 yard. SickwithIt1010 , and as a bronco fan you should they don't really go deep unless they have too .Which in any case most teams do that . You can compare his size to almost Mr. Steve Young he never really had a big arm so to speak and still became a great QB franchise . I"m not saying Moore will be that caliber star of a QB . Hes got the smarts and other measureless but hey that is just me .

You comparing Kellen Moore to Steve Young? Come on now.
Moore is lucky to be sniffing 6 feet and weighs as much as Steve Smith does.

And for talking about longest throw, I'm willing to bit money that those 80 yard and 67 yard throws were short-intermediate throws that resulted in a tocuhdown/long gain due to the receiver making yards after the catch.

Moore doesn't have the arm for the NFL, only Boise State extreme homers will think otherwise.

Complex
03-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Cam Newton anyone...

Job
03-17-2010, 05:29 PM
How long until this QB class begins to suck all of a sudden? Over/under 6 months?

Addict
03-17-2010, 05:40 PM
wow... Locker, Stanzi, Mallett, Devlin... it's the Awesomely Named QB Class of 2011 folks.

baronzeus
03-19-2010, 01:54 AM
When Andrew Luck declares he WILL be the #1 QB chosen. He has the fewest weaknesses and most upside of any of the other top prospects.

Terrell Pryor won't fall out of the 2nd round because of his freakish athleticism.

3Man20
03-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Russell Wilson is taking this Spring off from football to concentrate on baseball, so his development as a QB will take a hit. I heard an interview with Marc Trestman who thinks Wilson would make a very good NFL QB and compares him to Drew Brees...I think that is a little lofty, but he's getting noticed. I've seen every game he's played, and he's got some interesting ability plus another year to go if he chooses.

BuddyCHRIST
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
How long until this QB class begins to suck all of a sudden? Over/under 6 months?

Right when the CFB season starts, its really amazing how it happens every year. Last year everyone loved this year's class, now it sucks.

Right now I'm not sold on next year's class because Locker and Mallet have too much to prove to be top 5 picks to me. But if everyone plays well, next year could be very good as there's atleast alot of guys who have the physical tools.

metafour
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Cam Newton anyone...

Cam Newton will need to start for two years to show scouts enough IMO. Even if he puts up big numbers next year he simply wouldn't have had shown much performance playing D1.

Babylon
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
When Andrew Luck declares he WILL be the #1 QB chosen. He has the fewest weaknesses and most upside of any of the other top prospects.

Terrell Pryor won't fall out of the 2nd round because of his freakish athleticism.

I think what helped Luck was 8 guys in the box to stop Gerhart, that wont happen this year. He's a good one but dont see the upside of Mallett and Locker.

yourfavestoner
03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Christian Ponder FTMFW

JFLO
03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I think what helped Luck was 8 guys in the box to stop Gerhart, that wont happen this year. He's a good one but dont see the upside of Mallett and Locker.

I agree, I think Mallett has the best upside of the quarterback class in 2011. He may even have the most upside of the 2011 class all together. I highly doubt Luck declares after this year anyway, so I don't think he should even be in the discussion.

On Ponder, I think he'll end up being a first round choice next April. I completely understand that this is really early, but he severely improved his field vision and awareness last season and I think the Seminoles are going to surprise some people next year. He's pretty athletic and his accuracy isn't to shabby either.

P-L
03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
I really like Christian Ponder. He doesn't have the upside that Mallett or Locker have but I think he could play in the pros right now. He's a guy who doesn't have enough potential to go top ten, but I could see a team like say the Vikings taking him in the second half of round one and he could step in and be effective right away.

I also don't see how Jake Locker doesn't have the highest upside of any quarterback next year. Mallett is bigger and a bit stronger, but Locker's mobility is what separates the two. Locker is rumored a 4.40 guy at 6'3" 230, which is ridiculous for a quarterback.

DeathbyStat
03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Did Pat Devlin have that good of a season?

I didn't hear anything last year. I wish him the best. How old would he be as a rookie? 23?

P.S. I would look this up but i'm on an iPhone.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=188680

FUNBUNCHER
03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I'll believe Locker runs a 4.4 when I see it.

Honestly, if he can run a sub 4.6, except for anyone named Vick, that's blazing speed for a QB.

bitonti
03-19-2010, 12:19 PM

they say this dude has flawless mechanics

yourfavestoner
03-19-2010, 12:20 PM
I really like Christian Ponder. He doesn't have the upside that Mallett or Locker have but I think he could play in the pros right now. He's a guy who doesn't have enough potential to go top ten, but I could see a team like say the Vikings taking him in the second half of round one and he could step in and be effective right away.

I also don't see how Jake Locker doesn't have the highest upside of any quarterback next year. Mallett is bigger and a bit stronger, but Locker's mobility is what separates the two. Locker is rumored a 4.40 guy at 6'3" 230, which is ridiculous for a quarterback.

Agreed. I absolutely love Ponder as a pro prospect, and I'm a frickin Florida fan.

Halsey
03-19-2010, 12:45 PM
I agree that 2011 has the potential to be a strong QB year, but didn't many people say that a year ago about the 2010 QB crop. Next season they will all be under a microscope and some of them may drop in the minds of NFL scouts. .

Babylon
03-19-2010, 12:45 PM
I'll believe Locker runs a 4.4 when I see it.

Honestly, if he can run a sub 4.6, except for anyone named Vick, that's blazing speed for a QB.

Locker can really run, i've been at his games since highschool. He would probably have to train to run the 40 with any great success but conservatively speaking he's a 4.5 guy.

neoroks32
03-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Dayne Crist

Babylon
03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Dayne Crist

chances of him coming out in 2011 are slim and none.

ThePudge
03-20-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't see Locker/Mallett becoming the next Jevan Snead story. I liked Bradford more than I ever liked Snead a year ago and I thought people really got ahead of themselves. Ryan Mallett has a chance to be the top Quarterback (and overall player) that I've graded since 2005. His upside is unreal. And Locker's not far behind in my opinion. Both would be Top 6 picks had they come out this year and I would grade either over Jimmy Clausen today. If neither shits the bed next year I think you might have the best #1/#2 Quarterback races in recent memory (dating back further than Manning/Leaf).

edit: didn't mean the slip the censor there, just kind of happened...

draftguru151
03-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Same. Haven't started too much with next year's QBs but at this point I have Ponder a bit ahead of Mallett with Locker very far ahead of both. Locker is my #1 player overall next year at this point. Great build, great arm with a good motion, has really nice touch too, and his speed at the QB position is pretty insane.

RealityCheck
03-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Cam Newton anyone...
The guy made a humongous mistake by going to Auburn instead of UNC. He'll be stuck under Todd there, while in UNC he could easily start over Yates.

Also, this thread needs a little bit of Case Keenum. 2nd round pick imo.

CashmoneyDrew
03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
The guy made a humongous mistake by going to Auburn instead of UNC. He'll be stuck under Todd there, while in UNC he could easily start over Yates.

Also, this thread needs a little bit of Case Keenum.

Pretty sure Auburn's QB spot is Cam's to lose.

LetsGoGiants!
03-20-2010, 07:47 PM
they say this dude has flawless mechanics

Yeah, I also heard he was said to be a Heisman favorite coming out of high school.

RealityCheck
03-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Pretty sure Auburn's QB spot is Cam's to lose.
I don't think so, and still, UNC has bigger chances of success than Auburn.

jth1331
03-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Honestly, this gets funnier and funnier every year.
I remember people flocking about this years QB class, especially the hype for Snead. Remember how he was the #1 pick by many?
Just saying, you can't really talk about a class until, well, it is draft time. I mean, Locker could tear his rotator cuff and Mallet pull a Snead and play piss poor football. Who knows what will happen.

ThePudge
03-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Honestly, this gets funnier and funnier every year.
I remember people flocking about this years QB class, especially the hype for Snead. Remember how he was the #1 pick by many?
Just saying, you can't really talk about a class until, well, it is draft time. I mean, Locker could tear his rotator cuff and Mallet pull a Snead and play piss poor football. Who knows what will happen.

To be fair, the overhyping of Jevan Snead shouldn't take anything away from Ryan Mallet or Jake Locker. I'll break it down with the SEC guys side by side...

Ryan Mallett: 6'6 1/2e 244e
Jevan Snead: 6'3 219

Mallett's Soph season: 3627 yds 55.8% 30 Td 7 Int 9.00 YPA
Snead's Soph season: 2762 yds 56.3% 26 Td 13 Int 8.45 YPA

To be fair, even if he had a piss poor season (though with 4 starting OL & all of his receivers returning I highly doubt it) he'd still be a much better pro prospect than Snead. Mallett's world's ahead of Snead in terms or arm strength, confidence, and pocket presence. The most physically gifted Quarterback...perhaps ever. He's got a rocket where most people have a right arm, his throwing mechanics are very good, his release quick, and his delivery short & compact with little wasted motion.

The world jumped the gun on Snead (though as I said Bradford was my top QB entering the season.) Ryan Mallett's a guy I'm sold on. His first year in the SEC was an unbelievable success and he improved week to week. Mallett's a great game manager & he's very accurate. On 15+ yard passes I've never seen a QB with such incredible zip and accuracy. The guy can thread a pass in 40 yards down the field and throws with velocity & touch down the field. His arm is in the Russell/Stafford class & he sees the field very well at 6'6+. I think the guy screams franchise Quarterback though he must show improvement in his footwork & his touch on short routes.

Ryan Mallett used to play at about 265 (and looked fine), but his coaches at Arkansas urged him to get into the 235-245 range. The weight loss threw off his footwork in the pocket a bit, but by the end of the season Mallett looked more comfortable than ever and smoother in his drop & footwork in/outside the pocket. He's not a statue, he can pick up yards with his feet when he needs to and is an exceptional passer when moving to his right. He's very good at keeping his eyes downfield, surveys his options well, and he can make any throw. He was remarkably efficient & his numbers are somewhat skewed by his receivers that dropped anywhere from 5-10 balls PER game. I can't tell you how many balls went through Razorbacks' hands a year ago or hit them between the numbers; this happened in big games and big situations.

I was unbelievably impressed by how well the big-armed Mallett operated his team though. Character concerns stem off of Mallett's reactions on the field at times to dropped balls. He's an extremely competitive player on the field & will hold his teammates accountable. Later in the season his coaches and receivers gained a little more trust in their Quarterback and by the end of the season it was clear that the Arkansas Razorbacks were Mallett's team. He's going to put his team on his shoulders like he did so many times a year ago from game to game & in tough situation. His ability to handle the two-minute drill surprised me the first few times I watched him as he's a guy that knows exactly what he's doing and has the capability to do anything. In the redzone Mallett's efficiency & confidence shine.

His broken foot sets him back a bit in terms of developing consistent footwork in /outside the pocket but his production on the field shouldn't see any hit. The best passer in the SEC in 2009 is likely to be the best player in the nation in 2010 & in my opinion, the odds-on favorite to be the 1st Overall Pick next April.

Draft King
03-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Great post.

jth1331
03-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Yeah Pudge, I know Mallet shows a ton of promise, and I wasn't exactly trying to compare anyone to Snead, just implying that it is difficult to suggest how good a QB class is a year away. Not saying it could happen, but that there is a possibility something happens to diminish a prospects stock.

Sniper
03-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Seriously? The guy has one good game and he's the fifth-best QB now? Really?

Oregon ran a lot of man-to-man coverage against OSU (I'll never know why). Any QB can read man-to-man coverage and it certainly favors a running QB. I'll be impressed when Pryor shows that he can read more than defenses than straight man-to-man. Let's look at some passing gems from the fifth-best QB last year.

Vs. Wisconsin- 5-13 (38.5%), 87 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT
@ Purdue- 17-31 (54.8%), 221 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 2 (?) fumbles lost
Vs. New Mexico State- 11-23 (47.8%), 135 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
@ Penn State- 8-17 (47.1%), 125 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT
@ Michigan- 9-17 (52.9%), 67 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT

Pryor had two big passing games last year. One was Oregon and the other was Minnesota, and he barely completed over half of his passes against Minnesota. I'll hold off on the coronation, thanks.

RealityCheck
03-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Seriously? The guy has one good game and he's the fifth-best QB now? Really?
I agree, he has done nothing worth of that, only being the top recruit in the nation and leading his team to a 2-loss season in a tough conference.

GoRavens
03-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Jerrod Johnson is my favorite.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RsPyjLy7RcM/SsTKTU88aiI/AAAAAAAABE0/SUzpMWE6L_Q/s400/Jerrod-Johnson.jpg
He'll be a starter in the NFL for sure.
Great size/speed/arm strength/mobility/field vision.
He's ******* awesome!
Second rounder imo

ATLDirtyBirds
03-21-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm a huge RG3 fan. Hopefully he comes back strong.

Cigaro
03-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Is Russell Wilson even 6'0? Yeah, I know, Drew Brees. But his height is a big knock for me. Should move onto baseball.

Halsey
03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Terrelle Pryor will and should go in the first round. A quality NFL organization can find a way to use him. He will be worth giving a shot at starting QB and at worst will be a quality playmaking role-player.

Sniper
03-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Terrelle Pryor should go in the first round.

Based on what, exactly?

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I think Pryor will be viewed as a WR by NFL teams until he shows significant improvement as a passer. The Rose Bowl was a step in the right direction. We need more of that.

LookItsAlDavis
03-21-2010, 11:36 AM
I think Pryor will be viewed as a WR by NFL teams until he shows significant improvement as a passer. The Rose Bowl was a step in the right direction. We need more of that.

Heard the same thing about Vince Young in 2005.......

Halsey
03-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Based on what, exactly?

Elite triangle numbers
Experience in big games vs major BCS conference opponents
Steady improvement
Not folding under spotlight of being nationally famous since he was senior in high school

I can probably come up with some others.

RyanBraun8
03-21-2010, 11:40 AM

Kellen Moore doesn't need any consideration. He will never be an NFL QB or have the skill set to be in the top 10 QB rankings. Between his small build and his Sally May arm no way he is a legit prospect. Beisde some leadership he offers nothing

LookItsAlDavis
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM
My rankings for next year...

1. Jake Locker
2. Christian Ponder
3. Case Keenum
4. Ryan Mallett
5. Jerrod Johnson

Overall I think all five can go in the first two rounds. I know I have Mallett lower than most, but he isn't mobile by any stretch of the imagination, I do not see much accuracy from him, and quarterbacks do not translate well from Bobby Petrino's system. With that said, he is a large man with great arm strength who will remind a lot of people of Drew Bledsoe or Joe Flacco. He'll be a first rounder.
I really like Case Keenum and Christian Ponder. Keenum reminds me of a stronger-armed Colt Brennan. I like his mobility and quick release. However the system he is coming from is pretty sketch, but I doubt he's going in the first so there will be no rush to play him. Ponder might be one of the more underrated prospects next year. He's an extremely intelligent passer with above average arm strength and he moves well in the pocket. Think Matt Flynn with better tangibles.
Locker is Locker. No need to explain it.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Based on what, exactly?

It's funny that an SEC fan makes these claims against the advice of Big 10 at Ohio State fans. Terrelle Pryor is the single most frustrating Quarterback I've ever seen watching football. I don't like his demeanor, his attitude, & his football IQ (if measured) would show he's mentally challenged (on the field). I've said it before, if you give him a run-pass option you've given him one too many options. He's not consistently accurate, he makes horrible decisions, he's not that good throwing on the run, & he has no pocket presence. He'll turn his back on his receivers , take bad sacks, and put his team in horrible positions. 3rd Down for TP is no different than 1st, there's no urgency, he's perhaps the worst game manager I've ever seen receiving snaps from a Center. He's a QB who doesn't want to be responsible for his team, he has no problem playing the star role in a win but he doesn't want to be held accountable when the team isn't playing well.

He didn't make progress, he ended on a high note. He did well in that Oregon game. He has the potential to be a game changer. Honestly, I don't see him ever getting there and I wouldn't draft him to play any position before the 2nd Round. Pryor's a guy that will undoubtedly get drafted higher than he deserves (either at QB or WR), but I'd take Carlos Dunlap over Pryor even if he were to get another DUI tomorrow. For those of you who are confused, assuming that this 6'6 235 QB that runs a 4.45 is a good player, I'm sorry there's more than meets the eye (or paper in many cases.)

Sniper
03-21-2010, 01:37 PM
Elite triangle numbers

Not really. He's faster than he is agile or quick.

Experience in big games vs major BCS conference opponents

Stretching it here.

Steady improvement

http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

http://images1.everyjoe.com/files/2009/12/terrelle-pryor-purdue-krtphotoslive377690-SPORTS-FBC-OHIO-269x300.jpg

Look at the stat lines I posted. They're not pretty.

Not folding under spotlight of being nationally famous since he was senior in high school

Right. Flipping off and arguing with fans at a basketball game, trying to get into a verbal pissing match with Mark May, and crying to the media about how everyone hates him and disrespects him as a passer are sure-fire examples of poise and maturity.

I can probably come up with some others.

Given your rousing start to the argument, I certainly hope so.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
My rankings for next year...

1. Jake Locker
2. Christian Ponder
3. Case Keenum
4. Ryan Mallett
5. Jerrod Johnson

Overall I think all five can go in the first two rounds. I know I have Mallett lower than most, but he isn't mobile by any stretch of the imagination, I do not see much accuracy from him, and quarterbacks do not translate well from Bobby Petrino's system. With that said, he is a large man with great arm strength who will remind a lot of people of Drew Bledsoe or Joe Flacco. He'll be a first rounder.
I really like Case Keenum and Christian Ponder. Keenum reminds me of a stronger-armed Colt Brennan. I like his mobility and quick release. However the system he is coming from is pretty sketch, but I doubt he's going in the first so there will be no rush to play him. Ponder might be one of the more underrated prospects next year. He's an extremely intelligent passer with above average arm strength and he moves well in the pocket. Think Matt Flynn with better tangibles.
Locker is Locker. No need to explain it.

In a year you're going to laugh (quite hard) when you see you had Case Keenum ranked above Ryan Mallett as an NFL prospect. There's not one area in which he's a superior pro prospect and what you have is a likely Top 5 pick vs. a likely late round-UDFA player. Keenum doesn't have an NFL arm at all, he's too short, played in a gimmicky spread offense that didn't require him to read defenses. If you want more info on why Keenum won't be drafted before the 5th Round, talk to Shane P. Hallam who has looked at him very hard & is convinced there's no way he's an NFL Quarterback. Mallett on the other hand literally has all the tools & barring death should be one of the top two rated passers next year (with Locker).

Ironic that "LookitsAlDavis" would consider the 6'1 205, physically challenged Case Keenum over the 6'6 240 rocket armed Mallett.

It's hard to say things for sure, it's a touchy business, but this much I can guarantee you... Ryan Mallett is drafted at least 100 picks ahead of Keenum on draft day. There's a distinct chance that Mallett is the 1st Overall pick and Keenum goes undrafted. This is all assuming neither dies...

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-21-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't see much of a difference between Jake Locker and Christian Ponder as pro prospects. Both are mobile, have good arms, good accuracy.

brat316
03-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Robert Griffin. Wooooooooooo. He'll have a chance to play Qb well before Pryor does. He doesn't have major concerns, he has taken a very few snaps from under center, and he doesn't have horrible throwing motion. His injury history brings up questions, can he stay healthy. But his arm strength and accuracy you can't question. Teams are now going to have to start judging qbs from spread offenses, doesn't matter if they like it or not. This year's qb is coming from a spread and might have a chance to go number 1 or top 5.

Halsey
03-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Stretching it here.

Oh please. You obviously don't know what 'triangle numbers' means and you're calling it a stretch to say he has experience in big games vs top competition when he's played in 2 BCS Bowls vs Texas and Oregon, USC twice, Penn State twice, Iowa, etc. Talk to me when you get your facts straight and have something other than lame one-liners and pictures to back up your opinion,

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh please. You obviously don't know what 'triangle numbers' means and you're calling it a stretch to say he has experience in big games vs top competition when he's played in 2 BCS Bowls vs Texas and Oregon, USC twice, Penn State twice, Iowa, etc. Talk to me when you get your facts straight and have something other than lame one-liners and pictures to back up your opinion,

Why not reply to the more football/Pryor related post? I assure you there's no lame one-liners & pictures in my rebuttal to your original post.

When backing Terrelle Pryor it's clear that you haven't watched many Ohio State games. The Rose Bowl was nationally televised, and he may have played his best (or most efficient) game of his college career albeit against a weak defense. You have Big 10 and Ohio State fans telling you that you're way off here and for whatever reason you're defending him (using no breakdown of his game whatsoever). How's he done in these big games anyway? In the games you mentioned he was 3-4 and I assure you it wasn't the defense or running game holding them back. I've seen every college game he's played (aside from maybe two tune-up games) and I've got to tell you that you're way off and Sniper's right on this one.

Some people get a little too caught up in recruiting and those 5 stars.

Halsey
03-21-2010, 02:44 PM
It's funny that an SEC fan makes these claims against the advice of Big 10 at Ohio State fans. Terrelle Pryor is the single most frustrating Quarterback I've ever seen watching football. I don't like his demeanor, his attitude, & his football IQ (if measured) would show he's mentally challenged (on the field). I've said it before, if you give him a run-pass option you've given him one too many options. He's not consistently accurate, he makes horrible decisions, he's not that good throwing on the run, & he has no pocket presence. He'll turn his back on his receivers , take bad sacks, and put his team in horrible positions. 3rd Down for TP is no different than 1st, there's no urgency, he's perhaps the worst game manager I've ever seen receiving snaps from a Center. He's a QB who doesn't want to be responsible for his team, he has no problem playing the star role in a win but he doesn't want to be held accountable when the team isn't playing well.

He didn't make progress, he ended on a high note. He did well in that Oregon game. He has the potential to be a game changer. Honestly, I don't see him ever getting there and I wouldn't draft him to play any position before the 2nd Round. Pryor's a guy that will undoubtedly get drafted higher than he deserves (either at QB or WR), but I'd take Carlos Dunlap over Pryor even if he were to get another DUI tomorrow. For those of you who are confused, assuming that this 6'6 235 QB that runs a 4.45 is a good player, I'm sorry there's more than meets the eye (or paper in many cases.)

He's 20. I don't expect him to be perfect as a true freshman and sophomore. I get that he's got attitude issues, but that hasn't gotten him in any major trouble or stopped him from starting very early at major school and compiling an impressive record as a starter. If he continues to improve a team is going to take him in the first.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 02:52 PM
He's 20. I don't expect him to be perfect as a true freshman and sophomore. I get that he's got attitude issues, but that hasn't gotten him in any major trouble or stopped him from starting very early at major school and compiling an impressive record as a starter. If he continues to improve a team is going to take him in the first.

He has to actually improve to continue to improve. As a player & person he showed no growth from his Freshman to his Sophomore year. He got a larger role in the offense this year and was really aided by the continuing development of RBs Brandon Saine and Dan "Boom" Herron. He showed no improvement as a game manager or passer. Until I see the strides (and not just one game) I'm going to stay on Sniper's side. If the Bucks had Troy Smith at QB they'd have been in the last two national championship games (Yes, I do believe that do be true)... Terrelle Pryor is the gun that shoots Ohio State in the foot.... for now at least.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2010, 02:52 PM
Pryor would have see the kind of improvement that Vince Young saw between his sophomore and junior year for people to even start talking about it being worth it for him to leave school early. I can't claim to have caught bunches of Ohio State games, but I never got the impression that he couldn't make that kind of improvement, it's just that that sort of meteoric improvement is hard to come by.

Halsey
03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
He has to actually improve to continue to improve. As a player & person he showed no growth from his Freshman to his Sophomore year. He got a larger role in the offense this year and was really aided by the continuing development of RBs Brandon Saine and Dan "Boom" Herron. He showed no improvement as a game manager or passer. Until I see the strides (and not just one game) I'm going to stay on Sniper's side. If the Bucks had Troy Smith at QB they'd have been in the last two national championship games (Yes, I do believe that do be true)... Terrelle Pryor is the gun that shoots Ohio State in the foot.... for now at least.

Troy Smith? You mean the guy who didn't even play QB his first two years at OSU and got suspended at one point for accepting cash from a booster? Did you write him off after his first two years too?

Complex
03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Troy Smith? You mean the guy who didn't even play QB his first two years at OSU and got suspended at one point for accepting cash from a booster? Did you write him off after his first two years too?

The pudge hates Pryor just don't say anything, he'll go on about Pryor weakness and strength and his bad attitude. The pudge is a pro scout leave him alone.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 03:03 PM

He wasn't a five star recruit.... when Troy got on the field he delivered, Pryor on the other hand has taken away my enthusiasm for the Buckeyes. If Pryor improves the sky may be the limit, but in the here-and-now he's probably the 6th best Quarterback in the Big Ten. OSU's had a very good, blue-collar team the past two years but they are led by a guy with little heart or football intelligence.

Halsey
03-21-2010, 03:06 PM
He wasn't a five star recruit

I never said a word about him being a 5 star recruit. You're putting words into my argument out of frustration. Take a step back and stop being emotional about Pryor. You remind me of UGA fans who swore Stafford would bust because they were upset when he left before winning 3 national championships, like they expected him to.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
The pudge hates Pryor just don't say anything, he'll go on about Pryor weakness and strength and his bad attitude. The pudge is a pro scout leave him alone.

You haven't ever analyzed a player that you don't like? I can tell you all his strengths, but everyone knows that... his strengths are the same as they were coming out of high school. He's capable of picking up big-time yards with his feet, he has a pretty good arm, & at 6'6 235 his size is ideal for an NFL Quarterback. Now, as an Ohio State fan, I can also tell you things he doesn't do well. I get a bad rep sometimes for actually taking the NFL Draft further than a hobby. I'm in college not to be an architect, or a pilot, but an NFL scout or draft analyst. I'm 20 years old & I can't see any feasible way that I won't be working in a football related field (whether it be for an NFL team or online like Scott Wright.)

Doesn't mean anyone here can't put me in my place with a good, well-thought-out argument. That's happened before and will continue to happen. I'm not always right & I don't claim to be. It's just much tougher to do that on a subject relating to Ohio State or something I'm VERY familiar with.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 04:09 PM
I never said a word about him being a 5 star recruit. You're putting words into my argument out of frustration. Take a step back and stop being emotional about Pryor. You remind me of UGA fans who swore Stafford would bust because they were upset when he left before winning 3 national championships, like they expected him to.

I know you didn't say a word about him as a 5 star recruit but that's where most of his lofty expectations & hype stemmed from. I never claimed you said that, but were he not as hyped coming out of high school more casual fans would see him for what he really is.... A below-average Quarterback with all the ability in the world but no football IQ & endless faults on the field who hasn't shown progress since High School.

I'm not frustrated at all. I'm not being emotional about Pryor, I've just seen him play. Take a hard look at his first two years at OSU and please tell me where anything I said was incorrect. Just watch him play, you'll see what I mean, you'll see what Sniper means, and you won't have to assume anymore.

Halsey
03-21-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm just saying he can be a first round pick and I think there's a pretty good chance he will be. He was a well known recruit because every program in the country wanted him. He's a big time talent with starting QB potential.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm just saying he can be a first round pick and I think there's a pretty good chance he will be. He was a well known recruit because every program in the country wanted him. He's a big time talent with starting QB potential.

I'll agree with that, he CAN be a first round pick (if he shows enough he could even be a Top 5-10 pick) I just am not going along with when you said he will and should go in the first round. His steady improvement was only evident when he moved from WR to Quarterback his Junior year in High School & he has not handled the limelight well often seeming immature as well as failing to live up to personal expectations. If he shows drastic improvement I'll be the first to jump out of my seat and proclaim the first round.... but he hasn't yet, so let's hold the phone. His ceiling is immense, no one can deny that, sometimes he just makes it look too easy. I'm not rock-headed when it comes to football, I'm open to changing my opinion, but it's not going to happen without actual improvement or progress on & off the field.

Thumper
03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Pryor won't be picked in the first round, he has the ability and athletic gifts of a first rounder but he doesn't put it all together on the field and he looks very very mediocre on the field. I also don't think he is fast enough to play WR, I've seen him run and he doesn't seem fast or agile at all, he seems big, he is a long strider and he isn't really agile or quick. I don't see anything materializing for Pryor at any spot in the NFL, maybe he could be a good wildcat player.

Right now the 2011 QB class is sick, Jerrod Johnson is probably the most physically gifted followed closely by Ryan Mallett and Jake Locker. Right now I'm predicting at least 5 QBs in round 1, Locker, Johnson, Mallett, Jacory Harris and Christian Ponder. You could add Andrew Luck to that mix if he came out he would likely be a top 5 pick. I think the team's that need a QB this year should build a foundation and then draft a QB since so many good ones are going to be there next year. So that means Washington should take Okung and draft Locker, Johnson, Mallett, Harris, Ponder or Luck in the 2011 draft after the offensive line is improved and the QB isn't taking a complete and utter beat down every week.

LookItsAlDavis
03-21-2010, 04:53 PM
In a year you're going to laugh (quite hard) when you see you had Case Keenum ranked above Ryan Mallett as an NFL prospect. There's not one area in which he's a superior pro prospect and what you have is a likely Top 5 pick vs. a likely late round-UDFA player. Keenum doesn't have an NFL arm at all, he's too short, played in a gimmicky spread offense that didn't require him to read defenses. If you want more info on why Keenum won't be drafted before the 5th Round, talk to Shane P. Hallam who has looked at him very hard & is convinced there's no way he's an NFL Quarterback. Mallett on the other hand literally has all the tools & barring death should be one of the top two rated passers next year (with Locker).

Ironic that "LookitsAlDavis" would consider the 6'1 205, physically challenged Case Keenum over the 6'6 240 rocket armed Mallett.

It's hard to say things for sure, it's a touchy business, but this much I can guarantee you... Ryan Mallett is drafted at least 100 picks ahead of Keenum on draft day. There's a distinct chance that Mallett is the 1st Overall pick and Keenum goes undrafted. This is all assuming neither dies...

We all have our opinions. Did I say Keenum would be drafted higher than Mallett? No. I like Keenum more than Mallett though. I know he played in a spread offense, and that he is undersized. However, from seeing what has become of JaMarcus Russell I am not going to fall over for a guy just because he is big and can throw far. Mallett has great ability, but his feet are awful and his accuracy suffers from it. It's the same reason I preferred Sanchez to Stafford last year.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 05:24 PM
We all have our opinions. Did I say Keenum would be drafted higher than Mallett? No. I like Keenum more than Mallett though. I know he played in a spread offense, and that he is undersized. However, from seeing what has become of JaMarcus Russell I am not going to fall over for a guy just because he is big and can throw far. Mallett has great ability, but his feet are awful and his accuracy suffers from it. It's the same reason I preferred Sanchez to Stafford last year.

These Russell/Mallett comparisons don't go any further than size & arm strength which DEFINITELY wasn't the problem for JaMarcus. Mallett is competitive, a hard worker, & comes without the concerns that made Russell the most visible bust in recent memory. Watching Keenum though, he's not Drew Brees & there is a lot of concern about both the lack of God-given talent/physical ability and his adjustment to the NFL.

I don't mean to dog someone on their opinions, but I just don't know what you see in Keenum that makes you think he'll be a better NFL player/prospect than Ryan Mallett. I'm ok with Sanchez over Stafford, they were very close on my board. But if someone said Chase Daniel > Stafford (which is more or less what Keenum > Mallett is) you'd have to raise an eyebrow.

Looking at his 55.8% completion percentage you'd assume accuracy concerns but those numbers don't account for the 5-10 passes PER GAME that were dropped by Razorbacks receivers. His accuracy is unbelievable 15+ yards downfield and he simply must work on putting a little more touch on his short passes so they're easier to catch. Very accurate though, with the ability to make any throw. His footwork is improving, but had to develop/adjust after losing 20-25 pounds for Arkansas' coaches. It's certainly not awful, just a bit inconsistent. I think people that didn't see him late in the season (Mississippi State/LSU/East Carolina) are a little confused about Ryan Mallett and I grow impatient of simple assumptions based on regurgitated assumptions/faulty statistics.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I wind up saying this in every single quarterback discussion, but another time couldn't hurt...

Making physical comparisons between quarterbacks is futile. Far too much of the success or failure of an NFL quarterback is how well they can process what happens on the field and how much effort they put into succeeding. I'm not saying don't discuss things like arm strength or throwing motion or mobility. Those attributes all matter, but a tall guy with a big arm has nothing to do with JaMarcus Russell nor does a small guy with a somewhat lacking arm have anything to do with Drew Brees.

RealityCheck
03-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Kellen Moore doesn't need any consideration. He will never be an NFL QB or have the skill set to be in the top 10 QB rankings. Between his small build and his Sally May arm no way he is a legit prospect. Beisde some leadership he offers nothing
You say that because he went to Boise State.
If he went to ******* Alabama or USC you'd all be sucking his dick like you do with Bradford and Clausen.
Moore has everything it's needed. Of course, if he had a couple of extra inches, he'd be perfect.

We know there will be 4 or 5 QBs in the 1st, but who would draft them?

CashmoneyDrew
03-21-2010, 06:04 PM
Moore has everything it's needed. Of course, if he had a couple of extra inches, he'd be perfect.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kvhwhkd4NG1qzsahoo1_500.jpg

RealityCheck
03-21-2010, 06:11 PM
When I said inches, I meant height, you dirty mind bastards.

thetedginnshow
03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Moore has everything it's needed.

Except he's skinny and super ugly.

And Pryor certainly has what it takes to be a first round QB. He doesn't have what it takes to be a great NFL QB though.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 06:32 PM
You say that because he went to Boise State.
If he went to ******* Alabama or USC you'd all be sucking his dick like you do with Bradford and Clausen.

We know there will be 4 or 5 QBs in the 1st, but who would draft them?

So you think Kellen Moore is on par with Bradford/Clausen? There's only 1 successful NFL QB in the 6'0 range and he dominated the Big Ten (when it was very strong), not at Boise State. What makes Moore a better prospect than Colt Brennan, Chase Daniel, Troy Smith, and the slew of QBs with ridiculous college statistics but a lack of height? I question Moore's arm as well, though I think that's more on par with an NFL level than his height which will truly hamper his stock.

You say he's got everything he needs... what about height? Of course a couple more inches would make him a better prospect. If Colt McCoy had three more inches he'd be a Top 10 pick. Impossible & irrelevant. Experience against top competition is another concern.

Maybe more people would be a fan of Moore were he playing at a bigger school (more exposure/larger fanbase) but you can say that about ANY small school player (though who knows if these players would even excel at a high level of comp.)... It didn't help Chase Daniel (undrafted) or Troy Smith (5th Round) on draft day.

We'll know who needs QBs after the draft then again after the 10' season.

RealityCheck
03-21-2010, 06:54 PM
Except he's skinny and super ugly.
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/pics11/200/WF/WFGSMOVOBTALBYG.20090812195929.jpg
He's gonna scare the hell out of your children.

LetsGoGiants!
03-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Hey Pudge, where do you go to school to become an NFL scout and what courses do you take?

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Hey Pudge, where do you go to school to become an NFL scout and what courses do you take?

I'm at Ohio University in the Sports Management program, which is the top school in the country for that major (not that it's exactly the field I'm going for.) I'm really only in there to make connections & get that piece of paper because there aren't any talent evaluation courses. I have to take my own initiative to network myself and improve the work I do. I've been going to the draft since I was 15 & have interviewed players since 16. No class is going to teach you exactly how to evaluate players so most of my progress has been discussing the draft here and broadening what I do each year. Every year I feel much better than I did the year before & hopefully I'll continue to improve and build a resume that few my age can match (job market is not the best, as we all know.)

I'm not good with cars, I'm no accountant, & I'm not an oceanographer. If I don't make it in the NFL or draft business in some way I'm going to be lost, it's what I've worked for the last six or seven years. I understand how I bother some people here, but I really don't think I'm above anyone, it's just very hard to make everyone happy. People make statements, then I make statements back... and people get annoyed with me thinking I take myself too seriously. I'm not getting any special training that the posters here aren't, but it is my goal & more than just a hobby for me so I work pretty hard on it and it takes up most of my free time.

bored of education
03-21-2010, 07:29 PM
You can always get a spot on tool academy!

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 07:30 PM

he ran an electronic 4.33 on the fast track (which is probably 4.4ish). He's fast enough for you old man.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 07:35 PM
You can always get a spot on tool academy!

I have to start treating my girlfriend a bit worse, go tanning, & start lifting... Then I'm onboard. I'd love to take that ten week break, get drunk, & win 100,000 though. Highly recommend that show. VH1 on tonight at 9 ET for anyone with nothing to do!

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Pryor's career thus far is very similar to Vince Young's in college. Their stats last I saw them through however many starts were near identical and they both had huge games in Rose Bowls victories to finish their sophomore years. He'll be the top QB in the league next year I don't doubt, but it is certain that he's far from being a good enough passer to be any kind of QB in the NFL at all. He has an impressive vertical leap and is 6'5", runs like the wind, is very strong and powerful and has a great stiffarm move.....as of today he is a very intriguing WR prospect in the NFL with much more upside there. Most of last season Tressel wouldn't let Terrelle do anything more than manage games and throw ~15 passes a game b/c he was too raw and erratic - except for in the Rose bowl.

LetsGoGiants!
03-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Oh yeah. I was just always interested in how people got into that business. Good luck in accomplishing your goal.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh yeah. I was just always interested in how people got into that business. Good luck in accomplishing your goal.

I'd imagine it's pretty tough, but by the time I get out of college (either June or November 2012) I should have a good resume for a regional scout and with a college degree I should have some ability to move up the ladder in the business. As far as I know there's no surefire fast track to being a scout. Still not sure if I want to do that or take a website approach and work from my home... We'll see, I'l figure something out

LookItsAlDavis
03-21-2010, 08:07 PM
I'd imagine it's pretty tough, but by the time I get out of college (either June or November 2012) I should have a good resume for a regional scout and with a college degree I should have some ability to move up the ladder in the business. As far as I know there's no surefire fast track to being a scout. Still not sure if I want to do that or take a website approach and work from my home... We'll see, I'l figure something out

Not that he's the greatest, but McShay started off by helping his college team (Richmond) cut tape and evaluating players. That seems like the best way to get started.

HawkeyeFan
03-21-2010, 09:31 PM
I love me someeeezzz
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/122193/340x.jpg

brat316
03-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Robert Griffin. is da man.

Thumper
03-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Robert Griffin. is da man.

http://whereballmeetsfoot.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/washington_st_baylor_football_4446892.jpg

I concur, RGIII is a monster.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Join the club gentlemen.

Sniper
03-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Ahhhhhh, yes, experience. Shall we check out the statlines on these big-time games or do you want to wave the white flag now?

Sniper
03-23-2010, 05:33 PM
he ran an electronic 4.33 on the fast track (which is probably 4.4ish). He's fast enough for you old man.

Are you dumb, playing dumb, or blind? I said he's fast in the very message you quoted. Show me where I said he isn't. He's not as quick out of cuts or as agile as Halsey makes him out to be.

Halsey
03-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Ahhhhhh, yes, experience. Shall we check out the statlines on these big-time games or do you want to wave the white flag now?

It's a myth that Pryor is terrible vs top competition. His numbers aren't that bad for a true freshman and sophomore vs top competition and he's helped his team go 6-4 vs top 25 teams. This past season he was clearly the offensive MVP, as a true sophomore, for a team that went 11-2.

Plat
03-25-2010, 01:55 AM
Mallett is going to be a beast in the NFL, I think Jerrod Johnson will too, Locker will tear it up and if Luck comes out he will go top 5. Pryor, I gotta watch more of but it seems like he can be really good, RGIII was amazing his freshman year but lets see if he is still the same animal, Ponder is real solid...Jacory Harris needs to work on a lot of stuff but I like his character, bottom line is the 2011 QB class has the potential to be AMAZING.

iowatreat54
03-25-2010, 03:32 AM
It's a myth that Pryor is terrible vs top competition. His numbers aren't that bad for a true freshman and sophomore vs top competition and he's helped his team go 6-4 vs top 25 teams. This past season he was clearly the offensive MVP, as a true sophomore, for a team that went 11-2.

To be fair, to say you're the offensive MVP on the Buckeyes isn't really saying much.

OSU going 11-2 had about 90% to do with a dominant D.

FUNBUNCHER
03-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Hey Pudge, one word...internship. Beg, borrow, steal, but try to hook up with an NFL team, preferably the Browns or Bengals, and get a gopher type gig in the player personnel department.
It may be a little late going into April, so tell them what you can do for them.
Give them a breakdown of your top 100 prospects for 2011 with your top 10 rankings for every position.

I know Charley Casserly took a really unglamorous route to the FO and GM position, but he started off doing whatever needed to be done in the scouting department.
Most teams never have enough scouts willing to go check out prospects in person.

Halsey
03-25-2010, 04:53 AM
To be fair, to say you're the offensive MVP on the Buckeyes isn't really saying much.

OSU going 11-2 had about 90% to do with a dominant D.

Simply not true. The Buckeyes' offense averaged 3 offensive TDs per game and scored 30+ points 7 times. Take Pryor off that team, and they wouldn't have been close to a 11-2 Rose Bowl winner.

Razor
03-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Hey Pudge, one word...internship. Beg, borrow, steal, but try to hook up with an NFL team, preferably the Browns or Bengals, and get a gopher type gig in the player personnel department.
It may be a little late going into April, so tell them what you can do for them.
Give them a breakdown of your top 100 prospects for 2011 with your top 10 rankings for every position.

I know Charley Casserly took a really unglamorous route to the FO and GM position, but he started off doing whatever needed to be done in the scouting department.
Most teams never have enough scouts willing to go check out prospects in person.

You can probably add the Patriots to that list. BB started in the business doing all the small things that nobody else wanted to do. So he has a soft spot for people who do that at an affordable rate (ie. very low salary). I guess he thinks it shows commitment.

iowatreat54
03-25-2010, 12:01 PM
Simply not true. The Buckeyes' offense averaged 3 offensive TDs per game and scored 30+ points 7 times. Take Pryor off that team, and they wouldn't have been close to a 11-2 Rose Bowl winner.

Ohio St. was 50th in the nation in scoring (29 points per game) and 68th in total yards per game (369 yards per game).

Ohio St. was 5th in the nation in scoring defense (12.5 points per game) and 5th in total yards per game allowed (262 yards per game).

Explain to me how Ohio St. being 11-2 wasn't almost solely because of their dominant defense? Was it their offense being at about halfway in the D1 rankings?

Of the 29 points per game and 369 yards per game Ohio St. averaged, Pryor averaged 161 yards passing, 60 yards rushing, and 15 points per game.

So yes, Pryor was easily OSU's offensive MVP averaging about 66% of yards and 50% of points per game. However, like I said, MVP of an offense that ranks midway in all of D1 isn't a big deal. Futhermore, if OSU had an actual good QB, with the OL and running game they had, he could easily average 250-300 yards per game and 3+ TDs. Pryor adds a great dynamic with his legs, but at this point it really doesn't mean much when he can only throw for 160 yards, has less passing attempts in his career than 20 teams had in 2009, and a TD:INT ration of 1.6. Also, his passing didn't improve really at all from frosh to soph years.

People want to say, "Oh, well Vince Young was the same way," and Pryor may turn out to have a similar development. But to say right now that Pryor is anything but a good playmaker with avergae to below average passing ability is just dishonest and/or delusional.

Halsey
03-25-2010, 06:17 PM
Ohio St. was 50th in the nation in scoring (29 points per game) and 68th in total yards per game (369 yards per game).

Ohio St. was 5th in the nation in scoring defense (12.5 points per game) and 5th in total yards per game allowed (262 yards per game).

Explain to me how Ohio St. being 11-2 wasn't almost solely because of their dominant defense?

This isn't even an argument worth carrying on. Ohio State's wins included 31-27 vs Navy, 27-24 vs Iowa and 26-17 vs Oregon. All about the defense? Please. Was the defense clearly the stronger unit? Yeah, but the game of football is over your head if you think the offense didn't contribute.

RealityCheck
03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef01157052186b970c-500wi

Matt Barkley my ***.

iowatreat54
03-25-2010, 06:54 PM
This isn't even an argument worth carrying on. Ohio State's wins included 31-27 vs Navy, 27-24 vs Iowa and 26-17 vs Oregon. All about the defense? Please. Was the defense clearly the stronger unit? Yeah, but the game of football is over your head if you think the offense didn't contribute.

I'm not saying they didn't contribute. But the overwhelming majority of why they were 11-2 was because of their defense. You also left out the fact that OSU had 3 shutouts, and 7 other occasions where they allowed less than 20 points.

To say that OSU went 11-2 because of Pryor is just blatantly false. Pryor helped, but the reason they went 11-2 was because of their defense.

Give OSU a mediocre defense, they likely win only 7 or 8 games. Give OSU a QB like Bradford and they probably don't lose any more than 2 games. Hell, give them Ricky Stanzi, who is very average at this point, and they probably still win at least 10 games.

Back to the original discussion, and that is that Pryor hasn't really progressed all that much. He had maybe 3 games out of 13 where he looked good. That's not to say he can't progress, but he hasn't really shown anything to say that he will all that much, and to compare his situation to Vince Young (whoever did) has no basis at this point just because they both struggled early in their careers. There are tons of QBs that struggled early and never amounted to anything.

Halsey
03-25-2010, 07:03 PM
I never said Pryor did it alone...Never even came close to saying that. I simply pointed out the fact that he was the offensive MVP of an 11-2 Rose Bowl champion, as a true sophomore.

iowatreat54
03-25-2010, 07:20 PM
I never said Pryor did it alone...Never even came close to saying that. I simply pointed out the fact that he was the offensive MVP of an 11-2 Rose Bowl champion, as a true sophomore.

And I said saying you're offensive MVP for OSU isn't really that big of a deal.

You also said without Pryor, they wouldn't be close to 11-2 and/or Rose Bowl winner, which I disagree with. With the OL and running game OSU had, a strong pocket passer could easily have accounted for 250-300 yards a game and 3+ TDs, versus Pryor accounting for 220 and 2, and probably lead them to the same record, if not a win vs. Purdue and/or USC.

Does his running add an extra dimension? Yes. But his passing is below average, or average on his best days. A good passer could easily have taken OSU to where they went.

In 130 more pass attempts (still 295 is not a lot...at all), Pryor's completion %, yards per attempt, yards per completion, TD:INT ratio all decreased significantly. How has he improved as a passer?

Sure, he has more experience, but everyone gets experience when they play in games. The Rose Bowl is really the only game this past year where he showed any improvement from 2008.

keylime_5
03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Are you dumb, playing dumb, or blind? I said he's fast in the very message you quoted. Show me where I said he isn't. He's not as quick out of cuts or as agile as Halsey makes him out to be.

yeah, I was just looking for an excuse to quote Obi Wan :)

Halsey
03-25-2010, 09:19 PM
And I said saying you're offensive MVP for OSU isn't really that big of a deal.

You also said without Pryor, they wouldn't be close to 11-2 and/or Rose Bowl winner, which I disagree with. With the OL and running game

So if being the OMVP was no big deal then you must be saying that Pryor led OSU offense without great talent around him. Agreed.

And that running game you speak of: Yeah, Pryor led the Buckeyes in rushing and rushing TDs.