PDA

View Full Version : Clausen vs. Quinn

stretch14
03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
With all the trade talk today about Brady Quinn being traded to Broncos it got me thinking. Who coming out of college was a better prospect. I know Quinn fell to pick number 22 but there was lots of talk leading to draft how he would go top 3. Scott's report on Clausen is very impressive. How does it compare to what he thought of Brady Quinn? What do you think?

TACKLE
03-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Brady Quinn for sure.

Mr.Regular
03-14-2010, 10:58 PM
I think Clausen, but I would say their stocks are relatively close. The only things Quinn has an edge in is his college resume and his reported leadership qualities. Those leadership qualities and intangibles though can be a huge deal.
Clausens arm is better, he has much better accuracy, he has better pocket presence, and he has shown more of a willingness to throw all over the field. I may be viewing Quinn as more of the pro version of himself, but I believe even in college he showed a tendency to check down too much, and get rattled by pressure. I don't really see that with Clausen.
So their stocks are pretty close, but I think Clausen in the end will carry the higher grade. Quinns stock was mainly based off of his intangibles IMO and Clausens stock is only this low because of his.
Very interesting comparison.

RaiderNation
03-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Very similar prospects IMO. Of course coming from Notre Dame and same offence but they both have similar size and arm. Bother were expected to be guys that can come in and maybe start from day 1. Personally I think Id have Clausen rated higher but it is close

Halsey
03-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Playing at the same school makes 2 prospects just alike. Just look around the NFL for proof:

Kyle Orton = Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers = Kyle Boller
Carson Palmer = Matt Leinart
Marc Bulger = Pat White

Yes sir. There's no more sure way to judge a QB prospect that to assume he's just like other prospects that come from the same school.

hagy34
03-15-2010, 12:13 AM
It sure is easy to rate Clausen higher after seeing a few years of Brady floundering in Cleveland. There is no question that Quinn was a better prospect than Clausen coming out of ND. No doubt about it. I think Scott would probably laugh at this one....

LickaMahfeetz
03-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Clausen, way better prospect and it's not even close. If Clausen had played on a better team with a better win/loss ratio over his career, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Saints-Tigers
03-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Playing at the same school makes 2 prospects just alike. Just look around the NFL for proof:

Kyle Orton = Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers = Kyle Boller
Carson Palmer = Matt Leinart
Marc Bulger = Pat White

Yes sir. There's no more sure way to judge a QB prospect that to assume he's just like other prospects that come from the same school.

They are pretty similar as prospects, in terms of style of play, and probably draft stock.

I like how whenever I see your name in a thread, it's pretty much a lock to not contribute anything.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 08:23 AM
It should be noted that Adam Schefter posted on his twitter, in response to Daniel Jeremiah - former Browns/Ravens scout, that he keep reading Jimmy Clausen in the Top 10 but hasn't talked to a single team that has him rated that highly. This was 5 AM this morning, nothing before the Combine or anything. I think people are taking Jimmy's Junior success a bit too far as NFL scouts don't see nearly as impressed as more casual fans or maybe questions about his personality/maturity are more serious than we know. Either way, I graded Quinn out a little higher than I have Clausen though that says nothing about the career I expect Jimmy to have.

Along with a couple others (including Scott Wright) I thought Brady Quinn was a damn good NFL prospect. He let his flaws (happy feet) take over, lost confidence this year, and he didn't have the kind f team that could bail him out or give him a comfortable/secure situation. In Denver we'll see if Quinn was a bust or not as he'll have the chance to succeed in a situation with good receivers (w/Marshall), a very good OL, and a strong defense to help the cause.

Staubach12
03-15-2010, 09:07 AM
They're pretty similar, but I'd probably take Clausen. Quinn's accuracy issues were a lot worse.

bitonti
03-15-2010, 09:14 AM
quinn has proved he's brutal, clausen could be decent.

Halsey
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Clausen should, and likely will, be drafted in the top 10 because he is a first round QB prospect in a draft that doesn't offer many options on paper for teams in need of a potential franchise QB. Teams like Washington, Seattle, Cleveland and Buffalo are going nowhere until they find a long term answer at QB. NFL teams can spend a decade or more spinning their wheels without a long term starting quality QB. In fact, that's exactly what teams like Washington, Buffalo and Cleveland have been doing. Adding some muscle bound, athletic position player who makes flashy plays might be more sexy to many fans, but won't do anything to change the fortunes of the previously mentioned teams.

Brent
03-15-2010, 09:39 AM
They are pretty similar as prospects, in terms of style of play, and probably draft stock.

I like how whenever I see your name in a thread, it's pretty much a lock to not contribute anything.
I hope you know he was being sarcastic. Also, that little jab you put in at the end makes you look like a jackass.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Clausen should, and likely will, be drafted in the top 10 because he is a first round QB prospect in a draft that doesn't offer many options on paper for teams in need of a potential franchise QB. Teams like Washington, Seattle, Cleveland and Buffalo are going nowhere until they find a long term answer at QB. NFL teams can spend a decade or more spinning their wheels without a long term starting quality QB. In fact, that's exactly what teams like Washington, Buffalo and Cleveland have been doing. Adding some muscle bound, athletic position player who makes flashy plays might be more sexy to many fans, but won't do anything to change the fortunes of the previously mentioned teams.

I agree with you, and personally due to his potential as a starting QB in the league I have him ranked securely in the Top 10 (7th) on my personal board. I just don't think he's in the same league with Quinn as a prospect. Quinn had a great personality, was built a bit more sturdy with a bit more athleticism, and had every bit of the arm Clausen has & similar concerns over the deep ball (Clausen - hangs, Quinn - flutters). I had much higher hopes for Quinn coming out compared to what he's done so far and as a QB prospect I would grade the recent (since 2007) guys...

1. Matt Ryan - Boston College
2. Sam Bradford - Oklahoma
3. Matthew Stafford - Georgia
4. Brady Quinn - Notre Dame
5. Mark Sanchez - USC
6. Jimmy Clausen - Notre Dame
7. JaMarcus Russell - LSU
8. Josh Freeman - Kansas State
9. Chad Henne - Michigan
10. Joe Flacco - Delaware

- You can tell I'm more of a sucker for intangibles, mechanics, and height than I am those 6'6 240+ rocket armed passers. (Until Ryan Mallett next year)

K Train
03-15-2010, 10:00 AM
marc bulger=pat white? lol

anyway they are similar, i would say that quinn was a prospect more in the mold of a brady/manning(s) type of player if he were to get to elite status one day, and clausen would be more comparable to favre/cutler

i think quinn will do well in denver, its damn near the same offense as ND, hes got a good run game, good defense, marshall/royal, clady. a fresh start is what he needs and i wouldnt be surprised to see him turn the corner

Halsey
03-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I just think we need to be careful not to overanalyze the whole personality thing. Yes, intangibles are important, but being cocky won't hold a guy back if he's a hard working, talented player. I would be more concerned if Clausen had work ethic issues or had been in trouble off the field. I've heard nothing of him to make me think those type of things are a concern. Besides, teams have to be willing to take a chance on QBs. There is no better jackpot for an NFL team than to draft a long term starting QB and there is no worse weakness for a NFL team than to not have a starting quality QB. Yeah, it's risky to draft QBs but it's also risky to keep passing them. Last year many thought Tampa Bay made a mistake in taking a risk on Josh Freeman. Right now I bet there are numerous teams, including Cleveland and Buffalo, who wished they had taken that chance.

Finnegans Wake
03-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Clausen, way better prospect and it's not even close. If Clausen had played on a better team with a better win/loss ratio over his career, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I never thought Quinn was much of a prospect. His lack of success has surprised me not at all. No arm, period. Clausen has what it takes to be a very successful QB in this league, and should in fact have better early success than Bradford.

EvilNixon
03-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree with you, and personally due to his potential as a starting QB in the league I have him ranked securely in the Top 10 (7th) on my personal board. I just don't think he's in the same league with Quinn as a prospect. Quinn had a great personality, was built a bit more sturdy with a bit more athleticism, and had every bit of the arm Clausen has & similar concerns over the deep ball (Clausen - hangs, Quinn - flutters). I had much higher hopes for Quinn coming out compared to what he's done so far and as a QB prospect I would grade the recent (since 2007) guys...

1. Matt Ryan - Boston College
2. Sam Bradford - Oklahoma
3. Matthew Stafford - Georgia
4. Brady Quinn - Notre Dame
5. Mark Sanchez - USC
6. Jimmy Clausen - Notre Dame
7. JaMarcus Russell - LSU
8. Josh Freeman - Kansas State
9. Chad Henne - Michigan
10. Joe Flacco - Delaware

- You can tell I'm more of a sucker for intangibles, mechanics, and height than I am those 6'6 240+ rocket armed passers. (Until Ryan Mallett next year)

I lmao'd at Sam Bradford at 2.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 11:57 AM
I lmao'd at Sam Bradford at 2.

And I'll lmao when Goodell reads the card making Bradford the draft's top pick, proving some struggling individuals here wrong.

yourfavestoner
03-15-2010, 12:07 PM
And I'll lmao when Goodell reads the card making Bradford the draft's top pick, proving some struggling individuals here wrong.

Yeah, I still don't get all the Sam Bradford hate on here. He's pretty much the same prospect as Matt Ryan, and everybody on this board hated Ryan too.

Truth be told, the only QB prospect that has been universally liked on this board has been Matt Leinart. There was only a small (albeit vocal) minority that had Cutler above him and Young.

bigbluedefense
03-15-2010, 12:12 PM
I love me some Sam Bradford.

He stands tall in the pocket, deadly accurate, good arm, safe with the ball, makes progressions, wins etc.

smart.

He needs to learn how to play under center, but so did Flacco. My only real concern is durability and how he handles a blitz. I need to grab more tape of him to see how he does in those situations. But for the most part, I'm a fan.

Clausen....he has all the tools, but I'm not sure if he has the mental makeup to be a qb in the NFL. I feel a sense of entitlement and diva'ish attitude on the guy. Doesn't sound very well liked. I'm unsure on him. His interviews would be the tell tale for me.

FUNBUNCHER
03-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Quinn only had a 61% completions in the same offense as a senior under Weis at ND.
Clausen was at 68% his final year.

I just feel like Clausen has a better arm, a better feel for the downfield passing game and hitting on intermediate to deep routes.

There's a reason IMO that Clausen was the #1 rated QB prospect as a prep and Quinn was JAG.

Quinn looks the part, but when the bullets are flying live, his game (so far) has not shown the ability to elevate and thrive under pressure.

Maybe Quinn improves in Denver, but some QBs never get past their inability to produce at a high level when the stakes are highest.

I'm not writing Quinn off, but in no way do I think they are equal prospects coming out of college. Both are 1st round types, but Clausen is more of a legitimate top 10 guy who I believe will prove he is a better prospect than Bradford.

yourfavestoner
03-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I love me some Sam Bradford.

He stands tall in the pocket, deadly accurate, good arm, safe with the ball, makes progressions, wins etc.

smart.

He needs to learn how to play under center, but so did Flacco. My only real concern is durability and how he handles a blitz. I need to grab more tape of him to see how he does in those situations. But for the most part, I'm a fan.

Clausen....he has all the tools, but I'm not sure if he has the mental makeup to be a qb in the NFL. I feel a sense of entitlement and diva'ish attitude on the guy. Doesn't sound very well liked. I'm unsure on him. His interviews would be the tell tale for me.

ZOMGZ NO SPREAD OFFENCE QB CAN EVAR SUXEEDZZZZZZ

bigbluedefense
03-15-2010, 12:23 PM
ZOMGZ NO SPREAD OFFENCE QB CAN EVAR SUXEEDZZZZZZ

i hate how scouts make it sound like its sooooo hard to learn how to get under center and readjust your footwork.

seriously, if the qb is too ******** to make that adjustment, he had no chance of succeeding in the NFL to begin with.

and the league is a spread offense league nowadays anyway (which i hate with a passion)

TheMorningZoo
03-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I think coming out ( barring how bad Quinn has been in the NFL so far ) Quinn was the better prospect.

I think people viewed JaMarcuss with more upside, and Quinn the safer pick of the two. That is sort of how JC and Bradford are this year (granted Bradford's issues are more about durability).

Quinn Scouting Report
Pro's: Strong Arm, Prototypical Size, Leader, Experience, Intangibles

Con's: Happy-Feet, Accuracy, Didn't Win "Big Games"

Clausen's scouting report:
Pro's: Decent size, Accuracy, Experience, Intangibles
Con's: Attitude, Didn't Win "Big Games", Upside?

They are pretty close, I just think Quinn played against better competition in college and had more success

Supporting Caste
03-15-2010, 01:33 PM
I personally think Clausen is easily the better prospect. Quinn was always overrated in my eyes, though I will admit that I thought 22nd overall was a reasonable spot to draft him. I'm surprised he's been as bad as he has.

Iamcanadian
03-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I think they are remarkedly simular as prospects. Quinn took a nose dive on draft day because scouts and GM's begain to really question his intangibles and leadership qualities and that is exactly the criticism I'm hearing about Clausen. Clausen has the physical tools but teams are really questioning his mental toughness and leadership qualities so you shouldn't be surprised if he suffers the same fate as Quinn on draft day unless he can convince GM's over the next month, that he has those qualities needed to succeed in the NFL.

FUNBUNCHER
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I don't get the questions about his mental toughness. Clausen was a tackling dummy his first couple years at ND.

He took some shots in the pocket last season, and still managed to produce, IMO.

People need to be worried about Super Sam, who rarely if ever faced any adversity in the pocket for OU.

HawkeyeFan
03-15-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't get the questions about his mental toughness. Clausen was a tackling dummy his first couple years at ND.

He took some shots in the pocket last season, and still managed to produce, IMO.

People need to be worried about Super Sam, who rarely if ever faced any adversity in the pocket for OU.
Thank you!

Iamcanadian
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM

I think they are worried about Bradford as well but he interviewed very well but there is little game film to go on when you are winning by 50-60 points. Have to check out the Florida and Texas games to form any opinion. It is my impression that Bradford seems to have the "it" factor as far as leadership is concerned according to Mayock while Clausen has yet to convince GM's he has it. Face it, you never know until they get to play in the NFL what the final answer is.
All we can go on is that Clasen is struggling to stay in the top 10(there has to be a reason, GM's aren't fully sold on him) while Bradford is talked about as going #1 overall(something has impressed GM's to keep him that high).

Saints-Tigers
03-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I hope you know he was being sarcastic. Also, that little jab you put in at the end makes you look like a jackass.

I know he was being sarcastic, he was doing what he does in every thread. This time he followed it up with actual discussion.

I'm sure he appreciates your help though ;)

McBain
03-18-2010, 12:22 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2897455700_89f03d0beb.jpg

Lets have a good clean fight; no racial slurs or moma jokes. This is a tag team event Brent, Halsey... remember to tag your partner in. Go!

Flyboy
03-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Clausen. But, at the same time I'd take Clausen over Bradford as well..

wordofi
03-18-2010, 12:44 AM
With all the trade talk today about Brady Quinn being traded to Broncos it got me thinking. Who coming out of college was a better prospect. I know Quinn fell to pick number 22 but there was lots of talk leading to draft how he would go top 3. Scott's report on Clausen is very impressive. How does it compare to what he thought of Brady Quinn? What do you think?

I think they're pretty similar. Quinn is definitely bigger though.

RWills
03-21-2010, 06:28 PM
I think he is going to fall like Quinn, the more and more I read about teams being turned off by his maturity, Seattle deciding on a third string QB over drafting Clausen (and Carrol knows Clausen as a prospect well) and now today Holmgren basically slamming him, and I agreee with him. Will Buffalo pass? I think Denver will pass now that they just got Quinn to see what McDaniels can do for his career. How far would he drop. I think Washington, Buffalo and Jax want Tebow which one of them will trade back into the first round or trade down from their earlier pick to get him. What about McCoy in all of this. I thikn this will be the most trade heavy ever because of the seperate days now, should be a fun draft.

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I think Quinn had more upside, but he fell to 22nd overall because he had questionable accuracy. Quinn was a better college QB, but I think Clausen will go higher in a better draft. Less upside but better accuracy.

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Quinn Scouting Report
Pro's: Strong Arm, Prototypical Size, Leader, Experience, Intangibles

Con's: Happy-Feet, Accuracy, Didn't Win "Big Games"

Clausen's scouting report:
Pro's: Decent size, Accuracy, Experience, Intangibles
Con's: Attitude, Didn't Win "Big Games", Upside?

Quinn doesn't have a strong arm at all. I'm not saying he has a matt leinart noodle arm but he doesnt have a rocket by any means.

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 06:41 PM
he has a "strong arm" but he doesn't have a great arm. Definitely adequate for the NFL and he does have good zip on his throws, but not in the same league as Derek Anderson or any of those guys who get by with rocket launchers.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I still think Quinn was overrated by a lot of people as a prospect. There's a reason he fell to 22.

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 06:53 PM
he has a "strong arm" but he doesn't have a great arm. Definitely adequate for the NFL and he does have good zip on his throws, but not in the same league as Derek Anderson or any of those guys who get by with rocket launchers.

His deep passes just feel real weak to me, I've seen him throw some some hard short passes but when I hear strong arm I think at least a good long ball and he's far from it IMO.

wogitalia
03-22-2010, 12:30 AM

Why do I read that and all that goes off in my head is a blinking light saying Manning. Perhaps moreso Eli than Peyton, but it seems very apt for both of them. Peyton is sort of proof that you can be an arrogant dick that chews out teammates as long as you have worked harder than them and they know it.

As for the comparison between Clausen and Quinn. I think Clausen has a better arm, accuracy being the main difference, though neither are "great" on this aspect, Clausen had great receivers, Quinn kind of had to check down a lot because his TE was one of his only options, unfortunately he seems to have taken that with him. Clausen has shown excellent improvement as a player in college, to be entirely honest that is probably the best indicator of how his intangibles stack up for me. Quinn had the more obivous, Sanchez like intangibles where he was media friendly and apparently well liked(how do we know if we aren't on the inside). Clausen is much more like the Manning's in how he comes off publicly, Peyton has worked incredibly hard to cultivate a media friendly image but remember him 4 or so years ago. I have no problem with that dedicated persona and Clausen reeks of it.

It's funny, a lot of people say intangibles are Clausen's worst characteristic but in many ways I see it as a strength.

I really liked Quinn as a prospect, far more than Russell that year or Bradford this year, I also like Clausen more than Bradford who I'm not very high on him at all.

Saints-Tigers
03-22-2010, 12:44 AM
Quinn had plenty of talent... don't forget Jeff Samardjsdaksdfjljs and Maurice Stovall...

That is the main separator to me though(accuracy), I actually liked Quinn as a prospect too, he was a little more athletic, but Clausen seems a lot more accurate.

WinslowBodden is right, he does lose a little on his deep throws, but he has such good ball placement on them that they are usually still in tight spots whereonly his guy can get it, or it goes out. That said, his velocity on his short-medium throws are excellent, IMO.

SenorGato
03-22-2010, 12:59 AM
It's funny, a lot of people say intangibles are Clausen's worst characteristic but in many ways I see it as a strength.

+1

Watching Clausen play is fun because he's a baller on the field. He's a leader, he directs the offense, his passes are usually money, he's got an awesome arm, and he's got a quick release. He reminds me of a slightly smaller version of Phillip Rivers. I like his game as a QB. I think he'd be alot better perceived if he was at another big school.

jnew76
03-22-2010, 04:03 AM
I just don't see Clausen as an elite prospect. Granted, I did not see Quinn as an elite prospect either. There are a lot of QB prospects in this draft I would like to grab in the 2-4th round area rather than taking Clausen in the top 20.

wicket
03-22-2010, 04:13 AM
Quinn had plenty of talent... don't forget Jeff Samardjsdaksdfjljs and Maurice Stovall...

That is the main separator to me though(accuracy), I actually liked Quinn as a prospect too, he was a little more athletic, but Clausen seems a lot more accurate.

WinslowBodden is right, he does lose a little on his deep throws, but he has such good ball placement on them that they are usually still in tight spots whereonly his guy can get it, or it goes out. That said, his velocity on his short-medium throws are excellent, IMO.

Lollzzzz

To boot, Quinn had a better OLine, although that defense was similarly pathetic as this years edition. Although it was just mediocre thoughout CFB that year and last seasons defense was possibly the worst in the whole of CFB

Scott Wright
03-22-2010, 04:43 AM
quinn has proved he's brutal, clausen could be decent.

How can you be proven brutal with just 12 career starts?

If the Packers had that kind of patience with Brett Favre he would've been run out of Green Bay on a rail after the way he performed early in his career.

Now I'm not saying that Quinn is going to justify my lofty opinion of him coming out and he may be a bust. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong and it won't be the last. My whole point all along is that he has never been given the opportunity to prove it one way or another. Hopefully he will finally get that chance in Denver.

Oh and for what it's worth Quinn was a better prospect than Clausen coming out.

Scott Wright
03-22-2010, 04:44 AM
I still don't get all the Sam Bradford hate on here. He's pretty much the same prospect as Matt Ryan.

Except Matt Ryan thrived in a pro-style offense.

And didn't have a surgically repaired throwing shoulder.

Scott Wright
03-22-2010, 04:48 AM
i hate how scouts make it sound like its sooooo hard to learn how to get under center and readjust your footwork.

seriously, if the qb is too ******** to make that adjustment, he had no chance of succeeding in the NFL to begin with.

It is soooo much more than that.

In addition to actually taking the snap and the footwork, which shouldn't be underestimated, you also have to keep your head downfield and read defenses while dropping back and executing the technical aspects. It's a huge adjustment.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-22-2010, 05:03 AM
The man has spoken.

Was going to post this before I saw Scott posted, but I guess I'll post it anyway.

Scott's 2007 top 10 overall rankings:

1. Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
2. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
3. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
4. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
5. JaMarcus Russell, QB, L.S.U.
6. LaRon Landry, S, L.S.U.
7. Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss
8. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
9. Alan Branch, DT, Michigan
10. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville

Scott's current top 10:
1. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
2. Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
3. Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
4. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State
5. Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
6. Joe Haden, CB, Florida
7. Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
8. Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
9. Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers
10. Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

I also remembered this interesting tid-bit I saw a while back.

It was published sometime during the 2005-2006 season, and it ranked the top 10 franchise quarterbacks. They were:

10. Byron Leftwich, Jaguars
9. Matt Schaub, Atlanta
8. Daunte Culpepper, Minnesota
7. Brady Quinn, Notre Dame
6. Michael Vick, Atlanta
5. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia
4. Eli Manning, Giants
3. Carson Palmer, Cincinnati
2. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh
1. Tom Brady, New England

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/10/27/gallery.10franchiseqbsfinal/content.1.html

Quinn's appearance in the list really surprised me.

Addict
03-22-2010, 05:12 AM
How can you be proven brutal with just 12 career starts?

If the Packers had that kind of patience with Brett Favre he would've been run out of Green Bay on a rail after the way he performed early in his career.

Now I'm not saying that Quinn is going to justify my lofty opinion of him coming out and he may be a bust. It wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong and it won't be the last. My whole point all along is that he has never been given the opportunity to prove it one way or another. Hopefully he will finally get that chance in Denver.

Oh and for what it's worth Quinn was a better prospect than Clausen coming out.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to still hold out hope Quinn might be decent, Scott, where were you when he was traded?

Except Matt Ryan thrived in a pro-style offense.

And didn't have a surgically repaired throwing shoulder.

Didn't Matt Ryan have a pretty huge arm too?

It is soooo much more than that.

In addition to actually taking the snap and the footwork, which shouldn't be underestimated, you also have to keep your head downfield and read defenses while dropping back and executing the technical aspects. It's a huge adjustment.

So how far along is he, judging from his Pro Day?

RWills
03-22-2010, 08:34 AM
His arm wasn't huge, but could make all the throws, accuracy was his flag going through the draft process, but it is between those ears why everyone loved him so much and the same goes for Sam Bradford and not for Jimmy Clausen

wicket
03-22-2010, 01:25 PM
His arm wasn't huge, but could make all the throws, accuracy was his flag going through the draft process, but it is between those ears why everyone loved him so much and the same goes for Sam Bradford and not for Jimmy Clausen

False, decision making was his primary flag, he was said to take to many risks, leading to his low completion % and his high number of turnovers.

That is about exactly the best part of both jimmies and sams game

IrishBrowns
03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I loved Quinn at Notre Dame, and Notre Dame was clearly more successful with Quinn at the helm, but Clausen is indeed the better prospect. The only cons you can say about Clausen are just made up cons that people like to use such as "attitude" although that may have been a problem in highschool, but thats the point of college..to actually mature, which he did greatly. and didn't win big games? he himself won several games on last minute drives and throws, and some of them coming when he was hurt. I don't get the upside thing either, people say he has always had great coaching blah blah blah, well yeah hes gonna continue to get great coaching and learn about the game. Another knock is because Quinn didn't happen to suceed YET, so they are comparing Clausen to Quinn. I've watched every game by both of these Quarterbacks and as much as I liked Quinn, Clausen is cleaaarly the better prospect. He can make any deep throw asked of him, or he could be great in a West Coast Offense type system because he is very intelligent and making great reads. I sincerely believe he will be the best quarterback in this draft...

FUNBUNCHER
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I loved Quinn at Notre Dame, and Notre Dame was clearly more successful with Quinn at the helm, but Clausen is indeed the better prospect. The only cons you can say about Clausen are just made up cons that people like to use such as "attitude" although that may have been a problem in highschool, but thats the point of college..to actually mature, which he did greatly. and didn't win big games? he himself won several games on last minute drives and throws, and some of them coming when he was hurt. I don't get the upside thing either, people say he has always had great coaching blah blah blah, well yeah hes gonna continue to get great coaching and learn about the game. Another knock is because Quinn didn't happen to suceed YET, so they are comparing Clausen to Quinn. I've watched every game by both of these Quarterbacks and as much as I liked Quinn, Clausen is cleaaarly the better prospect. He can make any deep throw asked of him, or he could be great in a West Coast Offense type system because he is very intelligent and making great reads. I sincerely believe he will be the best quarterback in this draft...

+1

I think when we look back at this draft, people will wonder how so many missed out on Clausen's ability to be a top flight NFL QB.

Mr.Regular
03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I agree. I still think Clausen> Bradford. I dont have access to the guys character and leadership abilities but my opinion is that its probably waaaay overblown. He developed each year in Notre Dame, he led all sorts of great 4th quarter drives, he loved his coaching staff and was by all accounts very coachable. His character may be more Philip Rivers then Ryan Leaf.

He takes care of the ball extremely well, he has the arm to make the throws, hes not afraid to throw downfield like Quinn is, his accuracy is very good unlike Quinn, and he put up some insane numbers all while never really having a good run game, a pretty bad OLine, and lots of his weapons were always hurt. I dont get the Clausen hate. If I was the Rams and I was forced to go QB Id go Clausen for sure.

RWills
03-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Still compare Clausen to a JP Losman or Rex Grossman

Addict
03-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Still compare Clausen to a JP Losman or Rex Grossman

although they have nothing in common. Good for you.

Mr.Regular
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
although they have nothing in common. Good for you.
Yeah I dont get that... care to explain?

03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Take away the four Super Bowls and there's no reason to believe Clausen's ceiling as a prospect can't be comparable to that of another former Notre Dame QB, Montana. That's very high praise and a general observation, of course, but there is a lot to be drawn between the two from a strict physical and intellectual POV, though Clausen would have a lot of maturing still to do to become the leader Montana was. Athletically I feel Clausen is often underrated and thus he would also be a great fit for the WCO. Hopefully, for his sake, he finds himself in a comparably good situation because the talent is definitely there to succeed.

JFLO
03-22-2010, 04:16 PM
I agree. I still think Clausen> Bradford. I dont have access to the guys character and leadership abilities but my opinion is that its probably waaaay overblown. He developed each year in Notre Dame, he led all sorts of great 4th quarter drives, he loved his coaching staff and was by all accounts very coachable. His character may be more Philip Rivers then Ryan Leaf.

He takes care of the ball extremely well, he has the arm to make the throws, hes not afraid to throw downfield like Quinn is, his accuracy is very good unlike Quinn, and he put up some insane numbers all while never really having a good run game, a pretty bad OLine, and lots of his weapons were always hurt. I dont get the Clausen hate. If I was the Rams and I was forced to go QB Id go Clausen for sure.

Just curious, but where do you rank Clausen among all prospects?

What prospects is he before and after?

Mr.Regular
03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Just curious, but where do you rank Clausen among all prospects?

What prospects is he before and after?
This is obviously a very rough list, but Id go
1-Suh
2-Berry
3-McCoy
as my top 3 for sure.

Then after that itd probably be Okung, Spiller, Haden, and Clausen jumbled up in some form with Bradford probably right after those guys. And following that Bulaga and Graham.....
I did that really quickly so dont look too much into it, but I just wanted a nice rounded out top 10.

EDIT: So basically I think Clausen is in that second group of prospects, right behind the 3 really elite guys. Of course, since he's a QB, his value instantly goes up. Thats why I would have no issue with the Rams picking him #1.

GoRavens
03-22-2010, 04:32 PM
Jimmy Clausen is a much better player than Brady Quinn.
The mechanics.
The arm strength.
The accuracy.
The feel for the position.
Everything.