PDA

View Full Version : Draft Guide Books

BIG7BEN
03-14-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey all,

Haven't been on this site for quite some time (4/27/2008 actually haha) but anyway I had a question that I figured you could help out with perhaps...is there any good draft guide books that are sold online that still come in an actual book format??? So many sites are just doing PDF files now, and while that is great to save money, I would prefer to have an actual book in my hands as well. Anyone know of any??? THANKS!!!

Btw, no longer a fan of Ben. He's a complete idiot, and a very rude to public fans here in PA now that i've spoken to him once. Just an old username hahaha.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey all,

Haven't been on this site for quite some time (4/27/2008 actually haha) but anyway I had a question that I figured you could help out with perhaps...is there any good draft guide books that are sold online that still come in an actual book format??? So many sites are just doing PDF files now, and while that is great to save money, I would prefer to have an actual book in my hands as well. Anyone know of any??? THANKS!!!

Btw, no longer a fan of Ben. He's a complete idiot, and a very rude to public fans here in PA now that i've spoken to him once. Just an old username hahaha.

I don't know about books, but I know about mags. They usually have questionable analysis, though. And are definitely not up to date.

Lindy's, Sporting News, ProFootball Weekly, and others publish different versions.

BaLLiN
03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
I really like Lindy's, i mark it up, but ultimately its just something to entertain me while i wait for the draft

BIG7BEN
03-15-2010, 10:56 AM
alright thank you guys. i'll have to look into it. getting my wisdom teeth out on April 23 (day of rounds 2 & 3) so i think it'd be easier to just lay in bed with an actually like print out of some type rather than having to run over to my desk every 5 minutes. thanks for the help though!!!

CashmoneyDrew
03-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Go with Lindy's. Avoid any guide that has Jonathan Crompton as it's number two QB. *cough*Sporting News*cough*

Handel
03-15-2010, 01:44 PM
I am ordering PFW's Book this year. I usually bought their mag but I want to see how it the book.

Halsey
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
If you're gonna be stuck in bed or something, I see the point in buying one, but otherwise those magazines are pretty obsolete. You can get more and better information off the internetz. Try to borrow someone's laptop before you settle for a magazine.

Iamcanadian
03-15-2010, 02:11 PM
Generally they are way off because most of the stuff they write is pre combine even if they add in a combine comment, but they are good toilet reading. Lindy's for me.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 02:59 PM
ProFootballWeekly has the best scouting/player analysis with Nolan Nawrocki. It's a must buy for me every year and an interesting read even if I don't agree with all of it. PFW's the cream of the crop for draft magazines and I have experience with almost all of them over the years. The last four years or so TheSportingNews has been by far the worst and ESPN (with Kiper/McShay) is the only other I'd put near PFW.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2010, 03:18 PM
ProFootballWeekly has the best scouting/player analysis with Nolan Nawrocki. It's a must buy for me every year and an interesting read even if I don't agree with all of it. PFW's the cream of the crop for draft magazines and I have experience with almost all of them over the years. The last four years or so TheSportingNews has been by far the worst and ESPN (with Kiper/McShay) is the only other I'd put near PFW.

I agree that PFW is the most in-depth. The Sporting News isn't good, but it gets a bad rep for doing unpopular analysis. They had Kevin Kolb as a first-round talent and Brady Quinn as a third-rounder, which made them a laughingstock, then it turned out they were just smarter than the other analysts.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree that PFW is the most in-depth. The Sporting News isn't good, but it gets a bad rep for doing unpopular analysis. They had Kevin Kolb as a first-round talent and Brady Quinn as a third-rounder, which made them a laughingstock, then it turned out they were just smarter than the other analysts.

They also had Aundrae Allison a Top 15 pick. Read some of their recent (2010 or 2009) stuff, it blows my mind that there's actually a person writing these things.

Matthew Jones
03-15-2010, 03:27 PM
They also had Aundrae Allison a Top 15 pick. Read some of their recent (2010 or 2009) stuff, it blows my mind that there's actually a person writing these things.

Haha. I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the magazine store in my town. I haven't gotten a Sporting News guide since 2005 or so.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Haha. I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the magazine store in my town. I haven't gotten a Sporting News guide since 2005 or so.

The used to be good. I had the 2004 & 2005 magazines and they were great. Very informative with good structure/design. I would suggest not picking one up, you seriously won't know what kind of person has to be writing it....

BJJ3rd
03-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Hey this is BIG7BEN...decided to hand over that account to my brother haha...

but yeah anyway, thanks for all the help guys...so it sounds to me like you're saying this Lindy's and PFW are the top 2???

CashmoneyDrew
03-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey this is BIG7BEN...decided to hand over that account to my brother haha...

but yeah anyway, thanks for all the help guys...so it sounds to me like you're saying this Lindy's and PFW are the top 2???

Yeah. ESPN's was good but they stopped making it for whatever reason.

DoughBoy
03-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Go with Lindy's. Avoid any guide that has Jonathan Crompton as it's number two QB. *cough*Sporting News*cough*

Yeah Cromp should def be number 1.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I'll come out a give a plug for my buddy Nolan Nawrocki's stuff through Pro Football Weekly. Either the magazine or the book. Nolan knows his stuff and does a great job.

bored of education
03-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Who needs books when you have the interwebz and www.draftcountdown.com

Scott, I deserve a hat for that one! :D

scpanther22
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
yeah I like Lindy's...

adamprez2003
03-15-2010, 09:59 PM
PFW and its not even close. I miss Joel Buschbaum however. The first and in my mind still greatest

BJJ3rd
03-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Just bought the PFW Preview & Guide Combo and then Lindy's Guide as well. :D haha so i guess i'll soon find out which i prefer for years in the future. thanks again for everyone's help!!

Anyone know when I should be expecting these in the mail? I think i saw lindy's came out March 9.

JRTPlaya21
03-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Smh my dad got a USA Today mag.