PDA

View Full Version : 3/15 - Mock Draft Updated!

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 01:22 AM
I just posted a new mock draft! You can link to the latest edition via the main page:

2010 Mock Draft - v.7.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions just like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

TACKLE
03-15-2010, 01:26 AM
I love when there's a new unexpected mock. Makes my day.

I really like Kyle Wilson to the Ravens. If he's there he is going to be very hard to pass up.

Can't wait to see D-Unit's reaction to Taylor Mays going to the Cowboys.

Scotty D
03-15-2010, 01:34 AM
Surprises were Bulaga, JPP, Dunlap, Pouncey for me. Good read and A+ on the Suh pick!

Hines
03-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Made me sad that McClain, Haden, and even Anthony Davis went before the Steelers. I would be happy with Spiller, though. I could see Pouncey at 18 as well.

CashmoneyDrew
03-15-2010, 01:36 AM
I really hope we pass on the Dunlap trap. We don't need another type of Pacman draft pick. Potential be damned, I'd much rather have Weatherspoon or Everson Griffen if we chose to go DE in this scenario.

Me Likey Rookies
03-15-2010, 01:39 AM
first off, if Brian Price falls to the 2nd, he will be the steal of the draft... hell i would want him even if we got McCoy!

now for the Bucs picks, McCoy is great... Thomas is a slight reach at 35 but I would be ok with it... Chad Jones is a great player but we have a bigger need at CB and it looks like we will sign a SS soon in FA, so id rather take a Perrish Cox here

Rosebud
03-15-2010, 01:42 AM
Man, I'll be pissed if we don't draft a single DT in the first two rounds. Canty was good when healthy and Alford looked good, but he's coming off knee surgery and we have no one else of note on the roster, Cofield's a tolerable 4th DT, but he's really mediocre. With how far you've got dan williams and price falling I can only pray that we trade down, grab DW in round one and then move up in the second to secure Price.

On the OL we need a center but outside of that we're solid. Beatty should be taking over at LT, Whimper can beat out McKenzie at RT, Diehl and Snee are two stud Guards who have a lot left in the tank which leaves just C where O'hara is washed up, although I could see Snee or Seubert, who's not quite done yet, taking that spot.

bearfan
03-15-2010, 01:42 AM
I really like the Colt McCoy to the Seahawks, for some reason that is something that I have felt this whole offseason that would be a good place for him.

Brown Leader
03-15-2010, 01:45 AM
Berry would be the ideal pick but I've a hard time believing KC would pass him. In the 2nd-can't argue against McCourty but still I'd rather a WR. TB taking Thomas I don't see-they need a #1 to step right in and he's a project. I want Thomas at #38 but will settle for D.Williams.

V.I.P
03-15-2010, 01:49 AM
first off, if Brian Price falls to the 2nd, he will be the steal of the draft... hell i would want him even if we got McCoy!

now for the Bucs picks, McCoy is great... Thomas is a slight reach at 35 but I would be ok with it... Chad Jones is a great player but we have a bigger need at CB and it looks like we will sign a SS soon in FA, so id rather take a Perrish Cox here
What he said.

jriles0522
03-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Hey Scott, would love to hear your analysis regarding the Browns and the QBs in this year's draft, after what's happened last few days.

Clayton was on ESPN explaining how we are looking for Bradford/Clausen in Rd 1.

Any initial thoughts?

RaiderNation
03-15-2010, 01:59 AM
Hey Scott, I really doubt Trent Williams will be the pick. Reports were that we didnt even have a raiders scout at there pro day last week so I doubt we are interested in him

thetedginnshow
03-15-2010, 02:03 AM
Haha! That's where I had Trent Williams, Derrick Morgan, and Taylor Mays going as well! (The others we had the same I assume a lot of drafts have)

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39387

One thing though is that the 49ers put a decent deal of weight on the combine so I don't really think someone like Haden, who had a questionable 40, would be a selection for them.

It's interesting that you call Price a NT but a lot of Vikings fans when they criticize mock drafts don't like him going to them because they view him as a UT.

I find it interesting though that you have Colt McCoy going that high when he's yet to do anything. I could see the Seahawks being able to get him in the third.

Also, after his 40 and his generally poor off-season so far, why is LaFell being drafted so high?

And I know this is supposed to be a deep Safety class, but do you really see six going in the first two rounds? That seems like an awful lot for the position.

As for our picks, I can't complain. I'm a fan of Alualu's.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2010, 02:04 AM
- I was always able to buy that Kansas City would have Bulaga rated as a close second to Okung and would look his way were the latter already off the board. They would have to really like Bulaga to take him in that scenario.

- It would be interesting to see if Oakland drafts Williams, especially since they were notably absent from the Oklahoma Pro Day.

- I'm not sold that the Jags would go after JPP after bringing Kampman on board. Granted, taking a linebacker would be a small reach there, but maybe Weatherspoon gets big consideration there.

- Morgan to the Seahawks makes perfect sense unless Carroll is indeed bringing the 34 front to Seattle.

Other than that, everything looks great. Oh, and if Oakland got Brian Price in the 2nd round, I would be really happy. I understand why he's not very high on some guys' lists, but I love the kid.

Gridiron
03-15-2010, 02:06 AM
I like it for the Jets but there's no chance they pass on Dan Williams at 29.

RaiderNation
03-15-2010, 02:11 AM
Can Brian Price play NT in a 4-3? I thought he was more of a UT

NIN1984
03-15-2010, 02:13 AM
i like both picks for Oakland, will they happen? probably not. I honestly can't see Al passing on Bruce Campbell, he just can't help himself.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-15-2010, 02:22 AM
Can Brian Price play NT in a 4-3? I thought he was more of a UT

Price is another Sedrick Ellis. A guy who's got a really strong base and a really thick upper body who generated pressure in college by shoving guys out of the way and pursuing. I think Ellis used his hands a lot better, but Price has that kind of potential (in my estimation, anyway). Obviously Price isn't a Pat Williams-style 4-3 NT, but I think most feel that's going to be his best fit in the NFL.

wicket
03-15-2010, 02:32 AM
Id prefer price over hughes with the saints first rounder and this is coming from someone with a serious hughes mancrush but the guy should just play 3-4 OLB in the pros. Not that happy about sean lee either purely based on value.
Not bad saints picks but they dont blow my mind :(

ToldLikeItIs
03-15-2010, 02:38 AM
Do it Bryan. Solid Mock, I think Dunlap's too high.

Cicero
03-15-2010, 02:49 AM
I really like the Colt McCoy to the Seahawks, for some reason that is something that I have felt this whole offseason that would be a good place for him.

I do not like.

With the way things shaped up, the first round is fine by me though.

nofalcons10
03-15-2010, 03:07 AM
first saints pick that i've ever agreed with this year.

great job. i love the hughes pick.

rojones82
03-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Much better in regards to the Bengals. I cant say Ive seen much of Pouncey other than Mayock starting to give him some love on NFL Network (so cant be a bad thing) but yeh him at OG look like a good pick, and i agree totally with the other 2 alternatives in Mays & Williams.

About time people got off of us drafting Gresham because it wont happen.

As for the 2nd round pick i disagree with the over rated Williams part as he played very well for us last season before his injury, i think he even suprised the hopeful Bengal fans by his play but none the less adding a potential starter at the position is another sound pick.

Mateo
03-15-2010, 05:50 AM
don't u think these poor indians(*******) are sufferring from inferiority complex. frustrated minds really afraid of Islam...
Look at the face of this soldier LOLz, a pet dog of So-called indian liberalism..

AkiliSmith
03-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Definitely better than Gresham to the Bengals but kind of a weird pick. They have zero need for a center but could use an upgrade at left guard for sure. I don't think Pouncey is worth that high of a pick though. It's possible I guess with what's available.

As far as your analysis there is no way they take Gresham or Dan Williams. Gresham doesn't fit the offense and Peko is a beast at NT already. Mays is possible too but I don't like him.

Wright is fine in round 2 with what's left.

Addict
03-15-2010, 06:00 AM
Since I'm hoping the Lions give themselves a reason to draft top CB next season I'm not all crazy about our second rounder... but both Lions picks make perfect sense for us.

Might see them go with an LT if someone falls though.

eagles6606
03-15-2010, 06:14 AM
Good draft Scott, but bad second round Eagles pick. I love Daryl Wahsington, but WLB is not a need. The already have Akeem Jordan and Omar Gaither. What the team needs is a SLB. In that situation Dwyer or a CB would be a better pick.

Halsey
03-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Falcon's pick makes sense and so does the analysis, including Pouncey as a darkhorse candidate.

UK Patriot
03-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Very happy with all 4 picks for the Pats and especially happy we've not taken Tebow in your mock.

princefielder28
03-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Brandon Graham + Kareem Jackson = greatness

wonderbredd24
03-15-2010, 07:36 AM
I love the Browns draft.

DiG
03-15-2010, 07:46 AM
i think its become fairly obvious that saffold has passed vlad on the majority of boards. especially in a zbs like shanahans, he is a much better fit. in a zbs, vlad projects mostly at guard and has very little tackle potential whereas saffold has a much higher ceiling. im still holding on hope for okung in the first. i think we would be making a serious mistake to reach on clausen and pass on a franchise tackle given our offensive situation.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 08:06 AM
Glad to have you aboard the Sam Bradford train, was wondering when some of the higher-profile guys like Kiper & yourself would come around. The Combine likely was necessary, as Bradford erased some doubts of a fragile frame (at 236), interviewed well, and we got a feel for how healthy his shoulder is (85% as of February 27th). Rebuilding a franchise takes a common goal to win and the highest (potential) reward is going to come at Quarterback. Now, I know you may not believe he's a sure-fire franchise passer, but it's good to see you acknowledge the interest he'll garner though you have Clausen ahead on your board.

Recently, responding to former Browns/Ravens scot Daniel Jeremiah, Adam Schefter posted on his twitter that he keeps reading Clausen in the Top 10, but doesn't know of any execs/coaches that have him graded that highly. Basically what I'm thinking is Russell Okung goes 4th to Washington, who has been unable to find their replacement at LT through Free Agency. If Bradford were there I think they take the shot, but with Clausen and strong Left Tackle prospect available, I think they go to Jason Campbell for the time being (maybe put themselves in the Tebow sweepstakes or look at a potential guy like John Skelton/Jarrett Brown in the 4th.)

I think you're a bit mixed up on Roy Williams' role for Cincinnati. When he made four Pro Bowls as a reward for being one of the league's dirtiest in-the-box Safeties I'd agree he was overrated due to a lack of range in coverage & average agility. These days, he's living on one-year contracts from the castaway-seeking Bengals. He was an invaluable part of the defense a year ago, it had mostly to do with the leadership/mentor role he took on and when on the field he added a physical dimension in the secondary against the run and pass. He played well for the Bengals last year before getting hurt and without a replacement on the roster it's a great thing to have Roy back for that leadership & intimidation when he's on the field. That all said, I would think Mike Zimmer would chew Mike Brown out if he were to pass on Taylor Mays. Just his size and physical ability will have Zimmer drooling thinking about the possibilities in his physical, blitzing defense. Having Roy there ensures us that Mays wouldn't have to come in right away and play, he'd be given a chance to learn & improve for a year with sparse playing time on defense and maybe special teams.

Gresham at 44 makes me want to cry for the guy. Had he played this season we might be talking about a Top 10-15 value and one of the most productive & polished receiving Tight Ends in years. I think he's a God-sent for any team with redzone problems and the thought of him with Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker scares the hell out of me. Though I admit he may fall out of the first, I don't expect it by any means. Personally I think the Patriots are a good destination, but they may have to take him at 22 to get him. Baltimore at 25 & Arizona at 26 are a couple teams that I think would be very tempted to take Jermaine if he fell that far. Then again, Gresham is 14th on my board and has been a favorite of mine since his freshman season so I might hold a little internal bias/optimism for draft day. I'd love to have him as a Bengal, he could do wonders for that offense and make a larger impact than Antonio Bryant next year (IMO).

prock
03-15-2010, 08:47 AM
that is pretty ideal for minnesota.

irishbucsfan
03-15-2010, 08:55 AM
I was surprised to see Philly passing on Mays, I'd have thought they'd love another Dawkins-like player.

Regarding the Bucs' draft, I'd be incredibly happy if it turned out like that, although it's more likely we go corner at 2b, considering we're looking at a couple safeties in FA and Piscitelli hasn't been thrown to the curb yet completely. I think they want to see how he looks with a good D-line in front of him. Although that won't cure his propensity to take horrendous angles when tackling.

SloppyJoe
03-15-2010, 09:01 AM
GERALD MCCOY, DEMARYIUS THOMAS and CHAD JONES

i really like it

Splat
03-15-2010, 09:08 AM
My goodness atleast give the Chiefs Okung if it's going to be a OT.:(

bitonti
03-15-2010, 09:12 AM
scott i like the mock but all those words to explain the sam bradford pick at 1 means maybe you dont really believe in it... neither do I.

The Rams would be brain dead to take a guy who hasn't thrown in 6 months, give him 50 million dollars guaranteed based on 1 private workout.

if this were Oakland or Cinci at 1 I could see the brain dead theory but the Rams have done nothing but take the safe pick for the last few years. and they dont have a new owner. The whole thing makes no sense. Ya know a pick is terrible when the teams afterward jump for joy.

bitonti
03-15-2010, 09:13 AM
I was surprised to see Philly passing on Mays, I'd have thought they'd love another Dawkins-like player.

the Eagles can't take a safety in round 1 to replace Dawks... it would be like taking a defensive end Mamula to replace reggie white... the expectations would be too high.

roscoesdad27
03-15-2010, 09:22 AM
i would be very happy with this ravens draft because you filled our top 2 needs with the first 2 picks...but i would be even happier with j. gresham/ b. ghee becasue they fit our systems much better.

scar988
03-15-2010, 09:27 AM
good Falcosn pick. but CB isn't even an option yet. Chris Houston wasn't good at all for us and wasn't the LCB starter. our 2 starters after we signed Houston were Robinson and Owens... so CB is not a need in Atlanta. we traded away our 5th best CB when we got rid of houston.

scottyboy
03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
for once, I read the whole mock, and not just the Giants pick, and I really enjoyed it Scott. Great mock all around, and I must say, they all pretty much made sense to me. Well done. Love Davis STILL going top 10 (and not this monumental drop people here are panicing about). McClain to the Giants make me happy, not sure about the 2nd rounder. I guess the DT value wasn't there, and I could live with it.

twizbuck
03-15-2010, 09:29 AM
Sorry, but I'm not a fan. We have our young Center already, and we can do better than picking up a new Guard in the first. As you said in your mock, Mays is still on the board. Heck I wouldn't mind seeing us go D-line before getting Pouncey. Graham, Odrick, Price, maybe even Williams. Just something other than a future Guard for us (or Gresham).

Personally not a Major Wright fan, either. We need two new starting safeties for sure, but I'd rather see us get Rashad Jones there. I'd like him as a better fit. Or guys like Alualu, Houston, Misi (big fan of his) or even Gronkowski with him still on the board there.

I'm a fan of your new Steelers first round pick though, spent awhile arguing with friends awhile back that Spiller would make a lot of sense there.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 09:35 AM
scott i like the mock but all those words to explain the sam bradford pick at 1 means maybe you dont really believe in it... neither do I.

The Rams would be brain dead to take a guy who hasn't thrown in 6 months, give him 50 million dollars guaranteed based on 1 private workout.

if this were Oakland or Cinci at 1 I could see the brain dead theory but the Rams have done nothing but take the safe pick for the last few years. and they dont have a new owner. The whole thing makes no sense. Ya know a pick is terrible when the teams afterward jump for joy.

Because Mario Williams/Reggie Bush really worked out that way....

Bradford will be the #1 pick and you don't have to like it. I wasn't a big fan of the Raiders taking Russell at #1 Overall, but I acknowledged that it would happen. I wasn't a fan of Jake Long at #1 because I thought Matt Ryan could have done more for the franchise, once again (wouldn't you know it!) my opinion was not taken into consideration by the team drafting first. If the Rams feel Sam Bradford is a Franchise QB, which I think they do, they'll take him and have no reservations in doing so. The potential reward that comes along with Sam is much greater than Suh/McCoy in terms of wins. It's the obvious pick to me, they're still working at it (wisely). Don't assume just because you don't think it can/should happen that it won't, the draft just never works that way for anybody.

CJSchneider
03-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Good Saints picks. I may disagree on the names, but the positional needs we have on defense can not be denied. I too wish we would have gone with Price in the first, but Hughes is no slouch of a pick by far.

bitonti
03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Because Mario Williams/Reggie Bush really worked out that way....

Bradford will be the #1 pick and you don't have to like it. I wasn't a big fan of the Raiders taking Russell at #1 Overall, but I acknowledged that it would happen. I wasn't a fan of Jake Long at #1 because I thought Matt Ryan could have done more for the franchise, once again (wouldn't you know it!) my opinion was not taken into consideration by the team drafting first. If the Rams feel Sam Bradford is a Franchise QB, which I think they do, they'll take him and have no reservations in doing so. The potential reward that comes along with Sam is much greater than Suh/McCoy in terms of wins. It's the obvious pick to me, they're still working at it (wisely). Don't assume just because you don't think it can/should happen that it won't, the draft just never works that way for anybody.

your post and scott's explanation prove my point, more words = less certainty

im not saying it's impossible, just saying that all the words needed to explain this pick proves how little sense it makes.

Suh goes #1 is an easy explanation. He's the best. The rams need good players. period.

Bradford goes #1 is a rough explanation talking about the theoretical value of franchise QBs, the time it buys the current staff, and how even tho he's moved his pro day, he's really healthy now, and dr james andrews and blah blah blah.

I trust simple explanations.

Halsey
03-15-2010, 10:15 AM
The Rams have been picking 'safe' by passing on potential franchise QBs for years now. That's why they're picking #1 this year.

scottyboy
03-15-2010, 10:18 AM

im not saying it's impossible, just saying that all the words needed to explain this pick proves how little sense it makes.

Suh goes #1 is an easy explanation. He's the best. The rams need good players. period.

Bradford goes #1 is a rough explanation talking about the theoretical value of franchise QBs, the time it buys the current staff, and how even tho he's moved his pro day, he's really healthy now, and dr james andrews and blah blah blah.

but there's also needs. a star DT like Suh would help a fringe team improve moreso than the freakin' rams. THey NEED a franchise QB. I agree with you, SUh's the best player, but we all know the draft isn't always taking the best player. it makes tons of sense for the rams to draft a QB, tons. you can get by with mediocrity at DT at times in this league, but rarely can you actually win and go far with mediocrity at qb

akvikefan89
03-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Stellar Vikings draft.

keylime_5
03-15-2010, 10:28 AM
that is basically the dream scenario for cleveland.

most people have benn and thomas going ahead of tate, interesting.

redbills
03-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Do we really need to take another chance on a lazy OT (Peters, M.Williams)?
Tebow :shootsfaceoff:

FlyingElvis
03-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Odrick / Gresham / Sapp / Gilyard for New England would be solid.

However, I've been convinced that Sapp is soft, easily blocked and rarely makes any big hits. As much as I keep saying I think Odrick will be a main target of the Pats @ 22, I would still rather go for a proven pass rusher like Graham or Hughes.

Hoping that Tully Banta-Cain can show Sapp how to be a fierce & determined pass rushing OLB is not an appealing way to head into the season for me.

thebow305
03-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Love Sergio Kindle to the Phins, but I HATE LaFell. We need a reciever that can CATCH the ball.

RWills
03-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I see Jax going for Earl Thomas, in a pass heavy division, need a major upgrade at FS, awesome ballhawk.

I've been calling Tebow to Buffalo in round 2 for 3 weeks now, makes to much sense, football and marketing wise.

I've read somewhere, forget where that Pouncey could go to Denver at 11

I actually expect the Pats to pass on Graham, for Odrick. Mark this down though...Dexter McCluster will be a Patriot.

WWAAAYYY to low for Price and Williams. DT's are overvalued like QB's. Look how high Brace went last year. Williams will be a top 16 pick, Price will be round 1 and expect Linval Joseph and Cam Thomas high in round 2.

bitonti
03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
by the way i love bulaga over okung, even if it doesn't actually happen that way. Okung is a better physical prospect but Bulaga has better film.

ThePudge
03-15-2010, 11:54 AM

I could write you a novel on any of the possible picks, including Dez Bryant. Now, that doesn't make them any more or less acccurate.

To keep it short for you... Bradford goes #1. He's the best QB. The Rams have needed a QB before and that is the position that generates wins.

JFLO
03-15-2010, 11:55 AM
I would love for Dan Williams to fall to 30 as much as I don't see it happening.

georgiafan
03-15-2010, 12:14 PM
good Falcosn pick. but CB isn't even an option yet. Chris Houston wasn't good at all for us and wasn't the LCB starter. our 2 starters after we signed Houston were Robinson and Owens... so CB is not a need in Atlanta. we traded away our 5th best CB when we got rid of houston.

Yeah losing Houston doesnt hurt at all he was awful. I like the pick of Weatherspoon and fills a need and should be a "safe" pick.

kf213003
03-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey Scott,

What are the chances that Thad Gibson goes in the 2nd round? I heard he blew a lot of people away with his athleticism at the combine (despite the fact that his 40 times wernt that special). What round do you expect he will fall to?

Bengals78
03-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Scott, in my four years here that is my least favorite Bengals mock so far.
I detest the Pouncy pick. Detest it.

We do not need another in the box S. And we could even grab one much later if we do. Hell Mays in the first would be better than Wright in the 2nd.

Mays then John Jerry would at least give me a OG we will need since negotiations with Bobbie Williams have stalled.

CC.SD
03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
What ho, a fine mock this is. Nice to see Matthews but it does pain me to see Taylor Mays all the way down at 27. I'm not so sure that will happen.

DeathbyStat
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Odrick / Gresham / Sapp / Gilyard for New England would be solid.

However, I've been convinced that Sapp is soft, easily blocked and rarely makes any big hits. As much as I keep saying I think Odrick will be a main target of the Pats @ 22, I would still rather go for a proven pass rusher like Graham or Hughes.

Hoping that Tully Banta-Cain can show Sapp how to be a fierce & determined pass rushing OLB is not an appealing way to head into the season for me.

Wow that would be a great draft for the pats...hope it doesn't happen

Rosebud
03-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Bradford will probably be the first pick, but I think Suh helps them more. They'll be bad enough to get a franchise QB next year, but they won't be able to get a force like Suh next year. I also have to think that while the offense is shaping up for a QB to step in with Spags they should focus on giving him the guys to have dominant D for that QB. I get that they like Bradford but I don't think he's the best prospect at his position in years the way suh is.

Job
03-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Bradford will probably be the first pick, but I think Suh helps them more. They'll be bad enough to get a franchise QB next year, but they won't be able to get a force like Suh next year. I also have to think that while the offense is shaping up for a QB to step in with Spags they should focus on giving him the guys to have dominant D for that QB. I get that they like Bradford but I don't think he's the best prospect at his position in years the way suh is.

With only four wins this year, the Kansas City Chiefs at pick #5, had they needed/wanted a QB, could possibly have been out of the running for a potential franchise QB, with both Clausen and Bradford a fair possibily to go top 4. It doesn't strike me as impossible at all to see the Rams winning at least four games (or even up to 6-7 considering their division) and missing on whoever are the top QBs next year. You can't postpone the pick of a potential franchise QB to the following year. Especially if you aren't a loser and think you can win some games. Who knows? It might be their ONLY chance to get one in the next 5-10 years.

Dam8610
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
I just posted a new mock draft! You can link to the latest edition via the main page:

2010 Mock Draft - v.7.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions just like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

I can't see the Colts leaving Jerry Hughes on the board to draft Charles Brown. I think the need pick is Brown, but the BPA of the two is Hughes, and Polian quite often says something to the effect of never leave a passer or pass rusher on the board. If they were to go that route though, I think they'd almost undoubtedly pick up a DE or S in round 2, both positions are deep in this draft and the Colts have a need at both with no depth to speak of behind Freeney and Mathis and a very thin group at S when you consider the injury risk of Bob Sanders.

Abaddon
03-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Probably your best, and most merciful, Raider draft since I've been following you.

I wouldn't read too much into Oakland's no-show at the OK pro day. Al likely thinks that's a clever diversionary tactic.

MURPHMAN
03-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Another Southern Cal WR to the Panthers?

Ugh. Fox/Hurney have gotten limited production out of every WR they have drafted since day one. (In case anybody tries to call me out, Steve Smith was drafted the year before Fox arrived).

Diehard
03-15-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm not sold on Bryant going to the Broncos. Sure, talent-wise he's good value at 11, but given the whole situation with Brandon Marshall I can see the team being very careful about the kind of personalities they bring into the mix.

gpngc
03-15-2010, 03:21 PM
-I don't see the Chiefs going OL at #5. I think they'll look to trade down (possibly swap with Cleveland), but the offense was much improved down the stretch while the defense needs an infusion of talent. Albert at LT was good enough to help JC get a million yards so I think they'll go Berry/Thomas or a LB in round one then add a couple of interior linemen later in the draft.

-I don't see the Texans passing on Ryan Matthews at #20. They've already been linked to him and it's unlikely that any team above them would pull the trigger. I think that pick is a perfect match.

CC.SD
03-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Glad to see Okung finally dropping, he is still overrated. Scott, your wording still calls him the best OT in the draft despite Bulaga's surge.

I also can dig Cam Thomas at the end of the 2nd.

TonyGfortheTD
03-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Bulaga is a worse pick than Okung, sigh

That entire Chiefs mock is very ugh

underscore
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
No Navorro Bowman in the first two rounds?

RealityCheck
03-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Mays at #27? No Scott, you didn't.

But you made my day with that swaggerlicious Pats draft.

Job
03-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Bulaga is a worse pick than Okung, sigh

That entire Chiefs mock is very ugh

You're so convincing.

PhysicalwithanF
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Scott,

For the 49ers..i dont mind the Haden pick. CB is definately a need and it seems like some of Hadens poor performance at the combine was due to some technique issues which will probably be ironed out by the Florida Pro Day.
However, the Niners have to..i mean HAVE to come out of the first two rounds with a tackle. Its looking more and more like big 4 tackles may be off the board by then which the new mock reflects..but would really be the worst case scenario for SF IMO.
If the board fell like that I would rather take SPiller in the first and then look at some OTs in the second like Brown, Fox, etc. McCloughan doesnt like taking Guards high in the draft and although iam a huge Iupati fan..that may be a bit high for him. Then again...I LOVE Best in the second..so im torn...all i know is..we need a Right Tackle that can start ASAP.

J-Mike88
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Brandon Graham to the Packers would give them the best bookend pass rushing OLB's in the NFC, on par with the Steelers in the AFC, but not quite to that level.

Still, it would make the CB's and S's coverage look a lot better fast with 2 relentless, productive beasts smothering and scaring QB's like that game-in, game-out.

Timbathia
03-15-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm not sold on Bryant going to the Broncos. Sure, talent-wise he's good value at 11, but given the whole situation with Brandon Marshall I can see the team being very careful about the kind of personalities they bring into the mix.

Agree. Everyone keeps thinking that Bryant replacing Marshall is such a neat fit, but forget about the fact he is everything that McDaniels doesnt like in a player.

stephenson86
03-15-2010, 05:12 PM
so sick of the dunlap pick

timewaster
03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Tyson Alualu would be amazing in Green and White

Hope your right about the pick.

Grizzlegom
03-15-2010, 05:36 PM
For the Phins, getting sick of seeing Kindle but the pick makes a ton of sense so I don't have any issue with it. I'm ok with LaFell but I'd much rather go with a FS like Nate Allen there as we have more competent WRs on the roster than FS (scary thought considering how weak our WRs are...). If we passed on Gresham there, I would NOT be a very happy camper however as I think he's a legit possibility at 12.

thebow305
03-15-2010, 06:10 PM
For the Phins, getting sick of seeing Kindle but the pick makes a ton of sense so I don't have any issue with it. I'm ok with LaFell but I'd much rather go with a FS like Nate Allen there as we have more competent WRs on the roster than FS (scary thought considering how weak our WRs are...). If we passed on Gresham there, I would NOT be a very happy camper however as I think he's a legit possibility at 12.

I couldn't agree more. I saw that and it made me ill thinking about it. If we took LaFell over Gresham after having JG fall THAT far, I would be PISSED!!

TonyGfortheTD
03-15-2010, 06:16 PM
You're so convincing.

More convincing than trying to force the fact that Pioli and Ferentz connection means they will certainly take Bulaga speculation that Mayock threw out. Mayock was simply guessing about it and others are taking it and running with it.

If that's Piolis reasoning if that pick is actually made, he needs to be fired. Deciding to go with Bulaga over Okung in a ZBS would be more baffling than making Tyson Jackson the #3 overall pick.

Shane P. Hallam
03-15-2010, 06:25 PM
More convincing than trying to force the fact that Pioli and Ferentz connection means they will certainly take Bulaga speculation that Mayock threw out. Mayock was simply guessing about it and others are taking it and running with it.

If that's Piolis reasoning if that pick is actually made, he needs to be fired. Deciding to go with Bulaga over Okung in a ZBS would be more baffling than making Tyson Jackson the #3 overall pick.

It isn't forcing, just saying that they know each other well, and if Ferentz talks up Bulaga (who fits the ZBS just fine by the way,) it could happen.

TonyGfortheTD
03-15-2010, 06:33 PM
and Pioli should be walked out the door right after the draft if that happens

Addict
03-15-2010, 06:36 PM

no. He really wouldn't.

CC.SD
03-15-2010, 06:54 PM

I can think of a KC fan or two who might agree with you. I do like Buluga quite a bit, but in a perfect world he's a beast RT.

Splat
03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I'm more then fine with the Chiefs taking a OT but I feel the only OT worth the 5th pick in the draft is Okang, if he is gone I hope to land Berry or trade down.

TheMatriculator
03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
I can think of a KC fan or two who might agree with you. I do like Buluga quite a bit, but in a perfect world he's a beast RT.

Well, I agree but would you take a RT at number 5 overall. It's a rhetorical question, no one would.

Let me take a crack at the assumption that the Chiefs O-line is terrible because of all the sacks they gave up. As Scott said in his mock, "Kansas City ranked among the worst in the league when it comes to sacks allowed." I believe this is a case where the season long statistics can be misleading. They gave up 45 sacks (Yikes!!!) but 37 of them came in the first 10 games. Only 8 sacks in the last 6 games, about the same average per game (1.3 per game) as the Saints (1.25 per game) gave up over the course of the season.

Now I'm not saying the Chiefs O-line doesn't need help but its not so bad they need to address it in the first round given their other problems (a defense that was 31st against the run and 30th against the pass). Remember this is the same O-line that sprang Jamal Charles for 1,120 yards on 190 carries. In fact, in the final eight games, only Tennessee's Chris Johnson ran for more yards (1,047) and racked up more offensive yards (1,388) than Charles (968; 1,126). Maybe this guy Haley can coach offense and maybe these linemen can block.

I have one more number to throw at you...16. The Chiefs defense gave up 16 passing plays of 40 yards or more. I don't think they pass up Eric Berry.

Addict
03-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Well, I agree but would you take a RT at number 5 overall. It's a rhetorical question, no one would.

Let me take a crack at the assumption that the Chiefs O-line is terrible because of all the sacks they gave up. As Scott said in his mock, "Kansas City ranked among the worst in the league when it comes to sacks allowed." I believe this is a case where the season long statistics can be misleading. They gave up 45 sacks (Yikes!!!) but 37 of them came in the first 10 games. Only 8 sacks in the last 6 games, about the same average per game (1.3 per game) as the Saints (1.25 per game) gave up over the course of the season.

Now I'm not saying the Chiefs O-line doesn't need help but its not so bad they need to address it in the first round given their other problems (a defense that was 31st against the run and 30th against the pass). Remember this is the same O-line that sprang Jamal Charles for 1,120 yards on 190 carries. In fact, in the final eight games, only Tennessee's Chris Johnson ran for more yards (1,047) and racked up more offensive yards (1,388) than Charles (968; 1,126). Maybe this guy Haley can coach offense and maybe these linemen can block.

I have one more number to throw at you...16. The Chiefs defense gave up 16 passing plays of 40 yards or more. I don't think they pass up Eric Berry.

I said a lot of mean things here about that kind of phrase. I won't let them stand.

CC.SD
03-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Well if Buluga really was drafted at 5 it would definitely be with the intention to play him at LT. He could probably do it but again, not ideal, and maybe not even an upgrade over Albert.

The thing to consider when talking about the Chiefs O-line is that they have such a huge investment going on in Cassel. Financially and time-wise he is at the heart of their rebuilding program, and the best way to get him to succeed is by building up his protectors.

Also I reallllllly don't want to see Berry in the AFC West, especially with the Chiefs who imo are in the best shape of the 3 non-Charger teams.

diabsoule
03-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm fine with anyone as long as it's not Eversen Griffen, Maurkice Pouncey, Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy, an OL, or QB.

TonyGfortheTD
03-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Well if Buluga really was drafted at 5 it would definitely be with the intention to play him at LT. He could probably do it but again, not ideal, and maybe not even an upgrade over Albert.

That's the biggest issue. If the best way to go about things is to get an upgrade from Albert at LT and move him over to RT, fine. To make that move and not even get an upgrade from Albert, that's a sure way to make the fan base angry.

You won't find a fan here that will disagree that the line needs attention. Picking Bulaga when Okung is clearly the better prospect and using a personal connection as the reasoning is a terrible way to do it.

Addict
03-15-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm fine with anyone as long as it's not Eversen Griffen, Maurkice Pouncey, Carlos Dunlap, Greg Hardy, an OL, or QB.

Very fordesque

Any color, as long as it's black

golota
03-15-2010, 08:50 PM
It seems like a very good draft. A lot of analysis.

Do you get any feedback from actual NFL team reps on any of these players?

bored of education
03-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Dear Scott Wright

I enjoy the fact that Kirk Ferentz and Scott Pioli spend time under the pale moonlight during early spring days, but the need for an offensive linemen regardless of whom Pioli is dancing with, value wise, is not the best pick for Kansas City. I will spend the next 15 minutes writing long sentences to sound like I actually know what I am talking about.

Someone pointed out the amount of pass plays more than 40 yards Kansas City gave up, which waas 16. Is that an issue with the secondary, or is that an issue with the pass rush or lack there of. I think, ideally, Tamba Hali would be best suited as the LOLB. Is there a prospect worthy of that top 10 pick to get to play OLB? No. Does Pioli have the history of picking rush backers that high? No. Has any team under Pioli ever had a dominant rush backer? No. You see the pattern here? That can rule out JPP and Derrick Morgan to KC.

IS the secondary frail after Flowers? If you are frail after the flowers you may want to take up swashbuckeling in Provincetown, MA during the Indian Summers of Cape Cod. After Flowers, you have a not so dominant secondary comprised of Brandon Carr, Jarrad Turn the Page, John Quick Draw McGraw, DaJuan I've played Football for 4 years Morgan, umm Maurice Dont Call Me Lance Leggett and the best rookie draft pick of the 2009 draft class for Kansas City: Donald The Duke Washington Carver Alexander. So secondary is a pressing need, we got that covered. Is their a prospect in the top of the draft that is worthy of the number 5 pick? Yes Eric Boo Berry. But he MAY not be there. Your pick of Nate Allen in the 2nd if very nice but it was predicated by you not addressing the need earlier. But Allen would be very good value and would fight for a starting spot along side Morgan and Page.

Now, on to a smaller issue. The Mount Cody pick. Matt Bitoni feels that Cody should be a top 15 pick, well I can argue for and against that. The fact that Branden Albert and Glen Dorsey were late bloomers in training camp and had to spend an extra week in Haley's conditioning program makes me think Terrance Cody would not be a fit, philosophically. Would he be a good pick up in the beginning of the 2nd, hell yes. But I really don't see Cody spending the entire training camp in conditioning practice before he Corey Stringer's himself (no offense, RIP CS).

Overall, Mr Wright, I applaud your effort. If I am Todd Haley I slap you and if I am Scott Pioli I ask Kirk Ferentz to sit down while I slow dance with you to Lady In Red.

BUT, I am bored of education. I know more than anyone knows what the Chiefs needs are. But if I am that omniscient, would I be here after working an 11 hour day? No. But I will applaud the effort.

Ideally: Kansas City drafts follows this formula

A. Not picking Bulaga
B. not picking Cody
c. None of the above.

But I am hating on Cody and dont think he fits, philosophically. Bulaga, I just don't see it. But I may be wrong, for the 4th time ever.

Thank you for your time Scott, enjoy your day.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I really hope we pass on the Dunlap trap. We don't need another type of Pacman draft pick.

Dunlap is not anywhere close to the Pacman category. He made one mistake.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Thomas is a slight reach at 35 but I would be ok with it.

A reach? The Bucs are hoping Demaryius Thomas FALLS to them at #35.

Splat
03-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Overall, Mr Wright, I applaud your effort. If I am Todd Haley I slap you and if I am Scott Pioli I ask Kirk Ferentz to sit down while I slow dance with you to Lady In Red.

O my goodness.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Hey Scott, would love to hear your analysis regarding the Browns and the QBs in this year's draft, after what's happened last few days.

Clayton was on ESPN explaining how we are looking for Bradford/Clausen in Rd 1.

Any initial thoughts?

I don't think the Browns are taking a quarterback early based on what they've done. They paid Jake Delhomme crazy money so he's a lock for the starting job. Then they traded for Seneca Wallace and there is no way he is a #3 at this point in his career. My guess is the Browns will take a developmental signal caller in the middle rounds and Holmgren will hope he can find the next Mark Brunell or Matt Hasselbeck. All in all I think the Browns are screwing up. They are thinking short-term and I feel real bad for Cleveland fans. They are 2-3 years away from competing and that clock doesn't even start until they get a top quarterback in place.

Longclaw
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Personally, I think the Pats will go DE or OLB the first round whoever in their Draft Board is the highest available. Then target either who is not picked in the second if it's available.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Glad to have you aboard the Sam Bradford train, was wondering when some of the higher-profile guys like Kiper & yourself would come around.

Actually, I had Bradford going to the Rams quite a few mocks. I only had Suh there in the last couple. It has always been a strong possibility, the only question was whether or not the shoulder would check out medically. Now that it apparently has that's a no-brainer, they have to take the quarterback.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:43 PM
I've read somewhere, forget where that Pouncey could go to Denver at 11

I mentioned it in the podcast last week too, watch out for it.

thebow305
03-15-2010, 09:44 PM

Yeah, good chance he's LONG gone by then. Bucs fan should be ecstatic about that pick.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Agree. Everyone keeps thinking that Bryant replacing Marshall is such a neat fit, but forget about the fact he is everything that McDaniels doesnt like in a player.

I hate to break it to Mr. McDaniels but 99% of the top receivers these days are divas.

thebow305
03-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Scott, what are you're thoughts on Dez falling to the Phins? And if he does, do you think there's any way Parcells just looks past his hatred for WR's in the 1st round and/or Dez's issues and just selects him?

Or possibly even Bey Bey at #12 as a surprise?

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:47 PM

NFL people are MUCH higher on Bryan Bulaga than draftniks. Bulaga is a Top 10 overall pick and he is legitimately in the conversation with Okung.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Scott, what are you're thoughts on Dez falling to the Phins? And if he does, do you think there's any way Parcells just looks past his hatred for WR's in the 1st round and/or Dez's issues and just selects him?

Or possibly even Bey Bey at #12 as a surprise?

If Dez Bryant is there at #12 the Dolphins should run to the podium.

thebow305
03-15-2010, 09:51 PM
If Dez Bryant is there at #12 the Dolphins should run to the podium.

But my real question was do you think Parcells WILL take him? And what about Bey Bey?

thebow305
03-15-2010, 09:53 PM
And I saw this tweet on your account Scott, "Possibly. Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays at #14 are options too. RT @malbaker86 (http://twitter.com/malbaker86): Seahawks release Dion Grant. Hello Eric Berry?"

And I was thinking that could now be a REAL possibility. The connection is there with Lane Kiffin. I'm sure he would recommend him highly to his former coach.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
But my real question was do you think Parcells WILL take him? And what about Bey Bey?

They aren't taking Bey-Bey at #12...

I think the Tuna would take Bryant though... Parcells has dealt with difficult wideouts in the past and they were serious about potentially bringing in Antonio Bryant this offseason. And Bryant once threw a towel in the Tuna's face!

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 10:04 PM
And I saw this tweet on your account Scott, "Possibly. Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays at #14 are options too. RT @malbaker86 (http://twitter.com/malbaker86): Seahawks release Dion Grant. Hello Eric Berry?"

And I was thinking that could now be a REAL possibility. The connection is there with Lane Kiffin. I'm sure he would recommend him highly to his former coach.

No question Berry will be in the mix for Seattle at #6 if he is there. I just think the Seahawks need to use that top pick on a QB or LT. They can get a safety later, whether it be at #14, Round 2 or Round 3. They won't get a stud quarterback or left tackle later.

thebow305
03-15-2010, 10:04 PM
They aren't taking Bey-Bey at #12...

I think the Tuna would take Bryant though... Parcells has dealt with difficult wideouts in the past and they were serious about potentially bringing in Antonio Bryant this offseason. And Bryant once threw a towel in the Tuna's face!

Haha, yeah that's true.

bored of education
03-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Mr Wright

I see you are dodging me? It's not like I was throwing wrenches at you sir. :)

Longclaw
03-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Hi Scott! Big fan here from the Philippines. Just wondering who do you have for NE if Odrick is not there at 22? Thanks and more power!

bitonti
03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
this is an extremely tough year to mock because of how good the prospects are

in other years there are maybe 15 or 20 real first rounders

this year there might be more than 32... in other words 1st round graded players will get drafted in the 2nd round this year... that never ever happens.

CC.SD
03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Dear Scott Wright

I enjoy the fact that Kirk Ferentz and Scott Pioli spend time under the pale moonlight during early spring days, but the need for an offensive linemen regardless of whom Pioli is dancing with, value wise, is not the best pick for Kansas City. I will spend the next 15 minutes writing long sentences to sound like I actually know what I am talking about.

Someone pointed out the amount of pass plays more than 40 yards Kansas City gave up, which waas 16. Is that an issue with the secondary, or is that an issue with the pass rush or lack there of. I think, ideally, Tamba Hali would be best suited as the LOLB. Is there a prospect worthy of that top 10 pick to get to play OLB? No. Does Pioli have the history of picking rush backers that high? No. Has any team under Pioli ever had a dominant rush backer? No. You see the pattern here? That can rule out JPP and Derrick Morgan to KC.

IS the secondary frail after Flowers? If you are frail after the flowers you may want to take up swashbuckeling in Provincetown, MA during the Indian Summers of Cape Cod. After Flowers, you have a not so dominant secondary comprised of Brandon Carr, Jarrad Turn the Page, John Quick Draw McGraw, DaJuan I've played Football for 4 years Morgan, umm Maurice Dont Call Me Lance Leggett and the best rookie draft pick of the 2009 draft class for Kansas City: Donald The Duke Washington Carver Alexander. So secondary is a pressing need, we got that covered. Is their a prospect in the top of the draft that is worthy of the number 5 pick? Yes Eric Boo Berry. But he MAY not be there. Your pick of Nate Allen in the 2nd if very nice but it was predicated by you not addressing the need earlier. But Allen would be very good value and would fight for a starting spot along side Morgan and Page.

Now, on to a smaller issue. The Mount Cody pick. Matt Bitoni feels that Cody should be a top 15 pick, well I can argue for and against that. The fact that Branden Albert and Glen Dorsey were late bloomers in training camp and had to spend an extra week in Haley's conditioning program makes me think Terrance Cody would not be a fit, philosophically. Would he be a good pick up in the beginning of the 2nd, hell yes. But I really don't see Cody spending the entire training camp in conditioning practice before he Corey Stringer's himself (no offense, RIP CS).

BUT, I am bored of education. I know more than anyone knows what the Chiefs needs are. But if I am that omniscient, would I be here after working an 11 hour day? No. But I will applaud the effort.

Ideally: Kansas City drafts follows this formula

A. Not picking Bulaga
B. not picking Cody
c. None of the above.

But I am hating on Cody and dont think he fits, philosophically. Bulaga, I just don't see it. But I may be wrong, for the 4th time ever.

Thank you for your time Scott, enjoy your day.

Well this is f'n metal.

bitonti
03-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Actually, I had Bradford going to the Rams quite a few mocks. I only had Suh there in the last couple. It has always been a strong possibility, the only question was whether or not the shoulder would check out medically. Now that it apparently has that's a no-brainer, they have to take the quarterback.

Scott great job with the mock... my rebuttal to that... the doctors can't tell the Rams how the shoulder will respond to being hit. I still believe the Bradford thing is to desperately try to create a trade market for the #1 pick... and they will fail... and take Suh. Until I hear the Rams are in contract talks for Bradford... suh is still better, and the Rams front office is still gutless!

Side note all the DT activity in Detroit and their love of Okung both play into this theory. If Suh is worth the pick but McCoy isn't and Suh is gone at 1, they go Okung at 2. Bulaga might be a better player on film but he's not the prospect physically that Okung is... 38 reps with those arms was a legendary performance. I've been a fan of Bulaga all year and still think he's a better player but Okung deserves to go higher.

twizbuck
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Scott, I'd really like a more in-depth explanation as to why the Bengals take Pouncey. Do you really not like Cook? We're not looking for a Livings replacement either at this point. If anything we need a Bobbie Williams replacement since talks with him have stalled. I realize our spot in the draft won't give us much options if someone like Iupati (who I'm not even in favor of drafting anyway with our first pick) or Thomas doesn't fall to us, but we have to be able to go better than a guy that won't be our starting Center, and that's his natural position. Plus we just took an offensive linemen with our first pick last year.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Hi Scott! Big fan here from the Philippines. Just wondering who do you have for NE if Odrick is not there at 22? Thanks and more power!

I ALMOST gave Jermaine Gresham to New England.

Scott Wright
03-15-2010, 11:20 PM
Scott, I'd really like a more in-depth explanation as to why the Bengals take Pouncey. Do you really not like Cook? We're not looking for a Livings replacement either at this point. If anything we need a Bobbie Williams replacement since talks with him have stalled. I realize our spot in the draft won't give us much options if someone like Iupati (who I'm not even in favor of drafting anyway with our first pick) or Thomas doesn't fall to us, but we have to be able to go better than a guy that won't be our starting Center, and that's his natural position. Plus we just took an offensive linemen with our first pick last year.

I think Pouncey would be a big upgrade for Cincy regardless of whether they played him at center, left guard or right guard. They need to improve the interior of that offensive line and Pouncey would do that.

In all honestly the Bengals are kind of hard to mock for right now. If not Pouncey then where do they go? I don't think Taylor Mays is a first round fit now that they resigned Roy Williams. Maybe a tight end, but they just took Coffman in Round 3 last year then didn't play him because he wasn't a good blocker. I love Gresham and feel he's a better blocker than people give him credit for but he's definitely more of a pass catcher so would the Bengals go down that round again? I guess defensive tackle is a possibility but they have some guys there that they like.

See what I mean?

Let's here from you Bengals fans, what do you perceive to be their 1st Round needs?

03-15-2010, 11:24 PM
I ALMOST gave Jermaine Gresham to New England.

The team has scheduled a private workout for Dennis Pitta. He could be their pick in the second.

AkiliSmith
03-15-2010, 11:41 PM
I think Pouncey would be a big upgrade for Cincy regardless of whether they played him at center, left guard or right guard. They need to improve the interior of that offensive line and Pouncey would do that.

In all honestly the Bengals are kind of hard to mock for right now. If not Pouncey then where do they go? I don't think Taylor Mays is a first round fit now that they resigned Roy Williams. Maybe a tight end, but they just took Coffman in Round 3 last year then didn't play him because he wasn't a good blocker. I love Gresham and feel he's a better blocker than people give him credit for but he's definitely more of a pass catcher so would the Bengals go down that round again? I guess defensive tackle is a possibility but they have some guys there that they like.

See what I mean?

Let's here from you Bengals fans, what do you perceive to be their 1st Round needs?
Free safety - Crocker is a solid player but nothing long term. His back up is Tom Nelson. Suggestion - Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays

Wide receiver - Even with Bryant they still have no big possession receiver other than Matt Jones who probably won't make the team. They need a young stud long term guy. Suggestion - DeMaryius Thomas, Arrelius Benn

Left/Right guard - Livings and Mathis were ok and could definitely be upgraded. Williams is 34 years old and a free agent. Suggestion - Mike Iupati

Strongside linebacker - Someone in the mold of Pollack. They want someone who can rush the passer at this position once Maualuga slides inside. Suggestion - Sergio Kindle, Brandon Graham

That's about it for the first round. A lot of fans think DT but with Peko, Tank and Sims they are more than set there for a long time. They don't use the tight end as anything more than an extra lineman so it's just not an option in 1. I've seen corner thrown around a few times but that's just crazy with Hall and Joseph playing really well. Benson is on the last year of his deal so I wouldn't be shocked if Spiller was the pick.

RaiderNation
03-15-2010, 11:43 PM
IDK if you saw in the earlier posts Scott but it was well noted that the raiders were absent from Oklahoma's Pro Day last week. So IDK about the Trent Williams pick even though it makes perfect sense

Scott Wright
03-16-2010, 12:38 AM
IDK if you saw in the earlier posts Scott but it was well noted that the raiders were absent from Oklahoma's Pro Day last week. So IDK about the Trent Williams pick even though it makes perfect sense

As I mentioned on Twitter, these visits and appearances at Pro Day's may mean a lot or absolutely nothing. Some teams bring in guys they have no interest in just to throw others off. Meanwhile some teams will steer completely clear of a prospect they love so that others don't know they are interested. That's just the way the game is played this time of year.

Rosebud
03-16-2010, 12:54 AM
With only four wins this year, the Kansas City Chiefs at pick #5, had they needed/wanted a QB, could possibly have been out of the running for a potential franchise QB, with both Clausen and Bradford a fair possibily to go top 4. It doesn't strike me as impossible at all to see the Rams winning at least four games (or even up to 6-7 considering their division) and missing on whoever are the top QBs next year. You can't postpone the pick of a potential franchise QB to the following year. Especially if you aren't a loser and think you can win some games. Who knows? It might be their ONLY chance to get one in the next 5-10 years.

First of all the Rams could easily lose 12 games or more next year, secondly I think Clausen will be available at the #5 pick, and thirdly trading up to first overall from the top 5 shouldn't be that hard if the Rams want to, teams are trying to trade out of that top pick every year. If the rams want it they can get it without giving up a fortune, hell just look at what the Jets just did to get Sanchez and the Rams will have some much more appealing ammunition than the jets did. I get your point, but the point that I was trying to make was that there will be other franchise QB prospects, but will there be a Suh type prospect?

Rosebud
03-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey scott, do you think the giants drafting Dan Williams or Brian Price in round one is realistic? I think we're solid at LB and atrocious at DT so the need is a lot greater there. I also am a big fan of both of those two DTs after Suh and McCoy for our team. Which would let us still draft Daryl Washington in round two.

thebow305
03-16-2010, 01:12 AM
Hey scott, do you think the giants drafting Dan Williams or Brian Price in round one is realistic? I think we're solid at LB and atrocious at DT so the need is a lot greater there. I also am a big fan of both of those two DTs after Suh and McCoy for our team. Which would let us still draft Daryl Washington in round two.

I'm not Scott, but I actually have Dan Williams to NYG in my newest mock. This is because McClain is already off the board, but I think they could take DW regardless. Nice fit there.

thebow305
03-16-2010, 01:15 AM
this is an extremely tough year to mock because of how good the prospects are

in other years there are maybe 15 or 20 real first rounders

this year there might be more than 32... in other words 1st round graded players will get drafted in the 2nd round this year... that never ever happens.

Just wait for next year. The 2011 class is loaded!

Rosebud
03-16-2010, 01:16 AM
I'm not Scott, but I actually have Dan Williams to NYG in my newest mock. This is because McClain is already off the board, but I think they could take DW regardless. Nice fit there.

Personally I want Price more than anybody at that spot, we just usually don't "reach" much in the first round. I'd love Dan Williams as well I just worry that we might wait on adding some DTs.

Scott Wright
03-16-2010, 01:19 AM
Hey scott, do you think the giants drafting Dan Williams or Brian Price in round one is realistic?

I guess Dan Williams is a possibility but that's way too high for Brian Price.

The Giants seem to prefer active, playmaking types over run-stuffers so I'm not sure Williams would be a great fit for them philosophically / schematically.

If he is there I think McClain is the strong favorite for the G-Men.

RaiderNation
03-16-2010, 01:19 AM
As I mentioned on Twitter, these visits and appearances at Pro Day's may mean a lot or absolutely nothing. Some teams bring in guys they have no interest in just to throw others off. Meanwhile some teams will steer completely clear of a prospect they love so that others don't know they are interested. That's just the way the game is played this time of year.

Then theres still hope!!!!

nobodyinparticular
03-16-2010, 01:23 AM

I am reminded of Al Davis watching Sam Williams workout before the 2003 NFL draft. After seeing a little bit of it, he personally shutdown the workout and told no one to mention it to anybody. He was afraid someone would steal his "steal."

Al Davis is exactly the kind of guy who could steer clear of a prospect's Pro Day just to hide his interest.

thebow305
03-16-2010, 01:24 AM

The Giants seem to prefer active, playmaking types over run-stuffers so I'm not sure Williams would be a great fit for them philosophically / schematically.

Yeah, I agree. McClain may be too good a value at 15 to pass up.

LonghornsLegend
03-16-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm gonna be sick if we draft Taylor Mays :( Ugh. I'm not gonna act like it's realistic, but I don't even know why D-Unit likes him so much.

We have an attacking style defense, Wade loves to bring the house with exotic blitzes, it's almost imperative for us to have a ball hawking Safety who can make plays on the ball for one, and for two be able to cover a safety or slot WR man to man at times. Those two things are not Mays strong suit.

I'm with yourfavstoner in that he's a great assett for a cover 2 team, but with how we employ our safeties he doesn't make sense at all. If we can't get Earl Thomas who is perfect for what we want to do, we need to look at Nate Allen or Murgan Burnett, someone along those lines.

I have no problem admitting their not as good as overall players as Mays but in our scheme would be twice as good. Mays would be a nightmare on our team, and it would be right back to the drawing board with trying to scheme up a defensive to cover up the coverage defeciancies of our safety once again.

nobodyinparticular
03-16-2010, 01:28 AM
It's probably best to simply expect the unexpected when it comes to the Raiders.

As a Raider fan, I am actually appreciative of this final comment. It could easily be said "Always expect a stupid pick by senile Al" or "Billy Bob Bobbyson ran a 4.19 so expect him here in the 1st round--about 7 rounds too high."

In general those statements are fairly true, but the most true is for those watching to Raiders pick to "expect the unexpected."

PACKmanN
03-16-2010, 01:28 AM
The Packers never take need over BPA, so in that case, we take Rob G. in round 2. Plus the Packers hate CBs under 6'. The only CB under 6' on the roster is Williams and he was a UDFA.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Al Davis is exactly the kind of guy who could steer clear of a prospect's Pro Day just to hide his interest.

What sodding good would that do? Oakland was the only team not to go to the pro day. Showing up would what, give away the huge secret that Oklahoma has good players that warrant another look?

Besides, I can't recall a single other time that Oakland was notably absent from the pro day of a player they took in the first round. Who knows, maybe Oakland thought they saw more than enough of Williams at the combine, but I don't this can be chalked up to some sort of pre-draft intrigue.

03-16-2010, 01:35 AM
As a Raider fan, I am actually appreciative of this final comment. It could easily be said "Always expect a stupid pick by senile Al" or "Billy Bob Bobbyson ran a 4.19 so expect him here in the 1st round--about 7 rounds too high."

In general those statements are fairly true, but the most true is for those watching to Raiders pick to "expect the unexpected."

CJ Spiller!

LonghornsLegend
03-16-2010, 01:53 AM
Also, does anybody know anything about Jared Veldheer? 2nd seems a bit early for a project, but I don't know. Thing about taking a LT is if we don't get one in the 1st, I doubt somebody could be able to play better then Doug Free. Jerry and alot of people feel like Free can be the answer at LT, I highly doubt we draft someone else unless it's a guy like Charles Brown.

twizbuck
03-16-2010, 07:18 AM

See what I mean?

I agree it's a total pain, because the guys that work typically aren't available. But I'll give my thoughts:

Safety - Yes, we did just re-sign Roy Williams at Strong Safety, but it was only a one-year deal and it's tough to rely on him or Chinedum Ndukwe right now. We've had real issues with our safeties staying healthy, so a durable yet physical safety is worth the pick. I can see Taylor Mays here because of this. But the even greater need is a cover safety opposite these guys. If Earl Thomas is somehow still sitting on the board, Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis better be tripping over each other running to the podium.

The second round hopefully leaves us with someone like Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett (fat chance after his pro day), or Reshad Jones. Someone that can man the FS spot. I'm actually a fan of a lot of the mid to late round SS prospects so I wouldn't mind waiting on that spot, but that's me. I just never understood the Larry Asante thing. How do you think of Akwasi Owusu-Ansah as a FS prospect in round 2?

Tight End - I don't consider it a first round need because of our lack of use of one, but it is a need none the less. Yes, maybe if we had that great all-around TE that can do everything in the first round like a Jermaine Gresham we'd use the TE more, but I don't see that. In 2005, Reggie Kelly was our starter and we still had a deadly passing game. Plus as you said Scott, we did just draft Coffman. But a blocking TE in the mid rounds is likely to happen. I like Colin Peek, personally, and a few of the other mid to late round TE's.

Wide Receiver - I really have no idea what we're going to do with this one, anymore. If there's a great value in some round, we'll probably take it, but I can't see it as an early round pick anymore. I'll just leave it at that for now. Too messy.

Defensive Line - We really have needs both inside and outside. We do have Peko, Sims and Tank inside, but there are still health concerns and you can never have too many good linemen. Another UT would be very nice to rotate with Tank. I like Brian Price a lot, but you seem to think he's more of a NT. Though he might just be capable at both spots, and the Bengals do love 'tweeners. Tyson Alualu and Lamarr Houston are guys I like in the second. Anyone that can generate pass rush from the inside is welcome.

On the flip side, a new DE to replace Geathers would be nice. We're not going to replace Odom after that stellar start he was off to, and we have nice depth at DE (Johnson, Fanene) but more can't hurt later on, and Geathers has been anything but reliable. I don't see it happening, but DE early wouldn't be a bad thing. At the very least a DE somewhere should happen.

Offensive Guard - I'm confident in Kyle Cook at Center and I believe the Bengals are too. He just got started last season and had to deal with the passing game struggling on its own and injuries around him. Even then he was still solid. But you're right about Livings being upgraded, and right now we don't seem to have a RG. So a Guard in the early-mid rounds makes sense. I just can't see it in the first. Iupati, maybe, because of the value that's been given to him. But Pouncey just seems to have suddenly moved up boards again, and it's scaring me. We can get a big, nasty, powerful RG later on (John Jerry is someone of particular interest), and using our first rounder just to upgrade at Center or LG with our other needs doesn't really sit well. But value and fit, it's real tough at our draft position.

Running Back - This might just be me, but I can easily see us going with a RB early. Benson's on his last year, and we've seen what the run game is like without him (in two words: not great). C.J. Spiller, if he's sitting there, won't surprise me. People will bring up Leonard and Scott, but come on, Scott is a late round pick who we're just hoping pans out into something decent, and Leonard is a perennial backup. He did make plays for us last season, but we don't have someone to rely on if Benson goes down again.

Linebacker - Kind of odd to put this here following Rivers and Maualuga the last couple seasons, but picture what having a true SLB would do for our defense. I really, really like Koa Misi in the second round (not a true LB yet, but he seems to be making the move very well), and if Sergio Kindle is there in the first, I wouldn't mind at least thinking about it. Someone like A.J. Edds in the mid rounds would be a nice pickup too.

So, in summary, yes, it's a pain trying to mock for the Bengals this year. We can understand your frustration with the situation. Right now I'm just hoping the Texans somehow fall in love with Kyle Wilson and let Earl Thomas slip right to us. :D

Bengals78
03-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I really think the team lacked a play maker on both sides of the ball last year. I could really see us going for someone like Demaryius Thomas in the first just to get another big tall WR for Carson.
As much as people say TE, we always have used our TE as block first, catch 2nd. So unless Jermaine Gresham can block James Harrison or Lamar Woodley hard off the edge, I doubt he is a top choice.
Pass Rusher. We need someone who can get after the QB. I do not trust Odom to stay healthy. Geathers hasnt been the same since he got his contract. Maualuga seems destined for MLB which leaves a huge gap at SLB in 2 years. A pass rushing DE/SLB (Brandon Graham Sergio Kindle) would be ideal. Just not a huge project type like a Dunlap (we have one already in Michael Johnson). The only real inside pass rush we have is Tank Johnson, but we also have Fanene who slides in sometimes on passing downs.

A lot of our bad pass pro cam when Dennis Roland was in, Bobbie had to over compensate for him and that really left Kyle Cook alone on the big NT of the AFC North. Once Andre was in more, pass protection got a lot better IMO. Paul Alexander, our OLine coach, likes the guys who play multiple spots, so Pouncey does have that working for him, so its not a bad pick in terms of fit. Paul A seems to like drafting T who can move into G. Rodger Saffold is big choice in the 2nd.

I just dont see us going with an interior lineman that early. If Saffold fell in the 2nd maybe.
I really just see us targeting a playmaker in the first. Especially on defense. I wouldnt be surprised if this is a Zimmer heavy draft early.

Menardo75
03-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't like Iupati to the niners. He is too much of a risk as an offensive tackle with his technique problems he will require a lot of coaching. He looks like a natural guard too me. In that scenario I would hope we would trade down with our second pick and gran either Charles Brown or Jerry Hughes. The other two picks are great though love Haden reminds me of a younger Nate Clements.

TonyGfortheTD
03-16-2010, 03:21 PM
NFL people are MUCH higher on Bryan Bulaga than draftniks. Bulaga is a Top 10 overall pick and he is legitimately in the conversation with Okung.
I'm not a huge hater on Bulaga, as I see him a top 10 pick also. But, taking him over Okung and a top talent like Berry that would fill the biggest hole on the entire team would be flipping insane.

My first initial thought would still be Eric Berry though. The Chiefs do not have a single legitimate starting quality safety on the roster currently and have brought in 0 FA's to help address the huge need for one. Mike Brown sucked, but it doesn't matter as he's a FA now. They didn't seem to be high on Jarrad Page and McGraw is a reserve that was forced to be a starter.

In my view, the focus on improving that line has been pushed a little high while a huge need is getting little attention. Ideally, the Chiefs need 2 new starters at safety.

Pioli will be very hated in Kansas City if things goes down in that fashion.

jayceheathman
03-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Hopefully Earl Thomas and Ryan Matthews will be gone by 20 so the Texans will take Taylor Mays instead of giving D-Unit his man crush.

jayceheathman
03-16-2010, 07:58 PM

See what I mean?

They are still waiting to draft Jeremiah Masolli. He will fit right in.

bored of education
03-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Hmm, Scott :)

I understand you are very busy with your other endevours (sp.) I was just wondering how the recent signing of Ryan Lilja effects Kansas City's draft plans? I think the Chiefs got for a interior lineman in the 4th with best C/G.

Scott, I enjoy pot roast, what about you? What is your favorite thing to eat for dinner?

http://animal.discovery.com/guides/wild-birds/gallery/mallard_duck.jpg

DUCK!

I am Joking Sir Scott, I just don't thik the Cody pick is the best thing philosophically speaking. Albert barely made it through conditioning! Conditioning is a huge deal with Pioli and Haley.

I think it would be a good pick but I just don't see it happening.

derza222
03-16-2010, 08:48 PM

Do you think the Jets, with their wanting physical players and Thomas' run blocking being great for a team who loves to pound it on the ground, could give Thomas a look at 29? Obviously he's raw but for now Edwards and Cotch are on the roster anyway so he wouldn't have to start this year and he could probably step in for Edwards if he leaves and fill a very similar role.

I just ask because I think he's a very interesting fit and you imply that late first is a real strong possibility for Thomas if not earlier.

Rosebud
03-16-2010, 09:43 PM

Is Price really much worse than Sed Ellis, who went top ten? I think he's very similar in that he's explosive and can get into the backfield but also has great strength to throw blockers off of him and make plays against the run. Both dominated the PAC-10 getting 2-3 yards deep on every play and often taking blockers with them. I was stuck with a more explosive Cullen Jenkins as a comparison but the other day saw someone make this comparison and I think it's much more fitting.

As for what we'll prefer who knows what we'll want under Fewell, hell we could pass on McClain for spoon depending on what Fewell wants to do.

Splat
03-17-2010, 09:08 AM
I just don't thik the Cody pick is the best thing philosophically speaking. Conditioning is a huge deal with Pioli and Haley.

I think it would be a good pick but I just don't see it happening.

This.

The Chiefs need to nail their second round picks they can't afford to take a risky pick like Cody.

Addict
03-17-2010, 09:22 AM
Pioli will be very hated in Kansas City if things goes down in that fashion.

wow you're misguided. Honestly you can't grasp that it's possible that Pioli is aware what the Chiefs' team needs are better than you? How do you imagine these people do their work? If Pioli picks Baluga over Berry, that's because he believes that Baluge will be a better player for the Chiefs than Berry. But this aside, how exactly will taking OT (not entirely out of nowhere) over a safety cause Kansas Cityfolk to hate him?

The guy who is rebuilding the team, who for the first time in many years has chiefs fans thinking they may actually compete within a season or two. The guy who hired Crennell and Weis as coordinators and has made all the right moves so far it seems, will be hated. Please tell me how you didn't reconsider that statement when you edited your post? Or god forbid you added it in because it makes no sense what so ever. Matt Millen was hated because he sucked. Failed make any moves, made the wrong ones when he did make one, worse yet year after year after year picked the wrong position in the draft and doomed the lions for a decade. That, my friend, is a GM who was hated and resented, and rightfully so. The lions are still recovering from the horrible horrible mess he's made of the organisation.

Pioli, on the other hand, is one of the best GM's in the business. If the Chiefs fans begin to 'hate' him if he picks Baluga over Berry, well then quite frankly you deserve to fail, to lose and to be very very unsuccesful because you obviously wouldn't recognize a solid personnel guy if he landed on you. And Pioli isn't a small guy, so you'll need medical attention if he in fact DOES land on you.

no bare feet
03-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Kansas City's decision does not hinge on where the front office thinks Branden Albert is at, I think it hinges on where they think Ryan O'Callaghan is at. is he the RT of the future for that team? We know about Albert, his potential, his ups and downs, his versatility. If the front office feels he is a linch pin and the other bookend then they go with Berry if there. If no Berry, they go BPA on their boards which could be a tackle prospect.

I like O'Callaghan a lot and was hoping the Steelers were going to pick him up.

OaklandRaider56
03-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Best Raiders 2nd round pick we could ask for. Trent Williams, I'm not a fan of, maybe if he's strictly a RT I'll be fine with it but I just think he's headed for mediocrity.

Really like the mock as a whole.

Job
03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
The guy who is rebuilding the team, who for the first time in many years has chiefs fans thinking they may actually compete within a season or two. The guy who hired Crennell and Weis as coordinators, drafted Jamaal Charles and has made all the right moves so far it seems, will be hated. Please tell me how you didn't reconsider that statement when you edited your post?

Nice post, but Pioli didn't draft Jamaal Charles.

Addict
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Nice post, but Pioli didn't draft Jamaal Charles.

oh sh-- I'll edit real quick. Thanks.

edit: I edited but realised it makes no difference. Eh well.