PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas New #1 ranking?

RWills
03-15-2010, 02:53 PM
I have heard this from Kirwan, Brandt and either Ross Tucker or Jim Miller that if Demaryius Thomas shows he is healthy and can workout he will be a top 15 pick easy. On top of that most of Bryant talk is that Dez Bryant is dropping more than you think.

FUNBUNCHER
03-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Another opportunity for Golden Tate to slip into the #1 WR spot!!!!!!!

Keep scrapping, dudes....

no bare feet
03-15-2010, 02:58 PM
DeMaryius is a solid prospect but he is not in the same league as Dez. I don't care what the guys on NFL xm radio say, sorry.

AkiliSmith
03-15-2010, 03:11 PM
Bengals #21

K Thx

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2010, 03:15 PM
I've seen Thomas be the #1 WR in lots of different places now, I'm more excited that people keep mocking Dez Bryant outside of the first 25 picks now. I've seen him go to Dallas, NY Jets, all around that area. I think people are over blowing it honestly, he's way too good to fall to that spot but I sure would love it if he did.

Hoooray for talented players with question marks dropping to the end of the 1st :D

BaLLiN
03-15-2010, 03:22 PM
well he wont be able to show he's healthy and can work out because he fractured his foot, so i dont know what youre going with here. He'll be ready to go by training camp maybe, but definitely not before the draft.

bigbluedefense
03-15-2010, 03:28 PM
I love him as a project in the 2nd or 3rd round.

1st round is a little iffy. At that point, he's no longer a steal.

With so many good players in this draft, I doubt he cracks the 1st round. I'm hoping he slips to the Giants in the 3rd.

RWills
03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
some more news to stir the pot

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com writes that he "wouldn’t be surprised if (Dez) Bryant slips out of the first round entirely."

Marvez cites a recent ESPN The Magazine report that claimed Bryant was "notoriously unreliable" in college, and that "Getting him to focus on even simple tasks like attending class was a daily struggle." In addition to FOX and ESPN The Mag, the National Football Post, Cleveland Plain Dealer, and Yahoo have published negative reports about Bryant in the last month

bitonti
03-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Alex Marvez of FOXSports.com writes that he "wouldn’t be surprised if (Dez) Bryant slips out of the first round entirely."

Marvez cites a recent ESPN The Magazine report that claimed Bryant was "notoriously unreliable" in college, and that "Getting him to focus on even simple tasks like attending class was a daily struggle." In addition to FOX and ESPN The Mag, the National Football Post, Cleveland Plain Dealer, and Yahoo have published negative reports about Bryant in the last month

but... dez bryant is a top 5 pick?

prock
03-15-2010, 04:03 PM
dont know who this marvez character is, but he is obviously ********.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Bebe has the best physical tools of any WR in the draft including Dez to be a standout #1 WR. With that said that is if he is molded well which is a huge risk. We are still unsure of his route running ability. What we know is that he is huge, relatively fast, and has good ball skills. Hell if DHB can be drafted over Crabtree I wouldn't be surprised to see Thomas drafted over Dez. I don't agree with it, but it could definitely happen. I think where he lands ultimately determines whether he is a bust or not. I think drafting him in the top 15 and expecting him to contribute immediately is recipe for disaster. Although if he is drafted at for example 25 where he can learn from a receiver similar physically in Anquan Boldin and one of the best route runners in the league in Derrick Mason, I think he has a shot to be something really special. I fear him being drafted by a team like say Denver at 11 expecting him to give them Brandon Marshall production from the get go, and he will bust horribly.

GoRavens
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Dez Bryant might be slipping. A lot.
It won't surprise me if he falls to the 20-30 range.

wicket
03-15-2010, 04:18 PM
dez bryant might drop a bit but he wont fall all that far, to many teams that can use a wideout and the kid is to special

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Yea right, I'd bet my years salary he won't fall out of the 1st, I know I know "anything can happen" but top 5 talents don't slip out of the 1st round, especially considering his "problems" aren't nearly big enough to warrant him falling that far.

Roy has 1 more year in Dallas, or should I say half year, because he could get benched outright mid season but he won't be here longer then next season. I could easily see Dez and Austin as our future starters with Ogletree as the slot man. His problems are definately not enough for Jerry Jones to pass up, and honestly don't know why they would be too much for Cincy, or Baltimore to pass up either.

That's great value for the type of player he is, and granted his stock may be falling but it's getting a bit overexaggerated about him going to the 2nd round.

RWills
03-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Yea right, I'd bet my years salary he won't fall out of the 1st, I know I know "anything can happen" but top 5 talents don't slip out of the 1st round, especially considering his "problems" aren't nearly big enough to warrant him falling that far.

Roy has 1 more year in Dallas, or should I say half year, because he could get benched outright mid season but he won't be here longer then next season. I could easily see Dez and Austin as our future starters with Ogletree as the slot man. His problems are definately not enough for Jerry Jones to pass up, and honestly don't know why they would be too much for Cincy, or Baltimore to pass up either.

That's great value for the type of player he is, and granted his stock may be falling but it's getting a bit overexaggerated about him going to the 2nd round.

I remember people saying the same thing about Michael Johnson last year

RealityCheck
03-15-2010, 04:32 PM
I love him as a project in the 2nd or 3rd round.

1st round is a little iffy. At that point, he's no longer a steal.

What this guy said.

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Lol. You can't be serious can you?

Clarkw267
03-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Bay Bay Thomas is just as physically gifted as Dez Bryant. The difference is that he is far more raw when it comes to route running. He definitely has the tools to become a #1 WR on the next level, and I don't think it's a stretch at all if he gets selected in the 1st round.

RealityCheck
03-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I say bring Gilyard into this thread.

You guys need some Mardy love.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-15-2010, 04:38 PM
As a prospect I think he's similar to Malcolm Kelly minus the horrible knee problems.

thetedginnshow
03-15-2010, 04:41 PM

Those two aren't even kind of comparable.

As for Bey Bey, the earliest I'd like to see him go is 29. Before that, I think he's probably too much of a risk.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-15-2010, 04:47 PM
I don't see him being that much more of a risk than someone like Regus.

thetedginnshow
03-15-2010, 04:50 PM
I don't see him being that much more of a risk than someone like Regus.

I said what I said because the Jets have the 29th pick. :D

But FYI, I wouldn't take Benn on either of the first two days.

GoRavens
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
Jordan Shipley should be the new #1 receiver

RealityCheck
03-15-2010, 05:04 PM
^ He's white. The NFL Draft is racist, it doesn't like white WRs.

Why not? Regus is a legit top 15 pick. He's the complete receiver.

Cicero
03-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I say bring Gilyard into this thread.

You guys need some Mardy love.

Is he really your #1 WR? :s

V.I.P
03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Damian Williams is the #1 WR in this draft.

Clarkw267
03-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Bay Bay...

not Bebe

or Bey Bey

GoRavens
03-15-2010, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTPAkRETm7c
ay baybay!
-____-

Addict
03-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Stop listening to Kirwan, he is full of ****. He's a lying idiot who does not understand how football works. His mock drafts blow, his analysis sucks and his writing is terrible. Ignore Pat Kirwan and everything related to him at all costs.

That is except if you want to read dumb, incoherent and maddeningly inconsistent stuff. If that's your thing Kirwan is your man.

thebow305
03-15-2010, 05:39 PM
I love Demaryius and I agree that he is has ALL the tools to be a dangerout #1 receiver in the NFL. And I could definitely see him as a Top 20 pick if he works out well in April. But I watched First Take this morning and Jon Ritchie has Denver taking him at 11. Now I know that means next to nothing, but I just can't see him climbing that high after breaking his foot. I've been a big fan of him since his frosh year, however, and would have no problem with the Phins taking him at 12. Even with Dez on the board.

Megatron Jr.

It does make me more and more giddy by the day about the chances of Dez falling to #12 though. I don't see how we could pass on him at that spot. But it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

RWills
03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Stop listening to Kirwan, he is full of ****. He's a lying idiot who does not understand how football works. His mock drafts blow, his analysis sucks and his writing is terrible. Ignore Pat Kirwan and everything related to him at all costs.

That is except if you want to read dumb, incoherent and maddeningly inconsistent stuff. If that's your thing Kirwan is your man.

Thats Deep, so much anger

NFL Network's Steve Wyche reports that Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas (broken left foot) still plans to hold a private workout on April 12.

Thomas, who sat out the Yellow Jackets' Monday Pro Day while still in a walking boot, plans to shed the brace and resume running next week. By holding a workout and showing he's 100 percent before the draft, Thomas could perhaps secure a spot in the first round. He was running sub-4.4s before the injury.

thebow305

I do agree though that his mocks suck and he has no idea where players are going. My mock drafts are better.

Obviously. :)

RealityCheck
Is he really your #1 WR? :s
No, but he's my #4.

Addict
03-15-2010, 06:35 PM
I do agree though that his mocks suck and he has no idea where players are going. My mock drafts are better.

Obviously. :)

Don't compare yourself to Kirwan, Bow! You're much better than that. Saying you're better at mock drafts than kirwan is saying your handwriting is better than the armless man's.

thebow305
03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Don't compare yourself to Kirwan, Bow! You're much better than that. Saying you're better at mock drafts than kirwan is saying your handwriting is better than the armless man's.

Haha. You're right! What was I thinking?? I rule! http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

psupride1131
03-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Demaryius "Beybey" Thomas...

Arrelious "Regus" Benn...

Why can't anyone go with their given name? Its what your momma wanted!

Addict
03-15-2010, 07:41 PM
Demaryius "Beybey" Thomas...

Arrelious "Regus" Benn...

Why can't anyone go with their given name? Its what your momma wanted!

You're absolutely right, psupride!

...wait, what?

psupride1131
03-15-2010, 07:45 PM
You're absolutely right, psupride!

...wait, what?

I'm just sayin the nicknames get a little confusing!

BuddyCHRIST
03-15-2010, 07:54 PM
He definitely has the ability, but his risk is way too much. I like his physical gifts and attitude but WR is a tough position to learn in the pro's and being so raw with routes and understanding of the passing game is just too much for me to place him above Bryant or even Benn and Tate.

LonghornsLegend
03-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Kirwans' mocks are attrocious, there more funny to read then anything, I have no clue why he's allowed to do them anymore.

energizerbunny
03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I love his toughness, he is fearless (he has to be playing for a team taht runs the ball 85% of the time).

I've watched my fair share of OKST & GT games I would venture to say that Bay Bay is just as fast (if not faster) then Dez.

zachsaints52
03-17-2010, 08:33 AM
I was watching that morning show on ESPN2, and I think Jon Ritchie had Demaryius 11th to the Broncos..... I was like seriously? You get paid money for this?

GoRavens
03-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I was watching that morning show on ESPN2, and I think Jon Ritchie had Demaryius 11th to the Broncos..... I was like seriously? You get paid money for this?

It could happen.
With all this talk of Dez Bryant slipping, Demaryius could very well be the 1st receiver taken.
However, Denver needs defensive help first.

Larry121283
03-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Bay Bay is a stud, just question his status right now with injury and I'm always questioning wide outs from option teams...they just don't do routes they'll see in the pro game and it is difficult to tell if they can separate.

One thing is clear, he is a guy that can go up and get the football...good hands and hand-eye coordination. It didn't matter if he was covered by 2 or 3 defenders he'd get the football at the highest point when Nesbitt tossed it up.

BrabbitMcRabbit
03-17-2010, 11:02 PM
He would be a little bit of a reach in the top 15 because he probably won't help much in year one, but he has all of the tools to be a frontline #1 WR.

I rank him higher than where I had Nicks/Harvin/Maclin last year.

Hines
03-18-2010, 03:46 AM
In regards to Bryant, I see no way he drops out of the top 15. Baggage and all.

RWills
03-18-2010, 09:28 AM
without the baggage I see him at Cleveland, but with the way his offseason and rumors has been going and teams really not wanting to deal with off-field issues. Who knows how far.

SenorGato
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
2nd round pick. Too raw to be a first round pick at WR, and the broken foot doesn't/won't help him ether.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-18-2010, 01:01 PM
2nd round pick. Too raw to be a first round pick at WR, and the broken foot doesn't/won't help him ether.

DHB was just as raw and was a top 10 pick. Why Thomas doesn't have that freakish speed he does have a freakish combination of size/speed ratio.

FlyingElvis
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd be pretty surprised if Thomas went before Bryant. If he had been able to work out and showed coaches/GMs/staff that he could do everything well enough then he had a chance to leapfrog Bryant b/c of attitude. Without the workouts, however, it's all based on film at this point.

ThePudge
03-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I'd be shocked. I love Demaryius Thomas, 23rd on my board and my #2 receiver; however, Dez Bryant's an elite talent at the Wide Receiver position, is a Top 5-10 value to me, and shouldn't escape the Top 12-14 in any case. I think his character "issues" are being largely overplayed.

yourfavestoner
03-18-2010, 01:36 PM

Exactly. Case in point being Percy Harvin.

vidae
03-18-2010, 02:00 PM
DHB was just as raw and was a top 10 pick. Why Thomas doesn't have that freakish speed he does have a freakish combination of size/speed ratio.

Yeah but look who drafted him. Thomas belongs in the first, but probably after pick #25. IF he can run and work out on April 12th I'd be surprised if he fell out of the first completely.

coordinator0
03-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah but look who drafted him. Thomas belongs in the first, but probably after pick #25. IF he can run and work out on April 12th I'd be surprised if he fell out of the first completely.

Pick 25 you say... I hear the Ravens are interested in him at that spot :). Doubt we go that direction with needs on the defensive front, but hey I really don't know anything.

PrimetimeTheDon
03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Dez Bryant will go top 15. Lock.

PrimetimeTheDon
03-18-2010, 04:28 PM
^ He's white. The NFL Draft is racist, it doesn't like white WRs.

Why not? Regus is a legit top 15 pick. He's the complete receiver.

He body catches too often, struggles to find seperation and never took that step to the elite level as a WR in college. I've seen him make some nice catches, but it's rare that he plucks the ball out of the air with his hands in traffic.

Certainly looks the part and runs hard but you have to question his work ethic after he took such a large step backwards last year.

lod01
03-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Damian Williams is the #1 WR in this draft.

I'm starting to think the same.

FUNBUNCHER
03-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I'd be shocked. I love Demaryius Thomas, 23rd on my board and my #2 receiver; however, Dez Bryant's an elite talent at the Wide Receiver position, is a Top 5-10 value to me, and shouldn't escape the Top 12-14 in any case. I think his character "issues" are being largely overplayed.

What's the max number of WRs you see going in the top 32??

Initially, I thought it was only Bryant, Tate, and Benn,( good for him that he ran a sub 4.4 at Illinois' pro day!!), now, I'm not so sure.

As for Bryant, I don't think he represented himself well in interviews and may have scared off teams from investing mega-millions in him by selecting Dez in the top 15.

RWills
03-19-2010, 07:20 PM
What's the max number of WRs you see going in the top 32??

Initially, I thought it was only Bryant, Tate, and Benn,( good for him that he ran a sub 4.4 at Illinois' pro day!!), now, I'm not so sure.

As for Bryant, I don't think he represented himself well in interviews and may have scared off teams from investing mega-millions in him by selecting Dez in the top 15.

2, Bryant and Thomas

RWills
03-19-2010, 07:41 PM
Dez Bryant will go top 15. Lock.

Maybe he can bring his new mentor, Pac Man

Menardo75
03-19-2010, 07:46 PM
I don't think I have ever seen someones stock rise so much with them doing nothing.

GoRavens
03-20-2010, 01:29 AM
I don't think I have ever seen someones stock rise so much with them doing nothing.

yeah Demaryius is growing a huge fan base.
Potential is everything & he has Brandon Marshall written all over him.
Hopefully his routes, and overall consistency improves in the NFL.
(EARLY ROUND 2)

descendency
03-20-2010, 01:38 AM
but... dez bryant is a top 5 pick?

Lol. No. Top 10 at best.

GoRavens
03-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Lol. No. Top 10 at best.

Dez could go as high as #3 to Tampa.

TheMorningZoo
03-20-2010, 03:23 AM
saw a video on NFL.com with Mayock and Casserly discussing prospects. At the end Mayock shook on it stating Bey Bey will be a first round pick. Casserly said no, and said while he has all the tools-he is raw as a route runner (limited routes ) and durability issues. Solid 2nd rounder IMO

J-Mike88
03-20-2010, 08:34 AM
That's the funny part.
Just because a guy moves up on some people's mocks in March or April, some people believe that's the scripture or something, that a guy's stock really is going up.

People, this isn't the Nasdaq.
You will never know what a guy's real "stock value" is until the actual draft.

Dez Bryant > Demaryius Thomas, not even close.

Anyone remember Tyrone Calico's measurables?

Menardo75
03-20-2010, 01:00 PM
That's the funny part.
Just because a guy moves up on some people's mocks in March or April, some people believe that's the scripture or something, that a guy's stock really is going up.

People, this isn't the Nasdaq.
You will never know what a guy's real "stock value" is until the actual draft.

Dez Bryant > Demaryius Thomas, not even close.

Anyone remember Tyrone Calico's measurables?

Even though all the coaches and scouts are raving about him? There is a buzz for a reason.

descendency
03-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Dez could go as high as #3 to Tampa.

If Tampa takes Dez Bryant #3, they deserve to be drafting #1 next year.

There are easily 3 better prospects than Dez Bryant.

WRs don't belong in the top 10. Period. Look at how great Detroit did taking WR after WR after WR. Look at how great Houston has been with one of the best WRs in the country.

WRs are one of the least important positions at any level above high school football.

The top 10 should be some combination of Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Brian Bulaga (who will go 5th overall to the Chiefs), Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, Bruce Campbell (who will go 8th to the Raiders), Eric Berry, and whoever Jacksonville might take, which is probably a debate between JPP and Derrick Morgan.

Dez Bryant is a great pick between 15-25 (I've had him going to the Ravens earlier in the year). I'd take Dan Williams, Rolando McClain, and others over Bryant as well. He has character issues (work ethic and such). He got suspended for the year for lying (definitely not a good sign) when he had no reason to lie. Either he had a reason to lie or he's an idiot. He's friends with the wrong people (it's the same people who held Michael Crabtree out of camp). He isn't Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson either.

I wouldn't take him at all if I were a GM. An elite OL makes young QBs develop faster.

Scotty D
03-20-2010, 02:08 PM

WRs don't belong in the top 10. Period. Look at how great Detroit did taking WR after WR after WR. Look at how great Houston has been with one of the best WRs in the country.

WRs are one of the least important positions at any level above high school football.

I wouldn't take him at all if I were a GM. An elite OL makes young QBs develop faster.

I completely disagree. Did you notice what a #1 WR did for Tom Brady and the Patriots? Or how about Larry Fitzgerald for the Cardinals? A #1 WR can help so many aspects of your team...it opens up the field for your other WRs, takes pressure off the running game, gives confidence to your QB, and gives you a threat to score at any time.

Brady Quinn had a solid offensive line but had no weapons to work with. Do you think he had confidence that those WRs and TEs were going to actually do anything?

SenorGato
03-20-2010, 02:37 PM

The top 10 should be some combination of Gerald McCoy, Ndamukong Suh, Brian Bulaga (who will go 5th overall to the Chiefs), Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, Bruce Campbell (who will go 8th to the Raiders), Eric Berry, and whoever Jacksonville might take, which is probably a debate between JPP and Derrick Morgan.

Dez Bryant is a great pick between 15-25 (I've had him going to the Ravens earlier in the year). I'd take Dan Williams, Rolando McClain, and others over Bryant as well. He has character issues (work ethic and such). He got suspended for the year for lying (definitely not a good sign) when he had no reason to lie. Either he had a reason to lie or he's an idiot. He's friends with the wrong people (it's the same people who held Michael Crabtree out of camp). He isn't Calvin Johnson or Andre Johnson either.

Disagree with this whole post, except maybe the last line. I could see them grabbing a LT, but TB has actually stockpiled OL talent and they're decent there.

Bryant's a far better player than I see him being treated as on forums lately. Can't wait for draft day for that one to be flushed down the sh*tter...top 5 player in this draft, easy. TB would be really smart to take him.

I will hold out some hope that these guys who take Bryant not running the 40 time as some major sign are correct so that he falls to 29. That would be a gift from Jah himself, but that stuff is just not happening. If he gets past 10 I'll be thinking that NFL teams are run by fools.

descendency
03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
I completely disagree. Did you notice what a #1 WR did for Tom Brady and the Patriots? Or how about Larry Fitzgerald for the Cardinals?

Tom Brady = Elite, Developed QB
Kurt Warner = Elite, Developed QB; let's see what he does for Matt Leinart.

Calvin Johnson has Matthew Stafford (a young, not developed, QB), the Lions won 2 games.

Andre Johnson. Another elite WR without an elite QB who can't make the playoffs. "But it's not his fault". True, but the team would be better off with an elite player at a more important position. NE didn't win Super Bowls with elite WRs. They won them with elite DL, OL, and QB.

Here are the top 10 picks at WR from the last 10 years:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?year_1=1999&year_2=2009&tm=all&pos=WR&round_1=1&round_2=1&slot_1=1&slot_2=10&conference=any&show=all&lg=ANY&type=

Teams that might make the playoffs off that list: Cardinals and Vikings. (Pit not counted because they didn't keep Burress)

The only good WRs on that list are Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Torry Holt. That's 4/19 (21%). One of them is an elite WR and his team wins 2 games. One is probably the best WR in the NFL, and his team can't make it into the playoffs. The other two have elite QBs driving the team.

The rest are too young or failures. Troy Williamson had a good year with Favre. Let's see how good he looks if Favre retires and Tarvaris Jackson is throwing the ball to him.

Elite WRs are heavily over-rated. They get their numbers but rarely do much for anyone else. Everyone seems to believe that Randy Moss was going 50% last year, yet Wes Welker nearly had an All-Pro year. Why? (Because the other Patriots WRs were awful...) Because Tom Brady got the ball to him and the OL did a great job of blocking for him (unless Nick Kaczur was in, where he promptly fell on his *** and got beat like a dirty rug).

edit: The only reason so many fans are so high on Dez Bryant is because he didn't have any bad film to over-analyze this year, not because he was so great but because he got expelled from the NCAA.

Scotty D
03-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Andre Johnson. Another elite WR without an elite QB who can't make the playoffs. "But it's not his fault". True, but the team would be better off with an elite player at a more important position. NE didn't win Super Bowls with elite WRs. They won them with elite DL, OL, and QB.

Here are the top 10 picks at WR from the last 10 years:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/draft/draft_query.cgi?year_1=1999&year_2=2009&tm=all&pos=WR&round_1=1&round_2=1&slot_1=1&slot_2=10&conference=any&show=all&lg=ANY&type=

Teams that might make the playoffs off that list: Cardinals and Vikings. (Pit not counted because they didn't keep Burress)

The only good WRs on that list are Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Torry Holt. That's 4/19 (21%). One of them is an elite WR and his team wins 2 games. One is probably the best WR in the NFL, and his team can't make it into the playoffs. The other two have elite QBs driving the team.

The rest are too young or failures. Troy Williamson had a good year with Favre. Let's see how good he looks if Favre retires and Tarvaris Jackson is throwing the ball to him.

Elite WRs are heavily over-rated. They get their numbers but rarely do much for anyone else. Everyone seems to believe that Randy Moss was going 50% last year, yet Wes Welker nearly had an All-Pro year. Why? (Because the other Patriots WRs were awful...) Because Tom Brady got the ball to him and the OL did a great job of blocking for him (unless Nick Kaczur was in, where he promptly fell on his *** and got beat like a dirty rug).

Troy Williamson was on the Jags last year, and Schaub turned into a beast.

You completely ignored what a #1 WR does for the team that can't be measured in stats.

RWills
03-22-2010, 05:58 PM
As we get closer the whispers get louder....

straight from rotoworld

NFL Network's Mike Mayock said on Path to the Draft Monday that he's "hearing" Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas (broken left foot) will not be able to conduct a pre-draft workout.

Mayock still believes Thomas belongs in the first round, despite teams having no forty time on record for "Bay Bay." It's worth noting that Michael Crabtree was a top-ten pick last year after undergoing a similar surgery on his foot and missing all pre-draft workouts. Though his skill set is raw, recent speculation has Thomas possibly going as high as No. 10 to Jacksonville.

RealityCheck
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
You sir just hit the nail in the right place. Now start hammering it.

bitonti
03-22-2010, 06:04 PM
thomas has a broken foot and no production

bryant has a suspension, no workouts, but has the time to hang out at Pac Man Jones pro day

people need to find a new #1 WR

Golden Tate, Damian Williams, Regus Benn all seem deserving of that label based on their hard work and production

Maybe Carlton Mitchell is better than all of em...

dont be scared to think outside the herd, sheeple!

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 06:24 PM

bryant has a suspension, no workouts, but has the time to hang out at Pac Man Jones pro day

Golden Tate, Damian Williams, Regus Benn all seem deserving of that label based on their hard work and production

This is a joke. How 1154 yds 25.1 avg and 8 Tds in an offense that doesn't throw the ball = No production, I have no idea.

Benn - 38 rec 490 yds 2 Td.....
Williams - 70 rec 1010 yds 6 Td....
Mitchell - 40 rec 706 yds 4 Td...

And Demaryius Thomas is the unproductive one? Dez Bryant's set to work out soon.

I know you don't like me, but here you've brought a pretty weak argument to the table.

Clarkw267
03-23-2010, 12:22 AM

Do yourself a favor, and read the things you type out loud to yourself before you hit "send reply".

Then if you have a little bit of time to spare after that. How about a little fact checking.

D. Thomas 2009 - 44 Rec, 1,154 Yds , 8 TDs (Playing in a triple option)
A. Benn 2009 - 38 Rec, 490 Yds, 2 TDs (7 CAREER TDs.... 7)
D. Bryant 2009 - 17 Rec, 323 Yds, 4 TDs (In 3 Games)

Who would want a 6'3" 225 Lb. WR that has good speed to go with great ball skills though... those guys are a dime a dozen.

superman
03-23-2010, 12:45 AM
not knocking thomas, but i wouldn't pay much attention to his ypc. option offense actually helps, not hurts that.

that said, i'd go dez, thomas, benn, tate, williams

ThePudge
03-23-2010, 12:49 AM
not knocking thomas, but i wouldn't pay much attention to his ypc. option offense actually helps, not hurts that.

It's absolutely helps his average, but it doesn't change the fact that Thomas was one of the best players in the country getting yards after the catch. After re-visiting film on Bay Bay it's incredible the angles he beats out (and I mean ACC DBs). I have serious doubts about his feet & how sudden and smooth he can be in/out of his cuts... but his physical gifts are immense & he has #1 potential in the NFL.

Clarkw267
03-23-2010, 12:58 AM
It's absolutely helps his average, but it doesn't change the fact that Thomas was one of the best players in the country getting yards after the catch. After re-visiting film on Bay Bay it's incredible the angles he beats out (and I mean ACC DBs). I have serious doubts about his feet & how sudden and smooth he can be in/out of his cuts... but his physical gifts are immense & he has #1 potential in the NFL.

Add SEC DBs to the list

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maf0y1s5i7Q

superman
03-23-2010, 01:04 AM

he does have #1 wr potential for sure. so do benn and bryant in this draft.

thetedginnshow
03-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Bay Bay has a pretty stiff arm. I'd draft him high on that and his jump ball ability alone.

bitonti
03-23-2010, 12:40 PM
the dude has a broken foot

teams don't usually draft hurt players

the draft is a way to get healthier not more injured

i like D Thomas but his value is tied to his ability to run

right now he's not running.

Clarkw267
03-23-2010, 11:26 PM

What in the world are you talking about? Teams don't usually draft hurt players.. are you kidding me?

Crabtree went top 10 without running last year. Thomas is more physically gifted than Crabtree, but a ton more raw.

If teams want to see if he can run, they'll put on the game tape and see Thomas outrunning crazy angles against big time competition.

Monomach
03-23-2010, 11:31 PM

Like how Michael Crabtree wasn't running last year and no one drafted him?

Monomach
03-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Ah, crap. Got beat by the guy in front of me.

Ok, I'll add Demetrius Byrd to it. Dude was practically in multiple pieces on a hospital gurney and still got drafted. Or Brandon Tate and his amazing rubberband leg. Willis McGahee, too.

proshoota25
03-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Ah, crap. Got beat by the guy in front of me.

Ok, I'll add Demetrius Byrd to it. Dude was practically in multiple pieces on a hospital gurney and still got drafted. Or Brandon Tate and his amazing rubberband leg. Willis McGahee, too.

haha beautiful. dude got owned.

FUNBUNCHER
03-24-2010, 05:46 AM

I can't remember the last time a top prospect with over 1000 yards receiving had over 20+yds/catch.

That single number alone is why many are drooling over Thomas' upside.

RWills
03-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Would like it, never expect it, maybe it will happen then

NFL Network's Mike Mayock expects the Patriots to strongly consider Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas (foot) if he's available at No. 22 overall.

Mayock points to Randy Moss' age (33) and Bill Belichick's eye for on-tape talent when calling Thomas an option; the former Yellow Jacket isn't expected to work out before the draft. Thomas is a deep threat like Moss, in addition to being a pro-ready blocking wide receiver. Mayock also thinks Dez Bryant could be a Patriot if his draft stock is truly in free fall.

FlyingElvis
03-24-2010, 09:18 AM
^ But Mayock is driving that particular bandwagon. Not that I would be upset if Thomas was the pick at 22 . . . it's just that using Mayock as an example is senseless. He is, as far as I can tell, the guy behind the "Thomas is a first round pick" hype.

nepg
03-24-2010, 10:52 AM
I actually prefer Thomas at #22 over just about anybody else at this point...

bitonti
03-24-2010, 11:25 AM
michael crabtree scored 27 TD in his redshirt fresh year. 27!

if he ran he would have gone higher than 10.

D Thomas has very little production to show teams.

03-24-2010, 11:44 AM

In relation to Crabtree, of course, but to say he has very little production is simply not true.

DeathbyStat
03-24-2010, 11:46 AM
I think this guys is a boom or bust project that I wouldn't touch the first round maybe mid second or early third

Clarkw267
03-25-2010, 12:13 AM

In a pass happy spread offense that puts up insane passing numbers:

Leach had 3 different QBs throw for over 45 TDs in a season.. 3!

Harrell, Symons, Kingsbury

Now I think Crabtree is a talented guy.. but there's no denying his stats were super inflated by the offense he was in.

IN TURN

Thomas played in a triple option offense, with a glorified RB throwing him the ball. His production was damn impressive. You are flat out wrong in saying he wasn't productive.

SenorGato
03-25-2010, 08:01 AM

Rotfl. Bit, you've made some bold statements but this takes the cake.

No, just...no.

Bryant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other WR in this draft AND Crabtree, who was also slower than him. Crabtree had people talking 4.5/4.6 last year...and stop talking about Crabtree's 27 TDs as if Texas Tech's offense had nothing to do with that. Seriously...you're smarter than this stuff...I can understand not like Bryant...it's the crappy logic that's annoying. Thomas isn't so much no production as he is no polish...which is why he's not my #2 WR. WRs rely on being savvy just as much as they do on their athleticism...and Thomas is not NFL savvy yet.

irishbucsfan
03-25-2010, 09:15 AM
I can't believe Tampa getting him at 35 has gone from a reach to a steal without anything happening in between.

bitonti
03-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Bryant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Every other WR in this draft AND Crabtree, who was also slower than him.

until Bryant runs, his timed speed is just a rumor.

so lets review, questionable timed speed, suspended most of the year, can't be bothered to workout at combine or pro day...

I actually wish Dez Bryant were a more reliable prospect... cause he's screwing up my mocks. theres no way to predict where this guy goes.

and as for thomas, 8 TD as a season high is not superior production for a WR coming out of college and the only place he's run that 4.3 40 yard dash is in training on a video camera. HIs draft value is gonna be lower if he doesn't workout... not to say he or bryant are bad players I just question their value.

we talk about crabby, if he worked out he could have gone higher than 10. he could have been a top 5 larry Fitz type of pick.

All things being equal, if choosing between a hurt player with no 40, a suspended player with no 40, and a player who is neither hurt nor suspended and ran a decent 40... which one will these guys take? This is not the internetz these are grown men, mostly conservative, with their jobs on the line.

SenorGato
03-25-2010, 09:57 AM
until Bryant runs, his timed speed is just a rumor.

so lets review, questionable timed speed, suspended most of the year, can't be bothered to workout at combine or pro day...

I actually wish Dez Bryant were a more reliable prospect... cause he's screwing up my mocks. theres no way to predict where this guy goes.

And/or a factor only you seem to care about. Watch Dez Bryant bit. His GAME speed...football speed...w/e you want to call it...just fine.

And you're ignoring way too much stuff on Bryant that has been mentioned many times just to not be part of this herd you think exists. Who cares that he didn't workout at Pro Day or combine but you? He's been working out since his suspension...hence coming into combine at a very solid 225 (10-15 pounds heavier than his '08 playing weight...maybe 7-8 pounds heavier than his 3 game '09 playing weight).

Here's some advice for your mock...put Dez in your top 10 since he's probably going to go there. He's one of the top 5 players in this draft, and if you thought outside the box as much as you think you're doing you'd notice that the only time anyone questioned this during the offseason was during the ultra-slow NFL news month between combine and draft.

we talk about crabby, if he worked out he could have gone higher than 10. he could have been a top 5 larry Fitz type of pick.

...Are you f*ckin...I don't understand your logic...at all. The EXACT same thing could be said about Bryant, except Bryant is bigger, heavier, and probably a hair faster than Crabtree.

All things being equal, if choosing between a hurt player with no 40, a suspended player with no 40, and a player who is neither hurt nor suspended and ran a decent 40... which one will these guys take? This is not the internetz these are grown men, mostly conservative, with their jobs on the line.

I'd take the most talented player, in this case it's the guy with no 40 and a suspension only you seem to buy as legit. That would be common sense, and I'm fairly sure Bryant would allow me to keep my job.

Do they value the public 40 and other workout numbers as much as you in this non-internetz world you speak of? Note the word public please...if you think no team's seen Bryant run then I really can't help you.

BJJ3rd
03-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Todd McShay just talked about Thomas as the guy who is skyrocketing up draft boards right now, and says he wouldn't be surprised at all if he went before Dez Bryant. He doesn't know if he'll go around 10 he said, but as of now he expects him to go no later than the Bengals in the first. This was on ESPN with Mel Kiper.

bitonti
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
And/or a factor only you seem to care about. Watch Dez Bryant bit. His GAME speed...football speed...w/e you want to call it...just fine.

Austin Collie had great football speed too and went round 4. again im not saying I hate Dez Bryant, what I'm saying is it's very difficult to peg down his value... the later in the draft it gets the better value he becomes

as for him in the top 10... theres very few teams that need him... Tb at 3 or KC at 5 maybe but again... that's kinda high for a guy didn't run.

Clarkw267
03-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Austin Collie had great football speed too and went round 4. again im not saying I hate Dez Bryant, what I'm saying is it's very difficult to peg down his value... the later in the draft it gets the better value he becomes

as for him in the top 10... theres very few teams that need him... Tb at 3 or KC at 5 maybe but again... that's kinda high for a guy didn't run.

Do you even believe what your saying?

Maybe if Austin Collie was half the athlete Dez Bryant is, he would've been drafted higher. It's pretty easy to look good catching balls when you have arguably the best QB ever under center.

Bryant is a top 10 talent in the draft.. easily. Name 10 prospects that are better at their positions.

I'll give you Suh, McCoy, Berry, Okung, and possibly Bradford ad Haden. When you start bringing in names like Bulaga, Morgan, Trent Williams... well that's just insane.

FUNBUNCHER
03-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Dez ain't going top 10, I just don't see it. Crabtree had video game stats and tons more film than Dez.

I see him dropping into the late teens/early 20s.

bitonti
03-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Do you even believe what your saying?

Maybe if Austin Collie was half the athlete Dez Bryant is,

film against Georgia isn't proof that Dez Bryant is a good athlete. Austin Collie had fantastic film too. running a 40 is proof.

I'll give you Suh, McCoy, Berry, Okung, and possibly Bradford ad Haden. When you start bringing in names like Bulaga, Morgan, Trent Williams... well that's just insane.

those guys aren't perfect but they didn't get suspended and they did work out.

Clarkw267
03-25-2010, 01:57 PM
film against Georgia isn't proof that Dez Bryant is a good athlete. Austin Collie had fantastic film too. running a 40 is proof.

those guys aren't perfect but they didn't get suspended and they did work out.

You're hopeless man.

You can work out all you want. It comes down to what you can do on the football field. What Dez Bryant can do on the football field is FAR greater than anything Austin Collie can dream about doing.

We've already brought up guys like Crabtree, McGahee, guys who couldn't work out but still were drafted high because of what they looked like on tape. Dez Bryant is a top 5 pick ON TAPE.

Like I said.. name me 10 better prospects than Bryant. And if you have to include guys like Bulaga, Morgan, Anthony Davis.. etc it's a joke. If for some reason Bryant does fall in the draft (By fall I mean lower than #10) whatever team gets him will be very happy.

Ask the Lions how Terry Fair over Randy Moss worked out for them.

PrimetimeTheDon
03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't be overly surprised. He can block, his route running is surprisingly strong, he high-points extremely well, he's very good in traffic, he's good after the catch and he's fast enough.

The kid can ball.

Babylon
03-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Todd McShay just talked about Thomas as the guy who is skyrocketing up draft boards right now, and says he wouldn't be surprised at all if he went before Dez Bryant. He doesn't know if he'll go around 10 he said, but as of now he expects him to go no later than the Bengals in the first. This was on ESPN with Mel Kiper.

First of all it's McShay so let's tone it down right there. I'm not sure if it's a weak WR class that get's Thomas mentioned as the top WR or the fact that it's just internet chatter. The guy has done nothing to improve his stock from the end of the season.

Thomas is a big WR that will not doubt will have a better pro career than college career. He is also a heck of a blocker. On the negative side i question the speed and the hands.

Clarkw267
03-25-2010, 04:58 PM
First of all it's McShay so let's tone it down right there. I'm not sure if it's a weak WR class that get's Thomas mentioned as the top WR or the fact that it's just internet chatter. The guy has done nothing to improve his stock from the end of the season.

Thomas is a big WR that will not doubt will have a better pro career than college career. He is also a heck of a blocker. On the negative side i question the speed and the hands.

I think it's the fact that people are getting a chance to sit down and see more of him, and just how explosive he is. The guy is a physical freak.

bitonti
03-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Like I said.. name me 10 better prospects than Bryant

easy...

Suh
McCoy
Okung
Berry
Bradford

Haden
Spiller
McClain
B Graham
Clausen

and Bulaga ;)

Babylon
03-25-2010, 05:16 PM
I think it's the fact that people are getting a chance to sit down and see more of him, and just how explosive he is. The guy is a physical freak.

I wasnt aware he was running again, has he been able to run the 40?

BJJ3rd
03-25-2010, 05:59 PM
First of all it's McShay so let's tone it down right there.

Just sharing what i heard.

LonghornsLegend
03-25-2010, 07:47 PM
easy...

Suh
McCoy
Okung
Berry
Bradford

Haden
Spiller
McClain
B Graham
Clausen

and Bulaga ;)

For arguments sake I'd give you the bolded, but guys like Spiller, & Graham are questionable. Jimmy Clausen and McClain? Yea right....Haden? Try again. There are numerous reports of how teams have Kyle Wilson rated higher then him right now and he's far from an elite prospect at this point.

SenorGato
03-25-2010, 10:23 PM

The Jaguars at 10, unless that whole Tebow thing happens. The Browns at 7 would love him...Buffalo would love him...he'd be what they thought Owens would be for their offense, and he'd finally take some pressure of Evans...TB at 3...KC at 5...the Rams would definitely love him if they could land McNabb...Seattle's dying for a playmaker on offense AND still believes in MH AND just treated a 3rd for Whitehurst....Oakland might do it just because they might do anything...

Sooo yea....basically everyone in the top 10 but the Lions could be looking at Bryant. Like Crabtree last year, I don't think he gets past 10 and he could go as high as 2 if the Rams got McNabb.