PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Else Not Impressed By This Year's OT Crop?

DeathbyStat
03-16-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm just not really that sold on any of this year's offensive tackles

Russell Okung is solid and looks great at times but was dominated by Von Miller of Texas A&M a fine speed rusher.

Bulaga might be better on the right side and its not a good value to take a right tackle in the top ten. Also he was dominated by Brandon Graham.

Trent Williams proved at the combine that he is more athletic than most people gave him credit for but his best position might be on the right side.

Anthony Davis has questionable work ethic.

I don't feel Vladimir Ducasse or Iupati are going to play tackle in the NFL.

Bruce Campbell is terrible on tape.

Jared Veldheer is a massive guy but has short arms.

Who could be a sleeper at the end of round one that could outperform the rest of these guys?

Charles Brown?

Selvish Capers?

killxswitch
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Charles Brown turned out to be the best.

I think the class is deep but it doesn't have many or possibly any elite prospects.

Splat
03-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Ask me again in three years.

Matthew Jones
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
This is probably a case of a bunch of solid starters at right tackle and Okung being the only real stud left tackle but I think right tackle is getting to be very undervalued. Most teams now are geared towards passing and stopping the pass, and as a result most teams (especially good ones) have quality pass rushers on both sides of the ball. The best way to combat that is to have quality pass protectors on both ends of your offensive line. You can't really neglect the right side.

umphrey
03-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree...kind of. I feel like it's a good group it's just really hard to figure out who to like. I bet there are a couple pro bowlers and a couple guys out of the league of the top 10 or so.

Babylon
03-16-2010, 01:36 PM
I think Okung, Bulaga and Williams proved over their careers and at the combine that they are all capable of being very good pro tackles and the first two can definitely play LT. Others like Davis and Campbell have a lot to offer and Brown is probably the sleeper of that group but he has probably been talked up too much because he's played at SC. Dont see any Walter Jones or Joe Thomas types but i'd say average to above average as a group.

J-Mike88
03-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if Charles Brown turned out to be the best.

Good call. I wouldn't be too surprised.
Like Vernon Davis from Maryland, I would not be shocked to see the super physical speciman Bruce Campbell struggle initially, but eventually blossom into a perennial Pro-Bowler. The physical skills, like VD, are special. It's just a matter of desire and work ethic.

I think Campbell has lit a fire and he truely desires greatness now. He probably has the most upside of them all, with big Anthony.

stephenson86
03-16-2010, 02:17 PM
i agree with you, i reckon it is extremely deep but i dont think there are any elite talents

energizerbunny
03-16-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't understand why People Don't think Buluga can be an elite OT, he has every single tool he needs to be a very good LT...

People said the same things about Jake Long.

Anthony Davis is the most overrated OT in the draft, he is a one pop daddy and doesn't have the balance to play on the right side. He is also quite a waist bender.

Prowler
03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
von miller has still never gotten a sack against oklahoma state. so i wouldn't say okung was dominated. he is getting seriously disrespected. i don't know how much better he needs to have played.

Widely considered as the nation's top offensive lineman, Okung leads all Oklahoma State players with 46 consecutive starts entering the Cowboys' Cotton Bowl date with Ole Miss and through 12 games this season, he has 127 knockdown blocks and 58 domination blocks. With 836 snaps played this year, Okung has allowed only one sack and has yielded only two quarterback pressures.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1133637

descendency
03-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I like the class a lot.

Brothgar
03-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Outside of Williams and Okung I'm not a huge fan of this class but the OT class is not nearly as bad as the QB class.

killxswitch
03-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Outside of Williams and Okung I'm not a huge fan of this class but the OT class is not nearly as bad as the QB class.

Agreed for sure. But I think it's easier for a QB draft class to be on one extreme or the other just by nature of the position. In a weak OT year you at least have some guys who might make good guards or versatile backups. If you have a weak QB class you have a bunch of practice squad players and future real estate salesmen.

RealityCheck
03-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Vlad will be a multiple time Pro Bowler, I'm telling you guys.

umphrey
03-16-2010, 02:56 PM
This guard class is absolutely phenomenal assuming the college tackles with the skillsets of an NFL guard move over, such as Vlad and Ciron Black. Not to mention Iupati the best pure guard prospect to come along in awhile.

LizardState
03-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I think Okung is underwhelming, too tall & plays too tall, at OLT the NFL speedrushers will eat him alive. He's the most overrated of many overrated O-linemen in this draft class.

Best of the lot for OTs, all things considered, is Bulaga, got to love that Iowa program for producing NFL-quality OL

V.I.P
03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Did Von Miller declare ??

Halsey
03-16-2010, 03:45 PM
Many of the criticisms I'm reading occur for lineman every year:

"He might be better on the right side"

There are people who say that about every LT prospect every year. Sometimes said player ends up at RT and sometimes those concerns look silly in the long run.

"He got beat by such and such player in the game vs whoever"

Another criticism that gets brought up every year for top lineman. Remember all the "but Jake Long got owned by Vernon Gholston and Derrick Harvey!" talk a couple of years ago.

and so on. I'll tell you what I think, and it always ruffles some feathers: Most fans don't know as much about scouting O-lineman as they think they do. Unless you are pouring over hours of game tape repeatedly and focusing on the LOS instead of the ball, it's pretty hard to scout O-lineman. Personally, I find it easier to admit I don't scout O-lineman and just hope the team I root for is good at it.

yourfavestoner
03-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Many of the criticisms I'm reading occur for lineman every year:

"He might be better on the right side"

There are people who say that about every LT prospect every year. Sometimes said player ends up at RT and sometimes those concerns look silly in the long run.

"He got beat by such and such player in the game vs whoever"

Another criticism that gets brought up every year for top lineman. Remember all the "but Jake Long got owned by Vernon Gholston and Derrick Harvey!" talk a couple of years ago.

and so on. I'll tell you what I think, and it always ruffles some feathers: Most fans don't know as much about scouting O-lineman as they think they do. Unless you are pouring over hours of game tape repeatedly and focusing on the LOS instead of the ball, it's pretty hard to scout O-lineman. Personally, I find it easier to admit I don't scout O-lineman and just hope the team I root for is good at it.

Bingo.

I played offensive line in high school, so I kind of have some insight to it. The technique is just so different from high school to college to pros, though, that it makes it difficult.

I just try to note a few things while watching them:
a) is he a mauler or is he a tactician? does he move his man in the run game by simply overpowering him or by taking proper steps and positioning himself correctly?
b) how is his hand punch?
c) does he get low from bending at his waist or sinking his hips?
d) how quickly does he kick-step in pass pro? does he make short, quick, choppy steps to get to his destination, or does he leave himself unbalanced by overextending?

Michigan
03-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Bad example. Gholston got a sack but was quiet the rest of the game, and Harvey did nothing. No player in this year's crop is as consistent as the Gallerys, Thomases, and Longs of years past.

yourfavestoner
03-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Bad example. Gholston got a sack but was quiet the rest of the game, and Harvey did nothing. No player in this year's crop is as consistent as the Gallerys, Thomases, and Longs of years past.

Or Eugene Monroe.
;)

no bare feet
03-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Did Von Miller declare ??

He is a great OT prospect. . .
I like this class a lot, it may not be top heavy but a lot of very solid prospects who will be starters on either side of the QB

Halsey
03-16-2010, 04:32 PM

It's not a bad example at all because I'm repeating what other people were saying. I wasn't saying it as if it were my criticism of Long. Trust me, I was hoping hard that Long went to the Falcons. Glad I didn't get my wish.

gsorace
03-16-2010, 04:40 PM
I like all of the 1st round OTs from last year better than any of the OTs in this years class.

LizardState
03-16-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan

Or Eugene Monroe.

Or D'Brickashaw.

tjsunstein
03-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Vlad will be a multiple time Pro Bowler, I'm telling you guys.

Maybe at guard...

IndyColtScout
03-16-2010, 06:17 PM
It doesn't have All Pro or Ryan Clady type rookies, but I think there are quite a few guys who will be solid as in above average LT's and then maybe 1 or 2 few time pro bowler. Don't see any HOF but who knows someone from the 5 or 6th could end up being the next Boselli ala Tom Brady type pick.

superfly69
03-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Actually I think it is pretty good near the top. A little weak through the 2nd and 3rd round range, but your going to find good value in the 4th and 5th round with some of these guys.

energizerbunny
03-16-2010, 10:41 PM
It doesn't have All Pro or Ryan Clady type rookies, but I think there are quite a few guys who will be solid as in above average LT's and then maybe 1 or 2 few time pro bowler. Don't see any HOF but who knows someone from the 5 or 6th could end up being the next Boselli ala Tom Brady type pick.

Ryan Clady, wasn't thought of as "Ryan Clady type rookie" when he was drafted.... He wasn't expected to have the crazy impact he did his rookie year.

I actually thought Clady as a litte under developed through his lower body and didn't think he would have the early successes he has experienced.

I think if anyone will be as good as Ryan (doubtful) it will be Russell Okung, who doesn't have an overpowering lower body but is a great athlete, crap loads of starting experience on the leftside and great feet (his recovery step is amongst the best i've seen in scouting college tackles in the past 10 years)

GoRavens
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
This years tackle class is pretty solid, so this thread seems a little pointless to me...
You got two complete, high grade players aka Okung, & Trent Williams.
You got the workout warrior with tons of potential aka Bruce Campbell.
You got the aggressive, undersized white guy aka Bulaga.
You got the overrated guy who might stink up the pros aka Anthony Davis.
- The top 5 this year will all be gone in round 1.

Supporting Caste
03-17-2010, 12:54 AM
I would take Okung over every OT since Joe Thomas. The one hindsight retraction being Clady.

I think Bulaga is a solid top 12 talent at either spot, and I'm a goddamn fanboy if we're talking Trent Williams at RT. He's gonna DESTROY EVERYTHING.

Anthony Davis is a turd. Maybe he'll stop being a turd, I dunno.

Me Likey Rookies
03-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Going off tape (ignoring Combine and offseason stuff), I have Okung and Davis as the top 2 guys. Both top 10 picks and LTs in the league.

Bulaga is a great prospect but definitley more of a RT (my 3rd tackle and top 15 value). Trent Williams is a big enigma to me. I was not impressed with him at LT at all but he is an amazing RT/OG prospect (top 20 value). I do not understand Williams going in the top 10, but then again Andre Smith went top 10 as a RT (but Smith was a much better prospect).

If you need a LT and the top 3 guys are gone, do you take the better player in Williams or the better fit at LT in Charles Brown, Bruce Campbell, etc?

OaklandRaider56
03-17-2010, 04:09 AM
Williams is just average. Strictly a RT and I'm not sure he'll ever be very good in recognizing blitzs or handling better pass rushers. Okung's an elite player, on Ryan Clady's prospect level for sure. Jason Fox is under rated, I think he'll be a good LT.. A damn good LT. Bulaga's a better athlete than he's given credit for and has the best technique of any other OT. Anthony Davis should be a OG, I see him thriving there. Other than Okung, Bulaga, and Fox I see mediocrity and maybe some decent starters.

killxswitch
03-17-2010, 08:12 AM
You got the aggressive, undersized white guy aka Bulaga.

I didn't know 6'5 and 315 lbs. was "undersized".

GoRavens
03-17-2010, 08:52 AM
I didn't know 6'5 and 315 lbs. was "undersized".

Sorry.
I was talking about his little short arms that are undersized.

Addict
03-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Sorry.
I was talking about his little short arms that are undersized.

he's no gorilla but his arms aren't so short it'll be any kind of problem. You're mistaking your personal bias against the player with actual problems in his measurables.

Larry121283
03-17-2010, 04:33 PM
I think it is a good class, with a lot of depth (the OL in general has a lot of players that could play in the league), I'm just unsure how good of a class it is overall...I don't think it is as good as the last two, but we could easily see 6 OTs go in the first round, and 8 linemen overall.

I like Okung and think he is a really solid, safe tackle prospect. He gets a Chris Samuels like grade from me.

Then you go on to Bulaga...I like him, but I get the vibe he'll be better on the right side...Anthony Davis has issues between the ears...Trent Williams was not very good last year and saw his best time at RT...Vlad Ducasse I think is a guard at the next level...Bruce Campbell is good, I think he is undervalued, but he needs to work on technique, I think he has left tackle potential, but could also be Kwame Harris...Charles Brown is a nice player on the left side but you question what his ceiling is...Veldheer might find a spot on the right side of the line as a guard or tackle because he has short arms...Ciron Black is probably a guard...Jason Fox has serious health issues...Tony Washington is a sex offender, but has talent...

Just lots of questions in the group after Okung. I think there are a lot of good players potentially though.