PDA

View Full Version : Brian Price, DT UCLA

Rosebud
03-18-2010, 01:14 AM
Is he really falling? If so how far could he fall? I'd love to have this kid at 15, a young junior who was this dominant with his explosiveness and strength, but apparently he'll be going much later than that. Why are people down on him? And is there any chance in hell he falls to the middle of the second round?

TACKLE
03-18-2010, 01:36 AM
I think his fall is a result of the fact that he can really only play one position in one scheme - the three technique in a 4-3. He can be a great 3-tech with his explosiveness and ability to be disruptive in the backfield. But with about half of NFL teams running a 3-4, it really narrows down the number of teams that would be interested in Price. So if he gets past a team like the Giants, he may fall a bit until because he isn't a fit for a lot of teams. It's not so much that his stock is falling, its just he may slide in the draft because he can only play one position.

RaiderNation
03-18-2010, 01:38 AM
Really interested in him not, I thought he was more of a UT but Scott likes him as a 4-3 NT. Would be great next to Seymour/Kelly for us. Wouldnt mind trading down from 8 or trading up from the 2nd to snag him.

Rosebud
03-18-2010, 01:46 AM
I think his fall is a result of the fact that he can really only play one position in one scheme - the three technique in a 4-3. He can be a great 3-tech with his explosiveness and ability to be disruptive in the backfield. But with about half of NFL teams running a 3-4, it really narrows down the number of teams that would be interested in Price. So if he gets past a team like the Giants, he may fall a bit until because he isn't a fit for a lot of teams. It's not so much that his stock is falling, its just he may slide in the draft because he can only play one position.

I understand that he's a poor 3-4 fit, but in a 4-3 he's dynamite at either spot, he's crazy explosive out of his stance and has great strength to get off blocks or to control lineman. So I wouldn't say he can only play one position, I mena hell McCoy can only play one position he'll be a top 3 pick. Price has just as much potential as McCoy with better versatility because of that wonderful strength at his size, and it's not like he never showed it on the field, kid was pretty damn dominant.

TACKLE
03-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Really interested in him not, I thought he was more of a UT but Scott likes him as a 4-3 NT. Would be great next to Seymour/Kelly for us. Wouldnt mind trading down from 8 or trading up from the 2nd to snag him.

I really don't like him as a 4-3 NT. For the most part, teams go with a NT and a UT. But some teams go more with a LDT and a RDT system. In the second one, Price could fit in just fine as he does what you want a DT to do. But in a defense that has specific roles for the 1-tech and the 3-tech, it really doesn't make an sense to me to play him as the nose. Although he is stout and could be a guy who eats up blocks, he's not great and shedding blocks with his hands which is a must for a NT in any defense. It would also limit Price's greatest strength which is his explosiveness off the line and his ability to penetrate into the backfield. Not sure what the Raiders do but either way, the need a disruptive force inside when Seymour is out at End.

TACKLE
03-18-2010, 01:53 AM
So I wouldn't say he can only play one position, I mena hell McCoy can only play one position he'll be a top 3 pick. Price has just as much potential as McCoy with better versatility because of that wonderful strength at his size, and it's not like he never showed it on the field, kid was pretty damn dominant.

McCoy has played every single position on the D-Line during his career at Oklahoma. He played everything from a DE in a 4-3 to a NT in a 3-man front. He has great versatility which is one of the reasons he's so appealing.

Brian Price's skill set is not what is limiting him schematically. It's his height and his short arms.

PACKmanN
03-18-2010, 02:00 AM

that idea failed when KC tried it when Dorsey, who is a similar prospect and player to Price. Both are UTs.

Rosebud
03-18-2010, 03:10 AM
McCoy has played every single position on the D-Line during his career at Oklahoma. He played everything from a DE in a 4-3 to a NT in a 3-man front. He has great versatility which is one of the reasons he's so appealing.

Brian Price's skill set is not what is limiting him schematically. It's his height and his short arms.

McCoy may have played every position at Oklahoma but he won't in the NFL, he's as much stuck to 4-3 UT as Price. I completely agree that Price is a poor 3-4 fit, but so is McCoy. And in a 4-3 McCoy is much more of a penetrator and frankly that's just fine since asking him to do anything else would be a waste of his talent, so I don't see how the restriction to one position, which I don't think is the case with price, is that much of an issue for one prospect but not the other.

that idea failed when KC tried it when Dorsey, who is a similar prospect and player to Price. Both are UTs.

The chiefs run a 3-4 not a 4-3. That said Dorsey and Price isn't the best comparison Sed Ellis from that draft is a much better fit.

BRAVEHEART
03-18-2010, 05:26 AM
McCoy may have played every position at Oklahoma but he won't in the NFL, he's as much stuck to 4-3 UT as Price. I completely agree that Price is a poor 3-4 fit, but so is McCoy. And in a 4-3 McCoy is much more of a penetrator and frankly that's just fine since asking him to do anything else would be a waste of his talent, so I don't see how the restriction to one position, which I don't think is the case with price, is that much of an issue for one prospect but not the other.

The chiefs run a 3-4 not a 4-3. That said Dorsey and Price isn't the best comparison Sed Ellis from that draft is a much better fit.

Price is a bigger and better athlete. With that said, Sed had some very advanced technique for any college player at his posistion. I'd say Dorsey is a fairer comparison than sed is.

draftguru151
03-18-2010, 06:45 AM
Price is a lot closer to Ellis than Dorsey, both in body type and in terms of play. All three guys are explosive off the snap but Dorsey was a penetrator in college, Ellis and Price both use the explosiveness to get on the OL quicker and then use power. They are extremely similar, though Ellis is definitely ahead as a prospect. Price is definitely a guy that has gotten over looked for some reason, I still have him as the 3rd DT in this class and he's a guy I like at both DT spots in a 4-3, but at nose a bit more.

wicket
03-18-2010, 06:52 AM
I actually want him to the saints pretty bad, combining him with sed would be pretty sweet, also allows for a nice rotation since both can play the nose and both can play UT. So depending on the opponent you only need a 3 man DT rotation with (depending the opponent again) an extra UT in the rotation for passing opponents or an extra NT in the rotation for rushing opponents.

coordinator0
03-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Price would look pretty nice in purple and black next season. Definitely the type of lineman the Ravens need right now.

fear the elf
03-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Price would look pretty nice in purple and black next season. Definitely the type of lineman the Ravens need right now.

Where would you play him?

coordinator0
03-18-2010, 08:10 AM
At UT. We are moving to a 4-3 and our DC usually only rushes 4 guys. Suggs/Ngata/Price/(Johnson or Kruger) would be my guess as to the line, with Pryce rotating in at UT and LDE.

killxswitch
03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
If Price were there at 31 I doubt the Colts would pass on him. No way will he fall to the 2nd.

fear the elf
03-18-2010, 08:50 AM
At UT. We are moving to a 4-3 and our DC usually only rushes 4 guys. Suggs/Ngata/Price/(Johnson or Kruger) would be my guess as to the line, with Pryce rotating in at UT and LDE.

Ahh, I didn't know that. Than, yeah, I think he'd be great for you guys... so don't get him, plz!

RWills
03-18-2010, 09:21 AM
I can see this guy go as high as 15 to NY, other teams that could take him would be Houston, Cincy, Indy. I doubt he falls past St Louis 2nd round pick if they go Bradford. Trade Carricker to Was or NE for more picks and play him next to Clifton Ryan

yourfavestoner
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
I love that so many teams are running a 3-4 now. True 4-3 prospects are going to start falling to later rounds now and will be major steals.

bigbuc
03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
I want this guy on Tampa. Blows up plays in the backfield and thats what you want in this system.

brasho
03-18-2010, 07:25 PM

I like my 3-techs to be a lot more explosive. Not all UTs can run 4.7s like Sapp and Tommie Harris but Price ran a 5.15 and that shows a definite lack of elite athleticism Glenn Dorsey was supposed to be an elite UT prospect but then ran close to a 5.2 and the only thing he's been able to penetrate is his way into the doghouse.

I was really liking Price but when he came up too slow and when I saw his skinny little legs at the combine I had to drop him down quite a bit.

Give me Lamarr Houston any day.

Rosebud
03-18-2010, 07:33 PM
I like my 3-techs to be a lot more explosive. Not all UTs can run 4.7s like Sapp and Tommie Harris but Price ran a 5.15 and that shows a definite lack of elite athleticism Glenn Dorsey was supposed to be an elite UT prospect but then ran close to a 5.2 and the only thing he's been able to penetrate is his way into the doghouse.

I was really liking Price but when he came up too slow and when I saw his skinny little legs at the combine I had to drop him down quite a bit.

His 10 yard split was just barely slower, like .01 seconds slower, than Houston's if I remember correctly, plus if you look at the film he's just as explosive as Houston, if not more so. No one in their right mind gives two shits about 40 times for tackles.

As for Glenn Dorsey, are you cereal? He's been stuck in a 3-4, a scheme I've pointed out would be a bad fit for a guy like Price in most posts in this thread, and has still done well enough for KC to be happy with him and Jackson playing the 5-tech.

This just an all around bad post.

RWills
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Houston is a freak, former RB I think he is going to be one of the top DT's from this draft 5 years from now.

TACKLE
03-18-2010, 08:07 PM

I get the impression you haven't seen Brian Price play. He has the best first step of any DT (Gerald McCoy could give him a run for his money but I'd still go with Price) in this class. He whole game is based off his initial explosiveness and because of this, he is a dominant penetrator who is constantly on the other side of the line of scrimmage. I don't care what his forty time was, his explosion on tape is exceptional.

themaninblack
03-19-2010, 01:47 AM
I'm really hoping he is our first round pick. I think he would fit in nicely with Domata Peko, Tank Johnson, and Pat Sims.

Me Likey Rookies
03-19-2010, 02:26 AM
I would love an explanation from Scott Wright and Mayock why they have him so low in the rankings. (He is not a top 5 DT for either of them).

thetedginnshow
03-19-2010, 02:27 AM
I don't think he's a bad fit for every 3-4. I think he'd do just fine in the Jets' scheme.

prock
03-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Can someone explain to me why he is considered by some to be a good NT prospect in the 4-3?

Rosebud
03-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Can someone explain to me why he is considered by some to be a good NT prospect in the 4-3?

A short and stout frame with great upper body strength who is really explosive out of his stance.

PACKmanN
03-19-2010, 10:22 AM

not during Dorsey's rookie year.

Rosebud
03-19-2010, 10:41 AM
not during Dorsey's rookie year.

Yeah, but as you said, that was his rookie year, and a lot of rookie DTs struggle to adjust to the NFL especially on a DL as ****** as the chiefs' was.

zachsaints52
03-19-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm really hoping he is our first round pick. I think he would fit in nicely with Domata Peko, Tank Johnson, and Pat Sims.

I think because you already have the depth at DT you wouldn't look at him.

I get the impression you haven't seen Brian Price play. He has the best first step of any DT (Gerald McCoy could give him a run for his money but I'd still go with Price) in this class. He whole game is based off his initial explosiveness and because of this, he is a dominant penetrator who is constantly on the other side of the line of scrimmage. I don't care what his forty time was, his explosion on tape is exceptional.

Don't forget how bad-a he was at the bowl game going without a shirt during warmups. ;)

themaninblack
03-19-2010, 03:10 PM
I think because you already have the depth at DT you wouldn't look at him.

IDK, we did just lock up Tank for four more years but I get the feeling that they would like to get another contributor in there. Plus, I think the value is right for him at 21 though we could go a lot of different ways.

superfly69
03-19-2010, 03:48 PM
I can see him as an end in a 3-4 defense. He is very athletic and has good speed and great explosion so I don't see why he couldn't play end. He is a little undersized for the NT position but so is Jay Ratliff for the Cowboys and he plays with so much leverage he is still effective. If he fell to Dallas at #27, knowing Wade Phillips love for DT's I could see him going there.

prock
03-19-2010, 05:02 PM
I always thought he would be a ****** pick for the Vikes because of his size and I didn't think he could play NT in a 3-4, but I have watched tape on him for a solid 20 minutes and I really really like this guy, and if the Vikes picked him up at the end of the first, I would be very happy. Him and Kevin could destroy people.

yourfavestoner
03-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I can see him as an end in a 3-4 defense. He is very athletic and has good speed and great explosion so I don't see why he couldn't play end. He is a little undersized for the NT position but so is Jay Ratliff for the Cowboys and he plays with so much leverage he is still effective. If he fell to Dallas at #27, knowing Wade Phillips love for DT's I could see him going there.

Ratliff's the exception to the small NT rule. The only reason he even works there is because the Cowboys run a 1-gap, slanting 3-4 instead of a more traditional 2-gap scheme. I think the general consensus of most Cowboy fans on the board is that he'd flourish even more as an end.

superfly69
03-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Ratliff's the exception to the small NT rule. The only reason he even works there is because the Cowboys run a 1-gap, slanting 3-4 instead of a more traditional 2-gap scheme. I think the general consensus of most Cowboy fans on the board is that he'd flourish even more as an end.

Exactly my point. And I view Price as the same kind of player, which is why I think he can play both end and tackle in a 3-4 scheme, and why I think Dallas might draft him if he is available.