PDA

View Full Version : Bataan Memorial

senormysterioso
03-18-2010, 09:30 PM
I was going to post this in the random discussion thread, but I decided that the Bataan Bastards more than deserved a thread of their own. I'm heading to White Sands, New Mexico to participate in the Bataan Memorial Death March.

History of the Bataan Death March (http://www.bataanmarch.com/r09/history.htm)

I encourage you to read up a little about the death march and think about the guys that were forced to endure it. I can't wait to meet the survivors this weekend.

Shahin
03-19-2010, 01:13 AM
Good fro you. My brother participated in the Bataan Death March Memorial march last year.

CJSchneider
03-19-2010, 10:11 AM
I was going to post this in the random discussion thread, but I decided that the Bataan Bastards more than deserved a thread of their own. I'm heading to White Sands, New Mexico to participate in the Bataan Memorial Death March.

History of the Bataan Death March (http://www.bataanmarch.com/r09/history.htm)

I encourage you to read up a little about the death march and think about the guys that were forced to endure it. I can't wait to meet the survivors this weekend.

No mama, no papa and no Uncle Sam.

Are you stationed at White Sands?

tjsunstein
03-19-2010, 10:35 AM
That's awesome man, enjoy the cause. I read the link you posted. I had no idea of it until now.

The_Dude
03-19-2010, 02:13 PM
A couple of years ago I went to the local legion and watched a survivor of the march/pow camp speak about his experiences. there were also a vet who served on the USS Ward ("the first shot club") and a fighter pilot who served in the pacific. they all had incredible stories to share. it was a fantastic experience.

enjoy your experience.

senormysterioso
03-19-2010, 07:40 PM
No mama, no papa and no Uncle Sam.

Are you stationed at White Sands?

No, me and a few guys from my unit were lucky enough to get orders to come down and participate.

senormysterioso
03-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Just finished the Bataan. It was pretty brutal. I don't think I've ever been as sore as i am now in my entire life. 26.2 miles, 14 miles uphill, soft sand, 50 lbs on my back...i'm smoked

The Unseen
03-21-2010, 09:48 PM
My dad's an amateur runner (he's not good at all but likes to run in 5ks and such) and he's mentioned this to me. Great job man.

CJSchneider
03-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Just finished the Bataan. It was pretty brutal. I don't think I've ever been as sore as i am now in my entire life. 26.2 miles, 14 miles uphill, soft sand, 50 lbs on my back...i'm smoked

Moleskin is your friend.