PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Give Me the Scoop on Jarrett Brown?

Ness
03-19-2010, 01:41 AM
I didn't find any threads on him, but I heard he had a decent outing at both the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine. Is this true? What are your opinions on him? He only has a year of starting experience so my first guess is that he would be a major, major "project". But to those who have seen him play has he shown flashes of potential? Does he have huge accuracy issues?

superman
03-19-2010, 02:16 AM
if pat white can be a 2nd rounder, i don't see why this guy can't. he's actually more of a qb.

and ran faster.

K Train
03-19-2010, 02:18 AM
brown>white

hes a good Qb and not a "major major" project....thats tebow. i think brown is surprising polished, not great but pretty decent and was the best QB at the senior bowl hands down

JHL6719
03-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Yeah...Pat White was the best QB at the senior bowl too.....ask him how that's working out for him....

The fact that Brown couldn't beat out White at WV is actually more concerning than anything to me......combined with the fact that I cant get his 4 INT game against Auburn out of my head......it was awful.....he was throwing INT's on screen passes for pete's sake...

1 year starting experience in a system that doesn't translate to the NFL in the first place.....color me uninspired.......late round project at best...

K Train
03-19-2010, 03:23 AM
im not saying a day one starter and the fact that he didnt beat out white was cause white was winning games....white+slaton+devine=nasty

brown is a better prospect than white who was never much of a passer, but a nice addition to miamis bs wildcat offense

brown projects to the pros better than white, its just how i feel and you knwo what i do think pat white has an "nfl arm" hes just raw as **** and tiny

JHL6719
03-19-2010, 03:29 AM
I actually do think that Brown is more of "NFL" quarterback prospect than White was......but that's not saying much.....I didn't view Pat White as a legitimate QB prospect AT ALL...

Problem with White is.....he can't grip the football....his hands are too small...and he can't see over the offensive line in front of him.....

...and he did virtually nothing in the Wildcat package.....that's Ronnie Brown's package....

One thing about White though....that little sucker has heart....he won't hesitate to hit it up in there and take on linebackers....even if a stiff breeze brings him down.....bad draft pick #44 overall...

Ness
03-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Hopefully Brown is a hard worker and goes to a team that will know how to develop him so he has a chance in the NFL.

stephenson86
03-19-2010, 09:26 AM
id like him to work behind vince young

draftguru151
03-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah...Pat White was the best QB at the senior bowl too.....ask him how that's working out for him....

The fact that Brown couldn't beat out White at WV is actually more concerning than anything to me......combined with the fact that I cant get his 4 INT game against Auburn out of my head......it was awful.....he was throwing INT's on screen passes for pete's sake...

1 year starting experience in a system that doesn't translate to the NFL in the first place.....color me uninspired.......late round project at best...

Pat White was one of the best players in college football when he was playing, not beating him out definitely isn't a bad thing. The fact that they tried to get Brown on the field while White was there is pretty telling of Brown's talent.

As for Brown as a prospect, he has really good physical tools, pretty strong arm and great legs, nice throwing motion and mechanics in general. That said, not much experience and played in a spread offense so he is definitely a project. Fifth rounds seems about right for him.

JFLO
03-19-2010, 10:02 AM

Are you serious?

What coach is going to bench Pat White? He is arguably the greatest quarterback or player to play at WVU.

Personally, I think Jarret Brown is the 4th best quarterback in the class. He'll need to sit for a couple years, but he has the potential to be a starer at the next level. He's a steal for whoever picks him up.

JHL6719
03-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Are you serious?

What coach is going to bench Pat White? He is arguably the greatest quarterback or player to play at WVU.

Personally, I think Jarret Brown is the 4th best quarterback in the class. He'll need to sit for a couple years, but he has the potential to be a starer at the next level. He's a steal for whoever picks him up.

Dead serious.....

It's not about benching Pat White.....it's about Jarrett Brown not being able to beat him out....

Jarrett Brown is far from a steal in my opinion......agree to disagree on this one...

Levi Brown, Tony Pike, Tim Hiller, Mike Kafka, >>>> Jarrett Brown

superman
03-19-2010, 10:15 AM
it's like when brantley comes out and is a better pro prospect than tebow

are people going to say "oh he couldn't even beat out tebow in college"

keylime_5
03-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Pat White was starting since he was a freshman and was one of the best players in the country all four years he was at WVU, probably the best ever at WVU. Only a stiff couldn't beat that guy out, pfft.

NGSeiler
03-19-2010, 10:20 AM
The fact that Brown couldn't beat out White at WV is actually more concerning than anything to me
Pat White was one of the best players in college football when he was playing, not beating him out definitely isn't a bad thing. The fact that they tried to get Brown on the field while White was there is pretty telling of Brown's talent.
Are you serious?

Thank you. Anyone who watched Pat White operate in the West Virginia offense knew why Jarrett Brown had to wait a while before taking the reigns of that team, and it was no slight to Jarrett.

As for Brown's pro potential, I think he has the physical tools you need to succeed at the next level. More experience and polish learning as a back-up for a few seasons will be vital. He'll need to find a way to be more consistent as a passer, but the tools are there to work with.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go in the late third or fourth round, depending on how NFL teams view the rest of the rest of this quarterback class.

JHL6719
03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
It's concerning.....that's all I said....it's not THE determining factor......either way, Brown is a project at quarterback IMO....

Hell....Trent Richardson can't beat out Mark Ingram.....but Richardson is the better back...and better NFL prospect...

Greg McElroy couldn't beat out John Parker Wilson....and JPW left Bama with every significant school passing record.....but McElroy is the better NFL prospect....

We'll see.....that's the beauty of it....

ElectricEye
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Pat White was the best spread option, running quarterback in the past decade, in all likelyhood. He's a much more effective quarterback in that offense, and he was starting since he was a freshmen. The fact that Jarrett Brown "didn't beat him out" is absolutely irrelevant to his pro prospects. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but you can't use that argument at all. Sorry. Just doesn't work. Your examples aren't particularly good either. Nice .......'s too.

EvilNixon
03-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Pat White was the best spread option, running quarterback in the past decade, in all likelyhood.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj248/sbriverdawgs12/VY.jpg

JHL6719
03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Pat White was the best spread option, running quarterback in the past decade, in all likelyhood. He's a much more effective quarterback in that offense, and he was starting since he was a freshmen. The fact that Jarrett Brown "didn't beat him out" is absolutely irrelevant to his pro prospects. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but you can't use that argument at all. Sorry. Just doesn't work. Your examples aren't particularly good either. Nice .......'s too.

I was watching Pat White in the state playoffs at Daphne before Rich Rod even knew who he was.....he ended up being a great college football player and a perfect fit for Rich Rod's "system"....and the fact that Tubberville wouldn't give him a shot at QB is likely what ended up costing him his job in the long run if you want to get right down to it....

However.....spread option quarterbacks don't get it done in the NFL.....and the fact that Brown was stuck behind a future CFL'er and couldn't get on the field because of him is probably less of a factor than what the real issue is (although it's still concerning for me).....the real issue is that he only has 1 year starting experience in an offense that doesn't translate to the NFL....and never has....

ElectricEye
03-19-2010, 10:45 AM
I was watching Pat White in the state playoffs at Daphne before Rich Rod even knew who he was.....he ended up being a great college football player and a perfect fit for Rich Rod's "system"....and the fact that Tubberville wouldn't give him a shot at QB is likely what ended up costing him his job in the long run if you want to get right down to it....

However.....spread option quarterbacks don't get it done in the NFL.....and the fact that Brown was stuck behind a future CFL'er and couldn't get on the field because of him is probably less of a factor than what the real issue is (although it's still concerning for me).....the real issue is that he only has 1 year starting experience in an offense that doesn't translate to the NFL....and never has....

Those are legit concerns, I agree completely. But the fact that he couldn't beat Pat White out really is not. I don't think Sam Bradford would have beaten out Pat White at West Virginia.

BuddyCHRIST
03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Your really not making a whole lot of sense, him not beating Pat White out in a spread offense has nothing to do with him being a PRO prospect.

That said, Brown is a big time project. He is really just physical tools, because he's very inexperienced and any experience he has is in a spread offense. He's a late rounder if you want to spend 3 years developing him.

MizzouBig12
03-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Pat White was the best spread option, running quarterback in the past decade, in all likelyhood. Dan LeFevour, anyone?

ElectricEye
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Dan LeFevour, anyone?

Different type of players. LeFevour(and Tebow too) were more passers that can run. White was a runner that could pass. His pass attempt to rush attempt ratio were vastly different than Tebow/Lefevour.

MizzouBig12
03-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Dan Lefevour:
Rushing
Year Games Rushes Yards Average Touchdowns
2006 14 123 521 4.0 7
2007 14 188 1,122 6.0 19
2008 11 168 592 3.5 6
2009 14 183 713 3.9 15
Career 53 671 2,948 4.4 47

Jarrett Brown:
Rushing
2006 3 32 176 5.5 4
2007 5 49 327 6.7 5
2008 2 36 169 4.7 3
2009 10 118 452 3.8 3

Granted, Brown didn't see much action while White was there, but these rushing stats are unimpressive for a primarily "running QB". Lefevour has far better numbers.

NGSeiler
03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
It's concerning.....that's all I said....it's not THE determining factor......

You said, and I quote, "The fact that Brown couldn't beat out White at WV is actually more concerning than anything to me."

But it really isn't, if you actually examine the situation at WVU. No one was beating out White in that offense because he was a great fit, as evident by the kind of success WVU had during the course of his time there.

This argument...

the real issue is that he only has 1 year starting experience in an offense that doesn't translate to the NFL

...is much better and more accurate than concerns about Brown not winning the job over Pat White.

ElectricEye
03-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Look at the attempts. There's really not much of an argument here, apples to oranges. Completely different types of players and ran a completely different style of spread.

DeathbyStat
03-19-2010, 12:21 PM
I really don't like any of the QBs after Bradford and Clauson all that much. I would be tempted to rate him as the number 3 QB.

fear the elf
03-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Pat White was the best spread option, running quarterback in the past decade, in all likelyhood.Dan LeFevour, anyone?

Dan Lefevour:
Rushing
2006 14 123 521 4.0 7
2007 14 188 1,122 6.0 19
2008 11 168 592 3.5 6
2009 14 183 713 3.9 15
Career 53 671 2,948 4.4 47

Jarrett Brown:
Rushing
2006 3 32 176 5.5 4
2007 5 49 327 6.7 5
2008 2 36 169 4.7 3
2009 10 118 452 3.8 3

Granted, Brown didn't see much action while White was there, but these rushing stats are unimpressive for a primarily "running QB". Lefevour has far better numbers.

What are you trying to prove with these stats? The original comment was about Pat White, not Jarret Brown, being the "best spread option, running quarterback in the past decade."

These are the stats you want:

Pat White:
Rushing
Year Games Rushes Yards Average TDs
2005 9 131 952 7.3 7
2006 11 165 1219 7.4 18
2007 11 197 1335 6.8 14
2008 11 191 974 5.1 8

Aloysius
03-19-2010, 03:26 PM
According to the folks at PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/19/greg-middleton-john-jerry-get-the-wonderlic-dunce-caps/), Jarrett Brown scored a 15 on the Wonderlic.

Make of that what you will.

Ness
03-20-2010, 01:55 AM
According to the folks at PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/19/greg-middleton-john-jerry-get-the-wonderlic-dunce-caps/), Jarrett Brown scored a 15 on the Wonderlic.

Make of that what you will.

I never, ever make anything of the Wonderlic. Something Mark Brunell told the Washington Post a few years ago I'll never forget is:

"There are guys that scored high on the Wonderlic score coaching youth soccer."

Some of the best players in the NFL don't come across as masterminds.

akvikefan89
03-20-2010, 03:22 AM
When I watched him in the Senior Bowl, he reminded me a lot of Tarvaris Jackson. Great arm, quick release, a little shaky on reads and pocket pressure, though... a project just like Jackson was/is IMO.

Ness
03-20-2010, 03:48 AM
When I watched him in the Senior Bowl, he reminded me a lot of Tarvaris Jackson. Great arm, quick release, a little shaky on reads and pocket pressure, though... a project just like Jackson was/is IMO.

Don't want to sidestep too much, but Jackson looks like he's finally starting to show a little something. I hope he gets another shot.

descendency
03-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Can the kid hit the broad side of a barn though?