PDA

View Full Version : Rolando McClain

BigRick352
03-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey guys, been hearing that the Giants are very interested in this guy. I dont really know much about him, I have seen maybe 8 games in his career he has looked good in most of them. Some of his youtube highlights/lowlights and have read his scouting reports from various different sites. Everything about him seems good. I would just like some opinions from people who have seen him more than I have. Saban said he is the best player he has ever coached which sounds very nice if the Giants are seriously interested. He knows what he is talking about. I have read Rolando prefers to play in a 3-4. So what do you think of him as a 4-3 MIKE? Is he a sideline to sideline guy? He make big plays? Whats to like about him and whats not to like about him? If you could give me a worst case and best case NFL comparison. Thanks in advance!! :)

SenorGato
03-19-2010, 09:11 PM
He's really good and the Giants would be very lucky to get him.

vidae
03-19-2010, 09:13 PM
He's my favorite player this year by far. I love this kid. High football IQ and a good motor. His bet fit is probably as an ILB in a 3-4, but I think he could be good in a 4-3 too, just not as good.

BlueBandit24
03-19-2010, 09:15 PM
He's my favorite player this year by far. I love this kid. High football IQ and a good motor. His bet fit is probably as an ILB in a 3-4, but I think he could be good in a 4-3 too, just not as good.

I agree. I think he could potentially be a superstar in a 3-4...and a solid if unspectacular 4-3 ILB. He lacks dominant physical traits outside of size, but he's just a smart player and knows how to play the game.

RWills
03-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I just think Sean Weatherspoon fits what the Giants need

Rosebud
03-20-2010, 12:33 AM
I just think Sean Weatherspoon fits what the Giants need

This. If we go LB in round one Spoon gives us so much more than McClain. That said I don't think either one is that good of a pick at 15, are they going to really be 2 rounds better than spikes or one round better than Washington? I don't think so, Plus we have much more solid if unspectacular guys at LB than we do DT so I'd hope we pass on both of them for Price or Dan Williams.

GoRavens
03-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Weatherspoon is a perfect fit for a 4-3
McClain is a perfect fit for a 3-4

BaLLiN
03-20-2010, 09:33 AM
Weatherspoon is a perfect fit for a 4-3
McClain is a perfect fit for a 3-4

If your talking OLB for Spoon, yes. Only way he'd be good is with a good line infront of him. Jon Beason was the same way.

BJJ3rd
03-20-2010, 10:36 AM
McClain is a beast imo. Should no doubt be a top 15 pick, although I would love for him to fall to the Steelers at 18. I don't think the Steelers would trade up to get him anymore due to the signing of Foote, but yes I do think McClain is a future Pro Bowler no doubt and i do see him ending up in a Giants uni come April 22.

BigRick352
03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
McClain is a beast imo. Should no doubt be a top 15 pick, although I would love for him to fall to the Steelers at 18. I don't think the Steelers would trade up to get him anymore due to the signing of Foote, but yes I do think McClain is a future Pro Bowler no doubt and i do see him ending up in a Giants uni come April 22.

Yes I feel the same way and I think the Giants will take him even if it takes a trade up to 9. I really feel they want this guy.

Supporting Caste
03-20-2010, 02:05 PM
There is a 0% chance he goes ahead of Weatherspoon, 3-4 or 4-3. Guaranteed.

bored of education
03-20-2010, 02:08 PM

whoa, really?

BigRick352
03-20-2010, 04:12 PM

Any facts to back that up?

Splat
03-20-2010, 04:22 PM

Any facts to back that up?

Who needs facts? The guy obviously knows what he is talking about...

Rosebud
03-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Yes I feel the same way and I think the Giants will take him even if it takes a trade up to 9. I really feel they want this guy.

You really think Reese will trade up? Especially when we can find a stud at a position of need where we are? I think we're more likely to pursue a trade down to try and grab spoon, price or dan williams than we are to pursue a trade up for McClain.

adamprez2003
03-21-2010, 02:58 PM
does mcclain have crohns disease?

BigRick352
03-21-2010, 03:35 PM
You really think Reese will trade up? Especially when we can find a stud at a position of need where we are? I think we're more likely to pursue a trade down to try and grab spoon, price or dan williams than we are to pursue a trade up for McClain.

IMO from what I have read he seems like a player that TC will love. He is a student of the game very similar to Pierce makes all the pre snap reads and knows what the offense is doing before the play starts. I really believe they are gonna make a trade up to ensure they got the guy they want. Price from what I have read is late first value. Everyone says Williams will go to a 3-4 team. I think it will come down to McClain and Spoon, but the Giants like that quieter guy rather than a big mouth like Spoon. Not knocking Spoon at all from what I have seen I like him. Just have a gut feeling McClain is the pick.

Also to the guy above me yes he does have Chrohns disease

GoRavens
03-21-2010, 03:47 PM
Shouldn't Chrohns disease be a medical red flag?
I don't know too muh about it, but I remember the singer from Glassjaw had Chrohns and it forced him to always cancel a bunch of shows.

FUNBUNCHER
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Shouldn't Chrohns disease be a medical red flag?
I don't know too muh about it, but I remember the singer from Glassjaw had Chrohns and it forced him to always cancel a bunch of shows.

Chrohns disease = bloody stool.

I think it's going to scare off some teams, whether his condition is treatable or not.

I would not be surprised to see Spoon as the 1st LB taken because of McClain's medical condition.

LizardState
03-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Since the Giants dumped Pierce last month I think they're leaving that spot open for a younger, faster impact rookie, & McClain is as close as anyone in this draft to him.

In the right system McClain could be a younger, bigger DeMeco Ryans from same Bama program, a Butkus winner who could own the middle with Defensive Rookie ot Yr. potential.

zachsaints52
03-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Would you bet your life? Because I have been looking for an extra to throw around these days and Ebay is too high.

adschofield
03-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Eh David Garrad has Crohn's and it doesn't seem to affect him much stamina-wise.

LonghornsLegend
03-22-2010, 12:59 PM
This. If we go LB in round one Spoon gives us so much more than McClain. That said I don't think either one is that good of a pick at 15, are they going to really be 2 rounds better than spikes or one round better than Washington? I don't think so, Plus we have much more solid if unspectacular guys at LB than we do DT so I'd hope we pass on both of them for Price or Dan Williams.

I agree with this, I don't think McClain is that great of a prospect in a 4-3 honestly, especially for NY. I think if you can grab a Dan Williams in the 1st, Daryl Washington in the 2nd will be a beast in the 4-3 and has all the tools you look for while grabbing an elite run stuffing NT.

Rosebud
03-22-2010, 01:35 PM
I agree with this, I don't think McClain is that great of a prospect in a 4-3 honestly, especially for NY. I think if you can grab a Dan Williams in the 1st, Daryl Washington in the 2nd will be a beast in the 4-3 and has all the tools you look for while grabbing an elite run stuffing NT.

I'd kill for Price or Williams in round one, Washington in round two, Troup/Joseph or Houston in round three and Tennant or Walton in round four.

KaneMarko
03-23-2010, 08:10 AM

It's not an absolute indicator of what the Chiefs will do, but I recently read an article that the Chiefs' staff, reportedly, had dinner with McClain before the Bama pro-day. Now, that doesn't mean that they are gonna draft him. But I think one can conclude that there is definite interest.

rockio42
03-23-2010, 12:09 PM
I will never understand people consistently saying that Weatherspoon will be a good 4-3 MLB...its just not true the guy played here at Mizzou around 220-230 and is a perfect WILL fit and maybe a good fit for ILB in the 3-4 but his best fit is 4-3 WILL, just saying

Crickett
03-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I will never understand people consistently saying that Weatherspoon will be a good 4-3 MLB...its just not true the guy played here at Mizzou around 220-230 and is a perfect WILL fit and maybe a good fit for ILB in the 3-4 but his best fit is 4-3 WILL, just saying

Jonathan Vilma | #51 | MLB

New Orleans Saints | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 230 Age: 27

Born: 4/16/1982 Coral Gables , FL

College: Miami (Fla.)

Experience: 7th season

I think a lot of it comes from NFL network which has described Weatherspoon as someone who can really captain a defense the way you expect a middle linebacker to do.

rockio42
03-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Jonathan Vilma | #51 | MLB

New Orleans Saints | Official Team Site

Height: 6-1 Weight: 230 Age: 27

Born: 4/16/1982 Coral Gables , FL

College: Miami (Fla.)

Experience: 7th season

I think a lot of it comes from NFL network which has described Weatherspoon as someone who can really captain a defense the way you expect a middle linebacker to do.

I guess its just because I watched him play so much at Mizzou over the past two years and he was just a stud at WILL, he flys around the field and makes plays...trust me Mizzou hasn't had any good MLBs over the past two years and Spoon didn't spend much time in the middle in Columbia, just seems to me that he will be a better 4-3 WILL than MLB

katnip
03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
for some reason. reminds me of the Jets David Harris, except he's listed bigger, slightly

Supporting Caste
03-23-2010, 06:25 PM
The more I see of McClain, the more confused I am.

Is the official selling point with him that he's got great character and stuff? His instincts don't seem any better to me than Micah Johnson or Brandon Spikes, both of whom look faster on the field, and he has poor tackling technique.

Is his character so grand and exceptional that he defies all other criteria typically used to evaluate LBs?

WTF?

Serg812
03-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't know what you guys are seeing in McClain. I mean I know he's an award winner and all but when I watch McClain, he's just solid to me. He's 6'4 260 and doesn't play violent at all. Nobody is scared of this guy. His tackles are that of a free safety. All he does is lung himself behind the ball carrier and wraps his long arms around their waist. If you look at the top 3 inside linebackers in the league right now (Willis, Lewis, Beason), they all deliver the big hit and play with a killer instinct and McClain doesn't have that. Neither does Spoon. I don't want my Giants going with McClain at 15. I actually like Sean Lee and Jamar Chaney better for the G-Men.