PDA

View Full Version : How to Tell If Taylor Mays is Good or Not

Morton
03-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Seattle needs secondary help.

Pete Carroll knows Taylor Mays, and his strengths and weaknesses, better than anybody.

Watch Pete Carroll on draft day. If he passes up on Taylor Mays with the #14 pick and instead chooses a different safety or cornerback, you know Pete doesn't think Taylor has true first round talent.

General Zod
03-20-2010, 12:47 PM
um, draft forum maybe?

Splat
03-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Like when Butch Davis passed on Clinton Portis. :)

keylime_5
03-20-2010, 01:01 PM
or you could just watch the tape and see for yourself.

BaLLiN
03-20-2010, 01:40 PM

Pete Carroll knows Taylor Mays, and his strengths and weaknesses, better than anybody.

Watch Pete Carroll on draft day. If he passes up on Taylor Mays with the #14 pick and instead chooses a different safety or cornerback, you know Pete doesn't think Taylor has true first round talent.

or you know that Seattle may want to pick a QB/T before a safety because the QB can make a much larger impact on a game and a LT can allow that QB to make that impact whereas a safety can be avoided more easily, unless you have god-like instincts like Ed Reed. A deep coverage safety wont help that much when the entire NFC West runs more of a WCO

PoopSandwich
03-20-2010, 01:53 PM
or you could just watch the tape and see for yourself.

This guy doesn't make any sense ever why would he start now.

Shiver
03-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Bobby Petrino passed on Amobi Okoye after all. (but drafted the terrible Jamaal Anderson instead)

Gay Ork Wang
03-20-2010, 02:55 PM
so coaches are always right?

stephenson86
03-20-2010, 02:57 PM
lol stupidest thing i have heard (disregarding everything RC3 says)

PoopSandwich
03-20-2010, 03:04 PM
lol stupidest thing i have heard (disregarding everything RC3 says)

You haven't read the brady quinn thread with 3pac.

D-Unit
03-20-2010, 03:04 PM

...and if he drafts Mays, then Mays is gonna be an All-Pro?

Seriously... this is not a well thought out post.

Babylon
03-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Carroll has a connection to pretty much the whole world because he either coached them or coached against them. then there is all the highly recruited players he went after out of highschool. I guess we can just watch the Seattle draft and know who is good and who isnt.

PossibleCabbage
03-20-2010, 03:21 PM
This does kind of put other front offices in an awkward position. One of the ways GMs will get a good sense of a prospect is by interviewing his college coaches. But nobody can expect an honest answer about Mays from Carroll, except for John Schneider.

So the OP does have a certain point, the only way to tell how Carroll really feels about Mays is to watch what he does on draft day. I don't think that if he passes on him at 14 that he necessarily doesn't think Mays is a first round talent... since he could just be not the best player on the board at a position of need, at that point.

Babylon
03-20-2010, 03:28 PM
This does kind of put other front offices in an awkward position. One of the ways GMs will get a good sense of a prospect is by interviewing his college coaches. But nobody can expect an honest answer about Mays from Carroll, except for John Schneider.

So the OP does have a certain point, the only way to tell how Carroll really feels about Mays is to watch what he does on draft day. I don't think that if he passes on him at 14 that he necessarily doesn't think Mays is a first round talent... since he could just be not the best player on the board at a position of need, at that point.

Or you could just watch the 50 games that Mays started at SC.

stephenson86
03-20-2010, 03:35 PM
basically who ever pete carroll draft is going to be amazing

Babylon
03-20-2010, 03:40 PM

His next amazing move since he's got there will be his first.

FUNBUNCHER
03-20-2010, 04:38 PM
It still would be really odd if Carroll picked another safety other than Mays if he was available, but privately I bet that Mays hopes Seattle passes on him.

I'm still of the mind that Carroll had no idea how to develop Mays' otherworldly physical skills, we're talking about arguably one of the greatest pure athletes to ever play college football, and never played him to his maximum ability at USC.

For both parties, IMO it's best if they leave those good times at Southern Cal for the scrapbook.

Splat
03-20-2010, 04:41 PM

Or trades for.

PossibleCabbage
03-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Or you could just watch the 50 games that Mays started at SC.

As important as game tape is, you can't possibly think that "input from a player's coaches" is irrelevant for the evaluation process. Game tape can show you a lot, but it can't show you anything about how well a guy picks things up, how he takes coaching, how driven he is to improve himself, etc.

Plus, when it comes to Mays, since his game tape leaves things to be desired in certain categories, looking for other input is very important when it comes to properly evaluating him.

RealityCheck
03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
He's not gonna pass on Mays at #14 becaue Mays will be gone before that.

descendency
03-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Carroll is a so so coach that went to a program that it would be impossible not to recruit lots of 5 star recruits too (especially if you pay them) and failed to develop much NFL talent despite running NFL type schemes.

You might as well not draft a USC WR in the past 10 years.

Addict
03-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Carroll is a so so coach that went to a program that it would be impossible not to recruit lots of 5 star recruits too (especially if you pay them) and failed to develop much NFL talent despite running NFL type schemes.

jesus what did Carroll do to your mom exactly?

Splat
03-20-2010, 08:09 PM
He's not gonna pass on Mays at #14 becaue Mays will be gone before that.

That is a bold statement. Wrong but bold.

coordinator0
03-20-2010, 08:20 PM

Steve Smith disagrees ;).

RealityCheck
03-20-2010, 08:39 PM
That is a bold statement. Wrong but bold.
I know.

And I guarantee that.

Rosebud
03-20-2010, 09:11 PM
I know.

And I guarantee that.

This made me laugh.

CC.SD
03-20-2010, 09:44 PM
It still would be really odd if Carroll picked another safety other than Mays if he was available, but privately I bet that Mays hopes Seattle passes on him.

Mays is from Washington, bet your knockers he wants to be drafted by Seattle.

Cicero
03-20-2010, 09:46 PM

We can pretend, right?

Morton
03-20-2010, 09:55 PM
The guys getting all bent out of shape over my post don't understand the point I was trying to make.

The Seahawks are more than likely going to draft a DB this year in the first round. If they don't , then this theory doesn't apply. But if they do, and they probably will, then this theory will explain how highly Pete Carroll values Mays.

If Carroll takes any other safety (like Thomas or Berry) with one of his first round picks, he doesn't value Mays over that safety. Simple as that.

CC.SD
03-20-2010, 10:00 PM
The guys getting all bent out of shape over my post don't understand the point I was trying to make.

The Seahawks are more than likely going to draft a DB this year in the first round. If they don't , then this theory doesn't apply. But if they do, and they probably will, then this theory will explain how highly Pete Carroll values Mays.

If Carroll takes any other safety (like Thomas or Berry) with one of his first round picks, he doesn't value Mays over that safety. Simple as that.

Berry is a different animal. He is a better prospect than Mays, so Pete should value him more. Thomas OTOH, sure, I will accept that point as a knock on Mays...from one organization's perspective. However I doubt Seattle is going to be in a position to illustrate without question that Mays is not valued by Carroll. It would require perfect dominos. More likely they grab an OT and BPA in the first.

Splat
03-20-2010, 10:01 PM

No one in their right mind values Mays over Berry.

bored of education
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM

Well usually, and I mean usually, when you draft Prospect A over Prospect B means you value that prospect you pick more so than the prospect you don't pick.

CC.SD
03-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Well usually, and I mean usually, when you draft Prospect A over Prospect B means you value that prospect you pick more so than the prospect you don't pick.

http://thegurglingcod.typepad.com/thegurglingcod/images/2008/02/12/the_more_you_know2.jpg

Rosebud
03-20-2010, 10:27 PM

That's undeniably true.

cvv84
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Genius! Much better idea than actually scouting him.

descendency
03-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Steve Smith disagrees ;).

Fantasy superstar Steve Smith. :D

I have to thank Pete Carroll for sucking so badly because if he didn't suck so bad the first time he was in the NFL, Bill Belichick might have went somewhere else... :/

prock
03-21-2010, 01:27 AM
I know.

And I guarantee that.

I will hold you to that. I would be willing to bet he is much less likely to go before 14 than after 20.

thetedginnshow
03-21-2010, 01:46 AM

Why are the Seahawks more than likely going to draft a DB in the first? They have a ton of holes, and you can't even really group "DB" together because if they value corners more than safeties in general that really says nothing about Mays. And just because Seattle takes a different Safety than Mays, all that means is that the guy they took fits their system more, not even that he necessarily thinks he will be better provided he's put into the right situation.

cajuncorey
03-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Bobby Petrino passed on Amobi Okoye after all. (but drafted the terrible Jamaal Anderson instead)

lol or when norm chow (ex-offensive coordinator at USC) passed on lienart to select vince young the dude that won the National championship against USC

cvv84
03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
lol or when norm chow (ex-offensive coordinator at USC) passed on lienart to select vince young the dude that won the National championship against USC

Too bad its already been well documented (http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2008/8/27/602561/news-flash-norm-chow-wante) that Chow wanted Leinart. Nice try though.

Former Titans offensive coordinator Norm Chow was on the Wake Up Zone on 104.5 this morning and had this to say about the 3rd pick in the 2006 NFL Draft:

"Everyone knew who I wanted and... the minute that they took Vince I told my wife, 'I think my days are numbered here.'"

SKim172
03-21-2010, 06:02 PM
"Everyone knew who I wanted and... the minute that they took Vince I told my wife, 'I think my days are numbered here.'"

At this point, I'd say Chow was screwed pretty much either way.

bitonti
03-22-2010, 10:49 AM
taylor mays runs fast. How does he get past Al Davis?

dont talk about Al Davis drafting for need or smartly or whatever. That's not Al Davis.

Addict
03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
taylor mays runs fast. How does he get past Al Davis?

dont talk about Al Davis drafting for need or smartly or whatever. That's not Al Davis.

his official time was over 4.4, so he's not real Davis-bait.

Addict
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM
At this point, I'd say Chow was screwed pretty much either way.

we really don't know how things would have worked out for Leinart if he had fallen under Chow. Chow obviously knew how to 'handle' Leinart.

Also in Arizona, Leinart had a fairly normal season for a rookie QB, but then the HC got fired and a Whisenhunt came in, who felt no need to devellop him further nad brought a new system. Warner beat Leinart and has played so well since then that this is really the first time that Leinart really has a shot at getting back on the field. What I'm saying is that if he had gone to the Titans with Chow, things could have gone very differently.

descendency
03-22-2010, 12:05 PM
his official time was over 4.4, so he's not real Davis-bait.

Official times don't mean s***. It's only what unofficial times are.

Mays was clearly as fast as some of the lower 4.3 guys and at 230 lbs. I wouldn't be shocked if Al Davis grabbed him or traded up for him (from the second round).

GoRavens
03-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't touch Taylor Mays in the top 15
He just didn't make enough plays for me to like him as a prospect.
Hes got the size/speed to be a starter in the NFL, but his game is inconsistent.

bitonti
03-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I wouldn't touch Taylor Mays in the top 15
He just didn't make enough plays for me to like him as a prospect.
Hes got the size/speed to be a starter in the NFL, but his game is inconsistent.

by that logic JPP shouldn't be a top 15 pick either

GoRavens
03-22-2010, 04:57 PM
by that logic JPP shouldn't be a top 15 pick either

he shouldn't

SKim172
03-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Personally, I've got a feeling that Pierre-Paul will fulfill all that potential. But yeah, these size/speed guys are always an enormous gamble. Depends on how safe you want to play it.