PDA

View Full Version : Tebow to Washington in Rnd 1?

D-Unit
03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
This according to ESPN insider.

Small excerpt.. "With the speculation that the Rams might be taking Sam Bradford No. 1 overall in April, the other team that thinks quite highly of him risks missing out. We've been hearing for a while now that the Redskins value Bradford as a potential franchise quarterback, and that he would not get past their spot in the first round if he lasted that far."

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Which part of this is about Tebow?

TACKLE
03-21-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't get how this connects Washington to Tebow.

Canadian_draft_fan
03-21-2010, 02:27 PM
So missing out on Bradford will force the Skins to draft Tebow? Bit of a stretch there, no?

bored of education
03-21-2010, 02:32 PM
Um what dude?

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 02:33 PM
It's no secret the Redskins would jump all over Bradford were he to fall to 4th Overall. The Tebow connection, on the other hand, not so strong. I, for one, doubt Clausen at 4 too (I think Left Tackle will be the focus). Perhaps Colt McCoy in the 3rd (who fits great in their WCO) but I'd expect Jason Campbell will be the starter there next year.

GoRavens
03-21-2010, 02:33 PM
I predicted Tebow to Washington awhile ago.
but in round 2...

Splat
03-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Clausen at #4 is still my thoughts.

CashmoneyDrew
03-21-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm confused.

Splat
03-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm confused.

Back of the line.

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I think Cleveland and Washington both want Sam Bradford in round 1, and if they can't (and won't) get him then it sounds like they both might want Tebow in round two. Cleveland has a lot of picks and can trade up in front of the 'Skins too, and with a day between round 1 and 2 trade ups are easier this year. Should be interesting to see how the battle for Tebow ends up. Buffalo might want to trade up and get him too.

Scotty D
Dunit I hope you don't work for UPS because this thread does not deliver

scpanther22
I think they were talking about Tebow in Rnd 2.

Shiver
03-21-2010, 02:56 PM

As a former UPS employee I salute this post.

I like the idea of Tim Tebow to Washington, but only in round 2, after they have added a top flight OT.

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I have a feeling Tebow is gonna end up in Cleveland on draft day if they don't trade up for Bradford...

I could see us using one of our three 3rd rounders packaged with our high second rounder and maybe one of our million 5ths to move up to the bottom of the first round to snag Tebow.

D-Unit
03-21-2010, 03:03 PM
HAhahha. That made me laugh. Yes, my mistake. The darn headline messed with my head. I'm not gonna lock this thread right away, because I can laugh at myself on this one. :D

Go ahead, take your best jabs.

BeerBaron
03-21-2010, 03:11 PM
I have a feeling Tebow is gonna end up in Cleveland on draft day if they don't trade up for Bradford...

I could see us using one of our three 3rd rounders packaged with our high second rounder and maybe one of our million 5ths to move up to the bottom of the first round to snag Tebow.

Here's the thing though...Holmgren has always been a WCO user, and in the WCO, you want a guy with a quick release and great accuracy. Athleticism to roll out and avoid pressure is also nice, but that would be the only one of these 3 qualities Tebow has.

And you could argue that Holmgren isn't the coach, so there's no guarantee they run the WCO, and that may very well be true for next season. But short of a 2008 Falcons/Dolphins surprise playoff campaign, I could see them dumping Mangini and bringing in a staff Holmgren hand-picks. And if that happens, it would probably be a WCO friendly staff and Tebow, even if drafted in the late 1st/early 2nd, would still be too valuable to give up on. There would be a conflict between the relatively high drafted QB and the offensive system I feel.

McCoy in the 2nd or 3rd round would make a lot more sense going to the Browns for me.

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
I think Holmgren is still looking for QBs with WCO qualities b/c you know he's trying to eventually get that system going in Cleveland. I think he's really intrigued by Tebow though and while the guy has quirky mechanics (that he probably will revert to in the heat of the game even though he's changing his motion) he is accurate on short throws and is very mobile.

BigRick352
03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Tebow is gonna get drafted at 9 to Buffalo. You heard it here first

Prowler
03-21-2010, 03:35 PM
This according to ESPN insider.

Small excerpt.. "With the speculation that the Rams might be taking Sam Bradford No. 1 overall in April, the other team that thinks quite highly of him risks missing out. We've been hearing for a while now that the Redskins value Bradford as a potential franchise quarterback, and that he would not get past their spot in the first round if he lasted that far."

how about i go ahead and add another small segment.

UPDATE: The Redskins may be developing their backup plan if Bradford is off the board (as expected) by the time they pick at No. 4. Coach Mike Shanahan and GM Bruce Allen are part of a team that is scheduled to visit with Tim Tebow in Gainesville, presumably to decide whether they want to pick him in April's draft (possibly in the second round) in the event they draft neither Bradford nor Clausen.

CashmoneyDrew
03-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Tebow is gonna get drafted at 9 to Buffalo. You heard it here first

Poor Bills fans can't catch a break.

BigRick352
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Poor Bills fans can't catch a break.

The team supposedly loves the guy and are scared of losing out on him by waiting to the 2nd and especially going to New England. Plus that teams some kind of financial boost and he will certainly help that. Wouldnt put it past old man Ralph

RaiderNation
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Maybe you meant Clausen to Washington

FUNBUNCHER
03-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Around DC there's a thought that SHanahan would trade up from pick # 37 into the bottom of the 1st to select Tebow, not take Tebow with the 4th overall pick.

I've talked to SKins fans who see similarities athletically to Tebow and Steve Young when he came out of BYU; a raw passer and gifted athlete whose entire game had to be torn down and rebuilt in the pros, a similar path many envision for Tebow.

I think Tebow could go anywhere from picks 20 to 28, I really don't think he makes it out of the first round.

IMO, this is making an easy pick complicated.

If Shanny wants a young QB to groom, reach a little on Clausen and take him at #4.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2010, 03:47 PM
I think we may be looking at a situation where a whole lot of NFL personnel guys aren't fans of Clausen at all. On the surface, I don't see much to nitpick, but I also don't see an elite prospect. If there are other concerns to compound that, we could see him fall quite a ways. If Washington has Clausen and Tebow rated somewhat closely, it would make more sense to move up from their 2nd rounder for Tebow.

JRTPlaya21
03-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I'll throw all sorts of things at my tv if the Redskins draft Tebow. But watch him become some stud qb one day and I have to swallow my tongue.

Splat
03-21-2010, 03:57 PM
I would be pretty surprised to see Clausen fall out of the top ten.

bored of education
03-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I would be pretty surprised to see Clausen fall out of the top ten.

I wouldn't. I find him highly overrated at this point. I do see the Bills drafting him if there. From there it could be Quinnesque tumble

Splat
03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
There are just to many teams that good use a upgrade at QB for him to fall out of the top ten.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2010, 04:10 PM
There are just to many teams that good use a upgrade at QB for him to fall out of the top ten.

I think there are always teams that are looking to upgrade at quarterback. However, we've seen what happens when all the teams that want a quarterback early fixate on one guy and the other guy starts to fall down boards (Rodgers when everyone wanted Smith and Quinn when everyone wanted Russell). Could Seattle, Cleveland, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Denver, San Francisco, etc. all use a quarterback upgrade? Sure. Does it look likely that all of them view Clausen as a desirable option? Not really.

Caulibflower
03-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Dan Snyder: "Tim...I am your father."

Tim Tebow: "NOOOOOOOO....."

BeerBaron
03-21-2010, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't. I find him highly overrated at this point. I do see the Bills drafting him if there. From there it could be Quinnesque tumble

If you think Clausen is overrated than you must think Bradford is ludicrously overrated.

I've got no problem with the Rams going QB #1 overall, but I'm not a big Bradford fan. Plenty of reasons but this isn't the thread for it....

RealityCheck
03-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Yeah because the Rams will take Bradford and the Lions or the Bucs will forget they have Stafford and Freeman and take Clausen.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
If you think Clausen is overrated than you must think Bradford is ludicrously overrated.

Why is that so? No NFL teams in the Top 10 have confirmed that kind of grade on Jimmy Clausen, while both St. Louis & Washington in the Top 5 have been all over Sam Bradford and it looks impossible that he drops out of the first four picks. It seems like you're really in the minority here. Most people have Bradford over Clausen, including myself, including boe, and including NFL evaluators & coaches.

This thread's as good as any to elaborate, seeing as it is one that centers on a QB-needy team that will be considering all top prospects. I know why people don't like Bradford, but don't let your personal opinion get in the way of reality. If you don't know what I mean there just take a look at St. Louis/Washington/Cleveland and what they think of him. NFL teams seem pretty damn convinced, whereas no one really seems that sold on Clausen based on what I've seen.

bored of education
03-21-2010, 05:39 PM

I've got no problem with the Rams going QB #1 overall, but I'm not a big Bradford fan. Plenty of reasons but this isn't the thread for it....

i have many more reasons why i believe Clausen is not the qb to take #1 overall...but this is not the thread for it

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Personally, I think Clausen will probably wind up being a bit underrated on draft day. I don't like him as much as I liked Aaron Rodgers, but I think the two are similar enough that I can't rate him as low as some have (Scout Inc. currently has Clausen rated somewhere outside their top 32).

RealityCheck
03-21-2010, 05:40 PM
Clausen and Tebow will both go on the late 20's.

Arizona will trade their pick to Buffalo who'll take Clausen.
Dallas or Jets will trade their pick to Jax who'll pick Tebow.
Minnesota will be forced to take Pike/Skelton/LeFevour in the 3rd.

Mark it down.

Splat
03-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Holmgren on Clausen: "I wish I liked him more" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/21/holmgren-on-clausen-i-wish-i-liked-it-more/)

BeerBaron
03-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Why is that so? No NFL teams in the Top 10 have confirmed that kind of grade on Jimmy Clausen, while both St. Louis & Washington in the Top 5 have been all over Sam Bradford and it looks impossible that he drops out of the first four picks. It seems like you're really in the minority here. Most people have Bradford over Clausen, including myself, including boe, and including NFL evaluators & coaches.

This thread's as good as any to elaborate, seeing as it is one that centers on a QB-needy team that will be considering all top prospects. I know why people don't like Bradford, but don't let your personal opinion get in the way of reality. If you don't know what I mean there just take a look at St. Louis/Washington/Cleveland and what they think of him. NFL teams seem pretty damn convinced, whereas no one really seems that sold on Clausen based on what I've seen.

The biggest issue I have with Bradford is that he will be coming out of the spread.

There has not been a QB to come out of a college spread offense to find relatively immediate success in the NFL. ("relatively immediate" as within 2-3 years.)

Drew Brees played in an early version of the spread at Purdue and was essentially given up on as a bust after his first 3 seasons. He was simply going to be a placeholder until Rivers was ready when the light finally clicked on for him after several bad seasons.

Vince Young played in the spread at Texas and yes, he did win ORotY, but that had more to do with his athleticism allowing him to extend plays and make plays with his legs than it did with his actual passing ability. (51% completion, 12 TD to 13 INT...) He didn't look like a real NFL QB until he showed some flashes last year, 4 years into his career.

Kyle Orton came out of the same spread that Brees did, and, while he did win a lot of games as a rookie, he did it only as a game manager with a great defense and run game. It wasn't until his 4th year in the league (and sitting out years 2 and 3 almost completely) that he started to show a few flashes, then got hurt and was traded to Denver after the season where he started to look better.

There is simply scant evidence of spread QBs succeeding in the NFL quickly, and out of the 3 examples I listed above, two of them didn't start playing well until their final years with the franchise or right after they left. Not what you want to have happen with a #1 overall draft pick.

Meanwhile, if you look at QBs who came out of a more pro-style attack in college, they've had a lot more instant success in the NFL. (Ryan, Sanchez, Stafford.)

Maybe Bradford will be different and buck the trend, I can't tell you that. But I find it odd that this isn't mentioned more in Bradford/Clausen comparisons. If the teams are finding something they dislike about Clausen in private workouts and interviews, then fine. None of us here are privy to that info and if that is what they are going on, so be it.

I just don't like Bradford as much as everyone else I suppose.

Oh, and I should mention that it's not like I strongly prefer Clausen or anything like that. I'm not sure i truly like either, I just think Clausen is the better route to go if I'm forced to choose.

SKim172
03-21-2010, 05:56 PM
So like, does Mangini have any voice in personnel decisions at all, or does he just bounce a tennis ball in the hallway outside the draft room until his wife comes to take him home?

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 06:00 PM
Doesn't sound like Browns will take Clausen or for that matter a round 2 QB (tebow or mccoy) unless they acquire another 2nd round pick...unless Mike is smokescreening which I doubt he is on this.

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Holmgren on Clausen: "I wish I liked him more" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/21/holmgren-on-clausen-i-wish-i-liked-it-more/)

Ya I read that, good article.

I still think if Tebow is there in the second round and Holmgren thinks he can turn him into a franchise QB that he will pull the trigger.

If he wants another second round pick so badly we can package a third and one of our million 5ths to move up to the bottom half of the second.

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 06:33 PM
yes, they could easily trade back into the 2nd if they wanted to with all those 3rds and 5ths. I think you can probably rule out us taking Clausen, but a QB like Tebow in round 2 is still a possibility, though I wouldn't call it a strong one.

RWills
03-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Ya I read that, good article.

I still think if Tebow is there in the second round and Holmgren thinks he can turn him into a franchise QB that he will pull the trigger.

If he wants another second round pick so badly we can package a third and one of our million 5ths to move up to the bottom half of the second.

No way Holgren will take Tebow in round 2, he has already saind that he doesn't believe a QB can't change his delivery, McCoy or Pike in rnd 3. He also said that QB isn't worth taking in rnd 2 unless he had an extra, meaning how deep this draft is.

RWills
03-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I think Clausen is on the same arrogance level and will have the same career as JP Losman and Rex Grossman, IMO. I dont think Wash will take him, I do wonder who they take if Okung is gone at 2, Bulaga? Berry? or one of the falling DT's? trade down? It's going to be a fun draft. Will Buffalo pull the trigger on Clausen?

Babylon
03-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Personally, I think Clausen will probably wind up being a bit underrated on draft day. I don't like him as much as I liked Aaron Rodgers, but I think the two are similar enough that I can't rate him as low as some have (Scout Inc. currently has Clausen rated somewhere outside their top 32).

Rodgers went 24th, Quinn 22. Why would Clausen go any earlier?

Paranoidmoonduck
03-21-2010, 07:37 PM

Slightly more teams are looking quarterback this time around and value at other offensive positions will likely evaporate really quickly. That could drive him up. Honestly, we all know it just takes one team that likes a guy enough. That's something that Rodgers and Quinn didn't have until a certain point, but that doesn't mean Clausen is tied to same point.

I was mostly making the point that when two quarterbacks square off to be the top choice for a team picking in the top 5, the loser of that matchup often loses in everyone's mind, not just the team making the direct decision.

ThePudge
03-21-2010, 07:47 PM

As PMD said with Washington at 4, Seattle at 6 & 14, Cleveland at 7, Buffalo at 9, and Jacksonville at 10 more teams need QBs than the Top 10-15 in 2005 or 2007. It's not a pitfall situation where there are two teams in the Top 10 in need of a new QB. Clausen will be drafted pretty high I think, though he's not the prospect Quinn/Rodgers were. I'd be pretty surprised if he fell past 10, not that I think most teams have him graded there as a player.

Da Big Harv
03-22-2010, 01:19 AM
I don't understand how so many of you can believe what the NFL GM's are saying this time of year. If I wanted Clausen and I was a GM I would be raving about Bradford and Tebow too and throwing out concerns for Clausen too.

Clausen had better than a 4:1 TD-INT rate in a pro-style offense that is absolutely insane.

wogitalia
03-22-2010, 01:20 AM

Oh, and I should mention that it's not like I strongly prefer Clausen or anything like that. I'm not sure i truly like either, I just think Clausen is the better route to go if I'm forced to choose.

You just summed up my thoughts. I have a few extra reasons that I dislike Bradford as a prospect outside the spread but the point remains. I personally think Clausen and Bradford are both in that Brian Brohm, Chad Henne and Kevin Kolb type of "class". I honestly feel that if there was a genuinely good QB prospect in this draft that both would be looked at as a late 1st to 3rd round type guy. Very similar to the Rodgers and Smith draft where a lot of people didn't feel all that good about either, one went high almost because a QB has to go early in the draft and the other fell to a far more reflective position of the draft. This year I honestly expect to see the same thing and I expect it will be Clausen, who for what it is worth I rate higher the same as I did Rodgers and for much the same reasons also.

To be totally honest, I actually like the idea of Tebow or McCoy in the 2nd or 3rd in this draft more than I like the idea of Clausen and Bradford any higher. I think with McCoy you know exactly what you are getting and if you are a WCO team than that is a great fit. Tebow is going to take 2 years at least, just like Bradford will. Clausen probably has the most upside of the group in that he has the best arm but probably also has the highest bust likelihood in that as a 1st rounder there are actual expectations.

Basically I just don't particularly like any of the QBs this year, certainly not as 1st rounders anyway. I don't really like the QBs the whole way down. This draft is just loaded with defensive talent but the offensive side really got left out.

RWills
03-22-2010, 08:21 AM
I think the QB movement (Whitehurst/Delhomme) in this league is showing you how weak this QB class really is

Addict
03-22-2010, 08:25 AM
if the Skins don't believe in Campbell and don't think Clausen's worth it for all intends and purposes they should wait a season and get themselves a real top guy. A top LT now could be fully worked in... that would work.

RWills
03-22-2010, 08:41 AM
if the Skins don't believe in Campbell and don't think Clausen's worth it for all intends and purposes they should wait a season and get themselves a real top guy. A top LT now could be fully worked in... that would work.

Agree, but what happens if the Lions pull an upset and take Okung, does Washington go with one of the DT's? or the next LT?

DiG
03-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Agree, but what happens if the Lions pull an upset and take Okung, does Washington go with one of the DT's? or the next LT?

Personally, I dont think the Lions will go Okung over Suh/Mccoy but if they do than definitely dont rule out either of those two to the Skins if Bradfords gone as well. With the move to the 3-4, we dont have any DL other than newly acquired Kemo (coming off injury) with experience in the system. If Okung and Bradford were somehow unavailable than I think a trade down would be option A, option B would be suh/mccoy, and option C might be Berry.

RWills
03-22-2010, 08:58 AM
I was also think Berry would be an option as well, would they pass on Suh for Berry? i would like Suh to fall to KC, they can then trade Dorsey to a 4-3 team

Rosebud
03-22-2010, 09:09 AM
I was also think Berry would be an option as well, would they pass on Suh for Berry? i would like Suh to fall to KC, they can then trade Dorsey to a 4-3 team

As a giants fan I should hope so, Suh and fat albert on the same DL would be disgusting.

Splat
03-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I would like Suh to fall to KC, they can then trade Dorsey to a 4-3 team

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/31g0YE61PLQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/31g0YE61PLQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Brothgar
03-22-2010, 09:50 AM
I actually think that Tebow is a better fit for the offense than Clausen is let him sit for a year or two behind Campbell and there you have it.

yourfavestoner
03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
The biggest issue I have with Bradford is that he will be coming out of the spread.

There has not been a QB to come out of a college spread offense to find relatively immediate success in the NFL. ("relatively immediate" as within 2-3 years.)

Drew Brees played in an early version of the spread at Purdue and was essentially given up on as a bust after his first 3 seasons. He was simply going to be a placeholder until Rivers was ready when the light finally clicked on for him after several bad seasons.

Vince Young played in the spread at Texas and yes, he did win ORotY, but that had more to do with his athleticism allowing him to extend plays and make plays with his legs than it did with his actual passing ability. (51% completion, 12 TD to 13 INT...) He didn't look like a real NFL QB until he showed some flashes last year, 4 years into his career.

Kyle Orton came out of the same spread that Brees did, and, while he did win a lot of games as a rookie, he did it only as a game manager with a great defense and run game. It wasn't until his 4th year in the league (and sitting out years 2 and 3 almost completely) that he started to show a few flashes, then got hurt and was traded to Denver after the season where he started to look better.

There is simply scant evidence of spread QBs succeeding in the NFL quickly, and out of the 3 examples I listed above, two of them didn't start playing well until their final years with the franchise or right after they left. Not what you want to have happen with a #1 overall draft pick.

Meanwhile, if you look at QBs who came out of a more pro-style attack in college, they've had a lot more instant success in the NFL. (Ryan, Sanchez, Stafford.)

Maybe Bradford will be different and buck the trend, I can't tell you that. But I find it odd that this isn't mentioned more in Bradford/Clausen comparisons. If the teams are finding something they dislike about Clausen in private workouts and interviews, then fine. None of us here are privy to that info and if that is what they are going on, so be it.

2-3 years is the traditional development timetable for ANY qb in the league, whether they played in the spread or not.

Sanchez and Bradford played in pro style offenses their entire college careers. Their transitions to the pros have been far from perfect. They were the two worst QBs in the NFL last season. It takes time for ANY qb to develop, regardless of what offense they played in during college. It's not like the spread automatically puts some curse on you that you'll never overcome. If you're a good QB, you'll figure it out. If not, you'll bust.

And two of the most successful rookie QBs the league has seen were spread offense guys: Ben Roethlisberger and Joe Flacco.

DiG
03-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I actually think that Tebow is a better fit for the offense than Clausen is let him sit for a year or two behind Campbell and there you have it.

hell only get 1 year. little to no chance campbell resigns for longer than that. That doesnt mean they wouldnt go after a guy like Hassleback or McNabb as vets to give Tebow another couple years to adjust. Aaron Rodgers sat 3 years and Id expect something similar for Tebow.

Brothgar
03-22-2010, 10:18 AM
hell only get 1 year. little to no chance campbell resigns for longer than that. That doesnt mean they wouldnt go after a guy like Hassleback or McNabb as vets to give Tebow another couple years to adjust. Aaron Rodgers sat 3 years and Id expect something similar for Tebow.

Really considering the improvement he's shown over the past what 3 months? It seems to me that one year might be enough to put him on the level of a regular rookie starting QB.

DiG
03-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Really considering the improvement he's shown over the past what 3 months? It seems to me that one year might be enough to put him on the level of a regular rookie starting QB.

Theres obviously no way to tell right now what his learning curve will be. If the Skins draft Tebow than Im sure Mike and Kyle will be faced with a serious decision after 2010 on whether Tebow will be ready to start in 2011 or whether they think it would be better for him to have another year or two of development. Given that this is the last year of Campbells contract, and the unlikelihood that he resigns, the position is absolutely open for 2011. Personally, I think 2-3 years at this point feels like a better situation for Tebow, no matter where he goes. Schaub is another QB, recently playing under Kyle, who sat 3 years before getting the nod in Houston.

ironman4579
03-22-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't understand how so many of you can believe what the NFL GM's are saying this time of year. If I wanted Clausen and I was a GM I would be raving about Bradford and Tebow too and throwing out concerns for Clausen too.

Clausen had better than a 4:1 TD-INT rate in a pro-style offense that is absolutely insane.

So did Brady Quinn, in the same offense. How's that working out?

Brothgar
03-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Theres obviously no way to tell right now what his learning curve will be. If the Skins draft Tebow than Im sure Mike and Kyle will be faced with a serious decision after 2010 on whether Tebow will be ready to start in 2011 or whether they think it would be better for him to have another year or two of development. Given that this is the last year of Campbells contract, and the unlikelihood that he resigns, the position is absolutely open for 2011. Personally, I think 2-3 years at this point feels like a better situation for Tebow, no matter where he goes. Schaub is another QB, recently playing under Kyle, who sat 3 years before getting the nod in Houston.

Schaub sat in Houston for 3 years? I know he sat in Atlanta for a while but I don't think he sat in Houston much.

GoRavens
03-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Tebow will either be a Jaguar or a Redskin imo

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 12:19 PM

I think the main concern right now about Tebow is you need to keep working on shortening/quickening his delivery & can he do it with defense there. He didn't exactly ace his latest workout as there were some questions about his accuracy, velocity, and the quality of the balls he threw (not exactly all tight spirals.) Reading the entire field & making sound, quick decisions are what we won't be able to see strides in until he finally picks up an NFL playbook.

Though you may be right, he might be able to improve and get his shot at a starting gig in 2011, I still think it's more likely he's one that will require extra attention and development. He's got a lot to work on mechanically & he needs to make this new drop-back/motion his new second nature or habit. I think his footwork/Center-QB exchange will come around quickly, but reading defenses, ingesting an NFL playbook (from a gimmicky spread offense), and re-working his delivery may keep him out of the starting lineup for a couple years. I wouldn't want to rush him back there...

Brothgar
03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
I think the main concern right now about Tebow is you need to keep working on shortening/quickening his delivery & can he do it with defense there. He didn't exactly ace his latest workout as there were some questions about his accuracy, velocity, and the quality of the balls he threw (not exactly all tight spirals.) Reading the entire field & making sound, quick decisions are what we won't be able to see strides in until he finally picks up an NFL playbook.

Though you may be right, he might be able to improve and get his shot at a starting gig in 2011, I still think it's more likely he's one that will require extra attention and development. He's got a lot to work on mechanically & he needs to make this new drop-back/motion his new second nature or habit. I think his footwork/Center-QB exchange will come around quickly, but reading defenses, ingesting an NFL playbook (from a gimmicky spread offense), and re-working his delivery may keep him out of the starting lineup for a couple years. I wouldn't want to rush him back there...

Oh I agree he by no means aced his pro day workout but there is very marked improvement IMO at least in his throwing motion (of course the tape I saw wasn't all that great) but if he puts in this type of effort over the course of a year and the new motion doesn't affect his other attributes I'm saying I could see it happen. Alot more than I could a few months ago.

Addict
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
the Pro Day was all well and good, but it's a controlled, well-rehearsed and carefully orchestrated environment. Not to talk down to tebow, but if he didn't look good on his Pro Day mechanics-wise, he would never look good. Take it with a lot of salt.

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Oh I agree he by no means aced his pro day workout but there is very marked improvement IMO at least in his throwing motion (of course the tape I saw wasn't all that great) but if he puts in this type of effort over the course of a year and the new motion doesn't affect his other attributes I'm saying I could see it happen. Alot more than I could a few months ago.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but later in the workout Tebow reverted back to his old motion & old habits shined through. He didn't make quite as dramatic a change to his motion as he could have, but he did shorten it a bit and didn't let the ball drop below his waist nearly as much. Still, if he's reverting back to his old ways after 20-25 throws in a controlled setting than he probably isn't going to think about his new throwing motion under duress on the field. He needs to continue working on a quick, compact, delivery until it's second nature. Basically, I think a team may choose to start him after a year of sitting/learning (small market like Jacksonville/Buffalo) but I'm not sold one year is enough to turn him into a starting Quarterback... I don't think he has a chance to reconstruct his game in that time, I think he might need some time (2-3 years).

Wrathman
03-22-2010, 01:41 PM
the Pro Day was all well and good, but it's a controlled, well-rehearsed and carefully orchestrated environment. Not to talk down to tebow, but if he didn't look good on his Pro Day mechanics-wise, he would never look good. Take it with a lot of salt.

It was an unscripted Pro Day.

Paranoidmoonduck
03-22-2010, 03:13 PM

What does this even mean?

Brothgar
03-22-2010, 03:20 PM
What does this even mean?

I'm guessing random order of the rout tree or someone not related to the University picked the order.

keylime_5
03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Tebow will either be a Jaguar or a Redskin imo

I think Bill or Redskin. I don't see how Jacksonville is gonna get him considering they have the 10th pick overall (too high for Tebow) and no second round pick. They'd have to trade their 2011 first rounder to get Tim in round 2.

Addict
03-22-2010, 03:58 PM

that's the single most rediculous concept I have ever heard of. An unscripted pro day is like relaxed hysteria.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Tebow IMO will go around the 15th pick. Teams will trade up to get their man. Just like how the Ravens moved up to take Flacco at 18 when most thought of him as a late first rounder at best-early 3rd, also the Skins traded up to 25 to take Campbell who was not a first round prospect, but it was rumored that the Browns were gonna take him with their pick at the top of the 2nd round.

Addict
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Tebow IMO will go around the 15th pick. Teams will trade up to get their man. Just like how the Ravens moved up to take Flacco at 18 when most thought of him as a late first rounder at best-early 3rd, also the Skins traded up to 25 to take Campbell who was not a first round prospect, but it was rumored that the Browns were gonna take him with their pick at the top of the 2nd round.

Flacco was a fringe first rounder IIRC, I don't know where you get this early third stuff from.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't know dude, I think that Flacco going into the draft was viewed as a 2nd rounder. The feeling was that the drop off from Matt Ryan was huge. There were many teams who couldn't look past Flacco's competition level. I'm sure there were teams who had Brohm and Henne over Flacco on their Big Boards.

Addict
03-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I don't know dude, I think that Flacco going into the draft was viewed as a 2nd rounder. The feeling was that the drop off from Matt Ryan was huge. There were many teams who couldn't look past Flacco's competition level. I'm sure there were teams who had Brohm and Henne over Flacco on their Big Boards.

But Brohm was rated much higher than he was drafted by many a fan and/or draftnik. Flacco was usually seen as a low first, early second round type player. The ravens went in early, but not insanely.

Tebow's seen as a second rounder at this point. At best.

JFLO
03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Tebow is going in the first round, maybe to Washington, but it's not going to be at #4. Maybe somewhere in the 25-32 range.

These last couple of weeks of "technique refinement" and publicity (not to mention the last four years at Gainesville) have probably made at least 4-8 teams interested in taking him in the first round.

He's going in the first, I think everyone should accept that fact.