PDA

View Full Version : Holmgren Not High on Clausen

gpngc
03-21-2010, 09:01 PM
...but he'll likely take a QB later.

Browns president Mike Holmgren admitted that he isn't high on Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen.
"You know how you have a type of player that you like? It's not scientific. People like him a lot. He'll go high," Holmgren said. "But it would be hard for me [to take him]." Holmgren reiterated that he will take a quarterback in the draft, but it probably won't be until late.
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Related: Browns

I guess they'll go with Berry, Thomas, Mays, JPP, Dez or Spiller at #7.

GB12
03-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Good choice. Why replace one first round Notre Dame QB bust with another?

RaiderNation
03-21-2010, 09:07 PM
I see them taking Berry, Haden or JPP at this point. Maybe they take a shot at a guy like LeFevour in the 3rd since they have two 3rds now

Splat
03-21-2010, 09:08 PM
I trust every thing GM's and coach's say this time of year.

Scott Wright
03-21-2010, 09:09 PM
It's going to be a long few years Browns fans... Very long.

HawkeyeFan
03-21-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm very high on Clausen, and believe he WILL be the Rams #1 pick.

I find it ironic that he's getting NO publicity when he was recently being talked about #1. I feel he's the pick, and everyone else is just a huge smokescreen.

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 09:14 PM

Because we don't want Clausen or because we got rid of Quinn?

I know you were high on Quinn coming out of college but he showed absolutely nothing in his three year stint here.

bored of education
03-21-2010, 09:17 PM
And the Rams will draft Jahvid best with their 2nd round pick?

bored of education
03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Notre Dame QB's and Florida WR's, don't take them high! EVER!

HawkeyeFan
03-21-2010, 09:19 PM
And the Rams will draft Jahvid best with their 2nd round pick?
Jahvid Best, Jonathan Dwyer, Brandon Graham or Sean Weatherspoon, perhaps Dan Williams or Brian Price are all possibilities if they go Clausen #1.

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Jahvid Best, Jonathan Dwyer, Brandon Graham or Sean Weatherspoon, perhaps Dan Williams or Brian Price are all possibilities if they go Clausen #1.

Why would they go Clausen #1? They could easily trade back to someone who wants Bradford probably the Browns and take Clausen at 7 unless a team tries to jump in front of them. I think that would make more sense, they could get some extra picks and still get the guy they want if that's the case.

JFLO
03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Holmgren said the same thing about Tebow, but it seems that he has changed his mind as of late. It seems that Clausen's only destinations now is either Washington or Buffalo, if this maintains any consistency.

HawkeyeFan
03-21-2010, 09:24 PM
Why would they go Clausen #1? They could easily trade back to someone who wants Bradford probably the Browns and take Clausen at 7 unless a team tries to jump in front of them. I think that would make more sense, they could get some extra picks and still get the guy they want if that's the case.
That's what I'm saying. They're pushing the buttons on Bradford and Suh so that some team that desperately wants them can move up and the Rams can slide back and grab Clausen ( hoping he's still there ). But if they're at #1 still and cannot trade back, I have to think they take Clausen.

Bradford is way to big of a gamble at #1.

thetedginnshow
03-21-2010, 09:25 PM

No one can easily trade out of #1.

And while you don't want to really trust GMs at this time of the year, that's a pretty telling statement. I don't really think you can say something like that about a pick that high, a franchise QB no less, and then take him.

MikeTeel
03-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Smokescreen, now people don't feel like they have to trade ahead of the Browns to get him.

gpngc
03-21-2010, 09:29 PM
That's what I'm saying. They're pushing the buttons on Bradford and Suh so that some team that desperately wants them can move up and the Rams can slide back and grab Clausen ( hoping he's still there ). But if they're at #1 still and cannot trade back, I have to think they take Clausen.

Bradford is way to big of a gamble at #1.

He's no more of a gamble than Clausen is.

His shoulder is fine, he'll throw and prove that. Apparently it's actually stronger than it was before the injury.

No one in the know has even hinted at the notion that Clausen is a possibility at #1. All signs point to Bradford or a DT with Bradford, who will gain only positive momentum once he works out, in the lead.

gpngc
03-21-2010, 09:31 PM

And while you don't want to really trust GMs at this time of the year, that's a pretty telling statement. I don't really think you can say something like that about a pick that high, a franchise QB no less, and then take him.

Exactly.

He's new in town and the first quote he gives to the main paper is a bold faced lie badmouthing a guy they are then going to hand the keys to the franchise to a month later? Probably not.

If he is smokescreening here, Holmgren is one wily ************.

SickwithIt1010
03-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Notre Dame QB's and Florida WR's, don't take them high! EVER!

http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/MIN/photos/persons/players/player-cards/percy-harvin-new.jpg

Says hello....

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 09:47 PM

I think this year would be easier to trade out of #1 than in other years because it seems like Bradford is the choice of most teams as the best QB this year. If a team like the Rams do like Clausen over Bradford, they could trade back a little bit and grab some extra picks while most likely still being able to grab Clausen.

At the same time, if they miss out on Bradford/Clausen this years draft is pretty loaded at the top.

bored of education
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM
http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/MIN/photos/persons/players/player-cards/percy-harvin-new.jpg

Says hello....

One is not a trend.

RaiderNation
03-21-2010, 09:50 PM

Says hello....

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0912/nfl.fantasy.studs.week13/images/louis-murphy.jpg

Didnt have a bad year either and he had JaWalrus Ruffles as his QB

bored of education
03-21-2010, 09:53 PM
jeebus if you want to get in to semantics

travis taylor, reidel anthony, travis mcgriff, chad jackson, taylor jacobs say hi too jeebus christ :/

coordinator0
03-21-2010, 09:55 PM

I know you were high on Quinn coming out of college but he showed absolutely nothing in his three year stint here.

I'd say it's because they have Delhomme and Wallace as their QBs. Getting rid of Quinn probably doesn't help Scott's view of them though :).

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd say it's because they have Delhomme and Wallace as their QBs. Getting rid of Quinn probably doesn't help Scott's view of them though :).

Yeah but what was there to get really this free agency period as far as QB.

I'm not a fan of Delhomme but this free agent period SUCKED for QB.

coordinator0
03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah but what was there to get really this free agency period as far as QB.

I'm not a fan of Delhomme but this free agent period SUCKED for QB.

Very true. I don't think they got any worse really, it's just that the future doesn't look any better.

D-Unit
03-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Holmgren has been around the mill. He sure knows how to use reverse psychology. :p

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM

after the last decade it's worth the wait :)

i think getting Holmgren/Heckert is finally gonna be the move that gets us out of the gutter eventually. With Delhomme/Wallace we're upgraded at QB over last year, albeit a 2 year stopgap. Getting Clausen and him busting wouldn't help us at all, I'd rather wait another year than draft a guy who Holmgren doesn't like.

Scott Wright
03-21-2010, 10:18 PM

No, because your top two quarterbacks are Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace and the guy in charge may not draft a signal caller in the top two rounds.

When the Browns get a stud quarterback in the place they will be 2-3 years away from playoff contention. However, the clock doesn't even start until the day they land that quarterback, which looks like it may not be for another year or two.

Scott Wright
03-21-2010, 10:20 PM
jeebus if you want to get in to semantics

travis taylor, reidel anthony, travis mcgriff, chad jackson, taylor jacobs say hi too jeebus christ :/

Maybe the thought should be don't draft Steve Spurrier wide receivers...

bored of education
03-21-2010, 10:21 PM

Would Sidney Rice constitute a Spurrier WR and yes Scott I remember numerous times you have him going to KC in the 2nd or 3rd that year.

Scott Wright
03-21-2010, 10:21 PM
FYI: For those who haven't seen it Peter King did a comparison in last week's Monday Morning QB and Delhomme has been worse than JaMarcus Russell over their last 12 starts.

But at least Delhomme's 35-years-old...

Scott Wright
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Would Sidney Rice constitute a Spurrier WR and yes Scott I remember numerous times you have him going to KC in the 2nd or 3rd that year.

I may be wrong but didn't Rice only spend one season with Spurrier? I think he was a Holtz guy.

Thumper
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Clausen is the best QB in this draft and this shouldn't be questioned. Any team that drafts Bradford over Clausen will regret it.

bored of education
03-21-2010, 10:26 PM
I may be wrong but didn't Rice only spend one season with Spurrier? I think he was a Holtz guy.

You may be right, I'll have to look

SickwithIt1010
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
One is not a trend.

you said "EVER"

so....just thought id share

bored of education
03-21-2010, 10:30 PM
you said "EVER"

so....just thought id share

well i still wouldnt because of just one guy, how's that?

GoRavens
03-21-2010, 10:44 PM
I see Clausen to Oakland personally.

PoopSandwich
03-21-2010, 10:45 PM
No, because your top two quarterbacks are Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace and the guy in charge may not draft a signal caller in the top two rounds.

When the Browns get a stud quarterback in the place they will be 2-3 years away from playoff contention. However, the clock doesn't even start until the day they land that quarterback, which looks like it may not be for another year or two.

Yeah I thought so just wasn't sure. I'm fine with Holmgren not drafting Clausen if he really doesn't feel he's the answer. I'd rather have him pass on Clausen this year and either grab a good QB if there is one in free agency next year or go with Locker if we suck that bad (I hope to god we aren't picking in the top 5 next year we looked alright at the end of the year.)

My #1 scenario is trading up for Bradford as long as it doesnt end up costing us our first rounder next year or our high second rounder this year (something like #7, Rogers, and 2 3rd rounders or something of the sort.)

keylime_5
03-21-2010, 10:52 PM
if you look at history, all of Holmgren's QBs come from trades - not the draft. Steve Young, Brett Favre, Matt Hasselbeck being the three worth mentioning. I have a feeling he won't stray from that blueprint....and when you trade for a guy you don't have to worry about any "clock" of development. The Dolphins went from 1-15 to division champs the year they hired Parcells. Atlanta drafted Ryan and got better overnight. Delhomme hasn't been himself the past year+2008 playoffs. I think with a fresh start he'll be closer to average than he was last year.

princefielder28
03-21-2010, 10:52 PM
As long as they draft Mr. LeFevour, the franchise should be in good hands.

thetedginnshow
03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I think this year would be easier to trade out of #1 than in other years because it seems like Bradford is the choice of most teams as the best QB this year. If a team like the Rams do like Clausen over Bradford, they could trade back a little bit and grab some extra picks while most likely still being able to grab Clausen.

At the same time, if they miss out on Bradford/Clausen this years draft is pretty loaded at the top.

But Bradford isn't the unanimous #1 overall prospect. In some circles he's not even top three. So when the very top prospects aren't at premier positions, I don't think it's easy to trade out of #1. The money there is just too much, not to mention the fact that all the talent evaluators agree that this is a very deep draft, so the compensation needed to make that jump up is probably far more than what people want to give up.

PossibleCabbage
03-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Though, the fact that Urban Meyer runs a goofy spread-option offense where receivers don't run anything close to a full route tree, doesn't really make me want to fall in love with Florida WRs for their NFL potential (or really any other Gator skill players).

Monomach
03-21-2010, 10:57 PM
When front office guys talk about who they do or don't want to draft, it's totally true. They would never, ever lie about something like that to throw other teams off.

Aloysius
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
On his radio show last fall, Holmgren raved about Jake Locker's play in the 4th Quarter of the USC game.

Just a thought...

OneToughGame
03-21-2010, 11:44 PM
On his radio show last fall, Holmgren raved about Jake Locker's play in the 4th Quarter of the USC game.

Just a thought...

Jake must stay by the lake!

Scott Wright
03-22-2010, 12:00 AM

Just a thought...

The Browns better lose every game next year if they want Jake Locker.

AkiliSmith
03-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Judging by the moves they've made so far I'd say there's a pretty good chance of that

GoRavens
03-22-2010, 12:04 AM

Or try to trade up?

Morton
03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Holmgren probably thinks he is good enough at developing quarterbacks that he can pick a random fourth round QB prospect and turn him into a Pro Bowl starter.

Seriously, the guy is great at developing QBs, and as good as he is at it, he probably thinks he is even better than that.

Ego!

GoRavens
03-22-2010, 12:09 AM
Seriously, the guy is great at developing QBs

In that case, I'd say Mallett has more potential.

PoopSandwich
03-22-2010, 12:22 AM
Holmgren probably thinks he is good enough at developing quarterbacks that he can pick a random fourth round QB prospect and turn him into a Pro Bowl starter.

Seriously, the guy is great at developing QBs, and as good as he is at it, he probably thinks he is even better than that.

Ego!

All you ever do is talk **** about the Browns in every thread you're in.

Brown Leader
03-22-2010, 01:19 AM
FYI: For those who haven't seen it Peter King did a comparison in last week's Monday Morning QB and Delhomme has been worse than JaMarcus Russell over their last 12 starts.

But at least Delhomme's 35-years-old...

That's why Seneca will beat him out for the start.

Scott Wright
03-22-2010, 01:36 AM
That's why Seneca will beat him out for the start.

It's hard to fathom but that might actually be worse...

Thumper
03-22-2010, 01:43 AM

can you blame him? The Browns are terrible on the field and off of it.

ToldLikeItIs
03-22-2010, 01:48 AM
Why Scott?

PoopSandwich
03-22-2010, 01:57 AM
can you blame him? The Browns are terrible on the field and off of it.

So should I go into every thread and just rip on the Raiders/Lions/Rams ETC because they're bad?

It could be "Browns acquire Peyton manning for 4th round pick" and he would go "LOL PEYTON MANNINGS A CHOKE AND OLD AND IS ON THE DOWN SIDE OF HIS CAREER WHAT A ****** TRADE"

MikeTeel
03-22-2010, 02:00 AM
So should I go into every thread and just rip on the Raiders/Lions/Rams ETC because they're bad?

It could be "Browns acquire Peyton manning for 4th round pick" and he would go "LOL PEYTON MANNINGS A CHOKE AND OLD AND IS ON THE DOWN SIDE OF HIS CAREER WHAT A ****** TRADE"

Manning is a choke and he is old. That would be a terrible trade for the Browns, yet another mistake they'd make.

RWills
03-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Their offense is so awful I could see them grabbing either Spiller or Bryant with their 7th pick to boost what little explosion they have other than Cribbs, going defense in round 2 and taking a QB in round 3 (McCoy, Pike, LeFevour)

DiG
03-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Their offense is so awful I could see them grabbing either Spiller or Bryant with their 7th pick to boost what little explosion they have other than Cribbs, going defense in round 2 and taking a QB in round 3 (McCoy, Pike, LeFevour)

I agree with you on this one. Ive been saying Bryant at 7 for a while now but I think only if Berry is off the board. I think it will depend somewhat on his pro day in a few days but if he performs as well as I think he will than I think its a serious possibility.

Scott Wright
03-22-2010, 08:34 AM

If Mangini didn't want Crabtree he sure isn't going to want Bryant.

Good luck with that 2nd or 3rd Round QB too:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

DiG
03-22-2010, 08:47 AM
If Mangini didn't want Crabtree he sure isn't going to want Bryant.

Good luck with that 2nd or 3rd Round QB too:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/23qb/23qbs.php

Scott - Where would you now slide Kolb/Henne into the success rating? I know that Kolb hasnt really done much yet but the fact that he still supposedly holds a high trade value says a lot and his stats when he did play were pretty good. 2 out of 4 in 2008 is pretty good.

keylime_5
03-22-2010, 09:44 AM
i think it's more likely a 3rd, 4th, or 5th round QB than a 2nd rounder. And I don't think he'd take that guy with the expectation of him being the QB of the future either.

bitonti
03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
the Browns don't need a quarterback

they have Brett Ratliff

Aloysius
03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
You're finally beginning to understand the Delhomme signing.

On a more serious note, I could see Christian Ponder being someone that would interest Holmgren: smart, mobile, and accurate enough for a WCO. But it's way too early to start hazarding guesses as to who'll be the Browns' next franchise QB.

STsACE
03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
I really hope that this isn't a smokescreen. With all the offseason moves so far, the 1 area of need, HUGE need, is the secondary. No matter what QB we would draft this year, if won't matter for squat. They'd have to help us instantly score 40 pts a game, because our secondary is a very weak link to our team.

Wright is our best DB, and after that, our 2nd best DB from last year was Mike Adams who played CB and he's a Safety.

I know the saying, "If you don't have a franchise QB, then draft one". If the FO doesn't feel like they see anyone who is a franchise QB to take at #7 over the possible defensive positions, then what's not to like?

I know someone is gonna say, "you guys should've taken Sanchez last year at #5". I'm glad we didn't. He put up a mediocre to less than stellar season. Granted, he was a rookie. He also had the 2 best things to help a rookie QB look better than he should and he didn't. The #1 rushing attack and #1 defense.

Unless Bradford, who Holmgren said he likes very much, is somehow attainable without mortgaging our future, then I really don't see an early pick QB (1st or 2nd rounds). The prospects who have visited or had private workouts after their prodays are DBs. At least the majority have been. We've had a few WRs, I believe 2 O-Lineman, maybe 4 guys on defense other than secondary.

I've only heard of Tebow so far being scheduled for a private workout with the team. Depending on what other QBs visit, we can still only assume an early QB won't happen. Holmgren did mention, it'd be hard, unless there was an additional 2nd round pick to take a QB early. We still have a couple players with 2nd round tenders yet to sign them. If we lose one to an offer sheet, everything changes. If Clausen is scheduled to visit the team and workout, Holmgren played us all very well.

Morton
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM

How is this talking **** about the Browns?

I'm stating an opinion about Mike Holmgren. It's a fact that Holmgren is great at developing quarterbacks. One of the best. He probably believes it himself, too.

I personally think Holmgren is a football genius, and the Browns are lucky to have him. If he *could* develop a late-round quarterback into a starter, it will be an amazing thing for the Browns. Nobody has the potential to do it better than Holmgren, too.

Dark Knight01
03-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Cleveland will take Berry, Clausen or Dez!

GoRavens
03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Sam Bradford = Browns future QB.

03-22-2010, 04:26 PM
Sam Bradford = Browns future QB.

And their next Timmy Couch. :)

RaiderNation
03-22-2010, 05:26 PM
I see Clausen to Oakland personally.

JaMarcus gonna play LT then?

STsACE
03-22-2010, 05:32 PM
JaMarcus gonna play LT then?

Heard he was down to 270lb range. My bet is he moves to TE:p

RealityCheck
03-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Is anybody high on Clausen at all?

Addict
03-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Is anybody high on Clausen at all?

plenty of people, pretending the opposing view is an insignificant analysis held dear by a misguided minority is a nifty rhetorical trick but it's not gonna work.

03-22-2010, 07:10 PM
plenty of people, pretending the opposing view is an insignificant analysis held dear by a misguided minority is a nifty rhetorical trick but it's not gonna work.

HATERZ! This is almost as much fun as the times when more than half the board would constantly trash Matt Ryan and then later claim they were supporters of his the entire time. I remember. :rolleyes:

Tebow_Nation
03-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Clausen did good in college and will be picked in the first round so he will be good just like Brian Quinn. Clausen doesn't have the looks quinn had but he has better hair.

keylime_5
03-22-2010, 07:24 PM
every post this guy makes is gold. we should make his posts the common form of currency in the US instead of dollars.

hockey619
03-22-2010, 07:29 PM
^ true fantastic hair....feathered and lethal