PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News...Officially Out-of-Their-Mind

RWills
03-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Russ Lande of The Sporting News predicts that the Lions will use the No. 2 overall pick on Oklahoma OT Trent Williams.

Drafting Williams, who'd probably play right tackle initially in Detroit, would likely be an indictment of Matt Millen's last first-round pick as Lions GM (Gosder Cherilus). Lande says Williams' tape is better than Russell Okung's. At the very least, Williams appears to be locked in as a top-ten pick.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-03-18/sns-mock-nfl-draft-oklahomas-trent-williams-moves-board

What film did this guy watch? Maybe Williams' Junior tape

djp
03-22-2010, 11:59 AM
Russ Lande of The Sporting News predicts that the Lions will use the No. 2 overall pick on Oklahoma OT Trent Williams.

Drafting Williams, who'd probably play right tackle initially in Detroit, would likely be an indictment of Matt Millen's last first-round pick as Lions GM (Gosder Cherilus). Lande says Williams' tape is better than Russell Okung's. At the very least, Williams appears to be locked in as a top-ten pick.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-03-18/sns-mock-nfl-draft-oklahomas-trent-williams-moves-board

What film did this guy watch? Maybe Williams' Junior tape

I am higher than most on Trent Williams, but over Okung? Are you serious? You DO NOT take a right tackle No. 2 overall in any circumstance.

zachsaints52
03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I am higher than most on Trent Williams, but over Okung? Are you serious? You DO NOT take a right tackle No. 2 overall in any circumstance.

But what if you had Pro Bowlers at every position but RT and the #2 pickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Brothgar
03-22-2010, 12:04 PM

I actually like Williams I see him as my #2a OT (1 being Okung 2b being Bulaga) but yeah I would explode into massive expletives if it actually happened. Until he got into the Pro Bowl as a LT I would hate the pick.

Addict
03-22-2010, 12:06 PM
I actually like Williams I see him as my #2a OT (1 being Okung 2b being Bulaga) but yeah I would explode into massive expletives if it actually happened. Until he got into the Pro Bowl as a LT I would hate the pick.

Broth.... you can't be serious and furious about this...

Brothgar
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Broth.... you can't be serious and furious about this...

Yes I can I think Williams could be the 2nd best OT in this draft and has an ability to play LT at the next level. But, Okung is as close to a Franchise LT I've seen in the draft since Joe Thomas. So I don't see why I would be at all happy if Williams was the pick at 2. If we traded down to like 9 and took him there I'd be excited.

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Yeaaaa.... TSN's awful and they make it on to these boards for the wrong reasons every year. Aundrae Allison was a Top 15 value and a first round pick to them, Larry English was 4th on their Big Board a year ago... ToldLikeItIs could offer better draft service than TSN.

RWills
03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
IF they traded down, I could see this. But what game tape did they watch, he struggled last year. from his Jr tapes when he was on the right side he looked like an elite OT

Addict
03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeaaaa.... TSN's awful and they make it on to these boards for the wrong reasons every year. Aundrae Allison was a Top 15 value and a first round pick to them, Larry English was 4th on their Big Board a year ago... ToldLikeItIs could offer better draft service than TSN.

True, I kinda rely on them for NHL updates, and I like their aboot-ing when they report hockey... but their NFL section is a mess.

49ersfuture
03-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Lions coach Jim Schwartz apparently hasn't been notified yet
or he is really good at charades...

http://www.freep.com/article/20100322/SPORTS01/100322005/1049/sports0
1/Lions-coach-breaks-down-Suh-McCoy-Okung

RWills
03-22-2010, 12:26 PM
I think Pro Football Weekley is the most dead-on, I remember they were the first ones I read where they saw Tyson Jackson to the Chiefs and Mayo to the Pats in previous draft's

Finnegans Wake
03-22-2010, 12:30 PM
TSN ain't worth a cup of hot spit.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-22-2010, 12:40 PM
I think Pro Football Weekley is the most dead-on, I remember they were the first ones I read where they saw Tyson Jackson to the Chiefs and Mayo to the Pats in previous draft's

Does the book provide different analysis than the magazine? Like, updated boards and rankings and 40 times and what not? Or is it just the same info?

And yeah, their stuff is usually good.

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 12:42 PM

PFW and DC have probably the best website mock drafts around. Rick Gosslein from the Dallas news also has a few good sources allowing him to consistently compile one of the best mock drafts by mid-late April.

Love Nolan Nawrocki (PFW) and the way he scouts the game. The only must-buy draft mag for me each year, if only for some damn good bathroom/travel reading.

LonghornsLegend
03-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Sporting News is terrible, I stopped reading them a few years ago and they obviously haven't gotten any better since.

coordinator0
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Funny mentioning Pro Football Weekly as being more dead on in a thread complaining about Williams over Okung. Nawrocki has Williams at #4 OVER Okung in his latest mock ;). It was released on March 15th as well, so it's relatively recent.

He also has Haden falling to the Ravens, so I'm not complaining.

RWills
03-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Love Nolan Nawrocki (PFW) and the way he scouts the game. The only must-buy draft mag for me each year, if only for some damn good bathroom/travel reading.

LOL, I already have 2 Mag's in bathroom

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Funny mentioning Pro Football Weekly as being more dead on in a thread complaining about Williams over Okung. Nawrocki has Williams at #4 OVER Okung in his latest mock ;). It was released on March 15th as well, so it's relatively recent.

He also has Haden falling to the Ravens, so I'm not complaining.

That's more due to Williams' attractive fit in a Zone Blocking Scheme that Shanahan is installing. I can see that one, but not the Lions... Ultimately I think Williams ends up somewhere from 9-13.

coordinator0
03-22-2010, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I don't think there's any way Williams goes to DET at #2. Was just throwing it out there :).

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I don't think there's any way Williams goes to DET at #2. Was just throwing it out there :).

I agree man, just was trying to explain the Williams -> Washington as a schematic fit. No way I could rationalize #2 to Detroit though other than "Matt Millen"... but we can't even use that one anymore!

Addict
03-22-2010, 01:07 PM
PFW and DC have probably the best website mock drafts around. Rick Gosslein from the Dallas news also has a few good sources allowing him to consistently compile one of the best mock drafts by mid-late April.

Gosselin, Mayock and Wright is what it's all about IMO.

it's a horrible idea. I'd actually prefer Okung. And I don't like Okung either (gimme a DT dammit!)

coordinator0
03-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Gosselin, Mayock and Wright is what it's all about IMO.

it's a horrible idea. I'd actually prefer Okung. And I don't like Okung either (gimme a DT dammit!)

I wasn't throwing throwing the Williams to DET out there, just the notion of Williams over Okung. If the Lions pas on McCoy or Suh... Mayhew is a true disciple of Millen lol.

regoob2
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
How come I'm not reading a SWDC magazine right now.......?

Babylon
03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
I think Detroit is in a prime position to trade that pick, especially if the Rams were to draft Suh. I could see a host of teams out there wanting to trade up for Sam Bradford. Detroit could add themselves maybe a 2nd and still get one of the top 3 tackles out there (insert your favorite names).

Vox Populi
03-22-2010, 01:45 PM
True, I kinda rely on them for NHL updates, and I like their aboot-ing when they report hockey... but their NFL section is a mess.

The Sporting News =/= The Sports Network (Canada's ESPN)

Addict
03-22-2010, 01:56 PM
The Sporting News =/= The Sports Network (Canada's ESPN)

o right. I'm so used to TSN being the canadien thing... Eh well.

RealityCheck
03-22-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't even want to see the rest of the mock.

Oh wait, I do.

Brothgar
03-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Edit Wrong Thread Delete

BuddyCHRIST
03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Sporting News is really the worst sports magazine ever, its just terrible. Especially with the draft, they had Everette Brown predicted at number 1 overall last year at about this time.

T-RICH49
03-22-2010, 02:53 PM
that Chiefs pick is awesome though