PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Pro Day

ToldLikeItIs
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Iowa-pro-day-results.html

ToldLikeItIs
03-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Pudge will try and dispute this as a fast track, however, if that is true, why did Spievey run a 4.57 now compared to a 4.51 then?

bitonti
03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
its a fast track for angerer but a slow track for spivey :rolleyes:

RealityCheck
03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
AJ Edds = beast

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Pudge will try and dispute this as a fast track, however, if that is true, why did Spievey run a 4.57 now compared to a 4.51 then?

How would I dispute a slower time as a fast track? You're a class act buddy. Spievey's not doing himself any favors with that 40 time (though it says it could be anywhere from 4.49 to 4.62) & bench press number. 6 would have been the lowest among any player at the Combine. Not an impressive offseason for the underclassman and I don't know a team that will consider him before the Third. Mid 3rd-Early 4th would be my best guess at this point as corner remains a premium position.

Tony Moeaki seems to be continuing to help himself. Despite average production for the Hawkeyes, NFL teams may be convinced he'll be a better pro than he was college player. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go as Early as the Late 3rd-Early 4th.

27 Reps is impressive for Bulaga who didn't seem like much of a rep guy, though he plays plenty strong, physical, and nasty on the field. Kansas City is still a strong fit for Bulaga, my #2 Offensive Tackle, though I think his value lies more in the 8-12 area.

Pat Angerer did a nice job redeeming himself a bit after a fairly slow 40 time at the Combine (relative to expectations). If you're an Iowa fan, I'd look for Moeaki & Angerer to be solid values on Day Three (Rds 4-7). I expect A.J. Edds on the latter half of Day Two in the Mid-Late 3rd.

contento
03-22-2010, 06:22 PM
The updated article says other sources had Spievey at 4.49 and 4.52, plenty fast for a zone CB.

What I can't understand is why he bothered to BP if he knew he was only going to get 6 reps(or somewhere thereabouts)? Don't even bother if that's all you can muster...

I still think he's a 2nd round CB, tape don't lie.

ToldLikeItIs
03-22-2010, 06:24 PM
You're pretty hung up on the fast track concept.

Not bad write-ups overall. Spievey's lack of strength is surprising, considering he is one of the more physical corners in the country.

RaiderNation
03-22-2010, 06:25 PM
I wish Bulaga ran a 4.85 40

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 06:28 PM
You're pretty hung up on the fast track concept.

Not bad write-ups overall. Spievey's lack of strength is surprising, considering he is one of the more physical corners in the country.

I'm actually not hung up on fast tracks at all.... there are people around here that think Pro Days mean nothing, while I'm very pro-Pro Day. Ohio State's track is fast (+ .1) and Va Tech's takes the cake (+ .18 or .2), but as a whole I think you can trust the field turf & grass times just as much as any time gotten from Indy. I think a lot of players just train much more specifically after the Combine (where they come in with a full plate.) Good to see Angerer run well & believe it or not he could be drafted ahead of Brandon Spikes when all is said and done.. you can chalk that up to hard work, not a fast track.

Told, make a little room in your PM box. Found a little excerpt on A.J. Edds that you may want to read. It's not too long but because it's from another site I can't post it right here.

T-RICH49
03-22-2010, 06:49 PM

I wish he ran a 6.85

Addict
03-22-2010, 06:53 PM

You're a big fan I take it? Hey maybe Al will come to his senses!

Aloysius
03-22-2010, 07:31 PM
AJ Edds = beastI like Edds a lot, but I'm a little bit surprised he hasn't been able to get that bench over 20 reps (16 at Combine, 18 at pro day). Ideally, you'd like to see higher numbers from a guy who didn't play in the box much in college.

That said, he looked pretty strong last year when he played over the TE, so I'm not all that concerned.

vidae
03-22-2010, 08:31 PM
I wish he ran a 6.85

Haha, that made me laugh.

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 08:36 PM
I like Edds a lot, but I'm a little bit surprised he hasn't been able to get that bench over 20 reps (16 at Combine, 18 at pro day). Ideally, you'd like to see higher numbers from a guy who didn't play in the box much in college.

That said, he looked pretty strong last year when he played over the TE, so I'm not all that concerned.

Yea, a very good coverage Linebacker and an attractive option in 4-3 schemes at the "Sam" spot. He's terrific in both zone & man coverage and is capable of shadowing/running with Tight Ends down the field. His instincts in coverage are perhaps the best of any SLB prospect in this draft and he doesn't play soft though his bench numbers aren't exactly impressive.

The Cardinals (3-4), Eagles, Falcons, and Jaguars are just a few of the teams expressing interest in Edds. I'm not sure whether teams using a "30" front like the Cards see him as a potential ILB. Most teams seem to be looking at Edds at SLB, where Philly/Atlanta & Jacksonville all could use help. I wouldn't be shocked to see a team take a shot in the Late 2nd, but I like his value much more (as I've said earlier) in the later stages of Day Two.

SenorGato
03-22-2010, 08:55 PM
AJ Edds = beast

So underrated a while back...now maybe a couple others are catching on.

FUNBUNCHER
03-22-2010, 09:35 PM
Edds > Chad Greenway

herkyhawkeye
03-22-2010, 10:22 PM
hawkeye fan here to weigh in.

Chris Doyle is our strength and conditioning coach here at Iowa. He is considered by many the best in the business. Nebraska went after him a few years ago and he turned them down. They eventually hired his asst. and protege. Doyle has never been a fan of the bench press. He rarely uses it for his training programs and it usually shows with the iowa players at the combine. Dont get hung up on this. Iowa players are well taken care of in S and C. The results in the NFL should speak for themselves. That staff puts guys in the league.

Moeaki had avg. production in cfb because of nagging injuries. Moeaki is a guy who came in as a borderline top 50 prospect. When he played and was healthy, he was a force. Problem for him was he continually had nagging injuries. He missed a ton of time and played many games as a walking wounded. There were plenty of other games where teams gameplanned him specifically. The good news is none of his injuries will have any lasting effect on his career. No major knee injuries whatsoever. The guy is an all around TE who can block and receive and has a lot of athletic ability. He wont go in the first two rounds and most likely not the 3rd either. If he can stay healthy in the league, he could be one of the best TE's out of this class. Fingers crossed.

Edds is highly underrated IMO and people highly overrate Angerer' lack of size. Both are team first kind of guys who are leaders in the lockerroom. Edds is every bit as good as Greenway. His tackle stats dont show it, but he was not used the same way as Greenway at all. I have seen him first hand cover not only TEs, but wide receivers down field. Angerer is a crazy dude. He is a prankster and is very tough. If the NFL doesnt work out for him, he plans on going into UFC. His tenacity is a stuff of legend. Angerer had something like 25 tackles in the Iowa state championship game with a seperated shoulder. Angerer is not too shabby in coverage either. He had 5 Interceptions as a junior.

Pudge FWIW, I read somewhere that Atlanta graded Spievey as a first rounder following the combine. He was definitely better than either Charles Godfrey or Bradley Fletcher who have been 3rd rounders the past two seasons from Iowa. His junior stats are not as good as his soph year but it is worth noting that teams generally did not pass to his side of the field out of respect to his abilities. If he would fall to the 4th round, he would be an absolute steal. His tape speaks for himself. The only misstep I remember him taking was the one bomb PSU had against Iowa and Amari has admitted that he jumped the route and was out of position.

Thanks for those who actually read this rant. I have been reading for the past few months and figured today was as good as any to start posting. I have sensed the "homer" view of Toldit and agree that hawkeye fans can be big homers. Iowa has no pro teams. We all have our favorite pro teams(Go Bears!), but to the state, Iowa is the pro team. We are homers but tend to know what we are talking about when it comes to the Hawks. Any team that picks up these guys will be happy with what they get.

steelernation77
03-23-2010, 10:49 AM
hawkeye fan here to weigh in.

Chris Doyle is our strength and conditioning coach here at Iowa. He is considered by many the best in the business. Nebraska went after him a few years ago and he turned them down. They eventually hired his asst. and protege. Doyle has never been a fan of the bench press. He rarely uses it for his training programs and it usually shows with the iowa players at the combine. Dont get hung up on this. Iowa players are well taken care of in S and C. The results in the NFL should speak for themselves. That staff puts guys in the league.

Moeaki had avg. production in cfb because of nagging injuries. Moeaki is a guy who came in as a borderline top 50 prospect. When he played and was healthy, he was a force. Problem for him was he continually had nagging injuries. He missed a ton of time and played many games as a walking wounded. There were plenty of other games where teams gameplanned him specifically. The good news is none of his injuries will have any lasting effect on his career. No major knee injuries whatsoever. The guy is an all around TE who can block and receive and has a lot of athletic ability. He wont go in the first two rounds and most likely not the 3rd either. If he can stay healthy in the league, he could be one of the best TE's out of this class. Fingers crossed.

Edds is highly underrated IMO and people highly overrate Angerer' lack of size. Both are team first kind of guys who are leaders in the lockerroom. Edds is every bit as good as Greenway. His tackle stats dont show it, but he was not used the same way as Greenway at all. I have seen him first hand cover not only TEs, but wide receivers down field. Angerer is a crazy dude. He is a prankster and is very tough. If the NFL doesnt work out for him, he plans on going into UFC. His tenacity is a stuff of legend. Angerer had something like 25 tackles in the Iowa state championship game with a seperated shoulder. Angerer is not too shabby in coverage either. He had 5 Interceptions as a junior.

Pudge FWIW, I read somewhere that Atlanta graded Spievey as a first rounder following the combine. He was definitely better than either Charles Godfrey or Bradley Fletcher who have been 3rd rounders the past two seasons from Iowa. His junior stats are not as good as his soph year but it is worth noting that teams generally did not pass to his side of the field out of respect to his abilities. If he would fall to the 4th round, he would be an absolute steal. His tape speaks for himself. The only misstep I remember him taking was the one bomb PSU had against Iowa and Amari has admitted that he jumped the route and was out of position.

Thanks for those who actually read this rant. I have been reading for the past few months and figured today was as good as any to start posting. I have sensed the "homer" view of Toldit and agree that hawkeye fans can be big homers. Iowa has no pro teams. We all have our favorite pro teams(Go Bears!), but to the state, Iowa is the pro team. We are homers but tend to know what we are talking about when it comes to the Hawks. Any team that picks up these guys will be happy with what they get.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that Amari was a better player at Iowa than both Godfrey and Fletcher. He's undervalued at this point.

I think Edds is starting to get overrated though. He's not better than Greenway like a poster wrote earlier. Jeremiha Hunter was arguably as good or better this season. Edds is steady, but he's not going to be a big-play, impact-type defender.

herkyhawkeye
03-23-2010, 02:06 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly that Amari was a better player at Iowa than both Godfrey and Fletcher. He's undervalued at this point.

I think Edds is starting to get overrated though. He's not better than Greenway like a poster wrote earlier. Jeremiha Hunter was arguably as good or better this season. Edds is steady, but he's not going to be a big-play, impact-type defender.

I dont think Edds was any better than Greenway but he definitely is on the level. Greenway and Edds played very different styles of play at iowa. Greenway played off the line. Edds generally dropped back into coverage. The tackle figures really reflect this. Edds is not gonna be a game changing LBer like a Ray Lewis or Brian Urlacher in his heyday. He is gonna be a LBer that will be able to contain a TE, which the league has been quickly turning to utilize them. He will be able to have teams keep the 5th dback off the field to keep the base d. He has plenty of sideline ability and size to rush the passer or go to the sideline. This is a guy who will not be out of position and most times put himself into position to make the play. Clayborn was the star of the defense this year but Edds was the cement that held it all together. Edds is my favorite iowa draft prospect this year.

J-Mike88
03-23-2010, 02:27 PM
.....We all have our favorite pro teams(Go Bears!)...
You had me at hello, but lost me with the Bears.
In Iowa, you should be a Packer fan, or the enemy Vikings.

JK herky. Good info, and welcome to the boards.

Aloysius
03-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Yea, a very good coverage Linebacker and an attractive option in 4-3 schemes at the "Sam" spot. He's terrific in both zone & man coverage and is capable of shadowing/running with Tight Ends down the field. His instincts in coverage are perhaps the best of any SLB prospect in this draft and he doesn't play soft though his bench numbers aren't exactly impressive.

The Cardinals (3-4), Eagles, Falcons, and Jaguars are just a few of the teams expressing interest in Edds. I'm not sure whether teams using a "30" front like the Cards see him as a potential ILB. Most teams seem to be looking at Edds at SLB, where Philly/Atlanta & Jacksonville all could use help. I wouldn't be shocked to see a team take a shot in the Late 2nd, but I like his value much more (as I've said earlier) in the later stages of Day Two.If I recall correctly, Edds said at the Combine that 3-4 teams were looking at him as an ILB, though it's unclear how highly those teams actually value him at that spot. Though he lacks the typical resume for the position, he does have the smarts (36 Wonderlic) and discipline that Belichick disciples like in their LBs.

Also, those cover skills you mentioned could lead a 3-4 team to take a bit of a risk on him, like the Browns did with Kaluka Maiava last year. Though Maiava's weight room numbers (30 bench) were more impressive, I think Edds has a much better shot at developing into a three down 3-4 inside backer.