PDA

View Full Version : Mayock's Updated Top 5

Morton
03-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Mayock has updated his top 5 chart (by positions). This is a video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d81717a14/Mayock-s-top-five

He know has Toby Gerhart as his #4 running back, behind only CJ Spiller, Ryan Matthews, and Jahvid Best. Nice!

bored of education
03-22-2010, 09:35 PM
HE said Gerhart should be a FB :O

Morton
03-22-2010, 09:36 PM

He didn't say he *should* be a fullback, he just said he *could* be a fullback.

He's versatile. But I'm sure he also thinks Toby can be a great halfback too.

vidae
03-22-2010, 09:44 PM
He is your biggest fan!

P-L
03-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Montario Hardesty still gets no respect. Last year he put up 1345 yards, 4.8 ypc, and 13 TD while splitting carries with Bryce Brown. He's 5'11.5" 225 and runs a 4.49 40. He put up 21 reps on the bench, had the best vertical and broad jump of any running back at the combine, and was top four in each of the 3-cone and 20 and 60 yard shuttle.

I definitely respect Mayock, but there are not six running backs better than Hardesty. If he falls out of the top two rounds, there is going to be 31 teams kicking themselves after a year or two.

vidae
03-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Is it true that Hardesty has never fumbled? Not never lost a fumble, but never fumbled period? If so, that's pretty damn impressive.

TACKLE
03-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Montario Hardesty still gets no respect. Last year he put up 1345 yards, 4.8 ypc, and 13 TD while splitting carries with Bryce Brown. He's 5'11.5" 225 and runs a 4.49 40. He put up 21 reps on the bench, had the best vertical and broad jump of any running back at the combine, and was top four in each of the 3-cone and 20 and 60 yard shuttle.

I definitely respect Mayock, but there are not six running backs better than Hardesty. If he falls out of the top two rounds, there is going to be 31 teams kicking themselves after a year or two.

Agree 100%.

Thumper
03-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Agree completely, Hardesty is going to be a stud.

P-L
03-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Is it true that Hardesty has never fumbled? Not never lost a fumble, but never fumbled period? If so, that's pretty damn impressive.
A Vols fan should probably confirm, but I have read that in multiple places.

FUNBUNCHER
03-22-2010, 09:59 PM
The RB position year at the top has a lot of depth this draft IMO, with Spiller, Best, Hardesty, Mathews, Gerhart, and Tate all looking like primetime type runners.

Guys like Dwyer, LSU's Keiland Williams and Charles Scott, UConn's Andre Dixon and UM's Brandon Minor are sleeper guys I could see excelling on the the right teams; i.e. they all look like late round Shanahan type picks.

And I didn't even include the U's Javarris James and OU's Chris Brown.

Halsey
03-22-2010, 10:00 PM
The depth of RB talent in this Draft looks to good to be true. There are too many RBs that will be taken in the first 3 or 4 rounds that look like potential studs backs in the NFL. It will be fun to see who is the cream of the crop over the long run. Most teams shouldn't even consider a RB in the first this year. Why take a Spiller or Matthews in the first when someone like Hardesty, Tate or Gerhardt might be there down the line.

J-Mike88
03-22-2010, 10:09 PM
4.8 YPC in college is horsesh*t. That's certainly nothing to brag about.
As for all the other combine stuff, that's irrelevant.
Chris Henry, the AZ RB, had great combine numbers 3 years ago, after a crappy YPC average at Arizona. He ended up being a bust and they then drafted Chris Johnsono the next year, who had a high YPC average at ECU, and not in the NFL.
Hardesty is overrated by many now, and he's a character risk that deserves to knock him down a round.

bored of education
03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Chris Henry, the AZ RB, had great combine numbers 3 years ago, after a crappy YPC average at Arizona. He ended up being a bust and they then drafted Chris Johnsono the next year, who had a high YPC average at ECU, and not in the NFL.
Hardesty is overrated by many now, and he's a character risk that deserves to knock him down a round.

so IM confused, you saying YPC is nothing?

J-Mike88
03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Scott has him ranked 8th, which I feel is pretty accurate.
Remember, he's already had one torn ACL and also a stress fracture of the leg. It only gets tougher in the NFL!

He only had one season of more than 390 yards for the Vols, and had seasons with a YPC average of 3.6 or less! Come on now. Nobody special would have numbers, lack of production, like that, behind any OL.

Scout Scott says this about him:
Just average speed --- Not overly elusive --- Isn't very explosive and lacks a burst --- Not really a breakaway / big play threat --- Will have some trouble getting outside and turning the corner --- Runs too high at times --- Durability is a big concern --- Relatively limited track record. The type who does everything well but nothing great

Mr.Regular
03-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Im glad he dropped Dwyer. I dont think Dwyer has shown enough on tape or in the offseason here to be considered a top 5 back anyway.
Id go Spiller, Best, Mathews, Gerhart, and Hardesty as my top 5 in some order.

EDIT: Oops, maybe Tate instead of Hardesty... Cant decide, I like them both a lot.

bored of education
03-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I like Lonyae Miller a lot post round 4

FUNBUNCHER
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
4.8 yds/carry is solid, not great. Hardesty put up nice numbers his last year playing for the Vols, and with his size/speed he just says 'feature' back in the pros to me.

He's a better, or at least equal, a prospect to Ronnie Brown when he came out of Auburn.

LookItsAlDavis
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I really believe this could end up being one of the greatest drafts for running backs, much like how the 96 draft was for wideouts. There may be 4-7 1,000 yard rushers (maybe not next year, but soon after) in this class.

J-Mike88
03-22-2010, 10:30 PM
4.8 yds/carry is solid, not great. Hardesty put up nice numbers his last year playing for the Vols, and with his size/speed he just says 'feature' back in the pros to me.

He's a better, or at least equal, a prospect to Ronnie Brown when he came out of Auburn.
WOW... Ronnie Avg'd 6.0 per carry and was a #2-overall pick. He compares much more to Chris Henry the RB than a guy like Ronnie Brown who went #2 overall.

Montario Hardesty

5-11 1/2
225 Lbs
4.49 40.
21 reps on the bench,

Chris Henry
50th overall pick in the 2007 Draft by Tennessee
5-11 1/4
230 Lbs
4.40 40
26 reps on the bench

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Henry_(running_back)
Henry had a poor YPC average in college, and that translated into the NFL.
Monterio's YPC in college is okay at best, and don't expect it to be better than 'okay' up in the NFL.

FUNBUNCHER
03-22-2010, 10:34 PM
It's clear by now that Ronnie Brown should never have been the #2 overall pick, he's way overrated, and IMO is a borderline bust for a RB taken that high in the draft.

His production is more in line with a 3rd/4th rounder.
Brown will be 29 this season with only one season barely over 1000 yards.

Rosebud
03-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Tyson Alualu over Brian Price and Lemarr Houston just re-inforces how little Mayock knows about lineman, dude's a psychic when it comes to the skill positions though, which is why it annoys me that he's attention whoring by having Thomas over Berry.

wogitalia
03-22-2010, 10:56 PM
It's clear by now that Ronnie Brown should never have been the #2 overall pick, he's way overrated, and IMO is a borderline bust for a RB taken that high in the draft.

His production is more in line with a 3rd/4th rounder.
Brown will be 29 this season with only one season barely over 1000 yards.

When healthy Ronnie Brown is one of the better backs in the league. Unfortunately he has never been healthy but how were teams to know that in the draft. I mean look at Peterson, he fell due to durability reasons and so far has been very durable, touch wood.

Rosebud
03-22-2010, 10:59 PM
The RB position year at the top has a lot of depth this draft IMO, with Spiller, Best, Hardesty, Mathews, Gerhart, and Tate all looking like primetime type runners.

Guys like Dwyer, LSU's Keiland Williams and Charles Scott, UConn's Andre Dixon and UM's Brandon Minor are sleeper guys I could see excelling on the the right teams; i.e. they all look like late round Shanahan type picks.

And I didn't even include the U's Javarris James and OU's Chris Brown.

You're missing James Starks.

ThePudge
03-22-2010, 11:04 PM

Did Chris Henry rush for 1350 yards in his career even? Henry wasn't a starting back in college.... That comparison, my friend, is irrelevant. Hardesty was actually a very good back in the SEC and ended his career on a high note.

What is it with these Senior Vols (Robert Ayers, Dan Williams, Montario Hardesty)?... All average->quiet college careers until their Senior seasons where each blew up.

FUNBUNCHER
03-22-2010, 11:04 PM
J-Mike88, why do you keep bringing up the name of former Arizona Wilcat RB Chris Henry in a comment about Hardesty??

What little regard you have for Hardesty, Chris Henry was 10x worse.
Henry never did jack in college, never started, was on juice, and has since busted in the pros.

Hardesty had an excellent final season for the Vols, and as Scott Wright has mentioned, he should only get better in the pros, if he can avoid the injuries that derailed his career at Tennessee.

Clarkw267
03-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I think I just saw someone write that Hardesty is as good or a better prospect than Ronnie Brown was. You my friend, need to put down the crack pipe.

Ronnie Brown is a very good NFL back when he's healthy. Like a top 5-7 back. Injuries have limited his stats over the course of his career, but the production when he plays is undeniable.

Hardesty is a 3rd round guy, who may sneak up into the late 2nd. He wasn't as productive as Brown in college, and doesn't have the size/speed combination that Brown had coming out either.

FUNBUNCHER
03-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I think I just saw someone write that Hardesty is as good or a better prospect than Ronnie Brown was. You my friend, need to put down the crack pipe.

Ronnie Brown is a very good NFL back when he's healthy. Like a top 5-7 back. Injuries have limited his stats over the course of his career, but the production when he plays is undeniable.

Hardesty is a 3rd round guy, who may sneak up into the late 2nd. He wasn't as productive as Brown in college, and doesn't have the size/speed combination that Brown had coming out either.

Ronnie Brown is a BUST, whether it's because of injuries or not. The same way Courtney Brown was a bust, the same way Andre Wadsworth was a bust.

So Brown ran a 4.43 at the combine, that's the only advantage in my mind he has (HAD) over Hardesty, pure straight line speed.

There's no way he was a top 3 pick in any draft; no RB who never started in college and never ran for more than 950 yards in any season in college, ( a number he barely approached once in his Auburn career) should have been drafted that high.

In fact, I would say that Ben Tate will be a better pro than Ronnie Brown, by far.

The guy attempting to crush Hardesty by comparing him to Chris Henry should have made the comparison between Henry and Brown, two RBs more similar in production and measurables.

thetedginnshow
03-23-2010, 12:31 AM
I re-watched some stuff on McKnight and while I don't think he's going to be that good, Mayock isn't as crazy as he seems for putting him at five.

But it does still bug me that Major Wright is on his Safety list and Morgan Burnett isn't.

thetedginnshow
03-23-2010, 12:32 AM
Ronnie Brown is a BUST, whether it's because of injuries or not. The same way Courtney Brown was a bust, the same way Andre Wadsworth was a bust.

So Brown ran a 4.43 at the combine, that's the only advantage in my mind he has (HAD) over Hardesty, pure straight line speed.

There's no way he was a top 3 pick in any draft; no RB who never started in college and never ran for more than 950 yards in any season in college, ( a number he barely approached once in his Auburn career) should have been drafted that high.

In fact, I would say that Ben Tate will be a better pro than Ronnie Brown, by far.

The guy attempting to crush Hardesty by comparing him to Chris Henry should have made the comparison between Henry and Brown, two RBs more similar in production and measurables.

You're crazy. Ronnie Brown was a much better RB in college than Hardesty.

Jakey
03-23-2010, 12:45 AM
At the college level...

Ronnie Brown > Hardesty > Chris Henry

As draft prospects...

Brown > Hardesty > Henry

In the NFL...

Who the hell knows.

This arguement is irrelivent, in terms of draft prospects Hardesty is a solid 2nd rounder. I dont think many people are desputing that.

Clarkw267
03-23-2010, 12:47 AM

Actually Brown ran for over 1000 yards in 2002 with 13 TDs to go along with it. So you're wrong there.

He was also bigger (233 Lbs) about 10 LBs heavier than Hardesty or Tate.

And as for "not starting". You do understand the other back he was sharing carries with was a top 5 pick in the same draft right? Most guys wouldn't have touched the ball if they were in the same backfield with a guy like Cadillac Williams... that includes Hardesty and Tate.

Also I find it pretty funny to call a guy a bust when he clearly has been one of the best RBs in the league when he's healthy. Is David Pollack a bust?

FUNBUNCHER
03-23-2010, 04:50 AM
Clarkw267, how do you quantify the 'best'??

By any standard, Brown as the NUMBER TWO OVERALL pick in the NFL draft has been a bust, and Cadillac Williams has performed worse than Brown in the NFL, another top 5 pick.

Neither one should have been selected in the top 5, period.

J-Mike88
03-23-2010, 08:33 AM
The last 2 NFL seasons, we have seen plenty of glimpses from Ronnie Brown in the Wildcard which showed he was running at a Pro Bowl level.
Ask New England in 2008 about that.

Hardesty never could even avg 4.9 yards a carry on the collegiate level vs the SEC.
Some current comps show Ingram avg'd 6.1 last year. Ryan Mathews 6.6.
The BREAKAWAY threat Toby Gerhart avg'd 5.5 per carry even with a lot of short-yardage carries.
LaMichael James avg'd 6.7. Noel Devine 6.1. Donald Buckram 6.2. Jonathan Dwyer 5.9 even though defenses stacked 11 men in the box vs GT because their QB can't pass.
Ben Tate 5.2 & Anthony Dixon 5.4 vs the same SEC. Dexter McLuster avg'd 6.5, also an SEC runner.
Hardesty just hasn't produced anything better than ho-hum. Production.
Out of these top 40 RB's last year, I only see 2 guys with a lower yards per carry than Hardesty. Why hype that guy up? Based on what? Combine numbers? Or his high school production?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/rushingYards/year/2009/group/80

He also suffered many little injuries -and 2 serious ones- against collegiate competition.
You think he's going to fare better against much bigger, stronger, and faster competition? Come on now. Let's be real here.

MNRunLeft
03-23-2010, 09:30 AM
In retrospect Brown was taken to high but so were a lot of players in that and every draft. I have a hard time calling Brown a bust still because when healthy he's been very productive, Caddy has been more of a bust than Brown and until a year ago Benson was considered the biggest bust of them all.

Biggest difference between Brown and Hardesty's college careers is the fact that Brown was sharing backfield duties with another highly touted RB in Caddy so its not like you can simply say Hardesty had more yards so he's the better back it's a flawed argument.

Brown had his best season as a Sophomore when Caddy got hurt running for 1008 yards only only 175 carries averaging 5.8 ypc. A healthy Caddy got most of the carries their junior season but Brown still averaged 4.7 YPC in a backup role before him impressive senior season where he averaged nearly 6 YPC. Brown's overall body of work in college is more impressive than Hardesty's and it's not as if Tennessee had a top RB blocking him for getting carries earlier in his career like Brown did.

CashmoneyDrew
03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
J-Mike, you obviously know nothing of Hardesty. You just looked at his stats and made assumptions. So let's run through this right now.

1) You say he has character concerns. Where is that from at all? Are you making it up? He is as nice and clean cut as they come. He's never been in any trouble on or off the field. I met him personally and he'll be an asset to any team on or off the field as a leader.

2) You point out his yards per carry. Did you even look at his entire situation? The dreadful offensive line he had to run behind against 8 and sometimes 9 in the box made things extremely tough. He had no passing game to help out and also no run blocking tight ends. Pretty tough situation for a guy facing SEC defenses such as Florida, Alabama, Auburn, etc.

3) You point to the fact that this is his only season of real production. He should have been starting earlier but injuries and Fulmer's favoritism to upper classmen kept him behind Arian Foster who actually started some games in the NFL this season. Otherwise you would have known about him a couple of years ago.

Do some research on a prospect before you just spout off at the mouth because you looked at some statistics please. Thank you and good day.

Also, you must be joking by comparing him to Chris Henry. Being a Titans fan I can't even begin to fathom the stupidity of that comparison. Henry never produced or started at all in a weak defensive conference and was probably drafted higher than Hardesty will go solely off of the combine. Hardesty has his production/character to go along with his great combine.

yourfavestoner
03-23-2010, 11:13 AM
Clarkw267, how do you quantify the 'best'??

By any standard, Brown as the NUMBER TWO OVERALL pick in the NFL draft has been a bust, and Cadillac Williams has performed worse than Brown in the NFL, another top 5 pick.

Neither one should have been selected in the top 5, period.

Eh...look at the top 10 of that draft. I know hindsight is 20-20 but who would you have selected instead?

Alex Smith, Ronnie Brown, Braylon Edwards, Cedric Benson, Carnell Williams, Pacman Jones, Troy Williamson, and Mike Williams.

The next two picks were Damarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman. Those guys fell a little bit because the 3-4 was just starting to get back in vogue and the 'tweener position wasn't highly valued yet.

You have to look at the pick relative to the rest of the draft class. I remember that class being hailed as one of the weakest ones at the top of the draft in years and years, and it's turning out to be very true.

FUNBUNCHER
03-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Looking back, yourfavestoner, Brown and Williams do kind of look like 'value' picks in a weak draft, or else Merriman and Ware should have been top 5.

A good GM is worth more to an NFL team than a franchise QB, IMO.

Being able to consistently identify and draft NFL caliber talent is not for the weak-hearted!!!

P-L
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Now I've seen it all. Apparently when two prospects have great combine it means their careers will turn out exactly the same.

Montario Hardesty had more yards in his first five games this season than Chris Henry had in his entire career at Arizona. Henry never averaged more than 3.5 yards per carry in any season and only averaged 3.3 for his career. Chris Henry was the second best running back on a poor Arizona team who was only drafted based on his potential and receiving ability. Hardesty and Henry both had great combines and both of their last names start with the letter "H." Other than that, there is no comparisons.

4.8 yards per carry isn't great by any means, but it isn't awful at all. Ryan Matthews the "consensus" #2 running back averaged 4.77 yards against teams in BCS conferences this season. I also never claimed Hardesty to be better than Matthews. Ben Tate is also a very good prospect, but he didn't face the defenses of Florida or Virginia Tech. Anthony Dixon gained almost 40% of his yards against Houston, Middle Tennessee State, and Kentucky. Donald Buckram plays for UTEP. I'd bet Hardesty could average 6.0 yards per carry playing against the likes of Houston, Tulane, and SMU. Mark Ingram won the Heisman trophy. Why knock Hardesty because he wasn't as good as the Heisman trophy winner? We might want to put things into perspective next time before we shout out random numbers.

Hardesty injured his knee way back in 2005 and hasn't had a problem with it since he had surgery. In 2007 he battled a sprained ankle. Of Tennessee's last 52 games, Hardesty has played 47 of them including 26 of the last 27. His injury history is something that scouts should take note of, but that's really his biggest concern.

I too would like to hear about these character concerns. Everything I have read on Hardesty indicates that he is a high character player. He's never been arrested or suspended and as far as I know, he's never been disciplined at Tennessee.

RealityCheck
03-23-2010, 12:38 PM
Shall I ask why?

Wait, wait! I know the answer!

J-Mike88
03-23-2010, 12:46 PM
2) I met him personally and he'll be an asset to any team on or off the field as a leader.

3) You point to the fact that this is his only season of real production. He should have been starting earlier but injuries and ......

Well you made part of my point right there. He hasn't been able to stay healthy even on the collegiate level. You know who that reminds me of? Another former Vol, Justin Harrell.
And guess what, Harrell has, amazingly, not been able to stay healthy in the NFL either. Guys need to be available to help.

Guys with a poor track record in college usually, not always, but usually have poor track records in the NFL against bigger and stronger players.

And I know how it works when you personally know a player, if you like them. You automatically see things in a positive light with them. You give them the benefits of the doubt, you stick up for them, you root for them. I understand.
I don't know the guy personally so you might be right about him being a model citizen. Time will tell on that. But production-wise, he's a 3rd-4th round pick. Combine numbers? As we all see with Chris Henry, combine numbers mean little.

touchdownmaker
Tyson Alualu over Brian Price and Lemarr Houston just re-inforces how little Mayock knows about lineman, dude's a psychic when it comes to the skill positions though, which is why it annoys me that he's attention whoring by having Thomas over Berry.

Yes! Absolutely. Not to mention that he dropped Nate Allen from his top five right after the combine. Only to put him back to where he had originally had him with his latest rankings. Really was there a need to move him off the top 5 in the first place?

I love mayock though.

J-Mike88
Shall I ask why?

Wait, wait! I know the answer!
Don't say it !!!

yourfavestoner
03-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Looking back, yourfavestoner, Brown and Williams do kind of look like 'value' picks in a weak draft, or else Merriman and Ware should have been top 5.

A good GM is worth more to an NFL team than a franchise QB, IMO.

Being able to consistently identify and draft NFL caliber talent is not for the weak-hearted!!!

Oh, absolutely. The GM builds the entire culture of your franchise. He picks your coach, your draft picks, and free agents coming in, he's usually heavily involved with the salary structure of your team. He basically IS your team.

Bad teams don't draft bad players. They draft from the same pool as everybody else and ruin the players with the environment of their franchise. It's why the Raiders and Lions (although they may be turning it around) draft bust after bust after bust despite picking much higher in the draft than teams like Indianapolis and Baltimore.

CashmoneyDrew
03-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Well you made part of my point right there. He hasn't been able to stay healthy even on the collegiate level. You know who that reminds me of? Another former Vol, Justin Harrell.
And guess what, Harrell has, amazingly, not been able to stay healthy in the NFL either. Guys need to be available to help.

Guys with a poor track record in college usually, not always, but usually have poor track records in the NFL against bigger and stronger players.

And I know how it works when you personally know a player, if you like them. You automatically see things in a positive light with them. You give them the benefits of the doubt, you stick up for them, you root for them. I understand.
I don't know the guy personally so you might be right about him being a model citizen. Time will tell on that. But production-wise, he's a 3rd-4th round pick. Combine numbers? As we all see with Chris Henry, combine numbers mean little.

I've claimed all along that Hardesty is a late second/early third round talent. I just disagree with all of the other stuff you posted. I will slightly concede injury even though it hasn't been much of a problem his last two seasons at all.

Also, I don't see the Harrell comparisons at all, other than they both went to Tennessee. Harrell was a great prospect before his senior year that could have left early, but came back for his senior year and got hurt then. Hardesty is the opposite. He wasn't a highly touted prospect before his senior season and most of his injuries occurred early in his collegiate career.