PDA

View Full Version : Two Rounds of Genius

DiG
03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
I spent a good bit of time on this one and am mostly happy with it. A few things first. I did not include any trades in this mock so there are a few players that dropped a little farther than I expected. Most noticeably is Jimmy Clausen. I have him at the end of the first to the Vikings whereas, realistically, I think someone (likely the Vikings or someone from round 2) will move up into the late teens to pick him.

You may also notice at several positions I am higher on certain players than others as is reflected in my picks. Especially guys like Bryant, Graham, and Spiller. Lastly, Im very high on corners in the early rounds. They ALWAYS go faster and sooner than you think.

Anyhow, enjoy and as always comments are appreciated. Im more than willing to discuss any of the picks further if you have any questions.

Round 1
1. St. Louis Rams - QB Sam Bradford
2. Detroit Lions - DT Ndamukong Suh
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DT Gerald McCoy
4. Washington Redskins - OT Russell Okung
5. Kansas City Chiefs - WR Dez Bryant
6. Seattle Seahawks - S Eric Berry
7. Cleveland Browns - CB Joe Haden
8. Oakland Raiders - OT Bryan Bulaga
9. Buffalo Bills - OT Trent Williams
10. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE/OLB Brandon Graham
11. Denver Broncos - NT Dan Williams
12. Miami Dolphins - RB C.J. Spiller
13. San Francisco 49ers - OT Anthony Davis
14. Seattle Seahawks - DT Brian Price
15. New York Giants - LB Sean Weatherspoon
16. Tennessee Titans - DE Derrick Morgan
17. San Francisco 49ers - CB Kyle Wilson
18. Pittsburgh Steelers - ILB Rolando McClain
19. Atlanta Falcons - G Mike Iupati
20. Houston Texans - S Taylor Mays
21. Cincinnati Bengals - FS Earl Thomas
22. New England Patriots - DE/OLB Sergio Kindle
23. Green Bay Packers - DL Jared Odrick
24. Philadelphia Eagles - DE Jason Pierre Paul
25. Baltimore Ravens - TE Jermaine Gresham
26. Arizona Cardinals - OT Bruce Campbell
27. Dallas Cowboys - OT Charles Brown
28. San Diego Chargers - RB Ryan Matthews
29. New York Jets - DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
30. Minnesota Vikings - QB Jimmy Clausen
31. Indianapolis Colts - C/G Maurkice Pouncey
25. New Orleans Saints - DE Carlos Dunlap

Round 2
33. St. Louis Rams - DE Everson Griffen
34. Detroit Lions - CB Kareem Jackson
35. Tampa Bay Bucs - CB Devin McCourty
36. Kansas City Chiefs - FS Nate Allen
37. Washington Redskins - QB Tim Tebow
38. Cleveland Browns - QB Colt McCoy
39. Oakland Raiders - DL Corey Wootton
40. San Diego Chargers - NT Terrance Cody
41. Buffalo Bills - WR Arrelious Benn
42. Tampa Bay Bucs - WR Demaryius Thomas
43. Miami Dolphins - WR Golden Tate
44. New England Patriots - OL Rodger Saffold
45. Denver Broncos - C JD Walton
46. New York Giants - S Chad Jones
47. New England Patriots - DL Alex Carrington
48. Carolina Panthers - LB Daryl Washington
49. San Francisco 49ers - RB Jahvid Best
50. Kansas City Chiefs - OL Vladimir Ducasse
51. Houston Texans - RB Montario Hardesty
52. Pittsburgh Steelers - FS Morgan Burnett
53. New England Patriots - TE Rob Gronkowski
54. Cincinnati Bengals - OG Jon Asamoah
55. Philadelphia Eagles - CB Chris Cook
56. Green Bay Packers - CB Patrick Robinson
57. Baltimore Ravens - CB Brandon Ghee
58. Arizona Cardinals - OLB Ricky Sapp
59. Dallas Cowboys - ILB Navorro Bowman
60. Seattle Seahawks - WR Damian Williams
61. New York Jets - WR Brandon LaFell
62. Minnesota Vikings - S Reshad Jones
63. Indianapolis Colts - DL Lamarr Houston
64. New Orleans Saints - OLB Eric Norwood

prock
03-23-2010, 12:31 PM
That is a god damn beautiful Vikings mock.

wicket
03-23-2010, 12:37 PM
pretty sweet saints picks although having jimmy last till 30 is just crazy

touchdownmaker
03-23-2010, 12:40 PM
I like how you mixed it up with the Giants. The consensus is that the Giants jump on Mclain if he is there, but Weatherspoon is more scheme versitile, and in line with what the Giants might do in an agressive cover 2. You did your homework.

Now, for the secodn pick......I would rather Cam Thomas, Lamar Houston, Daryl Washington, Reshard Johnson, Patrick Robinson, Major Wright, and Jahvid Best before Chad Jones, but I am sure I am in the minority amongst Giants fans.

Solid Mock.

vidae
03-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Decent KC mock.

FlyingElvis
03-23-2010, 12:46 PM
22. New England Patriots - DE/OLB Sergio Kindle

44. New England Patriots - OL Rodger Saffold

47. New England Patriots - DL Alex Carrington

53. New England Patriots - TE Rob Gronkowski

I like it.

RealityCheck
03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Awesome mock. Though, Ducasse > Saffold please.

Matthew Jones
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I really like the first and last Patriots pick, but they don't get good value on the other ones. New England has never been a team to place need over value, so I really don't see the Saffold and Carrington picks happening.

Grizzlegom
03-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Spiller is a decent pick for the Phins and I could see it but Wootton is a terrible selection. Doesn't fill a need at all. BPA OLB would have to be the pick there with Allen and Cody both gone if we went with Spiller in the first.

DiG
03-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Spiller is a decent pick for the Phins and I could see it but Wootton is a terrible selection. Doesn't fill a need at all. BPA OLB would have to be the pick there with Allen and Cody both gone if we went with Spiller in the first.

The Phins 2nd round pick was definitely one of my hardest. I liked the value on Wooten (I have him ranked very highly) but just like you said I didnt love the need but I know how Parcells loves the front 7 and I thought he was the best front 7 player available without a big reach.

Don Vito
03-23-2010, 01:00 PM
I would be pretty happy with the Pats mock. Kindle would be great, Saffold offers versatility, Carrington would fill a need at DE, and Gronkowski would add to our lack of bodies at TE and bring some talent.

thenewfeature06
03-23-2010, 01:03 PM
I like Bulaga and if we do get him, I would feel comfortable drafting Demaryius Thomas... I don't know about you but DHB hasn't showed anything of being a #1 and if Thomas does fall he can instantly improve our offense in both the run game and the pass. Not the biggest fan of Mccourty but it makes sense.

freebirdsrams02
03-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Demaryious Thomas would be better than Golden Tate for the Rams in the 2nd round.

Pat Sims 90
03-23-2010, 01:28 PM
With the Passing on Earl Thomas for a WR makes this a horriable Bengals Mock

rockio42
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I won't fight the Bradford pick but in the 2nd round Everson Griffen would be a perfect fit and Demaryius Thomas is a better WR for the Rams considering who we already have Tate is good but too much of the same type of small receiver, also Wootton would be a good option because we need DL help in the early rounds

Bengals78
03-23-2010, 01:32 PM
This mock makes me wonder what is passing for genius these days....
If we pass on Thomas (as PS90 said ESPECIALLY A WR) for anyone not named Eric Berry, Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy I will probably black out and wake up covered in blood in the front offices of PBS and running from the cops

DiG
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
This mock makes me wonder what is passing for genius these days....
If we pass on Thomas (as PS90 said ESPECIALLY A WR) for anyone not named Eric Berry, Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy I will probably black out and wake up covered in blood in the front offices of PBS and running from the cops

Ha interesting choice of words...I understand the desire for Thomas. I like Thomas as well but I think his inexperience and how deep this safety class is could slide him a bit on draft day. Ill be honest I forgot about the Antonio Bryant signing until now, not that I think Bryant is the solution but it probably does make a 1st round wr less likely although i do think you still have to draft a wr this year and i do like benn.

Bengals78
03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Ha interesting choice of words...I understand the desire for Thomas. I like Thomas as well but I think his inexperience and how deep this safety class is could slide him a bit on draft day. Ill be honest I forgot about the Antonio Bryant signing until now, not that I think Bryant is the solution but it probably does make a 1st round wr less likely.

With what we have in terms of a cover safety now....i.e. NONE, Thomas' inexperience will be a minimal impact IMO

DiG
03-23-2010, 01:51 PM
updated based on some comments that i agree with.

BJJ3rd
03-23-2010, 01:52 PM
steelers pick is pretty solid

but clausen at 30??? no chance

DiG
03-23-2010, 01:53 PM
steelers pick is pretty solid

but clausen at 30??? no chance

i dont think hell fall to 30 either VVVV

A few things first. I did not include any trades in this mock so there are a few players that dropped a little farther than I expected. Most noticeably is Jimmy Clausen. I have him at the end of the first to the Vikings whereas, realistically, I think someone (likely the Vikings or someone from round 2) will move up into the late teens to pick him.

49erNation85
03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Nice 9ers picks . I could enjoy those picks !

thebow305
03-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Decent Phins draft, although the Spiller selection does perplex me a bit.

D-Unit
03-23-2010, 02:14 PM
This mock is GENIUS!

Earl Thomas to the Boys is gonna be thrilling! Bowman in the 2nd round is a steal. Cowboys have brought him in for a private workout, so yeah... I think the word "genius" is appropriate here. Our ILBs are OLD, so I hope he is a Cowboy on draft day.

People wanna say the Boys need OL, OL, and more OL... but in actuality, they just need a Guard and they can get that next round. Chris Scott says Hi! :)

DiG
03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Decent Phins draft, although the Spiller selection does perplex me a bit.

The Spiller pick is one of my favorite picks in the draft. The Phins definitely need dynamic playmakers at the skills positions. Spiller has minimal risk and evaluating on tape and talent alone he is a top 10 player in this draft. the way i see it there is a good chance that ronnie brown doesnt return after this year. theres also a good chance ricky williams is a year away from retirement. even if ronnie resigns a new contract, he has always had a ton of injury issues and he has consistently performed best in 2 back systems. not to mention, i think spiller fits the miami offense to a tee.

This mock is GENIUS!

Earl Thomas to the Boys is gonna be thrilling! Bowman in the 2nd round is a steal. Cowboys have brought him in for a private workout, so yeah... I think the word "genius" is appropriate here. Our ILBs are OLD, so I hope he is a Cowboy on draft day.

sorry i had to switch the boys first rounder to charles brown because i moved earl thomas up to the bengals. i know you like brown too though.

CJSchneider
03-23-2010, 02:21 PM
25. New Orleans Saints - DE Carlos Dunlap

Id rather have the guy you selected at #33. I don't know what it is, I just can't get behind Dunlap. Don't ask me why, I just don't "connect" with the idea - but the position is right.

64. New Orleans Saints - OLB Eric Norwood

This is a good pick. Him or Sean Lee will be very nice.

proshoota25
03-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I really like the first and last Patriots pick, but they don't get good value on the other ones. New England has never been a team to place need over value, so I really don't see the Saffold and Carrington picks happening.

couldnt have said it better myself.

DiG
03-23-2010, 02:31 PM
couldnt have said it better myself.

where we disagree is on the value. i understand the carrington argument although i think his value in the mid 2nd is about spot on. he may not be great value there but he isnt bad value either. saffold though i have as a late 1st/early 2nd round grade so i actually think your getting strong value with that pick. differences of opinion on value is all.

MyLostintention
03-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Its very unlikely the Jets take an OLB in the first round as they have so much money invested in gholston and have said they are giving him one more shot. They also value Pace as a elite pass rusher and thomas is a solid starter for now. In this situation i see the Jets either trading up for Odrick, Mays or someone else who catches their eyes or staying there an slightly reaching on Nate Allen, Wooten or even possibly Cody. Apparently they are high on T. Cody as Kris jenkins is going up in age and is recovering from yet another knee injury.

coordinator0
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Great first rounder for the Ravens, but I'm not a big fan of Ghee in the second anymore. Just doesn't seem like the type of corner our coaching staff likes, and Houston would look really good for us.

marshallb
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Absolutely perfect Vikings mock. I've never seen a better Vikings mock. A+++

BaLLiN
03-23-2010, 06:11 PM
good giants picks, Chad Jones would be a nice security blanket if KP isnt around anymore

Rosebud
03-23-2010, 07:52 PM
What were you thinking with the Chad Jones pick?

TheMatriculator
03-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Interesting Chiefs draft. It's not what I would have done (I'd have gone defense with the 1st, they really are that bad) and probably not what Pioli will do (he's never taken a WR in the 1st round), but it certainly addresses three areas ofneed. Nice work!

T-RICH49
03-23-2010, 09:24 PM
uhhhh why Bryant over Berry?

Hermstheman83
03-23-2010, 09:47 PM
The only thing I don't see is us taking Dez Bryant. 1. The guy has "character" issues supposedly. 2. Also, we have two pretty high paid Wide Recievers as it is, where is Dez Supposed to play? The Slot? 3. In FA, we have already addressed Offense pretty exclusively(Thomas Jones, Ryan Lilja, Weigman, Resigned Chambers, etc). To be honest, I wouldn't mind Dez dawning the red and gold...just playing devil's advocate here.

thetedginnshow
03-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Pretty Jets draft.