PDA

View Full Version : If the Big Ben Thing Turns Bad...

wicket
03-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Could the steelers go QB first round if big ben gets in real trouble?

prock
03-23-2010, 02:05 PM
No way. It won't turn sour by then I don't think. I am no legal expert, but I don't think he has even been charged yet? Maybe next year.

yourfavestoner
03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
No way. It won't turn sour by then I don't think. I am no legal expert, but I don't think he has even been charged yet? Maybe next year.

I don't think Michael Vick had even been charged yet before he was suspended. Then again, this is America and potentially killing dogs is far worse than potentially raping women.

Fuhrer Goodell needs to handle this situation very carefully. If Ben is indicted and doesn't receive a suspension, the backlash will be enormous.

PoopSandwich
03-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Steelers will end up getting a high second round pick, draft Tim Tebow, and he will win like 10 super bowls in a row and i'll probably just end up wandering the world growing a long beard and eating bread every day looking for the meaning of life.

Scotty D
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
He doesn't need to be charged to be suspended. Dennis Dixon looked like he could be a decent QB in his limited playing time.

Matthew Jones
03-23-2010, 02:15 PM
I think if he does end up getting suspended they'll probably go with Dixon for the year but that's mostly because I doubt he gets suspended in the next couple of weeks. I also kind of doubt Goodell will actually suspend him until he's in court at the earliest.

CC.SD
03-23-2010, 02:18 PM
This is America, nothing will happen to Ben.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM
To bad Ben isn't into beastiality. Then he would already be suspended!!!!

J-Mike88
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM
This is America, nothing will happen to Ben.
As long as he didn't harm a dog.

Prowler
03-23-2010, 02:23 PM
if he gets charged, then he'll be suspended indefinitely by goodell and i can see him missing the season. the commissioner won't let a franchise quarterback charged with sexual assault play football during the mudslinging legal process.

if he doesn't then he'll either get a strong warning or suspended 2-4 games. he was already warned once by goodell and the steelers organization.

i don't see any way the steelers go qb in first round. they would have to fall in love with clausen, have him drop, and have big ben charged and suspended before they'd even consider it.

bitonti
03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
a mike iupati pick emphasizes the run game... i could see something like that happening... focus the team on the run game in case of a big ben arrest or what have you...

Addict
03-23-2010, 03:21 PM
did you know that if you're famous (...) there's no such thing as 25 to life

it's true...

Jakey
03-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Its more likely if anything happes to ben that we draft CJ Spiller and run the ball non-stop untill ben comes back.

Plus Dennis Dixon has some talent, im not worried at all tbh.

TerribleEd
03-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Its more likely if anything happes to ben that we draft CJ Spiller and run the ball non-stop untill ben comes back.

Plus Dennis Dixon has some talent, im not worried at all tbh.

Here's hoping he doesn't come back. If he had any trade value at this point, I'd happily accept whatever was offerred. He is an embarassment to an otherwise great NFL franchise.

Addict
03-23-2010, 03:55 PM
Here's hoping he doesn't come back. If he had any trade value at this point, I'd happily accept whatever was offerred. He is an embarassment to an otherwise great NFL franchise.

what's that thing they always say? Innocent until proven guilty?

yourfavestoner
03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
what's that thing they always say? Innocent until proven guilty?

What's that thing Dave Chappelle used to say? That if people have been calling you "crackhead" for 15 years, then you're probably a crackhead?

I jest of course.

DeathbyStat
03-23-2010, 04:01 PM
The steelers need to wait until next season....the qb class is much stronger next year, and without Ben this year would be trashed anyway

wonderbredd24
03-23-2010, 04:07 PM
He's going to be suspended... you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. The question is how long.

Ben Roethlisberger continues to put himself in position to make himself and the shield look bad.

Hines
03-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Colbert already said that they won't draft a QB high. I can see a QB being drafted 5-7 round, but they'll go with DD for now if Big Ben gets suspended.

Prowler
03-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Colbert already said that they won't draft a QB high. I can see a QB being drafted 5-7 round, but they'll go with DD for now if Big Ben gets suspended.

stephen colbert?

BeerBaron
03-23-2010, 04:30 PM
I got through the first few post and felt it necessary to point this out.

A player does not need to be convicted or even charged with a criminal or civil offense to trigger possible penalties by the league. Even engaging in prohibited conduct can get you in trouble, regardless of being charged or convicted.

Per PFT:

"The Personal Conduct Policy states that persons "arrested, charged or otherwise appearing to have engaged in conduct prohibited under this policy will be required to undergo a formal clinical evaluation." Even if authorities in Georgia decide that insufficient evidence exists to convict Roethlisberger beyond a reasonable doubt, the mere making of the criminal complaint fits the "otherwise appearing" language."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/roethlisberger-faces-league-scrutiny-even-without-indictment/
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/23/roethlisbergers-status-in-steelers-double-standard-approach-still-isnt-clear/

And this is Ben's 3rd "issue" in the last 4 years...It's brought a lot of negative attention to him and thus, the league. He could totally be in for a justified suspension per league rules.

But no, I don't think they'll draft or bring in a top QB of any kind. They'd probably use Dixon to get through Ben's suspension and go from there.

Phillysteeler
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
John Clayton reported that the steelers were going to move forward with dixon if ben can't play so I doubt they use a first but possibly a later round pick on a guy with possible upside like Jarret Brown or snead.

LonghornsLegend
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Ummm what QB are they going to take in the 1st round? Colt McCoy? Clausen should most likely be gone, there really isn't value at that pick to take a QB.

Also as people have said Dixon has looked very solid and he's only getting better. Considering his first start he looked poised when they opened things up for him, and he was a damn good QB prospect himself until he tore his ACL.

No reason to panic and take a QB early if something did happen. Besides, if Ben got in trouble again, he'd likely get traded, and you could get a kings ransom for him that would probably be a little better then the Cutler trade.

Sign a vet QB, see what Dixon can do as he continues to grow, he'll do fine if the D can continue to play at a high level and the running game runs the team.

Addict
03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah if Big Ben gets in real trouble, more so than just 'he might be in trouble' then I'd say they'll try out Dixon, and if that doesn't work draft a QB next season.

Shane P. Hallam
03-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Dixon will be the QB and we'd take a mid to late round guy to groom if need be. Batch would stick as the back-up most likely.

Unbiased
03-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I love watching Ben play but I'd like to see what Dennis Dixon could do as the starter.

Shane P. Hallam
03-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Rumors coming out the Steelers like Jevan Snead a lot.

GoRavens
03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
I love Dennis Dixon, I can't think of a cooler QB.
maybe Josh Johnson.

BeerBaron
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I love Dennis Dixon, I can't think of a cooler QB.
maybe Josh Johnson.

Guys that can pass reasonably well and can run too. Fun stuff. I like it when QBs have that ability as like a backup option when all else fails.

Don Vito
03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Need 4 Snead

The Steelers like tough players, about the only thing Jevan can do consistently take a hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NS5TH2tmio&feature=related

If you could sum up his 2009 season in one play, that is it. Dropped pass, interception, and he gets ****** up in one play. He did suck at times this year but something like 15 of his 20 picks came on dropped passes or cut off/altogether wrong routes. Plus he had no time to throw this year, but when you lose 3 starters on the OL and one of them is Michael Oher who is replaced by Bradley Sowell bad things are in store. Surprised to see Shay drop that one though.

Brent
03-23-2010, 09:55 PM
stephen colbert?
that's who I turn to for all my advice.

http://www.alarmpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/colbert.jpg

Prowler
03-24-2010, 08:00 AM
i finally googled it. kevin colbert...the highest ranking guy on the steelers not named Rooney. that guy seriously needs a PR firm to help get his name out.

BJJ3rd
03-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Steelers supposedly attended the pro days for Dan LeFevour and Jevan Snead.

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/source-steelers-attend-pro-days-of-qbs-dan-lefevour-jevan-snead/23749/

While I like Dixon, I just don't see him as a starting QB in the NFL. I'm happy to see them looking at other QBs.

holt_bruce81
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
If the Big Ben thing turns bad.......Marc Bulger will be a Steeler.

Pittsburgh can have him for free :)

BJJ3rd
03-24-2010, 07:35 PM
If the Big Ben thing turns bad.......Marc Bulger will be a Steeler.

Pittsburgh can have him for free :)

haha no thanks. i'll take dixon over bulger.

underscore
03-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Things getting better for Ben. Conspiracy theories or not.

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisberger.investigation.2.1587357.html

BJJ3rd
03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Things getting better for Ben. Conspiracy theories or not.

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisberger.investigation.2.1587357.html

Yeah it appears that way after by that article. He still needs to learn to keep himself out of these situations though. thanks for the update with the link!