PDA

View Full Version : Is Gresham Still Great?

alexthegr8
03-24-2010, 12:37 AM
TE Jermaine Gresham was once considered an elite tight-end prospect on this forum (I know because I'm a long time reader despite being a fairly new poster.) In one thread if I remember correctly, Scott had a list of very good, young starting tight-ends in the NFL and did a comparison between them and Gresham prior to Gresham's injury (a list that included Winslow, V. Davis, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey etc.) In that thread, Gresham was actually touted by Scott and a few posters as being a better prospect than many of those tight-ends previously mentioned. So my question is simple. Do you still consider Gresham a tight-end prospect worthy of being mentioned in the same strata as Clark, Shockey and others after what has transpired this year with the rehab and lengthy rehabilitation process? Take the injury into account (it was a torn meniscus and not torn ligaments as has been reported on some less reputable sites) as well as his combine results, prediction for future success etc. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

BeerBaron
03-24-2010, 12:50 AM
I don't know that he was ever an "elite TE" kind of prospect. If you look back through the past decade in the draft, the only TEs you even see going in the top 20 picks are athletic freaks like Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow, and they were both top 10. (Shockey went 14th and he was the only other one I even saw in the top 20.) If I use them as my barometer for what "elite" means, I don't think Gresham was there. Had he come out last year before getting hurt, he probably would have gone in the late teens or early 20s. So I don't think he is or has ever been on that top level of elite TE prospects.

But I do think he's still the best TE prospect in this draft and will go somewhere in the 20-30 range.

CashmoneyDrew
03-24-2010, 01:00 AM
I always kind of thought Dallas Clark was a reach for the colts when he came out early and was drafted ahead of Witten. That was in my early draft fan days though, plus he fit their system better. Wasn't Clark kind of a second round prospect?

SickwithIt1010
03-24-2010, 01:18 AM
TE Jermaine Gresham was once considered an elite tight-end prospect on this forum (I know because I'm a long time reader despite being a fairly new poster.) In one thread if I remember correctly, Scott had a list of very good, young starting tight-ends in the NHL and did a comparison between them and Gresham prior to Gresham's injury (a list that included Winslow, V. Davis, Dallas Clark, Jeremy Shockey etc.) In that thread, Gresham was actually touted by Scott and a few posters as being a better prospect than many of those tight-ends previously mentioned. So my question is simple. Do you still consider Gresham a tight-end prospect worthy of being mentioned in the same strata as Clark, Shockey and others after what has transpired this year with the rehab and lengthy rehabilitation process? Take the injury into account (it was a torn meniscus and not torn ligaments as has been reported on some less reputable sites) as well as his combine results, prediction for future success etc. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

i didnt know there was a tight end position in hockey.

but to get to the question, i dont know if he is an elite prospect because of his inconsistency when it comes to blocking, its not really there. Most of the other guys at least showed that they could push someone around if they needed too. I think Gresham will be a dangerous reciever in this league, and he will still be taken in the first round...i just dont know if hes in the same league as guys like VD.

Rosebud
03-24-2010, 01:41 AM
Gates dominated the league without blocking a single person from the TE position, Gresham is a baller and a great receiver, I think he was a legit top 20 pick before the injury. Now I'd agree he'll go in the 20s but he was a stud.

FUNBUNCHER
03-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Before the injury, Gresham was considered to be the best TE prospect to come out of OU since Eagles and GB great Keith Jackson. I always heard that Gresham at 6'5, 265# could run a 4.5.

Low 4.7/hi 4.6 speed is still really fast for a TE, and I think he's an elite prospect and reminds me a LOT of a young Tony Gonzalez.

Addict
03-24-2010, 06:23 AM
Gates dominated the league without blocking a single person from the TE position, Gresham is a baller and a great receiver, I think he was a legit top 20 pick before the injury. Now I'd agree he'll go in the 20s but he was a stud.

but those are receiving tight ends. They're more big wide receivers than anything else.

I'm hoping that Pettigrew shows how the TE position is ment to be played.

RWills
03-24-2010, 07:49 AM
NFL Network's Mike Mayock said on Tuesday's Path to the Draft program that he doesn't see "any way" Oklahoma State TE Jermaine Gresham will get past the Bengals at No. 21 overall.

Other than the fact that, you know, the Bengals don't use tight ends in the passing game. Gresham isn't an NFL-ready blocker. Drafting Gresham over a Brian Price-type defensive tackle, or an offensive guard like Mike Iupati, would be a clear admission that the Bengals are down on Chase Coffman.

Per Rotoworld

JFLO
03-24-2010, 08:31 AM
I think I put more emphasis on Gresham's bad legs than others. Yes, he tore the ACL in his left leg before this season, but a lot of people don't realize that he tore the ACL in his right leg in a High School basketball game. He's a fine player, an absolute stud, and if he hadn't gotten hurt, he would probably be a Top 15 pick.

However, I honestly wouldn't touch him in the first because of his risk factor.

alexthegr8
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
i didnt know there was a tight end position in hockey.

but to get to the question, i dont know if he is an elite prospect because of his inconsistency when it comes to blocking, its not really there. Most of the other guys at least showed that they could push someone around if they needed too. I think Gresham will be a dangerous reciever in this league, and he will still be taken in the first round...i just dont know if hes in the same league as guys like VD.

:o

I had just finished watching the Chicago/Phoenix game before I typed this post last night. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the substantive response though. How would you rate his receiving skills, or in his case receiving potential, relative to a Vernon Davis, Antonio Gates, or Owen Daniels?

coordinator0
03-24-2010, 10:09 AM
I think he'll go in the twenties, hopefully a the 25th pick. I could see the Patriots and possibly the Bengals (if they finally learn how to use a TE) pick him up before the Ravens though.

RWills
03-24-2010, 10:30 AM
I see 4 teams in round 1 where he can go...Cincy - NE - Baltimore - Arizona.

St Louis in round 2 if he is available

Addict
03-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I see 4 teams in round 1 where he can go...Cincy - NE - Baltimore - Arizona.

St Louis in round 2 if he is available

You forgot Nawlins.

Also I don't think there's any doubt he's the top TE, and I would be amazed if he falls out of the first.

P-L
03-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Gresham isn't an NFL-ready blocker.
I disagree with this assessment. People are underrating Gresham's blocking skills simply because he wasn't asked to block too often. When he was asked to block on occasion, he more than held his own.

superfly69
03-24-2010, 11:18 AM
He has amazing talent. But if he can't stay healthy what difference does it make. I think he drops into the 2nd and goes somewhere in the top 5 picks of that round. Maybe to St. Louis with the 33rd pick.

bitonti
03-24-2010, 05:04 PM
i dont know how a player who has missed that much time can still be considered Great. I have similar concerns about Bryant and Bradford. the NFL pays people to play... an injured Or suspended player can't help the team from the training room and the injury guy still gets paid, which really burns em up.

its true that luck plays a part in injuries... anthony munoz had maybe the worst pre-draft injury report possible from his time at USC... ended up a hall of famer... but it affected his value... just like it affects the value of gresham

A Perfect Score
03-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I think hes one of the better TE prospects we've seen in a very long time. The speed things are overblown, even if 4.6/4.7 was slow, which it isnt, Gresham is a long strider and gets faster then longer he is running. Hes big, fast, smooth, runs good routes, blocks willingly, and has glue on his hands. The way he extends towards the ball is eerily reminiscent of Tony Gonzalez and Ive been saying for months he is the 2nd best receiving weapon in this draft besides Dez Bryant. If he stays healthy, and that is the only knock on him, he will be a star in the NFL. I have him graded as a top 15 player in this draft, and would be ecstatic if the Ravens drafted him at 25.

wicket
03-24-2010, 06:32 PM
You forgot Nawlins.

Also I don't think there's any doubt he's the top TE, and I would be amazed if he falls out of the first.

if the saints draft him I will kill some babies, no way saints draft him, they are sure to draft defense early and often

JFLO
03-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I disagree with this assessment. People are underrating Gresham's blocking skills simply because he wasn't asked to block too often. When he was asked to block on occasion, he more than held his own.

Agree with your disagreement of the assessment. One of the many reasons why I can't stand Todd McShay, was when he pointed out that Gresham couldn't hold his own against Brian Orakpo?

Really, no ****? A tight-end couldn't hold his own against an All-American DE who went 1st round and was also known as one of the strongest players in the nation?

Gresham isn't as good a blocker as Brandon Pettigrew was (from a perspective standpoint) but his blocking is just fine.

Flyboy
03-24-2010, 07:10 PM
He's one of the few BPA that if available at #32 I would love to add to the Saints.

SickwithIt1010
03-24-2010, 09:19 PM
:o

I had just finished watching the Chicago/Phoenix game before I typed this post last night. Sorry about that.

Thanks for the substantive response though. How would you rate his receiving skills, or in his case receiving potential, relative to a Vernon Davis, Antonio Gates, or Owen Daniels?

Compared to those guys i would say that he isnt quite at the level that VD was at coming out of Maryland. I know that VD was a huge work out warrior but he has shown that he is a great blocker and is an pro bowl caliber TE. I think he is a notch below Gates but is prolly around the same when it comes to blocking.

jnew76
03-24-2010, 09:33 PM
IMO Gresham has the best feel for the TE position from a receiving perspective coming out of college since Dallas Clark. He is natural and effortless at everything he does in the receiving game. He is good in traffic and in the open field. He understands angles, coverages, and presents a great target for his QB at all times.

The medical concerns are there and teams will have to rely on their doctor's in the final analysis.

lod01
03-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I always kind of thought Dallas Clark was a reach for the colts when he came out early and was drafted ahead of Witten. That was in my early draft fan days though, plus he fit their system better. Wasn't Clark kind of a second round prospect?

Clark is one helluva TE but he also benefits from having Manning at QB. Put him in a Mike Martz system out of college and you got a waste of unknown talent. Many times it depends where they go.

I like Jimmy Graham's potential even though he is raw. Ed Dickson too.

ThePudge
03-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Jermaine Gresham was my favorite college Tight End of all time... Kellen Winslow & Vernon Davis weren't the college players, nor were they as suited to become redzone threats as the Sooner prospect... He needs to get back on the field, but he was a Top 10 value for me last year and is a Top 15 value this year in my opinion. I would LOVE to have him at 21.