Thunder&Lightning
03-24-2010, 01:49 PM
whats the knock on him? 4.53 40?

DeathbyStat
03-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Reminds me of Marvin Harrison or Jimmy Smith

BlueBandit24
03-24-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm a big Williams fan -- he's my #2 wide receiver behind Bryant. He's very smooth, an excellent route-runner, and has solid hands. He may not have the upside of some of the other receivers, but I feel he's about as safe a bet as there is at the position. I feel he will make a great #2 NFL wideout and could potentially be a #1 on a team with a weaker receiving core.

yourfavestoner
03-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Reminds me of Marvin Harrison or Jimmy Smith

Nah...Smith and Harrison were two of the fastest guys in the NFL in their primes. He's way more Keenan McCardell or Reggie Wayne that Jimmy Smith/Marvin Harrison.

superman
03-24-2010, 03:36 PM
i like the reggie wayne comparison

wicket
03-24-2010, 03:37 PM
knocks: lack of upside, not 'special'

he is however a good receiver and I wouldnt fault any team drafting him in the second round, the guy will contribute for many years

JFLO
03-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't think Williams can ever be a #1 guy for a team. He's probably the best route runner in the class.

I think some people knock on him simply because he is from Southern California. SoCal receivers usually bust more than they do boom, so I think some people don't like him for that basic reason.

I think he has a good future ahead of him though.

Thumper
03-24-2010, 03:57 PM
He doesn't have as much difference maker potential as guys like Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn and Demaryius Thomas have. Simple as that, what you see is what you get with Williams, nothing that is going to blow anyone away but he just a really solid receiver.

Personally I like to compare him to Jerricho Cotchery or Steve Smith (Giants).

DeepThreat
03-24-2010, 04:00 PM
I've been comparing him to Wayne for months. I think he could go anywhere from a surprise pick in the late 1st to the early 3rd.

superman
03-24-2010, 04:39 PM
reunion with sanchez? jets could use a sure handed good route runner to go along with mr dropsies

Malaka
03-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Nah Jets need a playmaker, they got a solid 3rd won guy in Cotchery all ready. I think Williams compares well to Steve Smith (NYG) but his ceiling is probably Reggie Wayne which is pretty damn good I don't know if he will get there, I just think he'll be a solid guy in the league for many years.

Diehard
03-24-2010, 04:44 PM
He has nice hands, runs great routes and can recognize/find holes in coverage - seems to me he could be very productive catching the short-intermediate stuff the Broncos' offense.

If we are going to draft a WR early, this is the guy I'd like to see in orange and blue.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-24-2010, 04:44 PM
As a prospect reminds me a lot of Mark Clayton.

P-L
03-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Damian Williams really doesn't have any weaknesses. The problem with him is that aside from route running, he isn't exceptional at anything. The NFL draft is all about upside and Williams doesn't have enough to be talked about towards the top of the draft. Despite that, I still have him as my #2 receiver and he is one of my favorite prospects.

bitonti
03-24-2010, 04:58 PM
the OP asks a good question

no one really has a good answer

i Guess if he ran a 4.41 or something he'd be looked as more of a real first rounder

the "big WR from USC" label does in fact hurt him with people

altho I do agree he'd be perfect for Jets they will look for him later than 29

V.I.P
03-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I been on the Damian Williams bandwagon. :D I kept saying the Seahawks will get him in the 2nd round, but the don't have a shot anymore after making that ridiculous trade with the Chargers. Hopefully Williams slips to the mid 2nd round, so we can pick up our second 2nd rounder.

jnew76
03-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Williams is my #3 behind Bryant and Thomas, but I think he has the highest floor BY FAR of any receiver in this draft and is not far behind them IMO. Love the Reggie Wayne comparison.

Williams might be a victim of his own smoothness. He is so smooth that he does not look explosive on film. However he had a better 10yd split, short shuttle, and 3-cone than Golden Tate. His junior tape with Mark Sanchez at QB is some of the best and most polished college WR tape I have seen. He understands the nuances of the WR position. Understands coverages and how to exploit them. Comprehends and processes information at game speed. Williams can come in and start from day one for 90% of the teams in the NFL.

yourfavestoner
03-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I see more McCardell in him that Wayne, but that's just me. Wayne is more of a technical receiver...he's precise in his technique, timing, etc. McCardell was more savvy...he just knew where holes would open up in zones and could work the underneath stuff to death.

Redskins got a great WR coach in McCardell. Dude is an absolute football junkie.

Mr.Regular
03-24-2010, 11:13 PM
I just wrote a piece on him in my WR post in my blog (link in sig).

I love Williams. He's my #3 WR prospect but could easily be #2 (Im debating between him and Tate in that spot). He pretty much has it all. Good in space, exceptional route runner, experience in a pro style offense, great size, very physical, good enough speed...

SickwithIt1010
03-24-2010, 11:14 PM
i dont think there is a knock on Damian. I think he is prolly one of the more polished in the class, but he may have topped out already. He may not continue to grow, like some of the others. He will be a great number 2 WR in the league for a long long time, and could be a 1 in some systems, or certain teams.

FrankGore
03-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Damian is smoooooooooth and sure-handed. He doesn't have the top-end speed/explosion that you look for out of a #1 receiver and that's why he's mostly perceived as a 2nd rounder/#2 type receiver in the league. But I'm pretty sure he will go somewhere and produce very well in that role at worst; at best he could be a #1 regardless with his route-running and feel for the game.

brat316
03-25-2010, 12:47 AM
Key Johnson smooth? Old Keyshawn not young. Because young Key was fast.

Me Likey Rookies
03-25-2010, 12:58 AM
I been on the Damian Williams bandwagon. :D I kept saying the Seahawks will get him in the 2nd round, but the don't have a shot anymore after making that ridiculous trade with the Chargers. Hopefully Williams slips to the mid 2nd round, so we can pick up our second 2nd rounder.

What would you think about drafting 2 WRs in the 2nd? A Tate/Benn at 35 and Williams at 42. The Bucs' current WR depth chart is terrifying. And I think there is no way Kyle Wilson drops to 35.

BRAVEHEART
03-25-2010, 12:59 AM
Can't beleive it hasn't been said yet in this thread, but Damian (if given a good QB) Is a good YAC guy. Knows how to get the most after the catch in any situation (whether the defender is close in his face, or off of him). He prides himself in this, and was known by Coach Morton (USC's WR coach) as the "Yac Master".

V.I.P
03-25-2010, 01:51 AM
What would you think about drafting 2 WRs in the 2nd? A Tate/Benn at 35 and Williams at 42. The Bucs' current WR depth chart is terrifying. And I think there is no way Kyle Wilson drops to 35.

Tate, and Williams ?? Yeah, any other WRs ?? No, but realistically i only see us selecting one WR early. I think we're gonna see what we have in Reggie Brown this season first. If he doesn't work out then we just draft a guy like Aj Green, or Julio Jones to be the #1 WR next season. And yeah i'm exaggerating with Kyle Wilson at 35 :D I'll change it Devin McCourty.

thetedginnshow
03-25-2010, 02:11 AM
Can't beleive it hasn't been said yet in this thread, but Damian (if given a good QB) Is a good YAC guy. Knows how to get the most after the catch in any situation (whether the defender is close in his face, or off of him). He prides himself in this, and was known by Coach Morton (USC's WR coach) as the "Yac Master".

He tries, anyway. He goes down too easily for that to translate all too well. It works for him when he's returning kicks, though.

coCANES17
03-25-2010, 04:53 AM
There are no knocks. He just doesn't have the eye candy like size (Byant and Thomas) or pure speed (Tate). When all is said and done he will probably be the best WR to come out of this class.

He is a great athlete that has a terrific feel for the game, works hard, stays out of trouble, stays humble and loves the game. That's usually a recipe for good things to come.

The thing that stood out to me when I watched him is his awareness. That's what I mean by feel. He's always in the right spot, he always knows where the defender is, he always knows what the quarterback is doing and where the ball is going to be thrown. It's traits like those that help separate the good players from the potentially great players at the next level.

Don't be fooled by the lack of hype, Williams has the potential to be a great player. People will say he has what it takes to be solid but not great. I disagree.

holt_bruce81
03-25-2010, 05:13 AM
Reminds me of a young Torry Holt.

SenorGato
03-25-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm a big Williams fan -- he's my #2 wide receiver behind Bryant. He's very smooth, an excellent route-runner, and has solid hands. He may not have the upside of some of the other receivers, but I feel he's about as safe a bet as there is at the position. I feel he will make a great #2 NFL wideout and could potentially be a #1 on a team with a weaker receiving core.

+1

Not my #2 WR...that's going to the disturbingly underrated Brandon Lafell, but Williams also falls into the severely underrated category.

I think he's Reggie Wayne 2.0. He and Gilyard are probably the smartest on field WRs in this draft...Bryant too, but Bryant's aided by his general freakishness. And WR is a position that requires savvy too...

03-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Reminds me of a young Torry Holt.

This one I really like. He can take over the landscape of a game at times and I wouldn't put it past him to be a #1 option for some team in a year or two. I believe he can step in right now and start for somebody, that's how pro-ready I feel he is. No one's talking about him but come draft day we may be looking at one of the draft's greater steals in the second round.

draftguru151
03-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Damian Williams really doesn't have any weaknesses. The problem with him is that aside from route running, he isn't exceptional at anything. The NFL draft is all about upside and Williams doesn't have enough to be talked about towards the top of the draft. Despite that, I still have him as my #2 receiver and he is one of my favorite prospects.

Same. Though I think I'd label his hands as exceptional and his quickness and smoothness is something I'd take over every other WR in this draft. Very good punt returner to boot, top 10 in average PR, took 2 for TDs this season. I can definitely see him growing into a #1 WR.

Clarkw267
03-25-2010, 10:23 AM
When I see Williams play the first guy that comes to mind is Wayne for me as well. He's just an overall very solid football player with no glaring weaknesses. However, in the same breath he isn't flashy or super explosive. I'd definitely look at him in the late 1st or early 2nd.

I'd put him behind Bryant and Thomas, and before guys like Tate and Benn.

SenorGato
03-25-2010, 10:30 AM
The 3 WRs I see going in the first are Bryant, Lafell, and Williams. Tate or Thomas might go too, but I think Gresham is the only other pass catcher that's a lock to go in the first round.

Rosebud
03-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Dude reminds me of former Trojan Steve Smith, he's got more upside because of his size, but he has the same smooth route running, great hands and great instincts.

CC.SD
03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
There is no knock, he is as silky as they come and will be a blue chip asset for whoever drafts him. <3

Clarkw267
03-25-2010, 01:50 PM
The 3 WRs I see going in the first are Bryant, Lafell, and Williams. Tate or Thomas might go too, but I think Gresham is the only other pass catcher that's a lock to go in the first round.

I don't get the love for La Fell. At least not before the late 2nd / early 3rd.

He wasn't overly productive to begin with, and when you take into account he did a lot of his damage against non SEC competition (LA Tech, Tulane, Troy, App St, La. Lafayette) , I don't think he belongs in the conversation with the top 5 or 6 WRs.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-25-2010, 01:53 PM
He appears to be one of the safest bets at WR but you never know. The same things were said about Mark Clayton coming out. Amazing route runner, great hands, ready ton contribute right away, only weakness is ideal size.

PrimetimeTheDon
03-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Williams is not a game changer. That is the knock and it is a very real one. He's not a high-pointer, he's not a speedster, he's not a tackle breaker. Damian has true 4.55 speed. He's not McCluster, Bess, or Welker. He does not make up for his lack of true speed with great acceleration.

It's clear that Williams is a worker as we've all read multiple reports about him building rapport with Sanchez when Sanchez was the backup. He essentially just out-worked all the bigger faster options on the team. That's great and it will help him in the NFL but he'll never be a dominant True #1. He wasn't a dominant true #1 in college either.

I don't like the Reggie Wayne comparison because Wayne is thicker and has ridiculous range. Wayne has some special qualities that I just don't see in Williams. I don't like the Marvin Harrison comparison because Harrison in his prime was MUCH faster than Damian. I don't like the Jimmy Smith comparison for the same reason, Jimmy was fast in his prime, he was a legit deep threat.

Williams is none of those things.

I liked the Keenan McCardell comparison. He has that type of ceiling. I also think Steve Smith NYG is an accurate comparison.

I have a hard time understanding how someone can watch Golden Tate play then watch Damian Williams play and tell me Damian is/will be the better player.

PrimetimeTheDon
03-25-2010, 02:26 PM
He appears to be one of the safest bets at WR but you never know. The same things were said about Mark Clayton coming out. Amazing route runner, great hands, ready ton contribute right away, only weakness is ideal size.

Mark Clayton was a game breaker in college. He was not considered a safe bet either.

Caulibflower
03-25-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a hard time understanding how someone can watch Golden Tate play then watch Damian Williams play and tell me Damian is/will be the better player.

I'm with you there. I'm not a Notre Dame fan by any means, but Golden Tate's highlight videos are sick. And I agree with you double when we're talking about running after the catch; Tate runs like a demon-possessed bowling ball. Uh...sorry about the sacrilege, Catholic folks.

Damian "Smooth as a Baby's Bottom" Williams-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwbTD7_PUc

Golden "Demon-Possessed Bowling Ball" Tate-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Shq4-9Xn5M

Note: When it takes a 10+ minute video to fit in all of your touchdowns, you're doing well.

Bengals78
03-25-2010, 07:20 PM
That is some horrible music for the Tate video....

Caulibflower
03-25-2010, 07:25 PM
That is some horrible music for the Tate video....

But...I'm living my life like it's Golden!

....Who really leaves the sound on for highlight videos? If it's not a radio commentary, it almost always sucks.

Bengals78
03-25-2010, 07:27 PM
But...I'm living my life like it's Golden!

....Who really leaves the sound on for highlight videos? If it's not a radio commentary, it almost always sucks.

something heavy or up beat.

thetedginnshow
03-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Tate has a higher ceiling than D-Will, but also a lower floor.

SenorGato
03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't get the love for La Fell. At least not before the late 2nd / early 3rd.

He wasn't overly productive to begin with, and when you take into account he did a lot of his damage against non SEC competition (LA Tech, Tulane, Troy, App St, La. Lafayette) , I don't think he belongs in the conversation with the top 5 or 6 WRs.

I'm just Mayocking him right now.

Mayocking being to throw out a random underrated at the moment good player ahead of other good players to remind people this guy is there and has traits that might allow this to be true.

Now I'll explain...he's SEC tested, he's a senior, he's bigger than the non-Thomas guys, he's more polished than Thomas, he was a TD machine for LSU (11 in '09), he's their best big play WR, he plays alot like their last big play WR, and generally speaking he's better than he's currently being given credit for.

I'll put it another way that might sound dumb but it's fun to me. Bryant would be the John Abraham type talent...explosive and just a playmaker in the making. Lafell is the Shaun Ellis type talent. He's going to be a steady guy, hopefully stays durable, has an all around game, and all that jazz. A team could do worse than picking Lafell amongst the 2nd WR, and that in itself gives him a weird kind of value.

In this draft I think he's the big WR version of Damian Williams, also a guy who should be steady and then some.

RJS113
03-25-2010, 11:26 PM
As others have mentioned, Williams does everything good, but nothing elite. He should have a long career as a solid #2 WR. I think his best comparison is Ike Hilliard.

lod01
03-26-2010, 10:20 AM
There is no knock, he is as silky as they come and will be a blue chip asset for whoever drafts him. <3

Dude is smooth. So much so that you are right, you can't find anything to improve on with this guy. Thus no 'upside' it seems is the knock.

I wouldn't even put a no hands bum like LaFell in the same league as Williams.