PDA

View Full Version : Callahan Bright - 6'3 343 lb. NT

nofalcons10
03-24-2010, 05:38 PM
posted 41 reps on the bench press at the N.C. state pro day today.

former 5 star recruit that was supposed to play at FSU but never did because of his grades. had another minor marijuana possesion charge a while back but seems focused on getting drafted.

he was once rated higher than darren mcfadden, ndamakung suh, and michael oher.

here is his story: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/02/24/bright/index.html

ToldLikeItIs
03-24-2010, 06:07 PM
He was an absolute monster in high school. A legit monster.

MikeTheDudeV2
03-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Hmm, I always pull for a guy who is trying to turn his life around. And it sounds like he has some truly unique, freakish qualities that could help him out in the NFL. I hope a team will at least sign him onto their scout team.

Scotty D
03-24-2010, 06:12 PM
That was an interesting article, thanks for posting.

prock
03-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Good read.

Addict
03-24-2010, 07:00 PM
it'd be pretty weird to see him succeed. I'd like to see it happen though, good underdog-story

bitonti
03-24-2010, 07:40 PM
i'm a buyer... especially at late round/UDFA prices

descendency
03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
A seventh round pick on a 320 lb, 6'3 NT who can move and put up 41 bench presses at 225 is definitely a good risk to take.

killxswitch
03-24-2010, 08:21 PM
This year's Walter Thomas?

vidae
03-24-2010, 08:36 PM
Good luck to the kid, I'm pulling for him.

FUNBUNCHER
03-24-2010, 08:37 PM
Man, if he gets it together, he sure does pass the 'eye test' for prototypical 34 nose.

Given I root against particular teams, but never an individual prospect to fail.
Hope he makes it and becomes a star on a team I HATE, then I'll slam him!!LOL

M.O.T.H.
03-24-2010, 09:47 PM

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/29723_f520.jpg

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/04/25/sports/25nfl.1.600.jpg

I know I fell for those amazing measurables. haha.

Duffman57
03-26-2010, 10:41 AM
This guy seems like an incredible fixer upper at NT, since he has all the tools, but JUST DOESN"T HAVE THE COACHING. Like at all. If he can get to a team where he can be coached up and such, and if (which IMO is a HUGE if) he has truly turned his life around like that article says, then he could really get turned around and he could be a dominate player in this league. I think he has more measurables than Haloti Ngata who is just a FREAK and even better natural ability (just that factor where he is just so fluid in everything he does.)

Again, HUGE project, but he's a low risk REALLLLLLLLLLY high reward type pick that i could see either ammounting to being nothing, or amounting to something great.

I always like to hear about the guys who are turning their lives around, and i'll never root against an individual prospect to fail, so i wish him the best, and hopefully he can end up on my Chargers.

Rosebud
03-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Is it me or is this one of the deepest NT drafts in a long time? You've got Dan Williams who's a first round lock, Cody who'll probably be a top 40 pick, Cam thomas who's a likely second rounder and then Linval Joseph and Torrell Troup in the mid rounds before getting to the late rounders like Bright, Woods and Granger.

RaiderNation
03-26-2010, 02:01 PM
I really wish the raiders draft a legit 4-3 NT like this

CC.SD
03-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I feel like every year there's some freak DT that has managed to bust even before hitting the NFL, that somehow manages to gear up some hype and make it into a training camp. That said, what else are 6th rounders/7th rounders/UDFA for? Someone will take a shot on those measurables I'm sure.

coCANES17
03-26-2010, 11:02 PM
him and Granger were scary mofos coming out. Watching them go against High School offensive lines was just unfair.

FUNBUNCHER
03-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Who remembers Cardinals DT Eric Swann?? Never played in college, got a little run in a minor semi-pro league, and was drafted 6th overall by the Cards in 1991.
10 year career, fairly decent DT, made a couple pro bowls on some bad Cards teams.

When you scout guys like Bright, IMO you really have to do extra diligence to research them beyond their measurables.
It's worrisome he couldn't qualify academically to play at Florida State, but I don't see the kid as total screw-up, borderline thug.

If I felt he could handle the pressure of being a pro football player OFF the field, I'd have no problem drafting him, I just don't know where.

From a physical standpoint, I think he's a better NT prospect than Cody, and that's purely based on raw power/strength.

I think he's a candidate to go off the board VERY early in the draft, maybe the first 50 picks.

Also, how much is technique a requirement to play adequately in the middle of 34??
Asking because I'm a 4-3 guy and have very little fan experience watching my team play a 34 base defense

redbills
03-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I'll take him on the PS for a few years see if anything happens. Don't think he gets drafted.

redbills
03-26-2010, 11:26 PM
look what i found
http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:-fOaAgu6SMgJ:www.nfldraftblitz.com/2008_mock_draft.htm+Callahan+Bright+Draft&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Pick #1 Round 1 Team TB
*Callahan Bright (DT) Harriton HS Bright’s combination of strength and athleticism will remind Buc’s fans of their former Pro Bowl tackle Warren Sapp.

lol

Duffman57
03-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Who remembers Cardinals DT Eric Swann?? Never played in college, got a little run in a minor semi-pro league, and was drafted 6th overall by the Cards in 1991.
10 year career, fairly decent DT, made a couple pro bowls on some bad Cards teams.

When you scout guys like Bright, IMO you really have to do extra diligence to research them beyond their measurables.
It's worrisome he couldn't qualify academically to play at Florida State, but I don't see the kid as total screw-up, borderline thug.

If I felt he could handle the pressure of being a pro football player OFF the field, I'd have no problem drafting him, I just don't know where.

From a physical standpoint, I think he's a better NT prospect than Cody, and that's purely based on raw power/strength.

I think he's a candidate to go off the board VERY early in the draft, maybe the first 50 picks.

Also, how much is technique a requirement to play adequately in the middle of 34??
Asking because I'm a 4-3 guy and have very little fan experience watching my team play a 34 base defense

Technique is a pretty big part, but there are ways to work around it for NT's, or from the scheme that we ran. If you get a guy with those type of measurable's, but no technique, it will, like most players, take a year to 3 years to totally develop them, but its not a overly hard thing to do.

The technique is important, but basically any NT or DE prospect is going to take a while to develop. Even Cody, who played in basically an NFL type NT will have to learn quite a bit of technique stuff to have the same success in the NFL. So it shouldn't take much more than any other prospect to do fix up his technique.

Although the technique IMO isn't the biggest problem. And honestly, its not hard to learn the technique at all, its somewhat simple stuff. The biggest problem is that it JUST TAKES TIME to not only learn the technique but make it a instinct where you dont think about it and just do it automatically. In the NFL, if you take a second to think, thats a second too much, and you'll get dominated, especially up front.

Just one question i had, was did anyone actually SEE this kid play? Because it seems like alot of people are just focusing on his measurables and completely ignoring his film, granted this was his first year back from not playing football in a LONG time.

zachsaints52
03-27-2010, 01:00 AM

I was so happy when the Saints got him, but he lasted 10 minutes. Made me sad :(

philly19143
03-27-2010, 06:28 PM
In 2005 Bright was the #1 ranked DT by Rivals. He played at a high school right outside of Philadelphia, Pa. He was a absolute monster. Unfortuately some youthful mistakes created a detour in his quest for the NFL.

The same is true of Marques Slocum, who was also in the 2005 class with Bright and out of West Philadelphia Catholic H.S. Slocum was the #1 ranked OG by Rivals and the #5 DT by Scout. Also a Parade All-American and standout at DT in the 2005 Army All American game. Spent two years at Michigan before falling off track academically. Like Bright, he Slocum is attracting attention from NFL scouts and coaches. Participated at Temple pro day: 6'4+ 347lbs, 5.1 40 yd, 33 reps @225lbs, 7.7 3 cone, 35 inch arms. Redskins, Packers, Chargers, Giants, Jets, Seahawks, just some of the teams showing interest. Check out highlights via YOUTUBE: enter Marques Slocum.

Both of these guys will be big steals as late draft picks or free agents if they play up to their god given ability. Both as talented as any DT in this years draft!

superman
03-27-2010, 06:33 PM
look what i found
http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache:-fOaAgu6SMgJ:www.nfldraftblitz.com/2008_mock_draft.htm+Callahan+Bright+Draft&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Pick #1 Round 1 Team TB
*Callahan Bright (DT) Harriton HS Brightís combination of strength and athleticism will remind Bucís fans of their former Pro Bowl tackle Warren Sapp.

lol
wow i remember xavier lee. thought for sure he was going to beast in college.

philly19143
03-27-2010, 06:34 PM
In 2005 Bright was the #1 ranked DT by Rivals. He played at a high school right outside of Philadelphia, Pa. He was a absolute monster. Unfortuately some youthful mistakes created a detour in his quest for the NFL.

The same is true of Marques Slocum, who was also in the 2005 class with Bright and out of West Philadelphia Catholic H.S. Slocum was the #1 ranked OG by Rivals and the #5 DT by Scout. Also a Parade All-American and standout at DT in the 2005 Army All American game. Spent two years at Michigan before falling off track academically. Like Bright, he Slocum is attracting attention from NFL scouts and coaches. Participated at Temple pro day: 6'4+ 347lbs, 5.1 40 yd, 33 reps @225lbs, 7.7 3 cone, 35 inch arms. Redskins, Packers, Chargers, Giants, Jets, Seahawks, just some of the teams showing interest. Check out highlights via YOUTUBE: enter Marques Slocum.

Both of these guys will be big steals as late draft picks or free agents if they play up to their god given ability. Both as talented as any DT in this years draft!

FUNBUNCHER
03-27-2010, 07:53 PM
As I said, I don't think he's a head case like Maurice Clarett or Lawrence Phillips; he appears to have been more immature than anything else.

With the right team, right environment, and a mentor to help guide him off the field, Bright could be an epic steal.

Rosebud
03-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Man if the giants where at that dude's work out that makes me happy, because it means we're actually looking at big DTs, under spags we wanted guys in the 295-315 range at most and wanted guys who could play the run and pass, but what we really could use is a guy in the rotation who'll just eat up blockers and plug his ******* gap. Glad to see Fewell seems more open to having a massive run plugger.

Duffman57
03-28-2010, 12:27 AM
look what i found

Pick #1 Round 1 Team TB
*Callahan Bright (DT) Harriton HS Brightís combination of strength and athleticism will remind Bucís fans of their former Pro Bowl tackle Warren Sapp.

lol

That just basically shows that what you do in HS doesn't mean **** for the NFL. lol

And for some reason people still think Sam Young and Myron Rolle are going to be great because they were HS studs. It means diddely squat.

K Train
03-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Is it me or is this one of the deepest NT drafts in a long time? You've got Dan Williams who's a first round lock, Cody who'll probably be a top 40 pick, Cam thomas who's a likely second rounder and then Linval Joseph and Torrell Troup in the mid rounds before getting to the late rounders like Bright, Woods and Granger.

imagine if phil taylor came out

K Train
03-28-2010, 01:01 AM
look what i found

Pick #1 Round 1 Team TB

lol
thats awesome....and back then a pretty legit analysis of the class.

only one first rounder in there with stewart, but alot of interesting prospects with doucet, hills, connor, davis, johnson and williams

vidae
03-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Bright will be wearing KC red next year.

Bosanac01
03-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Wow he couldn't get 820 on the SAT. That is bad.

Job
03-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Wow he couldn't get 820 on the SAT. That is bad.

He only tried like three times.

Sveen
03-28-2010, 04:40 AM
I was so happy when the Saints got him, but he lasted 10 minutes. Made me sad :(
Same for me. Maybe we'll give this guy a chance too? Absolutely an intriguing guy :)

D-Unit
03-28-2010, 05:02 AM
I want him on the Cowboys. Now.

jetsfan0099
03-28-2010, 01:22 PM
I'll take him on the Jets to develop, let him play behind Jenkins and Pouha and have Rex Ryan coach him up.

LonghornsLegend
03-28-2010, 01:51 PM
I want him on the Cowboys. Now.

I'm not gonna lie, after doing some research and seeing the potential I do too, badly.

Thing is, I don't think he'll be a 7th rounder/UDFA like some people here think. I'm guessing 4th-5th round, big guys with extreme potential and strength juts don't last that long honestly. I'd be shocked if he was there in the 7th round.

Bosanac01
03-28-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't think he'll get drafted. He did nothing last 5 years except get into trouble.

FUNBUNCHER
04-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Was he drafted??

Sveen
04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
No, and I haven't seen him being signed as an undrafted free agent either. Wouldn't at all mind if the Saints gave him a shot.

FUNBUNCHER
04-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Come on Bruce!! Skins need a NT like yesterday.
Bright is the kind of UDFA who could sign for a disproportionate amount of money considering he wasn't picked during the 7 round draft.

I would not be surprised if there's a bidding war for his services going on as we speak.

vidae
04-25-2010, 03:37 PM
And I hope KC is bidding as well. Dude could be a beast and Crennel can get the most out of his DLines.

LonghornsLegend
04-25-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm glad someone bumped this, I was hoping we took him in the 7th but I couldn't remember his name for ****. I would love if we gave him a shot in Training Camp, but let's be honest, we all know the Jets are going to get this guy and make him the future dominant NT of the future.

Just seems like they are always making these types of moves, if I had to bet on a team jumping on him first it would be them.

derza222
04-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm glad someone bumped this, I was hoping we took him in the 7th but I couldn't remember his name for ****. I would love if we gave him a shot in Training Camp, but let's be honest, we all know the Jets are going to get this guy and make him the future dominant NT of the future.

Just seems like they are always making these types of moves, if I had to bet on a team jumping on him first it would be them.

I hope so...would be great for the Jets' coaching staff to get to work with a talented guy like Bright. They've had a couple solid UDFA signings but haven't gotten too much done and that's usually how Tannenbaum likes to fill out the roster as opposed to making late round picks...so presumably there's more to come there. He's be a nice pickup.

superman8456
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
My only problem with him is that he has been out of football for a while. Not to mention the quality of opponents.

nofalcons10
04-26-2010, 03:00 PM
his teammate 6'3 320lb NT louis ellis was signed to an UDFA contract by the dolphins.

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedailydolphin/2009/04/30/did-the-dolphins-finally-find-a-nose-tackle-louis-ellis/

no word on callahan bright as of yet.

FUNBUNCHER
04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Anyone have a scoop on why there's been NO movement on Bright at all??

You hear anything, Scott?? There's gotta be something up if his teammate has gotten more action than Bright.

FUNBUNCHER
05-10-2010, 04:58 AM
Anybody heard a thing about him yet??

Addict
05-10-2010, 07:25 AM
I can't find anything. No news = good news maybe?

bearsfan_51
05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
You guys are hilarious.

CC.SD
05-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Whoops, sometimes you have to play football to make it in the NFL I guess.

K Train
05-13-2010, 06:15 PM
i cant believe no one is even gonna bring him in as a camp body....wtf do you do in society with all that strength? lol

guess hes got a future in manual labor

LookItsAlDavis
05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
He should trim down and try out some mma. That seems to be the trend.

Rosebud
05-13-2010, 08:16 PM

Do you ever see Bright being able to cut down to 265? I don't, at least not for a long time which on top of all of the fighting technique his slow ass would have to learn would mean that he's not a viable MMA fighter until he's into his 30s. So even if his athletic gifts worked to his advantage in MMA I doubt he'd ever be able to make a real living at it.

superman8456
05-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Do you ever see Bright being able to cut down to 265? I don't, at least not for a long time which on top of all of the fighting technique his slow ass would have to learn would mean that he's not a viable MMA fighter until he's into his 30s. So even if his athletic gifts worked to his advantage in MMA I doubt he'd ever be able to make a real living at it.

He almost won states his freshman year of highschool wrestling heavyweight. He lost because he got pissed off and started wrestling stupid. Lost by points to the eventual champ and came in 7th.

Rosebud
05-26-2010, 09:39 PM
He almost won states his freshman year of highschool wrestling heavyweight. He lost because he got pissed off and started wrestling stupid. Lost by points to the eventual champ and came in 7th.

And if he ever wants to fight in anything other than freakshow super heavyweight fights in Japan he'll have to be able to cut to 265. That's a lot of weight for a guy currently around 340. Plus just because he's a wrestler doesn't make him a high caliber MMA fighter, it's a start but it'd take years for him to become skilled enough to be much of a draw.

descendency
05-26-2010, 10:30 PM

Kimbo Slice all over again. MMA requires a ton of skill which I doubt he has.

The Dude Abides
06-04-2010, 08:28 AM
MMA fans are so ******* serious. Lighten up and have some fun, they're just saying how everybody and their mom now tries MMA after they top playing their original sport. Nobody said he is the the next GSP.

You act like everything is an attack on MMA's integrity.

ToldLikeItIs
06-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Which is very impressive considering he wrestled in Pennsylvania.