PDA

View Full Version : Purpose of the NFL Draft

BJJ3rd
03-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey all,

I'm doing an extended definition essay in my college writing course on the NFL Draft. So right now I'm trying to think of 2 or 3 purposes of the NFL Draft for franchises. I have a few but they all are fairly similar. Looking for some input from others if you'd be willing. Anyone got anything? Thanks!!

yourfavestoner
03-25-2010, 11:33 AM
The most important purpose of the draft is to establish some form of competetive balance in bringing in new NFL talent. Without a structure in place, all newly eligible players would essentially be free agents, free to sign with the highest bidder.

FlyingElvis
03-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I'd say the current commish is using the draft to extend the relevance and therefore the profitability of the NFL season. Especially considering the newest change in format which moves the start of the draft into prime time advertising territory.

BJJ3rd
The most important purpose of the draft is to establish some form of competetive balance in bringing in new NFL talent. Without a structure in place, all newly eligible players would essentially be free agents, free to sign with the highest bidder.

perfect!! thank you. I'm definately going to start off my points with that one.
+rep

Rosebud
Since then the draft itself has become an event on the NFL schedule which helps them keep their fans excited and make some additional cash, as they not only get to air it but also build up hype around rookies to wrangle up some jersey sales.

Edit: mother-******* flying elvis, beat me to the punch...It's war *****, let's go.

BJJ3rd
03-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I'd say the current commish is using the draft to extend the relevance and therefore the profitability of the NFL season. Especially considering the newest change in format which moves the start of the draft into prime time advertising territory.

great thanks! how can i make this relate to an individual franchise though? cause i'm basing my points on the effects of the draft on individual franchise. thank you

BJJ3rd
03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Since then the draft itself has become an event on the NFL schedule which helps them keep their fans excited and make some additional cash, as they not only get to air it but also build up hype around rookies to wrangle up some jersey sales.

Edit: mother-******* flying elvis, beat me to the punch...It's war *****, let's go.

hahahahaha

yourfavestoner
03-25-2010, 11:52 AM
great thanks! how can i make this relate to an individual franchise though? cause i'm basing my points on the effects of the draft on individual franchise. thank you

By nature of all 32 teams participating, it helps every franchise involved. That's what's beautiful about draft day...everybody thinks they are a winner.

Look at the New Orleans Saints as an example. Displaced by Katrina, rumors swirling about a possible move to San Antonio. All of this was fixed with one draft class (2006). The marketability of Reggie Bush opened a torrent of new revenue (in both marketing and merchandising), and he wasn't even the best pick of that draft class! It included Roman Harper, Jahari Evans, Zac Strief, and Marques Colston. That draft class by itself cemented the Saints in New Orleans and was the foundation for their Super Bowl win.

contento
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
The purpose of the draft is for me and my late-20's early 30's friends to break out the beer bong and act like college kids again....every year.

I consider the draft my Christmas, and have for the past 10 years. The same guys show up every year(although were all pissed about the horrible new format- hey thanks Goodell, I really wanted to have to take Friday off work, moron) and it's fun as hell.

so stick that in your essay and smoke it!

Prowler
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
with this draft structure, small revenue teams like jacksonville have an equal shot at gaining elite talent for their teams. if the nfl just let every rookie sign freely, then the higher revenue teams such as washington, dallas, etc would have a monopoly on the higher tier athletes. imagine if 6 of the top 10 prospects were to sign with only 2 teams. small revenue teams would have no chance at getting better.

which this goes with favestoner's point, i'm just throwing individual franchises out there for you.

FlyingElvis
03-25-2010, 12:05 PM
The TV money is the biggest source of revenue sharing in the league now thanks to the lack of CBA. So the money coming in from advertising and the network rights has a significant impact on a franchise's ability to remain competitive - especially the "small market" teams.

Oh it's on MoFo!!

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/5/17/roundonefi128555359334193836.jpg

Rosebud
03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.tvgasm.com/shows/images/pr/5/__9_ZX6WzUNbI_RnA3DnOqSVI_AAAAAAAAAtA_ZKwPTg9gWm8_ s1600_sumo-wrestler.jpg
Victory...it is mine.

BJJ3rd
03-25-2010, 12:34 PM
The purpose of the draft is for me and my late-20's early 30's friends to break out the beer bong and act like college kids again....every year.

I consider the draft my Christmas, and have for the past 10 years. The same guys show up every year(although were all pissed about the horrible new format- hey thanks Goodell, I really wanted to have to take Friday off work, moron) and it's fun as hell.

so stick that in your essay and smoke it!

haha got it. made it all caps, bold, and underlined as well haha

CC.SD
03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Maybe this isn't worth a main topic in your essay, but it's worth a few paragraphs: the draft has become the #1 way that the NFL stays in the public consciousness. After all, the season is only from September to December for most teams. The sheer blitzkrieg of data, testing events, pro days, and media coverage on the draft keeps the offseason at bay and the fanbases involved, a huge factor in why the NFL is America's #1 sport right now.

BJJ3rd
03-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Maybe this isn't worth a main topic in your essay, but it's worth a few paragraphs: the draft has become the #1 way that the NFL stays in the public consciousness. After all, the season is only from September to December for most teams. The sheer blitzkrieg of data, testing events, pro days, and media coverage on the draft keeps the offseason at bay and the fanbases involved, a huge factor in why the NFL is America's #1 sport right now.

i mentioned something along the lines of the season being a year round thing due to the hype leading up to the season, the season, the hype leading up to the draft and then the draft.

I think my essay turned out pretty well. Thanks guys!!!

no bare feet
03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
It's to get rookies on to a team via a structured system (sorta) : )

Addict
03-25-2010, 02:54 PM
perfect!! thank you. I'm definately going to start off my points with that one.
+rep

wow YFS, that's a solid rep point earned :P