PDA

View Full Version : PF28's Expanded Rankings (some analysis too)

princefielder28
03-25-2010, 03:36 PM
QB
1. Sam Bradford* :: Oklahoma
2. Jimmy Clausen* :: Notre Dame
3. Dan LeFevour :: Central Michigan
4. Tim Tebow :: Florida
5. John Skelton :: Fordham
6. Zac Robinson :: Oklahoma State
7. Jevan Snead* :: Ole Miss
8. Levi Brown :: Troy
9. Colt McCoy :: Texas
10. Jarrett Brown :: West Virginia
11. Tony Pike :: Cincinnati
12. Mike Kafka :: Northwestern
13. Sean Canfield :: Oregon State
14. Jonathan Crompton :: Tennessee
15. Tim Hiller :: Western Michigan
16. Bill Stull :: Pittsburgh
17. Matt Nichols :: Eastern Washington
18. Rusty Smith :: Florida Atlantic
19. Ryan Perrilloux :: Jacksonville State
20. Daryll Clark :: Penn State

Underrated Prospect :: Zac Robinson
Overrated Prospect :: Colt McCoy

Overall impressions :: Everyone knows that Bradford and Clausen are head and shoulders above the rest of the field if you’re looking for a “franchise QB” but there’s probably eight or nine players who have the chance to be players at the next level if they fall into the right situation and get the necessary coaching. I know the success rate, or lack thereof, when it comes to taking a quarterback outside of round one and I wouldn’t advise a team waiting and taking a chance on one of these lower guys instead of Bradford or Clausen, but I think you’re going to see these lower guys being solid #2 QBs and spot starters in the NFL. It may not seem glamorous, but how many quarterbacks make it through the year completely healthy; having that solid #2 QB can be so important.

RB
1. CJ Spiller :: Clemson
2. Ryan Mathews* :: Fresno State
3. Ben Tate :: Auburn
4. Jahvid Best* :: California
5. Toby Gerhart :: Stanford
6. Montario Hardesty :: Tennessee
7. Dexter McCluster :: Ole Miss
8. Jonathan Dwyer* :: Georgia Tech
9. James Starks :: Buffalo
10. Joe McKnight* :: USC
11. Anthony Dixon :: Mississippi State
12. LeGarrette Blount :: Oregon
13. Joique Bell :: Wayne State
14. Stafon Johnson :: USC
15. Lonyae Miller :: Fresno State
16. Chris Brown :: Oklahoma
17. Charles Scott :: Louisiana State
18. Andre Dixon :: UCONN
19. Andre Anderson :: Tulane
20. Shawnbrey McNeal* :: SMU

Underrated Prospect :: Ben Tate/James Starks
Overrated Prospect :: Jonathan Dwyer

Overall impressions :: This is a bunch of guys that I really like, and given the increase in a two back system, I think a number of these guys will be able to come at contribute right away. I would say outside of the top four or five there’s probably not starting caliber guys (and I talking through the duration of an entire season, not an injury replacement), but these guys will be able to fill the niche of whatever a team is lacking in their backfield. I mention James Starks as an underrated prospect and I know there are the injury question marks with him, but before that he was easily one of the top five guys in this draft class at running back, and of the guys outside the top five I think he has the greatest potential to be a starting back in the league.

WR
1. Dez Bryant* :: Oklahoma State
2. Golden Tate* :: Notre Dame
3. Arrelious Benn* :: Illinois
4. Demaryius Thomas* :: Georgia Tech
5. Damian Williams* :: USC
6. Brandon LaFell :: Louisiana State
7. Mardy Gilyard :: Cincinnati
8. Eric Decker :: Minnesota
9. Taylor Price :: Ohio
10. Andre Roberts :: Citadel
11. Carlton Mitchell* :: South Florida
12. Seyi Ajirotutu :: Fresno State
13. Riley Cooper :: Florida
14. Antonio Brown* :: Central Michigan
15. Jeremy Williams :: Tulane
16. Jacoby Ford :: Clemson
17. Mike Williams* :: Syracuse
18. Jordan Shipley :: Texas
19. Dezmon Briscoe* :: Kansas
20. Emmanuel Sanders :: Southern Methodist
21. Joe Webb :: Alabama-Birmingham
22. Alric Arnett :: West Virginia
23. Blair White :: Michigan State
24. David Gettis :: Baylor
25. Freddie Barnes :: Bowling Green
26. Danario Alexander :: Missouri

Underrated Prospect :: Seyi Ajirotutu
Overrated Prospect :: Dezmon Briscoe

Overall impressions :: If you’re a team looking for a receiver, whether it’s a speed guy or a big redzone target, this is probably the year to go and get what you need. Dez Bryant is a special player, and the talk of him sliding due to these characters concerns is somewhat laughable. The guy is a game changer and whichever sets aside the character concerns and drafts him will be happy they did so. After Bryant there’s a bit of a drop-off, but I think there are five guys after him who have the ability to be a very good #2 WR, and some even have the potential to be a #1. After those guys you have probably a dozen or so who can be important options in a team’s passing attack, whether it’ll be the slot guy who moves the chains, the vertical threat who can stretch the field or the big guy who will win you some jump balls down in the redzone. I think each guy I have listed will be able to make a contribution at some point, assuming they avoid injuries, and I’m sure there’s guy who I don’t even have listed who will contribute as well.

TE
1. Jermaine Gresham :: Oklahoma
2. Rob Gronkowski* :: Arizona
3. Aaron Hernandez* :: Florida
4. Ed Dickson :: Oregon
5. Garrett Graham :: Wisconsin
6. Jimmy Graham :: Maimi(FL)
7. Dennis Pitta :: BYU
8. Anthony McCoy :: USC
9. Colin Peek :: Alabama
10. Dorin Dickerson :: Pittsburgh
11. Tony Moeaki :: Iowa
12. Andrew Quarless :: Penn State
13. Nathan Overbay :: Eastern Washington
14. Michael Hoomanawanui :: Illinois
15. Nate Byham :: Pittsburgh

Underrated Prospect :: Garrett Graham
Overrated Prospect :: Anthony McCoy

Overall impressions :: It seems that we haven’t had much talent at this position in recent memory, and I think this class, much like every other position, has quite a bit of pro talent and potential in it. The biggest question mark with this group is health though because you look at the top two guys, especially Gresham, and you want to believe that they’ll be durable but there are those question marks. This class doesn’t have many big time blocking tight ends but given the transformation of the game and the passing attack, the ability of these guys to catch the football with regularity is huge. Jimmy Graham seems to be the big wildcard in this bunch because he has the size, hands, and ability to stretch the field to possibly be a #1 option at tight end, but he’s still in the process of transitioning to football and his ceiling is a little unknown.

OT
1. Russell Okung :: Oklahoma State
2. Bryan Bulaga* :: Iowa
3. Anthony Davis* :: Rutgers
4. Trent Williams :: Oklahoma
5. Charles Brown :: USC
6. Vladimir Ducasse :: UMASS
7. Bruce Campbell* :: Maryland
8. Jared Veldheer :: Hillsdale
9. Jason Fox :: Miami(FL)
10. Tony Washington :: Abilene Christian
11. Selvish Capers :: West Virginia
12. Kyle Calloway :: Iowa
13. Thomas Welch :: Vanderbilt
14. Derek Hardman :: Eastern Kentucky
15. Ed Wang :: Virginia Tech
16. Kevin Haslam :: Rutgers
17. Chris Marinelli :: Stanford
18. Sam Young :: Notre Dame
19. Dennis Loadolt :: Penn State
20. Will Barker :: Virginia

Underrated Prospect :: Derek Hardman
Overrated Prospect :: Bruce Campbell

Overall impressions :: Before diving into the entire group I would to address Bruce Campbell. He has all the physical tools that anyone could ever want or imagine, but his days at Maryland were not numbered with domination and superiority, but rather they were numbered with mediocrity. He has the biggest range from floor to ceiling of maybe any prospect in this draft, and that ceiling will probably be too tempting for some team not to take any early chance on but be prepared for him to bust then too. As a whole this group is strong at the top and if I have a top ten and need a tackle then I’d gladly take Okung, Bulaga, Williams or Davis. After that I think you’re looking at guys, who have the potential to be starting caliber players in the league, but they’re far from finished products and they shouldn’t be expected to step in and contribute right away. Derek Hardman is one of my favorites and I’m a little surprised to see a lack of late round hype behind him, but we’ll how NFL teams view him come late April.

Interior OL
1. Mike Iupati :: Idaho
2. Maurkice Pouncey* :: Florida
3. Rodger Saffold :: Indiana
4. Jon Asamoah :: Illinois
5. Mike Johnson :: Alabama
6. John Jerry :: Mississippi
7. Matt Tennant :: Boston College
8. Zane Beadles :: Utah
9. Mitch Petrus :: Arkansas
10. Shawn Lauvao :: Arizona State
11. Ciron Black :: Louisiana State
12. Marshall Newhouse :: TCU
13. J.D. Walton :: Baylor
14. Brandon Carter :: Texas Tech
15. Shelley Smith :: Colorado State
16. Ted Larsen :: NC State
17. Eric Olsen :: Notre Dame
18. Sergio Render :: Virginia Tech
19. John Estes :: Hawaii
20. Jeff Byers :: USC

Underrated Prospect :: Shawn Lauvao
Overrated Prospect :: Sergio Render

Overall impressions :: It may sound like a broken record but the depth of the interior lineman is something to be excited about if you have a need there. I’d say the top 15 have starters potential, and that means that nearly half the teams could find themselves a starter along their line and there’s potential below those top 15 in which the guys can provide quality depth at the very least. A number of these guys have tackle experience at their resume, and there may be an adjustment period when some of them move inside to guard, but there’s no doubt in my mind that their best fit is inside and experimenting outside would probably be wasted time or not putting these players in a position to maximize their abilities. The days of Sergio Render having much of any pro potential is long behind him, and it’s amazing how his stock has dropped through the years.

DE
1. Derrick Morgan* :: Georgia Tech
2. Jason Pierre-Paul* :: South Florida
3. Carlos Dunlap* :: Florida
4. Everson Griffen* :: USC
5. Alex Carrington :: Arkansas State
6. Corey Wootton :: Northwestern
7. Austen Lane :: Murray State
8. Jermaine Cunningham :: Florida
9. CJ Wilson :: East Carolina
10. Daniel Te’o-Nesheim :: Washington
11. Brandon Lang :: Troy
12. Greg Hardy :: Mississippi
13. George Selvie :: South Florida
14. Hall Davis :: Louisiana-Lafayette
15. Lindsey Witten :: UCONN
16. Kevin Basped* :: Nevada
17. Rahim Alem :: Louisiana State
18. Willie Young :: NC State
19. Clifton Geathers :: South Carolina
20. Greg Middleton :: Indiana

Underrated Prospect :: Daniel Te’o-Nesheim
Overrated Prospect :: Everson Griffen

Overall impressions :: The top of this group is rated a lot more on potential than being a proven product. Derrick Morgan is a solid player and he has reached his maxed potential but his ceiling is not as high as Pierre-Paul or Dunlap, and one of the reasons why I place Morgan at the top is because of his higher floor. Greg Hardy started the year as the guy to beat but due to injuries he has fallen far and it may continue because he has stated how he’d like to be an outside backer instead of an end. Outside of the top five I don’t see a ton of potential with this group and at best they’ll be solid but not great as a whole. The smaller school guys have worked their way up in the rankings, and I feel it went this way because I believe those guys have more upside outside of the top five than anyone else. Many of the other positions are considered deep and it’s a good year to address those positions, but defensive end isn’t anything special.

DT
1. Ndamukong Suh :: Nebraska
2. Gerald McCoy* :: Oklahoma
3. Lamarr Houston :: Texas
4. Brian Price* :: UCLA
5. Jared Odrick :: Penn State
6. Torell Troup :: Central Florida
7. Dan Williams :: Tennessee
8. Arthur Jones :: Syracuse
9. Tyson Alualu :: California
10. Linval Joseph :: East Carolina
11. D’Anthony Smith :: Louisiana Tech
12. Geno Atkins :: Georgia
13. Mike Neal :: Purdue
14. Cam Thomas :: North Carolina
15. Terrence Cody :: Alabama
16. Corey Peters :: Kentcuky
17. Al Woods :: Louisiana State
18. Earl Mitchell :: Arizona
19. Vince Oghobaase :: Duke
20. Jeff Owens :: Georgia
21. Malcolm Sheppard :: Arkansas
22. Lorenzo Washington :: Alabama
23. Nate Collins :: Virginia
24. Jay Ross :: East Carolina
25. Brandon Deaderick :: Alabama
26. Andre Neblett :: Temple
27. Boo Robinson :: Wake Forest

Underrated Prospect :: Lamarr Houston
Overrated Prospect :: Cam Thomas/Terrence Cody

Overall impressions :: This group of defensive tackles may be my favorite position of the draft. The depth is impressive; whether you’re looking for a 3-technique, NT or even a 3-4 end, this class can fill those needs. I think this depth also allows a team like the Rams to entertain the idea of taking the top quarterback in the draft and then selecting the best tackle available at the top of round two, if that’s the direction they decide to go in. I’m hearing speculation that some of these guys like Houston and Peters can play end in a 3-4 effectively, and while that may be the case; I don’t think a team would be maximizing the player’s potential by placing him there. Players like Jared Odrick and D’Anthony Smith seem like better fits at end than at the 3-technique. There’s certainly differing views when it comes to players’ fits in different schemes and it’ll be interesting to see what executives feel is the best fit for some of these guys.

OLB
1. Brandon Graham :: Michigan
2. Sean Weatherspoon :: Missouri
3. Daryl Washington :: TCU
4. Sergio Kindle :: Texas
5. Jerry Hughes :: TCU
6. Eric Norwood :: South Carolina
7. Jason Worilds* :: Virginia Tech
8. Koa Misi :: Utah
9. Ricky Sapp :: Clemson
10. Thaddeus Gibson* :: Ohio State
11. AJ Edds :: Iowa
12. Novarro Bowman :: Penn State
13. Arthur Moats :: James Madison
14. O’Brien Schofield :: Wisconsin
15. Stevenson Sylvester :: Utah
16. Dekoda Watson :: Florida State
17. Rennie Curran* :: Georgia
18. Perry Riley :: Louisiana State
19. Roddrick Muckelroy :: Texas
20. Cameron Sheffield :: Troy
21. Keaton Kristick :: Oregon State

Underrated Prospect :: AJ Edds
Overrated Prospect :: Ricky Sapp/Sergio Kindle

Overall impressions :: This is a decent year for those 3-4 defenses to look and add an outside backer, but outside of that I’m not overly impressed by the class. I only see about four or five players (Weatherspoon, Washington, Kindle, Edds, and Bowman) who project to starters in a 4-3 scheme. I see a handful of special teamers in this group, and while that is still an important aspect of an NFL roster, it means that plenty of these guys will be waiting some time before they hear their names called. Remember all the pre-season hype about Justin Cole? Yeah, he’s not quite the player that some were hoping for.

ILB
1. Rolando McClain* :: Alabama
2. Donald Butler :: Washington
3. Sean Lee :: Penn State
4. Brandon Spikes :: Florida
5. Pat Angerer :: Iowa
6. Jamar Chaney :: Mississippi State
7. Kion Wilson :: South Florida
8. Phillip Dillard :: Nebraska
9. Darryl Sharpton :: Miami(FL)
10. Micah Johnson :: Kentucky
11. Joe Pawelek :: Baylor

Underrated Prospect :: Pat Angerer/Kion Wilson
Overrated Prospect :: Brandon Spikes

Overall impressions :: I like this group quite a bit and see a good share of these guys making solid impacts at the next level. I don’t know if any player has raised his stock as much as Donald Butler has, and I am one who is buying into the hype. Sean Lee hasn’t returned 100% to the play that he showed on the field prior to his injury, but physically I think he’s back to where he needs to be and the play on the field will catch up. I mentioned Brandon Spikes as my overrated player even though I still have him as my #4 inside backer, and I do think he’ll still be a nice player but he’s definitely nowhere near that first round, even top 15, player that he was projected to be as recent as Christmas time. Kion Wilson is a player that excites me and he often gets forgotten with the studs along the Bulls’ defensive line, but he’s a player that will make a positive impact, possibly in a starter’s role.

CB
1. Joe Haden* :: Florida
2. Kareem Jackson* :: Alabama
3. Kyle Wilson :: Boise State
4. Chris Cook :: Virginia
5. Alterraun Verner :: UCLA
6. Patrick Robinson :: Florida State
7. Devin McCourty :: Rutgers
8. Dominique Franks :: Oklahoma
9. Perrish Cox :: Oklahoma State
10. Amari Spievey* :: Iowa
11. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah :: Indiana(PA)
12. Brandon Ghee :: Wake Forest
13. Jerome Murphy :: South Florida
14. Donovan Warren* :: Michigan
15. Syd’Quan Thompson :: California
16. Trevard Lindley :: Kentucky
17. Kevin Thomas :: USC
18. AJ Jefferson :: Fresno State
19. Brian Jackson :: Oklahoma
20. Javier Arenas :: Alabama

Underrated Prospect :: Alterraun Verner
Overrated Prospect :: Patrick Robinson

Overall impressions :: Let me just start by saying that I am glad the Packers have a need at cornerback this off-season because the depth of this corner class is scary good. I have my top 20 guys ranked and I think there’s between five or ten more that deserve to be drafted. Joe Haden hasn’t kept himself separated from the rest of the field as he had when the off-season started but he does remain number one and guys like Kareem Jackson, Kyle Wilson and Devin McCourty have also contributed to the lessening of the gap thanks to strong off-seasons by them. Jerome Murphy is someone who gets a ton of hype because of his physical skills, but if you watched any South Florida football this year, you’d see that he still has quite a distance to go before he can be a solid player. One more thing, Chris Cook, much like Donald Butler, has helped himself a great deal the past few months and I like to compare him to Sean Smith from Utah from last year’s draft.

S
1. Eric Berry* :: Tennessee
2. Earl Thomas* :: Texas
3. Chad Jones* :: LSU
4. Taylor Mays :: USC
5. Nate Allen :: South Florida
6. Kendrick Lewis :: Mississippi
7. Morgan Burnett* :: Georgia Tech
8. Reshad Jones* :: Georgia
9. Larry Asante :: Nebraska
10. Major Wright* :: Florida
11. Robert Johnson :: Utah
12. Darrell Stuckey :: Kansas
13. Myron Rolle :: Florida State
14. Harry Coleman :: LSU
15. Myron Lewis :: Vanderbilt
16. TJ Ward :: Oregon
17. Barry Church :: Toledo
18. Kurt Coleman :: Ohio State
19. Kam Chancellor :: Virginia Tech
20. Terrell Skinner :: Maryland

Underrated Prospect :: Kendrick Lewis
Overrated Prospect :: Major Wright

Overall impressions :: Another good year for the Packers to address one of their needs because this safety class has some serious talent. I think nearly everyone I have on this list could be starters at some point in their careers. There are some players like Major Wright and Reshad Jones who I don’t find to be these outstanding talents like some feel, but I do recognize that they have the abilities and potential to be solid players. The player I’m most interested to see is Myron Rolle because we all know the story with him, but will he be able to get back on the football field and live up to all the hype he had coming out of high school and his days at Florida State.

DiG
03-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I havent read through it all yet but yikes you got lefevour a bit high there and its one thing to be down on colt mccoy but #9...ehhh. i know you have special love for lefevour though so ill let that slide. looking forward to reading everything more detailed. i always respect your rankings.

Babylon
03-25-2010, 04:46 PM
I like your rankings better than most. Cant see the lack of love for Riley Cooper though, to me he is probably a top 5 WR. He's going to be real tough to cover at the next level especially matched up against 2nd and 3rd rated CBs.

JustinD
03-26-2010, 08:28 PM
come on colt at #9! give him some love

JustinD
03-26-2010, 08:28 PM
overall pretty a pretty good job however