PDA

View Full Version : Moss to GB, what does this mean for our lions???

Bootland27
03-15-2007, 12:19 PM
http://blogs.usatoday.com/sportsscope/2007/03/moss_trade_to_g.html

A report in the Boston Herald states that the Raiders and Packers are close to finalizing and deal that will send Randy Moss to the Green Bay Packers for QB Aaron Rogers.

Oakland is surely taking CJ. When #2 rolls around both QBs will be on the board. Does this make it easier or more difficult for the Lions to trade the #2 pick?

Xiomera
03-15-2007, 12:39 PM
I am almost positive that Green Bay would not trade Aaron Rodgers to Oakland in this deal.

The best thing that could happen for Detroit would be for Oakland to still select QB JaMarcus Russell. If they take CJ, then the value of the pick goes down.

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I am almost positive that Green Bay would not trade Aaron Rodgers to Oakland in this deal.

The best thing that could happen for Detroit would be for Oakland to still select QB JaMarcus Russell. If they take CJ, then the value of the pick goes down.Actually, I don't know if the value would drop that much. With all of the teams looking for a QB, that would give us the top 2 QBs to offer to someone.

I dunno... I think we're in great shape either way.

Bootland27
03-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Actually, I don't know if the value would drop that much. With all of the teams looking for a QB, that would give us the top 2 QBs to offer to someone.

I dunno... I think we're in great shape either way.

I agree with Xiomera.... the value drops. You can't get a team like cleveland to trade up with you anymore cause at the end of the day, at least one QB will still be available when they pick.

detroit4life
03-15-2007, 03:20 PM
yea it would only hurt the lions if the raiders took CJ teams are looing at CJ more than the two QB's, and it takes cleveland out of it since they know they'll get a QB. Having one Qb and a great WR is a much better situation than two QBs

WMD
03-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Update: (4:38 p.m. ET) The Boston Herald has amended (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=188664&srvc=home) its story, saying that someone close to Aaron Rodgers has no knowledge of the proposed deal. Also, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel quotes two NFL personnel men calling news of a Moss-to-Green Bay deal "a joke" and "stupid." (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=578111)

(http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=578111)
Update: (3:08 p.m. ET) Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson has called the rumors of an imminent deal for Randy Moss "wild speculation (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2007-03-15-moss-rumors_N.htm)."

Update (1:47 p.m. ET): Green Bay CEO Bob Harlan tells the Green Bay Press-Gazette that a trade for Randy Moss is not imminent.

football guy
03-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Update: (4:38 p.m. ET) The Boston Herald has amended (http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=188664&srvc=home) its story, saying that someone close to Aaron Rodgers has no knowledge of the proposed deal. Also, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel quotes two NFL personnel men calling news of a Moss-to-Green Bay deal "a joke" and "stupid." (http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=578111)

(http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=578111)
Update: (3:08 p.m. ET) Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson has called the rumors of an imminent deal for Randy Moss "wild speculation (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2007-03-15-moss-rumors_N.htm)."

Update (1:47 p.m. ET): Green Bay CEO Bob Harlan tells the Green Bay Press-Gazette that a trade for Randy Moss is not imminent.

Bus Cook represents all 3 players in some capacity (Brett Favre, Randy Moss, and Calvin Johnosn) I would never believe what an NFL teams says in March and April. The fact that Green Bay says its not...makes me believe that it is. And Bus Cook has alot of money at stake if Calvin Johnson goes #1 which he can make happen is Moss gets traded.

LionSmack
03-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Even if they did trade Moss, that doesn't mean they automatically take CJ. Also, having Russell there at #2 would not hurt their trade prospects so much as it would change the possible slots.

P-L
03-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't think the value drops that much. Cleveland doesn't just want a quarterback, they want JaMarcus Russell. Phil Savage and Russell know each other real well and according to people who know about the Cleveland organization, Savage covets Russell. If Rodgers is dealt to Oakland then we could possibly convince Cleveland that we have offer for the #2 pick or we are interested in Russell. It could potentially give us more value.

Whether people want to believe it or not, most (if not close to all) NFL teams prefer JaMarcus Russell to Brady Quinn at this point. The Raiders aren't shopping their pick, so there is no trade buzz behind moving up to #1 to grab Russell. However, I promise if JaMarcus was sitting there at #2 that more than a few teams will be interested.

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 09:59 PM
I don't think the value drops that much. Cleveland doesn't just want a quarterback, they want JaMarcus Russell. Phil Savage and Russell know each other real well and according to people who know about the Cleveland organization, Savage covets Russell. If Rodgers is dealt to Oakland then we could possibly convince Cleveland that we have offer for the #2 pick or we are interested in Russell. It could potentially give us more value.

Whether people want to believe it or not, most (if not close to all) NFL teams prefer JaMarcus Russell to Brady Quinn at this point. The Raiders aren't shopping their pick, so there is no trade buzz behind moving up to #1 to grab Russell. However, I promise if JaMarcus was sitting there at #2 that more than a few teams will be interested.I was thinking the same thing about the topic. As CJ is an incredible WR prospect, JR is also an incredible QB prospect. It may give us different options, but options would definately still be there.

detroit4life
03-15-2007, 10:02 PM
But to my knowledge it looked like we didnt even attend russel's proday and went to stantons instead so it may be too late to show intrest in him

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 10:08 PM
But to my knowledge it looked like we didnt even attend russel's proday and went to stantons instead so it may be too late to show intrest in himI don't think the Lions need to show they WANT Russell... they just need to let other teams know that, if THEY want Russell, and they're 4-5 picks away, they'll have to trade up with us to get him.

It's the same with Quinn. We don't want him, but want other teams (picking around 6-10) to know that if THEY want him, they've gotta talk to us.

P-L
03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
But to my knowledge it looked like we didnt even attend russel's proday and went to stantons instead so it may be too late to show intrest in him
From what I heard there were representatives from all 32 teams at the LSU pro day. Sure, Marinelli and Millen went to the Michigan State pro day and not the LSU one, but I think location probably played some factor in that. Both were on the same day and they seem to be interested in both. The two hour drive to East Lansing is much easier to make for Millen and Marinelli then a 3 hour plane ride to Baton Rouge. I could be totally wrong and they could have absolutely zero interest in Russell at all and be drooling over Stanton, but my first impression was that location was a big factor.

TacticaLion
03-15-2007, 10:22 PM
From what I heard there were representatives from all 32 teams at the LSU pro day. Sure, Marinelli and Millen went to the Michigan State pro day and not the LSU one, but I think location probably played some factor in that. Both were on the same day and they seem to be interested in both. The two hour drive to East Lansing is much easier to make for Millen and Marinelli then a 3 hour plane ride to Baton Rouge. I could be totally wrong and they could have absolutely zero interest in Russell at all and be drooling over Stanton, but my first impression was that location was a big factor.If the pro days were on different days, you can expect M&M to show up to both. Since they were on the same day, I think it just shows how much they like and want Stanton. If Stanton was 10 hours away and JR was down the street, I STILL think they would've gone to see Stanton work-out.

Addict
03-16-2007, 06:46 AM
If the pro days were on different days, you can expect M&M to show up to both. Since they were on the same day, I think it just shows how much they like and want Stanton. If Stanton was 10 hours away and JR was down the street, I STILL think they would've gone to see Stanton work-out.

Besides, I really don't see us drafting Russel. If it's a QB with our first-rounder, it'll be Quinn.

Iamcanadian
03-16-2007, 07:42 AM
I find it funny that so many teams are potentially jocking for a chance to draft Russell or Quinn but Millen is probably going to pass on both. I guess those GM's must be dumber than Millen or just maybe they know what they are doing and Millen still hasn't a clue. Who would you put your money on???
We don't have a QB who can carry us to the playoffs never mind the Super Bowl and the guy we have starting is 35 and won't be around much longer. And we wonder why we haven't had a championship team in close to 50 years, it's mind boggling that we will have passed on Roethlisberger, Leinart, Cutler, Russell(Maybe) and Quinn. The teams that draft them are all going to be in the playoffs many, many times and perhaps win a couple of SB's while we are still trying to figure out what went wrong, AGAIN!! But what is really sad is that Detroit football fans actually agree with Millen's stratagy, that is even a sadder picture. You do all realize that you could be in your 40's before Detroit is a serious contender again, assuming Ford is dead by then. I can guarantee you that Millen's stratagy will never amount to anything, HE IS TOTALLY INCOMPETENT and whoever Ford eventually hires to replace him will need another 3 or 4 years to clean up the mess Millen leaves behind, provided of course, that Ford doesn't hire another incompetent fool to run his franchise.

P-L
03-16-2007, 09:14 AM
I am really starting the like Russell more and more leading up to the draft. I think I might actually like him more than I liked Jay Cutler last year, which is saying a lot. If the Raiders somehow pass on him, I really think the Lions should strongly consider him.

Aard
03-16-2007, 09:30 AM
...You do all realize that you could be in your 40's before Detroit is a serious contender again, assuming Ford is dead by then...

Sweet! I'm 47 and I'll be 48 before the season begins...that means the Lions will be competitive within the next two seasons! Thanks, Canuck!

TacticaLion
03-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I find it funny that so many teams are potentially jocking for a chance to draft Russell or Quinn but Millen is probably going to pass on both. I guess those GM's must be dumber than Millen or just maybe they know what they are doing and Millen still hasn't a clue. Who would you put your money on???
We don't have a QB who can carry us to the playoffs never mind the Super Bowl and the guy we have starting is 35 and won't be around much longer. And we wonder why we haven't had a championship team in close to 50 years, it's mind boggling that we will have passed on Roethlisberger, Leinart, Cutler, Russell(Maybe) and Quinn. The teams that draft them are all going to be in the playoffs many, many times and perhaps win a couple of SB's while we are still trying to figure out what went wrong, AGAIN!! But what is really sad is that Detroit football fans actually agree with Millen's stratagy, that is even a sadder picture. You do all realize that you could be in your 40's before Detroit is a serious contender again, assuming Ford is dead by then. I can guarantee you that Millen's stratagy will never amount to anything, HE IS TOTALLY INCOMPETENT and whoever Ford eventually hires to replace him will need another 3 or 4 years to clean up the mess Millen leaves behind, provided of course, that Ford doesn't hire another incompetent fool to run his franchise.*sigh*... once again, here we are.

We all knew this rant was coming... same as the previous (325,423) rants. Yes, we know the Lions have a horrible record over the last 6 years... and we know they've passed on top-notch players in the process. The important thing NOW is that they're rebuilding the franchise the RIGHT way.

You can get the 11 most talented players on the same field and still lose games... because it's the gameplan, chemistry and mindset (with reasonable talent) that wins championships. We've definately got the reasonable talent (which will only improve), and are establishing a positive, work-your-ass-off mindset and building chemistry through respect and hard work. If you can't see that... if you can only see the horrible record over the last 6 years and not the steps made towards improving it, you should find a new team to berate.

I'm tired of hearing your unreasonably negative ********. At times, you offer an intelligent perspective and reasonable arguments... yet, most of your posts claim the Lions will NEVER win with Millen and try to convince others how low the franchise is being driven. Both are not true.

So, shaddup... we've heard it all from you before. If you've got a reasonable argument about the draft, offseason or team in general, please voice it. If you're going to spend another 3,451 posts complaining about topics that every Lions fan is well aware of, stop now and save yourself the time. We don't want to hear it.

Addict
03-16-2007, 02:10 PM
*sigh*... once again, here we are.

We all knew this rant was coming... same as the previous (325,423) rants. Yes, we know the Lions have a horrible record over the last 6 years... and we know they've passed on top-notch players in the process. The important thing NOW is that they're rebuilding the franchise the RIGHT way.

You can get the 11 most talented players on the same field and still lose games... because it's the gameplan, chemistry and mindset (with reasonable talent) that wins championships. We've definately got the reasonable talent (which will only improve), and are establishing a positive, work-your-ass-off mindset and building chemistry through respect and hard work. If you can't see that... if you can only see the horrible record over the last 6 years and not the steps made towards improving it, you should find a new team to berate.

I'm tired of hearing your unreasonably negative ********. At times, you offer an intelligent perspective and reasonable arguments... yet, most of your posts claim the Lions will NEVER win with Millen and try to convince others how low the franchise is being driven. Both are not true.

So, shaddup... we've heard it all from you before. If you've got a reasonable argument about the draft, offseason or team in general, please voice it. If you're going to spend another 3,451 posts complaining about topics that every Lions fan is well aware of, stop now and save yourself the time. We don't want to hear it.

quoted for truth. Thanks Tactical, you spared me the trouble of having to write that down myself.

TacticaLion
03-16-2007, 03:45 PM
quoted for truth. Thanks Tactical, you spared me the trouble of having to write that down myself.It wont work, though... i've tried it before.

Mythos
03-16-2007, 08:58 PM
From what I heard there were representatives from all 32 teams at the LSU pro day. Sure, Marinelli and Millen went to the Michigan State pro day and not the LSU one, but I think location probably played some factor in that. Both were on the same day and they seem to be interested in both. The two hour drive to East Lansing is much easier to make for Millen and Marinelli then a 3 hour plane ride to Baton Rouge. I could be totally wrong and they could have absolutely zero interest in Russell at all and be drooling over Stanton, but my first impression was that location was a big factor.

I wouldn't put anything past Millen, but I'd be pretty appalled if the guy was pocketing 5mil/yr or whatever it is and shying away from a 3 hour plane ride.
It's tempting to read a little bit more into the LSU side of it, and say they're not interested in Landry either.

Addict
03-17-2007, 01:43 PM
It wont work, though... i've tried it before.

I know, I know but still... it has to be done.

reinar
04-10-2007, 04:08 AM
Moss is still possibly on the blocks to where?
Samuel from the pats to where?

who else would you consider Free agents worthy of a look?