PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Jake Locker Get a Pass and People Rip Terrell Pryor

dregolll
03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I really can't stand hypocrisy. I mean I read the things said about Pryor not being able to throw or read defenses, but you guys make it seem as though Jake Locker is the best thing since slice bread. In actuality Locker is only a 56% passer, so what the difference between him and Pryor? At least Pryor has led his team to back to back BSC bowl appearances while Locker has never been to a bowl game. I think Jake Locker is very overrated and the only reason why he is being mentioned as a top QB is because Todd Mcshay was lobbying for him hard last year. All he is, is a run first QB, who if the first read is not there he takes off and run. Now, please tell me how is that any diffrent from TP. I've heard people rip TP for his lack of throwing abilities but praising a 56% as the next great thing. The same people rip Jimmy Clausen for his lack of winning at Notre Dame, but Locker gets a pass and he has yet to play in a bowl game. I honestly know the Ryan Mallett blows Locker out of the water in terms of ability and Locker is no better than TP. I'm not trying to rip on anybody, but like I stated before, I hate the hypocrisy.

DeathbyStat
03-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Locker has better mechanics, plus locker beat USC without hardly any other talent on his team. Pryor was 0-2 against USC with great talent around him.

dregolll
03-26-2010, 12:19 PM
How does he have better mechanics, please explain because it's not like Pryor is a side arm thrower, he has a over the top delivery.

DeepThreat
03-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Coming from a huge Buckeyes fan, it's simple. Pryor isn't a good passer. He doesn't know when to use touch and when to put velocity behind the throw. He isn't accurate. He is terrible at throwing the deep ball, and he makes poor decisions.

Locker can actually pass the ball.

Clarkw267
03-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Let's see here...

1. Locker has a stronger arm
2. Locker has better mechanics in his delivery and in his footwork
3. Locker made a team that wasn't very talented competitive
4. Locker is playing in a true pro style offense, making pro style reads

Well Pryor... um he is a better runner.

DeathbyStat
03-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Let's see here...

Exactly the truth

CLong4Heisman
03-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Let's see here...

I'd make the argument that Locker is a better runner too. He doesn't just tuck it and run like Pryor but he make some plays with his feet by scrambling around and then throwing a 40 yard laser.
Plus Locker is playing with less talent around him and putting up better number.

Halsey
03-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm not gonna say that Pryor will ever be the prospect that Locker supposedly is, because I just don't know. In Pryor's defense, however, he's been in college for 2 years to Locker's 4. People already assume Pryor can never develop into a top pro prospect as a QB, but nobody was talking about Locker as a top prospect after his first 2 years either. I think Pryor has real potential and is more of a pro prospect than most think he is.

DeathbyStat
03-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Bottom line is Locker has a feel for the QB postition, Pryor doesn't and might never get it.

iowatreat54
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Also, not that it is a great excuse, but I was lead to believe that part of Locker's poor completion % had to do with his WRs not being able to catch.

I haven't watched Locker so I woudln't know, but I've watched a lot of Pryor, and his incompletions rarely have to do with his WRs.

brat316
03-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Pryor has been running that system for how long?

Locker has been in this system(pro style) for 1 year, he made major improvements and strides in 1 year.

Babylon
03-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I really can't stand hypocrisy. I mean I read the things said about Pryor not being able to throw or read defenses, but you guys make it seem as though Jake Locker is the best thing since slice bread. In actuality Locker is only a 56% passer, so what the difference between him and Pryor? At least Pryor has led his team to back to back BSC bowl appearances while Locker has never been to a bowl game. I think Jake Locker is very overrated and the only reason why he is being mentioned as a top QB is because Todd Mcshay was lobbying for him hard last year. All he is, is a run first QB, who if the first read is not there he takes off and run. Now, please tell me how is that any diffrent from TP. I've heard people rip TP for his lack of throwing abilities but praising a 56% as the next great thing. The same people rip Jimmy Clausen for his lack of winning at Notre Dame, but Locker gets a pass and he has yet to play in a bowl game. I honestly know the Ryan Mallett blows Locker out of the water in terms of ability and Locker is no better than TP. I'm not trying to rip on anybody, but like I stated before, I hate the hypocrisy.

Let's start with 58.2% passing last year, hurt for most of the previous year and dont care what he did before that under Herm. Locker is more the traditional pocket passer not a run first guy. (i would actually like to see him run more). Very nice form on his throws and a near elite arm for the next level. Very mature and team oriented. He has improved at going through his progressions and i think will continue to do so.

Pryor would have to be a project to me, his numbers at the college level are irrelevant to his pro potential. A great athlete but a weak arm with so-so mechanics and appears to have questionable grasp of an offense.

As for hypocricy i would probably be more inclined to compare Locker to a Robert Griffin if that is where you are going with this, not Pryor.

FUNBUNCHER
03-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Whether people consider Locker a great pro prospect or not has nothing to do with Terrell Pryor, and vice versa.

Judge each QB on their own merits, or lack thereof.
Stop trying to drag Locker into Pryor's (current) suckitude.

Hey, fall 2010 is a new season, and if Pryor looks like the 2nd coming of Mike Vick/Vince Young, people's attitudes will change in kind.

thetedginnshow
03-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Locker has better mechanics, plus locker beat USC without hardly any other talent on his team. Pryor was 0-2 against USC with great talent around him.

Now that's a stupid thing to say. The first time Pryor played USC he was without Beanie, it was his first significant action, and USC was loaded. The second time he played them they barely lost. However, when Locker played USC, they were coming off their big win against Ohio State, and were without Mays and Barkley.

But anyway, Locker might be overrated here, but he's certainly a better pro prospect than Pryor.

Halsey
03-26-2010, 02:11 PM
If people want to compare them vs. common opponents, let's compare them vs Oregon this past season.

Locker: 23-44 266yds, 1 TD, 2 ints, -16 yards rushing in a loss

Pryor: 23-37 266yds, 2 TD, 1 int, 72 yards rushing in a win

RaiderNation
03-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Locker is a QB that happens to be an athlete. Pryor is an athlete who happens to play QB. Thats how I see it. Locker is a true QB with a great arm, plays in a pro style offence, getting coach by Sark who coach Palmer, Sanchez and Leinart.

LetsGoGiants!
03-26-2010, 02:31 PM
If people want to compare them vs. common opponents, let's compare them vs Oregon this past season.

You may have just used one of TP's best games to compare here.

STsACE
03-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Priors' still got a ways to go with his development. Locker is further along, simple. In a year or two, Prior will start gaining some attention.

The worst thing for Prior will be to bolt after next year for the draft. He needs to stay until he graduates to get the most he can to be prepared for the NFL.

bucknut12
03-26-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm not sure about Locker but I'll tell ya about Pryor. There is no way he goes pro next year, and if he does, I wouldn't touch him with a 39 and a half foot pole. His Oregon game was a good, not great, college game. I'd say he is probably 35-40% there mentally understanding/doing everything it takes to be a great college throwing quarterback. I'd bet against him dramatically improving his knowledge of the game in 1 year and being worthy of a top 10 pick. Also, if he does grow as a thrower, he has maturity/prima dona issues and does not possess the true honest leadership quality that makes everyone rally around him. He can change, but that is just how it seems.

But do I love him, hell ya! Tressel and co. have been working like crazy to turn Pryor into a quarterback. I just see a possible great college player in the making but consistent qualities it takes to succeed in the pros at QB besides throwing issues...true team leader, live for football, mentally aware/smart enough, and mental toughness...I don't think he has...or has yet hopefully hahaha.

yourfavestoner
03-26-2010, 03:04 PM
I'm not gonna say that Pryor will ever be the prospect that Locker supposedly is, because I just don't know. In Pryor's defense, however, he's been in college for 2 years to Locker's 4. People already assume Pryor can never develop into a top pro prospect as a QB, but nobody was talking about Locker as a top prospect after his first 2 years either. I think Pryor has real potential and is more of a pro prospect than most think he is.

As of right now, Pryor's biggest problem is that he chose to go to a school with a more traditional, pro-style offense (ironic huh?). If he would have gone to Michigan he'd be getting way more hype as he'd be putting up Tebow-like numbers.

This is going to be a very important year for Pryor. He's shown growing pains trying to run a more traditional style offense as opposed to a wide-open one. If he shows significant progress this season, you'll start hearing "#1 overall when he comes out" rumblings.

Saints-Tigers
03-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Good post.

Powerhouse22112
03-26-2010, 03:29 PM
Todd Boeckman got screwed by Pryor. Pryor's had too much on his plate since he was a freshman. I understand he's unbelievably talented but if he was given a year to watch a real QB he might be better in his fundamentals and decision making. I don't blame Pryor as much as the coaching not correcting his decision making and trying to make him a better QB.

Morton
03-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Pryor improved alot this year, and showcased an elite arm and great accuracy in the Rose Bowl against Oregon.

I fully expect Terrell to develop into a top quarterback prospect next year in his junior year, and to declare for the draft and probably end up as a top 5 pick.

Pryor is the real deal. He's young, he's still developing, but he has elite physical tools on the next level.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Why is Locker over Ponder??

YotoJets007
03-26-2010, 04:12 PM
best wait until 2010 season is complete. I go with Locker because he responded to pro style very well last season.

Babylon
03-26-2010, 05:17 PM

Or vs. USC

Locker 21-35 237 yds in a win

Pryor 11-25 177 yds, 1 int in a loss.

Complex
03-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Or vs. USC

Locker played USC more than 1 time( I think he has been injuried alot so not to sure)

Complex
03-26-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure about Locker but I'll tell ya about Pryor. There is no way he goes pro next year, and if he does, I wouldn't touch him with a 39 and a half foot pole. His Oregon game was a good, not great, college game. I'd say he is probably 35-40% there mentally understanding/doing everything it takes to be a great college throwing quarterback. I'd bet against him dramatically improving his knowledge of the game in 1 year and being worthy of a top 10 pick. Also, if he does grow as a thrower, he has maturity/prima dona issues and does not possess the true honest leadership quality that makes everyone rally around him. He can change, but that is just how it seems.

But do I love him, hell ya! Tressel and co. have been working like crazy to turn Pryor into a quarterback. I just see a possible great college player in the making but consistent qualities it takes to succeed in the pros at QB besides throwing issues...true team leader, live for football, mentally aware/smart enough, and mental toughness...I don't think he has...or has yet hopefully hahaha.

Pudge is that you? lol

Sniper
03-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Or vs. USC

That doesn't work for Halsey's "PRYOR IZ DA GREATEST" argument.

Thumper
03-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Maybe because Locker has at least shown that he is starting to grasp the mental part of the game while Pryor looks like he can't handle anything. Pryor makes mistakes, he doesn't understand the finer parts of the QB spot and he isn't even a good playmaker for the most part and he certainly doesn't look like a 4.3 player on the field. Pryor just sucks overall.

Meanwhile Locker has shown the arm strength, accuracy, the ability to read defesenses, the ability to know where the second and third reads are, the fundamentals, he has the confidence, the pocket presence, he is a passer first, he plays in a pro-style offense and overall Jake Locker is just better on just about every level.

Halsey
03-26-2010, 06:40 PM
That doesn't work for Halsey's "PRYOR IZ DA GREATEST" argument.

Someone already brought up the USC games earlier. I never said Pryor was the greatest. You're only making that claim because you can't argue what I actually did say.

ThePudge
03-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Pudge is that you? lol

The strongest pro-Pryor argument I've seen anyone make.... Good contribution to the thread, you're really an asset here on the forums.

Funny... Ohio State fans telling it like it is & people still aren't happy. We have a high opinion of our players and it's bias, we have a low opinion and that can't be right either. Watching football and watching Terrelle Pryor play on a game to game basis could do a couple people a lot of good.

Sniper
03-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Someone already brought up the USC games earlier.

Not until after you tried to pass off Oregon as the only common factor.

You're only making that claim because you can't argue what I actually did say.

I systematically dismantled your argument in another thread, but you basically chose to ignore it. Don't you find it a bit odd that Ohio State fans are telling you this guy's nowhere near as good as you say he is?

JustinD
03-26-2010, 08:24 PM
People always seem to become enamored with these product of the system college players. Pryor has all the talent in the world around him and he still isn't efficient in the passing game. He is one heck of an athlete, someone should of just told him somewhere along the way that a 6'6" 225 lbs guy with amazing physical gifts and questionable intelligence should play Small Forward in the NBA and not QB in the NFL.

LetsGoGiants!
03-26-2010, 08:26 PM
The reason Locker is more hyped than Pryor is because he has much better arm strength and mechanics than Pryor. Pryor hasn't really proved himself at the college level. I also believe Locker can run almost or just as well as Pryor.

Brent
03-26-2010, 08:28 PM
I think the scary thing is how good DeVier Posey can look with Pryor at QB.

Halsey
03-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Not until after you tried to pass off Oregon as the only common factor.

Their games vs USC were brought up in the first reply to this thread. Well before I posted in it. Do you ever have your facts straight?

Sniper
03-26-2010, 08:44 PM
Their games vs USC were brought up in the first reply to this thread. Well before I posted in it. Do you ever have your facts straight?

Their records were, their stats weren't. Again, I'll ask. Don't you find it weird that even Ohio State fans aren't defending this guy? Stop dancing around questions. Thanks.

Sniper
03-26-2010, 08:45 PM

It's awesome that you're operating under the assumption that Pryor and Locker have even similar supporting casts and defenses.

OneToughGame
03-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Locker a run first QB last year? Really? You really didn't watch Locker last season now did you?

Complex
03-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Or vs. USC

Locker Vs USC

28-13 90YDS 1int in a loss

The strongest pro-Pryor argument I've seen anyone make.... Good contribution to the thread, you're really an asset here on the forums.

Funny... Ohio State fans telling it like it is & people still aren't happy. We have a high opinion of our players and it's bias, we have a low opinion and that can't be right either. Watching football and watching Terrelle Pryor play on a game to game basis could do a couple people a lot of good.

No I thought it was you (and probaly is You) because you take this stuff super serious.

Halsey
03-26-2010, 09:12 PM
There were UGA fans who thought Stafford wasn't a good pro prospect. That's fans for you. Top QBs coming out of high school face lofty expectations. If they get to campus and don't immediately set the world on fire, fans are disappointed and overreact. Pryor is a 20 year old true sophomore. Just because he doesn't already look like an NFL QB doesn't mean he's not a good prospect. The reality is he's been much better in his first 2 years of college than Locker was.

bored of education
03-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Pryor needs to prove that he can read a defense, go through progressions and stand in the pocket and make a quick sound decision throwing wise. He hasn't developed any of that, I wouldn't say Locker has developed much of that either but Locker at least has progressed quite a bit and has much better coaching.

BaLLiN
03-26-2010, 09:20 PM
in limited viewing of Pryor, i see a stronger armed but less agile and less tough Vince Young.

iowatreat54
03-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Locker Vs USC

No I thought it was you (and probaly is You) because you take this stuff super serious.

And Pudge is probably one of the best on the site in terms of scouting players. He also wants to do that for a living, that's why he takes it seriously.

I'm glad someone who has been on the site for about a month has determined that one of the better posters has nothing better to do than to create a 2nd account to try and look good. I mean, it wasn't even a 2nd account to support his own argument. Pudge hadn't even posted yet. Why would he create a dummy account to make a post when he could just post it on his "normal" account?

Honestly, when god was handing out brains, some people apparently thought he said trains and skipped that day.

03-26-2010, 09:23 PM
in limited viewing of Pryor, i see a stronger armed but less agile and less tough Vince Young.

I certainly wouldn't say he's the stronger armed QB.

Sniper
03-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Again, why are people bothering to pretend like Pryor and Locker have anywhere near the same supporting cast?

BaLLiN
03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
I certainly wouldn't say he's the stronger armed QB.

and that is why i said limited viewing. But his comparisons to Vince are probably going to be ever more apparent in the future when he undergoes the draft process. I wonder how much worse it wouldve been if Pryor went to PSU....

bored of education
03-26-2010, 09:26 PM
Again, why are people bothering to pretend like Pryor and Locker have anywhere near the same supporting cast?

I am not.

Complex
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
And Pudge is probably one of the best on the site in terms of scouting players. He also wants to do that for a living, that's why he takes it seriously.

I'm glad someone who has been on the site for about a month has determined that one of the better posters has nothing better to do than to create a 2nd account to try and look good. I mean, it wasn't even a 2nd account to support his own argument. Pudge hadn't even posted yet. Why would he create a dummy account to make a post when he could just post it on his "normal" account?

Honestly, when god was handing out brains, some people apparently thought he said trains and skipped that day.

I thought it was pudge because we were talking abut Terrelle Pryor in another thread. Yes he must be great scout lmao.Let me post everyday maybe I can become a great "Scout".(you gonna negative rep me again?loser)

iowatreat54
03-26-2010, 09:41 PM
I thought it was pudge because we were talking abut Terrelle Pryor in another thread. Yes he must be great scout lmao.Let me post everyday maybe I can become a great "Scout".(you gonna negative rep me again?loser)

I didn't neg rep you but ok.

Also, the bucknut poster's account was created in 07. Do you honestly think Pudge sat around with a 2nd account for 3 years, praying for a day that someone brings up Pryor, just so that he can randomly make a comment in the thread with that account rather than his own?

Like I said, trains, brains, same thing...

SickwithIt1010
03-26-2010, 09:44 PM
If anyone in their right mind thinks that Pryor is anywhere near the passer that Locker is they are out of their mind. Like many people have said in this forum Locker's completion % is terrible, but that is also while he is running for his life for the past couple seasons and then having no one to throw to. This past season he started to show signs of how good he can be, with the work hes putting in with Sark he is only going to get better, and I believe that he will show that this year.

Pryor on the other hand, has all the talent in the world around him and is just not living up to any type of expectations. Hes got bad mechanics, he has a weak arm, he doesnt play fast (supposed 4.3 40? cmon) if hes going to be a running QB at least show some speed. He really needs to have a coming out party this season or I really think that he is bound for WR at the next level.

Complex
03-26-2010, 09:49 PM
;) I didn't neg rep you but ok.

Also, the bucknut poster's account was created in 07. Do you honestly think Pudge sat around with a 2nd account for 3 years, praying for a day that someone brings up Pryor, just so that he can randomly make a comment in the thread with that account rather than his own?

No, but he could of used it in the past when he was banned(if he was), to try to look good and other things. Oh and it was Pudge that gave me a negative rep me lol that loser. Pudge I might negative rep you :o

bored of education
03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Pryor does have speed. Him running full speed looks like Randy Moss, so effortless yet covers a lot of ground quickly.

Babylon
03-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Locker Vs USC

Was that his redshirt freshman year and what is your point?

SickwithIt1010
03-26-2010, 10:00 PM

was thinking the same thing my man.

Complex
03-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Locker sucked in the beginning too that was my point and he wasn't the next Steve Young/1st pick in next years draft when he started.

thetedginnshow
03-26-2010, 10:23 PM
I think the scary thing is how good DeVier Posey can look with Pryor at QB.

Posey is a beast. That's Pryor's best friend though. They've practiced that back shoulder throw a ton.

Michigan
03-26-2010, 10:37 PM
it's funny how osu fans are giving objective opinions on pryor but noone's listening. pretty much everything they've said is true. special athlete, average arm/mechanics, poor feel for the position, questionable QB coaching

bored of education
03-26-2010, 10:40 PM
it's funny how osu fans are giving objective opinions on pryor but noone's listening. pretty much everything they've said is true. special athlete, average arm/mechanics, poor feel for the position, questionable QB coaching

im being honest! bastards! wake me up when Michigan beats OSU kthankx

TACKLE
03-26-2010, 10:52 PM
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever.

Seems like an impressive young man.

FUNBUNCHER
03-26-2010, 10:53 PM

Don't hate, dude.

There's a lot of intelligent, thoughtful, insightful analysis of football players on this site, which is why I've gradually shifted away from reading draft guides because they don't give me anymore 'inside scoop' on a player than I get from SWDC.

When Pudge and a handful of others post anything about a player, I get the impression they want someone to be able to go back 5 years from now and respect what they've written about a prospect.

Pudge is not infallible, nor is anyone on this site, even Scott(!!):rolleyes: , but at least there's a reasoned thought process behind any negative or positive opinion he has about a player, and as a football fan, I respect and appreciate that.

As for being a 'scout', those guys are made, not born.
Pudge is 20, wants to do this in real time, so what's the crime in approaching player analysis the way a scout would??

Don't hate.
Participate.

Incogneetus69
03-26-2010, 10:57 PM
And why is Donavan Mcnabb being shopped but Drew Brees isnt? Hmmm?

The truth hurts.....

bored of education
03-26-2010, 11:02 PM

The truth hurts.....

ummmmmmmmmmm please explain this.

Thumper
03-26-2010, 11:05 PM
ummmmmmmmmmm please explain this.

Oh jeez I hope he doesn't go the route I'm thinking he is about to go

bored of education
03-26-2010, 11:06 PM

I want to see which route he actually takes.

Giantsfan1080
03-26-2010, 11:17 PM
SupportingCaste is that you?

Incogneetus69
03-26-2010, 11:18 PM
No route. Clearly joking

TACKLE
03-26-2010, 11:53 PM
SupportingCaste is that you?

SupportingCaste isn't one of them.

God, I hope this thread doesn't go that direction.

Saints-Tigers
03-27-2010, 12:26 AM
But Drew Brees is black on the inside.

ThePudge
03-27-2010, 01:14 AM
;)

No, but he could of used it in the past when he was banned(if he was), to try to look good and other things. Oh and it was Pudge that gave me a negative rep me lol that loser. Pudge I might negative rep you :o

Go ahead, I won't act like a little ***** about it. Rep doesn't add inches to my dick, it's a website discussion board. I neg repped you because you took a shot at me in a discussion that I wasn't even a part of. I've never made a comment like "Is that you Complex?" in any thread, in fact I don't know if I've ever acknowledged you in a thread. If you hadn't brought me up in a discussion then I wouldn't neg rep you, I've used the neg rep option twice in my time here. Sorry I ruined your Friday night.

Flyboy
03-27-2010, 02:09 AM
But Drew Brees is black on the inside.

This is a true story.

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2009/10/25/21/6121037.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.JPG

Saints-Tigers
03-27-2010, 02:48 AM
I didn't neg rep you but ok.

This is exactly what pudge would say... if this were his 3rd account.

I'm on to you!!!

critesy
03-27-2010, 03:09 AM
we shoudl really be talking about cameron newton here.

PickedOffTwice
03-27-2010, 07:16 AM

To be honest with you, that was the route the OP intended all along, I think. Or at least he tried to bait us into it.

STsACE
03-27-2010, 09:44 AM

The truth hurts.....

Brees: Superbowl win - check

McNabb: Superbowl win - nope, but did appear.

Please, don't tell me you were going the skin color route. Afterall, we're all just different shades of gray man. So, you'd have no validity.

Brent
03-27-2010, 10:11 AM
most people dont watch Pac-10 football around here

ThePudge
03-27-2010, 10:36 AM
most people dont watch Pac-10 football around here

I think if they were to watch Big 10 football then this subject would have been on hold for at least a year. Pryor has all the potential in the world, he has weapons, a solid running game, and a strong OL. If in his Junior year he still can't show signs of being one of the best Quarterbacks in the conference (or nation, as he should be) then we've got a real discussion topic here. Maybe he takes those big strides forward this year as he very well could, but as anyone who has watched OSU football the past two years will tell you, he's just not there yet & he's done nothing that would make me think he'll be worth a first round pick.

P-L
03-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Locker Vs USC

So now we are quoting stats from way back before Locker worked with one of the most successful quarterback coaches in recent history? You're right, what Jake Locker did as a true freshman with terrible coaching is totally relevant to this argument. In fact, I can't fathom why this wasn't brought up earlier.

I find it humorous that people are trying to compare these two despite Jake Locker putting up superior stats while playing with less than half the talent around him that Pryor has.

Steve Sarkisian has put the last four quarterbacks he's coached into the NFL, three of which were top ten picks. Jake Locker has more pure talent than any of the previous four and has already shown immense improvement in just one season under Sarkisian. On the other hand, the current Ohio State staff has not put a quarterback in the NFL that was drafted before the 5th round. I might as well add that all of the previous Buckeye quarterbacks were far more advanced as a passer than Pryor is. That is why Locker gets hype and Pryor doesn't. If Pryor greatly improves next year and shows that the Rose Bowl was not an aberration, he'll get hype too.

TACKLE
03-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Locker Vs USC

I was actually at that game. #1 ranked USC beat Washington 27-24. Jake Locker was the only reason they were in that game. He didn't have a very good game passing but his WR's were totally outmatched. But throwing the ball, he made the plays when they needed them. He also ran for 50 yards and 2 TD's. He was only a true freshman against the #1 team in the country. I don't care what his stats were, the guy took his team on his back and almost beat SC. I came away from that game knowing he was going to be a special player down the road.

batsandgats
03-27-2010, 12:06 PM

The truth hurts.....

Brees is with his second team and just won a supebowl, his 4th year there and took them to the NFC championship game his first year there, the first time in franchise history. His first team was ready to give up on him when they drafted Rivers.

McNabb probably needs a change of scenery and I could see him winning a superbowl before he retires.

Babylon
03-27-2010, 12:33 PM
I was actually at that game. #1 ranked USC beat Washington 27-24. Jake Locker was the only reason they were in that game. He didn't have a very good game passing but his WR's were totally outmatched. But throwing the ball, he made the plays when they needed them. He also ran for 50 yards and 2 TD's. He was only a true freshman against the #1 team in the country. I don't care what his stats were, the guy took his team on his back and almost beat SC. I came away from that game knowing he was going to be a special player down the road.

Same here, i still dont like the cheap shot the SC defensive back put on Jake out of bounds, i believe he was a RS frosh then by the way.

summond822
03-27-2010, 12:41 PM
The simple reason why Locker gets hyped more than Pryor is the Huskies cannot survive without him, whereas the Buckeyes would probably do just as well without Pryor. In the 0-12 season, Washington was a extra point away from going into OT with a top 25 team at the time with Locker. He ended up missing the majority of that season, and the Huskies had no offense without him.

Last year he's healthy for all 12 games and the team goes 5-7 against one of the hardest schedules in the nation without a lot of talent. Pryor in the meantime lost at home to a USC team that Locker managed to beat at home 16-13. Now say what you want, but at the end of the game Locker made the plays necessary to beat USC, Pryor didn't.

jballa838
03-27-2010, 01:47 PM
What Summond said. I have seen more Locker than a lot of people on here, if not the majority with the exception to some of the dudes who are still up in WA. Jake Locker is one of the best prospects I have ever seen just because of what he can do. He ran like crazy with He Who Shall Not Be Named calling the plays his freshman year and now he has a QB guru who is molding him into an even better prospect. As Summond also said, without Locker there is no guarantee this UW team would have won a game this year since they didn't win without him the year before. His entire WR Core returns another year older, so I wouldnt be surprised if he looks even better this year. I do not know enough on Pryor to say anything in that category, but i like my odds that he isn't on Lockers level yet.

descendency
03-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Because ones a future NFL WR and ones a QB.

That's why. Pryor gets by on his athleticism and Locker is developing. Pryor needs coaching that tOSU isn't providing or he isn't capable of developing.

Halsey
03-27-2010, 05:46 PM
One funny thing about people's argument against Pryor is how they'll spin the quality of his supporting cast to fit their argument. If I point out that Pryor was given the Archie Griffin Offensive MVP award for 2009, they say it's not impressive because he didn't have much competition, but then they'll turn around later and say he's successful because of a great supporting cast. So which is it?

edit: Oh, and the fact that Pryor has NFL WR talent is another reason he'll be drafted no later than the second round. A team can draft him and use him as a backup QB/wildcat QB/WR while they try to develop him into a starter.

lrZYZktLdns

Sniper
03-27-2010, 05:48 PM
One funny thing about people's argument against Pryor is how they'll spin the quality of his supporting cast to fit their argument. If I point out that Pryor was given the Archie Griffin Offensive MVP award for 2009, they say it's not impressive because he didn't have much competition, but then they'll turn around later and say he's successful because of a great supporting cast. So which is it?

The Archie Griffin Offensive MVP doesn't count the defense nowadays, does it?

Ohio State has a lot of good players but no superstars on offense.

Brent
03-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Pryor pushed off on that catch, too.

Thumper
03-27-2010, 06:13 PM
I just watched Pyror highlights and there is no way in hell that guy ran a real 4.3, he isn't very fast on the field, he looks like he might run a 4.7 or maybe a 4.6 on a good day. People compare him to Vince but Pryor isn't as fast as Vince, doesn't have the same vision as Vince, he doesn't have the same elusive ability and he doesn't have the same power as Vince.

I'll give Pryor something though, he has the arm strength to succeed. So he might be a Raider?

iowatreat54
03-27-2010, 08:17 PM
edit: Oh, and the fact that Pryor has NFL WR talent is another reason he'll be drafted no later than the second round. A team can draft him and use him as a backup QB/wildcat QB/WR while they try to develop him into a starter.

I don't think one person has said Pryor isn't talented.

Almost everyone is saying Pryor sucks at QB. He will probably get drafted high based on athleticism and potential, but as of right now, no one in their right mind would draft him to purely be a QB.

First you say Pryor is growing as a QB and has shown signs of improvement, enough to be a NFL QB prospect, now you are saying teams will draft him as a WR/wildcat QB. Which is it?

(See how I can play that argument too?)

Halsey
03-27-2010, 08:52 PM
First you say Pryor is growing as a QB and has shown signs of improvement, enough to be a NFL QB prospect, now you are saying teams will draft him as a WR/wildcat QB. Which is it?

(See how I can play that argument too?)

You're playing the same game you have in the past: spin the words. I clearly said he could play multiple roles WHILE a team tries to develop him into a starting NFL QB.

Sniper
03-27-2010, 09:06 PM
You're playing the same game you have in the past: spin the words. I clearly said he could play multiple roles WHILE a team tries to develop him into a starting NFL QB.

You're giving Pryor's intelligence way more credit than it's due. You want him to play other positions while he tries to learn QB?

coCANES17
03-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Because Locker is white and Pryor is black. :rolleyes:

kidding, kidding.

Honestly, Locker is a little more polished at this point. He still isn't there yet but he has the potential to be a Franchise Quarterback. He has the same type of game and makeup along the lines of Young and Elway. He's got a lot of work to do but just looking at him you can see he has that specialness in him that the rare ones have.

Pryor gets a lot of undeserved flack. He is not a traditional drop back QB so he's gonna get a lot of criticism when talking about his Pro potential. Pryor can be great as well he just has a little more work to do and refinement to be done. I didn't like that Ohio State fans were giving him so much grief last year. He truly can be the next Vince Young like they say but he needs time to mature. He got his feet wet last year, made some mistakes,went through some rough patches, but grew up towards the end of the year.

I expect big things from both in the future.

FUNBUNCHER
03-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I just watched Pyror highlights and there is no way in hell that guy ran a real 4.3, he isn't very fast on the field, he looks like he might run a 4.7 or maybe a 4.6 on a good day. People compare him to Vince but Pryor isn't as fast as Vince, doesn't have the same vision as Vince, he doesn't have the same elusive ability and he doesn't have the same power as Vince.

I'll give Pryor something though, he has the arm strength to succeed. So he might be a Raider?

VY ran a high 4.5 predraft, if I remember correctly. I think Pryor blows that time away whenever he decides to come out.
Pryor just isn't very quick in tight spaces or elusive, but if he ever breaks past the LBs in full stride, I don't think anyone on the field catches him.
If Pryor stays all 4 years at OSU, I can see him playing QB in the NFL. But he needs AT LEAST 2 more years as a starter before he's ready to make the jump.

thetedginnshow
03-28-2010, 02:51 AM
It isn't that Pryor's not elusive or anything. He just isn't particularly smart, added on to the fact that he thinks he's strong enough to break out of any tackle (ala Big Ben) so he kind of just takes hits while he tries to scan the field.

RealityCheck
03-28-2010, 07:45 AM

The truth hurts.....
Hmmm... Brees is the current SB winner, a huge leader and the best QB in the NFL right now. And he's gonna be in the cover of Madden. And he has at least seven or eight years left.

McNabb only has 2 years left in him, is getting inconsistent and inaccurate. And the Eagles have a 3-year project more than ready to start.

GoRavens
03-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Locker is definitely overrated.
Pryor will never be an NFL receiver.
He's a QB.
But his arm sucks and Lockers doesn't

Halsey
03-28-2010, 11:44 AM
It will be interesting to see how much weight Pryor can add as he matures. He's only 20 and I've seen him listed between 230 and 240. Every QB wishes they could be 6'5, 245 and able to run a sub-4.5 40.

Babylon
03-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Locker is definitely overrated.
Pryor will never be an NFL receiver.
He's a QB.
But his arm sucks and Lockers doesn't

Locker didnt even get a 1st round grade by the draft board so how is he overrated? I guess you mean by people in here.

As for Pryor he is ideal for the college game, especially when he is surrounded by a talented supporting cast. If we're getting back to the OT of hypocrisy the ironic thing is he's probably the second coming of Matt Jones, who never got a shot at being a pro QB. That probably dispels hypocrisy talk.

Race for the Heisman
03-28-2010, 12:18 PM
I just want to say one thing real quick. Supporting cast (including the defense, where Ohio State had several standouts and was generally very good) obviously does pertain to winning games, and you can even make an indirect argument for offensive statistics given the defense's contributions to time of possession, starting field position, and whatnot, but the supporting cast (on offense) surrounding Pryor is hardly fantastic. That's not to say anything positive of those players around Locker, because I saw them suck something awful on more than one occasion, but Ohio State's offensive line has been incredibly mediocre over the last two years for whatever the vaunted Block O class was worth. Brewster is good, yes, but beyond that? The line went from being a sieve Pryor's freshman year to being serviceable in the run game, though that's to say nothing about pass pro. As far as the other positions go, Saine is quite good, yes, but he's not fantastic, Herron is an above-average college back, nothing more, and among the receivers Posey is obviously fantastic and Sanzenbacher is a pretty good college player who might end up like Davone Bess in the pros, but the offensive line really did choke hard for most of his two seasons.

Now that could change for next year, but probably more so regarding the skill positions than the offensive line (though I'll keep my fingers crossed).

Again, not saying anything about Locker's people for comparison's sake, I just don't think it's fair to build up the people around Pryor when they really weren't/aren't that good.

Complex
03-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Go ahead, I won't act like a little ***** about it. Rep doesn't add inches to my dick, it's a website discussion board. I neg repped you because you took a shot at me in a discussion that I wasn't even a part of. I've never made a comment like "Is that you Complex?" in any thread, in fact I don't know if I've ever acknowledged you in a thread. If you hadn't brought me up in a discussion then I wouldn't neg rep you, I've used the neg rep option twice in my time here. Sorry I ruined your Friday night.

lol You are the one acting like ***** that's why you negative repped me. I don't know care about the rep stuff, I just thought it was funny as hell that you thought it was gonna hurt my feelings or something.

Now back to the topic: I guarantee that Pryor will be a 1st round pick.Top 10 pick happy guy below me?

MiWolves
03-28-2010, 12:53 PM
lol You are the one acting like ***** that's why you negative repped me. I don't know care about the rep stuff, I just thought it was funny as hell that you thought it was gonna hurt my feelings or something.

Now back to the topic: I guarantee that Pryor will be a 1st round pick.I guarantee that Pryor will be a 1st round pick.

No ****. His athletic ability alone could make him a 1st round pick. Look at Bruce Campbell.

baronzeus
03-28-2010, 01:02 PM

I would be willing to bet money that he runs the 40 in the 4.5s or better. I think you are wayyyy underestimating his speed and it's because he has deceptively huge strides.

Pittbc7
03-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Terrell Pryor is the exact same player Matt Jones was at the QB position. He gets the hype because he goes to a big time program.

iowatreat54
03-28-2010, 01:58 PM

Yes, that's the point. I was mocking your argument.

You've stated that Pryor has shown progression and ability to be an NFL QB by the time he's drafted. Now you've said he has athletic abilities and teams will draft him to play another position while developing him at QB.

That's the point. If that happens, teams won't be drafting him because he is an NFL caliber QB. They would be drafting him based on his potential and hopes they can develop him into a QB, while he has the athletic ability to play somewhere else.

Do you not see how you are contradicting yourself? You can't say that he will progress enough and draftable as purely an NFL QB, and then come back and say teams will draft him as an athlete and develop him into a QB. That isn't the same thing.

In fact, your 2nd statement about him being athletic and teams will draft him to try and develop him, is the main argument those of us against Pryor are trying to make. He's incredibly athletic and talented, but no where near a good QB or able to play in the NFL.

ThePudge
03-28-2010, 04:24 PM

Now back to the topic: I guarantee that Pryor will be a 1st round pick.Top 10 pick happy guy below me?

I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings while you were sitting home on Friday night. As I said, I've only used the negative option twice... I don't like to be called out in discussions that I'm not involved in. Not sure why that negative rep (of only about 200) affected you so much. If you have a problem with people taking football/the draft seriously you're in the wrong place, maybe you should hang in the Off Topic forum.

No one gives a **** that you guarantee Pryor will be a first round pick a year or two from now, no one's going to remember that. No reasoning behind it, just another mindless statement. I never said he couldn't be a Top 5-10 pick, but if his draft were tomorrow (which it's not) then Pryor would be out of luck because to date he's done nothing worthy of a lofty grade. His mental makeup is not what you want to see from an NFL Quarterback & I doubt any team would have confidence in drafting him on the first day. If he lives up to his potential then of course he's a Top 10 prospect, but if you cared enough to watch the guy play (like the OSU/Michigan/Big Ten fans in this thread) then you'd know he's not close.

If I need info on Eric Norwood, I ask an SC fan. If I need the scoop on Jerrod Johnson, I talk to an A&M fan. Likewise, Ohio State fans have had the most exposure & have seen both the good (Oregon) and the bad (Purdue) in Pryor. He appears a long way off but once again I expect him to make strides this year & maybe prove some of the doubters wrong.